RemedySpot.com

zinc question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

MGB Friends and Dr. Rutledge:

Good morning to you. I have a question for you concerning Zinc and

hair loss. I have been reading in the manual about zinc and hair

loss. I can not find how many mg is safe for us.

Question: The One Source multivitamin that I am taking 3 times a day

has 15mg/100% of Zinc in them, which I am taking 3 times a day. To

avoid hair loss (the most that I can anyway) I would like to take more

zinc if needed. What are you recommendations for my intake of zinc?

Any other recommendations would also be appreciated. I read that too

much zinc is not good for your body. Am I taking enough Zinc with my

One Source multivitamin?

Susy Lee

291/270

2/21/07

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

So sorry Bette - I don't know which fruits/veggies are highest in zinc without doing a Google search, but this website is an excellent resource for learning about what is in fruits and veggies…http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Apr 9, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Bette Holzer wrote:

Lea Ann and others,

I have a question for you, since many of you seem to be into healthy eating and lifestyle.

I'm allergic to zinc, which means I can't take any supplements containing zinc that fight off colds (like Zicam, Airborne). I'm wondering if there's a healthy food or combination of foods that contain natural zinc. I'm thinking a "zinc cocktail" might be a good way to fight the cold my son brought into the house.

Bette

Guest guest

I don't know what would provide you with the cocktail you want but it's a good idea to have either Oscillococcinum or Hyland's Flu on hand to take at the very first sign that you're coming down with something (you take 3 doses over 24 hours). I don't know why it works but it does (for me) 90+% of the time.

Re: Zinc question

So sorry Bette - I don't know which fruits/veggies are highest in zinc without doing a Google search, but this website is an excellent resource for learning about what is in fruits and veggies…

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

On Apr 9, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Bette Holzer wrote:

Lea Ann and others,

I have a question for you, since many of you seem to be into healthy eating and lifestyle.

I'm allergic to zinc, which means I can't take any supplements containing zinc that fight off colds (like Zicam, Airborne). I'm wondering if there's a healthy food or combination of foods that contain natural zinc. I'm thinking a "zinc cocktail" might be a good way to fight the cold my son brought into the house.

Bette

Guest guest

Yes, I can do sesame seeds! Thanks much for the links.

Bette

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of flnancy1958Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:01 PM Subject: Re: Zinc question

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.phpCan you do sesame seeds?> Â > Lea Ann and others,> I have a question for you, since many of you seem to be into healthy eating and lifestyle. > Â > I'm allergic to zinc, which means I can't take any supplements containing zinc that fight off colds (like Zicam, Airborne). I'm wondering if there's a healthy food or combination of foods that contain natural zinc. I'm thinking a "zinc cocktail" might be a good way to fight the cold my son brought into the house.> Â > Bette> > > > > > > > > > > .>

Guest guest

I tried the elderberry extract this past year when one of the kids had a cold, and it did nothing to ward off my own. Bummer! But I can see how it would be good in a smoothie! Maybe I didn't use enough.

Bette

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of BerrySent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:32 PM Subject: Re: Zinc question

I am also allergic to zinc. Elderberry tea or extract is wonderful for fighting off a cold. It also tastes yummy in a smoothie, or makes an EXCELLENT soothing sorbet if you have a sore throat! I grow my own and make my own extracts, so I can't say how tasty store extracts are, but I know they would have the same benefits. Grapefruit seed extract tastes vile, but is also a wonderful way to fight colds. Not only can you take GSE internally, but it is also perfect for disinfecting doorknobs, phones, remotes, faucets, and other places cold germs would be harbored. I spray down my doorknobs and such with a mix of peroxide and GSE every night before going to bed. We haven't had a cold in our house in years. Hope you all feel better soon!

From: Bette Holzer <betteholzer@...>Subject: Zinc question Date: Saturday, April 9, 2011, 8:30 PM

Lea Ann and others,

Bette

Guest guest

Ground sesame seeds turns into tahini which is one of the ingredients in hummus!

Don't know how much hummus helps a cold, but it is delicious.

> > Â

> > Lea Ann and others,

> > I have a question for you, since many of you seem to be into healthy eating

and lifestyle.

> > Â

> > I'm allergic to zinc, which means I can't take any supplements containing

zinc that fight off colds (like Zicam, Airborne). I'm wondering if there's a

healthy food or combination of foods that contain natural zinc. I'm thinking a

" zinc cocktail " might be a good way to fight the cold my son brought into the

house.

