back an adopted baby. I am taking vacation time and I will be gone for

a couple of weeks. I will not be looking at emails during that time. I

will sign back on when I return. I hope everyone has a Happy

Valentine's Day. I know I will now that my child finally received Home

Base funding. Ficker Terrill

Shirley,

Please keep us in the loop of what has to say in this

regard, when there is a stepparent. There may be others of us here

in the same boat but not yet needing or ready to see yet.

Thanks,

Diane S

>

> Good Morning everyone. We have an appointment with Rubin

next

> week and I thought I would ask your adivce. Many of you have done

this

> already and may have a few ideas for us. I want to get a SN Trust,

a

> will and whatever else I may need. My son is 26 with DS (and his

own

> guardian) and I have a son who is 22 who is still at home working

full

> time. Their father passed away and I have been married to their

step

> father for almost 15 years. He has no other children. How would

you

> set up a will and SN trust without any hurt feelings? If something

> happens to me I want to make sure my boys are taken care of. Don't

get

> me wrong my husband loves them but what if he ever got married

again?

> I know will answer any questions we have but I just wanted a

few

> things to think about before we go. Any ideas or advice would be

> great. Thanks, Shirley

>

I sure will Diane. We go on Wed.

Shirley

Diane S <swedegrl@...> wrote:

Shirley,

Please keep us in the loop of what has to say in this

regard, when there is a stepparent. There may be others of us here

in the same boat but not yet needing or ready to see yet.

Thanks,

Diane S

>

> Good Morning everyone. We have an appointment with Rubin

next

> week and I thought I would ask your adivce. Many of you have done

this

> already and may have a few ideas for us. I want to get a SN Trust,

a

> will and whatever else I may need. My son is 26 with DS (and his

own

> guardian) and I have a son who is 22 who is still at home working

full

> time. Their father passed away and I have been married to their

step

> father for almost 15 years. He has no other children. How would

you

> set up a will and SN trust without any hurt feelings? If something

> happens to me I want to make sure my boys are taken care of. Don't

get

> me wrong my husband loves them but what if he ever got married

again?

> I know will answer any questions we have but I just wanted a

few

> things to think about before we go. Any ideas or advice would be

> great. Thanks, Shirley

>

• 1 year later...

HI

So pleased TST is going well.. It is interesting what you day about your sons skin... Tatijana gets the same.. When it happens on her hands the osteopath says that this is a sign of her liver not functioning properly and is the bodies way of removing toxins safely... Very interesting too with the curcumin as this is turmeric and it is both yellow ( the colour corresponding to the liver, and is also a liver detoxer... reminds me that I too need to add more tumeric to Tash's food as she is having a touch time seizure wise at the moment... has the rash on her hands and her jaw is expanding through TST massage.

On the organic toilettries front - many of them are still toxic!! We avoid anything with isopropyl alcohol or proprylene glycol in them- the best we have found is the miessence range an australian range.. and Tash has not reacted to any of them.- The ecover handwash is particulary bad and similar I have never touched the faith in nature range either.

Emotional states can also impact on the skin... anger and frustration go to the liver.. and again Tash has been under intense presure at college this past fortnight and although she never shouts out or outwardly displays anger,,, I now think that she bottles her anger...

Best Wishes

Tracey

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM, M <m.kidson60@...> wrote:

Hi All,I was wondering if any of you could help me with my son who is ASD. He has IgA Nepropathy as well & has just had the flu. He is 12.5 yrs and is very resistant to taking any supplements etc. I was hoping that he would do TST with us (we are having amazing results with my daughter), but, at the moment he is refusing to do it. Anyway, he has developed a red sort of rash round his mouth which goes very dry and the skin flakes off. He has also developed a rash on his hands. We only use organic toiletries including toothpaste. When he was younger he was very sensitive to gluten and he was gluten/wheat and dairy free until he was 6 when he appeared to stop reacting. Has anyone any idea what it might be?

By the way, I have been reading the posts on Enhansa & Lithium with interest. My daughter takes a curcumin supplement and takes 6 x 500mg capsules a day - she is doing very well on it - I originally gave it to her for the antiviral/antibiotic properties as I didn't realise the benefits for autism. I also introduced Minerall capsules recently and I saw another big difference in her within a couple of days - I thought that maybe it was the iodine, but perhaps it was the lithium!

Do we know what is in Enhansa? The curcumin supplement I have has Piperine in it which is supposed to enhance the bioavailability of the curcumin.Thanks.

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply. That's interesting what you say about the liver. Helios

Pharmacy sent me a Berberis Vulg/Chelidonium remedy which is to help liver and

kidney function - I wonder if this is the remedy working? I am going to try see

if he will have the curcumin. I know that he is under stress at school as much

from the ASD as anything as there is so much language that he still doesn't

really understand.

We use Green People toiletries - do you know if they can be a problem?

Aren't the structural changes amazing with TST? My dd's ribs have been moving

all over the place and her body shape has really improved. Her fingers have

always been very puffy, but the tips of each finger now look normal - it does

look funny as the difference is so marked, but it is so positive. One of the

best things is that she has started to put her socks on by herself.

BWs

>

> >

> >

> > Hi All,

> > I was wondering if any of you could help me with my son who is ASD. He has

> > IgA Nepropathy as well & has just had the flu. He is 12.5 yrs and is very

> > resistant to taking any supplements etc. I was hoping that he would do TST

> > with us (we are having amazing results with my daughter), but, at the moment

> > he is refusing to do it. Anyway, he has developed a red sort of rash round

> > his mouth which goes very dry and the skin flakes off. He has also developed

> > a rash on his hands. We only use organic toiletries including toothpaste.

> > When he was younger he was very sensitive to gluten and he was gluten/wheat

> > and dairy free until he was 6 when he appeared to stop reacting. Has anyone

> > any idea what it might be?

> >

> > By the way, I have been reading the posts on Enhansa & Lithium with

> > interest. My daughter takes a curcumin supplement and takes 6 x 500mg

> > capsules a day - she is doing very well on it - I originally gave it to her

> > for the antiviral/antibiotic properties as I didn't realise the benefits for

> > autism. I also introduced Minerall capsules recently and I saw another big

> > difference in her within a couple of days - I thought that maybe it was the

> > iodine, but perhaps it was the lithium!

> >

> > Do we know what is in Enhansa? The curcumin supplement I have has Piperine

> > in it which is supposed to enhance the bioavailability of the curcumin.

