Juicers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>> For me, there is only one answer... my Green Power for greens and

>> veggies, and my VitaMix for fruits.

>>

>> Fruits are for cleansing, and because of their high sugar content,

>> should not be taken without their fiber. There's nothing like a banana,

>> blueberry and strawberry smoothie for lunch - yummie!

> How do you get the fiber out of the fruit with the Vita Mix blender?

That's the point - you DON'T. Thats why I said " ... should NOT be

taken WITHOUT their fiber... "

Guest guest

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:25:42 -0400, No Free Lunch <tanstaafl_bh@...>

wrote:

>Hi Art,

>

>For me, there is only one answer... my Green Power for greens and

>veggies, and my VitaMix for fruits.

Hi,

I've got a Green Power Juicer.

Had it long enough to be out of warranty.

I've noticed alarming cracks on the surface, and I'm wondering how serious they

are to machine longevity.

Buzzing the 'net, I've discovered that these machines are prone to " breakage " ,

which is a bummer for something so expensive.

Anybody got experiences to share?

I'd like to think this is a cosmetic problem.

Chuck

Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?

Guest guest

Hi Kim,

I’ve tried many of them, both triturating and centrifugal. In general, I personally like the triturating juicers better. As a triturating juicer, the Champion has a long history of giving good performance at a reasonable price, but it has a hard time dealing with tendrilly vegetables and heat builds up in the housing chamber in consequence. With prolonged heat build up, the oil seals in the champion eventually give out, and tou have to send it in for 60.00 or so and get new ones. The commercial model has heavier duty oil seals and holds up longer, but in my opinion, the problem is pretty much avoided altogether with the newer twin gear triturators like the one Green Power makes. They also make a single gear with a turbo prop like curve in it which I think fares better than the champion, but personally I like the double gear—it chews up everything (including wheat grass) with one machine, and without heat build up, so the whole issue of destroying enzymes is skirted. It also has a pasta making attachment which makes no sense at all I know, but I think its a very versatile machine. Cleaning is an issue with all the machines. There are more parts to clean with the Green Power, but personally I think its worth it, and there less concern about getting water on the shaft as with the champion. I just keep mine by the sink and use a sponge with running water. For me its a pretty painless ordeal. You can buy a Green Power online for about $400.00. Hope this helps....

On 12/27/05 6:47 AM, " Kim Saxe " <drkimsaxe@...> wrote:

Quick question. Anyone have an opinion on the best brand of juicers out there? Experiences?

Kim Saxe, ND

Milwaukee, WI

Kim E. Saxe, ND (formerly Wetzler)

Vice-President, Wisconsin Naturopathic Physicians Association

www.milwaukeenaturopathic.com

Seven Stones Center for Wellness

1924 N Farwell Ave

Milwaukee, WI 53202

Riverwest Clinic

826 E. Center St.

Milwaukee, WI 53212

Guest guest

Some people say for someone who is SICK, and has a

compromised digestive system, pulpLESS juice is the way

to go--reason being is the body does not have much to do to be able to

make use of

the nutrients . Other people say it's all perfectly fine for people

even with ( and especially for ) compromised digestion to have pulp

and that the blender method is superior to the juicer method.

Maybe it depends on how sick you are and what is the matter with you?

The Gerson therapy has people who are

undergoing their therapy protocol

using the Norwalk juicer which costs $2200.

http://www.norwalkjuicers.com

Here is what the Gerson website has to say about juicers for people

undergoing Gerson therapy which treats people with cancer and

other serious diseases:

" Since juicing is a crucial part of the Gerson Therapy, it is extremely

important to have a juicer that will not only be very durable, but one

that will produce the highest quantity and highest quality of juice.

For gaining the best quality and volume of juice, we have found it is

essential to first grind the foods together and then press them.

Juicing in this manner extracts the juice (containing the vitamins,

minerals, micronutrients and enzymes) and leaves the dry pulp (fibers)

behind. Many common juicers are not acceptable for use with the Gerson

Therapy. While many of these products are probably fine for normal use

by a healthy person, we do not recommend any other process for

producing Gerson Therapy juice. The following is a description of some

'common' juicers and their problems: Centrifugal Juicers (most common,

least expensive): Centrifugal juicers are fairly common and are

generally the least expensive on the market. They operate by grating

the food against a metal disk which is spinning at a very fast speed.

The main problem with this kind of juicer is that the juicing method is

extremely inefficient for extracting all the nutrients, vitamins and

other essential from the produce being juiced. The resulting juice is

deficient in vitamins, minerals and micronutrients, while unused pulp

fibers are left containing the bulk of the valuable materials. With the

average Gerson patient juicing about 18 pounds of produce a day, use of

a centrifugal juicer would force them to buy much more produce (to gain

the same results) than a two-step, grind & press juicer would require.

Angel Life, Champion, Royal: These masticating juicers are relatively

good products. They grind and extract in one step, but do not produce

the high quality of juice that a two-step, grind & press juicer does.

Overall their juice contains more pulp than others and separates

faster. Some masticating juicers tend to heat the juice in their

process of juicing, which compromises both the quality and content of

juice they produce. While this option is less expensive than many of

two-step, grind & press juicers, we do not recommend them for cancer

patients. Vita-Mix and other liquefiers: The Vita-Mix and similar

products are not true juicers but actually blenders, and are not

acceptable at all for Gerson patients. They do not separate juice from

pulp, but simply blend the two together. Since there is no reduction of

bulk with these products, a patient would have to consume an alarming

amount of produce every day (in addition to regular meals) to receive

the proper amount of nutrients. The following quote comes from A Cancer

Therapy, Appendix II, P. 406: " At first I thought that liquefiers would

be the most wonderful thing. All the material was there, nothing was

lost. But it didn't work. " .... "

[ from http://www.gerson.org ]

Guest guest

> Some people say for someone who is SICK, and has a compromised

> digestive system, pulpLESS juice is the way to go--reason being is

> the body does not have much to do to be able to make use of the

> nutrients . Other people say it's all perfectly fine for people even

> with ( and especially for ) compromised digestion to have pulp and

> that the blender method is superior to the juicer method.

>

> Maybe it depends on how sick you are and what is the matter with

> you?

I should have thought that would be obvious - and is why I used the

'impaired digestive system' qualifier.

The other two limitations/differences of 'juice' from a blender are very

real and unavoidable:

1. You have to ingest *far* more total quantity to get the same amount

of nutrients that you get from juice from a real juicer.

2. You *must* add water - no other way to liquefy solid matter in it.

This results in very 'diluted' juice. The only exceptions to this are

things with extremely high water content, like melons.

Lastly - and I don't care what anyone else says, because I *have* a

vitamix and have used it - and *real* juicers - quite enough to prove

this to myself: there is *no* *way* for a 'blender' to juice anything at

high speeds without adding LOTS of air into the mix. If this doesn't

bother you, fine.

But in short, yes - if you 'squeeze' the resulting pulp through some

type of high-quality screen, you can get real - albeit diluted - juice

from a blender.

Incidentally, this - squeezing through a dense cheese-cloth - is how the

Norwalk works, although it uses pure pulp/puree that is not diluted with

added water, and a very powerful hydraulic press, which is how it

achieves its extremely high efficiency. The remaining pulp is literally

as dry as sawdust. Also, there will be a lot of wasted juice and

nutrients if you strain the result from the blender, unless you use

something similar to the hydraulic press that the Norwalk uses.

The pulp from my Green Star is almost as dry as that from the Norwalk.

Guest guest

From what I have heard gear driven Juicers have less oxidation which is better I know Green Star, and champion Juicers are both gear drivenDennis From: "tuzahu973@..." <tuzahu973@...> Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 2:28 AM Subject: Juicers

I watched the video, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD (see reviews on Youtube.com) and now want to get a JUICER to add to my green lifestyle I've started since my VITAMIX I got in August for my birthday (present to myself). One guy on Youtube lost 91 pounds in 60 days doing the smoothie/juice diet from Fat,Sick. The plan involves eating fruits, veges, nuts, etc, then as smoothies then for a bit just the juice (for 5 days) then back to smoothies/eating fruits/veges.

