RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Armour thyroid and weight loss

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If you would like to, let us know a typical days diet including all drinks, water or alcohol and we will try to see what is happening it must be something that you are particularly anti and will only cause you to gain/retain your weight although your calories seem to be pretty good.

Luv nne

All that said, despite being on Armour for 3 years, now (and despite all the genuinely wonderful differences it has made to my life and my health in general) I am still a depressing 6 stone overweight. I eat consume around 2000 cals per day and burn off a minimum of 500 (usually 700) with through exercise; so sadly I don't have any solutions on that front. I do know, though, that feeling good is every bit as satisfying as looking good :-)

All the very best to you x

Guest guest

Hi

Regarding references for TSH research papers and studies carried out over the past few years, go to our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk and click on Information for Medical Practitioners. Then click on "Thyroid References" and you can find an enormous amount. It might take some time, but see if there are any the cover your son's circumstances and take the info. to your GP. Your son MUST listen to you and us that his doctor could be doing great harm to him by not treating him with such a high TSH.

Luv - Sheila

Re: Re: Armour thyroid and weight loss

Dear Fran

I am the lady who wrote a post about my son being diagnosed as borderline hypo despite his TSH being 9.5. So no medication. Like, yourself, he is a rower and has won many medals and trophies so I can sympathise with you when you say you train very hard on and off the water. Rowing is an extremely hard sport and very demanding on the body. However, I did e-mail the helpful advice that yourself, Sheila and the other ladies kindly sent to me. So far no response from him. I am worried because my son is due to take part in the Boston Rowing Indoor Championships in February and without receiving some form of medication, I feel his health will surely suffer. I have urged him to tell his doctor about the Championships when he goes to see her in February, hopefully, before he leaves for Boston. I also wanted to say how much I understand what you say about weight loss. You, no doubt, train very hard and deserve to be slim and trim, but I am heartened to read that you are doing so well on Armour. Armour must truly work for you. If I were young, there is no way that I could put in the amount of effort required as a rower, if I were to take thyroxine(T4) alone which, unfortunately, I do at the moment. So I will be urging my son to see an endocrinologist (as Sheila stressed) asap, even though he thinks I am a possessive, nagging mum. .Fran Brennan <franpepperface (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

....I saw a different GP... He told me that it was down to exercise and portion control!!!! I could have slapped him...

< DIV>You shouldn't have held back, Deb. A slap is probably exactly what he deserved.

The last time I sat in front of a GP he rather loftily and patronisingly enquired as to whether I'd, "...ever even considered the possibility of doing any exercise?". He did at least have the decency to blush when I pointed out that I use an indoor rower 6 to 8 hours a week, am on-water training for 3 hours a week (in all weathers and sea conditions) and that along with my crewmates I had recently achieved World Champion status and had the medal to prove it.

All that said, despite being on Armour for 3 years, now (and despite all the genuinely wonderful differences it has made to my life and my health in general) I am still a depressing 6 stone overweight. I eat consume around 2000 cals per day and burn off a minimum of 500 (usually 700) with through exercise; so sadly I don't have any solutions on that front. I do know, though, that feeling good is every bit as satisfying as looking good :-)

All the very best to you x

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date: 10/01/2008 13:32

Guest guest

I think that this may be one of the contradictory things hypo is known for.

I got stiff joints that were sorted by reducing T4 anf taking more T3.

Sheila had the same and she sorted hers by taking more T4 and less T3. I

think that you'll only find out by trying.

You might also like to read http://www.drlowe.com

>Hi I was off work for 2 weeks due to being in

excruciating pain in my shoulder, and I couldnt move it, but xray

showed nothing was wrong and it seems ok now apart from this pain

that is still there.

Deb x

> -----

Guest guest

> >>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date:

06/01/2008 11:57

>

Guest guest

One of the side effects of undiagnosed hypoT is narrowed arteries and angina which causes shortness of breath (I know because I was diagnosed with these in 2000 with a TSH of 8 but still no diagnosis) try taking CoQ10 at a minimum of 240mg a day for 5 days, if you notice an improvement, you need to have your heart checked by the hospital. This is not as scary as it sounds honest.

