Guest guest

Hi Jane,

A moldy workplace is not good at all. It's fortunate that your immune

system is fine - otherwise, immunodeficient people like AIDS sufferers,

old and very weak people, etc living in very moldy environments can get

nasty fungal infections like aspergillosis or invasive fungal sinusitis,

which is deadly about half the time. This is not to scare you, but molds

may have an impact in addition to school viruses and germs - maybe only

in terms of allergy, ie in a weak manner, but this would still not help.

You might ask you allergist to test for allergy to molds and then

desensitize, but the best solution would be to transfer schools. If all

the teachers and kids are sick, can't the teachers' unions say a word

about this to the school management ? Is your school close to a river,

wetlands, or something the like ?

Also see my reply to on antibiotic treatments.

> >

> > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can

shed

> any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and fluticasone

> for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to add

> singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,

wondering

> if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now

for

> the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is $60.

> Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus

> surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was aspirin

> sensitive and have samter's triad.

> >

>

Hi Tami,

Well, this is great news ! Infection really IS a fatigue-builder, and

just getting rid of it makes for a great change. You probably have a

good, thorough surgeon.

> >

> > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can

shed

> any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and

fluticasone

> for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to

add

> singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,

wondering

> if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now

for

> the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is

$60.

> Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus

> surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was

aspirin

> sensitive and have samter's triad.

> >

>

Thanks for your reply Asfy. I don't think it would do our school union a bit of good to go after our school district on the state of the health in my school. There are many more schools in my district in the same shape and no district money to do anything about the buildings that are near falling down. Many of the teachers in my building are looking at leaving at the end of this year due to health concerns. In the meantime, I have had my allergy testing to molds and have tested positive to most molds. So, I am especially in a bad position. I wear an ionizer around my neck, but it hasn't helped me much this year. I'm thinking of trying a clove of garlic around my neck next! I see my ENT in two weeks and am praying that he will not say he sees polyps. Since I was desensitized 2 and half years

ago, I have not had any polyps. That is the silver lining. Thanks again for your response. I appreciate all of the information you send our way. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jane

From: asfy <asfyso@...>Subject: Re: Medssamters Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 2:44 PM

Hi Jane,A moldy workplace is not good at all. It's fortunate that your immunesystem is fine - otherwise, immunodeficient people like AIDS sufferers,old and very weak people, etc living in very moldy environments can getnasty fungal infections like aspergillosis or invasive fungal sinusitis,which is deadly about half the time. This is not to scare you, but moldsmay have an impact in addition to school viruses and germs - maybe onlyin terms of allergy, ie in a weak manner, but this would still not help.You might ask you allergist to test for allergy to molds and thendesensitize, but the best solution would be to transfer schools. If allthe teachers and kids are sick, can't the teachers' unions say a wordabout this to the school management ? Is your school close to a river,wetlands, or something the like ?Also see my reply to on antibiotic treatments.> >> > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone canshed> any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and fluticasone> for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to add> singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,wondering> if

it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost nowfor> the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is $60.> Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was aspirin> sensitive and have samter's triad.> >>

Hi Nils,Allicin is one of the major constituents of garlic. Garlic has been shown to be a quorum-sensing inhibitor of pseudomonas (see abstracts below). Based on the 2005 article, I tried oral garlic at a dose equivalent to that administered to mice (ie about 2g/day) in addition to an oral antibiotic (I think it was azythromycin). There seemed to be a good initial response, but the infection came back after a few days or a week, so I cannot say it really worked ; it was also a bit tough on the stomach. It is possible that higher doses of garlic or allicin might have a stronger effect, but there is also a risk of direct toxicity that I was unwilling to test. Do note that chinese people, for instance, routinely eat garlic at high doses (like 20g/day), so it is probably safe on the short-term, ie for the duration of an antibiotic treatment. Now, if one has a biofilm located inside the sinuses, it would be logical that irrigating with garlic extract or allicin would have a far stronger and direct effect than eating it, but the risk of local toxicity would also be far higher, and I would really not advise that. Several members here reported varying success with dilute onion juice irrigation, but I have not tried it.Another path to explore is essential oils, some of which have anti-biofilm activity. Several posters here have tried oregano extract or essential oil, with more or less success. It is possible that other essential oils might also be useful orally (do not irrigate with essential oils, even diluted).FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2009 Sep 18. [Epub ahead of print]Garlic blocks quorum sensing and attenuates the virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Harjai K, Kumar R, Singh S.Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical Sciences Block, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India.Abstract

Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an opportunistic pathogen that colonizes

urinary catheters, forms biofilms, and is responsible for causing

persistent and recurrent nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract

infections (UTIs). These infections show increased morbidity and

mortality in immunocompromised patients. Quorum sensing in P.

aeruginosa plays a key role in biofilm formation, virulence factor

production and antimicrobial resistance. Because of emerging

antimicrobial resistance in P. aeruginosa, there is a need to find an

alternate nonantibiotic agent for the control of infections caused by

this organism. In the present study, garlic was evaluated as a

prophylactic agent in vivo in a mouse UTI model. Oral treatment with

garlic significantly lowered renal bacterial counts and protected mouse

kidney from tissue destruction. In vitro data showed decreased

elaboration of virulence factors and reduced production of

quorum-sensing signals by P. aeruginosa in the presence of fresh garlic

extract. The results suggest that decreased virulence of P. aeruginosa

in garlic-fed mice can be attributed to the quorum-sensing inhibitory

property of garlic. This might have contributed towards reduced

production of virulence factors, as seen in vitro.Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009 Nov;49(5):551-5. Epub 2009 Jul 24.Quorum sensing inhibition activity of garlic extract and p-coumaric acid.Bodini SF, Manfredini S, Epp M, Valentini S, Santori F.Department of Environmental Biotechnologies, ISRIM Scarl, Strada di Pentima, 05100 Terni, Italy. sofobi@...AIMS:

The goal of this work was to investigate the influence of DMSO, garlic

extract and p-coumaric acid on bacterial quorum sensing (QS). METHODS

AND RESULTS: The decreases in the QS responses of QS reporter strains

Escherichia coli pSB401 and pSB536, Agrobacterium tumefaciens NTL4,

Chromobacterium violaceum 5999 and wt 494, Pseudomonas putida IsoF/gfp

and environmental Pseudomonas chlororaphis were quantified in relation

to growth inhibitory effects. DMSO showed no significant QS-specific

effects on the strains tested even at close-to-lethal concentrations.

Garlic extracts antagonized the activity of QS receptors LuxR, AhyR and

TraR, but were toxic at higher concentrations. P-coumaric acid fully

inhibited QS responses of 5999, NTL4 and P. chlororaphis, with no

influence on cell viability. CONCLUSIONS: The quorum sensing inhibition

activity of garlic was extended to novel receptors, and p-coumaric acid

was found to possess previously undescribed QS antagonist properties.

SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY: The results suggest that

p-coumaric acid might act as QS inhibitor. Further studies are required

to understand its role in the regulation of QS and investigate

structurally related compounds.Microbiology. 2005 Dec;151(Pt 12):3873-80.Garlic blocks quorum sensing and promotes rapid clearing of pulmonary Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections.Bjarnsholt T, Jensen PØ, Rasmussen TB, sen L, Calum H, Hentzer M, Hougen HP, Rygaard J, Moser C, Eberl L, Høiby N, Givskov M.Centre for Biomedical Microbiology, BioCentrum, Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark.The

opportunistic human pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa is the predominant

micro-organism of chronic lung infections in cystic fibrosis patients.

P. aeruginosa colonizes the lungs by forming biofilm microcolonies

throughout the lung. Quorum sensing (QS) renders the biofilm bacteria

highly tolerant to otherwise lethal doses of antibiotics, and protects

against the bactericidal activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes

(PMNs). It has been previously demonstrated that QS is inhibited by

garlic extract. In this study, the synergistic effects of garlic and

tobramycin, and PMNs activities have been evaluated. P. aeruginosa was

grown in vitro in continuous-culture once-through flow chambers with

and without garlic extract. The garlic-treated biofilms were

susceptible to both tobramycin and PMN grazing. Furthermore, the PMNs

showed an increase in respiratory burst activation, when incubated with

the garlic-treated biofilm. Garlic extract was administered as

treatment for a mouse pulmonary infection model. Mice were treated with

garlic extract or placebo for 7 days, with the initial 2 days being

prophylactic before P. aeruginosa was instilled in the left lung of the

mice. Bacteriology, mortality, histopathology and cytokine production

were used as indicators. The garlic treatment initially provoked a

higher degree of inflammation, and significantly improved clearing of

the infecting bacteria. The results indicate that a QS-inhibitory

extract of garlic renders P. aeruginosa sensitive to tobramycin,

respiratory burst and phagocytosis by PMNs, as well as leading to an

improved outcome of pulmonary infections> > > >> > > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can> > shed> > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and fluticasone> > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to add> > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > wondering> > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> > for> > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is $60.> > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was aspirin> > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

This is really interesting! I often wondered how much garlic one would have to eat for it to have beneficial results. I eat quite a lot - but not that much!