> >

> > Thanks.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Dear

It is so wonderful to be part of a living miracle.. Tatijana's puffiness in her arms disappeared from shoulder to elbow and wrist to elbow and she had the same funny shape for a while... she now has such a well toned shape to her as well.

Homeopathics clear gently so the skin rash may be very very good - slow detox.. I always think that if there is no fever and no discomfort then the body knows best!!

A friend with chronic skin rashes on her hands began the therapy and within days all the rash had disappeared from her finger tips too! 

On the front with you son, have you ever thought of playing an alpha beat tape when he is at home?  My thinking is that the cells optimally cycle at this alpha beat of 10 cycles per second.. if his cells hear the rhythm it may help him live at the rhythm which is very relaxed... and helps people connect with the subconscious.. which is very much alive and active in all of us, irrespective of out physical activity.

Burt Goldman and the Silva method - meditation programmes both have the alpha rhythm sound as a stand alone sound track.. if you cannot find it contact me off list and I will see how I can help you.

So much joyful news so close to Christmas!!

Best wishes

Tracey

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM, M <m.kidson60@...> wrote:

Hi ,Thanks for your reply. That's interesting what you say about the liver. Helios Pharmacy sent me a Berberis Vulg/Chelidonium remedy which is to help liver and kidney function - I wonder if this is the remedy working? I am going to try see if he will have the curcumin. I know that he is under stress at school as much from the ASD as anything as there is so much language that he still doesn't really understand.

We use Green People toiletries - do you know if they can be a problem?Aren't the structural changes amazing with TST? My dd's ribs have been moving all over the place and her body shape has really improved. Her fingers have always been very puffy, but the tips of each finger now look normal - it does look funny as the difference is so marked, but it is so positive. One of the best things is that she has started to put her socks on by herself.

BWs > > >> >> > Hi All,> > I was wondering if any of you could help me with my son who is ASD. He has

> > IgA Nepropathy as well & has just had the flu. He is 12.5 yrs and is very> > resistant to taking any supplements etc. I was hoping that he would do TST> > with us (we are having amazing results with my daughter), but, at the moment

> > he is refusing to do it. Anyway, he has developed a red sort of rash round> > his mouth which goes very dry and the skin flakes off. He has also developed> > a rash on his hands. We only use organic toiletries including toothpaste.

> > When he was younger he was very sensitive to gluten and he was gluten/wheat> > and dairy free until he was 6 when he appeared to stop reacting. Has anyone> > any idea what it might be?> >

> > By the way, I have been reading the posts on Enhansa & Lithium with> > interest. My daughter takes a curcumin supplement and takes 6 x 500mg> > capsules a day - she is doing very well on it - I originally gave it to her

> > for the antiviral/antibiotic properties as I didn't realise the benefits for> > autism. I also introduced Minerall capsules recently and I saw another big> > difference in her within a couple of days - I thought that maybe it was the

> > iodine, but perhaps it was the lithium!> >> > Do we know what is in Enhansa? The curcumin supplement I have has Piperine> > in it which is supposed to enhance the bioavailability of the curcumin.

> >> > Thanks.> >> > > >> > > >>

Green people is definately one of the cleaner ranges though we had a problem with the ingredient beginning with a C.. creatic acid?  something like that so have not been back to this product range since.

Tracey

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Tracey Clewer <thelifechangers@...> wrote:

Dear

It is so wonderful to be part of a living miracle.. Tatijana's puffiness in her arms disappeared from shoulder to elbow and wrist to elbow and she had the same funny shape for a while... she now has such a well toned shape to her as well.

Homeopathics clear gently so the skin rash may be very very good - slow detox.. I always think that if there is no fever and no discomfort then the body knows best!!

A friend with chronic skin rashes on her hands began the therapy and within days all the rash had disappeared from her finger tips too! 

On the front with you son, have you ever thought of playing an alpha beat tape when he is at home?  My thinking is that the cells optimally cycle at this alpha beat of 10 cycles per second.. if his cells hear the rhythm it may help him live at the rhythm which is very relaxed... and helps people connect with the subconscious.. which is very much alive and active in all of us, irrespective of out physical activity.

Burt Goldman and the Silva method - meditation programmes both have the alpha rhythm sound as a stand alone sound track.. if you cannot find it contact me off list and I will see how I can help you.

Best wishes

Tracey

Hi ,Thanks for your reply. That's interesting what you say about the liver. Helios Pharmacy sent me a Berberis Vulg/Chelidonium remedy which is to help liver and kidney function - I wonder if this is the remedy working? I am going to try see if he will have the curcumin. I know that he is under stress at school as much from the ASD as anything as there is so much language that he still doesn't really understand.

We use Green People toiletries - do you know if they can be a problem?Aren't the structural changes amazing with TST? My dd's ribs have been moving all over the place and her body shape has really improved. Her fingers have always been very puffy, but the tips of each finger now look normal - it does look funny as the difference is so marked, but it is so positive. One of the best things is that she has started to put her socks on by herself.

BWs > > >> >> > Hi All,> > I was wondering if any of you could help me with my son who is ASD. He has

> > IgA Nepropathy as well & has just had the flu. He is 12.5 yrs and is very> > resistant to taking any supplements etc. I was hoping that he would do TST> > with us (we are having amazing results with my daughter), but, at the moment

> > he is refusing to do it. Anyway, he has developed a red sort of rash round> > his mouth which goes very dry and the skin flakes off. He has also developed> > a rash on his hands. We only use organic toiletries including toothpaste.

> > When he was younger he was very sensitive to gluten and he was gluten/wheat> > and dairy free until he was 6 when he appeared to stop reacting. Has anyone> > any idea what it might be?> >

> > By the way, I have been reading the posts on Enhansa & Lithium with> > interest. My daughter takes a curcumin supplement and takes 6 x 500mg> > capsules a day - she is doing very well on it - I originally gave it to her

> > for the antiviral/antibiotic properties as I didn't realise the benefits for> > autism. I also introduced Minerall capsules recently and I saw another big> > difference in her within a couple of days - I thought that maybe it was the

> > iodine, but perhaps it was the lithium!> >> > Do we know what is in Enhansa? The curcumin supplement I have has Piperine> > in it which is supposed to enhance the bioavailability of the curcumin.

Hi Tracey,

I was really interested in your reply.. so sorry to butt in, but wanted to know more about the alpha beats, and if you can buy a CD with the beats on. The reason I am asking is that I think it may help with my dd typing. We have been using a metronome for a little while, but you need to work out how to set it to her internal rhythm...something I am not too good at. So a CD with the beats already on, may help.

