RemedySpot.com

Dogs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm no expert, but did work for a vet for awhile- Goldens are great dogs- there's a reason people put up with their size ;-)Beagles are *extremely* loyal and are not happy when owners leave them! They chew up the place or refuse to eat or drink! It can be really bad.Terriers are HIGH ENERGY and you have to accept that fact that digging is in their genetic coding. :-)You might want to do a search for service dogs! There are more and more groups training them to be companions to people with DD. If you can't afford it, perhaps one of your local service clubs would help with the costs?A certain breed isn't nearly as important as the personality of the individual dog. Might be worth your while to find a really good breeder who would be willing to match their dog to your family

type. It's a real skill to be able to pick out the right dog. Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic----- Original Message ----From: momofchris2007 <slpanda2@...>Down Syndrome Treatment Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 9:40:50 AMSubject: Dogs

Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14

years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any

suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog

that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his

buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in

Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.

I have 2 girls, Trisomy 21 and Trisomy 10q and they both love their Shelties. Both dogs are very protective of the girls too.

Dogs

Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.

We have a Shih Tzu . My husband says she is not a real dog. ( Because she is small ) He likes the larger dogs. We have a female she is very loyal. does not case harm to anything, has been raised around cats. As a matter a fact I have her in with my 2 cats right now and they are all napping. But they get along well. She did snap at Amber once because she got a bit rough with her when Amber was little. Which meant she got put out side. But now that Amber is older they get along well. Although I do keep a close eye on her. But she is house trained , goes for walks, these dogs you can also teach to use a kennel at night time ( if taught as a puppy ). They are a small bred and love to be with people. They are high maintance with needing their hair cut. So if you do not want a dog that has to

be groomed this would not be a good choice. Just my 2 cents. Carol PCarol in IL <ps1272000@...> wrote: I'm no expert, but did work for a vet for awhile- Goldens are great dogs- there's a reason people put up with their size ;-)Beagles are *extremely* loyal and are not happy when owners leave them! They chew up the place or refuse to eat or drink! It can be really

bad.Terriers are HIGH ENERGY and you have to accept that fact that digging is in their genetic coding. :-)You might want to do a search for service dogs! There are more and more groups training them to be companions to people with DD. If you can't afford it, perhaps one of your local service clubs would help with the costs?A certain breed isn't nearly as important as the personality of the individual dog. Might be worth your while to find a really good breeder who would be willing to match their dog to your family type. It's a real skill to be able to pick out the right dog. Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic Dogs Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any suggestions on what would be

best? I would want a medium sized dog that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.__________________________________________________

I do not have a sheltie, but have

always wanted one. I think they would be EXCELLENT for kids in general,

not to mention those with the exclusive extra chromosome. Shelties are

also very attuned to people’s feelings and very motherly of their child

owners.

Dinkins-Borkowski; Nolan(4) nocf, Phoebe(2)

Ds & Cf

Phoebe's Video: http://www.active.com/donate/buddywalk2006/phight4phoebe

Get

Phoebe-Chic: http://www.cafepress.com/phoebesphight

[mailto:Down Syndrome Treatment ] On Behalf Of

Bolduc

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 12:40 PM

Down Syndrome Treatment

Subject: Re: Dogs

I have 2 girls, Trisomy 21 and Trisomy 10q and they both love

their Shelties. Both dogs are very protective of the girls too.

-----

Original Message -----

Down Syndrome Treatment

Sent: Friday, October 19,

2007 9:40 AM

Subject:

Dogs

Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had

a cat for over 14

What ever you do DON't get a Beagle or a Terrier...they are both 'smart' and 'stubborn' breeds...ok, a little like our kids!!

I have known several people who have had to find another home for the Beagle who they loved, but howled a lot and chewed their furniture up...and the dog was 3 years old!

I've got 2 SHelties, great sized dogs, great temperments, and EASY to train! IF you go for a puppy, make sure you can leave the puppy with it's mama till it's 8 weeks old..you can pick the puppy and buy it sooner, but that additional 2 weeks makes a huge difference in the security of the dog (won't be nervous temperament when has 2 more weeks) AND since most will get their puppies at 6 weeks, they also don't have that horrible seperation anxiety the first couple of nights missing their siblings.