> > Â

> > Bette

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > .

> >

>

Guest guest

Wow, great tips. I should check to see if Elderberry plants will

grow here. And I wonder if using the seed in grapes helps put the

same thing as in GSE in my smoothie? I had not used seed in until

someone mentioned it here, and have been using them for a few weeks

now. I Love what I learn here.

Velda

On 4/9/2011 7:32 PM, Berry wrote:

I am also allergic

to zinc.  Elderberry tea or extract is wonderful for

fighting off a cold.  It also tastes yummy in a smoothie,

or makes an EXCELLENT soothing sorbet if you have a sore

throat!  I grow my own and make my own extracts, so I

can't say how tasty store extracts are, but I know they

would have the same benefits.   Grapefruit seed extract

tastes vile, but is also a wonderful way to fight colds. 

Not only can you take GSE internally, but it is also

perfect for disinfecting doorknobs, phones, remotes,

faucets, and other places cold germs would be harbored.  I

spray down my doorknobs and such with a mix of peroxide

and GSE every night before going to bed.  We haven't had a

cold in our house in years.  Hope you all feel better

soon!

Subject: Zinc question

Date: Saturday, April 9, 2011, 8:30 PM

Lea Ann

and others,

I have a

question for you, since many of you seem to be

into healthy eating and lifestyle.

I'm

allergic to zinc, which means I can't take any

supplements containing zinc that fight off

colds (like Zicam, Airborne). I'm wondering if

there's a healthy food or combination of foods

that contain natural zinc. I'm thinking a

"zinc cocktail" might be a good way to fight

the cold my son brought into the house.

Bette

Guest guest

You might read about Astralgus on Dr Weil and Dr Oz sites, as well

as other sites. It is an adaptogen and can prevent a future cold.

Not a help today, but for future, since you have children bringing

"bugs" into the house.

Velda

On 4/9/2011 8:01 PM, Bette Holzer wrote:

I tried the elderberry

extract this past year when one of the kids had a cold, and

it did nothing to ward off my own. Bummer! But I can see how

it would be good in a smoothie! Maybe I didn't use enough.

Bette

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of

Berry

Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:32 PM

Subject: Re: Zinc question

I am also allergic to zinc. Elderberry

tea or extract is wonderful for fighting off a cold.

It also tastes yummy in a smoothie, or makes an

EXCELLENT soothing sorbet if you have a sore throat!

I grow my own and make my own extracts, so I can't say

how tasty store extracts are, but I know they would

have the same benefits. Grapefruit seed extract

tastes vile, but is also a wonderful way to fight

colds. Not only can you take GSE internally, but it

is also perfect for disinfecting doorknobs, phones,

remotes, faucets, and other places cold germs would be

harbored. I spray down my doorknobs and such with a

mix of peroxide and GSE every night before going to

bed. We haven't had a cold in our house in years.

Hope you all feel better soon!

<betteholzer@...>

Subject: Zinc question

Lea

Ann and others,

I

have a question for you, since many of you

seem to be into healthy eating and

lifestyle.

I'm

allergic to zinc, which means I can't take

any supplements containing zinc that fight

off colds (like Zicam, Airborne). I'm

wondering if there's a healthy food or

combination of foods that contain natural

zinc. I'm thinking a "zinc cocktail" might

be a good way to fight the cold my son

brought into the house.

Bette

Guest guest

I know an elderly lady, over 90 years old because several years ago I went to her 90th birthday party but cannot remember how years ago that was. She is bright as a whip, still drives and is seen occasionally at horse shows watching (her daughter is a big hunter/jumper coach, use to be my daughter's). Any ways (sorry I am making a short story long here) but my point is she is a great example of health, never sick. She eats a lot of organic and always told me that she avoids a cold by taking vit c every day! I have always remembered that advice and I try to do the same (when I don't forget that is) and I really think since I have been taking it regularly (like 1000 mg per day) I rarely get a cold (maybe one all year) and when I do it is not that bad.

I have never googled or researched the science behind this but I believe in it because the 90+ year old lady is quite a smart cookie! I know they say fruits and veggies help but likely because the vit c. But I think taking a supplement helps to maximize how much you get.

I even add 1000 mg tablet in my smoothie (not sure if that is good or bad but figured it could not hurt and might help me not forget to take it).