Becky

From: asfy <asfyso@...>samters Sent: Tue, 24 November, 2009 7:59:32Subject: Re: Meds

Hi Nils,Allicin is one of the major constituents of garlic. Garlic has been shown to be a quorum-sensing inhibitor of pseudomonas (see abstracts below). Based on the 2005 article, I tried oral garlic at a dose equivalent to that administered to mice (ie about 2g/day) in addition to an oral antibiotic (I think it was azythromycin) . There seemed to be a good initial response, but the infection came back after a few days or a week, so I cannot say it really worked ; it was also a bit tough on the stomach. It is possible that higher doses of garlic or allicin might have a stronger effect, but there is also a risk of direct toxicity that I was unwilling to test. Do note that chinese people, for instance, routinely eat garlic at high doses (like 20g/day), so it is probably safe on the short-term, ie for the duration of an antibiotic treatment. Now, if one has a biofilm located inside the sinuses, it would be logical that irrigating with

garlic extract or allicin would have a far stronger and direct effect than eating it, but the risk of local toxicity would also be far higher, and I would really not advise that. Several members here reported varying success with dilute onion juice irrigation, but I have not tried it.Another path to explore is essential oils, some of which have anti-biofilm activity. Several posters here have tried oregano extract or essential oil, with more or less success. It is possible that other essential oils might also be useful orally (do not irrigate with essential oils, even diluted).

FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2009 Sep 18. [Epub ahead of print]

Garlic blocks quorum sensing and attenuates the virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Harjai K, Kumar R, Singh S.

Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical Sciences Block, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India.

Abstract Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an opportunistic pathogen that colonizes urinary catheters, forms biofilms, and is responsible for causing persistent and recurrent nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infections (UTIs). These infections show increased morbidity and mortality in immunocompromised patients. Quorum sensing in P. aeruginosa plays a key role in biofilm formation, virulence factor production and antimicrobial resistance. Because of emerging antimicrobial resistance in P. aeruginosa, there is a need to find an alternate nonantibiotic agent for the control of infections caused by this organism. In the present study, garlic was evaluated as a prophylactic agent in vivo in a mouse UTI model. Oral treatment with garlic significantly lowered renal bacterial counts and protected mouse kidney from tissue destruction. In vitro data showed decreased elaboration of virulence factors and reduced production of quorum-sensing signals by P.

aeruginosa in the presence of fresh garlic extract. The results suggest that decreased virulence of P. aeruginosa in garlic-fed mice can be attributed to the quorum-sensing inhibitory property of garlic. This might have contributed towards reduced production of virulence factors, as seen in vitro.

Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009 Nov;49(5):551- 5. Epub 2009 Jul 24.

Quorum sensing inhibition activity of garlic extract and p-coumaric acid.

Bodini SF, Manfredini S, Epp M, Valentini S, Santori F.

Department of Environmental Biotechnologies, ISRIM Scarl, Strada di Pentima, 05100 Terni, Italy. sofobihotmail (DOT) com

AIMS: The goal of this work was to investigate the influence of DMSO, garlic extract and p-coumaric acid on bacterial quorum sensing (QS). METHODS AND RESULTS: The decreases in the QS responses of QS reporter strains Escherichia coli pSB401 and pSB536, Agrobacterium tumefaciens NTL4, Chromobacterium violaceum 5999 and wt 494, Pseudomonas putida IsoF/gfp and environmental Pseudomonas chlororaphis were quantified in relation to growth inhibitory effects. DMSO showed no significant QS-specific effects on the strains tested even at close-to-lethal concentrations. Garlic extracts antagonized the activity of QS receptors LuxR, AhyR and TraR, but were toxic at higher concentrations. P-coumaric acid fully inhibited QS responses of 5999, NTL4 and P. chlororaphis, with no influence on cell viability. CONCLUSIONS: The quorum sensing inhibition activity of garlic was extended to novel receptors, and p-coumaric acid was found to possess previously undescribed QS

antagonist properties. SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY: The results suggest that p-coumaric acid might act as QS inhibitor. Further studies are required to understand its role in the regulation of QS and investigate structurally related compounds.

Microbiology. 2005 Dec;151(Pt 12):3873-80.

Garlic blocks quorum sensing and promotes rapid clearing of pulmonary Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections.

Bjarnsholt T, Jensen PØ, Rasmussen TB, sen L, Calum H, Hentzer M, Hougen HP, Rygaard J, Moser C, Eberl L, Høiby N, Givskov M.

Centre for Biomedical Microbiology, BioCentrum, Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark.

The opportunistic human pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa is the predominant micro-organism of chronic lung infections in cystic fibrosis patients. P. aeruginosa colonizes the lungs by forming biofilm microcolonies throughout the lung. Quorum sensing (QS) renders the biofilm bacteria highly tolerant to otherwise lethal doses of antibiotics, and protects against the bactericidal activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs). It has been previously demonstrated that QS is inhibited by garlic extract. In this study, the synergistic effects of garlic and tobramycin, and PMNs activities have been evaluated. P. aeruginosa was grown in vitro in continuous-culture once-through flow chambers with and without garlic extract. The garlic-treated biofilms were susceptible to both tobramycin and PMN grazing. Furthermore, the PMNs showed an increase in respiratory burst activation, when incubated with the garlic-treated biofilm. Garlic extract was administered as

treatment for a mouse pulmonary infection model. Mice were treated with garlic extract or placebo for 7 days, with the initial 2 days being prophylactic before P. aeruginosa was instilled in the left lung of the mice. Bacteriology, mortality, histopathology and cytokine production were used as indicators. The garlic treatment initially provoked a higher degree of inflammation, and significantly improved clearing of the infecting bacteria. The results indicate that a QS-inhibitory extract of garlic renders P. aeruginosa sensitive to tobramycin, respiratory burst and phagocytosis by PMNs, as well as leading to an improved outcome of pulmonary infections> > > >> > > > I am a new memeber to

this group and I am wondering if anyone can> > shed> > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and fluticasone> > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to add> > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > wondering> > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> > for> > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is $60.> > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was aspirin> > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Hi Asfy,

Thank you for this information. It is as I thought really and my heart does sink. I manage to keep my head in the sand a lot of the time (my defense machanism for coping with the long term outlook of this illness) and just keep taking the antibiotics even though I hate the side effects. The last time I had my sinuses tested for which microbes they contained was when I had my operation 9 years ago. It is about time I had them tested again, and I do realise I probably need further surgery, but the thought leaves me cold. I suspect the source of my infection is in my right frontal and I have discussed having surgery to open up my frontals, but I have always decided aginst as I feel I can 'manage' with the way things are now - but if I look to the future I just get a sinking feeling knowing I will probably never be rid of this illness. I'll not be rid of this infection without further intervention. It's the old 'caught between a rock and hard

place' situation! I wish I didn't have a dreadful fear of surgery! How do others cope with upcoming surgeries? I am so lucky that I only had the one, which my surgeon did confirm was life-saving as my head was in a dreadful mess - lot of necrosis in the bones etc.