I'm reading that some people think the Vitamix oxidizes many vitamins as it blends and kills them. I'm not really buying that, there's not all that much oxygen involved in blending for 30 to 60 seconds that I see in my smoothies, also I love the fiber. But I see the good of an auger driven juicer, too.

I'm looking at the Omega vrt350HD. Anyone an expert on juicers? I like the auger juicer vs the centrifugal ones for sure. Any inside before I dip for another, hopefully lifetime juicer?

Guest guest

I like the Hurom 400 very efficient its an auger also. go to eujuicers.com or look them up on youtube...they have the most definitive juicer comparisions anywhere.Totally unbiased. Hope this helps...like I said youtube has a ton of their unbiased tests.Ed From: "tuzahu973@..." <tuzahu973@...>

Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:28 AM Subject: Juicers

I watched the video, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD (see reviews on Youtube.com) and now want to get a JUICER to add to my green lifestyle I've started since my VITAMIX I got in August for my birthday (present to myself). One guy on Youtube lost 91 pounds in 60 days doing the smoothie/juice diet from Fat,Sick. The plan involves eating fruits, veges, nuts, etc, then as smoothies then for a bit just the juice (for 5 days) then back to smoothies/eating fruits/veges.

I'm reading that some people think the Vitamix oxidizes many vitamins as it blends and kills them. I'm not really buying that, there's not all that much oxygen involved in blending for 30 to 60 seconds that I see in my smoothies, also I love the fiber. But I see the good of an auger driven juicer, too.

I'm looking at the Omega vrt350HD. Anyone an expert on juicers? I like the auger juicer vs the centrifugal ones for sure. Any inside before I dip for another, hopefully lifetime juicer?

Guest guest

You are 100% correct in your belief that the Vitamix does not Oxidize the juice enough to damage it. Oxidation does NOT happen that quickly - it is something that happens over time. Think of metal. Rust is oxidation and it takes time. With foods, the rate of oxidation is MUCH faster than with metals of course, but it does not take place at the point of blending (think of an apple turning brown). Oxidation is a complete non-issue if you consume a green smoothie or juice RIGHT after making it. If you store a Green Smoothie, the bubbles (air/oxygen) rise to the top (and so does the fiber) The top layer of fiber acts as a barrier/seal to help prevent oxidation of the lower layers of the smoothie! Pure juice oxidizes MUCH more quickly than Green Smoothies do. http://greensmoothiesblog.com/blending-vs-juicing/ But IMO - both should be consumed right after making them.The idea behind juicing is that you can consume the nutrients of MANY more veggies (by volume) with the fiber removed, than you could with the fiber included. The problem is that by removing the fiber, you are also increasing the glycemic effect of the food by a significant factor. Fiber helps slow the release of sugar into your blood stream. Juice without fiber is digested VERY quickly (as opposed to at a slower pace) and that quick dump of sugar into the blood stream is very bad for people who are pre-diabetic or diabetic. This would not be a problem if people juiced ONLY Greens, but the taste of ONLY green juice is so bad that most people won't do this.I'm at about the same place as you are in "considering" a juicer (my last show at WFM I did one 20 Green Juice every day). But the ONLY thing I would be interested in juicing is dark green leafy veggies (which taste pretty nauseating by themselves). During this show I drank one Green Juice and one Green Smoothy (both were HEAVY on the greens) each day. At home, I wanted to keep up the Green juice / Green Smoothie habit, and was using a nut milk bag to strain the juice. This was much easier (to me) than getting out my Champion, cleaning all of the parts of the Champion, then putting the base and all of the parts away again each day. With the Vitamix and my nut milk bag all I had to clean was a bowl (to catch the juice) and the nut milk bag - both a BREEZE. I also seem to be able to get the fiber much dryer by wringing it out with my hands than my Champion is able to do. But I wasn't able to stomach the greens well unless I added carrot or beet or apple, so I created the mess that my blood sugars are in now. And finally, even if I wanted to use my Champion for just pure green juices - it doesn't do greens well… I can make an awesome green juice by pureeing greens with cucumber for liquid and straining through a nut milk bag until the fiber is really, really dry.At first I felt better drinking the green juices and the Green Smoothie, but eventually, the sugars in the Green Juices and perhaps even in the Green Smoothie (they used lemon and apple in the green juice) messed up my blood sugars, and I had worked SO HARD to get them more stable, and now I can't seem to fight all of the crazy food cravings that are back (sugar DEMANDS more sugar!!!) and my insomnia is back. I am VERY sensitive to sugars!I know me - I just would not be able to keep up the habit of MAKING green juices (if they were all green) if the end result didn't taste drinkable. The only way to make a pure green juice drinkable to me is to add Stevia, but still the benefits for me just don't out weigh all of the work involved, and I find myself just making Greens-heavy Smoothies or all-veggie based blended salads instead.FYI most people don't keep up the juicing habit on a daily basis.The Norwalk Juicer is the best juicer on the market ($2,500). It has a press to get the last bit of minerals out of the fiber. I did a lot of research into getting a press to add to my Vitamix to create a "poor man's Norwalk", but then decided that the best way to get EVERY LAST DROP of minerals from the fiber (as the Norwalk and presses like "The People's Press", would be to consume All of the fiber in the form of a Green Smoothie and get EVERY LAST BIT OF IT!!! ;-)One more thing to consider. Many people do not do well with a "cleanse" - especially people with adrenal exhaustion and/or thyroid issues (among other conditions). Even the FAQ from the Fat Sick and Dead site indicates that not all people should do a "cleanse" http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/about-the-film/learn-more/faq/ "Cleanses are hard on the organs of elimination - especially if they are already under-functioning. If a person was to do a drastic diet change, and cause a lot of toxins to be "rooted out", but their kidneys, adrenals, liver, lymph and sweat systems are not in peak condition (Rarely Are They in today's world without concerted effort) then many more problems can be created. I see that a lot of my post is negative about juicing, and I realize that I am biased because of my own personal health condition. I've learned that what works for one person doesn't Always work for another, and I know that juicing is VERY beneficial to a lot of people! So, I recommend juicing with your Vitamix and a nut milk bag for at least a month and carefully observing your body's reactions to the juices. Make the same juices that you would in a juicer. If you feel much better at the end of the month, and feel pretty sure that you would continue to feel better with more juicing, then look into getting a juicer (though I think the juice from the Vitamix with the fiber squeezed REALLY dry with a nut milk bag rivals the quality of any juicer except the Norwalk… ;-)OK that was long and didn't directly answer your question. As far as juicers go, the Omega is a VERY good juicer. The Green Star gets high marks too. Here is a discussion online that might help: http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?3,137070 (if it doesn't confuse you more ;-)Sorry this post was so rambling… ;-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Dec 24, 2011, at 2:28 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

Guest guest

There are a lot of juicer comparison sites,but here's one that I found helpful. I have the Omega 4000...I added that after having my Champion for many years. I love them both ...I also have the VitaMixhttp://discountjuicers.com/compare.htmlJaneOn Dec 24, 2011, at 2:28 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote: I watched the video, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD (see reviews on Youtube.com) and now want to get a JUICER to add to my green lifestyle I've started since my VITAMIX I got in August for my birthday (present to myself). One guy on Youtube lost 91 pounds in 60 days doing the smoothie/juice diet from Fat,Sick. The plan involves eating fruits, veges, nuts, etc, then as smoothies then for a bit just the juice (for 5 days) then back to smoothies/eating fruits/veges. I'm reading that some people think the Vitamix oxidizes many vitamins as it blends and kills them. I'm not really buying that, there's not all that much oxygen involved in blending for 30 to 60 seconds that I see in my smoothies, also I love the fiber. But I see the good of an auger driven juicer, too. I'm looking at the Omega vrt350HD. Anyone an expert on juicers? I like the auger juicer vs the centrifugal ones for sure. Any inside before I dip for another, hopefully lifetime juicer?