Luv nne

As regards getting short of breath, I'd get your B12, ferritin and even magnesium checked. Don't just accept being told they are normal,

Guest guest

Hi Deb Sorry to butt in I was on 100 mg T3 and felt great, Dr Lowe http://www.drlowe.com/index.htm has been on T3 only for 28 years and recently did a newsletter about long term use of t3 and how safe it was, sorry can't find the newsletter. Hope this helps Carolinelooby_1964 <carterloobyloo@...> wrote: >Hi Sheila,I cut back on my T3 meds from 30mcg to 20 mcg because another GP told me that I would end up with Marty Feldman eyes I f was to continue.I felt ok on that doe, and it seems that a reduction in T3 and different brands of thyroxine have knocked me for 6 again grrrrr.My blood results were 8.8 for T3 (3.5 -6.5) T4 22 and TSH 0.01. .

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Hi Deb

Good luck in your 'interview' with your GP. Keep us advised and I will cross everything in the hope he will actually listen to you. Doctors are SUPPOSED to be working with their patients. I hope he refers you to Dr Burrows, who has a growing reputation. Such idiotic GP's as the one telling you that you would end up with Marty Feldman eyes has no idea what he is talking about. Remind me what amount of T4 you were on before you had your last blood test.

Luv - Sheila

I cut back on my T3 meds from 30mcg to 20 mcg because another GP told me that I would end up with Marty Feldman eyes I f was to continue.I felt ok on that doe, and it seems that a reduction in T3 and different brands of thyroxine have knocked me for 6 again grrrrr.My blood results were 8.8 for T3 (3.5 -6.5) T4 22 and TSH 0.01.Im also finding that when Im walking up hills I get out of breath really quickly, and wondering whether or not my iron could be low again?Will let you know what the doc says when Ive beendDeb x>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 12/01/2008 14:04

Guest guest

OMG! I just googled Marty feldman, what d'ya reckon, he must have

had some sort of thyroid problem? Probably hyperthyroid I guess.

Poor man.

Okay, so I've been on mainly T3 for probably 9 months now and I can

assure you that I don't look like Marty Feldman and I can't think

why your doc thinks you will.

As regards getting short of breath, I'd get your B12, ferritin and

even magnesium checked. Don't just accept being told they are

normal, get results and ranges as normal to many is low to us. I

wonder if you aren't converting too well? The fact that you seem to

be missing the T3 so much does make me wonder and of course you've

been really messed about on your T4.

Incidentally, some people do well with over the range T3 although

your result does seem a bit high!

I really hope that you got on okay today at the GP's.

Luv Bella

>

>

> >Hi Sheila,

> Im seeing my GP tonight, as I feel really down in the dumps again

and

> tired.Ive put on another 5lbs, and its all down to the 3 different

> brands of thyroxine that ive been given. Ive been on them for a

month

> now and Ive a nother month go, so Im going to ask him to put on

all

> my prescriptions the brand of thyroxine. Im also going to ask him

> about armour, and Im going to leave him with all the info, on it

> thenask him to refer my to Dr Burrows at Huddersfield Royal, as I

> live in Hudds.

> I cut back on my T3 meds from 30mcg to 20 mcg because another GP

told

> me that I would end up with Marty Feldman eyes I f was to

continue.I

>

Guest guest

>Hi Sheila,

My GP has referred me to Dr Burrows! and whats more....... I see him

on Mon 28 Jan!!! WOW! Im hoping he's going to help me now.

My GP's face fell when he saw me (it always does) I dont know why, my

hubby thinks its because I know more than him, and thats all down to

you and everyone else on here, shame the docs won't join and learn!

My GP has put on my prescription, with regards to brands of

thyroxine, no goldshield or ivaxa brands, but ive got home and low

and behold ive got another 3 different named brands! Why oh why cant

they see that its the different brands that cause the problems?

Looks like im going to be back at square 1 before I see Dr Burrows!

In reply to your question about how much thyroxine im on Sheila,its

175mcg along with 20 mcg T3 ( was 30mcg T3 till this other GP told me

id be like Marty Feldman)

I do hope Dr Burrows is a nice man and one that you can talk to. Is

he?

Deb x

> > Good luck in your 'interview' with your GP. Keep us advised. I

hope he refers you to Dr Burrows, who has a growing reputation. Such

idiotic GP's as the one telling you that you would end up with Marty

Feldman eyes has no idea what he is talking about. Remind me what

amount of T4 you were on before you had your last blood test.