Becky

From: asfy <asfyso@...>samters Sent: Mon, 23 November, 2009 21:33:40Subject: Re: Meds

Hi ,Thank you, I also learn a lot from everyone's experiences here. I amsorry to hear things have not improved - and I really think that youhave only two options now : finding an antibiotic that works, or headingto surgery.When starting an antibiotic treatment, ENTs use what they callprobabilistic treatment, which basically means that they begin bythrowing at the germ the drug that most often works on the generalpopulation for sinusitis, but that may have nothing to do with the bestdrug for your precise germ. So, if it does not work, they switch to asecond one, and so on. This is also why, at some point, they perform aswab of the nasal mucosa and send it to the lab to determine which germswill grow, in order to switch to the most appropriate antibiotic. Butstudies have shown that a mere nasal swab will not reveal what germreally is inside the sinuses, and will on the contrary yield

other germsthat have generally nothing to do with the infection. This is why it isrecommended to perform an endoscopic swab, right inside the offendingsinus(es). Only an endoscopic swab, followed by a culture in a competentlab, will point out the right antibiotic.This digression is meant to illustrate the point that, if you stay on anantibiotic strategy, you can either keep following the probabilisticpath - which has not really worked this well so far - or you can try toget some focus on the germ, which is what I would recommend. It requiresof course that you find an ENT willing and above all competent to do it.Only then will you have a chance of getting better success withantibiotics.You can of course stay on the probabilistic path, using gentamycin,tobramycin, nebulized or IV, or whatever, irrigate with manuka honeylike Nils - and that may work partially or entirely, but this is

NOTcertain at all, and it will take months for you to know, and it may alsoincrease the resistance of the germs.If you happen to have a biofilm - which is not the case with everyonewith chronic sinusitis, but still is with a variable proportion ofpatients, normal amounts of usual antibiotics will not harm it. Symptomsmay come and go, but it will reawaken any time the treatment stops. Evenvery high doses of nebulized antibiotics may not overcome it. In fact,the required doses to bust the biofilm are so high that they will betoxic to the mucosa. This situation leads to only two options : one is anew, "biofilm buster" drug - and many researchers work on such drugsnow, but nothing definitive is ready - and the other is getting rid ofthe biofilm mechanically.By "mechanically" , I mean either through classical surgery, or throughnew techniques which are being perfected and are not available yet

(likeendoscopic ultrasounds, high-pressure ultrasonic flush, lasers,electrical currents, and whathever else).Since these new techniques will not be available for a number of years -hopefully a small number - that leaves only surgery as an option.Biofilms are not necessarily thick, so the surgeon only needs verymoderate scraping of the sinuses, but, like all FESS, this scraping hasto be thorough, with a good wash, antibiotics throughout, etc - and thepatient has to be careful not to get reinfected afterwards.I am not discussing the situation of osteomyelitis here (when the bonessupporting the sinuses get infected), which is worse than a surfacebiofilm.So, if I were you, I would at least try to find an ENT willing toperform endoscopic swabs, and failing this option, think about surgery.This does not mean that a probabilistic treatment will not help, but theodds are against

it.> >> > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone canshed> any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and fluticasone> for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to add> singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,wondering> if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost

nowfor> the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is $60.> Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was aspirin> sensitive and have samter's triad.> >>

Hi Asfyso,indeed, very interesting - especially with the initial positive response. Did you take garlic or stabilized allicin at that time?Not sure if it really works but there seems to be a differrence between eating garlic and taking a high dose of stabilized allicin as e.g. described in the below article.PS: I just ordered some stabilized allicin pills and nasal drops from Allimed for a self trial - let's see (USD 129 per pack - crasy!) . I will keep you updated.CheersNilsSuper Natural Antibiotic Alligin Liberty Health Ne

September 02, 2006

Never Before Available in History:

Stabilized allicin is

the result of a patented process which produces purified,

living-source, completely stable allicin – for the first time in

history. Allicin is not garlic – but the fully potent, active factor in

concentrated form, never before available. It has broad spectrum,

anti-infective properties coupled with strong, immune boosting and

immunomodulating capacity.

This makes stabilized allicin a highly significant clinical

agent – especially critical in today’s world of widespread

infections and with the creation of new forms of superbugs that have emerged due to overuse of antibiotics.

At last, genuine stabilized allicin provides controlled,

gentle, yet exquisitely thorough biofilm degradation and

destruction - critical to overcoming many chronic illnesses, often

recalcitrant to any other means. Many doctors have seen miracles for

chronic acne, sinusitis, intestinal dysbiosis, prostate bacterial

infections and severe biofilm congestion in many other organs and

glands.

The Link of Chronic Diseases to Hidden Infection.

New, stunning worldwide research in the past decade has linked the

majority of chronic degenerative diseases, once believed to be due to

poor lifestyle choices, genetics or other factors, instead to hidden

infections – previously undiagnosed until the recent advent of more

sophisticated techniques (such as PCR – polymerase chain technology).

For example, kidney stones have now been linked to

nanobacterial infection. Over 80% of heart disease has been linked to

infection by Chlamydia pneumoniae.

How is Stabilized Allicin Made? To produce stabilized

allicin, the starting material – healthy, raw garlic bulbs

grown in the Pederonas area near Valencia, Spain – are carefully

selected to ensure that they contain significant enzyme activity (from

alliinase enzymes) so the resulting allicin potency will be optimal.

Garlic bulbs under 50 mm wide are rejected as too small; garlic heads

that have begun to sprout or appear damaged in any way are also

rejected.

Once the bulbs have been selected, they are analyzed for sufficient alliin content using HPLC and mass spectrometry.

Next, the garlic is crushed in a special reaction chamber

where extra alliin is added to form high amounts of allicin.

The system is carefully controlled and kept under constantpressure

as the allicin is filtered. The resultant allicin liquiid is analyzed

by HPLC and frozen for transport to a low-temperature dryer. After

drying, the powder is tested microbiologically and by HPLC again. No

chemical solvents are ever used. The potency of the final powder is

directly related to its enzymatic concentration and activity.

A Brief History of Garlic

Garlic may well be one of the most famous of all plants in

human history – dating back to use by the pharaohs and

many ancient cultures. Garlic has generated interest

throughout the centuries as a medicinal panacea. Broad

ranges of pathological organisms, including bacteria, fungi, protozoa

and viruses have been shown to be sensitive to crushed garlic. Research

also shows that garlic can reduce blood cholesterol and has proven

anti-cancer effects. These beneficial effects may be due in part to

garlic’s unusual concentration of sulfur-containing compounds (1-3%).

For over a century, some of garlic’s key sulfur compounds called

allyl sulfides have been known. However, not until 1944 was the chief,

highly anti-infective compound of garlic discovered – an oxygenated

sulfur compound named allicin, from the Latin name of the plant, Allium

sativum.

The debate about whether allicin existed in a crushed

garlic clove vs. its absence in whole, uncrushed cloves was resolved in

1947, when researchers (Stoll and Seebeck) found high amounts of an

oxygenated sulfur amino acid present in raw garlic cloves (which they

named alliin). Alliin was found to be the stable precursor that is

converted to allicin by the action of an enzyme called allinase, also

present in garlic cloves. Although aliin was found to be the stable

precursor that is converted to allicin by the action of an enzyme

called allinase, also present in garlic cloves.

Although alliin has no antimicrobial properties itself, when a garlic

clove is crushed, the alliin is transformed via the allinase enzymes

into the biologically active allicin molecule - within seconds of

crushing a clove.

Garlic cloves are odor-free until crushed. Fascinating

cross-section studies show that the substrate, alliin, and

the enzyme, allinase, are located in different compartments of the same

clove. When the clove is crushed, the alliin and allinase then come in

contact with each other to rapidly form allicin. However, the reactive

allicin molecules produced have a very short half-life, as they react

with many surrounding proteins. Thus, consuming stabilized allicin

Stabilized Allicin

Never Before Available in History. Stabilized allicin is

the result of a patented process which produces purified,

living-source, completely stable allicin – for the first time in

history. Allicin is not garlic – but the fully potent, active factor in

concentrated form, never before available. It has broad spectrum,

anti-infective properties coupled with strong, immune boosting and

immunomodulating capacity.

This makes stabilized allicin a highly significant clinical

agent – especially critical in today’s world of widespread

infections and with the creation of new forms of superbugs that have emerged due to overuse of antibiotics.

At last, genuine stabilized allicin provides controlled,

gentle, yet exquisitely thorough biofilm degradation and

destruction - critical to overcoming many chronic illnesses,often

recalcitrant to any other means. Many doctors have seen miracles for

chronic acne, sinusitis, intestinal dysbiosis, prostate bacterial

infections and severe biofilm congestion

in many other organs and glands.

The Link of Chronic Diseases to Hidden Infection.

other factors, instead to hidden infections – previously undiagnosed

until the recent advent of more sophisticated techniques (such as PCR –

polymerase chain technology). For example, kidney stones have now been

linked to nanobacterial infection. Over 80% of heart disease has been

linked to infection by Chlamydia pneumoniae.

How is Stabilized Allicin Made? To produce stabilized

allicin, the starting material – healthy, raw garlic bulbs

grown in the Pederonas area near Valencia, Spain – are carefully

selected to ensure that they contain significant enzyme activity (from

alliinase enzymes) so the resulting allicin potency will be optimal.

Garlic bulbs under 50 mm wide are rejected as too small; garlic heads

that have begun to sprout or appear damaged in any way are also

rejected.

Once the bulbs have been selected, they are analyzed for sufficient alliin content using HPLC and mass spectrometry.

Next, the garlic is crushed in a special reaction chamber

where extra alliin is added to form high amounts of allicin.