Cheers

x

Re: Re: Advice please

Dear

On the front with you son, have you ever thought of playing an alpha beat tape when he is at home? My thinking is that the cells optimally cycle at this alpha beat of 10 cycles per second.. if his cells hear the rhythm it may help him live at the rhythm which is very relaxed... and helps people connect with the subconscious.. which is very much alive and active in all of us, irrespective of out physical activity.

Best wishes

Tracey

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM, M <m.kidson60btinternet> wrote:

Hi ,Thanks for your reply. That's interesting what you say about the liver. Helios Pharmacy sent me a Berberis Vulg/Chelidonium remedy which is to help liver and kidney function - I wonder if this is the remedy working? I am going to try see if he will have the curcumin. I know that he is under stress at school as much from the ASD as anything as there is so much language that he still doesn't really understand.We use Green People toiletries - do you know if they can be a problem?Aren't the structural changes amazing with TST? My dd's ribs have been moving all over the place and her body shape has really improved. Her fingers have always been very puffy, but the tips of each finger now look normal - it does look funny as the difference is so marked, but it is so positive. One of the best things is that she has started to put her socks on by herself.BWs > > >> >> > Hi All,> > I was wondering if any of you could help me with my son who is ASD. He has> > IgA Nepropathy as well & has just had the flu. He is 12.5 yrs and is very> > resistant to taking any supplements etc. I was hoping that he would do TST> > with us (we are having amazing results with my daughter), but, at the moment> > he is refusing to do it. Anyway, he has developed a red sort of rash round> > his mouth which goes very dry and the skin flakes off. He has also developed> > a rash on his hands. We only use organic toiletries including toothpaste.> > When he was younger he was very sensitive to gluten and he was gluten/wheat> > and dairy free until he was 6 when he appeared to stop reacting. Has anyone> > any idea what it might be?> >> > By the way, I have been reading the posts on Enhansa & Lithium with> > interest. My daughter takes a curcumin supplement and takes 6 x 500mg> > capsules a day - she is doing very well on it - I originally gave it to her> > for the antiviral/antibiotic properties as I didn't realise the benefits for> > autism. I also introduced Minerall capsules recently and I saw another big> > difference in her within a couple of days - I thought that maybe it was the> > iodine, but perhaps it was the lithium!> >> > Do we know what is in Enhansa? The curcumin supplement I have has Piperine> > in it which is supposed to enhance the bioavailability of the curcumin.> >> > Thanks.> >> > > >> > > >>

Hi

The alpha rhythm is 10 beats per second which corresponds to the perfect beat at which our cells take in nutrition and excrete waste.. We are in an environment where things are at 50 cycles per second... from EMF etc and this unsettles the natural rhythm of the body.  The Silva program and the Goldman programmes each contain a CD with the alpha sound on it.. So I have my separate CD- I will contact someone I know who is linked with both of these people and see if it may be possible to produce the pure alpha sound as a stand alone product... It could then be played at home as a background sound to support the household in maintaining the alpha frequency

This is a intuitive Thunk I thought today... I will be playing it on repeat on my CD player over the next few days and will report back.

Best Wishes

Tracey

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM, sandra barrett <sandrabarrett@...> wrote:

Hi Tracey,

I was really interested in your reply.. so sorry to butt in, but wanted to know more about the alpha beats, and if you can buy a CD with the beats on.  The reason I am asking is that I think it may help with my dd typing.  We have been using a metronome for a little while, but you need to work out how to set it to her internal rhythm...something I am not too good at.  So a CD with the beats already on, may help.

Cheers

x

Re: Re: Advice please

Dear

Best wishes

Tracey

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

, Personally I would not be overly concerned about the scanner incident you are obviously the best chiropractor in the area and stuff like that can happen to any of us, but I would look to you following your gut more. Sounds like the patient's concern over finances dictated your treatment of him. You should call and check in with him and see where he is at and what they did to or for him in the ER. Review your exam findings, did you take films, if not why not if so what did they show? What was parq I don't use that term that you said? Elliott MantellSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Charlie Caughlin <caughlindrc@...>Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 18:16:47 +0000< >Subject: Advice Please Hi Docs I know this is long but bare with me.Here in rural Oregon we estimate that between 70 to 80% of the households have a scanner and monitor police/fire/ems radio traffic 24/7 so we are carefull what info we put over the radio sensitive inf is done by phone. Because I am the Asst. fire chief for Canyon City reserve officer for the city of Day and reserve deputy for the county I am required to have a scanner which I keep in my personal office.Okay last wes. I get a new pt with a chief complaint of back spasms. When he arrived it was obvious he was in pain and when he moved just right he would give out a LOUD aarrgg. He stated it was sore last week but got real bad that morning, it happened 2 yrs ago and he saw a DC and it cleared up but thought this episode was worse. I could hardly touch him without getting a scream. My dx was left mid thoracic muscle spasm with rib and thoracic subluxation/fixation. I did a parq including possible referral to MD or ER. He said no he only had enough money to pay me so I tx'd with heat/ice ems and cmt. Stood him up he felt s little better then moved screamed and spasms were back. I told him I would get him an appt with MD again he brought up finances. I explained it was MD , health dept or ER he choose health dept and I made him an appt with the nurse practitioner. I didn't even charge him!Well about 15 min later ambulance gets dispatched to a man with severe back spasms (ears perck up). So I am sitting there and the emt comes on the radio and says" we have a 43y/o male with severe back spasms and said that he went to the chiropractor this morning we have administered ??? mg of Valium and he is resting comfortably and we will be at your facility in 3 min". No mention of the correct history just makes it sound like the chiropractor screwed him up. Now keep in mind I am the ONLY chiropractor for 70 miles so that was the only thing people in scanner land heard.I called the ambulance administrator (who is a pt of mine) expressed my concerns and he did not seem to concerned about it and that he would "look into it". I called the dispatch center and they do not record transmission between hospital and ambulance.The more I thought about it the more pissed I got... so its been a few days and still bothers me. So should I let it go or pursue it? It would be difficult to prove loss of income due to it, so I think defamation is out. Thanks in advance for your input!Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave Day, Or. 97845 office 541-575-1063 fax 541-575-5554 The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy.

Guest guest

Hello Dr. Charlie:

Let it go.

Even if most people heard this on their scanner, they have either forgotten about it by now or just really don't care.

If it isn't on fire, exploding, or riddled with various caliber

gunshots, most folks don't pay attention. You can thank TV crime dramas

for that.

It seems you are really giving back to the community in a positive way,

as we all should. Don't let them see you get pissy, because that's all

they'll remember of you.