>

>

>

> >

>

----------

>

>

>

Guest guest

>Hi Caroline,

Butt in all you like! Thanks for that it makes for very interesting

reading.... maybe I have a resistance? Anyway I will soon find out when

I see Dr Burrows in 2 weeks. Im getting excited at ther prospect of

seeing this man, I hope he is a nice man :)

And Bella,it looks like Marty Feldman could be hyper with those eyes,

you can see why I cut back on my meds , I so dont want to look like

that!

Deb x

> >

> Sorry to butt in I was on 100 mg T3 and felt great, Dr Lowe

http://www.drlowe.com/index.htm has been on T3 only for 28 years and

recently did a newsletter about long term use of t3 and how safe it

was, sorry can't find the newsletter.

>

> Hope this helps

> Caroline

>

>> I cut back on my T3 meds from 30mcg to 20 mcg because another GP

told

> me that I would end up with Marty Feldman eyes >

>

> ---------------------------------

>

Guest guest

http://www.drugs.com/levothyroxine.html

What should I avoid while taking levothyroxine?Do not change brands or change to a generic levothyroxine drug product without first asking your doctor. Different brands of levothyroxine may not work the same. If you get a prescription refill and your new pills look different, talk with your pharmacist or doctor. Read especially http://www.journalclub.org/vol2/a47.html

....and by the way - I ha\ve heard that Dr B is a lovely gentleman and he does listen to you.

Luv - Sheila

My GP has referred me to Dr Burrows! and whats more....... I see him on Mon 28 Jan!!! WOW! Im hoping he's going to help me now.My GP's face fell when he saw me (it always does) I dont know why, my hubby thinks its because I know more than him, and thats all down to you and everyone else on here, shame the docs won't join and learn!My GP has put on my prescription, with regards to brands of thyroxine, no goldshield or ivaxa brands, but ive got home and low and behold ive got another 3 different named brands! Why oh why cant they see that its the different brands that cause the problems?Looks like im going to be back at square 1 before I see Dr Burrows! In reply to your question about how much thyroxine im on Sheila,its 175mcg along with 20 mcg T3 ( was 30mcg T3 till this other GP told me id be like Marty Feldman)I do hope Dr Burrows is a nice man and one that you can talk to. Is he?Deb x

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 12/01/2008 14:04

Guest guest

Hi Deb

I too am under the care of Dr Burrows, he has just put me on 10 mcg of

T3 to add to my previous dose of 75 mcg levothyroxine. He is very nice

and understanding and does take the time to listen to your symptoms.

As a word of warning do double check that you are down to see him and

not his registrar. I had specifically requested an appointment with

him but was called through to see his registrar, however when I asked

to see Dr Burrows they agreed but I then had to wait for him to see

all his other patients first. Good luck let us know how you get on.

Love Lizzie

>

>

> >Hi Sheila,

> My GP has referred me to Dr Burrows! and whats more....... I see him

>

Guest guest

> Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for the warning! Did you only find out when the registrar called

you or was you made aware of it when you got to reception for you

appointment? Think I will ask when im booking in that its definately Dr

Burrows and not his sidekick! Does anyone know what Dr Burrows

understudy is like?

Deb x

> > I too am under the care of Dr Burrows, .

> As a word of warning do double check that you are down to see him and

> not his registrar. I had specifically requested an appointment with

> him but was called through to see his registrar, > to see Dr Burrows

they agreed but I then had to wait for him to see

> all his other patients first.

Guest guest

>Hi nne,

Im going for a blood test tommorrow to check my ferritin and iron

count, so will see what that says. I work in the hospital so should be

able to get my results tommorrow , and if it shows that my levels are

fine i will get some of the CoQ10 and try it. Im worried now! I dont

want heart disease im only 43!

Deb x

>

> One of the side effects of undiagnosed hypoT is narrowed arteries

and angina

> which causes shortness of breath try taking CoQ10 at a minimum

> of 240mg a day for 5 days, if you notice an improvement, you need to

have

> your heart checked by the hospital. This is not as scary as it

sounds honest.

>

>

Guest guest

--Hi Debs

Yes I only found out when the registrar called me. I had checked

previously on two occasions that I was booked in with Dr Burrows and

had been told that I was.

