RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Wash your foods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Very true Caroline... cukes have a wax coating for sure.

I just read that commercially grown foods (cukes, green peppers, apples etc) no longer have a wax coating on them. They have developed a type of plastic coating which will not come off no matter what you do. You can't wash it off, scrape it off, scrub it off. Also, any produce that has seeds inside should be de-seeded. The pesticides are also in the seeds.

Gloria

Guest guest

When I can find some organic

stuff...I may rinse...but I don't wash like I do with stuff from the

grocery store.

Same here. When I go right to the farm to buy organic it is usually just picked and covered with dirt. I just do a good rinse with water on that stuff. I've never washed any produce with both soap and water, though.

Gloria

Guest guest

I do when it comes from the grocery store.

Even use soap and water with lettuce and leafy greens???

Gloria

Guest guest

I don't usually buy from the local supermarkets, I usually get my

produce from the local farmers markets

Same here, Don. I go to a big local farmer's markket every week and can get everything I want...in the warm months! This year there is a farmer who grows wonderful corn, cukes, beans (all kinds), tomatoes (the best!), beets, squashes etc. He has a big sign up that states "no pesticides or sprays". I've been buying almost everything from him every week. Yesterday he informed me next week will be his last week. It doesn't pay him to haul everything from the farm to the market for one day. I guess not when his cukes are 10 for $1.00 and huge zucchini and yellow squash are 5 for $1.00. I'll definitely miss him because totally no-spray produce isn't easy to find, even at the farmers market. But at least the local farmers don't wax/plasticize their produce or crop dust them. And once something has stopped growing you can't find it. The growing season for lettuce is over and the only lettuce around is shipped in. So I have to go to the grocery store for organic lettuce now.

Gloria

Guest guest

from the neighbor farm is one thing.. .but the stores have wax, pesticides, etc... I'll wash mine from there...

We're lucky to have a mega chain supermarket that has a line of organic produce. Years ago there was a rumor that a Whole Foods might be coming into our area. (The closest one is an hour away). Suddenly our local chain completely revamped their format and launched a whole organic produce section with organic leaf lettuce, collards, leeks, onions, carrots, kale, spring mix, fruit etc. ...the whole nine yards, often at pretty low prices. And now they are offering organic meat and poultry. Then they built 5 more of their mammoth stores in the area...each one getting bigger and bigger! Even Whole Foods couldn't compete with them now. I'm sure that was their plan.

Gloria

Guest guest

lifted his leg on the side of the barrel.

I've thought about that when I pick herbs from my garden. I think Hmmm....maybe a critter took a leak on my garden last night. LOL! So I rinse it off with water first.

Gloria

Guest guest

I never buy the commercial cukes, just the "English" ones that are in the plastic wrapper.

I actually bought one of those a few weeks ago. First time. They are pretty good!

Gloria

Guest guest

There's that "G" word again.

There was something that happened...recently in the news. There was a big function somewhere or other and all these people started getting very sick. Very sick. They traced it back to the ice machine. The servers were supposed to wear gloves on their hands when they scooped ice, but one server didn't. Turns out there was some bacterial thing they found that this person had on their hands and they contaminated the ice with it. It was just about 2 weeks ago.

Gloria

Guest guest

I rinse all my veggies no matter where I buy them. You never know what's crawled on them and maybe they left something behind. lol. :o))

I was once buying organic scallions in our grocery store when a nearby shopper came up to me and asked why I was getting organic ones because they are yucky...all full of dirt and bugs and stuff like that. LOL!

Gloria

Guest guest

Well, most of what I eat in the way of greens I get from a local producer and I mean local. I know the man, I know his family. The rest I get at our local co-op.

Part of the problem of "disease" in the world is we are too clean. People are obessed with being clean. And besides, you can't catch anything. And before you ask, I will not get into the discussion here. I've brought this up before, but the germ theory is bogus. Here's a link to explain it much better than I:

http://www.rawschool.com/disease.htm

I am not concerned with germs because germs do not make us sick. We make us sick.