The system is carefully controlled and kept under constant pressure

as the allicin is filtered. The resultant allicin Stabilized Allicin

Broad Spectrum, Anti-Infective Agent and Premier Biofilm Buster

�� Spectacular, broad spectrum, immune-specific support, especially mouth, GI and urinary tracts

�� Breakthrough new process delivering pure, stabilized

allicin for the first time in history

�� This is not garlic - but the fully potent, active factor in

concentrated form, never available before

�� Premier, living-source extract with high capacity for

biofilm destruction and parasite cleansing

with its unusually high amounts of stable allicin allows for a

veritable all-out attack on existing pathogenic organisms for a

superior clinical response – completely safe and effective — without

harmful or

toxic side effects.

The Broad-Spectrum, Anti-Infective Properties of Allicin

Stabilized allicin has demonstrated significant antibacterial,

antifungal, larvicidal and antiviral properties. It has also been shown

to

reduce elevated cholesterol and blood pressure as well as increasing

the CD4-T cell count significantly.

Antibacterial Activity of Allicin. Various researchers have shown that

garlic extracts exhibit a wide spectrum of antibacterial activity

against gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria including species of

Escherichia, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Klebsiella,

Proteus, Bacillus and Clostridium. Even acid-fast bacteria such as

Mycobacterium tuberculosis are sensitive to garlic. Research shows that

garlic extracts are effective against Helicobacter pylori, the cause

of gastric ulcers. Garlic extracts can also prevent the formation of

Staphylococcus enterotoxins A, B and C1 and also thermonuclease.

Researchers Cavallito and were the first to demonstrate that

the antibacterial action of garlic is mainly due to allicin.

Interestingly,

allicin has also been proven to be effective against various bacterial

strains resistant to antibiotics such as Methicillin Resistant

Staphylococcus

Aureus (MRSA) as well as other multi-drug-resistant

enterotoxicogenic strains of Escherichia coli, Enterococcus, Shigella

dysenteriae, S. flexneni and S. sonnei cells. Antifungal Activity of

Allicin. Research shows that garlic extracts have a strong antifungal

effect and inhibit the formation of mycotoxins

like the aflatoxin of Aspergillus parasiticus. Another study showed the

fungistatic and fungicidal activity of a highly concentrated garlic

extract against Cryptococcus neoformans. Pure allicin was found to

have a high anti-candidal activity and was effective against various

species of Candida, Cryptococcous, Trichophyton, Epidermphyton

and Microsporum. Allicin inhibited both germination of spores and

growth of hyphae.

Antiparasitic Properties of Allicin.

Many ancient cultures were aware of the antiparasitic effects of

freshly crushed garlic. More recently,

Albert Schweitzer, a famous medical doctor and humanitarian, used

freshly crushed garlic to treat people suffering from dysentery or

intestinal worms. One traditional Chinese medical treatment for

intestinal

disease is an alcoholic extract of crushed garlic. Recent research

shows that allicin is also effective against Entoameba histolytica, a

human intestinal protozoan parasite. Stabilized allicin has also very

efficiently inhibited the growth of other protozoan parasites

such as Giardia lamblia, Leishmania major, Leptomonas

colosoma and Crithidia fasciculate.

Antiviral Activity of Allicin.

Fresh garlic extracts in which allicin

has been tested to be the main active component, have shown in vitro

and in vivo antiviral activity, including effectiveness against the

human cytomegalovirus, influenza B, herpes simplex virus type 1, herpes

simplex virus type 2, parainfluenza virus type 3, vaccinia virus,

vesicular stomatitis virus and human rhinovirus type 2. Stabilized

allicin has also been shown to be effective against Molluscum

contagiosum viral infections. The allicin condensation product, ajoene,

appears to have more antiviral activity in general than allicin. Ajoene

was found to block the integrin-dependent processes in a human

immunodeficiency virus-infected cell system.

Allicin and the Common Cold. The common cold is the most widespread

viral infection in the world today. It is estimated that most people

will suffer 2 to 5 colds per year. Over 200 different viruses Rev.

12/1/04 cause infection and cold symptoms, the most common of which are

the rhinoviruses (which account for 30-40% of adult colds).

Re-infection is also very prevalent because of this wide variety of

infectious viruses.

A “cure†for the common cold could reduce the number of working days

lost each year as well as eliminate or significantly reduce the

symptoms of cold infections such as fatigue, headaches, runny nose,

sneezing, coughing, fever, etc.

In 1985, Hanley and Fenwick reported that during an influenza

epidemic in the former Soviet Union, officials imported over 500 tons

of garlic cloves for acute treatment of the disease. Research shows

that

garlic extracts are effective against numerous viruses that cause colds

and flu. Evidence points towards allicin and ajoene as the main

components responsible for this antiviral activity.

A recent, double blind, placebo-controlled study showed significant

protection from the common cold virus using stabilized allicin.

Further research showed that taking stabilized allicin daily

produced quantifiable benefits of prevention, treatment and reduction

of reinfection from colds.

Hay Fever (Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis). In another recent study with

stabilized allicin, 80% of volunteers reported a significant reduction

in their hay fever symptoms.

How does stabilized allicin work?

The broad-spectrum, antimicrobial effects of allicin (and its

associated molecule, ajoene) appear to be due to the multiple

inhibitory effects on various thiol-dependent enzymatic systems –

lethal to the

infecting organisms – but without harm to the human host.

Ajoene has a similar oxygenated sulfur group to allcin, which has

been shown to inhibit the proliferation of Trypanosoma cruzi, possibly

by inhibition of its phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis. Ajoene has

also been shown to be effective against Parcoccidioides brasiliensis

via a similar mechanism.

Why not just take regular garlic?

No longer do you need to hope that fresh garlic is rich in alliin,

so when it’s chopped, the allinase enzymes will react to form allicin.

Nor do you need to hope the allicin can get to the target site before

it degrades to an ineffective form.

Now, stabilized allicin, a completely stable form, is available

which has a proven track record to gently clear harmful pathogens,

especially those contained in miniature, multicompartmented cities

called

biofilms. It is now known that over 99% of all infection in the body

live in biofilms.

Look for stabilized allicin, usually 180 mg Vcaps, delivering 54

mcg.

highly active allicin per Vcap (or liquid which delivers 30 mcg. per

drop). Stabilized allicin is super potent allicin that really works,

especially

when compared to most other garlic products and extracts on

the market which typically contain no active allicin at all.

Is there a garlic smell with stabilized allicin?

No. Since stabilized allicin is not garlic, but a specific molecule

complex from garlic, it has only a very mild, garlic-like taste (if a

capsule is opened) and does not leave “garlic breath†when taken.

Note: Stabillized allicin is safe in pregnancy and in children over age 4.

Typical use (adults and children age 4 up): one Vcap (180 mg) with breakfast.

For special programs, up to 3 Vcaps, 4 times daily may be taken.

REFERENCES:

Cavalitto, C, , JH. Allicin, the antibacterial principle of

Allium sativum. Isolation, physical properties and antibacterial

action, J AM Chem Soc 66 (1944).

Celiini L, Di Campli B, Masulli M, Di Bartolomeo S, Aliocati N,

Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori by garlic extract (Allium satvium),

FEM Immenol Med Micrbiol 13

(1996):273-277.

Elmore, GS, Feldberg, RS. Alliin lyase localization in bundle

sheaths of garlic clove (Allium sativum), Am J Bat 81 (1994): 89-94.

-Fandoz F, - M, Sierra M, Otero A, Staphylococcal

growth and enterotonxins (A-D) and thermonuclease synthesis in the

presence

of dehydrated garlic, J Appl Bacteriol 77 (1994):549-552.

Huges, EG, Lawson, LD, Antimicrobial effects of Allium sativum L.

(garlic) Allium ameelopratrum (elephant garlic) and Allium cepa (onion)

garlic compounds

and commercial grade garlic supplements, Phytothet Res 5 (1991):

154-158.

Koch, HP, Lawson, LD. Garlic, the science and therapeutic

application of Allium sativum L. and related species, in: Retford DC

(Ed), and Wilkins,

Baltimore, 1996, pp.1-233.

Rabinkov, A Miron T, Konsrantinovski L, Wilchek M, Mirelman D,

Weiner L, The mode of action of allicin: trapping of radicals and

interaction with thiol

containing proteins, Biochim Biophys Acts 1379 (1998): 233-244.

Yamada, Y, Azuma K, Evaluation of the in vitro antifungal activity of allicin, Antimicrob Agents Chemother [1] (1997):743-749.

--- Bannister <beckyb256@...> schrieb am Di, 24.11.2009:Von: Bannister <beckyb256@...>Betreff: Re: Re: MedsAn: samters Datum: Dienstag, 24. November 2009, 11:51

This is really interesting! I often wondered how much garlic one would have to eat for it to have beneficial results. I eat quite a lot - but not that much!

