RemedySpot.com

Hi All

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

ArmourĀ® Thyroid (thyroid tablets, USP) for oral use is a natural preparation derived from porcine thyroid glands and has a strong, characteristic odor. (T3) liothyronine is approximately four times as potent as T4 levothyroxine on a microgram for microgram basis.) They provide 38 mcg levothyroxine (T4) and 9 mcg liothyronine (T3) per grain of thyroid. The inactive ingredients are calcium stearate, dextrose, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate and opadry white.

The major function of the thyroid gland is to produce thyroid hormone in an amount sufficient to meet the body's needs. To make thyroid hormone, the thyroid uses iodine. If iodine is not available in the diet, the thyroid may produce an insufficient amount of hormone. It is evident that thyroid hormone is actually made up of iodide/iodine directly so you will be receiving some when you take Armour because that is desiccated porcine thyroid extract, though no idea how much is in it. No iodine is added.

Luv - Sheila

Re: Hi All

>> Does armour contain iodine? ..i did not know this, then i wonder why i react to badly to kelp...and the few days i have tried armour(only 3 days) i felt i energy shift, lot's more energy?Curious?Luv,simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.0/1342 - Release Date: 25/03/2008 10:26

Guest guest

Hi simone,

If you are getting thyroid meds then you are getting iodine- the

T4 stands for 4 iodine atoms.

This article is for the general population that may develop problems

because the diet does not contain enough iodine.

Subject: Re: Hi All

In the past i have tried products with kelp in it, only to find that i

am left in a bad state almost immediately after taking it. I am

personally very sensitive to iodine..and yet so many supplements for

hypothyrodism add iodine to the mix..very strange..perhaps other people

do well on iodine?

Luv,

Simone

------------------------------------

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing

medication.

Guest guest

>

> Hi ,

Thanks for that info...it's all confusing to me..i don't seem to

understand why then on the few days on armour i felt good..however, on

a product called Thyroid Factors by s(nutritional supplement)

which was recommened to me by Jan de Vries, i could only take for two

days as it left me feeling very emotional. Could it have been that at

the time my ferritin was too low for me to handle the iodine in this

product. Do you think when my ferritin levels are back to a good range

ie, 80..i should try 'thyroid factors' again..

I do remember meeting a woman in a health shop saying she had an

underactive thyroid and she took kelp which restored her completely

without meds...I do know i cannot take kelp...questions, questions..:)

Luv,

Simone

Guest guest

Hi Simone

Many natural health practitioners who don't really understand thyroid function are often quick to tell you that "thyroid problems mean you need iodine" or iodine containing herbs or supplements, such as kelp.

If you are iodine deficient, iodine may be able to help your thyroid, but for some people, iodine or iodine-containing products may worsen autoimmune thyroid problems, both Hashimoto's and Graves' disease, and cause enlargement of the thyroid (goiter). Do you have antibodies to your thyroid? Before anybody starts to take iodine, they should consider having urinary iodine measured to see if they have an actual deficiency, and pay close attention to any symptoms that develop after you start to take iodine.

Luv - Sheila

>> Hi ,Thanks for that info...it's all confusing to me..i don't seem to understand why then on the few days on armour i felt good..however, on a product called Thyroid Factors by s(nutritional supplement) which was recommened to me by Jan de Vries, i could only take for two days as it left me feeling very emotional. Could it have been that at the time my ferritin was too low for me to handle the iodine in this product. Do you think when my ferritin levels are back to a good range ie, 80..i should try 'thyroid factors' again..I do remember meeting a woman in a health shop saying she had an underactive thyroid and she took kelp which restored her completely without meds...I do know i cannot take kelp...questions, questions..:)Luv,Simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.0/1344 - Release Date: 26/03/2008 08:52

Guest guest

Hi Simone,

In kelp the iodine is in a different form than that in Armour. In

Armour it is ready for the body to use in the form of thyroid hormone , but

in kelp the iodine has to be formed into thyroid hormone- if you have a

failed thyroid this will not be possible.

Subject: Re: Hi All

>

> Does armour contain iodine? ..i did not know this, then i wonder why

i react to badly to kelp...and the few days i have tried armour(only 3

days) i felt i energy shift, lot's more energy?

Curious?

Luv,

simone

medication.

