RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

If your GP says he 'is done' with you, then you may have to take matters into your own hands. Many of us had to do that and it is not as scary as it sounds. The first step to doing that would be to buy Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield's book - "your Thyroid and how to keep it healthy" . You can order it from Amazon from this site:

http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/books.php

It is not expensive (under £ 10, I think) and ordering anything via this website will ensure that 5% will get back to the TPA. It won't cost you any more though. - Anyway, Dr. Peatfield is one of the medical advisors to the TPA and his book is brilliant. Absolutely everything you need to know about thyroid issues you will find in there. You may, at a later stage, even decide to go and have a private consultation with him, if you feel you can't go it alone. - But for now, reading his book from cover to cover would be a good start.

***I mentioned Adrenal fatigue to my doctor over the telephone on friday and he said it was unlikely as my electolytes and urea section on my blood test didn't suggest that would indicate Adrenal fatigue....

You won't get anywhere with any of the doctors or endos of the establishment - not even if you went privately. As far as they are concerned, adrenal fatigue does not exist.... The comment your GP made is correct from his point of view. Doctors only recognize the total failure of the adrenal function - which is an autoimmune conditions called 's disease. 's is an extremely serious and life threatening condition, because at this stage the adrenals no longer produce vital cortisol - and without any cortisol you die. An indication for primary 's would be unbalanced Electrolytes (very high potassium and very low sodium) as well as increased BUN and Creatinine readings, high Phosphorus and Calcium and so on....

And since you obviously do not have any such readings, your doctor assumes that you do not have any adrenal problem. - But there is a big difference between adrenal exhaustion or fatigue - which is what you are likely to suffer from - and adrenal insufficiency ('s). The clue is in the wording. Your adrenal function may well be knackered, but it would not be "insufficient". It is most likely still "sufficient", just too low for wellbeing. Doctors usually only recognize either 's or Cushing's (extreme conditions at opposite ends of the spectrum), but nothing in between. Adrenal fatigue, however, is extremely common, and since doctors don't help us here, we need to help ourselves by taking Nutri Adrenal Extra (NAX for short), Vit C and Q10, which is usually the minimum requirement. But your next step would be to find out just how bad your adrenal exhaustion really is. If you can afford it, the way to do that is to order a private salivary adrenal profile kit from Genova. Unfortunately that test will cost you £60 (and that is with a discount [usually it's £ 70] if you order the kit from below* and your GP is highly unlikely to acknowledge its very existence.... but *you* will know, and that's the main thing.

*In order to receive your test discount, please DO NOT order direct from their web site. Instead, contact Dr Nigel Abraham PhD, FIBMS of Genova Diagnostics in any of the following ways and quote Thyroid Patient Advocacy UK AS PRACTITIONER.

Tel +44(0)20 8336 7750

Tel +44(0)20 8336 7752 (Direct)

Email NAbraham@...

You do not need your doctor to do this for you (or to even know about it), and the results will be emailed straight to you. You can then post the results on here, and Sheila or others will explain them to you (although you also do get comments from the lab).

***Does anyone think I would benifit by visiting Bupa?

Not at this stage in my view. Do you think you would be successful in asking your GP for the FULL thyroid panel that I mentioned in my previous post? -or as a minimum at least check for Autoantibodies? - and perhaps all the minerals and vitamins mentioned? 'Anything' you can get out of your GP on NHS saves you money. You can have all of that done privately with Genova laboratories, but it'll cost.... If your GP will refuse, the best way to establish your thyroid status is with a 24 hour urinary thyroid screen from Genova... but that will cost you another £ 85 even with the discount (is usually £ 100). On top, I doubt that your GP would recognize such a test as "valid" since it is not NHS approved, so you would be nowhere nearer an NHS diagnosis, but frankly, if your doctor won't help you, then you have to help yourself. There are always ways around obstacles.....

But I am overloading you with information, and I realize you can't take all of that in just yet. Take it step by step and start by reading and sorting out your adrenal status for now.

All the best,

Guest guest

I have forwarded this message to the forum as Isobel sent it to

just me by mistake.

Luv - Sheila

NEW MEMBER - ISOBEL

I am a 46 year old female, normally fit and healthy and

taking no other medication. I was diagnosed with underactive

thyroid in July this year . This was discovered after a routine visit to

the optician, who discovered a spot at the back of my eye. An appointment

with an ophthalmologist was arranged who subsequently advised a visit to the GP

for blood tests. At this point I had dry eyes and sore joints but

wasn’t aware they were thyroid symptoms. To begin with,

my own GP had been checking for other conditions such as lupus and rheumatoid

arthritis so I was fairly relieved that it was “only” an

underactive thyroid, which I thought would be quite easy to treat. How

wrong I was. At this point I was being very active - swimming and

walking every day in the early morning. This was in an effort to lose

weight as I had gained one stone – I thought due to having given up smoking

6 months previously. I now know that this was yet another symptom.