Becky

From: asfy <asfyso (DOT) fr>samters@groups .comSent: Tue, 24 November, 2009 7:59:32Subject: Re: Meds

Hi Nils,Allicin is one of the major constituents of garlic. Garlic has been shown to be a quorum-sensing inhibitor of pseudomonas (see abstracts below). Based on the 2005 article, I tried oral garlic at a dose equivalent to that administered to mice (ie about 2g/day) in addition to an oral antibiotic (I think it was azythromycin) . There seemed to be a good initial response, but the infection came back after a few days or a week, so I cannot say it really worked ; it was also a bit tough on the stomach. It is possible that higher doses of garlic or allicin might have a stronger effect, but there is also a risk of direct toxicity that I was unwilling to test. Do note that chinese people, for instance, routinely eat garlic at high doses (like 20g/day), so it is probably safe on the short-term, ie for the duration of an antibiotic treatment. Now, if one has a biofilm located inside the sinuses, it would be logical that irrigating with

garlic extract or allicin would have a far stronger and direct effect than eating it, but the risk of local toxicity would also be far higher, and I would really not advise that. Several members here reported varying success with dilute onion juice irrigation, but I have not tried it.Another path to explore is essential oils, some of which have anti-biofilm activity. Several posters here have tried oregano extract or essential oil, with more or less success. It is possible that other essential oils might also be useful orally (do not irrigate with essential oils, even diluted).

FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2009 Sep 18. [Epub ahead of print]

Garlic blocks quorum sensing and attenuates the virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Harjai K, Kumar R, Singh S.

Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical Sciences Block, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India.

Abstract Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an opportunistic pathogen that colonizes urinary catheters, forms biofilms, and is responsible for causing persistent and recurrent nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infections (UTIs). These infections show increased morbidity and mortality in immunocompromised patients. Quorum sensing in P. aeruginosa plays a key role in biofilm formation, virulence factor production and antimicrobial resistance. Because of emerging antimicrobial resistance in P. aeruginosa, there is a need to find an alternate nonantibiotic agent for the control of infections caused by this organism. In the present study, garlic was evaluated as a prophylactic agent in vivo in a mouse UTI model. Oral treatment with garlic significantly lowered renal bacterial counts and protected mouse kidney from tissue destruction. In vitro data showed decreased elaboration of virulence factors and reduced production of quorum-sensing signals by P.

aeruginosa in the presence of fresh garlic extract. The results suggest that decreased virulence of P. aeruginosa in garlic-fed mice can be attributed to the quorum-sensing inhibitory property of garlic. This might have contributed towards reduced production of virulence factors, as seen in vitro.

Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009 Nov;49(5):551- 5. Epub 2009 Jul 24.

Quorum sensing inhibition activity of garlic extract and p-coumaric acid.

Bodini SF, Manfredini S, Epp M, Valentini S, Santori F.

Department of Environmental Biotechnologies, ISRIM Scarl, Strada di Pentima, 05100 Terni, Italy. sofobihotmail (DOT) com

AIMS: The goal of this work was to investigate the influence of DMSO, garlic extract and p-coumaric acid on bacterial quorum sensing (QS). METHODS AND RESULTS: The decreases in the QS responses of QS reporter strains Escherichia coli pSB401 and pSB536, Agrobacterium tumefaciens NTL4, Chromobacterium violaceum 5999 and wt 494, Pseudomonas putida IsoF/gfp and environmental Pseudomonas chlororaphis were quantified in relation to growth inhibitory effects. DMSO showed no significant QS-specific effects on the strains tested even at close-to-lethal concentrations. Garlic extracts antagonized the activity of QS receptors LuxR, AhyR and TraR, but were toxic at higher concentrations. P-coumaric acid fully inhibited QS responses of 5999, NTL4 and P. chlororaphis, with no influence on cell viability. CONCLUSIONS: The quorum sensing inhibition activity of garlic was extended to novel receptors, and p-coumaric acid was found to possess previously undescribed QS

antagonist properties. SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY: The results suggest that p-coumaric acid might act as QS inhibitor. Further studies are required to understand its role in the regulation of QS and investigate structurally related compounds.

Microbiology. 2005 Dec;151(Pt 12):3873-80.

Garlic blocks quorum sensing and promotes rapid clearing of pulmonary Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections.

Bjarnsholt T, Jensen PØ, Rasmussen TB, sen L, Calum H, Hentzer M, Hougen HP, Rygaard J, Moser

C, Eberl L, Høiby N, Givskov M.

Centre for Biomedical Microbiology, BioCentrum, Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark.

The opportunistic human pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa is the predominant micro-organism of chronic lung infections in cystic fibrosis patients. P. aeruginosa colonizes the lungs by forming biofilm microcolonies throughout the lung. Quorum sensing (QS) renders the biofilm bacteria highly tolerant to otherwise lethal doses of antibiotics, and protects against the bactericidal activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs). It has been previously demonstrated that QS is inhibited by garlic extract. In this study, the synergistic effects of garlic and tobramycin, and PMNs activities have been evaluated. P. aeruginosa was grown in vitro in continuous-culture once-through flow chambers with and without garlic extract. The garlic-treated biofilms were susceptible to both tobramycin and PMN grazing. Furthermore, the PMNs showed an increase in respiratory burst activation, when incubated with the garlic-treated biofilm. Garlic extract was administered as

treatment for a mouse pulmonary infection model. Mice were treated with garlic extract or placebo for 7 days, with the initial 2 days being prophylactic before P. aeruginosa was instilled in the left lung of the mice. Bacteriology, mortality, histopathology and cytokine production were used as indicators. The garlic treatment initially provoked a higher degree of inflammation, and significantly improved clearing of the infecting bacteria. The results indicate that a QS-inhibitory extract of garlic renders P. aeruginosa sensitive to tobramycin, respiratory burst and phagocytosis by PMNs, as well as leading to an improved outcome of pulmonary infections> > > >> > > > I am a new memeber to

this group and I am wondering if anyone can> > shed> > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and fluticasone> > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to add> > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > wondering> > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> > for> > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is $60.> > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was aspirin> > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Well, bone necrosis is something you really want to avoid because it can

be tricky to treat if it is too advanced. In fact, a good motivation to

go back to surgery is that you have a good surgeon, since he was able to

rescue you successfully from that :-) But you can try an endoscopic swab

before that as last resort.

> > >

> > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can

> shed

> > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and

fluticasone

> > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to

add

> > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,

> wondering

> > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now

> for

> > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is

$60.

> > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus

> > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was

aspirin

> > sensitive and have samter's triad.

> > >

> >

>

My last surgeon was excellent - but he was a family friend who saw me as the NHS totally let me down (they knew i was dangerously ill as I'd been in hospital for a week over the Christmas period on an IV drip as I couldn't eve hold down antibiotics, food or any other meds). At that stage I didn't even know what was wrong with me and i'd lost 2 stone (that I couldn't afford to lose) in that one year of being ill. the surgeon who operated on me happened to be a friend of my parents who told him about my illness during one of their Christmas parties, and he said he would see me if i travelled over to him....so we did and he was very shocked at how ill I was and that the NHS hadn't operated on me. He operated on me at a private hospital for no financial charge, and he also had some serious words to say to

the medical staff who had supposedly cared for me over the past few months!! My operation was the longest he'd ever done and he said in his long career he had never seen a case as bad as mine - the bones of my skull were paper thin around my eye sockets and my whole sinuses are now totally opened up as he had to remove all the tissues in my nose as they were all necrotic. I also had septicaemia and my surgeo told me I would had unfortunately been dead within the week. i did say to him that I knew I was very ill but no one had listened to me. Mike also diagnosed me on the spot that my condition was Samters. So he truly saved my life and he also set me up with my new(current) ENT who has taken fairly good care of me since.

Anyway, now I have a different ENT where we now live, and he would be my surgeon.

Sorry for longwinded story!

Yes, I will ask for an endoscopic swab at my next appontment in about 2-3 months.