Shari

Guest guest

I think the wash your foods concept is more for non organic

foods...to try and wash off some of the yucky stuff that is put onto

our fruits and vegetables when we have no opportunity to purchase

from a local organic vendor or find good organic fruits and vegetables.

I know that when I buy from the grocery store...I wash everything

with soap and water...cause who knows what toxins they have sprayed

on there...and I am sure there is stuff inside...but at least I can

get the garbage off of the outside. When I can find some organic

stuff...I may rinse...but I don't wash like I do with stuff from the

grocery store.

Just my nickels worth...

Caroline

--

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.4/399 - Release Date: 7/25/2006

Guest guest

when I'm at true foods and wild oats,,it is amazing how people cough or sneeze etc in the produce section.. that is one reason I wash mine.. when I had my garden, I always had the cats, chickens, birds, etc in there doing their business.. so needless to say.. I have always washed mine... sometimes with just acv and water. SuziSV <shavig@...> wrote: Well, most of what I eat in the way of greens I get from a local producer and I mean local. I know the man, I know his family. The rest I get at our local co-op. Part of the problem of "disease" in the world is we are too clean. People are obessed with

being clean. And besides, you can't catch anything. And before you ask, I will not get into the discussion here. I've brought this up before, but the germ theory is bogus. Here's a link to explain it much better than I: http://www.rawschool.com/disease.htm

Groups are talking. We´re listening. Check out the handy changes to .

Guest guest

Very true Caroline... cukes have a wax coating for sure. SuziCaroline <ladyguinevere@...> wrote: I think the wash your foods concept is more for non organic foods...to try and wash off some of the yucky stuff that is put onto our fruits and vegetables when we have no opportunity to purchase from a local organic vendor or find good organic fruits and vegetables.I know that when I buy from the grocery store...I wash everything with soap and water...cause who knows what toxins they have sprayed on there...and I am sure there is stuff inside...but at least I can get the garbage off of the outside. When I can find some organic stuff...I may rinse...but I don't wash like I do with stuff from the grocery store.Just my nickels worth... Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

See the all-new, redesigned .com. Check it out.

Guest guest

You are right about people not being careful in stores around food. How many people let their kids play in the bulk sections of stores? I remember many years ago in Berkeley when I was in a natural food store a dog walked in from the street. He sauntered over to a barrel of something that was on display and lifted his leg on the side of the barrel. The check out clerk said without dismay, That's the third time today he has done that!

Gayla Always Enough RanchAcampo, Californiahttp://bouncinghoofs.com/alwaysenough.htmlBill Barnhill is our Rainbow Example!aeranch@...

----- Original Message -----

health

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:59 AM

Subject: Re: Wash your foods

when I'm at true foods and wild oats,,it is amazing how people cough or sneeze etc in the produce section.. that is one reason I wash mine.. when I had my garden, I always had the cats, chickens, birds, etc in there doing their business.. so needless to say.. I have always washed mine... sometimes with just acv and water.

SuziSV <shavig@...> wrote:

Well, most of what I eat in the way of greens I get from a local producer and I mean local. I know the man, I know his family. The rest I get at our local co-op.

Part of the problem of "disease" in the world is we are too clean. People are obessed with being clean. And besides, you can't catch anything. And before you ask, I will not get into the discussion here. I've brought this up before, but the germ theory is bogus. Here's a link to explain it much better than I:

http://www.rawschool.com/disease.htm

Groups are talking. We´re listening. Check out the handy changes to .

Guest guest

Well said Shari and very true. You get into washing everything and down

the drain goes your B12. A little dirt never hurt anyone and I certainly

don't worry about <gasp> GERMS!@ OMG!!!@@@!!!

Don

SV wrote:

>

> Well, most of what I eat in the way of greens I get from a local

> producer and I mean local. I know the man, I know his family. The

> rest I get at our local co-op.

>

> Part of the problem of " disease " in the world is we are too clean.

> People are obessed with being clean. And besides, you can't catch

> anything. And before you ask, I will not get into the discussion

> here. I've brought this up before, but the germ theory is bogus.