My GP prescribed Teva Levothyroxine tablets 100 mcg once a

day. Within a matter of days of taking the medication I was starting to

suffer side effects – very restless legs, itchy skin, night sweats and

breathlessness. As the days progressed, I suffered hair loss,

constipation, severe joint pain (much worse than before – waking me up

during the night) and really disturbed sleep. Exercise at this

point became completely out of the question as I had no energy and was too sore

to even contemplate it. I became very depressed. After 3 weeks of

this, I went back to my doctor and she thought perhaps I had been put on too

high a dose too quickly. She cut my dose to half of what it had been.

I was then taking 50 mcg per day, to be reviewed after one month. None of

my side effects diminished in any way and I was still gaining weight due to an

increased appetite.

I went back to my GP after a month, crying like a baby, due

to feeling so bad, both physically and mentally. I should point out that

I had none of these problems before starting the medication. The GP said

there was nothing she could do until she got the result of blood

tests. Bloods were taken at this point, however after suffering for

another 2 days, I decided enough was enough and took the decision to stop my

medication. After a week, I went back for the blood results and the GP

said that I needed to take the medication as my thyroid was underactive.

The results were – TSH level 9.2, FT4 level 12.4 which meant nothing to

me, however I decided I wasn’t prepared to carry on feeling the way I had

been and didn’t want to go back on the mediation. I asked if there

was any alternative treatment. She said there was no other

treatment available and that I had no choice but to take the medication.

I still chose not to go back on the medication. My GP then said she would

arrange an emergency appointment with an endocrinologist.

Nine weeks later, I had my “emergency”

appointment with the endocrinologist (this was at the end of October).

During this time, I was still off the medication. My depression had

lifted. I still had joint pain but this was now manageable. I was

sleeping well so therefore wasn’t so tired during the day, however I

hadn’t managed to get back to exercising as I had been discouraged due to

the fact that my weight was still rising, despite my appetite returning to

normal and eating healthily. I am now 2 stone overweight and am finding

this is affecting my mental health. When I explained all my symptoms, the

endocrinologist conceded that he had no idea why I was feeling better despite

being on no medication. At this point I had done some research on the

internet and asked him about “armour” as I didn’t know

very much about it and T3 medication as I had read that it was good for joint

pain. He was extremely dismissive of both and raised his eyes as if

to say “not another internet patient”. After talking to his

Consultant, he said he wanted me to go back on the medication at 25 mcg per

day.

At this point I visited my GP again to let her see the

difference in my mental state after being off my medication for 9 weeks.

I felt well and was therefore very reluctant to go back on the medication,

albeit at a much reduced dosage, however I wanted to be seen as trying to try

to help myself, so agreed to take it. This time, I was given a different

brand, called Goldshield Levothyroxine. Yet again, within days restless

legs, restless sleep, breathlessness and constipation returned. However,

these did subside within a couple of weeks. The different brand, however

gave me one added side effect, i.e. hooded eyes which I hadn’t suffered

from before. I phoned the doctor to change the brand to see if it would

make any difference. I felt she was humouring me but she did agree to

change the brand and also told me to take it every second day which I

ignored. I felt, how on earth am I going to get better and lose weight if

I’m on such a small dose. The GP had prescribed 2 months supply,

which if I had followed her advice and taken it every second day, would have

lasted 4 months. I feel that she was therefore not expecting to monitor

this closely.

The brand was now changed yet again to CP Pharmaceuticals

which seems to have helped the eye problem, however my joint pain is getting

worse and restless sleep is getting me down as I am very tired. This in

turn is bringing back my depression. I have now been on this medication

for just over 2 weeks, the small dose for a month in total.

Yesterday I received my blood results from my visit to the

endocrinologist. These were only obtained at my request from the hospital

and after waiting nearly 4 weeks. Bearing in mind I had been off

the medication for 9 weeks approximately, the results were as follows –

TSH level 55, FT4 level 5.3 and TPO Antibody 518.70. Yet again, I have no

idea what this means. I have heard from neither the hospital nor my own

GP and am not due to see the endocrinologist again until January. I am

feeling dreadful and due to the fact I am a self-employed hairdresser and this

is my busiest working period in the year, I am finding it extremely hard

to cope.

I am writing to you to try and get some help and advice on

what course of action I should take to get back on track. Any information

you could give me on medication, diet, supplements, etc, in fact anything that

would help my predicament, would be much appreciated.

Use

Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts. Find out

how.

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.76/2519 - Release Date: 11/23/09

19:45:00

Guest guest

Hi ..

Thanks for the welcome....

My son is 40...has always been very fit and active ..He is finding this fatigue and pain very hard to bear....Maureen

2009/11/25 m W <karens.special1@...>

--

welcome Maureen-- I'm sure that ppl here will want to help you, but I am a lowly lol peon w/ no say. --- How old is your son.... You have gone to a lot of work for him I know I did too.

--Thank you for being wise enuf to wait then come back. Thanks, I think we are all real human.  ***********  karen michelli w   ** in br Louisiana********************************** 

From: Maureen Thornberry <berrymaur@...>Subject: new member Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 12:12 AM

Ok...I am a new member...I joined just before all the posts about " stuff " started flying....