Guest guest

I am a firm believer that fiber is an important ingredient in a healthy life style. Here are a couple of articles in the Mayo Clinic web site that you may find informative on this subject. Santa UPS delivered my Vitamix Professional 500 two days ago and I will start using it tomorrow. Tom http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/juicing/AN02107 http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033

Guest guest

I have the Breville fountain elite (like the movie) and it works great. Clean up is very easy.Good luck. PatSent from my iPadOn Dec 24, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Jane Edenfield <boxers1@...> wrote:

There are a lot of juicer comparison sites,but here's one that I found helpful. I have the Omega 4000...I added that after having my Champion for many years. I love them both ...I also have the VitaMixhttp://discountjuicers.com/compare.htmlJaneOn Dec 24, 2011, at 2:28 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote: I watched the video, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD (see reviews on Youtube.com) and now want to get a JUICER to add to my green lifestyle I've started since my VITAMIX I got in August for my birthday (present to myself). One guy on Youtube lost

91 pounds in 60 days doing the smoothie/juice diet from Fat,Sick. The plan involves eating fruits, veges, nuts, etc, then as smoothies then for a bit just the juice (for 5 days) then back to smoothies/eating fruits/veges. I'm reading that some people think the Vitamix oxidizes many vitamins as it blends and kills them. I'm not really buying that, there's not all that much oxygen involved in blending for 30 to 60 seconds that I see in my smoothies, also I love the fiber. But I see the good of an auger driven juicer, too. I'm looking at the Omega vrt350HD. Anyone an expert on juicers? I like the auger juicer vs the centrifugal ones for sure. Any inside before I dip for another, hopefully lifetime juicer?

Guest guest

I think your post was very interesting and informative. I prefer my

"juice" as whole juice from my VM, but once in a while I think about

trying juice sans fiber, so definitely will get a nut milk bag for

that. Thanks for the informative post.

Velda

On 12/24/2011 5:52 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

You are 100% correct in your belief that the Vitamix does not

Oxidize the juice enough to damage it.  Oxidation does NOT

happen that quickly - it is something that happens over time.

Think of metal.  Rust is oxidation and it takes time.  With

foods, the rate of oxidation is MUCH faster than with metals of

course, but it does not take place at the point of blending

(think of an apple turning brown).  Oxidation is a complete

non-issue if you consume a green smoothie or juice RIGHT after

making it.  If you store a Green Smoothie, the bubbles

(air/oxygen) rise to the top (and so does the fiber) The top

layer of fiber acts as a barrier/seal to help prevent oxidation

of the lower layers of the smoothie!  Pure juice oxidizes MUCH

more quickly than Green Smoothies do.  http://greensmoothiesblog.com/blending-vs-juicing/

But IMO - both should be consumed right after making them.

The idea behind juicing is that you can consume the nutrients

of MANY more veggies (by volume) with the fiber removed, than

you could with the fiber included.  The problem is that by

removing the fiber, you are also increasing the glycemic effect

of the food by a significant factor.  Fiber helps slow the

release of sugar into your blood stream.  Juice without fiber is

digested VERY quickly (as opposed to at a slower pace) and that

quick dump of sugar into the blood stream is very bad for people

who are pre-diabetic or diabetic.  This would not be a problem

if people juiced ONLY Greens, but the taste of ONLY green juice

is so bad that most people won't do this.

I'm at about the same place as you are in "considering" a

juicer (my last show at WFM I did one 20 Green Juice every day).

But the ONLY thing I would be interested in juicing is dark

green leafy veggies (which taste pretty nauseating by

themselves).  During this show I drank one Green Juice and one

Green Smoothy (both were HEAVY on the greens) each day.  

At home, I wanted to keep up the Green juice / Green

Smoothie habit, and was using a nut milk bag to strain the

juice.  This was much easier (to me) than getting out my

Champion, cleaning all of the parts of the Champion, then

putting the base and all of the parts away again each day.

With the Vitamix and my nut milk bag all I had to clean was a

bowl (to catch the juice) and the nut milk bag - both a

BREEZE.  I also seem to be able to get the fiber much dryer by

wringing it out with my hands than my Champion is able to do.

But I wasn't able to stomach the greens well unless I added

carrot or beet or apple, so I created the mess that my blood

sugars are in now.  And finally, even if I wanted to use my

Champion for just pure green juices - it doesn't do greens

well…  I can make an awesome green juice by pureeing greens

with cucumber for liquid and straining through a nut milk bag

until the fiber is really, really dry.

At first I felt better drinking the green juices and the

Green Smoothie, but eventually, the sugars in the Green Juices

and perhaps even in the Green Smoothie (they used lemon and

apple in the green juice) messed up my blood sugars, and I had

worked SO HARD to get them more stable, and now I can't seem

to fight all of the crazy food cravings that are back (sugar

DEMANDS more sugar!!!) and my insomnia is back.  I am VERY

sensitive to sugars!

I know me - I just would not be able to keep up the habit of

MAKING green juices (if they were all green) if the end result

didn't taste drinkable.  The only way to make a pure green juice

drinkable to me is to add Stevia, but still the benefits for me

just don't out weigh all of the work involved, and I find myself

just making Greens-heavy Smoothies or all-veggie based blended

salads instead.

FYI most people don't keep up the juicing habit on a daily

basis.

The Norwalk Juicer is the best juicer on the market

($2,500).  It has a press to get the last bit of minerals out

of the fiber.  I did a lot of research into getting a press to

add to my Vitamix to create a "poor man's Norwalk", but then

decided that the best way to get EVERY LAST DROP of minerals

from the fiber (as the Norwalk and presses like "The People's

Press", would be to consume All of the fiber in the form of a

Green Smoothie and get EVERY LAST BIT OF IT!!!  ;-)

One more thing to consider.  Many people do not do well

with a "cleanse" - especially people with adrenal exhaustion

and/or thyroid issues (among other conditions).  Even the FAQ

from the Fat Sick and Dead site indicates that not all people

should do a "cleanse"  http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/about-the-film/learn-more/faq/

"Cleanses are hard on the organs of elimination - especially

if they are already under-functioning.  If a person was to do

a drastic diet change, and cause a lot of toxins to be "rooted

out", but their kidneys, adrenals, liver, lymph and sweat

systems are not in peak condition (Rarely Are They in today's

world without concerted effort) then many more problems can be

created.  

I see that a lot of my post is negative about juicing, and

I realize that I am biased because of my own personal health

condition.  I've learned that what works for one person

doesn't Always work for another, and I know that juicing is

VERY beneficial to a lot of people!  So, I recommend juicing

with your Vitamix and a nut milk bag for at least a month and

carefully observing your body's reactions to the juices.  Make

the same juices that you would in a juicer.  If you feel much

better at the end of the month, and feel pretty sure that you

would continue to feel better with more juicing, then look

into getting a juicer (though I think the juice from the

Vitamix with the fiber squeezed REALLY dry with a nut milk bag

rivals the quality of any juicer except the Norwalk… ;-)

OK that was long and didn't directly answer your question.

As far as juicers go, the Omega is a VERY good juicer.  The

Green Star gets high marks too.  Here is a discussion online

that might help:  http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?3,137070

(if it doesn't confuse you more ;-)

Sorry this post was so rambling… ;-)

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

On Dec 24, 2011, at 2:28 AM, tuzahu973@...

wrote:

I watched

the video, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD (see reviews on

Youtube.com)

and now want to get a JUICER to add to my green

lifestyle I've started since my VITAMIX I got in

August for my birthday (present to myself).  One guy

on Youtube lost 91 pounds in 60 days doing the

smoothie/juice diet from Fat,Sick.  The plan

involves eating fruits, veges, nuts, etc, then as

smoothies then for a bit just the juice (for 5 days)

then back to smoothies/eating fruits/veges.

I'm reading that some people think the Vitamix

oxidizes many vitamins as it blends and kills them. 

I'm not really buying that, there's not all that

much oxygen involved in blending for 30 to 60

seconds that I see in my smoothies, also I love the

fiber.   But I see the good of an auger driven

juicer, too. 

I'm looking at the Omega vrt350HD.  Anyone an

expert on juicers?  I like the auger juicer vs the

centrifugal ones for sure.  Any inside before I dip

for another, hopefully lifetime juicer?