Thanks

Becky

From: asfy <asfyso@...>samters Sent: Wed, 25 November, 2009 6:11:31Subject: Re: Meds

Well, bone necrosis is something you really want to avoid because it canbe tricky to treat if it is too advanced. In fact, a good motivation togo back to surgery is that you have a good surgeon, since he was able torescue you successfully from that :-) But you can try an endoscopic swabbefore that as last resort.> > >> > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can> shed> > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair andfluticasone> > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me toadd> > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> wondering> > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> for> > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is$60.> > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i

have had 6 sinus> > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i wasaspirin> > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > >> >>

Nils,I unfortunately do not have the time this week to explore in detail garlic and allicin, although a quick search shows allicin may be useful against staph biofilms (abstract below), but I do have a few "ifs" :- I am usually wary of across-the-board claims that something can cure everything, including biofilms, etc even though there may be research lending credibility to the idea that it could be useful, like in Allimed's case ; this is because biofilms are tricky by nature ; but this does not mean that I automatically disbelieve every such claim ;- that being said, I had a quick look at Allimed's website, and it looks like there is good evidence in favour of it in the case of wound management and intestinal diseases, so I will investigate further ;- I actually tried organic, cooking garlic per os several times, and I noted an initial beneficial response only the first time, which could also be attributed to the antibiotic, so I cannot conclude much from my experiment, except that 2g/day dried garlic did not help ; given the poor gut response, I did not attempt to increase the dose ; as you pointed out, this is not the same thing as trying fresh garlic or allicin ;- allicin per os, like high-dose garlic, is likely to seriously upset your gut flora ; if you try it, you will need a probiotic (which by the way are a safer possibility to influence biofilms),- topical allicin is likely to have local toxicity, contrary to topical honey which is very safe for wound management and therefore not likely to be a local toxic ; if you really intend to use nasal drops (which I would not try, but I am a cautious type) I would advise you to make a quick research to evaluate the local toxicity dose and compare that to the dose on the package ; I think the article I mentioned about mice with lung infection that were helped by garlic did say that the higher doses of garlic tested provoked tissue inflammation ; there are a lot of compounds out there that can break biofilms but are local toxics at the required doses, which is why the real problem is in finding something that is tolerable, not toxic, yet efficient; stronger compounds are often ok for external wound management, but not for the sinuses, which are a mucosa and therefore fragile, and also because of the proximity of the optical nerves - eyesight loss is a side effect that must always be kept in mind. If I were you, I would call Allimed before trying anything and ask them if anyone has used it nasally and how they have fared in terms of inflammation. Anyway, the two most important things to monitor are inflammation and eyesight modifications ;- have you considered discussing with your doctor local mupirocin, which is an approved antibiotic against staph ?-------------J Appl Microbiol. 2003;95(4):709-11.In

vitro activity of allicin against Staphylococcus epidermidis and

influence of subinhibitory concentrations on biofilm formation.Pérez-Giraldo C, Cruz-Villalón G, Sánchez-Silos R, Martínez-Rubio R, Blanco MT, Gómez-García AC.Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain.AIMS:

The aim of this study is to determine the in vitro activity of allicin

against Staphylococcus epidermidis and to evaluate the influence of

allicin on biofilm formation. METHODS AND RESULTS: In vitro activity of

allicin (diallyl thiosulphinate) against 38 strains of S. epidermidis

was investigated. The activity of allicin was similar against S.

epidermidis methicillin susceptible and methicillin resistant strains

[minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC)90=8 mg l(-1)]. In general,

subinhibitory concentrations (sub-MIC) of allicin diminished biofilm

formation in the five strains analysed. CONCLUSION: The results confirm

the antibacterial effect of allicin. Sub-MICs of allicin also

diminished the biofilm formations by S. epidermidis. SIGNIFICANCE AND

IMPACT OF THE STUDY: The present study shows that allicin is active in

vitro against S. epidermidis and that sub-MICs of allicin may play a

role in the prevention of adherence of this bacteria to medical devices.> > > > > >> > > > > > I am a new memeber to> this group and I am wondering if anyone can> > > > shed> > > > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and fluticasone> > > > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to add> > > > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > > > wondering> > > > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> > > > for> > > > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is $60.> > > > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was aspirin> > > > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > > > >> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> >

I understand your situation better, and this reinforces me in the idea

that you cannot let this instance happen again for fear of not escaping

twice with such luck. If I were in your place, I would honestly plan

surgery right away - the risk-benefit analysis is clearly in favour of

it. Do you intend to stay on antibiotics till your swab (and therefore

risk antibiotics side-effects), or drop them (and risk complications

like meningitis if your bones have become too thin from steroid use) ?

(no dark humor intended, but waiting 3 months sounds bad).

> > > >

> > > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone

can

> > shed

> > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and

> fluticasone

> > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to

> add

> > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,

> > wondering

> > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost

now

> > for

> > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is

> $60.

> > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus

> > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was

> aspirin

> > > sensitive and have samter's triad.

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Thank you for your concern and your time. I have an appointment booked with my GP next week and i will raise this issue with her. I stopped my 4 week course of antibiotics a few days ago and the infection is now back and having fun.

My situation is not nearly so bad as 10 years ago as i do not have polyps now - back then my head was filled with polyps and they were coming out of my nose (so lovely). My main maxillary sinuses are open and it's just my sinuses around my eyes and the ones leading to my ears which get blocked with infection, not polyps. i am always able to breathe through my nose - a pleasure I have appreciated every day since that operation, so i don't believe things are nearly as bad as back then. But, yes, I agree it's time my Docs and i found out what the bugs are, exactly where they are and try to get rid of them. They are not going to clear up of their own accord. i guess another concern of mine is getting paranoid about reinfection once that infection has been removed.

Becky

From: asfy <asfyso@...>samters Sent: Wed, 25 November, 2009 8:53:19Subject: Re: Meds

I understand your situation better, and this reinforces me in the ideathat you cannot let this instance happen again for fear of not escapingtwice with such luck. If I were in your place, I would honestly plansurgery right away - the risk-benefit analysis is clearly in favour ofit. Do you intend to stay on antibiotics till your swab (and thereforerisk antibiotics side-effects) , or drop them (and risk complicationslike meningitis if your bones have become too thin from steroid use) ?(no dark humor intended, but waiting 3 months sounds bad).> > > >> > > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyonecan> > shed> > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and> fluticasone> > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to> add> > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > wondering> > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the costnow> > for> > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share

now is> $60.> > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was> aspirin> > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > >> > >> >>

Becky,

More than anything, you need to realize that you came through that terrible time ten years ago for a reason. I'm going to get spiritual on you here. You made it through something worse than most of us have suffered through. I would say you have an army of angels watching over you and they will continue to do so. Do not fear the future, even if that includes surgey. Know that you will again be guided and taken care of. I am so sorry that you continue to suffer, but it sounds like you are reasoning out what you need to do. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You will get through this and be feeling better soon. I'm sure of it!

Jane

From: Bannister <beckyb256@...>Subject: Re: Re: Medssamters Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 7:07 AM

Thank you for your concern and your time. I have an appointment booked with my GP next week and i will raise this issue with her. I stopped my 4 week course of antibiotics a few days ago and the infection is now back and having fun.

My situation is not nearly so bad as 10 years ago as i do not have polyps now - back then my head was filled with polyps and they were coming out of my nose (so lovely). My main maxillary sinuses are open and it's just my sinuses around my eyes and the ones leading to my ears which get blocked with infection, not polyps. i am always able to breathe through my nose - a pleasure I have appreciated every day since that operation, so i don't believe things are nearly as bad as back then. But, yes, I agree it's time my Docs and i found out what the bugs are, exactly where they are and try to get rid of them. They are not going to clear up of their own accord. i guess another concern of mine is getting paranoid about reinfection once that infection has been removed.

Becky

From: asfy <asfyso (DOT) fr>samters@groups .comSent: Wed, 25 November, 2009 8:53:19Subject: Re: Meds

I understand your situation better, and this reinforces me in the ideathat you cannot let this instance happen again for fear of not escapingtwice with such luck. If I were in your place, I would honestly plansurgery right away - the risk-benefit analysis is clearly in favour ofit. Do you intend to stay on antibiotics till your swab (and thereforerisk antibiotics side-effects) , or drop them (and risk complicationslike meningitis if your bones have become too thin from steroid use) ?(no dark humor intended, but waiting 3 months sounds bad).> > > >> > > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyonecan> > shed> > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and> fluticasone> > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to> add> > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > wondering> > > if it will improve things significantly.

