RemedySpot.com

Sunflower seeds

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Looking for a health-promoting snack? A handful of sunflower seeds will take care of your hunger, while also enhancing your health by supplying significant amounts of vitamin E, magnesium and selenium. Anti-Inflammatory and Cardiovascular Benefits from Sunflower Seeds' Vitamin E Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of vitamin E, the body's primary fat-soluble antioxidant. Vitamin E travels throughout the body neutralizing free radicals that would otherwise damage fat-containing structures and molecules, such as cell membranes, brain cells, and cholesterol. By protecting these cellular and molecular components, vitamin E has significant anti-inflammatory effects that result in the reduction of symptoms in asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, conditions where free radicals and inflammation play a big role. Vitamin E has also been shown to reduce

the risk of colon cancer, help decrease the severity and frequency of hot flashes in women going through menopause, and help reduce the development of diabetic complications. In addition, vitamin E plays an important role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Vitamin E is one of the main antioxidants found in cholesterol particles and helps prevent free radicals from oxidizing cholesterol. Only after it has been oxidized is cholesterol able to adhere to blood vessel walls and initiate the process of atherosclerosis, which can lead to blocked arteries, heart attack, or stroke. Getting plenty of vitamin E can significantly reduce the risk of developing atherosclerosis. In fact, studies show that people who get a good amount of vitamin E are at a much lower risk of dying of a heart attack than people whose dietary intake of vitamin E is marginal or inadequate. Just a quarter-cup of sunflower seeds contains 90.5% of the daily value for vitamin E. Sunflower Seeds' Phytosterols Lower Cholesterol Phytosterols are compounds found in plants that have a chemical structure very similar to cholesterol, and when present in the diet in sufficient amounts, are believed to reduce blood levels of cholesterol, enhance the immune response and decrease risk of certain cancers. Phytosterols beneficial effects are so dramatic that they have been extracted from soybean, corn, and pine tree oil and added to processed foods, such as "butter"-replacement spreads, which are then touted as cholesterol-lowering "foods." But why settle for an imitation "butter" when Mother Nature's nuts and seeds are a naturally rich source of phytosterols-and cardio-protective fiber, minerals and healthy fats as well? In a study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, researchers published the amounts of phytosterols present in nuts and seeds commonly eaten in the United States. Sesame seeds had the highest total phytosterol content (400-413 mg per 100 grams), and English walnuts and Brazil nuts the lowest (113 mg/100grams and 95 mg/100 grams). (100 grams is equivalent to 3.5 ounces.) Of the nuts and seeds typically consumed as snack foods, sunflower seeds and pistachios were richest in phytosterols (270-289 mg/100 g), followed by pumpkin seeds (265 mg/100 g). Calm Your Nerves, Muscles and Blood Vessels with Sunflower Seeds' Magnesium Sunflower seeds are a good source of magnesium. Numerous studies have demonstrated that magnesium helps reduce the severity of asthma, lower high blood pressure, and prevent migraine headaches, as well as reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke. Magnesium is also necessary for healthy bones and energy production. About two-thirds of the magnesium in the human body is found in our

bones. Some helps give bones their physical structure, while the rest is found on the surface of the bone where it is stored for the body to draw upon as needed. Magnesium counterbalances calcium, thus helping to regulate nerve and muscle tone. In many nerve cells, magnesium serves as Nature's own calcium channel blocker, preventing calcium from rushing into the nerve cell and activating the nerve. By blocking calcium's entry, magnesium keeps our nerves (and the blood vessels and muscles they ennervate) relaxed. If our diet provides us with too little magnesium, however, calcium can gain free entry, and the nerve cell can become overactivated, sending too many messages and causing excessive contraction. Insufficient magnesium can thus contribute to high blood pressure, muscle spasms (including spasms of the heart muscle or the spasms of the airways symptomatic of asthma), and migraine headaches, as well as muscle cramps, tension, soreness and fatigue. A quarter cup

of sunflower seeds provides 31.9% of the daily value for magnesium. Improved Detoxification and Cancer Prevention from Sunflower Seeds' Selenium Sunflower seeds are also a good source of selenium, a trace mineral that is of fundamental importance to human health. Accumulated evidence from prospective studies, intervention trials and studies on animal models of cancer has suggested a strong inverse correlation between selenium intake and cancer incidence. Selenium has been shown to induce DNA repair and synthesis in damaged cells, to inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells, and to induce their apoptosis, the self-destruct sequence the body uses to eliminate worn out or abnormal cells. In addition, selenium is incorporated at the active site of many proteins, including glutathione peroxidase, which is particularly important for cancer protection. One

of the body's most powerful antioxidant enzymes, glutathione peroxidase is used in the liver to detoxify a wide range of potentially harmful molecules. When levels of glutathione peroxidase are too low, these toxic molecules are not disarmed and wreak havoc on any cells with which they come in contact, damaging their cellular DNA and promoting the development of cancer cells. Its selenium richness is another reason that sunflower seeds can make a good snack—one quarter cup will provide you with 30.6% of the daily value for selenium. Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Never miss an email again! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.