Guest guest

Lee Ann, and the rest, thanks for you input on this topic. The VITAMIX seems to provide a more natural meal than a juicer. In the wild, we would eat the whole food, not just the juice. VITAMIX basically chews it for us, that's it. We get the goodies and the fiber. Juicing tosses out the pulp & fiber and just the goodies, giving a rush of what ever it is you juiced. Is that a good thing or not? Is the body absorbing all those nutrients in a rush, or, as our digestive system has been for a million years, absorbes what it needs over several hours.

To me eating fiber is like doing dishes, it cleans the plate off, so to speak. I wash my dishes after each meal why not wash out my intestines with fiber each meal? The bowel needs something to work on, the bulk of our foods. Juicing doesn't provide that.

I'm leaning towards considering a juicer to ADD to my VITAMIX. maybe like juicing wheat grass, which I'm looking into growing myself along with some other sprouts (sounds like fun to me to grow!), add those juices to my smoothie. Unless...can a VITAMIX juice wheat grass? Wheat grass in water blended???

Lee Ann, sorry to have read about your problems with sugars. I personally LIKE the bitter of just green juices, though I do dilute them and drink them over an hour or so. I do now and then add an apple or carrot which does make it taste better but I have no problems with sugars, I just don't care for them. My citrus is almost ripe now so I will be eating lots of grapefruit, oranges, tangelos, limes and lemons for the next few months.

I seriously see the benefits of green foods, juicing would open up more to be eaten, but not exclusively as so many do. I think if I had to choose only from my Vitamix or a Juicer that the VITAMIX is the better of the two. If I did get a good juicer (seeing all the videos on youtube with the comparisons I'm leanign more towards the Omega Vert 350) to add a few shots of green to my smoothie I'd be all the better for it. Especially when i start growing my own greens, sprouts and wheat grass.

I take vitamin suppliments, Lessman's off HSN but buy from his website PROCAPLABS.COM as it's cheaper, The quality is exceptional and I'll never switch to another brand.

Guest guest

>

> I am a firm believer that fiber is an important ingredient in a healthy life

style. >

>

Tom, I totally agree with you. That is why I will order my Vitamix (the 5200)

through Lea Ann the week after New Year's Day, and why I am not considering a

juicing machine.

Lynn G

Guest guest

My husband and I were so impressed with Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead that we went

right out to buy a juicer. We live in a small town and could only find a Jack

LaLaine (forgive my spelling) juicer. It had the drip stopper feature, and it

was on sale for $89.99. It does a great job. It's very much like the one Joe

Cross used in the movie.

Of course, having read about all the differences between juicers, I started

looking for a " better " juicer, an auger juicer. I found the Omega VRT 350 HD

available at Bed, Bath & Beyond for just over $300 with my 20% off coupon and

drove the 60 miles to get it. Boy was I disappointed when I got it home. I had

to strain the juice to remove nearly a cup of very long grain pulp, and the

process took quite a long time. Thankfully, BB & B has a great return policy.

If I were you, I would buy the cheaper Jack or Breville to try juicing out.

It's a great juicer concept, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and gives you some

experience with juicers that is very valuable if you decide to upgrade.

ly, the Vitamix is just as good a juicer as the cheaper auger types if you

like straining your juice.

I'm holding out on a new juicer until I can afford the $2500 one Lee Ann says

really works better than the Vitamix.

Sabanna

Guest guest

Sorry to hear your experience with the Omega Vert 350, it got such good reviews on amazon. I know some people that have the huricane manual juicer and love it and the less than $50. healthy juicer, I just don't trust the suction cup tools or clip to the edge of the table, but these two juicers are basically just for wheat grass so might be worth the try.

I've also looked at the Super Angel juicer, but not sure of support in the USA, they look great but I think all support is in Australia so I'd be out of luck if anything happend.

I missed the $2500. model Lee Ann talked about, what model is that on?

I know wheat grass is a tough one to juice and few juicers do it well. the two manual ones I've mentioned get great reviews and all hand cranked. Decisions, decisions. Still, if I use my VitaMix for everything else might try the hand crank and save some $$$, then VitaMix everything else. But, I know me, I'll get a pricy juicer anyway. I'm like that. I don't mind paying for quality, it's just which juicer to invest in.

<<<<<<<<<<<

My husband and I were so impressed with Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead that we went right out to buy a juicer. We live in a small town and could only find a Jack LaLaine (forgive my spelling) juicer. It had the drip stopper feature, and it was on sale for $89.99. It does a great job. It's very much like the one Joe Cross used in the movie.

Of course, having read about all the differences between juicers, I started looking for a "better" juicer, an auger juicer. I found the Omega VRT 350 HD available at Bed, Bath & Beyond for just over $300 with my 20% off coupon and drove the 60 miles to get it. Boy was I disappointed when I got it home. I had to strain the juice to remove nearly a cup of very long grain pulp, and the process took quite a long time. Thankfully, BB & B has a great return policy.

If I were you, I would buy the cheaper Jack or Breville to try juicing out. It's a great juicer concept, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and gives you some experience with juicers that is very valuable if you decide to upgrade. ly, the Vitamix is just as good a juicer as the cheaper auger types if you like straining your juice.

I'm holding out on a new juicer until I can afford the $2500 one Lee Ann says really works better than the Vitamix.

Sabanna

>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

I have been juicing for over 30 years, and have owned just about every type of juicer out there. My favorite was a cheap WARING that I got on clearance for 12 bucks, and my least favorite was a Brevelle that I paid over 300 for. Being the gadget diva that I am, I often get the newest, fanciest gadgets that come out, but am often disappointed in them and end up selling them on ebay, lol. I truly wish I had kept my cheapo Waring, but I passed it on to a family member when I "upgraded" to something "better"-big mistake! Many juicers are extremely hard to clean, and take SO much produce to make even a small glass of juice, that even die hard juice fans will tire of prepping tons of expensive organic produce just to get a small splash of juice (you should NEVER juice non organic veggies, as you just concentrate the pesticides/waxes/chemicals on them and you sure don't want to be taking in more of THAT stuff than needed-the residues do NOT wash off, even with special sprays and such) Like Lea Ann, I am a HUGE fan of the Champion juicer, which does a remarkable job as a companion to the Vitamix and I highly recommend it. You can often find high end juicers like the Champion on craigslist for very little money-I bought a second one for my motor home off of craigslist for 25 bucks-in perfect condition!!) With an item like that, if it can't be cleaned and sanitized after buying uses, you really don't want it anyway if it is that hard to clean) Now, that said, I have found a SIMPLE way to use the Vitamix as my primary juicer, and now I rarely even use the Champion. If you want a clear juice, without the fiber, make yourself and cheap and simple "press" that gives great results-juice your stuff, pour it into a nutmilk bag suspended over a bowl, squeeze out what you can with your hands, then use a cheapy tortilla press (7 dollars at any store that sells Mexican foods)-when you have squeezed out what you can by hand, press the bag in the tortilla press by just suspending it over the bowl (I bought a bowl that fits it perfectly at a yard sale for a quarter) The tortilla press gives you just the leverage you need to extract the last of the juice. You can use leftover pulp from juicing in baked goods, raw bars, soups, stocks, etc., or make a compost tea or compost it straight. For years I had considered getting a Norwalk, and still would if a bargain landed in my lap, but I truly don't want the monster gadget taking up most of my counter real estate, when I can make do just fine with a few little improvs! As for wheatgrass, I have grown it extensively over the years and have found that simple homegrown micro greens are not only easier to use, but contain just as many health benefits. I use a couple of different sprouting methods, which you can see or purchase at http://www.mymealmasters.com I LOVE the easy green mikro (micro) farm, and the simple wheatgrass growing kits or food pantrie (pantry) for sprouting and growing many things. Sunflower greens are VERY easy to grow and packed with nutrients-and will juice beautifully in ANY juicer without needed a special one such as you do for wheatgrass. There are videos on my site showing how to grow micro greens and sprouts. Sprouts need no soil and can be done cheaply and very easily with just basic household things, and microgreens can be grown in less than a week with either a tiny amount of soil or other clean growing mediums. Sent from my iPadOn Dec 26, 2011, at 5:30 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

Sorry to hear your experience with the Omega Vert 350, it got such good reviews on amazon. I know some people that have the huricane manual juicer and love it and the less than $50. healthy juicer, I just don't trust the suction cup tools or clip to the edge of the table, but these two juicers are basically just for wheat grass so might be worth the try.