Love Lizzie

Guest guest

This is good advice Lizzie. To everybody who has asked to be referred to a SPECIFIC doctor, please, when you receive an appointment, telephone the appointment clerk and ask that you see nobody else apart from the doctor you have been referred to. Being in a 'team' does not make all the doctors in that team diagnose and treat in the same way - oh no no no no no! I have heard horror stories from patients who have been put with certain of the other doctors in the clinic and I therefore insist that I have the name of my lovely endocrinologist put large on the front of my medical notes so they will only send me an appointment when he has his clinic.

Luv - Sheila

Hi DebI too am under the care of Dr Burrows, he has just put me on 10 mcg ofT3 to add to my previous dose of 75 mcg levothyroxine. He is very niceand understanding and does take the time to listen to your symptoms.As a word of warning do double check that you are down to see him andnot his registrar. I had specifically requested an appointment withhim but was called through to see his registrar, however when I askedto see Dr Burrows they agreed but I then had to wait for him to seeall his other patients first. Good luck let us know how you get on.Love Lizzie>> > >Hi Sheila,> My GP has referred me to Dr Burrows! and whats more....... I see him >

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1224 - Release Date: 14/01/2008 17:39

Guest guest

HI Deb

Please don't go down the road of thinking you might be OK with Dr Burrows 'understudy' - there is ONLY Dr B who will think 'outside the box' and the rest are very mainstream practitioners. This is why we insist you see nobody else. I have a wonderful endocrinologist at Airedale who recommends Armour for me and for many of his patients whereas, right next door is the witch from hell who, when patients ask for Armour - has a pile of printouts of the British Thyroid Associations Statement on Armour thyroid and she hands one of these to the patient saying "...THAT's why I will not recommend Armour, basically it is dangerous". When one patient had this sheet handed to her, I wrote to that particular endocoprat and gave her a few facts (in the nicest possible way of course). She never responded - but I believe is still handing out those sheets. This is why I am trying to find the hundreds of references to add to my response to the BTA statements. I believe they are responsible for the thousands of sufferers out here not getting a proper diagnosis or treatment .

Luv - Sheila

Re: Armour thyroid and weight loss

> Hi Lizzie,Thanks for the warning! Did you only find out when the registrar called you or was you made aware of it when you got to reception for you appointment? Think I will ask when im booking in that its definately Dr Burrows and not his sidekick! Does anyone know what Dr Burrows understudy is like? Deb x> > I too am under the care of Dr Burrows, .> As a word of warning do double check that you are down to see him and> not his registrar. I had specifically requested an appointment with> him but was called through to see his registrar, > to see Dr Burrows they agreed but I then had to wait for him to see> all his other patients first.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1224 - Release Date: 14/01/2008 17:39

Guest guest

Hi Sheila

Your Endocrinologist in Airedale is it Airedale thats in Castleford and

if so is he NHS?

Thanks

Chan

>

> HI Deb

>

> Please don't go down the road of thinking you might be OK with Dr

Burrows 'understudy' - there is ONLY Dr B who will think 'outside the

box' and the rest are very mainstream practitioners. This is why we

insist you see nobody else. I have a wonderful endocrinologist at

Airedale who recommends Armour for me and for many of his patients

whereas,

Guest guest

Hi Bella,

Yes he was hyper. Following treatment he chose not to have surgery

on his eyes.

OMG! I just googled Marty feldman, what d'ya reckon, he must have

had some sort of thyroid problem? Probably hyperthyroid I guess.

Poor man.

>

>

> >Hi Sheila,

> Im seeing my GP tonight, as I feel really down in the dumps again

and

> tired.Ive put on another 5lbs, and its all down to the 3 different

> brands of thyroxine that ive been given. Ive been on them for a

month

> now and Ive a nother month go, so Im going to ask him to put on

all

> my prescriptions the brand of thyroxine. Im also going to ask him

> about armour, and Im going to leave him with all the info, on it

> thenask him to refer my to Dr Burrows at Huddersfield Royal, as I

> live in Hudds.

> I cut back on my T3 meds from 30mcg to 20 mcg because another GP

told

> me that I would end up with Marty Feldman eyes I f was to

continue.I

>

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Guest guest

Hi Deb,

Don't let idiots worry you about T3. You'd only be likely to get

thyroid eye disease if you were to take enough t3 to make you truly

hyperactive- you'd get all sorts of uncomfortable symptoms long before that

stage! And NOT gaining weight.

