RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re: FW: What to Avoid on a Fibromyalgia Diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Dominie, I agree with you that there must be a viral connection alright, especially for those of us with CFS. I use to believe that FM could only develop after CFS (as an add-on) but now realize that doesn't seem to be true for many people.

I believe that our bodies are in toxic-overload. The world in general has become a great deal more toxic in the past few years. Most of the things mentioned in that diet article have an adverse affect on me. Sometimes I think we have to pick and choose for ourselves what we are willing to change (or give up) in order to feel a little better. Eg - If I die first thing in the morning they will have to pry that necessary morning coffee from my cold hand. lol

ine

> dominie > From: dombush@...> Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:02:47 +0000> Subject: Re: FW: What to Avoid on a Fibromyalgia Diet> > I really appreciate this list, and it may be helpful for some > fibromites. Many of these suggestion are in my 100 Tips for Coping > with Fibromyalgia at http://www.fms-help.com/tips.htm - but I have > mixed feelings about a dietary list, mainly because I have heard from > fibromites for years now who have been very strict with their diets - > even vegetarians - and they still have fibro. Ugh! I am not sure that > fibro is a diet-related illness, although some fibromites have food > allergies, but then so does the general population. > > My feeling after 25 years of FMS/CFIDS/ME is that it is caused by > something viral attacking the brain, and sufferers also have a > genetic predisposition for this illness (which researchers are still > trying to find). Usually people report heavy stress of some kind > just before the onset of their fibro (my story is at http://www.fms-> help.com/fibro.htm However, fibro is not just caused by stress, > because that would mean that everyone under exteme stress (military, > living in war zones, etc.) would have fibro and they don't. > > Have you noticed that "healthy" people can eat anything they like? - > usually. They also withstand the onslaughts of the same "bugs" that > go through our communities, and remain unscathed. My husband and I > were even talking yesterday about people like Burns who can > smoke cigars and live to be 100! If I smoked a cigar, it would > probably kill me from free radical damage....ha. I think some people > just have the genes for long life. Then there are people who develop > lung cancer who never smoked, such as Reeves' wonderful > wife, Dana. Life just isn't fair sometimes. > > It seems that once our immune system starts malfunctioning (due to > stress, mono, EBV or whatever cause), the body can't seem to find > homeostasis again. I have had to take an immune balancing powder > since 2001. It is not the complete answer, but has helped me for > things like sleep, which - even though I take a sleep med - becomes > more erratic without the immune powder. > > This whole illness is such a mystery! Hopefully one day researchers > will find a cure for this that helps EVERYONE! Seems we all have > found small things that help alleviate certain aspects of our > symptoms, but there is no ONE CURE that helps all fibromites....at > least not yet. Meanwhile, we can tweak our diets and see if that > helps. For me, I try to avoid aspartame, sugar and caffeine.> > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > What to Avoid on a Fibromyalgia Diet> > Some doctors initially put fibromyalgia down to stress, and believe > that simply relaxing and eating right can make you feel better. Is > the diagnosis really so simple? Is there really a fibromyalgia diet > to help you feel better and get over fibromyalgia symptoms quickly?> Fibromyalgia is a debilitating syndrome characterized by muscular and > skeletal pain, as well as other sometimes, severe symptoms. It can > be difficult to manage and doctors have found even harder to > diagnose. There have been a number of suggestions as to the cause of > fibromyalgia including toxins, injury or trauma, viral infections and > changes in muscle metabolism, but there are no conclusive results.So, > is there a particular diet that you can follow to bring relief from > fibromyaglia symptoms?Studies have shown that by maintaining a > healthy weight for your height and build and eating a diet consisting > of low fat foods and lots of fresh produce can help to increase > energy, which in turn helps to keep the fatigue that goes hand in > hand with Fibromyalgia at bay.So, rather than there being just one > recognized diet that is suitable for all fibromyalgia sufferers, it > is more about making a life change and adopting a different way of > looking at food and choosing only the most healthful options that add > nutrients to your body.However, to give you an idea of where to start > there are some widely recognized foods and beverages that if avoided, > can help provide some relief from not only the physical symptoms but > also the `brain fog' that is a problem for many sufferers. > Unfortunately, these first four:- Chocolate- Carbonated beverages- > Coffee- Alcoholare usually part and parcel of everyone's diet so it > may take some willpower to give them up! Start by cutting down and > eventually weaning yourself off them if a clean break is too much all > at once. Other common food triggers that can exacerbate fibromyalgia > symptoms include:High fat dairy foodsRefined sugar and artificial > sweetenersWhite flourFried foodsFood containing preservatives and > additivesFast foodSaltRed meat (especially cured or smoked)> Caffeinated drinksHighly acidic foodsNightshade plants (tomatoes, > eggplant, peppers and potatoes) In terms of what you can eat to ease > symptoms it really is a case of going back to basics and eating > freshly prepared meals full of nutritious ingredients. It will take > more time to prepare and when you're feeling below par the thought of > cooking can be pretty exhausting but the benefits to your body can be > significant compared to eating prepackaged foods stuffed full of > preservatives, colorings, sugar and salt. When choosing what to > include in your diet its important to understand how food effects > your body. This is why it's important to select foods that are highly > nutritious and provide a boost to your immune system. Having > fibromyalgia can give you `flu-like symptoms so getting an additional > ailment on top of having fibromyalgia can really knock a sufferer > badly. Keeping your immune system strong will help prevent this from > happening. Although the list presented above is by no means > comprehensive, it should give you an idea of what foods should not be > on your diet if you are suffering from fibromyalgia.Keeping a food > diary and a note about how you felt each day can really help you to > determine which are trigger foods for you. It will soon become > obvious if certain foods or drinks bring on symptoms and these can > then be eliminated from your diet.If you want to follow a > fibromyalgia diet ensure you discuss any changes with a nutritionist > or medical professional > first.http://eliminatefibromyalgia.com/blog/2007/12/13/what-to-avoid-> on-a-fibromyalgia-diet-2/ > > _________________________________________________________________> > Use fowl language with Chicktionary. Click here to start playing!> > http://puzzles.sympatico.msn.ca/chicktionary/index.html?icid=htmlsig> >> > > > > >