I've also looked at the Super Angel juicer, but not sure of support in the USA, they look great but I think all support is in Australia so I'd be out of luck if anything happend.

I know wheat grass is a tough one to juice and few juicers do it well. the two manual ones I've mentioned get great reviews and all hand cranked. Decisions, decisions. Still, if I use my VitaMix for everything else might try the hand crank and save some $$$, then VitaMix everything else. But, I know me, I'll get a pricy juicer anyway. I'm like that. I don't mind paying for quality, it's just which juicer to invest in.

<<<<<<<<<<<

My husband and I were so impressed with Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead that we went right out to buy a juicer. We live in a small town and could only find a Jack LaLaine (forgive my spelling) juicer. It had the drip stopper feature, and it was on sale for $89.99. It does a great job. It's very much like the one Joe Cross used in the movie.

Of course, having read about all the differences between juicers, I started looking for a "better" juicer, an auger juicer. I found the Omega VRT 350 HD available at Bed, Bath & Beyond for just over $300 with my 20% off coupon and drove the 60 miles to get it. Boy was I disappointed when I got it home. I had to strain the juice to remove nearly a cup of very long grain pulp, and the process took quite a long time. Thankfully, BB & B has a great return policy.

If I were you, I would buy the cheaper Jack or Breville to try juicing out. It's a great juicer concept, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and gives you some experience with juicers that is very valuable if you decide to upgrade. ly, the Vitamix is just as good a juicer as the cheaper auger types if you like straining your juice.

I'm holding out on a new juicer until I can afford the $2500 one Lee Ann says really works better than the Vitamix.

Sabanna

>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

Hello,You asked about Wheat Grass - yes, you can add water and blend it up and strain it. Here is a YouTube Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcuK4TWkbiIAlso, you can use wheat grass instead of greens in a smoothie!Can you put Wheat Grass in a Green Smoothie? (if this isn't a clickable link - you can find this title at our Links page)Adding green juice shots to a Green Smoothie is an excellent idea! :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Dec 25, 2011, at 10:13 PM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

Lee Ann, and the rest, thanks for you input on this topic. The VITAMIX seems to provide a more natural meal than a juicer. In the wild, we would eat the whole food, not just the juice. VITAMIX basically chews it for us, that's it. We get the goodies and the fiber. Juicing tosses out the pulp & fiber and just the goodies, giving a rush of what ever it is you juiced. Is that a good thing or not? Is the body absorbing all those nutrients in a rush, or, as our digestive system has been for a million years, absorbes what it needs over several hours.

To me eating fiber is like doing dishes, it cleans the plate off, so to speak. I wash my dishes after each meal why not wash out my intestines with fiber each meal? The bowel needs something to work on, the bulk of our foods. Juicing doesn't provide that.

I'm leaning towards considering a juicer to ADD to my VITAMIX. maybe like juicing wheat grass, which I'm looking into growing myself along with some other sprouts (sounds like fun to me to grow!), add those juices to my smoothie. Unless...can a VITAMIX juice wheat grass? Wheat grass in water blended???

Lee Ann, sorry to have read about your problems with sugars. I personally LIKE the bitter of just green juices, though I do dilute them and drink them over an hour or so. I do now and then add an apple or carrot which does make it taste better but I have no problems with sugars, I just don't care for them. My citrus is almost ripe now so I will be eating lots of grapefruit, oranges, tangelos, limes and lemons for the next few months.

I seriously see the benefits of green foods, juicing would open up more to be eaten, but not exclusively as so many do. I think if I had to choose only from my Vitamix or a Juicer that the VITAMIX is the better of the two. If I did get a good juicer (seeing all the videos on youtube with the comparisons I'm leanign more towards the Omega Vert 350) to add a few shots of green to my smoothie I'd be all the better for it. Especially when i start growing my own greens, sprouts and wheat grass.

I take vitamin suppliments, Lessman's off HSN but buy from his website PROCAPLABS.COM as it's cheaper, The quality is exceptional and I'll never switch to another brand.

Guest guest

The idea of processing foods for juice in the VitaMix and then using

some mechanism such as a nut bag to separate the pulp works fine and has

been around for a long time....for the youngsters :-) among us, many

yearii ago VitaMix themselves made a screwpress which fit into the main

container; the process was to process the veggies, dump them into a

filter bag (as in our current " nut bag " ), then put the lower portion of

the press into the container, followed by the bag full of processed

veggies, topped off by the screw portion of the press. Then one could

just open the spigot above a container and presto-mundo! Juice! Worked

very slickly and was easy to understand, use, clean up, and store. No

clue why they don't make it still but haven't seen it for a very long time.

SJ

Guest guest

I've had the manual Healthy Juicer for more than a year now and I really like the ease of use and the juice that I get from it. It does greens very well. I have had a couple of accidents with the suction releasing while I was juicing, but I really have to take the blame for it because of not paying sufficient attention. My husband decided that I needed an electric juicer and he settled on the Breville Fountain Compact (he tends to rely heavily on Amazon reviews) . So far I like it very much. It is actually easier to clean than the Healthy Juicer. The pulp is somewhat wet, but I could only squeeze about a tablespoonful of juice from it when I put it in a nut milk bag. It appears not to be the best for greens, but I juiced one regular-sized Valencia orange today and got 4 oz of juice. I thought that was a

good yield. I also had about 12 oz of juice from two heads of baby bok choy, a handful of spinach, one apple, a carrot, 2" of cucumber, 2 stalks of celery, a slice of cabbage about 1", and one large leaf of curly kale. Also a thumb-size piece of ginger. Not the tastiest I've had, but not bad. I plan to continue using the manual juicer or the Vitamix for the greens - seems like double the work, but I don't have the heart to tell my husband he didn't quite get the brass ring with this gift. I appreciate his effort and thoughtfulness. I'm hoping to use the Breville in the evening for mostly fruit juice and the Healthy Juicer at lunchtime for green (mostly veggie) juice. Good luck, everyone, with your choice of juicer!Peggy

Guest guest

It is amazing what all you can learn from this group.  I never would have thought to use a tortilla press to finish up the extraction process!! Thanks for that great idea.

BTW - about wheat grass.  I read once that it should be consumed alone to get the benefits.  But that video attached to this e-mail showed him mixing it with several other ingredients.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God.

Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Berry <berrywell@...> wrote:

I have been juicing for over 30 years, and have owned just about every type of juicer out there.  My favorite was a cheap WARING that I got on clearance for 12 bucks, and my least favorite was a Brevelle that I paid over 300 for.  Being the gadget diva that I am, I often get the newest, fanciest gadgets that come out, but am often disappointed in them and end up selling them on ebay, lol.  I truly wish I had kept my cheapo Waring, but I passed it on to a family member when I " upgraded " to something " better " -big mistake!  Many juicers are extremely hard to clean, and take SO much produce to make even a small glass of juice, that even die hard juice fans will tire of prepping tons of expensive organic produce just to get a small splash of juice (you should NEVER juice non organic veggies, as you just concentrate the pesticides/waxes/chemicals on them and you sure don't want to be taking in more of THAT stuff than needed-the residues do NOT wash off, even with special sprays and such)   Like Lea Ann, I am a HUGE fan of the Champion juicer, which does a remarkable job as a companion to the Vitamix and I highly recommend it.  You can often find high end juicers like the Champion on craigslist for very little money-I bought a second one for my motor home off of craigslist for 25 bucks-in perfect condition!!)  With an item like that, if it can't be cleaned and sanitized after buying uses, you really don't want it anyway if it is that hard to clean)   Now, that said, I have found a SIMPLE way to use the Vitamix as my primary juicer, and now I rarely even use the Champion.  If you want a clear juice, without the fiber, make yourself and cheap and simple " press " that gives great results-juice your stuff, pour it into a nutmilk bag suspended over a bowl, squeeze out what you can with your hands, then use a cheapy tortilla press (7 dollars at any store that sells Mexican foods)-when you have squeezed out what you can by hand, press the bag in the tortilla press by just suspending it over the bowl (I bought a bowl that fits it perfectly at a yard sale for a quarter)  The tortilla press gives you just the leverage you need to extract the last of the juice.  You can use leftover pulp from juicing in baked goods, raw bars, soups, stocks, etc., or make a compost tea or compost it straight.  For years I had considered getting a Norwalk, and still would if a bargain landed in my lap, but I truly don't want the monster gadget taking up most of my counter real estate, when I can make do just fine with a few little improvs!   As for wheatgrass, I have grown it extensively over the years and have found that simple homegrown micro greens are not only easier to use, but contain just as many health benefits.  I use a couple of different sprouting methods, which you can see or purchase at http://www.mymealmasters.com     I LOVE the easy green mikro (micro) farm, and the simple wheatgrass growing kits or food pantrie (pantry) for sprouting and growing many things.  Sunflower greens are VERY easy to grow and packed with nutrients-and will juice beautifully in ANY juicer without needed a special one such as you do for wheatgrass.   There are videos on my site showing how to grow micro greens and sprouts.  Sprouts need no soil and can be done cheaply and very easily with just basic household things, and microgreens can be grown in less than a week with either a tiny amount of soil or other clean growing mediums.  

