government's way of weeding out people who aren't disabled). Attorney's

are allowed 25% of your " retro pay " ...that is back pay allowed from the

date that you say you were first disabled, which is different from the

date that you file for the disability. My attorney told me that what

helped my case the most was the letters that I got from a couple of my

doctors. I only had one doctor at the time that really championed my

case, so don't be surprised if your doctors are reluctant to get

involved. My internest stated " But...you would make more money if you

just worked " . How's is that for showing a total lack of understanding????

I would also suggest that you be very careful what you say and write on

the forms. Many/ if not all telephone conversations are taped. Always

make copies of the forms you fill out and keep them in a safe place. I

found the questions on the forms to be somewhat redundant with the same

thing being asked over and over in different ways...? I am wondering if

that is to trip someone up? I know I sound very paranoid but after all

we are dealing with the government in this....Most of all - get over any

guilt you may feel for having to ask for disability payments. You worked

and now you can't. You paid into the system and now you can't. I hope

some of this letter will be helpful to you or anyone else applying for

benefits. This is just my take on it all!

Best Regards,

Teena

It is far easier to get disability with a psychiatric diagnosis of any

kind. But if you're going to want disability for CFS or lyme or

another similar disorder you will need to have, imo, your doctor

document your inability to do ANY KIND OF work, to function in any

normal way. Things like severe vertigo, crippling fatigue, unable to

bathe yourself, unable to go food shopping etc, would need to be

documented over time. In contrast, if you've tried various

antidepressants and you are threatening suicide and attempted it a few

times, they rarely quibble from the few cases I know, putting you on

disability. You can see why. They could be charged indirectly with a

kind of murder if they refused a person and that person was too

" unstable " to work and then killed themselves.

>

> This is a sad reflection on the system.

> Unfortunately it seems to be true that they erect hurdles for a

disabled CFS

> patient to jump. Initially it is a custom for them to lose the file,

> paperwork, reports etc. or alternatively claim they did not receive

the case report. I

> instuct patients to send all documents registered mail, return receipt.

> Next is the interview with an " independent " evaluator. This is

usually a

> doctor in retirement or without a practice. Ask his experience with

treating your

> condition and how many patients he has under treatment. Have a witness

> accompany you who can take notes on the examination. Sometimes I get

a report four or

> five pages long relating to an examination that did not take place

or at best

> was cursory.

> I make it a point of writing a report for the disability judge, this

seems to

> balance the independent doctor who is really an employee of the SSI or

> insurance company

>

> Enlander MD

>

>

> In a message dated 12/28/2005 3:17:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> rudedog89@J... writes:

> My experience with SS Disability was that I was turned down twice before

> I succeeded with an attorney. I had heard from others that this was so

> commonplace as to be considered part of the system ( I think it is the

> government's way of weeding out people who aren't disabled). Attorney's

> are allowed 25% of your " retro pay " ...that is back pay allowed from the

> date that you say you were first disabled, which is different from the

> date that you file for the disability. My attorney told me that what

> helped my case the most was the letters that I got from a couple of my

> doctors. I only had one doctor at the time that really championed my

> case, so don't be surprised if your doctors are reluctant to get

> involved. My internest stated " But...you would make more money if you

> just worked " . How's is that for showing a total lack of

understanding????

> I would also suggest that you be very careful what you say and write on

> the forms. Many/ if not all telephone conversations are taped. Always

> make copies of the forms you fill out and keep them in a safe place. I

> found the questions on the forms to be somewhat redundant with the same

> thing being asked over and over in different ways...? I am wondering if

> that is to trip someone up? I know I sound very paranoid but after all

> we are dealing with the government in this....Most of all - get over any

> guilt you may feel for having to ask for disability payments. You

worked

> and now you can't. You paid into the system and now you can't. I hope

> some of this letter will be helpful to you or anyone else applying for

> benefits. This is just my take on it all!