Needless to say I decided to keep a low profile for a while...LOL

Now you seem to have sorted it out...I will jump in and introduce myself...and then you can ask me to leave if you wish...

My name is Maureen and I live in Australia... .I do not have Fibromyalgia [which is why you might not let me stay...]

However my son does have it...He is not very good at finding his way around the computer so I am knocking my head against a brick wall trying to find something to help him....

He lives at home with us now and is on disability support because of the fibro...

He contracted two very nasty debilitating viruses which has resulted in the fibro.....He is over these now....

He is not sleeping, even with sleeping pills from the doctor and no pain medication is working either.....

The only things that do help are natural supplements like magnesium powder, vit C and liquid herbs that support the immune system but even so he is in constant pain and exhausted all the time.....

We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat....I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....

I hope you let me stay because I think I could learn from your experiences. ..

By the way...I am a Christian... very tolerant of all faiths...I believe we are all entitled to be treated with respect and love...

Maureen

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...

[Author unknown]

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.

There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Maureen welcome to the group...we truly are a wonderful group just having a bit of a crack that needs repairing. As far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome here. I too have Fibro along with many many problems, as does many of us. We are a group with a lot of knowledge who can help you greatly. Glad you're here. in FL Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeedFrom: Maureen Thornberry <berrymaur@...>Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:12:56 +1000< >Subject: new member Ok...I am a new member...I joined just before all the posts about " stuff " started flying....Needless to say I decided to keep a low profile for a while...LOL Now you seem to have sorted it out...I will jump in and introduce myself...and then you can ask me to leave if you wish... My name is Maureen and I live in Australia....I do not have Fibromyalgia [which is why you might not let me stay...] However my son does have it...He is not very good at finding his way around the computer so I am knocking my head against a brick wall trying to find something to help him....He lives at home with us now and is on disability support because of the fibro... He contracted two very nasty debilitating viruses which has resulted in the fibro.....He is over these now.... He is not sleeping, even with sleeping pills from the doctor and no pain medication is working either.....The only things that do help are natural supplements like magnesium powder, vit C and liquid herbs that support the immune system but even so he is in constant pain and exhausted all the time.....We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat...I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....I hope you let me stay because I think I could learn from your experiences...By the way...I am a Christian... very tolerant of all faiths...I believe we are all entitled to be treated with respect and love...Maureen  -- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Welcome Maureen,

I am happy to have you. This is actually a great group with very supportive people especially Pam and Sue. We are just having a rough spot. Your son is very lucky to have you. Hope that you will get a lot out of being part of this group.

G (NC)

From: Maureen Thornberry <berrymaur@...>Subject: new member Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 7:12 PM

Ok...I am a new member...I joined just before all the posts about "stuff" started flying....

Now you seem to have sorted it out...I will jump in and introduce myself...and then you can ask me to leave if you wish...

My name is Maureen and I live in Australia... .I do not have Fibromyalgia [which is why you might not let me stay...]

However my son does have it...He is not very good at finding his way around the computer so I am knocking my head against a brick wall trying to find something to help him....

He lives at home with us now and is on disability support because of the fibro...

He contracted two very nasty debilitating viruses which has resulted in the fibro.....He is over these now....

He is not sleeping, even with sleeping pills from the doctor and no pain medication is working either.....

The only things that do help are natural supplements like magnesium powder, vit C and liquid herbs that support the immune system but even so he is in constant pain and exhausted all the time.....

We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat...I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....

By the way...I am a Christian... very tolerant of all faiths...I believe we are all entitled to be treated with respect and love...

Maureen

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Isobel,

It looks like you have hashimotos disease which is an auto immune problem where

the anti bodies attack the thyroid until it is destroyed and can't put out any

more hormones. This is shown by your raised level of anti bodies.

Lots of us on this forum have it, you can't cure it and you can't get rid of the

anti bodies. Fortunately you've found this forum which means you are in a good

place to learn about what you can do. Suggest you look in the files and read

everything you can. Then read it all again because you will need to be well

informed.

TSH levels (thyroid stimulating Hormone) are 1 in an average normal person.

Yours are at 55 so they are elevated, showing that the thyroid is not putting

out sufficient hormones. The standard treatment by the NHS is to give

replacement hormones in the form of thyroxine (T4), which is actually a storage

hormone, in the hope that your body will convert it into T3 which is the active

hormone you need. This does work for a while, for many people. The rest of us

eventually start to challenge the NHS system and use the knowledge gained from

this forum to challenge our doctors.

When you put test results on the forum, they are not really very much use

unless you have the lab reference ranges as different labs have different tsting

methods. Always get the results of any tests you have and get the ref ranges.

Keep them, as it's a useful tool to chart your progress. (or lack of it).

The reason you may have been suffering with the T4 may have been the fillers in

the tablets, or you may have had lots of thyroxine in your blood due to the

thyroid gland breaking down... someone more knowledgable than me might be able

to offer their opinion.