Sent from my iPadOn Dec 26, 2011, at 5:30 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

Sorry to hear your experience with the Omega Vert 350, it got such good reviews on amazon.  I know some people that have the huricane manual juicer and love it and the less than $50. healthy juicer, I just don't trust the suction cup tools or clip to the edge of the table, but these two juicers are basically just for wheat grass so might be worth the try. 

I know wheat grass is a tough one to juice and few juicers do it well.  the two manual ones I've mentioned get great reviews and all hand cranked.  Decisions, decisions.  Still, if I use my VitaMix for everything else might try the hand crank and save some $$$, then VitaMix everything else.  But, I know me, I'll get a pricy juicer anyway.  I'm like that.  I don't mind paying for quality, it's just which juicer to invest in.

<<<<<<<<<<<

Of course, having read about all the differences between juicers, I started looking for a " better " juicer, an auger juicer. I found the Omega VRT 350 HD available at Bed, Bath & Beyond for just over $300 with my 20% off coupon and drove the 60 miles to get it. Boy was I disappointed when I got it home. I had to strain the juice to remove nearly a cup of very long grain pulp, and the process took quite a long time. Thankfully, BB & B has a great return policy.

Sabanna

>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

I actually came up with the tortilla press idea as a joke, but it worked out great! A friend and I were comparing the high end press juicers, and I joked that I could probably make do with using a tortilla press-on a lark, I tried it and it WORKED, lol. I call it my "ghetto norwalk"!Sent from my iPadOn Dec 28, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

It is amazing what all you can learn from this group. I never would have thought to use a tortilla press to finish up the extraction process!! Thanks for that great idea.

BTW - about wheat grass. I read once that it should be consumed alone to get the benefits. But that video attached to this e-mail showed him mixing it with several other ingredients.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God.

Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Berry <berrywell@...> wrote:

I have been juicing for over 30 years, and have owned just about every type of juicer out there. My favorite was a cheap WARING that I got on clearance for 12 bucks, and my least favorite was a Brevelle that I paid over 300 for. Being the gadget diva that I am, I often get the newest, fanciest gadgets that come out, but am often disappointed in them and end up selling them on ebay, lol. I truly wish I had kept my cheapo Waring, but I passed it on to a family member when I "upgraded" to something "better"-big mistake! Many juicers are extremely hard to clean, and take SO much produce to make even a small glass of juice, that even die hard juice fans will tire of prepping tons of expensive organic produce just to get a small splash of juice (you should NEVER juice non organic veggies, as you just concentrate the pesticides/waxes/chemicals on them and you sure don't want to be taking in more of THAT stuff than needed-the residues do NOT wash off, even with special sprays and such) Like Lea Ann, I am a HUGE fan of the Champion juicer, which does a remarkable job as a companion to the Vitamix and I highly recommend it. You can often find high end juicers like the Champion on craigslist for very little money-I bought a second one for my motor home off of craigslist for 25 bucks-in perfect condition!!) With an item like that, if it can't be cleaned and sanitized after buying uses, you really don't want it anyway if it is that hard to clean) Now, that said, I have found a SIMPLE way to use the Vitamix as my primary juicer, and now I rarely even use the Champion. If you want a clear juice, without the fiber, make yourself and cheap and simple "press" that gives great results-juice your stuff, pour it into a nutmilk bag suspended over a bowl, squeeze out what you can with your hands, then use a cheapy tortilla press (7 dollars at any store that sells Mexican foods)-when you have squeezed out what you can by hand, press the bag in the tortilla press by just suspending it over the bowl (I bought a bowl that fits it perfectly at a yard sale for a quarter) The tortilla press gives you just the leverage you need to extract the last of the juice. You can use leftover pulp from juicing in baked goods, raw bars, soups, stocks, etc., or make a compost tea or compost it straight. For years I had considered getting a Norwalk, and still would if a bargain landed in my lap, but I truly don't want the monster gadget taking up most of my counter real estate, when I can make do just fine with a few little improvs! As for wheatgrass, I have grown it extensively over the years and have found that simple homegrown micro greens are not only easier to use, but contain just as many health benefits. I use a couple of different sprouting methods, which you can see or purchase at http://www.mymealmasters.com I LOVE the easy green mikro (micro) farm, and the simple wheatgrass growing kits or food pantrie (pantry) for sprouting and growing many things. Sunflower greens are VERY easy to grow and packed with nutrients-and will juice beautifully in ANY juicer without needed a special one such as you do for wheatgrass. There are videos on my site showing how to grow micro greens and sprouts. Sprouts need no soil and can be done cheaply and very easily with just basic household things, and microgreens can be grown in less than a week with either a tiny amount of soil or other clean growing mediums.

Sent from my iPadOn Dec 26, 2011, at 5:30 AM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<<

Sabanna

>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

I laugh when I read about the tortilla press, and yet, I have a

tortilla press and may indeed try it when I get a nut milk bag.

thanks for the suggestion

Velda

On 12/28/2011 8:57 PM, Berry wrote:

I actually came up with the tortilla press idea as a joke,

but it worked out great!  A friend and I were comparing the high

end press juicers, and I joked that I could probably make do

with using a tortilla press-on a lark, I tried it and it WORKED,

lol.  I call it my "ghetto norwalk"!

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 28, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...>

wrote:

It is amazing what all you

can learn from this group.  I never would have

thought to use a tortilla press to finish up the

extraction process!! Thanks for that great idea.

BTW - about wheat grass.  I read once that it should

be consumed alone to get the benefits.  But that

video attached to this e-mail showed him mixing it

with several other ingredients.

Rena

If God

brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy

moments, praise God.

Difficult

moments, seek God.

Quiet

moments, worship God.

Painful

moments, trust God.

Every

moment, thank God.

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 6:37 AM,

Berry <berrywell@...>

wrote:

I have been juicing for over 30 years, and

have owned just about every type of juicer out

there.  My favorite was a cheap WARING that I

got on clearance for 12 bucks, and my least

favorite was a Brevelle that I paid over 300

for.  Being the gadget diva that I am, I often

get the newest, fanciest gadgets that come

out, but am often disappointed in them and end

up selling them on ebay, lol.  I truly wish I

had kept my cheapo Waring, but I passed it on

to a family member when I "upgraded" to

something "better"-big mistake!  Many juicers

are extremely hard to clean, and take SO much

produce to make even a small glass of juice,

that even die hard juice fans will tire of

prepping tons of expensive organic produce

just to get a small splash of juice (you

should NEVER juice non organic veggies, as you

just concentrate the

pesticides/waxes/chemicals on them and you

sure don't want to be taking in more of THAT

stuff than needed-the residues do NOT w!

ash off, even with special sprays and such)  

Like Lea Ann, I am a HUGE fan of the Champion

juicer, which does a remarkable job as a

companion to the Vitamix and I highly

recommend it.  You can often find high end

juicers like the Champion on craigslist for

very little money-I bought a second one for my

motor home off of craigslist for 25 bucks-in

perfect condition!!)  With an item like that,

if it can't be cleaned and sanitized after

buying uses, you really don't want it anyway

if it is that hard to clean)   Now, that said,

I have found a SIMPLE way to use the Vitamix

as my primary juicer, and now I rarely even

use the Champion.  If you want a clear juice,

without the fiber, make yourself and cheap and

simple "press" that gives great results-juice

your stuff, pour it into a nutmilk bag

suspended over a bowl, squeeze out what you

can with your hands, then use a cheapy

tortilla press (7 dollars at any store that

sells Mexican foods)-when you have squeez!

ed out what you can by hand, press the bag in

the tortilla press by just suspending it over

the bowl (I bought a bowl that fits it

perfectly at a yard sale for a quarter)  The

tortilla press gives you just the leverage you

need to extract the last of the juice.  You

can use leftover pulp from juicing in baked

goods, raw bars, soups, stocks, etc., or make

a compost tea or compost it straight.  For

years I had considered getting a Norwalk, and

still would if a bargain landed in my lap, but

I truly don't want the monster gadget taking

up most of my counter real estate, when I can

make do just fine with a few little improvs!  