Have to admit the costnow> > for> > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is> $60.> > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was> aspirin> > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > >> > >> >>

Becky, I can certainly feel your pain with the surgery as well as can relate to putting your head in the sand about this illness. I've been doing the same (other than being on this thread) with my disease as well. It seems like a miserable prognosis to have to "live like this" for the rest of my life. Honestly some days when I have had a flair up, haven't been able to sleep, and can't breathe I have thought to myself - how am I GOING to live like this. Let me tell you though - After not getting any sleep for the past 3-4 years, waking through the night to readjust myself to find a way to breathe - I finally broke down and went back to my ENT. He put me on a dose of oral steroids, back on steroid nasal spray, and back on singulair ( the 3 main arsenals for our disease).with 2 weeks of antibiotic for a sinus infection that I

apparently had and didn't notice. After about 3 days on this regimen I slept for about 4 days straight. Regaining the years and years of sleep deprivation that I've lived with. I even have a slight hint of being able to smell again which is like an awakening in itself. I even broke out in terrible hives and found now I'm allergic to Penicillin but I was still happy to have been able to sleep and smell slightly. After 10 days went back in for a cat scan to see if I was going to need surgery again (have only had one surgery back in 2005) and they said yes I will need another. So I'm scheduled for surgery Dec 10. Also, doctor is scheduled me for desensitization to start immediately as he wants me to have the desensitization before surgery to bring down the inflammation that is currently in my sinuses that will allow him better access to my sinuses - then allergist will ween me down prior to surgery - and vamp me back up

after surgery. Even with all that - the terrible hives/rash all over my body that took me to ER from my reaction to the antibiotic. The Doctor saying my sinuses look almost completely closed and I'll need surgery. The idea of having to go through desensitization - the ability to be able to just sleep through the night for the last week has convinced me that if I don't take care of this disease and progressively manage it my quality of life will be terrible. The last week I have felt 100 times better than I have in the past 3-4 years and hearing my doctor say that from the looks of things I should feel terrible still at this point - really made me put into perspective how far I have let this go and how far away from a normal quality of life I have let this get. It certainly helps to have this thread and I too don't want to have surgery but if it's surgery or having a miserable life and dread everyday as another day I have to fight

to breathe. I have to choose surgery and do what I have to do to maintain my quality of life - because we all know there is no cure at this point only maintenance. -BiancaBianca

www.aigadesignjobs.org/Biafran

907-830-9277From: asfy <asfyso@...>Subject: Re: Medssamters Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 9:11 PM

Well, bone necrosis is something you really want to avoid because it can

be tricky to treat if it is too advanced. In fact, a good motivation to

go back to surgery is that you have a good surgeon, since he was able to

rescue you successfully from that :-) But you can try an endoscopic swab

before that as last resort.

> > >

> > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can

> shed

> > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and

fluticasone

> > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to

add

> > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,

> wondering

> > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now

> for

> > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is

$60.

> > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus

> > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was

aspirin

> > sensitive and have samter's triad.

> > >

> >

>

Hi Jane,

Thank you very much! Actually I do (try to) follow a spiritual path and I do believe in angels! Funnily enough my spiritual journey has gone hand in hand with my Samters, so I do wonder whether it is a necessary part of my journey.

Anyhow - yes, i should have more faith in surgeons ;-)

Becky x

From: Jane Marino <janesmarino@...>samters Sent: Wed, 25 November, 2009 15:14:55Subject: Re: Re: Meds

Becky,

More than anything, you need to realize that you came through that terrible time ten years ago for a reason. I'm going to get spiritual on you here. You made it through something worse than most of us have suffered through. I would say you have an army of angels watching over you and they will continue to do so. Do not fear the future, even if that includes surgey. Know that you will again be guided and taken care of. I am so sorry that you continue to suffer, but it sounds like you are reasoning out what you need to do. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You will get through this and be feeling better soon. I'm sure of it!

Jane

From: Bannister <beckyb256 (DOT) co.uk>Subject: Re: Re: Medssamters@groups .comDate: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 7:07 AM

Becky

From: asfy <asfyso (DOT) fr>samters@groups .comSent: Wed, 25 November, 2009 8:53:19Subject: Re: Meds

I understand your situation better, and this reinforces me in the ideathat you cannot let this instance happen again for fear of not escapingtwice with such luck. If I were in your place, I would honestly plansurgery right away - the risk-benefit analysis is clearly in favour ofit. Do you intend to stay on antibiotics till your swab (and thereforerisk antibiotics side-effects) , or drop them (and risk complicationslike meningitis if your bones have become too thin from steroid use) ?(no dark humor intended, but waiting 3 months sounds bad).> > > >> > > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyonecan> > shed> > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and> fluticasone> > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to> add> > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > wondering> > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the costnow> > for> > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is>

$60.> > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was> aspirin> > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > >> > >> >>

Bianca,

I wish you all the very best for your operation on the 10th Dec - that just about gives you enough time to recover in time for Christmas, and wouldn't it be amazing if you recovered a sense of smell for that!

I am sorry that you suffered from lack of sleep for 4 years due to your nose. That is awful. I was affected for 1 year only and that length of time has left me still feeling grateful for being able to breathe clearly, 9 years on. Hopefully the desens will help you too, although going up and down does may leave you feeling not great, but when you are desens and post-op, you should be a lot better.

Let us know how it all goes,

Becky

From: Bianca F <bianca_f75@...>samters Sent: Wed, 25 November, 2009 17:48:24Subject: Re: Re: Meds

Becky, I can certainly feel your pain with the surgery as well as can relate to putting your head in the sand about this illness. I've been doing the same (other than being on this thread) with my disease as well. It seems like a miserable prognosis to have to "live like this" for the rest of my life. Honestly some days when I have had a flair up, haven't been able to sleep, and can't breathe I have thought to myself - how am I GOING to live like this. Let me tell you though - After not getting any sleep for the past 3-4 years, waking through the night to readjust myself to find a way to breathe - I finally broke down and went back to my ENT. He put me on a dose of oral steroids, back on steroid nasal spray, and back on singulair ( the 3 main arsenals for our disease).with 2 weeks of antibiotic for a sinus infection that I apparently had and didn't notice. After about 3 days on this regimen I

slept for about 4 days straight. Regaining the years and years of sleep deprivation that I've lived with. I even have a slight hint of being able to smell again which is like an awakening in itself. I even broke out in terrible hives and found now I'm allergic to Penicillin but I was still happy to have been able to sleep and smell slightly. After 10 days went back in for a cat scan to see if I was going to need surgery again (have only had one surgery back in 2005) and they said yes I will need another. So I'm scheduled for surgery Dec 10. Also, doctor is scheduled me for desensitization to start immediately as he wants me to have the desensitization before surgery to bring down the inflammation that is currently in my sinuses that will allow him better access to my sinuses - then allergist will ween me down prior to surgery - and vamp me back up after surgery. Even with all that - the terrible hives/rash all over my body

that took me to ER from my reaction to the antibiotic. The Doctor saying my sinuses look almost completely closed and I'll need surgery. The idea of having to go through desensitization - the ability to be able to just sleep through the night for the last week has convinced me that if I don't take care of this disease and progressively manage it my quality of life will be terrible. The last week I have felt 100 times better than I have in the past 3-4 years and hearing my doctor say that from the looks of things I should feel terrible still at this point - really made me put into perspective how far I have let this go and how far away from a normal quality of life I have let this get. It certainly helps to have this thread and I too don't want to have surgery but if it's surgery or having a miserable life and dread everyday as another day I have to fight to breathe. I have to choose surgery and do what I have to do to maintain my quality

of life - because we all know there is no cure at this point only maintenance. -BiancaBianca www.aigadesignjobs. org/Biafran907-830-9277

From: asfy <asfyso (DOT) fr>Subject: Re: Medssamters@groups .comDate: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 9:11 PM

Well, bone necrosis is something you really want to avoid because it canbe tricky to treat if it is too advanced. In fact, a good motivation togo back to surgery is that you have a good surgeon, since he was able torescue you successfully from that :-) But you can try an endoscopic swabbefore that as last resort.> > >> > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can> shed> > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair andfluticasone> > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me toadd> > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> wondering> > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> for> > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is$60.> > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i wasaspirin> > sensitive and have samter's triad.> >

>> >>

Bianca,

I do hope your upcoming surgery makes a big difference in how you feel and helps to keep the infections under control. I certainly can relate to not sleeping well. I seem to sleep, but will wake up about 4 to 6 times a night. I sleep on 3 pillows to help me breathe which unfortunately makes for a constant achy neck and upper back. I will keep my fingers crossed that desensitization makes a big difference for you. It sure did for me. Your in my thoughts.

Jane

From: asfy <asfyso (DOT) fr>Subject: Re: Medssamters@groups .comDate: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 9:11 PM

Well, bone necrosis is something you really want to avoid because it canbe tricky to treat if it is too advanced. In fact, a good motivation togo back to surgery is that you have a good surgeon, since he was able torescue you successfully from that :-) But you can try an endoscopic swabbefore that as last resort.> > >> > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can> shed> > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair andfluticasone> > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me toadd> > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> wondering> > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> for> > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is$60.> > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i wasaspirin> > sensitive and have samter's triad.> >

>> >>

Thanks so much Jane and Becky for the well wishes. Yes the 4-6 times a night awaking is so very familiar to me. I ended up moving to sleep on the couch about 2 years ago where I can sleep on the head rest which props my head up to get some air flow. uuughh isn't this a nightmare. we should invent a pillow for samters patients. :)Bianca

www.aigadesignjobs.org/Biafran

907-830-9277

>> >>

Great idea! The pillow could be big money!!!