Guest guest

i think maybe the point is more that people with fibro can do better and feel better if they live ahealthy lifestyle... and unfortunately since there is such pain and fatigue we have a tendency to not cook the healthy meals and get a bit of excercise (i'm talking a short walk, not a marathon)... since co-existing conditions can be related to foods (migraines, IBS, heartburn, etc) i think watching diet would be a good idea... but more in terms of how migraine sufferers look for triggers.. besides if you start comparing diets of IBS, fibro and other conditions you find you're not suppose to eat anything, lol... hopefully we can all try and still take care of the those little things to keep us healthy rather then let fibro take yet another thing out of our lives. blessed be lizDominie Bush <dombush@...> wrote: I really appreciate this list, and it may be helpful for some fibromites. Many of these suggestion are in my 100 Tips for Coping with Fibromyalgia at http://www.fms-help.com/tips.htm - but I have mixed feelings about a dietary list, mainly because I have heard from fibromites for years now who have been very strict with their diets - even vegetarians - and they still have fibro. Ugh! I am not sure that fibro is a diet-related illness, although some fibromites have food allergies, but then so does the

general population. My feeling after 25 years of FMS/CFIDS/ME is that it is caused by something viral attacking the brain, and sufferers also have a genetic predisposition for this illness (which researchers are still trying to find). Usually people report heavy stress of some kind just before the onset of their fibro (my story is at http://www.fms-help.com/fibro.htm However, fibro is not just caused by stress, because that would mean that everyone under exteme stress (military, living in war zones, etc.) would have fibro and they don't. Have you noticed that "healthy" people can eat anything they like? - usually. They also withstand the onslaughts of the same "bugs" that go through our communities, and remain unscathed. My husband and I were even talking yesterday about people like Burns who can smoke cigars and live to be 100! If I smoked a cigar, it would probably