IF you don't want the shedding, a Poodle mix is a great way to go. You can find just about anything mixed with a poodle these days. Just be sure to see both parents (photo ok( to see the potential size.

IF you are getting an adult dog from a rescue association, then you will know so much about the dog's temperament, knowldege of their training they've already had, and any bad habits (chasing cars, digging, barking, etc) that they may have...any dog can aquire a bad habit at any age.

GOOD LUCK! AND send photos when you've got the new pup at home!

, Mom to 13, DS, Southern CaliforniaTo succeed in life,you need three things:a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone.~ Reba McIntyre

Diagnosis Down Syndrome: A Site of Hope for New Parents or Parents with a Prenatal Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/What to Say to Parents of a Child with a Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/speech.html

Dogs

Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.__________________________________________________

Thanks for all the ideas. I never thought about Shelties. I have not had a dog for so long and I am getting older and just want to get a dog to keep my son company on those cold winter days. I love dogs too and I just want to make the right choice. I need one that is very loyal and easy to care for. One that is not too hyper. Goldens and Labs are nice but too big with no fenced in yard. I will keep looking and add Shelties to the list. Dinkins-Borkowski <julie@...> wrote: I do not have a sheltie, but have always wanted one. I think they would be EXCELLENT for kids in general, not to mention those with the exclusive extra chromosome. Shelties are also very attuned to people’s feelings and very motherly of their child owners. Dinkins-Borkowski; Nolan(4) nocf, Phoebe(2) Ds & Cf Phoebe's Video: http://www.active.com/donate/buddywalk2006/phight4phoebe Get Phoebe-Chic: http://www.cafepress.com/phoebesphight From: Down Syndrome Treatment [mailto:Down Syndrome Treatment ] On Behalf Of BolducSent: Friday, October 19, 2007 12:40 PMDown Syndrome Treatment Subject: Re: Dogs I have 2 girls, Trisomy 21 and Trisomy 10q and they both love their Shelties. Both dogs are very protective of the girls too.

Dogs Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.

I forgot to give mention of the

dog we DO own. She is a mini Dachshund named, Miss Uneeda

Biscuit. We call her Biscuit for short. I was really nervous about

getting her at first, because I had only seen other weenie dogs be aggressive

toward children. Miss biscuit is very tolerant of Phoebe (almost 3), and

Nolan who is five. I believe it is all in the way you raise them.

The dog, that is.

Dinkins-Borkowski; Nolan(4) nocf, Phoebe(2)

Ds & Cf

Phoebe's Video: http://www.active.com/donate/buddywalk2006/phight4phoebe

Get

Phoebe-Chic: http://www.cafepress.com/phoebesphight

Down Syndrome Treatment

[mailto:Down Syndrome Treatment ] On Behalf Of iammamapie

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 12:49 PM

Down Syndrome Treatment

Subject: Re: Dogs

We have a Shih Tzu . My husband says she is not a real

dog. ( Because she is small )

He likes the larger dogs.

We have a female she is very loyal. does not

case harm to anything, has been raised around cats. As a matter a fact I

have her in with my 2 cats right now and they are all napping. But they

get along well.

She did snap at Amber once because she got a bit rough with

her when Amber was little.

Which meant she got put out side. But now that Amber is

older they get along well.

Although I do keep a close eye on her.

But she is house trained , goes for walks, these

dogs you can also teach to

use a kennel at night time ( if taught as a puppy ).

They are a small bred and love to be with people. They

are high maintance with needing their hair cut. So if you do not want a

dog that has to be groomed this would not be a good choice.

Just my 2

cents.

Carol P

Carol in IL <ps1272000@...> wrote:

I'm

no expert, but did work for a vet for awhile- Goldens are great dogs-

there's a reason people put up with their size ;-)

Beagles are *extremely* loyal and are not happy when owners leave them! They

chew up the place or refuse to eat or drink! It can be really bad.

Terriers are HIGH ENERGY and you have to accept that fact that digging is in

their genetic coding. :-)

You might want to do a search for service dogs! There are more and more groups

training them to be companions to people with DD. If you can't afford it,

perhaps one of your local service clubs would help with the costs?

