RemedySpot.com

Re: RAW MENTHOL CRYSTALS - MORE EFFECTIVE THAN PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN TRACE AMOUNTS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm ordering more crystals because of comments the last few days, in

spite of knowing they probably aren't lethal to the evil little beasts.

I have all along tried to take the laziest strategies, the ones that

require the least scrubbing and spraying. My condo is full of sofas,

books, and papers, and I like it that way dammit! It's heartbreaking to

read about what some of you have had to lose. I don't know what's ahead

for me.

As of a few hours ago, the cat is in luxe quarters at the town

Animal Inn (NJ). Here goes more $$, but she's never boarded before, so I

chose the 3-level suite. Now I can fume the whole place with menthol,

put Cedarcide through the AC ducts, and apply the poison de jour.

Don't do two overenthusiastic things I did with the crystals. (1) While

the container sat on a candle, fumes visibly rising, I held my face over

it and breathed deeply, repeatedly. Took it into my lungs and held it

there. Let it burn my eyes. When I next looked in mirror I was shocked

by black smudges on my face. Conclusion: probably not good to breathe

menthol smoke. It's the pure stuff from Mountain Rose, by the way. I

temporarily thought of using bronchial mites as a reason to start

smoking again--menthol this time. Nah.

(2) I made a tent, about 3' by 4', and put my open laptop in it with

menthol-over-a-candle. So clever. After an hour, the screen and keyboard

were webbed with menthol goo. It cleaned up well, no loss of function,

but enough of that.

New menthol strategy, per some of you, will be to keep fumigating with

the cup warmers and tea lights, and also to scatter the crystals under

the sheets, mix a lot of them with mothballs in the ziploc bag where the

laptop lives when it's not being used. Maybe shoes, although boric acid

seems easier there. And definitely in an OPEN baggie on the side of the

laptop when I'm using it.

I'll miss kitty's little warm body tonight, but she had started sleeping

on the other bed anyway since I reek of teatree or neem oil and

listerine most nights. But not having y'all--unimaginable!

ES

>

> So my 500 gram bag of mentol crystals arrived yesterday. Menthol

fumes

> emit from it even though it is triple bagged. I keep the sealed bag

by

> my hands as I type on this keyboard and mites don't dare come near my

> hands.

>

> I put a small amount in my shoes (both under and above the inserts)

and

> didn't get attacked there at all. In fact, I think it prevented most

> of them from crawling up my shoes, and on to the rest of my body. The

> residual effect of the crystals is excellent. I find that products

> that contain trace amounts of mentol are not nearly as effective and

> have less residual effect.

>

> Of course, I still use other methods, especially the microwave and UVC

> lamps.

>

> - requireshelp

>

Please do not smoke or take menthol internally. 2g is the average lethal dose for a human. See MSDS here:

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/msds/mentholcrystalmsds.htm

Also, I read that burning menthol produces carbon monoxide, a toxic gas.

Of course, reasonable external application to cloths, shoes, bed, floor, etc. - is not a problem and effective as you have found.

-requireshelp

Re: RAW MENTHOL CRYSTALS - MORE EFFECTIVE THAN PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN TRACE AMOUNTS

I'm ordering more crystals because of comments the last few days, inspite of knowing they probably aren't lethal to the evil little beasts.I have all along tried to take the laziest strategies, the ones thatrequire the least scrubbing and spraying. My condo is full of sofas,books, and papers, and I like it that way dammit! It's heartbreaking toread about what some of you have had to lose. I don't know what's aheadfor me.As of a few hours ago, the cat is in luxe quarters at the townAnimal Inn (NJ). Here goes more $$, but she's never boarded before, so Ichose the 3-level suite. Now I can fume the whole place with menthol,put Cedarcide through the AC ducts, and apply the poison de jour.Don't do two overenthusiastic things I did with the crystals. (1) Whilethe container sat on a candle, fumes visibly rising, I held my face overit and breathed deeply, repeatedly. Took it into my lungs and

held itthere. Let it burn my eyes. When I next looked in mirror I was shockedby black smudges on my face. Conclusion: probably not good to breathementhol smoke. It's the pure stuff from Mountain Rose, by the way. Itemporarily thought of using bronchial mites as a reason to startsmoking again--menthol this time. Nah.(2) I made a tent, about 3' by 4', and put my open laptop in it withmenthol-over- a-candle. So clever. After an hour, the screen and keyboardwere webbed with menthol goo. It cleaned up well, no loss of function,but enough of that.New menthol strategy, per some of you, will be to keep fumigating withthe cup warmers and tea lights, and also to scatter the crystals underthe sheets, mix a lot of them with mothballs in the ziploc bag where thelaptop lives when it's not being used. Maybe shoes, although boric acidseems easier there. And definitely in an OPEN baggie on the side of