>> >>

Bianca,Good luck with your surgery ; read the back posts here about pre-op and post-op care to be sure you make the best out of this surgery - be extra cautious to avoid reinfection before the mucosa heals properly (4-9 weeks). Irrigate as directed by the surgeon with sterile, lukewarm saline.Regarding penicillin allergy, it is not obvious to test, meaning the test may come out negative while you may still react, but in the case you should need penicillin some day in the future - some treatments require it - one can build a tolerance to it.--------------Int J Dermatol. 2009 May;48(5):488-91.Management of tolerance induction in patients with suspected penicillin allergy--a case study.Wessbecher R, Stangl S.Department

of Dermatology, Unit for Allergy and Environment, University Hospital

Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany.

Dr.med..Wessbecher@...BACKGROUND:

In some diseases penicillin is the treatment of choice. Case studies

have shown a good response for the treatment of circumscribed

scleroderma or scleroderma adultorum of Buschke. A suspected allergy to

penicillin in a patient's history may limit this helpful therapy

option. Allergy testing is often inconclusive. If indicated, tolerance

induction leading to therapy with penicillin can be carried out.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: We present two patients with circumscribed

sclerosis and scleredema Buschke, who had a suspected allergy to

penicillin. Due to limited therapy options and in insufficient response

to other therapeutics, the decision for a tolerance induction with

penicillin was made. Penicillin was successfully administered by

following a scheme of tolerance induction starting with oral doses and

ending with high doses of intravenous penicillin G. RESULTS: In both

cases, penicillin G, administered over a period of three weeks, was

well tolerated up to the high dose of 3 x 10 Mega IU/day. Substantial

clinical improvement was achieved in all cases without any

complications. CONCLUSION: This case study demonstrates that a

suspected allergy to penicillin does not preclude an eventual treatment

with this valuable drug. Allergy testing should routinely be carried

out first. If suspicion of an allergy persists, tolerance induction can

be attempted according to the new scheme described here. Starting with

a careful, initial oral dose regimen, treatment can be continued with

an increasing intravenous dose followed by maintenance therapy with

high-dose penicillin G. It should be clear that this policy is only

restricted for patients who are at risk for a hypersensitivity to

penicillin, i.e., because of a clinical manifested incompatibility in

the past.> > > > >> > > > > I am a new memeber to this group and I am wondering if anyone can> > > shed> > > > any light on the meds i am taking. Have been on advair and> > fluticasone> > > > for the last 3 years with good success. My doctor now wants me to> > add> > > > singulair to this regimine, have been on it for about a week,> > > wondering> > > > if it will improve things significantly. Have to admit the cost now> > > for> > > > the 3 of these each month is starting to add up, my share now is> > $60.> > > > Any suggestions from anyone. Should add that i have had 6 sinus> > > > surgeries and 4 major asthma attacks before i found out i was> > aspirin> > > > sensitive and have samter's triad.> > > > >> > > >> > >>

• 8 months later...

Yes, that is a lot of prednisone. That's 40 mg per day very high. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: "Melinda C" <mcasida57@...>Sender: samters Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:15:12 -0000<samters >Reply samters Subject: meds Ok... Dr. says I have a staff infection in my sinuses...he put me on doxycycline, singulair, and prednisone. My question is ..... Is prednisone 10mg 2 tabs morning and night a lot??? I wanted a low dose. I hate taking all these pills. Please help.

Have you ever done prednisone with antibiotics? if so...What dose were you? Melinda 29: 11 "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. "From: "samsmom6602@..." <samsmom6602@...>samters Sent: Sun, August 15, 2010 7:38:49 AMSubject: Re: meds

Yes, that is a lot of prednisone. That's 40 mg per day very high. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: "Melinda C" <mcasida57@...>

Sender: samters

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:15:12 -0000<samters >Reply samters

Subject: meds

Ok... Dr. says I have a staff infection in my sinuses...he put me on doxycycline, singulair, and prednisone. My question is ..... Is prednisone 10mg 2 tabs morning and night a lot??? I wanted a low dose. I hate taking all these pills. Please help.

Melinda, did your doctor prescribe you a taper of prednisone? It is very important to do a taper to a low dose so you don't shock your adrenal glands. I have been on high doses of prednisone in the past, but if I knew what I know now about it I would take as little prednisone as possible. Hope you feel better. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: Melinda Casida <mcasida57@...>Sender: samters Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:37:16 -0700 (PDT)<samters >Reply samters Subject: Re: meds Have you ever done prednisone with antibiotics? if so...What dose were you? Melinda 29: 11 "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. "From: "samsmom6602@..." <samsmom6602@...>samters Sent: Sun, August 15, 2010 7:38:49 AMSubject: Re: meds Yes, that is a lot of prednisone. That's 40 mg per day very high. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: "Melinda C" <mcasida57@...>Sender: samters Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:15:12 -0000<samters >Reply samters Subject: meds Ok... Dr. says I have a staff infection in my sinuses...he put me on doxycycline, singulair, and prednisone. My question is ..... Is prednisone 10mg 2 tabs morning and night a lot??? I wanted a low dose. I hate taking all these pills. Please help.

Yes, it is a taper. But I asked for a very low dose of it all together because I have had a bad reaction (10 years ago). Problem is that I don't remember how much the other doctor had given me....but it was high. Melinda 29: 11 "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. "From: "samsmom6602@..." <samsmom6602@...>samters Sent: Sun, August 15, 2010 8:54:56 AMSubject: Re: meds

Melinda, did your doctor prescribe you a taper of prednisone? It is very important to do a taper to a low dose so you don't shock your adrenal glands. I have been on high doses of prednisone in the past, but if I knew what I know now about it I would take as little prednisone as possible. Hope you feel better. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: Melinda Casida <mcasida57@...>

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:37:16 -0700 (PDT)<samters >Reply samters

Subject: Re: meds

Have you ever done prednisone with antibiotics? if so...What dose were you? Melinda 29: 11 "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. "From: "samsmom6602@..." <samsmom6602@...>samters Sent: Sun, August 15, 2010 7:38:49 AMSubject: Re: meds

Yes, that is a lot of prednisone. That's 40 mg per day very high. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: "Melinda C" <mcasida57@...>

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:15:12 -0000<samters >Reply samters

Subject: meds

Ok... Dr. says I have a staff infection in my sinuses...he put me on doxycycline, singulair, and prednisone. My question is ..... Is prednisone 10mg 2 tabs morning and night a lot??? I wanted a low dose. I hate taking all these pills. Please help.

As long as your not on prednisone a lot you should be fine since your tapering. I consider any amount over 5mg a day a lot of prednisone. It also depends on how much you were on when you had the reaction everyone handles it differently with different side effects. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: Melinda Casida <mcasida57@...>Sender: samters Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:09:43 -0700 (PDT)<samters >Reply samters Subject: Re: meds Yes, it is a taper. But I asked for a very low dose of it all together because I have had a bad reaction (10 years ago). Problem is that I don't remember how much the other doctor had given me....but it was high. Melinda 29: 11 "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. "From: "samsmom6602@..." <samsmom6602@...>samters Sent: Sun, August 15, 2010 8:54:56 AMSubject: Re: meds Melinda, did your doctor prescribe you a taper of prednisone? It is very important to do a taper to a low dose so you don't shock your adrenal glands. I have been on high doses of prednisone in the past, but if I knew what I know now about it I would take as little prednisone as possible. Hope you feel better. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: Melinda Casida <mcasida57@...>Sender: samters Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:37:16 -0700 (PDT)<samters >Reply samters Subject: Re: meds Have you ever done prednisone with antibiotics? if so...What dose were you? Melinda 29: 11 "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. "From: "samsmom6602@..." <samsmom6602@...>samters Sent: Sun, August 15, 2010 7:38:49 AMSubject: Re: meds Yes, that is a lot of prednisone. That's 40 mg per day very high. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: "Melinda C" <mcasida57@...>Sender: samters Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:15:12 -0000<samters >Reply samters Subject: meds Ok... Dr. says I have a staff infection in my sinuses...he put me on doxycycline, singulair, and prednisone. My question is ..... Is prednisone 10mg 2 tabs morning and night a lot??? I wanted a low dose. I hate taking all these pills. Please help.