A certain breed isn't nearly as important as the personality of the individual

dog. Might be worth your while to find a really good breeder who would be

willing to match their dog to your family type. It's a real skill to be able to

pick out the right dog.

Carol in IL

AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasay

Mom to seven including

, 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.

My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.

Join

our Down Syndrome information group -

Down Syndrome Treatment/

Listen

to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic

Dogs

Hello everyone. My son is 26

with DS and we had a cat for over 14

We got a beagle when our son with DS was 1 yr old (he's now 10) and he's been the best buddy for him you could imagine. Whatever room our son is in is the room your most likely to find the dog in as well...like 2 peas in a pod they tend to be.....LOL.. Like any dog, you're going to have problems unless you have the time to train them properly. Beagles are famous...or infamous?..for that howl they have...LOL Another thing with beagles, if they get the chance they will put their nose to the ground and go and may be gone for hours. Ours has done this on a few occassions but has always returned within an hour or so. Retrievers are great family dogs, we had 2 when our older kids were still young and at home, but a bit on the large size as has already been mentioned. Well, that's my 2 cents worth, good luck with your decision! __________________________________________________

I know that puppies are a lot of work. Maybe I will look for a young dog at a shelter. It is so hard to decide and I know when I see all those puppies/dogs/cats/kittens it will be even harder. Anyone have a good or bad experience in the Chicagoland area with shelters? I know there is the Hinsdale Humane Soc. and something in Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Bloomingdale. Yikes!Cheryl <wildheart059@...> wrote: We got a beagle when our son with DS was 1 yr old (he's now 10) and he's been the best buddy for him you

could imagine. Whatever room our son is in is the room your most likely to find the dog in as well...like 2 peas in a pod they tend to be.....LOL.. Like any dog, you're going to have problems unless you have the time to train them properly. Beagles are famous...or infamous?..for that howl they have...LOL Another thing with beagles, if they get the chance they will put their nose to the ground and go and may be gone for hours. Ours has done this on a few occassions but has always returned within an hour or so. Retrievers are great family dogs, we had 2 when our older kids were still young and at home, but a bit on the large size as has already been mentioned. Well, that's my 2 cents worth, good luck with your decision! __________________________________________________

Got ot your local Petco or Pet Smart, they willhave alist of' Rescues, and that is even better than the shelter...because they dogs live with the rescue workers so they know their personalities much better (and their habits) than a shelter will...many times they may have a dog whose master has passed away, or the family went through a financial hardship and had to give their dog up..other times it's dogs who were neglected and not trained, but at least the rescue worked has had some time to work with the dog to do some training.

Good Luck!

, Mom to 13, DS, Southern CaliforniaTo succeed in life,you need three things:a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone.~ Reba McIntyre

Diagnosis Down Syndrome: A Site of Hope for New Parents or Parents with a Prenatal Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/What to Say to Parents of a Child with a Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/speech.html

Re: Re:Dogs

I know that puppies are a lot of work. Maybe I will look for a young dog at a shelter. It is so hard to decide and I know when I see all those puppies/dogs/cats/kittens it will be even harder. Anyone have a good or bad experience in the Chicagoland area with shelters? I know there is the Hinsdale Humane Soc. and something in Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Bloomingdale. Yikes!Cheryl <wildheart059 > wrote:

We got a beagle when our son with DS was 1 yr old (he's now 10) and he's been the best buddy for him you could imagine. Whatever room our son is in is the room your most likely to find the dog in as well...like 2 peas in a pod they tend to be.....LOL.. Like any dog, you're going to have problems unless you have the time to train them properly. Beagles are famous...or infamous?..for that howl they have...LOL Another thing with beagles, if they get the chance they will put their nose to the ground and go and may be gone for hours. Ours has done this on a few occassions but has always returned within an hour or so. Retrievers are great family dogs, we had 2 when our older kids were still young and at home, but a bit on the large size as has already been mentioned. Well, that's my 2 cents worth, good luck with your decision!