>

> Best Regards,

>

> Teena

>

>

>

I don't know if this is now off topic or not but I feel I have to respond to

the posts about not going on disability. I worked for two years while sick. It

was hell. There was no redeeming features except my paycheck. I got better for a

year, moved to a new city and while job hunting, relapsed. No way I could look

for a job and hold a job in my condition. I found it humiliating at first to go

on disability, but you know, I got over it. Self respect doesn't have to come

from a job. I do have a small private disability; it's not a lot but certainly

better than SSDI, so I'm " lucky " if one want to call 14-years of this luck. And

I've managed to find stuff I can do, new skills and talents in the arts that

I've developed that give meaing to my life, albeit no additional money.

I didn't mean this to attack the pro-work posters, just to say, it's the

outside world's paradigm that says being on disability is bad; and it's up to

each of us to dig deep for the self-respect that's there; there's strength in

not buying into the world's definination of your worth. Again, maybe I'm

lucky because I'm gay and had to learn that lesson once before.

michael

• 10 months later...

Hey Terry, don't worry. I worked right through 2 different tries at tx. I had a lot of different side effects but not bad enough to keep me off the job. Too bad I turned out to be a non-responder. That was the old tx though, they say the sides aren't that bad with this one. De worked through tx, maybe she could describe the new tx better than me, my docs won't let me try again.

I've been on disability for a little more than a year now - provincial disability, I live in Canada. It's not much but it supports me, still it's too early to worry about that either. You don't know how bad your liver is yet, wait for the doctors - you won't really know until you've had a biopsy, that's the best gauge for liver damage. Maybe you don't have enough damage to bother with tx.

One thing, you might want to talk to your doc about getting on some antidepressants. Most liver docs like to see you on anti-d's for a month or so before putting you on tx, one of the side effects of tx is depression(I think it's also a side effect of being HCV+) Most of us have been on one or the other anti-d many still are - me for instance.

The best advice I can give you is what my old Gran used to say - Don't borrow trouble - wait for more info before you start worrying too much.

Big Hugs,

SuZie

Next time I'm coming back as a cat

----- Original Message ----From: Terry Harmon <manos77035@...>

Man o man.. still trying to figure out how to be sociable without drinking.. I'm not convulsing or anything.. but that white zin helped me sleep. The nurse answered e-mail I sent today and said to take 2 benadryls, 1 to 2 hours before sleep. How can I predict when I want to sleep? ;=)I haven't even had any treatment yet and I'm already kinda getting depressed. I suppose it'll get worse. I work for a pretty big company.. I haven't even asked if they have any kind of disability whatever. Our condo is paid for, my husband has a pension.. but am worried about money, like most folk, I guess.The nurse said that SOME people can work while taking treatment? any of y'all work.. if so, is it the strength or what makes you not want to or be able to work? The 3 months of not drinking will be shortly after my 52nd birthday (Feb. 4.).. this'll be quite the trip!just rambling thoughts.Thanks for saying

howdy and welcoming me y'all. All this worrying about my job is bringing the tears, I imagine normal for something like this.. I get emotional normally anyway.well, later, just wondering about disability. I guess I'm just going to have to break down and ask my supervisor.nite nite y'all!terrbo aka Terry from Houston

TERR BO.. My opinion only...... Just ask to please have a complete copy of Insurance coverage thatyou h been paying for..Either through working or paying through working it's yours. I personally don't see anuy reason yo let ANYONE know (at your job), until there is something to know. It's too soon and this kind of informationtravels like wildfire in California on a windy day!! Some folks have something yhey can't shake.. called ignorance. You can even call your indurance company and possibly pull up information on the confuser about your whole policy. Don't single anything out... The new person in Human Relations may want to make friends and think your condition is fodder for the a sweet lookin' honey , and tell her confidential stuff, so he can run a mile just to smell the dirt the tire treads left from the truck that took her panties (I mean...unmentionables..sorry) away!!! I am no longer working, and

