RemedySpot.com

shingles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm also in my mid 60s. Had a bout of shingles many years ago. Did the acyclovir

to get rid of it and then was fine. I had another bout last year and again

acyclovir got rid of it. No need to continue medication. My levels have been

consistenly abouve 500. However (this may be unrelated), since the shingles I

have become marginally detectable. We are going to monitor that but not do

anything else.

Matt

>

> i  am 67 had hiv  for 23 years always undetectable 500 plus t cells  but  now

> have  shingles around waist. i was  wondering will this hurt my t cell  count

> and and what  i  should  do  for this, i am  on  acylovir  for  shingles and

> lortab and  ibubropen  .  anyone  who  can  give  me  advice  would  be  so

> thankfull

>

Guest guest

I'm also in my mid 60s. Had a bout of shingles many years ago. Did the acyclovir

to get rid of it and then was fine. I had another bout last year and again

acyclovir got rid of it. No need to continue medication. My levels have been

consistenly abouve 500. However (this may be unrelated), since the shingles I

have become marginally detectable. We are going to monitor that but not do

anything else.

Matt

>

> thankfull

>

Guest guest

I probably should have phrased my email in a better way.This is my opinion. It is not based on study results.

If you do not have high CD4 cells and also have multidrug resistance, avoiding herpes flare ups decreases immune activation that may lead to loss of immune function and even treatment failure.  There are also reports that acyclovir actually increases intracellular levels of nucleosides and it may have an antiviral effect on HIV.

In my 10 years working and counseling salvage patients, one of the biggest improvements in viral load and stabilization of CD4 cells has been possible by the addition of daily acyclovir to their HAART.  This observation may not apply to those with healthier immune systems and lack of multidrug resistant HIV.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM, matt <dcvt05074@...> wrote:

I'm also in my mid 60s. Had a bout of shingles many years ago. Did the acyclovir to get rid of it and then was fine. I had another bout last year and again acyclovir got rid of it. No need to continue medication. My levels have been consistenly abouve 500. However (this may be unrelated), since the shingles I have become marginally detectable. We are going to monitor that but not do anything else.

Matt

>

> thankfull

>

------------------------------------

Guest guest

I probably should have phrased my email in a better way.This is my opinion. It is not based on study results.

If you do not have high CD4 cells and also have multidrug resistance, avoiding herpes flare ups decreases immune activation that may lead to loss of immune function and even treatment failure.  There are also reports that acyclovir actually increases intracellular levels of nucleosides and it may have an antiviral effect on HIV.

In my 10 years working and counseling salvage patients, one of the biggest improvements in viral load and stabilization of CD4 cells has been possible by the addition of daily acyclovir to their HAART.  This observation may not apply to those with healthier immune systems and lack of multidrug resistant HIV.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM, matt <dcvt05074@...> wrote:

I'm also in my mid 60s. Had a bout of shingles many years ago. Did the acyclovir to get rid of it and then was fine. I had another bout last year and again acyclovir got rid of it. No need to continue medication. My levels have been consistenly abouve 500. However (this may be unrelated), since the shingles I have become marginally detectable. We are going to monitor that but not do anything else.

Matt

>

> thankfull

>

------------------------------------

Guest guest

I am 37 years old and had shingles twice in the last three years and my last bout was absolutely horrible. I suffered from the pain for months after the rash was gone. They finally gave me Nortriptyline for the pain.

I asked about the vaccine because there was no way I wanted to go through that again. I was told by Kaiser that they will not give the vaccine to anyone who is HIV positive regardless of your t cell count or viral load.

From: SF <richard2sf@...> Sent: Monday, March 5, 2012 7:40 AMSubject: Re: shingles

I'm wondering what is the current community standard for shingles vaccine in long tern HIV survivors?Has anyone gotten it?~>> Try to stay on acyclovir for life. I truly believe herpes virus is a big cofactor in the progression of this disease.> > Just keep the area dry and wear lose clothing that does not rub against the shingles. The acyclovir plus ibuprofen should be good enough. > > > shingles> > i am 67 had hiv for 23 years always undetectable 500 plus t cells but now > have shingles around waist. i was wondering will this hurt my t cell count > and and what i should do for this, i am on acylovir for shingles and > lortab and ibubropen . anyone who can give me advice would be so

> thankfull>

Guest guest

When I asked my Dr about the shingles vaccine, he explained it is a live

vaccine, unlike a flu vaccine, and shold not be given to anyone with a

compromised immune system.