I am a vet and I would agree wholeheartedly with whoever said that it

depends much more on the personality of the individual dog than the breed

itself. While some breed generalizations seem to hold true, they really are

just generalizations. I have always had mutts that I loved (and our current

one is fine with our son).

Good luck. I can't imagine life without a dog,

Amy

>From: Shirley Linden <slpanda2@...>

>Reply-Down Syndrome Treatment

>Down Syndrome Treatment

>Subject: RE: Dogs

>Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:09:20 -0700 (PDT)

>

>Thanks for all the ideas. I never thought about Shelties. I have not had

>a dog for so long and I am getting older and just want to get a dog to keep

>my son company on those cold winter days. I love dogs too and I just want

>to make the right choice. I need one that is very loyal and easy to care

>for. One that is not too hyper. Goldens and Labs are nice but too big with

>no fenced in yard. I will keep looking and add Shelties to the list.

>

> Dinkins-Borkowski <julie@...> wrote: I do

>not have a sheltie, but have always wanted one. I think they would be

>EXCELLENT for kids in general, not to mention those with the exclusive

>extra chromosome. Shelties are also very attuned to people’s feelings and

>very motherly of their child owners.

>

> Dinkins-Borkowski; Nolan(4) nocf, Phoebe(2) Ds & Cf

> Phoebe's Video:

>http://www.active.com/donate/buddywalk2006/phight4phoebe

> Get Phoebe-Chic: http://www.cafepress.com/phoebesphight

>

>

> From: Down Syndrome Treatment

>[mailto:Down Syndrome Treatment ] On Behalf Of

>Bolduc

>Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 12:40 PM

>Down Syndrome Treatment

>Subject: Re: Dogs

>

>

>

> I have 2 girls, Trisomy 21 and Trisomy 10q and they both love

>their Shelties. Both dogs are very protective of the girls too.

>

>

>

> Dogs

>

>

>

> Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14

>years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any

>suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog

>that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his

>buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in

>Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

><< image5.gif >>

><< image6.gif >>

Look into a Cavalier King Spaniel. Very loyal, only get around 16

lbs and easily adapt to the families lifestyle and activity level. (plus,

they a so stinking cute......which is what my 9 y/o with Ds says about our

dog!)

United Tire and---D.A.D.S.,Best Buddies, IITDA and IDSF

Joe Meares United Tire

4024 sville Road

Indianapolis, Indiana 46205

9142 Bluestone Circle

Indianapolis, Indiana 46236

joemeares@... tel:

fax:

mobile: 317 377 1100

317 377 1101

317 523 5888

Always have my latest info Want a signature like this?

Re: Dogs

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Dogs

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

><< image5.gif >>

><< image6.gif >>

1. Anything suggested on this site or opinions offered are not intended to

be medical or pharmaceutical advice or otherwise take the place of your

physicians orders, nor to diagnose or treat your specific health problems.

Please discuss all methods of treatment with your practitioner.

2 *****WARNING: Flames and inappropriate treatment of other members on this

list will NOT be tolerated.

3. Our HOME page is Down Syndrome Treatment

where all archived posts as well as photos,links, files, articles etc. are

found. You " MUST " have a ID and pass word to enter it.

To contact Carol, owner & moderator

doihavtasay@...

To contact Kathy, owner & moderator

kathy_r@...

To contact , owner & moderator

jules@...

Joe - When did you get a dog?

=====================

Date: 2007/10/21 Sun PM 12:17:59 CDT

Down Syndrome Treatment

Subject: RE: Dogs

Look into a Cavalier King Spaniel. Very loyal, only get around 16

lbs and easily adapt to the families lifestyle and activity level. (plus,

they a so stinking cute......which is what my 9 y/o with Ds says about our

dog!)

United Tire and---D.A.D.S.,Best Buddies, IITDA and IDSF

Joe Meares United Tire

4024 sville Road

Indianapolis, Indiana 46205

9142 Bluestone Circle

Indianapolis, Indiana 46236

joemeares@... tel:

fax:

mobile: 317 377 1100

317 377 1101

317 523 5888

Always have my latest info Want a signature like this?

Re: Dogs

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Dogs

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

><< image5.gif >>

><< image6.gif >>

1. Anything suggested on this site or opinions offered are not intended to

be medical or pharmaceutical advice or otherwise take the place of your

physicians orders, nor to diagnose or treat your specific health problems.