am supposed to go through my ex employer for anything regarding insurance...Cobra....but if I did that I'd be pushing up daisys. Don't feel like your harbouring something and feel bad because your not sharing. I know you know this, and there truly are still good folk in this crazy world we call home, but money rules. Not hearts. Not too much anymore anyway.... I'm not being negative or a party pooper, but a million dollars is a million dollars, and corporations have MAJOR responsibilities to show stock holders a profit, and sometimes I imagine it's a high price to pay to be the one that sits up in his Ivory Tower, deciding who lives and who doesn't. Legally or not. Just my opinion.. Deliman suzie <suzieandsandy@...> wrote: Hey Terry, don't worry. I worked right through 2 different tries at tx. I had a lot of different side effects but not bad enough to keep me off the job. Too bad I turned out to be a non-responder. That was the old tx though, they say the sides aren't that bad with this one. De worked through tx, maybe she could describe the new tx better than me, my docs won't let me try again. I've been on disability for a little more than a year now - provincial disability, I

live in Canada. It's not much but it supports me, still it's too early to worry about that either. You don't know how bad your liver is yet, wait for the doctors - you won't really know until you've had a biopsy, that's the best gauge for liver damage. Maybe you don't have enough damage to bother with tx. One thing, you might want to talk to your doc about getting on some antidepressants. Most liver docs like to see you on anti-d's for a month or so before putting you on tx, one of the side effects of tx is depression(I think it's also a side effect of being HCV+) Most of us have been on one or the other anti-d many still are - me for instance. The best advice I can give you is what my old Gran used to say - Don't borrow trouble - wait for more info before you start worrying too much. Big Hugs, SuZie Next time I'm coming back as a cat ----- Original Message ----From: Terry Harmon <manos77035lycos> Man o man.. still trying to figure out how to be sociable without drinking.. I'm not convulsing or anything.. but that white zin helped me sleep. The nurse answered e-mail I sent today and said to take 2 benadryls, 1 to 2 hours before sleep. How can I predict when I want to sleep? ;=)I haven't even had any treatment yet and I'm already kinda getting depressed. I suppose it'll get worse. I work for a pretty big company.. I haven't even asked if they have any kind of disability whatever. Our condo is paid for, my husband has a pension.. but am worried about

money, like most folk, I guess.The nurse said that SOME people can work while taking treatment? any of y'all work.. if so, is it the strength or what makes you not want to or be able to work? The 3 months of not drinking will be shortly after my 52nd birthday (Feb. 4.).. this'll be quite the trip!just rambling thoughts.Thanks for saying howdy and welcoming me y'all. All this worrying about my job is bringing the tears, I imagine normal for something like this.. I get emotional normally anyway.well, later, just wondering about disability. I guess I'm just going to have to break down and ask my supervisor.nite nite y'all!terrbo aka Terry from Houston

Access over 1 million songs - Music Unlimited.

• 3 months later...

, , Here's a letter that seems to give others the general idea of how we feel. I know it helped me with my family. There's another one for families that I'll post later. SuZie A Letter To People Without Hepatitis! Having Hepatitis means many things change, and a lot of them are invisible. Unlike having cancer or being hurt in an accident, most people do not understand even a little about HCV and its effects, and of those that think they know, many are actually misinformed. In the spirit of informing those who wish to understand ... These are the things that I would like you to understand about me before you judge me... Please understand that being sick doesn't mean I'm not still a human being. I have to spend most of my day in considerable pain and exhaustion, and if you visit I probably don't seem like much fun to be with, but I'm still me stuck inside this body. I still worry about life and work

and my family and friends, and most of the time I'd still like to hear you talk about yours too. Please understand the difference between "happy" and "healthy". When you've got the flu you probably feel miserable with it, but I've been sick for years. I can't be miserable all the time; in fact I work hard at not being miserable. So if you're talking to me and I sound happy, it means I'm happy. That’s all. It doesn't mean that I'm not in a lot of pain, or extremely tired, or that I'm getting better, or any of those things. Please, don't say, "Oh, you're sounding better!”. I am not sounding better, I am sounding happy. If you want to comment on that, you're welcome. Please understand that being able to stand up for

ten minutes, doesn't necessarily mean that I can stand up for twenty minutes, or an hour. And, just because I managed to stand up for thirty minutes yesterday doesn't mean that I can do the same today. With a lot of diseases you're either paralyzed, or you can move. With this one it gets more confusing. Please repeat the above paragraph substituting, "sitting", "walking", "thinking", "being sociable" and so on ... it applies to everything. That's what Hepatitis does to you. Please understand that HCV or HBV is variable. It's quite possible (for me, it's common) that one day I am able to walk to the park and back, while the next day I'll have trouble getting to the kitchen. Please don't attack me when