> >

> > Try to stay on acyclovir for life. I truly believe herpes virus is a big

cofactor in the progression of this disease.

> >

> > Just keep the area dry and wear lose clothing that does not rub against the

shingles. The acyclovir plus ibuprofen should be good enough.

> >

> >

> > shingles

> >

> > i  am 67 had hiv  for 23 years always undetectable 500 plus t cells  but 

now

> > have  shingles around waist. i was  wondering will this hurt my t cell 

count

> > and and what  i  should  do  for this, i am  on  acylovir  for  shingles and

> > lortab and  ibubropen  .  anyone  who  can  give  me  advice  would  be  so

> > thankfull

> >

>

Guest guest

I had shingles around 15 years ago and to be hospitalized and treated with IV Acyclovir. I have Kaiser Mid-Atlantic and my physician authorized the shingles vaccine. My CD4 count was around 450 and that was considered high enough to warrant getting the vaccine.

Here in Virginia you can walk into a pharmacy and get the vaccine without a doctor's authorization. Not sure what they charge, but I think that it is pretty reasonable (under $40?).

In a message dated 3/5/2012 5:50:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, davisht1995@... writes:

I am 37 years old and had shingles twice in the last three years and my last bout was absolutely horrible. I suffered from the pain for months after the rash was gone. They finally gave me Nortriptyline for the pain.

I asked about the vaccine because there was no way I wanted to go through that again. I was told by Kaiser that they will not give the vaccine to anyone who is HIV positive regardless of your t cell count or viral load.

Guest guest

Many pharmicies offer shingles vaccine as they do for the flu. It is not as

simple as walking in, getting in a cafeteria line and choosing what youwant.

There are forms to be filled out regarding your current and medical history and

releases. Then the nurse practioner makes a judgement based upon the information

you have given.They work within very strick regulated parameters. I believe

there is no nurse practioner who is willing to risk their license on injecting a

live vsccine into someone with HIV. They will refer you to see a private

physician.

>

> I had shingles around 15 years ago and to be hospitalized and treated with

> IV Acyclovir. I have Kaiser Mid-Atlantic and my physician authorized the

> shingles vaccine. My CD4 count was around 450 and that was considered high

> enough to warrant getting the vaccine.

>

> Here in Virginia you can walk into a pharmacy and get the vaccine without a

> doctor's authorization. Not sure what they charge, but I think that it is

> pretty reasonable (under $40?).

>

>

> In a message dated 3/5/2012 5:50:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

> davisht1995@... writes:

>

> I am 37 years old and had shingles twice in the last three years and my

> last bout was absolutely horrible. I suffered from the pain for months after

> the rash was gone. They finally gave me Nortriptyline for the pain.

>

> I asked about the vaccine because there was no way I wanted to go through

> that again. I was told by Kaiser that they will not give the vaccine to

> anyone who is HIV positive regardless of your t cell count or viral load.

>

Guest guest

: I don't know what part of the country you live in, but I think you got bad information concerning Kaiser's policy on the shingles vaccination. I am in Colorado, and my HIV doc authorized my shingles vaccination last July ("Zostervirus live, shingles"). My CD4 count has been pretty high for several years, so that was his reasoning, I think. But for someone to tell you that they won't give the vaccination to any HIV positive person, that's just wrong and it may even be discriminatory. I would pursue this issue with Kaiser.Jay in Denver

Guest guest

If you do experience lingering post-herpetic pain as described, there is a capsaicin patch  called Qutenza that you apply once and can offer a month's worth of relief from the pain.  It has to be applied in the dr's office, and isn't cheap, but should be covered by most insurances.  It' s not 100% pain relief but makes it tolerable for most people, and can be a better alternative to some of the opiates that will leave you feeling doped up....

JeffRe: shingles

Posted by: " "  davisht1995@...   davisht1995

Mon Mar 5, 2012 2:50 pm (PST)

I am 37 years old and had shingles twice in the last three years and my last bout was absolutely horrible. I suffered from the pain for months after the rash was gone. They finally gave me Nortriptyline for the pain. 

I asked about the vaccine because there was no way I wanted to go through that again. I was told by Kaiser that they will not give the vaccine to anyone who is HIV positive regardless of your t cell count or viral load.