I was on the FD in Dundee (helped get EMS started here and earned my

EMT certificate), on city council, and had the honor of being mayor for

five terms.. I really had to hold my tongue often when derogatory

remarks were made either about me or my profession.

We do what we do, and we are proud to do it.

Neil R. Cohen, D.C.

Dundee Chiropractic Advice Please

Hi Docs I know this is long but bare with me.Here in rural Oregon we estimate that between 70 to 80% of the households have a scanner and monitor police/fire/ems radio traffic 24/7 so we are carefull what info we put over the radio sensitive inf is done by phone. Because I am the Asst. fire chief for Canyon City reserve officer for the city of Day and reserve deputy for the county I am required to have a scanner which I keep in my personal office.Okay last wes. I get a new pt with a chief complaint of back spasms. When he arrived it was obvious he was in pain and when he moved just right he would give out a LOUD aarrgg. He stated it was sore last week but got real bad that morning, it happened 2 yrs ago and he saw a DC and it cleared up but thought this episode was worse. I could hardly touch him without getting a scream. My dx was left mid thoracic muscle spasm with rib and thoracic subluxation/fixation. I did a parq including possible referral to MD or ER. He said no he only had enough money to pay me so I tx'd with heat/ice ems and cmt. Stood him up he felt s little better then moved screamed and spasms were back. I told him I would get him an appt with MD again he brought up finances. I explained it was MD , health dept or ER he choose health dept and I made him an appt with the nurse practitioner. I didn't even charge him!Well about 15 min later ambulance gets dispatched to a man with severe back spasms (ears perck up). So I am sitting there and the emt comes on the radio and says" we have a 43y/o male with severe back spasms and said that he went to the chiropractor this morning we have administered ??? mg of Valium and he is resting comfortably and we will be at your facility in 3 min". No mention of the correct history just makes it sound like the chiropractor screwed him up. Now keep in mind I am the ONLY chiropractor for 70 miles so that was the only thing people in scanner land heard.I called the ambulance administrator (who is a pt of mine) expressed my concerns and he did not seem to concerned about it and that he would "look into it". I called the dispatch center and they do not record transmission between hospital and ambulance.The more I thought about it the more pissed I got... so its been a few days and still bothers me. So should I let it go or pursue it? It would be difficult to prove loss of income due to it, so I think defamation is out. Thanks in advance for your input!Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave Day, Or. 97845 office 541-575-1063 fax 541-575-5554 The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy.

Guest guest

I also agree with Dr. Neil if you argue about it you will only being putting salt on the wound. ElliottSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: commongroundchiropractic@...Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 03:18:34 +0000Charlie Caughlin<caughlindrc@...>; < >Subject: Re: Advice Please, Personally I would not be overly concerned about the scanner incident you are obviously the best chiropractor in the area and stuff like that can happen to any of us, but I would look to you following your gut more. Sounds like the patient's concern over finances dictated your treatment of him. You should call and check in with him and see where he is at and what they did to or for him in the ER. Review your exam findings, did you take films, if not why not if so what did they show? What was parq I don't use that term that you said? Elliott MantellSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Charlie Caughlin <caughlindrc@...>Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 18:16:47 +0000< >Subject: Advice Please Hi Docs I know this is long but bare with me.Here in rural Oregon we estimate that between 70 to 80% of the households have a scanner and monitor police/fire/ems radio traffic 24/7 so we are carefull what info we put over the radio sensitive inf is done by phone. Because I am the Asst. fire chief for Canyon City reserve officer for the city of Day and reserve deputy for the county I am required to have a scanner which I keep in my personal office.Okay last wes. I get a new pt with a chief complaint of back spasms. When he arrived it was obvious he was in pain and when he moved just right he would give out a LOUD aarrgg. He stated it was sore last week but got real bad that morning, it happened 2 yrs ago and he saw a DC and it cleared up but thought this episode was worse. I could hardly touch him without getting a scream. My dx was left mid thoracic muscle spasm with rib and thoracic subluxation/fixation. I did a parq including possible referral to MD or ER. He said no he only had enough money to pay me so I tx'd with heat/ice ems and cmt. Stood him up he felt s little better then moved screamed and spasms were back. I told him I would get him an appt with MD again he brought up finances. I explained it was MD , health dept or ER he choose health dept and I made him an appt with the nurse practitioner. I didn't even charge him!Well about 15 min later ambulance gets dispatched to a man with severe back spasms (ears perck up). So I am sitting there and the emt comes on the radio and says" we have a 43y/o male with severe back spasms and said that he went to the chiropractor this morning we have administered ??? mg of Valium and he is resting comfortably and we will be at your facility in 3 min". No mention of the correct history just makes it sound like the chiropractor screwed him up. Now keep in mind I am the ONLY chiropractor for 70 miles so that was the only thing people in scanner land heard.I called the ambulance administrator (who is a pt of mine) expressed my concerns and he did not seem to concerned about it and that he would "look into it". I called the dispatch center and they do not record transmission between hospital and ambulance.The more I thought about it the more pissed I got... so its been a few days and still bothers me. So should I let it go or pursue it? It would be difficult to prove loss of income due to it, so I think defamation is out. Thanks in advance for your input!Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave Day, Or. 97845 office 541-575-1063 fax 541-575-5554 The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy.

Guest guest

As tough as it may be sometimes, it always seems better to walk the high road.

Sunny

Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com

From: caughlindrc@...Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 18:16:47 +0000Subject: Advice Please

Hi Docs I know this is long but bare with me.

Here in rural Oregon we estimate that between 70 to 80% of the households have a scanner and monitor police/fire/ems radio traffic 24/7 so we are carefull what info we put over the radio sensitive inf is done by phone.

Because I am the Asst. fire chief for Canyon City reserve officer for the city of Day and reserve deputy for the county I am required to have a scanner which I keep in my personal office.

Okay last wes. I get a new pt with a chief complaint of back spasms. When he arrived it was obvious he was in pain and when he moved just right he would give out a LOUD aarrgg. He stated it was sore last week but got real bad that morning, it happened 2 yrs ago and he saw a DC and it cleared up but thought this episode was worse. I could hardly touch him without getting a scream. My dx was left mid thoracic muscle spasm with rib and thoracic subluxation/fixation. I did a parq including possible referral to MD or ER. He said no he only had enough money to pay me so I tx'd with heat/ice ems and cmt. Stood him up he felt s little better then moved screamed and spasms were back. I told him I would get him an appt with MD again he brought up finances. I explained it was MD , health dept or ER he choose health dept and I made him an appt with the nurse practitioner. I didn't even charge him!