A few of us need a very high dose level and over range results to feel

well- me included. It is important to not take meds on the day of the blood

test until after blood has been drawn- best to book an early one, otherwise

having taken your meds you can end up with a result that shows an

unnaturally high T4 and T3.

I cut back on my T3 meds from 30mcg to 20 mcg because another GP told

me that I would end up with Marty Feldman eyes I f was to continue.I

felt ok on that doe, and it seems that a reduction in T3 and

different brands of thyroxine have knocked me for 6 again grrrrr.

Deb x

> >

>

>

>

> >>

>

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date:

06/01/2008 11:57

>

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Guest guest

> Hi Sheila,

Thanks for that. I will make sure that i see only Dr B.

I just hope that Im going to be on the road to full recovery when ive

seen him.

Any suggestions as to what to say to him please Sheila?

I know that I must remember to tell him about the pain in my right arm

in the upper muscle that Ive had since being diagnosed with hypoT.(it

came on a few weeks after)

Do I mention the fact that my weight wont budge no matter what I do,

and that i have actually put on 5lbs since my last prescription had 3

different brands of thyroxine in it, as well as feeling tired and

lethargic? I get flumoxed really easily when im trying to explain how i

feel and my symptoms, probably due to the fact that my GPs face falls

whenever he sees me!

Deb x

> >

> Please don't go down the road of thinking you might be OK with Dr

Burrows 'understudy' - there is ONLY Dr B who will think 'outside the

box' and the rest are very mainstream practitioners. This is why we

insist you see nobody else. >

Guest guest

>Hi ,

Thankyou for those words of wisdom. I have now put my T3 back up to

30mcg! I know in the past that Ive taken 40mcgs for a few days and not

felt ill, so Im not going to listen to the idiotic docs anymore!

Im just going to listen to veryone on here.

Can I just ask, that if I was to go down the road of medicating myself,

how do I stand when I have blood tests that show my T3 is high, and the

doc wants me to reduce the dose? Could I be struck off?

Deb x

>

> Don't let idiots worry you about T3. > A few of us need a

very high dose level and over range results to feel

> well- me included. > ----------

> >

> >

> > >

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Chan

No, it is Airedale as in Keighley, Yorkshire - and yes, he is NHS.

Hi SheilaYour Endocrinologist in Airedale is it Airedale thats in Castleford and if so is he NHS?ThanksChan---

Guest guest

Hi Deb

Go to our Files and you will find one called "First visit to Endocrinologist". Have a look at the information there. Hopefully, it will tell you what you need to do, what quesitons to ask, what to take with you etc. If you need more info - just shout....and yes, also mention what you state below. It is ALWAYS a good idea to write down all your questions, and also, take somebody with you so they can prompt you if you forget anything.

Luv - Sheila

> Hi Sheila,Thanks for that. I will make sure that i see only Dr B. I just hope that Im going to be on the road to full recovery when ive seen him.Any suggestions as to what to say to him please Sheila? I know that I must remember to tell him about the pain in my right arm in the upper muscle that Ive had since being diagnosed with hypoT.(it came on a few weeks after)Do I mention the fact that my weight wont budge no matter what I do, and that i have actually put on 5lbs since my last prescription had 3 different brands of thyroxine in it, as well as feeling tired and lethargic? I get flumoxed really easily when im trying to explain how i feel and my symptoms, probably due to the fact that my GPs face falls whenever he sees me!Deb x> > > Please don't go down the road of thinking you might be OK with Dr Burrows 'understudy' - there is ONLY Dr B who will think 'outside the box' and the rest are very mainstream practitioners. This is why we insist you see nobody else. >

Guest guest

>>>and the doc wants me to reduce the dose? Could I be struck off?<<<

When my GP was told that I was taking T3 (which had been prescribed by a private doctor) he was very annoyed. He said he would treat me for everything else but not for the thyroid (although he did still have blood tests done). He was very annoyed that my TSH was 0.01 and kept saying I was hyper and should not be taking so much.

He didn't say anything but whenever I went to him for something else he would not treat me saying that the remedy was in my own hands (e.g. stop the T3). In the end I had no alternative but to change doctors. What annoyed me was that he was so against T3 but had obviously not bothered to study it otherwise he would have known that T3 suppresses the TSH and he should also have looked at the T4 which was nearer middle or below middle in the range.

However, the endo I had then was the same too.

Lilian