When your thyroid is struggling this much, your adrenal system will work

overtime to support your body. Ok for a while, but you need to be taking

medication to sort out the lack of thyroid hormones.

Have a look in the files and tick off all the symptoms of under active thyroid,

hair loss, constipation breathlessness, weight gain are just some of them....

Don't let the doctor fob you off with depression, and the myriad of different

symptoms don't need to be treated individually.. when the thyroid hormones are

optimised, all the different symptoms get better..

Read up, learn and ask questions about anything you can't grasp. It does get

better, but not on it's own without treatment.

> NEW MEMBER - ISOBEL

>

> I am a 46 year old female, normally fit and healthy and taking no other>

medication. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in July this year .

Bearing in mind I had been off the medication for 9 weeks

> approximately, the results were as follows - TSH level 55, FT4 level 5.3 and

> TPO Antibody 518.70. Yet again, I have no idea what this means. I have

> heard from neither the hospital nor my own GP and am not due to see the

> endocrinologist again until January. I am feeling dreadful and due to the

> fact I am a self-employed hairdresser and this is my busiest working period

> in the year, I am finding it extremely hard to cope.

>

> I am writing to you to try and get some help and advice on what course of

> action I should take to get back on track. Any information you could give

> me on medication, diet, supplements, etc, in fact anything that would help

> my predicament, would be much appreciated.

>

>

>

> _____

>

> Use Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts.

> Find out <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/> how.

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

> Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.76/2519 - Release Date: 11/23/09

> 19:45:00

>

Guest guest

Thanks G...

Yes I noticed the rough spot...lol

In my experience rough spots are Ok as long as members can move on...I think this group can...

I have lurked for a few days and you ...as a group...strike me as being caring and supportive of one another....Maureen

2009/11/25 Gaduyon <noerzmom@...>

Welcome Maureen,

I am happy to have you.  This is actually a great group with very supportive people especially Pam and Sue.  We are just having a rough spot. Your son is very lucky to have you.  Hope that you will get a lot out of being part of this group.

G (NC)

Subject: new member Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 7:12 PM

Ok...I am a new member...I joined just before all the posts about " stuff " started flying....

He lives at home with us now and is on disability support because of the fibro...

We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat...I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....

Maureen

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...

[Author unknown]

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.

There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Thank you also for the welcome...

Gosh I am going to have to work at sorting out the s.....How many of you are there?<smile>

Hugs...

Maureen

2009/11/25 <bookie0415@...>

Maureen welcome to the group...we truly are a wonderful group just having a bit of a crack that needs repairing. As far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome here. I too have Fibro along with many many problems, as does many of us. We are a group with a lot of knowledge who can help you greatly. Glad you're here. in FL Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:12:56 +1000

< >

Subject: new member

My name is Maureen and I live in Australia....I do not have Fibromyalgia [which is why you might not let me stay...]

I hope you let me stay because I think I could learn from your experiences...

Maureen

[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Hi Isobel, With a TSH of 55 no wonder you feel ill! your pituitary is screaming to your thyroid for more thyroid hormones. The high antibody level shows you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is destroying your thyroid- there isn't anything that can stop this ,so you must have some form of thyroid replacement. It appears that as you have varying reactions to different levothyroxine ( T4) meds you are sensitive to the fillers in some of the pills- this is not unusual but sadly have yet to fine one that suits. Eltroxin by Goldshield is usually tolerated better than some of the generics. I personally feel that the natural dessicated thyroid meds such as Armour are better than T4 only as they contain all the hormones that a healthy thyroid produces ( albeit in different ratios), but unfortunately are not licenced for use by he NHS. Some brave docs and Endos do prescribe, but are few and far between. you can do quite a lot to help yourself by supplementing vitamins and minerals such as zinc and selenium both of which are low in UK soils and are vital for T4 to T3 conversion ( T3 is the active hormone) otherthings such as systemic candida, low iron and adrenal insufficiency can also inhibit absorption of thyroid hormones. Lack of T3 causes depression- antidepressants won't cure this type of depression but the right thyroid meds will. If you are reading this from the website then just click on the files on the left hand side to find lots of useful info. thyroid treatment From: sheila@...Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:43:43 +0000Subject: FW: New Member

I have forwarded this message to the forum as Isobel sent it to

just me by mistake.

Luv - Sheila

NEW MEMBER - ISOBEL

I am a 46 year old female, normally fit and healthy and

taking no other medication. I was diagnosed with underactive

thyroid in July this year . This was discovered after a routine visit to

the optician, who discovered a spot at the back of my eye. An appointment

with an ophthalmologist was arranged who subsequently advised a visit to the GP

for blood tests. At this point I had dry eyes and sore joints but

wasn’t aware they were thyroid symptoms. To begin with,

my own GP had been checking for other conditions such as lupus and rheumatoid

arthritis so I was fairly relieved that it was “only” an

underactive thyroid, which I thought would be quite easy to treat. How

wrong I was. At this point I was being very active - swimming and

walking every day in the early morning. This was in an effort to lose

weight as I had gained one stone – I thought due to having given up smoking

6 months previously. I now know that this was yet another symptom.