Well about 15 min later ambulance gets dispatched to a man with severe back spasms (ears perck up). So I am sitting there and the emt comes on the radio and says" we have a 43y/o male with severe back spasms and said that he went to the chiropractor this morning we have administered ??? mg of Valium and he is resting comfortably and we will be at your facility in 3 min". No mention of the correct history just makes it sound like the chiropractor screwed him up. Now keep in mind I am the ONLY chiropractor for 70 miles so that was the only thing people in scanner land heard.

I called the ambulance administrator (who is a pt of mine) expressed my concerns and he did not seem to concerned about it and that he would "look into it". I called the dispatch center and they do not record transmission between hospital and ambulance.

The more I thought about it the more pissed I got... so its been a few days and still bothers me. So should I let it go or pursue it? It would be difficult to prove loss of income due to it, so I think defamation is out. Thanks in advance for your input!

Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave Day, Or. 97845 office 541-575-1063 fax 541-575-5554

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy.

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. See how.

Guest guest

The history is correct that the patient saw a Chiropractor - perhaps it was that lack of relief that mandated further emergent care ? Would we be scoffing that the patient was a fool for seeing an MD and not a DC if we heard the reverse over the radio? Sounds like it could be interpreted as respectful and not any thing disrepectful - the high road is calling the patient and seeing how they are doing.s. fuchs dcSent from my iPhoneOn May 16, 2010, at 8:53 PM, "Sunny Kierstyn" <skrndc1@...> wrote: As tough as it may be sometimes, it always seems better to walk the high road. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com From: caughlindrchotmailDate: Sun, 16 May 2010 18:16:47 +0000Subject: Advice Please Hi Docs I know this is long but bare with me.Here in rural Oregon we estimate that between 70 to 80% of the households have a scanner and monitor police/fire/ems radio traffic 24/7 so we are carefull what info we put over the radio sensitive inf is done by phone. Because I am the Asst. fire chief for Canyon City reserve officer for the city of Day and reserve deputy for the county I am required to have a scanner which I keep in my personal office.Okay last wes. I get a new pt with a chief complaint of back spasms. When he arrived it was obvious he was in pain and when he moved just right he would give out a LOUD aarrgg. He stated it was sore last week but got real bad that morning, it happened 2 yrs ago and he saw a DC and it cleared up but thought this episode was worse. I could hardly touch him without getting a scream. My dx was left mid thoracic muscle spasm with rib and thoracic subluxation/fixation. I did a parq including possible referral to MD or ER. He said no he only had enough money to pay me so I tx'd with heat/ice ems and cmt. Stood him up he felt s little better then moved screamed and spasms were back. I told him I would get him an appt with MD again he brought up finances. I explained it was MD , health dept or ER he choose health dept and I made him an appt with the nurse practitioner. I didn't even charge him!Well about 15 min later ambulance gets dispatched to a man with severe back spasms (ears perck up). So I am sitting there and the emt comes on the radio and says" we have a 43y/o male with severe back spasms and said that he went to the chiropractor this morning we have administered ??? mg of Valium and he is resting comfortably and we will be at your facility in 3 min". No mention of the correct history just makes it sound like the chiropractor screwed him up. Now keep in mind I am the ONLY chiropractor for 70 miles so that was the only thing people in scanner land heard.I called the ambulance administrator (who is a pt of mine) expressed my concerns and he did not seem to concerned about it and that he would "look into it". I called the dispatch center and they do not record transmission between hospital and ambulance.The more I thought about it the more pissed I got... so its been a few days and still bothers me. So should I let it go or pursue it? It would be difficult to prove loss of income due to it, so I think defamation is out. Thanks in advance for your input!Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave Day, Or. 97845 office 541-575-1063 fax 541-575-5554The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. See how.

Guest guest

Charlie,

To echo Neil’s wise advice, Abe Lincoln was asked about being mistreated in a dishonest editorial in the newspaper and what was he going to do about it.

He said it initially made him want to take retribution (and he was an editorializing ass kicker in his youth!) but then thought:

“Half the public doesn’t read that paper, half that do didn’t see the article; half that read it weren’t changed by at as they already had an opinion about him. Of the 3-4 remaining people, he would do better to win their hearts and minds with positive efforts.” -I made part of that up.

We will always be cited as causing all sorts of problems; often by people who’s sorry asses are saved by a chiropractor in the future when it’s too late for them to take it back.

That’s why WE have to be the high road, long view, big pants people.

E. Abrahamson, D.C.

Chiropractic physician

Lake Oswego Chiropractic Clinic

315 Second Street

Lake Oswego, OR 97034

503-635-6246

On 5/16/10 8:19 PM, " neroco2@... " <neroco2@...> wrote:

Hello Dr. Charlie:

Let it go.

Even if most people heard this on their scanner, they have either forgotten about it by now or just really don't care.

If it isn't on fire, exploding, or riddled with various caliber gunshots, most folks don't pay attention. You can thank TV crime dramas for that.

It seems you are really giving back to the community in a positive way, as we all should. Don't let them see you get pissy, because that's all they'll remember of you.

I was on the FD in Dundee (helped get EMS started here and earned my EMT certificate), on city council, and had the honor of being mayor for five terms.. I really had to hold my tongue often when derogatory remarks were made either about me or my profession.

We do what we do, and we are proud to do it.

Neil R. Cohen, D.C.

Dundee Chiropractic

Advice Please

Hi Docs I know this is long but bare with me.

Here in rural Oregon we estimate that between 70 to 80% of the households have a scanner and monitor police/fire/ems radio traffic 24/7 so we are carefull what info we put over the radio sensitive inf is done by phone.

Because I am the Asst. fire chief for Canyon City reserve officer for the city of Day and reserve deputy for the county I am required to have a scanner which I keep in my personal office.

Okay last wes. I get a new pt with a chief complaint of back spasms. When he arrived it was obvious he was in pain and when he moved just right he would give out a LOUD aarrgg. He stated it was sore last week but got real bad that morning, it happened 2 yrs ago and he saw a DC and it cleared up but thought this episode was worse. I could hardly touch him without getting a scream. My dx was left mid thoracic muscle spasm with rib and thoracic subluxation/fixation. I did a parq including possible referral to MD or ER. He said no he only had enough money to pay me so I tx'd with heat/ice ems and cmt. Stood him up he felt s little better then moved screamed and spasms were back. I told him I would get him an appt with MD again he brought up finances. I explained it was MD , health dept or ER he choose health dept and I made him an appt with the nurse practitioner. I didn't even charge him!