Guest guest

Hi simone,

This is such a complicated subject that all you can do is read,

read, read before deciding whether to try some thing on not, not every

thing suits everybody. Getting the iron up may well give you a big

improvement anyway.

>

> Hi ,

Thanks for that info...it's all confusing to me..i don't seem to

understand why then on the few days on armour i felt good..however, on

a product called Thyroid Factors by s(nutritional supplement)

which was recommened to me by Jan de Vries, i could only take for two

days as it left me feeling very emotional. Could it have been that at

the time my ferritin was too low for me to handle the iodine in this

product. Do you think when my ferritin levels are back to a good range

ie, 80..i should try 'thyroid factors' again..

I do remember meeting a woman in a health shop saying she had an

underactive thyroid and she took kelp which restored her completely

without meds...I do know i cannot take kelp...questions, questions..:)

Luv,

Simone

medication.

Guest guest

The one used on skin & in douches etc is called Betadine.

Val

Will go to the local pharmacy and ask for iodine..mm..i wonder if they sell iodine in pharmacies in england..mmanyway, thanks again.Luv,Simone

Guest guest

HI Simone

Yes, Dr Skinner is still practicing though he is a private doctor and you need to be referred to him by your GP. He does prescribe all thyroid hormone replacements he feels it is necessary for you to have.

Luv - Sheila

I wondered does Dr Skinner still practice and his he able to presribe thyroid meds?Thanks,Luv,Simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.1/1348 - Release Date: 28/03/2008 10:58

Guest guest

>

>Thanks Sheila,

Do you know his phone number...i actually saw him about 3 years

ago ..and at the time he did say he thought i needed to be on meds, but

i wanted to try other routes first..i wonder as i have already seen

him..could i phone his secretary up and make another appointment?

Luv,

Simone

Guest guest

>

> I wondered, can my gp prescribe thyroxine, without me seeing a

consultant, based on my tsh of 2.7 and my history of my tsh once being

And if he does what is the best dose to start on? or would i

realistically be better off starting straight away on armour..i worry

about going on the armour as i have a fast resting pulse, don't want

the T3 to add to that.

Thanks,

luv,

Simone

Guest guest

Hi simone,

Depends on the doc- some may if you have all the hypo symptoms,

but most probably won't until the TSH rises even more.

Subject: Re: Hi all

>

> I wondered, can my gp prescribe thyroxine, without me seeing a

consultant, based on my tsh of 2.7 and my history of my tsh once being

Thanks,

luv,

Simone

medication.

Guest guest

Hi simone,

Simple answer Yes! You do require a referral from you doc though.

Subject: Hi all

I wondered does Dr Skinner still practice and his he able to presribe

thyroid meds?

Thanks,

Luv,

Simone

medication.

Guest guest

Hi Simone

Yes, you most certainly should phone him to make an appointment. His number is 01883 623125.

Luv - Sheila

>>Thanks Sheila,Do you know his phone number...i actually saw him about 3 years ago ..and at the time he did say he thought i needed to be on meds, but i wanted to try other routes first..i wonder as i have already seen him..could i phone his secretary up and make another appointment?Luv,Simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.1/1349 - Release Date: 29/03/2008 17:02

Guest guest

Hi Simone

All you can do is try the experiment. As your TSH has previously been 70, this might be something your GP might work on. He would probably start you on 25 mcgs L-thyroxine considering you have had a fast pulse rate. He would be very unlikely to start you off on natural desiccated porcine thyroid extract. Give the T4 a whirl - if he will prescribe it and see how you get on.

Luvs - Sheila

>> I wondered, can my gp prescribe thyroxine, without me seeing a consultant, based on my tsh of 2.7 and my history of my tsh once being 70.And if he does what is the best dose to start on? or would i realistically be better off starting straight away on armour..i worry about going on the armour as i have a fast resting pulse, don't want the T3 to add to that.Thanks,luv,Simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.1/1349 - Release Date: 29/03/2008 17:02

Guest guest

Sorry Simone

I gave you Dr P's number. Dr S's number is 01221 449 8895

Sheila

Thanks and Sheila for your responses..i will try and get Dr Skinner number.Is it possible if i strengthen my adrenals with siberian ginseng...this would bring down my tsh 2.7 naturally..or would it still mean going on thyroxine or armour?Thanks,Luv,Simone

Guest guest

Hi Simone,

The symptoms of hypo and hyper do overlap sometimes

surprisingly. Have you had recent blood tests that may help decide where the

problem lies?