• 3 years later...
Guest guest

, I'll see if I can find United Foods. I could do oats, but that is

terribly expensive. Think last time I bought it was about $10 for maybe two

pounds. I saw teff was about $8 last week for that small package, I think it is

a pound.

I am really not as creative as you are in this area. I can sew almost anything

and can build a house with my husband, but this food is hard for me! I assume

something like brown rice is treated somehow to not sprout. Are you getting

brown rice seeds somewhere? Or other seeds? I have been looking for seeds I

can sprout for my own use and have not been successful here. I found some

online that were hideously expensive. Again I am assuming that regular garden

seeds in a packet are treated somehow, maybe with pesticides. I looked at the

co-ops and found nothing. Or are you saying I could sprout any whole grain I

have in the house? I have some amaranth and some millet, some quinoa too. I

make whole grain cooked cereal from them. I can sprout them and make milk from

that???

Really, there has to be a more economic way. As we approach retirement I am

really concerned about the expense of it all. We do grow much of our own vegies

in summer, but summer is a very very short period of time here in the north. I

had my freezer stuffed in the fall and that was gone for the most part by

January.

Can you tell I am frustrated? :)

Sandy

>

> From: Sandy G <sandygoral@...>

> Subject: Re: Ensure Plus

>

> Date: Monday, April 18, 2011, 12:03 AM

>

>

>

>

>

> , what is your source for the raw sunflower seeds? Can you eat

nuts? I need seeds that are not contaminated in packaging by nuts. Got any

other " milk " ideas? I can't do any nuts, peanuts, or coconut.

>

> Sandy

>

Guest guest

Sandy, my dear girl-I TOTALLY get you being frustrated! Back 10 years or so ago when I started trying to sort out my allergies, what frustrated me the most was trying to find AFFORDABLE ways to avoid allergens! You can sprout ANY grain you have-as long as it is organic. Many non organics have been treated and may not sprout. It is very expensive to buy products that are already ground or sprouted, but you can save a ton by doing it yourself. Do you happen to know anyone in the restaurant business? If so, I can tell you how to order things wholesale, in bulk, so you save a boatload. If that doesn't work, I am HAPPY to send you grains that I buy at my cost, plus shipping. I get a good deal-it's the shipping that is the booger, but it is still cheaper than buying them retail! From: Sandy G <sandygoral@...>Subject: Re: sunflower seeds Date: Monday, April 18, 2011, 10:35 AM

, I'll see if I can find United Foods. I could do oats, but that is terribly expensive. Think last time I bought it was about $10 for maybe two pounds. I saw teff was about $8 last week for that small package, I think it is a pound.

I am really not as creative as you are in this area. I can sew almost anything and can build a house with my husband, but this food is hard for me! I assume something like brown rice is treated somehow to not sprout. Are you getting brown rice seeds somewhere? Or other seeds? I have been looking for seeds I can sprout for my own use and have not been successful here. I found some online that were hideously expensive. Again I am assuming that regular garden seeds in a packet are treated somehow, maybe with pesticides. I looked at the co-ops and found nothing. Or are you saying I could sprout any whole grain I have in the house? I have some amaranth and some millet, some quinoa too. I make whole grain cooked cereal from them. I can sprout them and make milk from that???

Really, there has to be a more economic way. As we approach retirement I am really concerned about the expense of it all. We do grow much of our own vegies in summer, but summer is a very very short period of time here in the north. I had my freezer stuffed in the fall and that was gone for the most part by January.

Sandy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> , what is your source for the raw sunflower seeds? Can you eat nuts? I need seeds that are not contaminated in packaging by nuts. Got any other "milk" ideas? I can't do any nuts, peanuts, or coconut.

>

> Sandy

>

Guest guest

, looked high and low for the sunflower seeds today, online and in store,

came up with nothing. Where are you buying yours?

I did buy other kinds of organic seeds to sprout.

Sandy

>

> Sandy, my dear girl-I TOTALLY get you being frustrated!  Back 10 years or so

ago when I started trying to sort out my allergies, what frustrated me the most

was trying to find AFFORDABLE ways to avoid allergens!  You can sprout ANY

grain you have-as long as it is organic.  Many non organics have been treated

and may not sprout.  It is very expensive to buy products that are already

ground or sprouted, but you can save a ton by doing it yourself.  Do you happen

to know anyone in the restaurant business?  If so, I can tell you how to order

things wholesale, in bulk, so you save a boatload.  If that doesn't work, I am

HAPPY to send you grains that I buy at my cost, plus shipping.  I get a good

deal-it's the shipping that is the booger, but it is still cheaper than buying

them retail!