Well about 15 min later ambulance gets dispatched to a man with severe back spasms (ears perck up). So I am sitting there and the emt comes on the radio and says " we have a 43y/o male with severe back spasms and said that he went to the chiropractor this morning we have administered ??? mg of Valium and he is resting comfortably and we will be at your facility in 3 min " . No mention of the correct history just makes it sound like the chiropractor screwed him up. Now keep in mind I am the ONLY chiropractor for 70 miles so that was the only thing people in scanner land heard.

I called the ambulance administrator (who is a pt of mine) expressed my concerns and he did not seem to concerned about it and that he would " look into it " . I called the dispatch center and they do not record transmission between hospital and ambulance.

The more I thought about it the more pissed I got... so its been a few days and still bothers me. So should I let it go or pursue it? It would be difficult to prove loss of income due to it, so I think defamation is out. Thanks in advance for your input!

Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC

155 NW 1st Ave

Day, Or. 97845

office 541-575-1063

fax 541-575-5554

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. <http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar & amp;ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5>

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

Hi Lesa,

The problems you are seeing are related to two issues (1) poor emotional

regulation ad (2) rigid/inflexible thinking that renders little changes/snages

in expectations to set off overwhelming stress alert. Meltdowns occur when the

stress chemicals reach at stage of boiling point. The child becomes overwhelmed

and losing all coping skills. It sets off a " fight or flight response " in the

form of a meltdown. During the actual meltdown, verbal reasoning usually

doesn't work. The child is past that stage. That is why it is better to catch

the stress before it hits overwhelment. Usually the best thing to do during

meltdowns, is too stay supportive, temporarily withdraw demands, and give the

child time and space to rebound. Reasoning and brainstorming what the child

could do next time is better once the child calms down.

I gives presentation on emotional regulation with individuals with

autism/asperger's. I am willing to send you my powerpoint presentation if you

would like to receive it. It gives a variety of strategies for dealing with

melt downs and teach emotional regulation skills. If you would like the power

point please email me at:

billnason@...

Bill

>

> My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when things

don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain things or reason

with him are totally useless.

>

> My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also for people

who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to calm down during a

meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or anything that I should NOT do or

say?

>

> I would love any advice you can share.

>

> Thank You - Lesa, a very frustrated mom

>

Guest guest

When my son was that age he also had severe meltdowns, for the same reasons you stated. All we could do was to let him go to his room and be by himself for a short time, then I would go in and hug him tight. I would also talk softly to him, told him I loved him, didn't talk at all about the meltdown or what had happened to cause it. Sometimes, my talking would upset him more so I would stop talking and just hold him. He would usually fall asleep, I think because of the stress of the meltdown.

Now that he is older we can sense the meltdown coming and can usually get him on track before the meltdown occurs. For instance, if plans change and he's not given enough time to adjust, he starts getting worked up, so if we notice that, we can be explaining the change, why it's occurring, what will happen because of the change, etc. This seems to help him to adjust and we don't see as many meltdowns as we used to and they are no where near as severe. I think as he gets older, he is more able to handle changes, as long as they're not too big and if we are giving him reasons for the changes. He just has to know every detail about what's happening.

One of the hardest things for me was to be able to keep calm during the meltdown. As he is breaking things, or putting a hole in the wall or whatever, it's natural to feel angry but you can't show that. I had to learn how to remain very calm, no matter what he did. Very difficult but worth the effort!

Good luck!

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- advice please

My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when things don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain things or reason with him are totally useless. My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also for people who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to calm down during a meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or anything that I should NOT do or say? I would love any advice you can share.Thank You - Lesa, a very frustrated mom

Guest guest

I have been there done that.

There are several books on the topic, one called No more Meltdowns, that I've

used a bit.

If your child is super explosive, there is a book called " The Explosive Child "

that might point out some possible physical or other psychological causes.

Recently we put my son on a small dose of antidepressant, Celexa, and Intuniv

for the explosiveness/meltdowns. Have seen an improvement. He is also on

Vyvanase, which I think helps him focus more on the big picture and not so much

on the little things that would normally set him off. His rages were so big

until recently, and I didn't realize all along that he has some depression,

which manifested as irritability and raging. We tried Abilify too, but I didn't

really see a great improvement, if anything it made him more difficult.

Using firm guidelines and what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior in

response to disappointments and the like has helped. I try to set him up for

success, and not allow him to walk into potential volatile situations for him if

at all possible... for instance I accidently allowed him to participate in a boy

scout activity that had I known more about it , would have not had him do

it...it was a physical fitness test for a badge (they didn't explain it before

the boys were called into the gym to start the teats) and he failed miserably

the pullups or something like that, which just was too much for him and BOY did

that send him over the edge! It was incredibly embarrassing (I admit it) for

the amount of rage was incredible and I couldn't get him to leave the gym with

me. Never again will I allow people to set things up for him to participate in

without getting the full picture of what is going happen. I also tell him how I

expect him to behave even if he suffers a disappointment , and that things may

not go as planned, and this is what he should do if he is feeling upset etc...

And as I have a bit of a temper too (particularly if I am over tired or " that

time of the month " , I really really have to work on NOT engaging in any

escalating temper behavior of my own, keeping very very calm when he is freaking

out (even if it is freaking me out inside), and also watch that I am not being

manipulated into getting into a verbal combat with him.

My sister's blog has a LOT about explosiveness in her kids that she is dealing

with www.stackjourney.blogspot.com and even though she doesn't have a child

on the spectrum, I think the things they've tried are worth looking at. Her two

(of four) kids have varying degrees of mental illness and self regulation issues

and explosions had been very very predominant in their home.

Hope you find some answers and hang in there!

Please note: message attached

Autism and Aspergers Treatment

Subject: advice please

Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:19:23 -0000

Cheap Car Insurance

Insurance deal passed mean YOU could legally pay $1/day

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4c281b5959bfb9d29fst02duc

My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when things don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain things or reason with him are totally useless.

My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also for people who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to calm down during a meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or anything that I should NOT do or say?

I would love any advice you can share.