kill me from free radical damage....ha. I think some people just have the genes for long life. Then there are people who develop lung cancer who never smoked, such as Reeves' wonderful wife, Dana. Life just isn't fair sometimes. It seems that once our immune system starts malfunctioning (due to stress, mono, EBV or whatever cause), the body can't seem to find homeostasis again. I have had to take an immune balancing powder since 2001. It is not the complete answer, but has helped me for things like sleep, which - even though I take a sleep med - becomes more erratic without the immune powder. This whole illness is such a mystery! Hopefully one day researchers will find a cure for this that helps EVERYONE! Seems we all have found small things that help alleviate certain aspects of our symptoms, but there is no ONE CURE that helps all fibromites....at least not yet. Meanwhile, we can tweak our

diets and see if that helps. For me, I try to avoid aspartame, sugar and caffeine.>> > > > > > > What to Avoid on a Fibromyalgia Diet> Some doctors initially put fibromyalgia down to stress, and believe that simply relaxing and eating right can make you feel better. Is the diagnosis really so simple? Is there really a fibromyalgia diet to help you feel better and get over fibromyalgia symptoms quickly?Fibromyalgia is a debilitating syndrome characterized by muscular and skeletal pain, as well as other sometimes, severe symptoms. It can be difficult to manage and doctors have found even harder to diagnose. There have been a number of suggestions as to the cause of fibromyalgia including toxins, injury or trauma, viral infections and changes

in muscle metabolism, but there are no conclusive results.So, is there a particular diet that you can follow to bring relief from fibromyaglia symptoms?Studies have shown that by maintaining a healthy weight for your height and build and eating a diet consisting of low fat foods and lots of fresh produce can help to increase energy, which in turn helps to keep the fatigue that goes hand in hand with Fibromyalgia at bay.So, rather than there being just one recognized diet that is suitable for all fibromyalgia sufferers, it is more about making a life change and adopting a different way of looking at food and choosing only the most healthful options that add nutrients to your body.However, to give you an idea of where to start there are some widely recognized foods and beverages that if avoided, can help provide some relief from not only the physical symptoms but also the `brain fog' that is a problem for many sufferers.

Unfortunately, these first four:- Chocolate- Carbonated beverages- Coffee- Alcoholare usually part and parcel of everyone's diet so it may take some willpower to give them up! Start by cutting down and eventually weaning yourself off them if a clean break is too much all at once. Other common food triggers that can exacerbate fibromyalgia symptoms include:High fat dairy foodsRefined sugar and artificial sweetenersWhite flourFried foodsFood containing preservatives and additivesFast foodSaltRed meat (especially cured or smoked)Caffeinated drinksHighly acidic foodsNightshade plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and potatoes) In terms of what you can eat to ease symptoms it really is a case of going back to basics and eating freshly prepared meals full of nutritious ingredients. It will take more time to prepare and when you're feeling below par the thought of cooking can be pretty exhausting but the benefits to your body

can be significant compared to eating prepackaged foods stuffed full of preservatives, colorings, sugar and salt. When choosing what to include in your diet its important to understand how food effects your body. This is why it's important to select foods that are highly nutritious and provide a boost to your immune system. Having fibromyalgia can give you `flu-like symptoms so getting an additional ailment on top of having fibromyalgia can really knock a sufferer badly. Keeping your immune system strong will help prevent this from happening. Although the list presented above is by no means comprehensive, it should give you an idea of what foods should not be on your diet if you are suffering from fibromyalgia.Keeping a food diary and a note about how you felt each day can really help you to determine which are trigger foods for you. It will soon become obvious if certain foods or drinks bring on symptoms and

these can then be eliminated from your diet.If you want to follow a fibromyalgia diet ensure you discuss any changes with a nutritionist or medical professional first.http://eliminatefibromyalgia.com/blog/2007/12/13/what-to-avoid-on-a-fibromyalgia-diet-2/ > __________________________________________________________> Use fowl language with Chicktionary. Click here to start playing!> http://puzzles.sympatico.msn.ca/chicktionary/index.html?icid=htmlsig>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