Guest guest

I am going to check today with the local Giant Supermarket pharmacy to find out the procedures and the costs. I have gotten flu shots there (covered fully by Medicare) and did have to fill out a one-page form. I was given a computer printout detailing what vaccine I had received and the pharmacy also faxed that information directly to my primary care physician. However, I received the zoster live vaccine at Kaiser and don't know for sure the procedures or costs at local pharmacies. The cafeteria only has two items on the menu at present -- flu vaccine and zoster vaccine.

In a message dated 3/6/2012 12:05:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ect9148@... writes:

Many pharmicies offer shingles vaccine as they do for the flu. It is not as simple as walking in, getting in a cafeteria line and choosing what you want. There are forms to be filled out regarding your current and medical history and releases. Then the nurse practioner makes a judgement based upon the information you have given.They work within very strick regulated parameters. I believe there is no nurse practioner who is willing to risk their license on injecting a live vsccine into someone with HIV. They will refer you to see a private physician.

Guest guest

This was my HIV doc's reply to my primary doc's question, as well. He was most

emphatic about it, too. He said, " Hell NO! " . . .

Of course, on later discussion, he added that if my counts were better, then

there might be more wiggle room. But, since I'm 66 and my t's are under 300,

although my viral load hovers around undetectable, the answer was clear.

Jon

On Mar 5, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Chicago48 wrote:

> When I asked my Dr about the shingles vaccine, he explained it is a live

>

>

>>>

>>> Try to stay on acyclovir for life. I truly believe herpes virus is a big

>>>

>>> Just keep the area dry and wear lose clothing that does not rub against the

>>>

>>>

>>> shingles

>>>

>>> i am 67 had hiv for 23 years always undetectable 500 plus t cells but

now

>>> have shingles around waist. i was wondering will this hurt my t cell

count

>>> and and what i should do for this, i am on acylovir for shingles and

>>> lortab and ibubropen . anyone who can give me advice would be so

>>> thankfull

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

Guest guest

This was my HIV doc's reply to my primary doc's question, as well. He was most

emphatic about it, too. He said, " Hell NO! " . . .

Of course, on later discussion, he added that if my counts were better, then

there might be more wiggle room. But, since I'm 66 and my t's are under 300,

although my viral load hovers around undetectable, the answer was clear.

Jon

> When I asked my Dr about the shingles vaccine, he explained it is a live

>

>

>>>

>>> Try to stay on acyclovir for life. I truly believe herpes virus is a big

>>>

>>> Just keep the area dry and wear lose clothing that does not rub against the

>>>

>>>

>>> shingles

>>>

>>> i am 67 had hiv for 23 years always undetectable 500 plus t cells but

now

>>> have shingles around waist. i was wondering will this hurt my t cell

count

>>> thankfull

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

A study just presented at CROI (abstract 96) reported both good safety and immune response in about 400 HIV positive people with CD4 higher than 200 vs placebo.This should be webcast by tmw.SimonOn 6 Mar 2012, at 11:23, Jon Markle <serenitylodge@...> wrote:

This was my HIV doc's reply to my primary doc's question, as well. He was most emphatic about it, too. He said, "Hell NO!" . . .

Of course, on later discussion, he added that if my counts were better, then there might be more wiggle room. But, since I'm 66 and my t's are under 300, although my viral load hovers around undetectable, the answer was clear.

Jon

> When I asked my Dr about the shingles vaccine, he explained it is a live vaccine, unlike a flu vaccine, and shold not be given to anyone with a compromised immune system.

>

>

>>>

>>> Try to stay on acyclovir for life. I truly believe herpes virus is a big cofactor in the progression of this disease.

>>>

>>> Just keep the area dry and wear lose clothing that does not rub against the shingles. The acyclovir plus ibuprofen should be good enough.

>>>

>>>

>>> shingles

>>>

>>> i am 67 had hiv for 23 years always undetectable 500 plus t cells but now

>>> have shingles around waist. i was wondering will this hurt my t cell count

>>> thankfull

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

, I had shingles on my face about five years ago right before I went on meds and my CD4 was low. I stopped taking acyclovir once the herpes zoster had cleared up. Should I be asking my doc about going back on acyclovir as part of my regular drug regimen? -

Guest guest

Thanks for sharing, ...

I have never heard of shingles on the face...

Would you please share a description of, what

it looks like...???

Or can anyone direct me to a photo on the

Internet of shingles on the face...???