I'm ill by saying, "But you did it before!” if you want me to do something then ask if I can. In a similar vein, I may need to cancel an invitation at the last minute, if this happens please do not take it personally. Please understand that "getting out and doing things" does not make me feel better. Telling me that I need a treadmill, or that I just need to loose (or gain)weight, get this exercise machine, join this gym, try these classes... may frustrate me to tears, and is not correct... if I was capable of doing these things, don't you know that I would? I am working with my doctor and physical therapist and am already doing the exercise and diet that I am supposed to do. Another statement that hurts is, "You just need to push yourself more, exercise harder". Obviously HCV deals directly with muscles, and because our

muscles don't repair themselves the way your muscles do, this does far more damage than good and could result in recovery time in days or weeks or months from a single activity. Also, Hepatitis may cause secondary depression (wouldn't you get depressed if you were hurting and exhausted for years on end!?) but it is not created by depression. Please understand that if I say I have to sit down/lie down/take these pills now, that I do have to do it right now - it can't be put off or forgotten just because I'm out for the day (or whatever). Hepatitis does not forgive. If you want to suggest a cure to me,

don't. It's not because I don't appreciate the thought, and it's not because I don't want to get well. It's because I have had almost every single one of my friends suggest one at one point or another. At first I tried them all, but then I realized that I was using up so much energy trying things that I was making myself sicker, not better. If there were something that cured, or even helped, all people with hepatitis then we'd know about it. This is not a drug-company conspiracy; there is worldwide networking (both on and off the Internet) between people with Hepatitis if something worked we would KNOW. If after reading that, you still want to suggest a cure, then do it, but don't expect me to rush out and try it. I'll take what you said and discuss it with my doctor. In many ways I depend on you - people who are not sick - I need you to visit me when I am too sick to go out... Sometimes I need your help me with the shopping, cooking or cleaning. I may need you to take me to the doctor, or to the physical therapist. I need you on a different level too ... you're my link to the outside world... if you don't come to visit me at home and/or whenever I'm hospitalized, then I might not get to see you...and as much as it's possible, I need you to understand me... By Bek Oberin

Next time I'm coming back as a cat

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

Being Denied Disability Living Allowance (DLA)or had to fight for your

entitlement to the benefit or no someone that has

then please sign the petition on the link below.

Many Thanks Cath x

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/DLABenefit/

Please Pass This on the more we get to sign the bigger impact this petition

will have.

---------------------------------

The next generation of Hotmail is here - Windows Live Hotmail

• 1 year later...

Jeffery, it really depends on what kind of disability you’re

talking about. Some private policies allow for benefits if you can no longer

work at your “usual and customary job.” This might be due to medication side

effects and/or fatigue.

If you base it solely on life expectancy, then maybe not . . .

Bob Munk

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Jeffery

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 6:35 AM

Subject: Disability

What are thoughts on disability? I mean for

those of us, who are using

HIV medication and the HIV is suppressed. Do you still think in the

future we would have to end up going on disabilty because of HIV? Or

do you think we will not have to? I read on a website that people with

HIV are living longer, and that someone who is 20 years old, would

probably live to be about 69 with HIV. What are thoughts regarding

this?

Here's my 2 cents. 1) invest in yourself all along the way. re-education/upgrade your job skills constantly. 2) if I had to do it all over again, I would set a "automatic investment plan" buying $50 per month of an good company that payes monthly dividends. I would be always re-investing the dividends.

thanx

YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT PROTECT YOU!!!