thelaptop when I'm using it.I'll miss kitty's little warm body tonight, but she had started sleepingon the other bed anyway since I reek of teatree or neem oil andlisterine most nights. But not having y'all--unimaginable !ES>> So my 500 gram bag of mentol crystals arrived yesterday. Mentholfumes> emit from it even though it is triple bagged. I keep the sealed bagby> my hands as I type on this keyboard and mites don't dare come near my> hands.>> I put a small amount in my shoes (both under and above the inserts)and> didn't get attacked there at all. In fact, I think it prevented most> of them from crawling up my shoes, and on to the

rest of my body. The> residual effect of the crystals is excellent. I find that products> that contain trace amounts of mentol are not nearly as effective and> have less residual effect.>> Of course, I still use other methods, especially the microwave and UVC> lamps.>> - requireshelp>

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new

Thank you for the warning. In fact, I had read the MSDS before ordering

crystals and decided they were too dangerous. Then I went back and read

posts here plus Shanspiration's amazing blog on her bird mite

experience, ordered, and diffused.

See Savemyskin's post 6666 and responses. My conclusion is that one can

heat them, but the room should then be aired before one spends any time

in it.

> >

> > So my 500 gram bag of mentol crystals arrived yesterday. Menthol

> fumes

> > emit from it even though it is triple bagged. I keep the sealed bag

> by

> > my hands as I type on this keyboard and mites don't dare come near

my

> > hands.

> >

> > I put a small amount in my shoes (both under and above the inserts)

> and

> > didn't get attacked there at all. In fact, I think it prevented most

> > of them from crawling up my shoes, and on to the rest of my body.

The

> > residual effect of the crystals is excellent. I find that products

> > that contain trace amounts of mentol are not nearly as effective and

> > have less residual effect.

> >

> > Of course, I still use other methods, especially the microwave and

UVC

> > lamps.

> >

> > - requireshelp

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark

your favourite sites. Download it now at

> http://ca.toolbar..

>

ES

Hugs. I hope all gets better and you as well as your kitty will be sleeping sound again soon.

J.

From: yemilyg <e_shenk@...>Subject: Re: RAW MENTHOL CRYSTALS - MORE EFFECTIVE THAN PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN TRACE AMOUNTSbird mites Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:54 PM

I'm ordering more crystals because of comments the last few days, inspite of knowing they probably aren't lethal to the evil little beasts.I have all along tried to take the laziest strategies, the ones thatrequire the least scrubbing and spraying. My condo is full of sofas,books, and papers, and I like it that way dammit! It's heartbreaking toread about what some of you have had to lose. I don't know what's aheadfor me.As of a few hours ago, the cat is in luxe quarters at the townAnimal Inn (NJ). Here goes more $$, but she's never boarded before, so Ichose the 3-level suite. Now I can fume the whole place with menthol,put Cedarcide through the AC ducts, and apply the poison de jour.Don't do two overenthusiastic things I did with the crystals. (1) Whilethe container sat on a candle, fumes visibly rising, I held my face overit and breathed deeply, repeatedly. Took it into my lungs and

held itthere. Let it burn my eyes. When I next looked in mirror I was shockedby black smudges on my face. Conclusion: probably not good to breathementhol smoke. It's the pure stuff from Mountain Rose, by the way. Itemporarily thought of using bronchial mites as a reason to startsmoking again--menthol this time. Nah.(2) I made a tent, about 3' by 4', and put my open laptop in it withmenthol-over- a-candle. So clever. After an hour, the screen and keyboardwere webbed with menthol goo. It cleaned up well, no loss of function,but enough of that.New menthol strategy, per some of you, will be to keep fumigating withthe cup warmers and tea lights, and also to scatter the crystals underthe sheets, mix a lot of them with mothballs in the ziploc bag where thelaptop lives when it's not being used. Maybe shoes, although boric acidseems easier there. And definitely in an OPEN baggie on the side of