Please discuss all methods of treatment with your practitioner.

2 *****WARNING: Flames and inappropriate treatment of other members on this

list will NOT be tolerated.

3. Our HOME page is Down Syndrome Treatment

where all archived posts as well as photos,links, files, articles etc. are

found. You " MUST " have a ID and pass word to enter it.

To contact Carol, owner & moderator

doihavtasay@...

To contact Kathy, owner & moderator

kathy_r@...

To contact , owner & moderator

jules@...

We had a German Spitz - Klein as a 1st birthday present for our now 16

year old Autistic spectrum daughter Rebekah and couldn't have been

happier (we were devastated when she finally died at 15 from arthritis

as a result of her past fractures). She was totally " BOMB-PROOF " .

She got out of our yard once and was clipped by a truck. Her pelvis

was broken on each side of the spine and she was in heaps of pain. We

were quoted a vast sum of money to have her undergo surgery and while

we were contemplating this prospect (was she really worth it???) our

daughter toddled over and picked up the dog. She yelped in pain (we

could hear the bones grinding from across the room) but she didn't

turn to bite which any reasonable dog could be expected to do.

Needless to say we had the surgery done and never regretted it. She

never even curled a lip in annoyance and was playful, small, loyal,

bright, intelligent and even her coat was no difficulty to manage

despite the length. Once a week brisk brushing was enough. We have

now bought another German Spitz - Klein as Therese's dog and she is

every bit as loving and loyal as Tammy ever was. Therese adores her

and they're always all over each other. We would never go past this

breed again. They are not a particularly dime-a-dozen-easy breed to

find but well worth the trouble.

Ursula

Mum of Rebekah - 16 (ID, ADHD, PDD-NOS, CVS, Epilepsy) Grace - 6,

Therese - 2 (DS, ASD)

Melbourne, Australia

pekeriu@...

>

> years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any

> suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog

> that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his

> buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in

> Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.

>

Well, we have been to several pet stores and shelters. We are maybe thinking about getting a Cocker Spaniel. There are not many puppies in shelters right now but we really want to get a puppy before winter. Anyone have a cocker Spaniel?Ursula <pekeriu@...> wrote: We had a German Spitz - Klein as a 1st birthday present for our now 16year old Autistic spectrum daughter Rebekah and couldn't have beenhappier (we were devastated when she finally died at 15 from arthritisas a result of her past fractures). She was

totally "BOMB-PROOF". She got out of our yard once and was clipped by a truck. Her pelviswas broken on each side of the spine and she was in heaps of pain. Wewere quoted a vast sum of money to have her undergo surgery and whilewe were contemplating this prospect (was she really worth it???) ourdaughter toddled over and picked up the dog. She yelped in pain (wecould hear the bones grinding from across the room) but she didn'tturn to bite which any reasonable dog could be expected to do. Needless to say we had the surgery done and never regretted it. Shenever even curled a lip in annoyance and was playful, small, loyal,bright, intelligent and even her coat was no difficulty to managedespite the length. Once a week brisk brushing was enough. We havenow bought another German Spitz - Klein as Therese's dog and she isevery bit as loving and loyal as Tammy ever was. Therese adores herand they're always all over each

other. We would never go past thisbreed again. They are not a particularly dime-a-dozen-easy breed tofind but well worth the trouble.UrsulaMum of Rebekah - 16 (ID, ADHD, PDD-NOS, CVS, Epilepsy) Grace - 6,Therese - 2 (DS, ASD)Melbourne, Australiapekeriuoptusnet.au>> Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 > years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any > suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog > that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his > buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in > Elmhurst, Illinois.

Thanks.>

We had one but could not housetrain her after over a year of intensely trying. I gave her back to the breeder but to tell you the truth I miss her still, she was the sweetest thing. I've heard from others also that they are really hard to housetrain.