My GP prescribed Teva Levothyroxine tablets 100 mcg once a

day. Within a matter of days of taking the medication I was starting to

suffer side effects – very restless legs, itchy skin, night sweats and

breathlessness. As the days progressed, I suffered hair loss,

constipation, severe joint pain (much worse than before – waking me up

during the night) and really disturbed sleep. Exercise at this

point became completely out of the question as I had no energy and was too sore

to even contemplate it. I became very depressed. After 3 weeks of

this, I went back to my doctor and she thought perhaps I had been put on too

high a dose too quickly. She cut my dose to half of what it had been.

I was then taking 50 mcg per day, to be reviewed after one month. None of

my side effects diminished in any way and I was still gaining weight due to an

increased appetite.

I went back to my GP after a month, crying like a baby, due

to feeling so bad, both physically and mentally. I should point out that

I had none of these problems before starting the medication. The GP said

there was nothing she could do until she got the result of blood

tests. Bloods were taken at this point, however after suffering for

another 2 days, I decided enough was enough and took the decision to stop my

medication. After a week, I went back for the blood results and the GP

said that I needed to take the medication as my thyroid was underactive.

The results were – TSH level 9.2, FT4 level 12.4 which meant nothing to

me, however I decided I wasn’t prepared to carry on feeling the way I had

been and didn’t want to go back on the mediation. I asked if there

was any alternative treatment. She said there was no other

treatment available and that I had no choice but to take the medication.

I still chose not to go back on the medication. My GP then said she would

arrange an emergency appointment with an endocrinologist.

Nine weeks later, I had my “emergency”

appointment with the endocrinologist (this was at the end of October).

During this time, I was still off the medication. My depression had

lifted. I still had joint pain but this was now manageable. I was

sleeping well so therefore wasn’t so tired during the day, however I

hadn’t managed to get back to exercising as I had been discouraged due to

the fact that my weight was still rising, despite my appetite returning to

normal and eating healthily. I am now 2 stone overweight and am finding

this is affecting my mental health. When I explained all my symptoms, the

endocrinologist conceded that he had no idea why I was feeling better despite

being on no medication. At this point I had done some research on the

internet and asked him about “armour” as I didn’t know

very much about it and T3 medication as I had read that it was good for joint

pain. He was extremely dismissive of both and raised his eyes as if

to say “not another internet patient”. After talking to his

Consultant, he said he wanted me to go back on the medication at 25 mcg per

day.

At this point I visited my GP again to let her see the

difference in my mental state after being off my medication for 9 weeks.

I felt well and was therefore very reluctant to go back on the medication,

albeit at a much reduced dosage, however I wanted to be seen as trying to try

to help myself, so agreed to take it. This time, I was given a different

brand, called Goldshield Levothyroxine. Yet again, within days restless

legs, restless sleep, breathlessness and constipation returned. However,

these did subside within a couple of weeks. The different brand, however

gave me one added side effect, i.e. hooded eyes which I hadn’t suffered

from before. I phoned the doctor to change the brand to see if it would

make any difference. I felt she was humouring me but she did agree to

change the brand and also told me to take it every second day which I

ignored. I felt, how on earth am I going to get better and lose weight if

I’m on such a small dose. The GP had prescribed 2 months supply,

which if I had followed her advice and taken it every second day, would have

lasted 4 months. I feel that she was therefore not expecting to monitor

this closely.

The brand was now changed yet again to CP Pharmaceuticals

which seems to have helped the eye problem, however my joint pain is getting

worse and restless sleep is getting me down as I am very tired. This in

turn is bringing back my depression. I have now been on this medication

for just over 2 weeks, the small dose for a month in total.

Yesterday I received my blood results from my visit to the

endocrinologist. These were only obtained at my request from the hospital

and after waiting nearly 4 weeks. Bearing in mind I had been off

the medication for 9 weeks approximately, the results were as follows –

TSH level 55, FT4 level 5.3 and TPO Antibody 518.70. Yet again, I have no

idea what this means. I have heard from neither the hospital nor my own

GP and am not due to see the endocrinologist again until January. I am

feeling dreadful and due to the fact I am a self-employed hairdresser and this

is my busiest working period in the year, I am finding it extremely hard

to cope.

I am writing to you to try and get some help and advice on

what course of action I should take to get back on track. Any information

you could give me on medication, diet, supplements, etc, in fact anything that

would help my predicament, would be much appreciated.

Use

Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts. Find out

how.

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.76/2519 - Release Date: 11/23/09

19:45:00

Add other email accounts to Hotmail in 3 easy steps. Find out how.