Subject: Hi all

I don't feel hyperthyroid as have had

hyperthyroidism before and remember how i felt..i feel more hypo...even

though very slim...is that possible...my fast resting pulse has been

this high for weeks now..i fear i might have a heart attack soon.

Be grateful for any insights>

Luv,

Simone

medication.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi Simone

Your TSH is rising - in America you would have been diagnosed hypothyroid and in Germany you also would have been diagnosed with hypothyroidiosm as the top of their TSH range is 3.0 and 2.5 respectively. Write down all your symptoms and signs, go to our website www.tpa-uk.or.guk and click on Hypothyroidism. Click on symptoms and signs and check these against yours. Then write a list of what you have and take your temperature every morning fror 4/5 days before getting out of bed and before eating or drinking anything. List these on the same list. Write down exactly what other problems you have and send it to your GP telling him that under the circumstances, you would like to see an endocrinologist. See if that helps.

Luv - Sheila

I did these bloodtests yesterday and got the result today..my tsh has jumped from 2.7 to 3.25 in 2 months and my FT4 is 16.9.My doctor says this is fine...but i do not feel fine..again i am on no meds..but would like to try armour..he says my FT4 is quite high and therefore do not need meds...???any queries on this would be appreciated..thanks,Simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.2/1389 - Release Date: 21/04/2008 08:34

Guest guest

>

>Hi Sheila,

Yes, it's rising..somehow i feel relieved as i hope now, i can get

treated...i am seeing Dr Lewith tomorrow, he is on your list of

endocrinologists in London...he is going to do the bloods again

including t3 and i sincerely hope he puts me on armour..if not i have

just today ordered from the international pharmacy 100 tabs of half

grain...i still have an old bottle here that i have not used of 100

tabs from 2006...do you recommend i can start using them while i wait

for my prescription or the international pharmacy. Now that i know my

tsh is rising i do not fear taking the armour...my resting heart rate

is 100...i know this is not right..my doc agrees but does not think

its thyroid???

What do you think about the comment he made about my FT4 16.9..it

being high...i can't understand if it is good why i feel

bad..confusing..Thanks so much for your advice

Thanks,

Luv,

Simone

Guest guest

Hi Simone

I am so pleased you are seeiong Dr L - do tell him you are a member of TPA-UK, he has been very helpful to me and he is interested in clinical trials being done on Armour v thyroxine. He is one man that thinks for himself and he treats patients according to their symptoms and signs - not goiong by blood results on their own. Let me know how you get on.

I think your GP doesn't understand about thyroid hormones and how they work - but hopefully, when you regain your health, he might start listening. We can't really blame our GP's though, they are not being taught the facts at medical school.

Your Armour should be OK if it has not been kept in a warm place. See what Dr L has to say and be guided by him. If you get private prescriptions for Armour from a doctor, always buy it yourself through our recommended Internet pharmacies, because the cost of fulfilling a private prescription in the UK is far too expensive.

luv - Sheila

>>Hi Sheila,Yes, it's rising..somehow i feel relieved as i hope now, i can get treated...i am seeing Dr L tomorrow, he is on your list of endocrinologists in London...he is going to do the bloods again including t3 and i sincerely hope he puts me on armour..if not i have just today ordered from the international pharmacy 100 tabs of half grain...i still have an old bottle here that i have not used of 100 tabs from 2006...do you recommend i can start using them while i wait for my prescription or the international pharmacy. Now that i know my tsh is rising i do not fear taking the armour...my resting heart rate is 100...i know this is not right..my doc agrees but does not think its thyroid???What do you think about the comment he made about my FT4 16.9..it being high...i can't understand if it is good why i feel bad..confusing..Thanks so much for your adviceThanks,Luv,Simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.2/1389 - Release Date: 21/04/2008 08:34

Guest guest

>

> Hi Sheila,

I am so pleased you know Dr L and have had good dealings with him,

that makes me feel alot better about seeing him.

Now i practically cannot wait.

A full appointment is 40minutes, however he only had a full

appointment available late may..as i got a bit upset on the phone

about the long wait, the receptionist kindly offered me a 20 minutes

appointment with the blood tests...so i will speedily go ahead with

all my symptoms and hopefully he agrees on armour. I think he will

just have to take a look at me really..as my colour is not right and

i do look exhausted....so hopefully he sees this and 20 minutes is

all i need.