As for wheatgrass, I have grown it extensively

over the years and have found that simple

homegrown micro greens are not only easier to

use, but contain just as many health benefits.

I use a couple of different sprouting

methods, which you can see or purchase at http://www.mymeal!

masters.com     I LOVE the

easy green mikro (micro) farm, and the simple

wheatgrass growing kits or food pantrie

(pantry) for sprouting and growing many

things.  Sunflower greens are VERY easy to

grow and packed with nutrients-and will juice

beautifully in ANY juicer without needed a

special one such as you do for wheatgrass.  

There are videos on my site showing how to

grow micro greens and sprouts.  Sprouts need

no soil and can be done cheaply and very

easily with just basic household things, and

microgreens can be grown in less than a week

with either a tiny amount of soil or other

clean growing mediums.  

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 26, 2011, at 5:30 AM, tuzahu973@...

wrote:

Sorry to hear your

experience with the Omega Vert

350, it got such good reviews on

amazon.  I know some people that

have the huricane manual juicer

and love it and the less than $50.

healthy juicer, I just don't trust

the suction cup tools or clip to

the edge of the table, but these

two juicers are basically just for

wheat grass so might be worth the

try. 

I've also looked at the Super

Angel juicer, but not sure of

support in the USA, they look great

but I think all support is in

Australia so I'd be out of luck if

anything happend.

I missed the $2500. model Lee Ann

talked about, what model is that on?

I know wheat grass is a tough one

to juice and few juicers do it

well.  the two manual ones I've

mentioned get great reviews and all

hand cranked.  Decisions,

decisions.  Still, if I use my

VitaMix for everything else might

try the hand crank and save some

$$$, then VitaMix everything else. 

But, I know me, I'll get a pricy

juicer anyway.  I'm like that.  I

don't mind paying for quality, it's

just which juicer to invest in.

<<<<<<<<<<<

My husband and I were so

impressed with Fat, Sick And Nearly

Dead that we went right out to buy a

juicer. We live in a small town and

could only find a Jack LaLaine

(forgive my spelling) juicer. It had

the drip stopper feature, and it was

on sale for $89.99. It does a great

job. It's very much like the one Joe

Cross used in the movie.

Of course, having read about all the

differences between juicers, I

started looking for a "better"

juicer, an auger juicer. I found the

Omega VRT 350 HD available at Bed,

Bath & Beyond for just over $300

with my 20% off coupon and drove the

60 miles to get it. Boy was I

disappointed when I got it home. I

had to strain the juice to remove

nearly a cup of very long grain

pulp, and the process took quite a

long time. Thankfully, BB & B has

a great return policy.

If I were you, I would buy the

cheaper Jack or Breville to try

juicing out. It's a great juicer

concept, doesn't cost an arm and a

leg, and gives you some experience

with juicers that is very valuable

if you decide to upgrade. ly,

the Vitamix is just as good a juicer

as the cheaper auger types if you

like straining your juice.

I'm holding out on a new juicer

until I can afford the $2500 one Lee

Ann says really works better than

the Vitamix.

Sabanna

>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

Hi,

I see that there are many comments, and I apologize for not having time to read

them all. I want to say that, in case something I say has already been covered,

rebutted, etc.

I have a green star juicer I've owned for over ten years. It is a wonderful

machine. I also own the manual healthy juicer which I purchased for travel,

camping. It works very well, does not squeeze as much juice, but it is easy to

use and it does give plenty of juice. It is hard to push very tough veggies,

like carrots, through. It does do greens. I also own a vitamix, which I

purchased about 2 years ago. In my opinion, they all have their place.

As to the question of oxidation, I'm not a scientist, and I don't know what the

difference between oxidation and other effects of " cooking " are, but we all know

how rapidly the vitamix heats it's contents. ANd it's not opinion that heating

destroys enzymes in food, especially delicate vegetable and fruits. And this

concerns me when I am using fresh produce. I definitely notice a difference

between drinking fresh juice from my green star (auger style juicer, which has

been proven to make fresher juice than other juicers, nevermind the vitamix,

because it does not heat the juice like shredding style juicers, which move

extremely fast, like the vitamix). The augers press the food, and move slowly

but powerfully.

I love the vitamix. I make smoothies in it with coconut meat, which is a great

aid in stabilizing blood sugar, getting good fats, and fiber. I have ground up

very hard dried roots to encapsulate to save money on supplements. Most people

don't know they can use the vitamix for this. The owner of the local herb shop

was impressed when I told her, as a vitamix is much cheaper than a machine for

grinding herbs that she was considering buying.

I also have made coconut milk with both the vitamix and the green star, by

putting the meat and water in vitamix to grind and blend, and then into the

green star to strain. The remaining coconut fiber is extrememly dry and this is

the most delicious drink ever. I've also made coconut cream by putting fresh

coconut meat directly into the green star, a creamy thick coconut liquid comes

out which completely solidifies in the fridge. There is a video on youtube of

someone using the greenstar to make this coconut cream.

Using fresh coconuts is time consuming, so if I do it now, I get a bunch, and

freeze the meat for later. That way, I can use it in smoothies in the vitamix,

or for pressing through the greenstar. I read in Fife's coconut book that the

frozen coconut meat gives more juice, as fibers are broken down by freezing. I

notice that when I leave it in the freezer for a long time, it breaks down in

the bag, but it goes better in the smoothie, because the fiber is not a pleasing

texture, sometimes, even from the vitamix.

I've also owned a juicer that shreds, the acme centrifugal juicer. Not as much

juice and it did not taste as good as the juice from the green star.I did not

like it all. To make juice that is not so high glycemic but still tasty, the

best combination I've found is celery, cucumber, 1/2 a green apple, and kale or

chard or whatever greens you like. If your budget allows you to use lots of

cuke/celery, it is very delicious.

I don't worry so much about the heat effect of the vitamix on nut milks and

coconut, as they have protective fat, and especially coconut fat is not

denatured by heat.

When I began to have serious blood sugar issues, I thought about getting rid of

my juicer. I also considered it because according to chinese medical theory,

warming cooked foods are very healing, and most modern illnesses are exacerbated

by raw foods. So I don't use it as much as I used to.

It all depends on what you are trying to do, and there is a place for both raw,

enzyme rich foods that don't require digestion, and warm, vitamin and mineral

and fiber rich foods which nourish as well.

But I'm glad I didn't sell it. I think there is a place for both in a modern

kitchen for someone trying to recover from chronic illness, as I am.

I think the juicer is more time consuming, that is true, the prepping and

cleanup. But if I were not so lazy, I would juice for the enzymes and such, and

add it to an already mixed vitamix smoothie. Or drink the juice then coconut or

almond milk. If I had blood sugar problems. If I did not, and could tolerate

the juicing, I definitely would do a juice fast at times. I hope someday to be

able to do one again. Even if only for a very short time.

Above all, listen to your own body. That is what I'm trying to do, there is so

much conflicting information about what is the right diet. Some people believe

fiber is not as necessary as we are told. I have no idea, but I do believe that

the whole low fat thing was a health disaster, so I guess it is possible the

fiber dogma is not entirely accurate either. Some people eat almost all fat and

protein and thrive, like Eskimos. So the key is to find what works for you, at

this time, and be flexible and intuitive so that as you heal, if you're body

needs a change you are open to it, and not stuck in a nutritional religion. I'm

sorry if that sounds harsh, I speak from personal experience and I'm trying very

hard to walk my own talk in this matter.