> Here's a link to explain it much better than I:

>

> http://www.rawschool.com/disease.htm

> <http://www.rawschool.com/disease.htm>

>

> I am not concerned with germs because germs do not make us sick. We

> make us sick.

>

> Shari

>

Guest guest

Three cheers for Monsanto and pesticide genes in transgenic crops.

MorningGlory113@... wrote:

>

> Very true Caroline... cukes have a wax coating for sure.

>

> I just read that commercially grown foods (cukes, green peppers,

> apples etc) no longer have a wax coating on them. They have developed

> a type of plastic coating which will not come off no matter what you

> do. You can't wash it off, scrape it off, scrub it off. Also, any

> produce that has seeds inside should be de-seeded. The pesticides are

> also in the seeds.

>

> Gloria

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

from the neighbor farm is one thing.. .but the stores have wax, pesticides, etc... I'll wash mine from there... SuziDon Eitner <mysticalherbalist@...> wrote: Well said Shari and very true. You get into washing everything and down the drain goes your B12. A little dirt never hurt anyone and I certainly don't worry about GERMS!@ OMG!!!@@@!!!DonSV wrote:>> Well, most of what I eat in the way of greens I get from a local > producer and I mean local. I know the man, I know his family. The > rest I get at our local co-op.> > Part of the problem of "disease" in the world is we are too clean. > People are obessed with being clean. And besides, you can't catch > anything. And before you ask, I will not get into the discussion > here.

I've brought this up before, but the germ theory is bogus. > Here's a link to explain it much better than I:> > http://www.rawschool.com/disease.htm > > > I am not concerned with germs because germs do not make us sick. We > make us sick.> > Shari>

Guest guest

acv and water for those..MorningGlory113@... wrote: I do when it comes from the grocery store. Even use soap and water with lettuce and leafy greens???Gloria Suzi What is a weed?

A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

I just don't like other people handling my food and passing their germs off. Not everyone washes their hands .....if you know what I mean.

Kathy L.

health

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:04 PM

When I can find some organic stuff...I may rinse...but I don't wash like I do with stuff from the grocery store.Same here. When I go right to the farm to buy organic it is usually just picked and covered with dirt. I just do a good rinse with water on that stuff. I've never washed any produce with both soap and water, though.Gloria

Guest guest

I never buy the commercial cukes, just the "English" ones that are in the plastic wrapper.

Sharyn

From: health [mailto:health ] On Behalf Of MorningGlory113@...I just read that commercially grown foods (cukes, green peppers, apples etc) no longer have a wax coating on them. They have developed a type of plastic coating which will not come off no matter what you do. You can't wash it off, scrape it off, scrub it off. Also, any produce that has seeds inside should be de-seeded. The pesticides are also in the seeds.

--

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.4/401 - Release Date: 7/26/2006

Guest guest

*** Hmmm, guess I'm in serious trouble because I don't wash my fruits and vegetables. I don't even wash my lettuce.Shari ***

Hi Shari, I'll tell you what broke me of not washing. Many years ago one of the produce guys at the store told me that sometimes the freight sits outside and that dogs pee on it. Now I'm very careful of anything I buy and I always purchase organic food. When I grew myself I didn't worry about it as much, but stuff happens and I didn't like the idea of eating something bugs left residue on. Just thought this might enlighten some of you who never wash your food.

Love and light,

Micki

Guest guest

I was putting it politely and I thought you would get what I meant....you know....not washing after wiping.....yuk.

Kathy L.

health

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:28 PM

".....passing their germs off...."

There's that "G" word again.

Shari

Guest guest

I rinse all my veggies no matter where I buy them. You never know what's crawled on them and maybe they left something behind. lol. :o))

Lynn

health

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:12 PM

lifted his leg on the side of the barrel. I've thought about that when I pick herbs from my garden. I think Hmmm....maybe a critter took a leak on my garden last night. LOL! So I rinse it off with water first.Gloria

Guest guest

I get it, but it still won't make me wash my produce. Did ya' go to the web page with the article on the germ theory?

S