I agree with you LIz. I work full time and by the time I get home, cereal is all I can manage. Now I have switched from Cap'n Crunch to Special K (LOL). I have been trying to exercise each day. It kills me to start (I ride a stationary bike) but I think in the long run it really has been helping my legs. Even if I can only manage 10 minutes it's 10 minutes more than nothing. Gamble <eagamble@...> wrote: i think maybe the point is more that people with fibro can do better and feel better if they live ahealthy lifestyle... and unfortunately since there is such pain and fatigue we have a tendency to not cook the healthy meals and get a bit of excercise (i'm talking a short walk, not a marathon)... since co-existing conditions can be related to foods (migraines, IBS, heartburn, etc) i think watching diet would be a good idea... but more in terms of how migraine sufferers look for triggers.. besides if you start comparing diets of IBS, fibro and other conditions you find you're not suppose to eat anything, lol... hopefully we can all try and still take care of the those little things to keep us healthy rather then let fibro take yet another thing out of our lives. blessed be liz

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

The two things that concern me a lot are microwaves and plastic containers.

I remember a time when we didn't have a microwave in our house. I guess I was about 11 and boy you only used it when it was absolutely needed.

Now we use our microwave for at 50% of what gets heated/reheated in our house.

We use a dishwasher and no matter what we do our plastic cups & containers reek of dish detergent. When I heat up leftovers, I can taste it. That has to be bad for us too!

Rae Ann

Re: FW: What to Avoid on a Fibromyalgia Diet

>

> I really appreciate this list, and it may be helpful for some

> fibromites. Many of these suggestion are in my 100 Tips for Coping

> with Fibromyalgia at http://www.fms-help.com/tips.htm - but I have

> mixed feelings about a dietary list, mainly because I have heard from

> fibromites for years now who have been very strict with their diets -

> even vegetarians - and they still have fibro. Ugh! I am not sure that

> fibro is a diet-related illness, although some fibromites have food

> allergies, but then so does the general population.

>

> My feeling after 25 years of FMS/CFIDS/ME is that it is caused by

> something viral attacking the brain, and sufferers also have a

> genetic predisposition for this illness (which researchers are still

> trying to find). Usually people report heavy stress of some kind

> just before the onset of their fibro (my story is at http://www.fms-

> help.com/fibro.htm However, fibro is not just caused by stress,

> because that would mean that everyone under exteme stress (military,

> living in war zones, etc.) would have fibro and they don't.

>

> Have you noticed that "healthy" people can eat anything they like? -

> usually. They also withstand the onslaughts of the same "bugs" that

> go through our communities, and remain unscathed. My husband and I

> were even talking yesterday about people like Burns who can

> smoke cigars and live to be 100! If I smoked a cigar, it would

> probably kill me from free radical damage....ha. I think some people

> just have the genes for long life. Then there are people who develop

> lung cancer who never smoked, such as Reeves' wonder ful

> wife, Dana. Life just isn't fair sometimes.

>

> It seems that once our immune system starts malfunctioning (due to

> stress, mono, EBV or whatever cause), the body can't seem to find

> homeostasis again. I have had to take an immune balancing powder

> since 2001. It is not the complete answer, but has helped me for

> things like sleep, which - even though I take a sleep med - becomes

> more erratic without the immune powder.

>

> This whole illness is such a mystery! Hopefully one day researchers

> will find a cure for this that helps EVERYONE! Seems we all have

> found small things that help alleviate certain aspects of our

> symptoms, but there is no ONE CURE that helps all fibromites....at

> least not yet. Meanwhile, we can tweak our diets and see if that

> helps. For me, I try to avoid aspartame, sugar and caffeine.

>

>

>

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > What to Avoid on a Fibromyalgia Diet

> > Some doctors initially put fibromyalgia down to stress, and believe

> that simply relaxing and eating right can make you feel better. Is

> the diagnosis really so simple? Is there really a fibromyalgia diet

> to help you feel better and get over fibromyalgia symptoms quickly?