Audre Lodre

SILENCE=DEATH

ACT-UP

From: Jeffery <scoobyjeff1974@...>Subject: Disability Date: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:35 AM

What are thoughts on disability? I mean for those of us, who are using HIV medication and the HIV is suppressed. Do you still think in the future we would have to end up going on disabilty because of HIV? Or do you think we will not have to? I read on a website that people with HIV are living longer, and that someone who is 20 years old, would probably live to be about 69 with HIV. What are thoughts regarding this?

What are thoughts on disability? I mean for those of us, who are using HIV medication and the HIV is suppressed. Do you still think in the future we would have to end up going on disabilty because of HIV? Or do you think we will not have to? I read on a website that people with HIV are living longer, and that someone who is 20 years old, would probably live to be about 69 with HIV. What are thoughts regarding this? If I were gainfully employed and in good health with HIV, I would not go out on disability at this point in history. People with HIV should expect to live to retirement age.JB

I think disability is going to be an important benefit for people living with HIV/AIDS as we are all individuals who will respond to the disease differently. I was on disability previously but through careful consideration was able to go off and start working more. It also depends on the demands of each individual's job.Be well,Tripp

> What are thoughts on disability?

You need to read your benefits book VERY CAREFULLY. You need to

decide how sick you are? Would you be dead if you didnt stop

working?? CAN YOU AFFORD TO STOP WORKING?? You could die from stress

of being broke. Can you do part time??

I checked back and found that in March, 2006, I wrote the following

to the group, apparently to :

<<< I retired on disability in 1994 after 31 years in the marine

industry at age 51 (62 now[65 in Oct 08]). At the time the

governement agreed that i had about 2 years to live. Well, with the

miracle of modern medicine, i'm not only still here, i'm healthier

than i was then, vl undetec since 1997, t's over 700.

Since then i have done volunteer work, ...started a (part-time)

bookkeeping biz, ...traveled, ...managed my medical care almost to my

doctors' annoyance, wrote letters to , and had a fucking

blast with life, it just keeps getting better, and found a partner.

If i went back to work, the gov't would never let me go out on

disability again, that's the scary part. ...I'm convinced that if i

tried to work 40 hrs, i'd be dead in 6 months. I don't feel guilty

being retired, i contributed to the system for 35 years.

Just remember: Too much stress can kill you, and not enough

challenge can kill you just as fast. The secret of life is creating a

balance between the two. (i made that up years ago).

cheers and good luck

edward

san francisco >>>

"Thanks for all your answers regarding my question. What I was trying to ask was, are people today who contract HIV and are using more recent HIV medications, probably going to end up on disabilty? Sorry for any confusion, and again thanks for all those who answered. Have a great one!I do not think that disability will be as available to those recently infected as it might have been in the past. Disability was granted in the 80s and early 90s, because the assumption was that you were going to die pretty soon, anyway. Now that it is truly a chronic disease, I think it will be harder. Insurance companies are looking not at five years of payouts, but 25, and they don't like it. Plus, if you haven't noticed, the nation is flat broke.JB

At 07:35 AM 10/13/2008, Jeffery wrote:

>What are thoughts on disability? I mean for those of us, who are using

>HIV medication and the HIV is suppressed. Do you still think in the

>future we would have to end up going on disabilty because of HIV? Or

>do you think we will not have to? I read on a website that people with

>HIV are living longer, and that someone who is 20 years old, would

>probably live to be about 69 with HIV. What are thoughts regarding

>this?

As others have noted, in these days of HAART, a successful

application for disability benefits is hard to come by. Amazingly,

my application was approved on the first round, but only because I

was in pretty bad shape at the time of the application. I was one of

the 25% who were unaware of their HIV status, having been told in the

early 1990s that, after years of negative HIV test results, there was

no point in my returning for further tests.

So in December 2007 I was carted off to the ER in the back of an

ambulance, dying. A perceptive doctor decided to run an HIV test

(without my knowledge or consent) and follow that up with a CD4 cell

count -- 6 -- and a viral load test: 800,000. I was pretty much

bedridden at the time of my application, with signs of severe

cognitive impairment. My doctor wrote a supporting letter to go with

my disability application pointing to *severe* wasting (80 pound loss

in six months) and AIDS dementia.