thelaptop when I'm using it.I'll miss kitty's little warm body tonight, but she had started sleepingon the other bed anyway since I reek of teatree or neem oil andlisterine most nights. But not having y'all--unimaginable !ES>> So my 500 gram bag of mentol crystals arrived yesterday. Mentholfumes> emit from it even though it is triple bagged. I keep the sealed bagby> my hands as I type on this keyboard and mites don't dare come near my> hands.>> I put a small amount in my shoes (both under and above the inserts)and> didn't get attacked there at all. In fact, I think it prevented most> of them from crawling up my shoes, and on to the rest of my body. The> residual effect of

the crystals is excellent. I find that products> that contain trace amounts of mentol are not nearly as effective and> have less residual effect.>> Of course, I still use other methods, especially the microwave and UVC> lamps.>> - requireshelp>

Hi ,

I just read that post, and then decided to put some menthol on my mite infested couches (leather). It works great. I may switch from windex to menthol for treating my car, though windex seems to be working fine.

-requireshelp

Thank you for the warning. In fact, I had read the MSDS before orderingcrystals and decided they were too dangerous. Then I went back and readposts here plus Shanspiration' s amazing blog on her bird miteexperience, ordered, and diffused.See Savemyskin's post 6666 and responses. My conclusion is that one canheat them, but the room should then be aired before one spends any timein it.> >> > So my 500 gram bag of mentol crystals arrived yesterday. Menthol> fumes> > emit from it even though it is triple bagged. I keep the sealed bag> by> > my hands as I type on this keyboard and mites don't dare come nearmy> > hands.> >> > I put a small amount in my shoes (both under and above the inserts)> and> > didn't get attacked there at all. In fact, I think it prevented most> > of them from crawling up my shoes, and on to the rest of my body.The> >

residual effect of the crystals is excellent. I find that products> > that contain trace amounts of mentol are not nearly as effective and> > have less residual effect.> >> > Of course, I still use other methods, especially the microwave andUVC> > lamps.> >> > - requireshelp> >>>>>> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmarkyour favourite sites. Download it now at> http://ca.toolbar. .>

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Hi,

You can crush menthol crystals into powder and place them inside

your shoes under the shoe insert (some ppl mix with other powders

such as borax). Just put the crystals inside a zip loc bag, roll

them over with a medicine bottle or anything cylindrical and you'll

have powder.

You can order electric tart burners from here:

http://www.tartburners.com/cleltabu.html

I got a few of the clearance ones for $10 each.

That way if you have an electrical outlet nearby, you can put them

in cars/closet/rooms and diffuse them overnight. I'm still not sure

whether it kills but they do act as a repellent.

kihun

> > >

> > > So my 500 gram bag of mentol crystals arrived yesterday.

Menthol

> > fumes

> > > emit from it even though it is triple bagged. I keep the

sealed bag

> > by

> > > my hands as I type on this keyboard and mites don't dare come

near

> my

> > > hands.

> > >

> > > I put a small amount in my shoes (both under and above the

inserts)

> > and

> > > didn't get attacked there at all. In fact, I think it

prevented most

> > > of them from crawling up my shoes, and on to the rest of my

body.

> The

> > > residual effect of the crystals is excellent. I find that

products

> > > that contain trace amounts of mentol are not nearly as

effective and

> > > have less residual effect.

> > >

> > > Of course, I still use other methods, especially the microwave

and

> UVC

> > > lamps.

> > >

> > > - requireshelp

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

> > Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and

bookmark

> your favourite sites. Download it now at

> > http://ca.toolbar. .

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

>

> http://www.flickr.com/gift/

>

• 2 weeks later...

UVC lamps? Where do you get them and how do you use them?

From: requireshelp <requireshelp@...>Subject: RAW MENTHOL CRYSTALS - MORE EFFECTIVE THAN PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN TRACE AMOUNTSbird mites Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:39 PM

So my 500 gram bag of mentol crystals arrived yesterday. Menthol fumes emit from it even though it is triple bagged. I keep the sealed bag by my hands as I type on this keyboard and mites don't dare come near my hands.I put a small amount in my shoes (both under and above the inserts) and didn't get attacked there at all. In fact, I think it prevented most of them from crawling up my shoes, and on to the rest of my body. The residual effect of the crystals is excellent. I find that products that contain trace amounts of mentol are not nearly as effective and have less residual effect.Of course, I still use other methods, especially the microwave and UVC lamps.- requireshelp__________________________________________________