Just really felt that my experience was valuable here. I don't usually read the

list, but my little alert pops up for new mail, and I glance at it

sometimes, and this time I saw someone asking about the manual Healthy Juicer,

which I think is a great little product, for what it is, so I wanted to chime

in.

Healthy New Year to All.

Ps, I added to this on rereading, and it seems a little harder to read, but I

felt the additional information was important, even though i had petered out too

much to completely edit and rewrite it. Apologies.

>

>

> I watched the video, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD (see reviews on Youtube.com)

and now want to get a JUICER to add to my green lifestyle I've started since my

VITAMIX I got in August for my birthday (present to myself). One guy on Youtube

lost 91 pounds in 60 days doing the smoothie/juice diet from Fat,Sick. The plan

involves eating fruits, veges, nuts, etc, then as smoothies then for a bit just

the juice (for 5 days) then back to smoothies/eating fruits/veges.

>

> I'm reading that some people think the Vitamix oxidizes many vitamins as it

blends and kills them. I'm not really buying that, there's not all that much

oxygen involved in blending for 30 to 60 seconds that I see in my smoothies,

also I love the fiber. But I see the good of an auger driven juicer, too.

>

> I'm looking at the Omega vrt350HD. Anyone an expert on juicers? I like the

auger juicer vs the centrifugal ones for sure. Any inside before I dip for

another, hopefully lifetime juicer?

>

Guest guest

Lises,

Have you heard about the 30 day reversing diabetes? My last Dr's visit he

said I was now pre-diabetic. So I started looking for information on the

net. I found a program that will reverse diabetes in 30 days. I sent for

the DVDs and the thing is to eat all raw foods. You can find videos on

this on you tube. One of the DVD had recipes. This also reversed heart

problems and many other health problems.

Lucille

--------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:52 PM

< >

Subject: Re: Juicers

>

> Hi,

> I see that there are many comments, and I apologize for not having time to

> read them all. I want to say that, in case something I say has already

> been covered, rebutted, etc.

>

> I have a green star juicer I've owned for over ten years. It is a

> wonderful machine. I also own the manual healthy juicer which I purchased

> for travel, camping. It works very well, does not squeeze as much juice,

> but it is easy to use and it does give plenty of juice. It is hard to

> push very tough veggies, like carrots, through. It does do greens. I

> also own a vitamix, which I purchased about 2 years ago. In my opinion,

> they all have their place.

> As to the question of oxidation, I'm not a scientist, and I don't know

> what the difference between oxidation and other effects of " cooking " are,

> but we all know how rapidly the vitamix heats it's contents. ANd it's not

> opinion that heating destroys enzymes in food, especially delicate

> vegetable and fruits. And this concerns me when I am using fresh

> produce. I definitely notice a difference between drinking fresh juice

> from my green star (auger style juicer, which has been proven to make

> fresher juice than other juicers, nevermind the vitamix, because it does

> not heat the juice like shredding style juicers, which move extremely

> fast, like the vitamix). The augers press the food, and move slowly but

> powerfully.

>

> I love the vitamix. I make smoothies in it with coconut meat, which is a

> great aid in stabilizing blood sugar, getting good fats, and fiber. I

> have ground up very hard dried roots to encapsulate to save money on

> supplements. Most people don't know they can use the vitamix for this.

> The owner of the local herb shop was impressed when I told her, as a

> vitamix is much cheaper than a machine for grinding herbs that she was

> considering buying.

> I also have made coconut milk with both the vitamix and the green star, by

> putting the meat and water in vitamix to grind and blend, and then into

> the green star to strain. The remaining coconut fiber is extrememly dry

> and this is the most delicious drink ever. I've also made coconut cream by

> putting fresh coconut meat directly into the green star, a creamy thick

> coconut liquid comes out which completely solidifies in the fridge. There

> is a video on youtube of someone using the greenstar to make this coconut

> cream.

> Using fresh coconuts is time consuming, so if I do it now, I get a bunch,

> and freeze the meat for later. That way, I can use it in smoothies in the

> vitamix, or for pressing through the greenstar. I read in Fife's coconut

> book that the frozen coconut meat gives more juice, as fibers are broken

> down by freezing. I notice that when I leave it in the freezer for a long

> time, it breaks down in the bag, but it goes better in the smoothie,

> because the fiber is not a pleasing texture, sometimes, even from the

> vitamix.

>

> I've also owned a juicer that shreds, the acme centrifugal juicer. Not as

> much juice and it did not taste as good as the juice from the green star.I

> did not like it all. To make juice that is not so high glycemic but still

> tasty, the best combination I've found is celery, cucumber, 1/2 a green

> apple, and kale or chard or whatever greens you like. If your budget

> allows you to use lots of cuke/celery, it is very delicious.

> I don't worry so much about the heat effect of the vitamix on nut milks

> and coconut, as they have protective fat, and especially coconut fat is

> not denatured by heat.

> When I began to have serious blood sugar issues, I thought about getting

> rid of my juicer. I also considered it because according to chinese

> medical theory, warming cooked foods are very healing, and most modern

> illnesses are exacerbated by raw foods. So I don't use it as much as I

> used to.

> It all depends on what you are trying to do, and there is a place for both

> raw, enzyme rich foods that don't require digestion, and warm, vitamin and

> mineral and fiber rich foods which nourish as well.

> But I'm glad I didn't sell it. I think there is a place for both in a

> modern kitchen for someone trying to recover from chronic illness, as I

> am.

> I think the juicer is more time consuming, that is true, the prepping and

> cleanup. But if I were not so lazy, I would juice for the enzymes and

> such, and add it to an already mixed vitamix smoothie. Or drink the juice

> then coconut or almond milk. If I had blood sugar problems. If I did

> not, and could tolerate the juicing, I definitely would do a juice fast at

> times. I hope someday to be able to do one again. Even if only for a

> very short time.

> Above all, listen to your own body. That is what I'm trying to do, there

> is so much conflicting information about what is the right diet. Some

> people believe fiber is not as necessary as we are told. I have no idea,

> but I do believe that the whole low fat thing was a health disaster, so I

> guess it is possible the fiber dogma is not entirely accurate either.

> Some people eat almost all fat and protein and thrive, like Eskimos. So

> the key is to find what works for you, at this time, and be flexible and

> intuitive so that as you heal, if you're body needs a change you are open

> to it, and not stuck in a nutritional religion. I'm sorry if that sounds

> harsh, I speak from personal experience and I'm trying very hard to walk

> my own talk in this matter.

> Just really felt that my experience was valuable here. I don't usually

> read the list, but my little alert pops up for new mail, and I

> glance at it sometimes, and this time I saw someone asking about the

> manual Healthy Juicer, which I think is a great little product, for what

> it is, so I wanted to chime in.

> Healthy New Year to All.

>

> Ps, I added to this on rereading, and it seems a little harder to read,

> but I felt the additional information was important, even though i had

> petered out too much to completely edit and rewrite it. Apologies.

>

>>

>>

>> I watched the video, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD (see reviews on

>> Youtube.com) and now want to get a JUICER to add to my green lifestyle

>> I've started since my VITAMIX I got in August for my birthday (present to

>> myself). One guy on Youtube lost 91 pounds in 60 days doing the

>> smoothie/juice diet from Fat,Sick. The plan involves eating fruits,

>> veges, nuts, etc, then as smoothies then for a bit just the juice (for 5

>> days) then back to smoothies/eating fruits/veges.

>>

>> I'm reading that some people think the Vitamix oxidizes many vitamins as

>> it blends and kills them. I'm not really buying that, there's not all

>> that much oxygen involved in blending for 30 to 60 seconds that I see in

>> my smoothies, also I love the fiber. But I see the good of an auger

>> driven juicer, too.

>>

>> I'm looking at the Omega vrt350HD. Anyone an expert on juicers? I like

>> the auger juicer vs the centrifugal ones for sure. Any inside before I

>> dip for another, hopefully lifetime juicer?

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>