*That's* what it takes these days to get an AIDS-related disability

application approved. Hopefully you won't ever reach that point. If

I were you, I would not count on a " mere " progression of HIV disease

to AIDS levels to qualify for disability. You have to show that you

are 100% unable to perform your job functions and with no improvement

expected for at least six months to a year. In a state where 70% of

*all* disability applications are rejected, I feel quite

fortunate. If you have *any* intent of seeking disability in the

future, start documenting, documenting, documenting any changes in

your cognitive status and how it impacts your ability to do your

job. Self-reports are insufficient. In my case, it took letters

from my employers also documenting my cognitive decline.

Although this may not have been what you wanted to hear, I hope it helps.

Regards,

Nick

--

Nick

35 Village Green Circle

, MS 39211

601-956-7949

thenick@...

http://nicknicholas.net

" Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through

experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened,

ambition inspired, and success achieved. " Helen Keller

I agree with Ed.

Disability should be well thought out and planned out before going ahead with it. Sure, in many instances, you have to go onto disability immediately, no choice. But look at your health. Can you live ONLY on disability? Will you enjoy being an SSD "Open Book" on your personal finances? Can you at least work PT? What's the future plans? Are you prepared to run through that living hell that we call "The Donut Hole? Are you ok with Mecicare A/B and D?

I'm again back on SSD. I went onto SSD in 1993, didn't work (physically could not do it) for 2 years. Then went PT at WDW in Orlando until 1995 to subsidize my SSD check and stayed PT until 1998 when I went FT at WDW, came off SSD. I stayed FT at Disney until 2003, dropped to PT and regained my SSD benefits. I'm still PT at Best Buy, only working 16 hrs per week to keep me afloat.

I cannot, at this point, live 100% on my SSD check. I have to congratulate those that can though, as it's a struggle. Ironically, with what I make on my SSD and my PT work, I make more than if I were working FT at Best Buy. But, PT works for me. This gives me lazy days, and doctor days, chemo days, and days to just sniff the flowers.

But do look at the bigger picture when thinking about going onto SSD.. One of my main concerns is that if you totally do no work, then you may not have the extra $$$ to treat yourself to a movie, a night out, dinner out, or have no extra $$$ to even think about saving for vacation. (nope. No one can really hide all that stashed away cash either. Uncle Sam is good at finding hiding places, even if its under a mattress.)

So think about it, and then whatever is decided, go for it :)

Dothan, AL

"If no one could ever see it, would you still buy that Mercedes?"

From: <EddieKsf@...>Subject: Re: Disability Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 6:04 PM

> What are thoughts on disability? You need to read your benefits book VERY CAREFULLY. You need to decide how sick you are? Would you be dead if you didnt stop working?? CAN YOU AFFORD TO STOP WORKING?? You could die from stress of being broke. Can you do part time??I checked back and found that in March, 2006, I wrote the following to the group, apparently to :<<< I retired on disability in 1994 after 31 years in the marine industry at age 51 (62 now[65 in Oct 08]). At the time the governement agreed that i had about 2 years to live. Well, with the miracle of modern medicine, i'm not only still here, i'm healthier than i was then, vl undetec since 1997, t's over 700. Since then i have done volunteer work, ...started

a (part-time) bookkeeping biz, ...traveled, ...managed my medical care almost to my doctors' annoyance, wrote letters to , and had a fucking blast with life, it just keeps getting better, and found a partner. If i went back to work, the gov't would never let me go out on disability again, that's the scary part. ...I'm convinced that if i tried to work 40 hrs, i'd be dead in 6 months. I don't feel guilty being retired, i contributed to the system for 35 years. Just remember: Too much stress can kill you, and not enough challenge can kill you just as fast. The secret of life is creating a balance between the two. (i made that up years ago). cheers and good luckedwardsan francisco >>>__________________________________________________

Hi folks:

I have read the thread on disability with great interest, since I have been on disability since 1995. I was then thirty years young. I'm not going to get into my story, readers have read a lot about each very personal and interesting story from the contributors. However, like many responders have said, stopping work is a HUGE decision which needs to be worked out very carefully. Ours is a society which values work and many souls define themselves by what they do and as a consequence define others by what they do. You end up seriously in a bind when the casual conversation within a very casual atmosphere turns to "what do you do...", implying that what you don't do makes you culturally insignificant.