>

>

>

Guest guest

Do you have any health food or whole food type stores near you? Most of them sell seeds in their "bulk" section. For sunflower seeds, if you want seeded ones (great for sprouting sunflower lettuce) you will want BLACK OIL sunflower seeds, RAW, UNROASTED and in the shell. For making things like sunflower milk, you will want HULLED, but still RAW AND UNROASTED and UNSALTED. If you have a whole foods or health food store, you should be able to get them there. If not, let me know and I will give you some online sources-shipping is usually a booger, but sometimes you have to resort to it.From: Sandy G

<sandygoral@...>Subject: Re: sunflower seeds Date: Monday, April 18, 2011, 7:10 PM

, looked high and low for the sunflower seeds today, online and in store, came up with nothing. Where are you buying yours?

Sandy

>

> Sandy, my dear girl-I TOTALLY get you being frustrated! Back 10 years or so ago when I started trying to sort out my allergies, what frustrated me the most was trying to find AFFORDABLE ways to avoid allergens! You can sprout ANY grain you have-as long as it is organic. Many non organics have been treated and may not sprout. It is very expensive to buy products that are already ground or sprouted, but you can save a ton by doing it yourself. Do you happen to know anyone in the restaurant business? If so, I can tell you how to order things wholesale, in bulk, so you save a boatload. If that doesn't work, I am HAPPY to send you grains that I buy at my cost, plus shipping. I get a good deal-it's the shipping that is the booger, but it is still cheaper than buying them retail!

>

>

>

Guest guest

's right--pretty much every health food store I've ever been to has carried raw, unsalted, hulled sunflower seeds.

Re: sunflower seeds

Date: Monday, April 18, 2011, 7:10 PM

, looked high and low for the sunflower seeds today, online and in store, came up with nothing. Where are you buying yours?

Sandy

>

> Sandy, my dear girl-I TOTALLY get you being frustrated! Back 10 years or so ago when I started trying to sort out my allergies, what frustrated me the most was trying to find AFFORDABLE ways to avoid allergens! You can sprout ANY grain you have-as long as it is organic. Many non organics have been treated and may not sprout. It is very expensive to buy products that are already ground or sprouted, but you can save a ton by doing it yourself. Do you happen to know anyone in the restaurant business? If so, I can tell you how to order things wholesale, in bulk, so you save a boatload. If that doesn't work, I am HAPPY to send you grains that I buy at my cost, plus shipping. I get a good deal-it's the shipping that is the booger, but it is still cheaper than buying them retail!

>

>

>

Guest guest

I purchase sunflower and multitudes of other things from www.sunorganic.com and have been shopping with them for over 12 years without anything bad. Highly recommend them for all they sell - and a lot of items for sprouting!RoxanneFrom: Sandy G <sandygoral@...> Sent: Mon, April 18, 2011 4:10:32 PMSubject:

Re: sunflower seeds

, looked high and low for the sunflower seeds today, online and in store, came up with nothing. Where are you buying yours?I did buy other kinds of organic seeds to sprout.Sandy

Guest guest

I'd like to know how to buy things at wholesale (if you know someone in the restaurant business)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Apr 18, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Berry wrote:

Sandy, my dear girl-I TOTALLY get you being frustrated! Back 10 years or so ago when I started trying to sort out my allergies, what frustrated me the most was trying to find AFFORDABLE ways to avoid allergens! You can sprout ANY grain you have-as long as it is organic. Many non organics have been treated and may not sprout. It is very expensive to buy products that are already ground or sprouted, but you can save a ton by doing it yourself. Do you happen to know anyone in the restaurant business? If so, I can tell you how to order things wholesale, in bulk, so you save a boatload. If that doesn't work, I am HAPPY to send you grains that I buy at my cost, plus shipping. I get a good deal-it's the shipping that is the booger, but it is still cheaper than buying them retail! From: Sandy G <sandygoral@...>Subject: Re: sunflower seeds Date: Monday, April 18, 2011, 10:35 AM

, I'll see if I can find United Foods. I could do oats, but that is terribly expensive. Think last time I bought it was about $10 for maybe two pounds. I saw teff was about $8 last week for that small package, I think it is a pound.