> Fibromyalgia is a debilitating syndrome characterized by muscular and

> skeletal pain, as well as other sometimes, severe symptoms. It can

> be difficult to manage and doctors have found even harder to

> diagnose. There have been a number of suggestions as to the cause of

> fibromyalgia including toxins, injury or trauma, viral infections and

> changes in muscle metabolism, but there are no conclusive results.So,

> is there a particular diet that you can follow to bring re lief from

> fibromyaglia symptoms?Studies have shown that by maintaining a

> healthy weight for your height and build and eating a diet consisting

> of low fat foods and lots of fresh produce can help to increase

> energy, which in turn helps to keep the fatigue that goes hand in

> hand with Fibromyalgia at bay.So, rather than there being just one

> recognized diet that is suitable for all fibromyalgia sufferers, it

> is more about making a life change and adopting a different way of

> looking at food and choosing only the most healthful options that add

> nutrients to your body.However, to give you an idea of where to start

> there are some widely recognized foods and beverages that if avoided,

> can help provide some relief from not only the physical symptoms but

> also the `brain fog' that is a problem for many sufferers.

> Unfortunately, these first four:- Chocolate- Carbonated beverages-

> Coffee- Alcoholare usually part and parcel of everyone's diet so it

> may take some willpower to give them up! Start by cutting down and

> eventually weaning yourself off them if a clean break is too much all

> at once. Other common food triggers that can exacerbate fibromyalgia

> symptoms include:High fat dairy foodsRefined sugar and artificial

> sweetenersWhite flourFried foodsFood containing preservatives and

> additivesFast foodSaltRed meat (especially cured or smoked)

> Caffeinated drinksHighly acidic foodsNightshade plants (tomatoes,

> eggplant, peppers and potatoes) In terms of what you can eat to ease

> symptoms it really is a case of going back to basics and eating

> freshly prepared meals full of nutritious ingredients. It will take

> more time to prepare and when you're feeling below par the thought of

> cooking can be pretty exhausting but the benefits to your body can be

> significant compared to eating prepackaged foods stu ffed full of

> preservatives, colorings, sugar and salt. When choosing what to

> include in your diet its important to understand how food effects

> your body. This is why it's important to select foods that are highly

> nutritious and provide a boost to your immune system. Having

> fibromyalgia can give you `flu-like symptoms so getting an additional

> ailment on top of having fibromyalgia can really knock a sufferer

> badly. Keeping your immune system strong will help prevent this from

> happening. Although the list presented above is by no means

> comprehensive, it should give you an idea of what foods should not be

> on your diet if you are suffering from fibromyalgia.Keeping a food

> diary and a note about how you felt each day can really help you to

> determine which are trigger foods for you. It will soon become

> obvious if certain foods or drinks bring on symptoms and these can

> then be eliminated from your diet.If you want to follow a

> fibromyalgia diet ensure you discuss any changes with a nutritionist

> or medical professional

> first.http://eliminatefibromyalgia.com/blog/2007/12/13/what-to-avoid-

> on-a-fibromyalgia-diet-2/

> > _________________________________________________________________

> > Use fowl language with Chicktionary. Click here to start playing!

> > http://puzzles.sympatico.msn.ca/chicktionary/index.html?icid=htmlsig

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

i was suggest by an occuptional therapist for fibro to literally start an excercise program at 2 minutes (or something else small like that) and oh so slowly increase (like up to 5 weeks after a week) in AZ <oriana_az@...> wrote: I agree with you LIz. I work full time and by the time I get home, cereal is all I can manage. Now I have switched from Cap'n Crunch to Special K (LOL). I have been trying to exercise each day. It kills me to start (I ride a stationary bike) but I think in

the long run it really has been helping my legs. Even if I can only manage 10 minutes it's 10 minutes more than nothing. Gamble <eagamble > wrote: i think maybe the point is more that people with fibro can do better and feel better if they live ahealthy lifestyle... and unfortunately since there is such pain and fatigue we have a tendency to not cook the healthy meals and get a bit of excercise (i'm talking a short walk, not a marathon)... since co-existing conditions can be related to foods (migraines, IBS, heartburn, etc) i think watching diet would be a good idea... but more in terms of how migraine sufferers look for triggers.. besides if you start comparing diets of IBS, fibro and other conditions you find you're not suppose to eat anything, lol... hopefully we can all try and still

take care of the those little things to keep us healthy rather then let fibro take yet another thing out of our lives. blessed be liz Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.