Guest guest

Isobel,

I've been studying selenium for over 10 years. Here are some studies

showing how important it is for the thyroid.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18679588?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.P\

ubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum & ordinalpos=2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18607401?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.P\

ubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum & ordinalpos=3

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18322655?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.P\

ubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum & ordinalpos=5

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17696828?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.P\

ubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum & ordinalpos=6

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17450242?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.P\

ubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum & ordinalpos=8

jenny stenning schrieb:

>

> Hi Isobel,

> With a TSH of 55 no wonder you feel ill! your pituitary is screaming

> to your thyroid for more thyroid hormones. The high antibody level

> shows you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is destroying your

> thyroid- there isn't anything that can stop this ,so you must have

> some form of thyroid replacement. It appears that as you have varying

> reactions to different levothyroxine ( T4) meds you are sensitive to

> the fillers in some of the pills- this is not unusual but sadly have

> yet to fine one that suits.

[Edit Abbrev Mod]

Guest guest

Rosie, I hope you feel better soon. I've been feeling bad too--have too much pain, stiffness and swelling, am grumpy and weepy. We've had about 4 days in a row of dreary, drizzley days, which isn't helping. Wish I could go sit in the sun like Louisiana .

I sent up a prayer for your return to good health, as far as you can get there.

Pam

Ok...I am a new member...I joined just before all the posts about "stuff" started flying....

My name is Maureen and I live in Australia....I do not have Fibromyalgia [which is why you might not let me stay...]

He lives at home with us now and is on disability support because of the fibro...

Maureen

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on...or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

--That sounds great, but pick a pepper is a jamaican spicy sauce. not sweet-- but delicious

From: Pam Horne <pamhornecarolina (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Re: new memberDate: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 2:40 PM

Rosie, I hope you feel better soon. I've been feeling bad too--have too much pain, stiffness and swelling, am grumpy and weepy. We've had about 4 days in a row of dreary, drizzley days, which isn't helping. Wish I could go sit in the sun like Louisiana .

I sent up a prayer for your return to good health, as far as you can get there.

Pam

We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat.....I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....

Maureen

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on...or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Ok...I have made a note of that....

Thank you...It takes a while to sort out who is who and it is harder when there is more than one memberwith the same name...I will get to know you all in time...

Maureen

My response was cut short. There is mW, G, S, and me R or in FL; either one is good. S and myself have been members here for a very long time just in case you hear something from back when. Welcome and good luck. Hugs R

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:14:50 +1000

< >

Subject: Re: new member

Gosh I am going to have to work at sorting out the s.....How many of you are there?<smile>

Hugs...

Maureen

Maureen welcome to the group...we truly are a wonderful group just having a bit of a crack that needs repairing. As far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome here. I too have Fibro along with many many problems, as does many of us. We are a group with a lot of knowledge who can help you greatly. Glad you're here. in FL Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

< >

Maureen

[Author unknown]

Guest guest

There

are definitely an abundance of ’s and I try myself trying to keep

track of who’s who by checking the email (when I can which has been a

challenge recently).

I’ll

add my welcome to the group also Maureen. How long ago was your son

diagnosed with Fibro and is he seeing a neurologist, allergist or some other

type of doctor for treatment? I’ve been having issues so I know you

said he’s 40 (not much older than me) and that he wasn’t able to

sleep right now but if you mentioned the doctors and what medications –

if any – he’s on I missed it.

Sherry

in PA

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Maureen Thornberry

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:22 PM

Thank you...It takes a while to sort out who is who and it

is harder when there is more than one member

with the same name...I will get to know you all in time...

Maureen

My response was cut short. There is mW,

G, S, and me R or in FL; either one is good. S and

myself have been members here for a very long time just in case you hear

something from back when. Welcome and good luck. Hugs R

Guest guest

is 40, so no chick..but your kids are always your babies aren't they?

He has always been very healthy and active then he contracted Dengue fever which is a mosquito borne tropical disease...he recovered from that and then went down with Ross River Fever also known as Pollyarthritis, another mosquito borne tropical disease....

..He was very ill with that and returned to work too soon and suffered a " burn out " ...now his blood tests show he is over the virus but he has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.....He is on a disability support pension because there is no way he can work....any effort leaves him exhausted....

I have ordered a book we were told would help... " Adrenal Fatigue, 21st century stress syndrome " by L ...have any of you read it? Hugs...

Maureen

2009/11/25 Pam Horne <pamhorne@...>

Hello Maureen and welcome to our family, of course we want you to stay.  How old is your son?

Pam

new member Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 7:12 PM

By the way...I am a Christian... very tolerant of all faiths..I believe we are all entitled to be treated with respect and love...

Maureen

[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Hello Sherry,

Thank you for the welcome....The fibro was only diagnosed a few months agoWhile the Ross river virus was still showing up as active in blood tests it confused everything because it also causes fatigue and pain......

He is under the care of our family GP who is very open and supportive of  natural treatments...He also sees a Rheumatologist ....

He is on medication for high blood pressure..which he never suffered before all this...anti-depressants and sleeping pills.. the anti-depressants are supposed to work with the sleeping pills to help him sleep...they don't work...

He has been on anti-inflammatory meds and pain killers which also didn't seem to help.....

He really wants to go off all the drugs because he doesn't feel any of them are helping and are probably hindering his body healing...