I am really not as creative as you are in this area. I can sew almost anything and can build a house with my husband, but this food is hard for me! I assume something like brown rice is treated somehow to not sprout. Are you getting brown rice seeds somewhere? Or other seeds? I have been looking for seeds I can sprout for my own use and have not been successful here. I found some online that were hideously expensive. Again I am assuming that regular garden seeds in a packet are treated somehow, maybe with pesticides. I looked at the co-ops and found nothing. Or are you saying I could sprout any whole grain I have in the house? I have some amaranth and some millet, some quinoa too. I make whole grain cooked cereal from them. I can sprout them and make milk from that???

Really, there has to be a more economic way. As we approach retirement I am really concerned about the expense of it all. We do grow much of our own vegies in summer, but summer is a very very short period of time here in the north. I had my freezer stuffed in the fall and that was gone for the most part by January.

Sandy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> , what is your source for the raw sunflower seeds? Can you eat nuts? I need seeds that are not contaminated in packaging by nuts. Got any other "milk" ideas? I can't do any nuts, peanuts, or coconut.

>

> Sandy

>

Guest guest

Most restaurants have to place a minimum order each time they place an order. Some order weekly, but many of the smaller restaurants (sandwich shops, coffee shops, etc) can only order once a month, since they can't meet the minimum requirement. Ask an owner if they would be willing to add the items you want to their order, to help them meet the minimum and give you the wholesale price, plus maybe 10 percent for them. I have one guy that is happy to do this for me since it helps him, but I also have some other sources that say they would GLADLY do it (I stick with the same guy though, so he knows he can count on my order) I am able to buy 50 to 100 pound bags of grain at WAY less than I would pay retail for them. My friend printed me out the wholesale catalog that he uses, and I have access to all the same things he does at

his cost, plus the 10 percent (which he has now waived since he relies on my order to help meet his minimum) Simply ask anyone in the business for the same arrangement-all they can do is say yes or no! My friend tells me when the truck will be in, and I am there to get my stuff so it doesn't take up space for him-perfect arrangement for both of us. From: Sandy G <sandygoral@...>Subject: Re: sunflower seeds Date: Monday, April 18, 2011, 10:35 AM

Sandy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sandy

>

Guest guest

, in the stores here all the hulled ones have warnings that they have been

processed on equipment shared with peanuts and other nuts, so I cannot use

those. In this area, nuts are processed mostly at a place nearby and they

supply all the health food stores that I visit. So I can't use those, that is

my problem. One place I was in yesterday seemed like they would be ok, but of

course they did not have any in stock. The ones in the shell I can get just

fine.

Also, I just want to try a few pounds to start, at this point I am not ready to

commit to 25 pounds! I am going to order from Sun Organics that Roxanne

recommended.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

Sandy

>

> Do you have any health food or whole food type stores near you?  Most of them

sell seeds in their " bulk " section.  For sunflower seeds, if you want seeded

ones (great for sprouting sunflower lettuce) you will want BLACK OIL sunflower

seeds, RAW, UNROASTED and in the shell.  For making things like sunflower milk,

you will want HULLED, but still RAW AND UNROASTED and UNSALTED.  If you have a

whole foods or health food store, you should be able to get them there.  If

not, let me know and I will give you some online sources-shipping is usually a

booger, but sometimes you have to resort to it.

>

>

Guest guest

I have to be careful of the ones processed in nut facilities too. I am okay with United Foods ones, and the site posted sounds great, too. The good news is that most of the ways I use them call for rinsing and soaking (which I do THOROUGHLY) so any cross contamination residues are washed off (but I don't like to risk that either). I hope you find a source that works for you. If not, let me know and I will be happy to ship any amount to you for just my cost and actual shipping charges.From: Sandy G <sandygoral@...>Subject: Re: sunflower seeds Date:

Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 10:33 AM

, in the stores here all the hulled ones have warnings that they have been processed on equipment shared with peanuts and other nuts, so I cannot use those. In this area, nuts are processed mostly at a place nearby and they supply all the health food stores that I visit. So I can't use those, that is my problem. One place I was in yesterday seemed like they would be ok, but of course they did not have any in stock. The ones in the shell I can get just fine.

Also, I just want to try a few pounds to start, at this point I am not ready to commit to 25 pounds! I am going to order from Sun Organics that Roxanne recommended.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

Sandy

>

> Do you have any health food or whole food type stores near you? Most of them sell seeds in their "bulk" section. For sunflower seeds, if you want seeded ones (great for sprouting sunflower lettuce) you will want BLACK OIL sunflower seeds, RAW, UNROASTED and in the shell. For making things like sunflower milk, you will want HULLED, but still RAW AND UNROASTED and UNSALTED. If you have a whole foods or health food store, you should be able to get them there. If not, let me know and I will give you some online sources-shipping is usually a booger, but sometimes you have to resort to it.

>

>