I will fill you in on how i get on...

Thanks so much,

Luv,

Simone

>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG.

> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.2/1389 - Release Date:

21/04/2008 08:34

>

Guest guest

Good luck Simone - and to save valuable time considering you have only 20 minutes, write down all your symptoms and your signs and write down any questions you need to ask him. Hope it goes well - and I look forward to hearing back from you.

luv - Sheila

>> Hi Sheila,I am so pleased you know Dr L and have had good dealings with him, that makes me feel alot better about seeing him.Now i practically cannot wait.A full appointment is 40minutes, however he only had a full appointment available late may..as i got a bit upset on the phone about the long wait, the receptionist kindly offered me a 20 minutes appointment with the blood tests...so i will speedily go ahead with all my symptoms and hopefully he agrees on armour. I think he will just have to take a look at me really..as my colour is not right and i do look exhausted....so hopefully he sees this and 20 minutes is all i need.I will fill you in on how i get on...Thanks so much,Luv,Simone> >> > > > > > > --------------------------------------------------------------------> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG. > Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.2/1389 - Release Date: 21/04/2008 08:34>

Guest guest

Hi Simone

Thyroid antibodies are there to destroy our thyroid gland - and nothing else. This is called Hashimoto's disease and it is an autoimmune process. The body decided that our thyroid is a foreign body which has to be destroyed. This sounds pretty awful. However it is said the majority of sufferers of hypothyroidism have thyroid antibodies. Antibodies can be reduced if you take enough thyroid hromone. It seems that those on synthetic L-thyroxine do not show as much of a decline as those on natural thyroid extract (Armour ). They do say there are some other techniques that reportedly reduce the thyroid antibody count but I personally have no experience of these . There is yoga, breathing techniques, accupuncture and someting called neuromodulation which I have heard of but know nothing about. Taking thyroid supplementation should decrease the numbers but it may take a long time (years). Once the antibodies have destroyed your thyroid, you will have no more antibodies, as they have done their job. This is nothing to be concerned about, there are millions of us living with no thyroid and we just take our thyroid hormone supplementation - whether synthetic or natural.

Luv - SheilaHere is another question though...if i do have antibodies..can i not bring these down naturally with supplements..as i have heard reports of someone saying they were able to do this.Thanks all,,Luv,Simone No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.2/1389 - Release Date: 21/04/2008 08:34

Guest guest

Your TSH is too high, whatever your doctor, endocrinologist or anybody else says. In the USA , Australia, Germany you would have been diagnosed hypothyroid - because the top of the reference range is 2.5 for Germany and 3.0 for USA and Australia. You need to have your Free t3 as well as your Free T3 checked as we cannot tell whether you are converting the inactive T4 to the active T3. You can get this checked through NPTech Services (see our FILES) and you can see the tests they do and the prices they charge. You may have a highish Free t4 because it is not converting and is floating around in your blood with nowhere to go. You had an elevated TSH because your pituitary recognises that your thyroid is not pumping out the thyroid hormones your body needs, and therefore, it sends out Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) to tell your thyroid to pump out more T4.

luv - Sheila

I wondered if anyone would know why if i have a slightly elevated tsh of 3.27...range 0.27 - 4.20why is my FT4 look good ..FT4 16.9 range 12.0 -22.0this is on no meds.Not sure what this meansAny ideas?Thanks,Luv,Simone

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 27/04/2008 09:39

Guest guest

>

>HI Sheila,

I have just got off the phone with a local dr in brighton, as i wanted

to speak to him before i made an appointment as i did not want to

spending more money seeing someone who was not going to prescribe

me...anyway i told him my results he said i should come in tomorrow and

do blood test..full thyroid..for Ā£18 which is good considering i paid

Ā£40 for only the tsh and Ft4 in london..and he says when the results

come he will consider this with my symptoms..thank god, finally..and

thankfully he is near so i don't need to trawling london, after my

results have come through and i have made an appointment, if all goes

well and i find him to be good, perhaps you can add him to your list of

agreeable doctors..i am so pleased..finally, finally..

Thanks,

Luv,

Simone>

>

>

>

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG.

> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date:

27/04/2008 09:39

>