Thank You - Lesa, a very frustrated mom

Guest guest

I need to know from anyone who might know is a child with aspergers capable of forcible sexual interactions is this true Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: " Clement" <ddclement@...>Sender: Autism and Aspergers Treatment Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 03:46:27 GMT<Autism and Aspergers Treatment >Reply Autism and Aspergers Treatment Subject: Re: advice please I have been there done that.There are several books on the topic, one called No more Meltdowns, that I've used a bit.If your child is super explosive, there is a book called " The Explosive Child " that might point out some possible physical or other psychological causes.Recently we put my son on a small dose of antidepressant, Celexa, and Intuniv for the explosiveness/meltdowns. Have seen an improvement. He is also on Vyvanase, which I think helps him focus more on the big picture and not so much on the little things that would normally set him off. His rages were so big until recently, and I didn't realize all along that he has some depression, which manifested as irritability and raging. We tried Abilify too, but I didn't really see a great improvement, if anything it made him more difficult.Using firm guidelines and what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior in response to disappointments and the like has helped. I try to set him up for success, and not allow him to walk into potential volatile situations for him if at all possible... for instance I accidently allowed him to participate in a boy scout activity that had I known more about it , would have not had him do it...it was a physical fitness test for a badge (they didn't explain it before the boys were called into the gym to start the teats) and he failed miserably the pullups or something like that, which just was too much for him and BOY did that send him over the edge! It was incredibly embarrassing (I admit it) for the amount of rage was incredible and I couldn't get him to leave the gym with me. Never again will I allow people to set things up for him to participate in without getting the full picture of what is going happen. I also tell him how I expect him to behave even if he suffers a disappointment , and that things may not go as planned, and this is what he should do if he is feeling upset etc...And as I have a bit of a temper too (particularly if I am over tired or " that time of the month " , I really really have to work on NOT engaging in any escalating temper behavior of my own, keeping very very calm when he is freaking out (even if it is freaking me out inside), and also watch that I am not being manipulated into getting into a verbal combat with him. My sister's blog has a LOT about explosiveness in her kids that she is dealing with www.stackjourney.blogspot.com and even though she doesn't have a child on the spectrum, I think the things they've tried are worth looking at. Her two (of four) kids have varying degrees of mental illness and self regulation issues and explosions had been very very predominant in their home.Hope you find some answers and hang in there! Please note: message attachedFrom: " leazmozhi " <lezamozhi@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Subject: advice pleaseDate: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:19:23 -0000__________________________________________________________Cheap Car InsuranceInsurance deal passed mean YOU could legally pay $1/dayhttp://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4c281b5959bfb9d29fst02duc

Guest guest

I too try to head off these meltdowns before they start. I try to anticipate

the things he might not expect and verbally prepare him for them. I remind him

several times during the day if we have to do something different that night or

the next morning. When he is melting down, I keep telling him " it's ok " and

stay as calm as possible. Usually it happens in the morning and we tend to be

late for activities.

>

> My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when things

don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain things or reason

with him are totally useless.

>

> My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also for people

who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to calm down during a

meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or anything that I should NOT do or

say?

>

>

>

Guest guest

My 7 yo son has meltdowns like this, where explaining what's going on has no meaning to him. All he knows is plans have changed and that's upsetting.All we can do is take him away from the situation. Give him time away from everyone staring so he can do his thing.When we've been out with a group, and had no way to leave, there have been times we've missed entire meals while we sat outside. We just came back from an extended family vacation where even though my family loves and supports him, I think they're glad to be home and have some peace and quiet.I make it sound like I'm so calm and collected. I'm not. Many times I've had to fight back the tears and yes, anger. My oldest daughter asked me how I can stay so calm during his meltdowns, so I'm getting there.Good

luck!Kathy

Date: 27/06/2010 5:06:52 PM

Autism and Aspergers Treatment

Subject: advice please

My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when things don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain things or reason with him are totally useless. My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also for people who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to calm down during a meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or anything that I should NOT do or say? I would love any advice you can share.Thank You - Lesa, a very frustrated mom

Guest guest

Oh wow you bring back memories of when my son Marty used to throw

things and break walls, etc. I was going to say " fond " memories. That

whole period was tough on me and him too. A lot of times he'd get so

worked up he'd put himself into a seizure. I used to be so scared his

heart would give out because he had been bounding around the house in

his hysterical spree and then have a seizure I didn't think his heart

could take it, but really I think over the years it just made it very

strong, he developed the heart of an athlete.

He didn't calm down till about age 25 and he's 45now. He is very calm

now and never gets mad like that anymore, guess things in his brain had

to develop or something. Of course we do not expect him to change gears

quickly like school used to inflict upon him, do this do that and do it

NOW. All is very calm for him at home all day long. If he gets sick and

has to go to the hospital he knows the routine and just submits to it.

We did do something different yesterday. We took him out of the house

and into my old van instead of the wheelchair van, had not had him in it

for 6 months since my husband had his heart surgery because he was not

supposed to lift or anything. We walked him down the wheelchair ramp

which he also hasn't done in all this time and walked right past the new

wheelchair van to the old van. We had to take his brother back home, a

long drive in the mountains so he sad beside him and he did look pretty

scared a time or two so we just talked softly to him reassuring like you

said. He really does need to get out more.

We usually take him to church on Sun. evening and he sees people there

and many greet him and I think that is good for him but we missed last

night because my oldest son has been having problems and I have had to

take him to ER twice this week. His diabetes was out of control and he

was real thirsty and peeing every five minutes and having terrible

anxiety attacks. I had to drive 35 miles to get him because he is sick

and his car was broke down. What an ordeal, first night they hydrated

him with an IV and gave him Ativan, yesterday prescribed ten more

Ativan, and he has to get a doctor this week and get in and get his

blood sugar evaluated, get meds, test strips, etc.

He was an alcoholic for many years but has not drank since Nov. since it

was about to kill him. I tell you motherhood does not just apply to our

disabled kids does it, some who should be " normal " have worse problems.

Oh well just life. Wanted to comment on the " calming down " technique. I

have been doing that with seizures for awhile also, figured out angry

voices, even on TV were causing Marty to have seizures, so when he jerks

just a little bit we turn the TV down or whatever, and I go to him and

pat him on the chest and talk softly and tell him it is alright, it is

alright, and the seizure just stops.

Amazing!

I would say the calmer the mother the calmer the child, I have used this

all my life with my four kids and sometimes I get pretty worn out

because it does take a lot if inner strength to do this, but I do go to

church and go to God to get that, in fact went forward for prayer just

yesterday and my pastor prayed for me it felt like a heavy weight came

off my chest! I just had a root canal last week and it felt just like

when they put that led weight on your chest when they go to take an

x-ray and it is real heavy and you can't wait to get it off you.

Well it felt like that.....when he prayed I felt it lift! I think I

carry to much for others, need to let some of they carry more of their

own burdens, it is just my caring nature I guess. Like right now I am

thinking about calling my son up at Oakridge and asking him whether he

called the doctor yet for an appointment. Sigh. I gave him my glucose

tester and it only had about 25 strips and he needs to get in THIS WEEK

and get a prescription for his own.