I should mention that he has done farm work most of his working life and has been exposed to chemicals...We both feel this is a factor and are leaning toward doing a detox...any thoughts on this?

hugs...

Maureen 

2009/11/26 MMU Morse Sherry <sherry.morse@...>

There are definitely an abundance of ’s and I try myself trying to keep track of who’s who by checking the email (when I can which has been a challenge recently).

I’ll add my welcome to the group also Maureen.  How long ago was your son diagnosed with Fibro and is he seeing a neurologist, allergist or some other type of doctor for treatment? I’ve been having issues so I know you said he’s 40 (not much older than me) and that he wasn’t able to sleep right now but if you mentioned the doctors and what medications – if any – he’s on I missed it.

Sherry in PA

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:22 PM Subject: Re: new member

Thank you...It takes a while to sort out who is who and it is harder when there is more than one memberwith the same name...I will get to know you all in time...

Maureen

My response was cut short. There is mW, G, S, and me R or in FL; either one is good. S and myself have been members here for a very long time just in case you hear something from back when. Welcome and good luck. Hugs R

Guest guest

Hi Maureen,

Did

they rule out Lyme disease too (assuming that’s even something that it’s

possible to get in Australia, I’m not sure on that) and any other viral

issues that could be causing his problems? I’m not trying to

imply that he doesn’t have fibro, but I’d just want to make sure

that anything else from thyroid issues to another virus has been ruled out

too. Unfortunately I’m not familiar with the book so can’t

comment on that.

Sherry

in PA

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Maureen Thornberry

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:31 PM

is 40, so no chick..but your kids are always your

babies aren't they?

He has always been very healthy and active then he

contracted Dengue fever which is a mosquito borne tropical disease...he

recovered from that and then went down with Ross River Fever also known as

Pollyarthritis, another mosquito borne tropical disease....

..He was very ill with that and returned to work too soon and

suffered a " burn out " ...now his blood tests show he is over the virus

but he has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.....He is on a disability support

pension because there is no way he can work....any effort leaves him

exhausted....

I have ordered a book we were told would

help... " Adrenal Fatigue, 21st century stress syndrome " by L

...have any of you read it?

Hugs...

Maureen

Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 7:12 PM

Ok...I am a new member...I joined just before all the

posts about " stuff " started flying....

Needless to say I decided to keep a low profile for a

while...LOL

Now you seem to have sorted it out...I will jump in and

introduce myself...and then you can ask me to leave if you wish...

My name is Maureen and I live in Australia... .I do not

have Fibromyalgia [which is why you might not let me stay...]

However my son does have it...He is not very good at

finding his way around the computer so I am knocking my head against a brick

wall trying to find something to help him....

He lives at home with us now and is on

disability support because of the fibro...

He contracted two very nasty debilitating viruses which

has resulted in the fibro.....He is over these now....

He is not sleeping, even with sleeping pills from the

doctor and no pain medication is working either.....

The only things that do help are natural supplements like

magnesium powder, vit C and liquid herbs that support the immune system but

even so he is in constant pain and exhausted all the time.....

We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very

little red meat...I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are

eliminating chemicals wherever we can....

I hope you let me stay because I think I could learn from

your experiences. ..

By the way...I am a Christian... very tolerant of all

faiths..I believe we are all entitled to be treated with respect and love...

Maureen

--

When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step

into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things

will happen.

There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...

[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Hello Rosie...

Thank you for the welcome....

I believe you are right and this is a great group...In the short time I have been lurking I could see that even with what was going on there was a lot of genuine concern for one another...

I hope you feel better soon...

hugs...

Maureen

Welcome Maureen to our fibro group. It is  a great group with good people who try and inform and help each other in our illnesses. I have fibro along with many other problems too. It seems if you get fibro you get all the other stuff little by little too. Right now I am in a flare up and not feeling good. I spent a lot of time in bed yesterday and today we have some rain which makes me feel worse.  Take care and have a wonderful day and glad you joined us here.

Rosie/Florida  

[Author unknown]

Guest guest

I don't think they checked him for Lyme...he has all the classic symptoms of Fibro...but I did wonder myself about Lyme..I will look into that further...

Thyroid was mentioned but I think his blood test was OK...not that he couldn't have low thyroid and still be in the normal range...Our GP said the best test was with a thermometer so I should buy one of those and brush up on what to do for that.......

Virus involvement has been the focus of the medical investigations because that is what he started with...He has actually had three..I only mentioned two because they were the worse ones....

Current blood tests show they are not active anymore...

Hugs...Maureen

2009/11/26 MMU Morse Sherry <sherry.morse@...>

Hi Maureen,

Did they rule out Lyme disease too (assuming that’s even something that it’s possible to get in Australia, I’m not sure on that) and any other viral issues that could be causing his problems?   I’m not trying to imply that he doesn’t have fibro, but I’d just want to make sure that anything else from thyroid issues to another virus has been ruled out too.  Unfortunately I’m not familiar with the book so can’t comment on that.