In addition, the criteria for disability has changed dramatically for HIV infected individuals, and rightly so. Getting an HIV diagnosis is like getting a HepC diagnosis, and most times better treatable. It's just "another" communicable disease. This fact is amplified by the press and ignorance, however it is the case. So societal belief (and disability insurers) is that you live long and prosper, Spock.

Now, there are exceptions to the "grab a bag of Atripla on the way out" HIV rules. Specially for those who find out their status by getting sick and not by a test. Once your immune system is broken, it never goes back to "all is fine mode" ever again, don't let anyone tell you different. There is also the class of brave souls which dared death and survived through all the trials and tribulations of AIDS treatments we now take for granted. even the often not so "Smart" ones.

In addition, and I hate to be blunt, but it needs saying, there are people (a great, great number of them) who tried to actually use HIV as an excuse not to work. An excuse to "work" the system, to get all they could, whenever they could. The system reacted to this by implementing very, very strict guidelines for disability qualifications. It is these people who hurt many poor souls who desperately needed help when they were truly sick, and in many cases dying. Yes, I have seen people who died with continuing disability qualification forms on their kitchen table.

So with all that being said, life on disability sucks. Your minimal income slowly gets eaten away to nothing, and you live barely getting by. Now sometimes it works, some people are inherently good at making active and prosperous lives without working, but its like winning the lottery to find them...

Ricky in Michigan.

Re: Disability

Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 6:04 PM

> What are thoughts on disability?

You need to read your benefits book VERY CAREFULLY. You need to

decide how sick you are? Would you be dead if you didnt stop

working?? CAN YOU AFFORD TO STOP WORKING?? You could die from stress

of being broke. Can you do part time??

I checked back and found that in March, 2006, I wrote the following

to the group, apparently to :

<<< I retired on disability in 1994 after 31 years in the marine

industry at age 51 (62 now[65 in Oct 08]). At the time the

governement agreed that i had about 2 years to live. Well, with the

miracle of modern medicine, i'm not only still here, i'm healthier

than i was then, vl undetec since 1997, t's over 700.

Since then i have done volunteer work, ...started a (part-time)

bookkeeping biz, ...traveled, ...managed my medical care almost to my

doctors' annoyance, wrote letters to , and had a fucking

blast with life, it just keeps getting better, and found a partner.

If i went back to work, the gov't would never let me go out on

disability again, that's the scary part. ...I'm convinced that if i

tried to work 40 hrs, i'd be dead in 6 months. I don't feel guilty

being retired, i contributed to the system for 35 years.

Just remember: Too much stress can kill you, and not enough

challenge can kill you just as fast. The secret of life is creating a

balance between the two. (i made that up years ago).

cheers and good luck

edward

san francisco >>>

> You end up seriously in a bind when the casual conversation

> within a very casual atmosphere turns to " what do you

> do... " , implying that what you don't do makes you

> culturally insignificant.

That's " a bind " only if one falls into that poisoned mind set. In any event,

you make a good case for going into therapy before making a major move into a

life without a job. Having a good therapist made things much smoother for me and

that's one of the reasons I'm so happily job free now.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I do have the tendency to

minimalize things (perhaps wishful thinking). Anyway..thanks.

How are you doing?

disability

Dear and others,

You asked for some pointers about filing for disability with Social

Security. As has said it should be a plus that you are on Rituxan

because it shows how badly your Still's is that you need it. You also need

to tell them that your firing came at a good time because you just could not

go on working taking care of a family and doing it all and still get better

but even if better you still are sick. You may have good days and then

always will have bad days and therefore are not a reliable employee. Always

be honest but don't minimalize you're limitations. Maybe this will help in

your applications for your benefits.

Well wishes,

Click here to find the satellite television package that meets your needs.