I have thought of adding my vit B12 tablet in there too but not sure if that is good idea or not and I have to take it or I remember even less, LOL. If I forget to take the B12 too many days in a row (like maybe 2 or more) my headache I get usually reminds me, "oh I forgot my B12". LOL!

Carolyn

In a message dated 4/10/2011 4:16:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, d.j.creativedesign@... writes:

I don't know about zinc but I would definitely load up on as many different fruits and veggies as I could in my smoothies :)~Davinna

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Bette Holzer <betteholzer@...> wrote:

Lea Ann and others,

Bette

Guest guest

I don't know about zinc but I would definitely load up on as many different fruits and veggies as I could in my smoothies :)~DavinnaOn Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Bette Holzer <betteholzer@...> wrote:

Lea Ann and others,

I'm allergic to zinc, which means I can't take any supplements containing zinc that fight off colds (like Zicam, Airborne). I'm wondering if there's a healthy food or combination of foods that contain natural zinc. I'm thinking a " zinc cocktail " might be a good way to fight the cold my son brought into the house.

Bette

Guest guest

Vitamin C and all of the B's are water-soluble; whatever your body doesn't use is harmlessly excreted.

Re: Zinc question

I know an elderly lady, over 90 years old because several years ago I went to her 90th birthday party but cannot remember how years ago that was. She is bright as a whip, still drives and is seen occasionally at horse shows watching (her daughter is a big hunter/jumper coach, use to be my daughter's). Any ways (sorry I am making a short story long here) but my point is she is a great example of health, never sick. She eats a lot of organic and always told me that she avoids a cold by taking vit c every day! I have always remembered that advice and I try to do the same (when I don't forget that is) and I really think since I have been taking it regularly (like 1000 mg per day) I rarely get a cold (maybe one all year) and when I do it is not that bad.

I have never googled or researched the science behind this but I believe in it because the 90+ year old lady is quite a smart cookie! I know they say fruits and veggies help but likely because the vit c. But I think taking a supplement helps to maximize how much you get.

I even add 1000 mg tablet in my smoothie (not sure if that is good or bad but figured it could not hurt and might help me not forget to take it).

I have thought of adding my vit B12 tablet in there too but not sure if that is good idea or not and I have to take it or I remember even less, LOL. If I forget to take the B12 too many days in a row (like maybe 2 or more) my headache I get usually reminds me, "oh I forgot my B12". LOL!

Carolyn

In a message dated 4/10/2011 4:16:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, d.j.creativedesign@... writes:

I don't know about zinc but I would definitely load up on as many different fruits and veggies as I could in my smoothies :)

~Davinna

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Bette Holzer <betteholzer@...> wrote:

Lea Ann and others,

Bette

Guest guest

Chalk that one off to being way too tired (It was after 1 a.m.) and

not focusing on what I was doing (ADHD).

Velda

On 4/10/2011 3:57 AM, Berry wrote:

GSE is grapeFRUIT

seed, or citrus extract, which has natural antibacterial

properties.  There is also a grape seed extract, but I

would use liquid GSE (nutribiotic is a good brand) for the

effect you are after.

Subject: Zinc

question

Lea Ann and others,

I have a question for

you, since many of you seem to

be into healthy eating and

lifestyle.

I'm allergic to zinc,

which means I can't take any

supplements containing zinc

that fight off colds (like

Zicam, Airborne). I'm

wondering if there's a healthy

food or combination of foods

that contain natural zinc. I'm

thinking a "zinc cocktail"

might be a good way to fight

the cold my son brought into

the house.

Bette

Guest guest

Bette, hope you're feeling much better by now. For future reference for you and anyone else interested, oil of oregano works great. Here's a link, make sure you read the reviews: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1782 & activateTab=reviews#tabs. MarthaFrom: Berry <berrywell@...> Sent: Sat, April 9, 2011 10:32:20 PMSubject: Re: Zinc question

I am also allergic to zinc. Elderberry tea or extract is wonderful for fighting off a cold. It also tastes yummy in a smoothie, or makes an EXCELLENT soothing sorbet if you have a sore throat! I grow my own and make my own extracts, so I can't say how tasty store extracts are, but I know they would have the same benefits. Grapefruit seed extract tastes vile, but is also a wonderful way to fight colds. Not only can you take GSE internally, but it is also perfect for disinfecting doorknobs, phones, remotes, faucets, and other places cold germs would be harbored. I spray down my doorknobs and such with a mix of peroxide and GSE every night before going to bed. We haven't had a cold in our house in years. Hope you all feel better soon!