From: <ejockey@...> Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:57 PMSubject: Re: shingles

, I had shingles on my face about five years ago right before I went on meds and my CD4 was low. I stopped taking acyclovir once the herpes zoster had cleared up. Should I be asking my doc about going back on acyclovir as part of my regular drug regimen? -

Guest guest

One of my friends at support group had them around his face and in his ear, he said it hurt so bad. I had them from my spine, down my sciatic nerve and under my foot. That was so painful. It just kept jolting pain down the nerve. It was right after this that I was tested for HIV. The doctor put me on acyclovir, and some pain medication. I've been on acyclovir, then valtrex, and now valcyclovir, all of these years.

Re: shingles

Guest guest

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM, 310541w <george310541@...> wrote:

it looks like...???

Internet of shingles on the face...???Ugh. My first case of shingles started in the right ear and spread to the cheeks. It pretty much looks like shingles anywhere else on the body:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch & hl=en & source=hp & biw=1147 & bih=570 & q=shingles+face & gbv=2 & oq=shingles & aq=3 & aqi=g10 & aql= & gs_sm=1 & gs_upl=2079l3477l0l6361l8l8l0l1l1l0l104l657l4.3l7l0 & gs_l=img.1.3.0l10.2079l3477l0l6362l8l8l0l1l1l0l104l657l4j3l7l0

If the link doesn't work, it's simply a search for " shingles " and " face " in Google Images.One of the dangers of facial shingles is that Bell's Palsy can result. My doctor treated it aggressively to avoid this outcome.

Regards,Nick -- Nick , LSW

6631 Clemens Ave., Apt. 1EUniversity City, MO 63130

thenick58@...

http://nicknicholas.net

Guest guest

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM, 310541w <george310541@...> wrote:

it looks like...???

Internet of shingles on the face...???Ugh. My first case of shingles started in the right ear and spread to the cheeks. It pretty much looks like shingles anywhere else on the body:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch & hl=en & source=hp & biw=1147 & bih=570 & q=shingles+face & gbv=2 & oq=shingles & aq=3 & aqi=g10 & aql= & gs_sm=1 & gs_upl=2079l3477l0l6361l8l8l0l1l1l0l104l657l4.3l7l0 & gs_l=img.1.3.0l10.2079l3477l0l6362l8l8l0l1l1l0l104l657l4j3l7l0

If the link doesn't work, it's simply a search for " shingles " and " face " in Google Images.One of the dangers of facial shingles is that Bell's Palsy can result. My doctor treated it aggressively to avoid this outcome.

Regards,Nick -- Nick , LSW

6631 Clemens Ave., Apt. 1EUniversity City, MO 63130

thenick58@...

http://nicknicholas.net

Guest guest

I think I may have spelled it wrong. Online it's showing as Valacyclovir...the generic for Valtrex. I think it might be a little stronger than acyclovir, but basically they're all the same drug. I remember that there was a time over the past couple of years that I couldn't get the gram strength anymore, and now I have to take two pills per day to equal that dosage.

Guest guest

I think I may have spelled it wrong. Online it's showing as Valacyclovir...the generic for Valtrex. I think it might be a little stronger than acyclovir, but basically they're all the same drug. I remember that there was a time over the past couple of years that I couldn't get the gram strength anymore, and now I have to take two pills per day to equal that dosage.

Guest guest

When I had shingles 20 years ago it looked like I had severe radiation damage to the left side of my face. It caused permanent disfiguration of my left eyelid.

Here are some images from Google.

In a message dated 3/8/2012 11:00:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, thenick58@... writes:

it looks like...???

Guest guest

When I had shingles 20 years ago it looked like I had severe radiation damage to the left side of my face. It caused permanent disfiguration of my left eyelid.

Here are some images from Google.

In a message dated 3/8/2012 11:00:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, thenick58@... writes:

it looks like...???

Guest guest

My husband is HIV Poz and going thru chemo for NHL and just got shingles about a

week ago on his pelvis, penis and backside. Poor guy. He's on Valtrex and

antibiotics as part of his chemo regimen. It's itchy and giving him some

soreness now but we're obviously hoping it clears up soon.

Sent from my iPhone

Guest guest

My husband is HIV Poz and going thru chemo for NHL and just got shingles about a

week ago on his pelvis, penis and backside. Poor guy. He's on Valtrex and

antibiotics as part of his chemo regimen. It's itchy and giving him some

soreness now but we're obviously hoping it clears up soon.

Sent from my iPhone