Sherry in PA

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:31 PM

is 40, so no chick..but your kids are always your babies aren't they?

He has always been very healthy and active then he contracted Dengue fever which is a mosquito borne tropical disease...he recovered from that and then went down with Ross River Fever also known as Pollyarthritis, another mosquito borne tropical disease....

..He was very ill with that and returned to work too soon and suffered a " burn out " ...now his blood tests show he is over the virus but he has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.....He is on a disability support pension because there is no way he can work....any effort leaves him exhausted....

I have ordered a book we were told would help... " Adrenal Fatigue, 21st century stress syndrome " by L ...have any of you read it? Hugs...

Maureen

By the way...I am a Christian... very tolerant of all faiths..I believe we are all entitled to be treated with respect and love...

Maureen

[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Yes you will, need any help just ask. R/FLSent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeedFrom: Maureen Thornberry <berrymaur@...>Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:21:49 +1000< >Subject: Re: new member Ok...I have made a note of that....Thank you...It takes a while to sort out who is who and it is harder when there is more than one memberwith the same name...I will get to know you all in time...Maureen2009/11/25 <bookie0415 >  My response was cut short. There is mW, G, S, and me R or in FL; either one is good. S and myself have been members here for a very long time just in case you hear something from back when. Welcome and good luck. Hugs R Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeedFrom: Maureen Thornberry <berrymaurgmail> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:14:50 +1000< >Subject: Re: new member  Thank you also for the welcome...Gosh I am going to have to work at sorting out the s.....How many of you are there?<smile>Hugs...Maureen2009/11/25 <bookie0415 >  Maureen welcome to the group...we truly are a wonderful group just having a bit of a crack that needs repairing. As far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome here. I too have Fibro along with many many problems, as does many of us. We are a group with a lot of knowledge who can help you greatly. Glad you're here. in FL Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeedFrom: Maureen Thornberry <berrymaurgmail> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:12:56 +1000< >Subject: new member  Ok...I am a new member...I joined just before all the posts about " stuff " started flying....Needless to say I decided to keep a low profile for a while...LOL Now you seem to have sorted it out...I will jump in and introduce myself...and then you can ask me to leave if you wish... My name is Maureen and I live in Australia....I do not have Fibromyalgia [which is why you might not let me stay...] However my son does have it...He is not very good at finding his way around the computer so I am knocking my head against a brick wall trying to find something to help him....He lives at home with us now and is on disability support because of the fibro... He contracted two very nasty debilitating viruses which has resulted in the fibro.....He is over these now.... He is not sleeping, even with sleeping pills from the doctor and no pain medication is working either.....The only things that do help are natural supplements like magnesium powder, vit C and liquid herbs that support the immune system but even so he is in constant pain and exhausted all the time.....We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat...I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....I hope you let me stay because I think I could learn from your experiences...By the way...I am a Christian... very tolerant of all faiths...I believe we are all entitled to be treated with respect and love...Maureen  -- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

Lyme disease, vitamin D deficiency, and hypothyroidism all have most of the same symptoms as fibro. As far as the thyroid tests go, get an endocrinologist to check it out. The usual thyroid tests are not always accurate.

Pam

Maureen

-- When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step into the darkness of the unknown: Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen.There will be solid ground to stand on....or you will be taught to fly...[Author unknown]

Guest guest

I had no idea there were that many of us? I can be Sharkling if that helps : ) - kind of a pet name I already have.

Let me know

G (NC)

From: <bookie0415 (DOT) com>Subject: Re: new memberDate: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 11:01 AM

My response was cut short. There is mW, G, S, and me R or in FL; either one is good. S and myself have been members here for a very long time just in case you hear something from back when. Welcome and good luck. Hugs R Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

<>

Hugs...

Maureen

2009/11/25 <bookie0415 (DOT) com>

<>

We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat....I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....

Maureen

Guest guest

Since the 's don't mind except for one last that we haven't heard from; how about we either just use our names and our last name initial. From what I remember our last names all start with a different letter, or we can use nicknames. How about we leave that up to the co-owners, Sue and Pam: Let me know what you all think. R.

From: <bookie0415 (DOT) com>Subject: Re: new memberDate: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 11:01 AM

My response was cut short. There is mW, G, S, and me R or in FL; either one is good. S and myself have been members here for a very long time just in case you hear something from back when. Welcome and good luck. Hugs R Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

<>

Hugs...

Maureen

<>

Maureen

Guest guest

---Fine by me,,, in another group we went by 1,2,3,4 lol I just want life to be easy for everyone. so we have more energy to deal w/ other stuff. I was just told by another group owner that everyone has to delete past e-mail address sothat others can't get our addresses. suposed to be in tools but I couldn't find it in o. karen mw

<>

Hugs...

Maureen

<>

We eat a lot of veggies, fish, some chicken and very little red meat.....I have bought a reverse osmosis water purifier and we are eliminating chemicals wherever we can....

Maureen

Guest guest

Oh My,,Well I am sure glad there aren't that many Leahs. LOL

Leah T.

Maureen