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/PnY6rx9HtqKBvqQj0i2GEqG0VjoKOzbF7\

jNLVZNKq5eDKc7QHWMWa/

How are you doing?

disability

Dear and others,

Well wishes,

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/PnY6rx9HtqKBvqQj0i2GEqG0VjoKOzbF7\

jNLVZNKq5eDKc7QHWMWa/

How are you doing?

disability

Dear and others,

Well wishes,

jNLVZNKq5eDKc7QHWMWa/

the hardest part is being honest about how little you can do. if you think

about it when you were working why was it you could not give 100%? how come you

could not work 5 day a week every week like most? did you miss a lot of work

like i did for years and I always seamed to be on a write up or some kind of

warning? it is not easy but when filing we can not hide our problems ether. do

not make up things or stretch them but just plain flat honest but that alone is

an eye opener when you write it down and then read it

hugs and best to ya

the  rednecks

Marty & G.

the redneck's my space http://www.myspace.com/martyg58

To learn about Stills Disease  http://www.stillsdisease.org/stills_info

For conservitive minded people  http://www.americac2c.org " If  we ever forget

that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone  under. " ~

Reagan

In the old days a man who saved money was a miser; nowadays he's a wonder. 

~Author Unknown

A nation can survive its fools and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive

treason from within.~Cicero

" The  most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the

government  and I'm here to help. "    ~  Reagan 

hugs and best to ya

the  rednecks

Marty & G.

Reagan

~Author Unknown

hugs and best to ya

the  rednecks

Marty & G.

Reagan

~Author Unknown

Thank you for asking ,

I'm doing ok but a little well actually a lot overwhelmed at times, lol.

is amazing but my schedule has been increased five fold and only

getting busier with doctor appointments coming starting this week and so I'm

still afraid. I did go back to our bedroom though and had to leave in

another part of the house so I could wear my cpap machine again and that is

helping with my fatigue. And, I helped a girlfriend move in a new recliner

for this morning and I KNOW I am going to pay for that, I already am,

but where is a man when you need him? I don't know other than bummed up with

shoulder surgery, lol. He was sooo mad but what could we do? I couldn't even

find someone to pay darn it! All in all though I have been worse and am

surviving and I have to say that and I have had a rough year

emotionally together and it has been very trying at times on our

relationship but this just renews our love and tenderness towards each

other. When you are caring for someone and bathing them and they are doing

things for you like making a pot of coffee the morning after surgery with

one arm after both of us being up most of the night, it just affirms how

much capacity of love that there is in a relationship. I wish everyone could

have that.

Thank you for listing and reading,

Love in light,

How are you doing?

Click to consolidate debt and lower month expenses.

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/PnY6rx9KVYTqKWr4fR5oh3A3cqoiolgVY\

NHYUjKalIStNwbePllXw/

Thank you for asking ,

I'm doing ok but a little well actually a lot overwhelmed at times, lol.

is amazing but my schedule has been increased five fold and only

getting busier with doctor appointments coming starting this week and so I'm

still afraid. I did go back to our bedroom though and had to leave in

another part of the house so I could wear my cpap machine again and that is

helping with my fatigue. And, I helped a girlfriend move in a new recliner

for this morning and I KNOW I am going to pay for that, I already am,

but where is a man when you need him? I don't know other than bummed up with

shoulder surgery, lol. He was sooo mad but what could we do? I couldn't even

find someone to pay darn it! All in all though I have been worse and am

surviving and I have to say that and I have had a rough year

emotionally together and it has been very trying at times on our

relationship but this just renews our love and tenderness towards each

other. When you are caring for someone and bathing them and they are doing

things for you like making a pot of coffee the morning after surgery with

one arm after both of us being up most of the night, it just affirms how

much capacity of love that there is in a relationship. I wish everyone could

have that.

Thank you for listing and reading,

Love in light,

How are you doing?

Click to consolidate debt and lower month expenses.

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/PnY6rx9KVYTqKWr4fR5oh3A3cqoiolgVY\

NHYUjKalIStNwbePllXw/