Onward!

Carolyn OR ;o)

& Godfrey wrote:

>

> When my son was that age he also had severe meltdowns, for the same

> reasons you stated. All we could do was to let him go to his room and

> be by himself for a short time, then I would go in and hug him tight.

> I would also talk softly to him, told him I loved him, didn't talk at

> all about the meltdown or what had happened to cause it. Sometimes, my

> talking would upset him more so I would stop talking and just hold

> him. He would usually fall asleep, I think because of the stress of

> the meltdown.

> Now that he is older we can sense the meltdown coming and can usually

> get him on track before the meltdown occurs. For instance, if plans

> change and he's not given enough time to adjust, he starts getting

> worked up, so if we notice that, we can be explaining the change, why

> it's occurring, what will happen because of the change, etc. This

> seems to help him to adjust and we don't see as many meltdowns as we

> used to and they are no where near as severe. I think as he gets

> older, he is more able to handle changes, as long as they're not too

> big and if we are giving him reasons for the changes. He just has to

> know every detail about what's happening.

> One of the hardest things for me was to be able to keep calm during

> the meltdown. As he is breaking things, or putting a hole in the wall

> or whatever, it's natural to feel angry but you can't show that. I had

> to learn how to remain very calm, no matter what he did. Very

> difficult but worth the effort!

> Good luck!

>

> Estevan, SK

> Canada

> /--*/ advice please

>

> My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when

> things don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain

> things or reason with him are totally useless.

>

> My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also

> for people who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to

> calm down during a meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or

> anything that I should NOT do or say?

>

>

>

>

>

> FREE Animations for your email - by IncrediMail! Click Here!

> <http://www.incredimail.com/?id=606431 & rui=126482880>

>

>

Guest guest

Kids with aspergers are capable of anything kids are capable of. 

Whether they are culpable in the same way is another question.  The

difficulty of reading social cues can lead to misunderstanding in

any social situation, and that does not exclude sexual interaction.

On 28/06/2010 11:31 PM, angelsue7725@... wrote:

I need to know from anyone who might know is a child with

aspergers capable of forcible sexual interactions is this

true

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Guest guest

Yes, trying to hold off meltdowns is better then dealing with them once they

occur. For most children with Asperger's, changes in routine, unexpected turn

of events, or any uncertainty can lead to overload. They strive for

predictability and control. They are fearful in the face of uncertainty. I

often have great success with a procedure I call " clarify, verify, preview and

review " to help prepare for all upcoming activity.

1. Clarify: Do not assume that the child " knows " . Clarify what is coming up

and what is expected of the child in concrete, literal terms.

2. Verify: Don't assume they understood you. Ask them to verify they

understand. You be surprised how often they misinterpret what you explain.

3. Preview: Preview all new situations ahead of time. Talk about what is going

to happen, how long it will last, what is expected of him, and what will occur

next. Prepare the child by giving them as much information as possible.

4. Review: Review the information just before entering the situation so it is

fresh in the child's mind. In addition, you might want to add what the child

should do if he starts to feel overwhelmed. Discuss proactive strategies to

keep the child calm, and how to escape the situation if it becomes overwhelming.

This seems like a lot to remember, but the more you use it the more natural it

becomes to prepare the child for events in his day. As the child gets older he

can also learn to use these techniques on his own as self empowerment skills.

Wives! These techniques often work well with husbands as well...lol. We often

have difficulty with unexpected changes and unprepared expectations.

Bill

> >

> > My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when

things don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain things or

reason with him are totally useless.

> >

> > My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also for

people who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to calm down during

a meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or anything that I should NOT do

or say?

> >

> > I would love any advice you can share.

> >

> > Thank You - Lesa, a very frustrated mom

> >

>

Guest guest

Thank you, Bill, again , for the excellent parent and partner advice. I often wonder if I am speaking to my fiance as if he was an autism child, and underestimating him. lol But he seems to thrive on it. .. for me, I miss the long conversations we had in the beginning instead of short, choppy, to the point ones. But actually, in speaking to our family counselor about this-- we've both got work. He's got a pre-Alzheimer's mother to tend. And I've got Fawn. And it's as if I was Kate, is it, with 8 children; we do best coordinating, organizing, and sharing what each needs to know in short conversations. . . And of course, praise, praise, praise. Here's another behavioral therapy-based trick I think I'd share with all women new in relationships. When you have something difficult to share, you have to get their attention away on other things and focused on this, start with a joke and then a compliment. .. esp if you have to bury it in voicemail. They'll learn to like to listen to their voicemail, looking for the joke and praise to help get thru the day!

Nina

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 01:12 +0000, " Bill Nason " <nasonbill@...> wrote:

Yes, trying to hold off meltdowns is better then dealing with them once they occur. For most children with Asperger's, changes in routine, unexpected turn of events, or any uncertainty can lead to overload. They strive for predictability and control. They are fearful in the face of uncertainty. I often have great success with a procedure I call " clarify, verify, preview and review " to help prepare for all upcoming activity.

1. Clarify: Do not assume that the child " knows " . Clarify what is coming up and what is expected of the child in concrete, literal terms.

2. Verify: Don't assume they understood you. Ask them to verify they understand. You be surprised how often they misinterpret what you explain.

3. Preview: Preview all new situations ahead of time. Talk about what is going to happen, how long it will last, what is expected of him, and what will occur next. Prepare the child by giving them as much information as possible.

4. Review: Review the information just before entering the situation so it is fresh in the child's mind. In addition, you might want to add what the child should do if he starts to feel overwhelmed. Discuss proactive strategies to keep the child calm, and how to escape the situation if it becomes overwhelming.

This seems like a lot to remember, but the more you use it the more natural it becomes to prepare the child for events in his day. As the child gets older he can also learn to use these techniques on his own as self empowerment skills.

Wives! These techniques often work well with husbands as well...lol. We often have difficulty with unexpected changes and unprepared expectations.

Bill

> >

> > My 8 year old son has Aspergers and is prone to severe melt downs when things don't happen the way he planned or expected. Trying to explain things or reason with him are totally useless.

> >

> > My question is for both parents of children with Aspergers and also for people who have it. How do you get your child, or yourself, to calm down during a meltdown? Is there anything I can do or say, or anything that I should NOT do or say?

> >

> > I would love any advice you can share.

> >

> > Thank You - Lesa, a very frustrated mom

> >

>

--

Nina Forest

autismlearning@...