Kathy

Re: Re: Dogs

Well, we have been to several pet stores and shelters. We are maybe thinking about getting a Cocker Spaniel. There are not many puppies in shelters right now but we really want to get a puppy before winter. Anyone have a cocker Spaniel?Ursula <pekeriuoptusnet.au> wrote:

We had a German Spitz - Klein as a 1st birthday present for our now 16year old Autistic spectrum daughter Rebekah and couldn't have beenhappier (we were devastated when she finally died at 15 from arthritisas a result of her past fractures). She was totally "BOMB-PROOF". She got out of our yard once and was clipped by a truck. Her pelviswas broken on each side of the spine and she was in heaps of pain. Wewere quoted a vast sum of money to have her undergo surgery and whilewe were contemplating this prospect (was she really worth it???) ourdaughter toddled over and picked up the dog. She yelped in pain (wecould hear the bones grinding from across the room) but she didn'tturn to bite which any reasonable dog could be expected to do. Needless to say we had the surgery done and never regretted it. Shenever even curled a lip in annoyance and was playful, small, loyal,bright, intelligent and even her coat was no difficulty to managedespite the length. Once a week brisk brushing was enough. We havenow bought another German Spitz - Klein as Therese's dog and she isevery bit as loving and loyal as Tammy ever was. Therese adores herand they're always all over each other. We would never go past thisbreed again. They are not a particularly dime-a-dozen-easy breed tofind but well worth the trouble.UrsulaMum of Rebekah - 16 (ID, ADHD, PDD-NOS, CVS, Epilepsy) Grace - 6,Therese - 2 (DS, ASD)Melbourne, Australiapekeriuoptusnet.au>> Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 > years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any > suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog > that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his > buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in > Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.>

Ok we got a puppy. It is a Tibetan Terrier almost 4 Months old. We are calling our little girl Sassy. My son loves her and she loves him already. She is a very good puppy. Thanks for all your help.Kathy <kebis@...> wrote: We had one but could not housetrain her after over a year of intensely trying. I gave her back to the breeder but to tell you the truth I miss her still, she was the sweetest thing. I've heard from others also that they are really hard to

housetrain. Kathy Re: Re: Dogs Well, we have been to several pet stores and shelters. We are maybe thinking about getting a Cocker Spaniel. There are

not many puppies in shelters right now but we really want to get a puppy before winter. Anyone have a cocker Spaniel?Ursula <pekeriuoptusnet.au> wrote: We had a German Spitz - Klein as a 1st birthday present for our now 16year old Autistic spectrum daughter Rebekah and couldn't have beenhappier (we were devastated when she finally died at 15 from arthritisas a result of her past fractures). She was totally "BOMB-PROOF". She got out of our yard once and was clipped by a truck. Her pelviswas broken on each side of the spine and she was in heaps of pain. Wewere quoted a vast sum of money to have her undergo surgery and whilewe were contemplating this prospect (was she really worth it???) ourdaughter toddled over and picked up the dog. She yelped in pain

(wecould hear the bones grinding from across the room) but she didn'tturn to bite which any reasonable dog could be expected to do. Needless to say we had the surgery done and never regretted it. Shenever even curled a lip in annoyance and was playful, small, loyal,bright, intelligent and even her coat was no difficulty to managedespite the length. Once a week brisk brushing was enough. We havenow bought another German Spitz - Klein as Therese's dog and she isevery bit as loving and loyal as Tammy ever was. Therese adores herand they're always all over each other. We would never go past thisbreed again. They are not a particularly dime-a-dozen-easy breed tofind but well worth the trouble.UrsulaMum of Rebekah - 16 (ID, ADHD, PDD-NOS, CVS, Epilepsy) Grace - 6,Therese - 2 (DS, ASD)Melbourne, Australiapekeriuoptusnet.au>> Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 > years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any > suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog > that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his > buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in > Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.>

Great choice! I forgot about Tibetian Terriers...and no shedding, much better than the hair balls left all over by the Shelties!

Can't wait to see pictures!

Re: Re: Dogs

Well, we have been to several pet stores and shelters. We are maybe thinking about getting a Cocker Spaniel. There are not many puppies in shelters right now but we really want to get a puppy before winter. Anyone have a cocker Spaniel?Ursula <pekeriuoptusnet.au> wrote:

We had a German Spitz - Klein as a 1st birthday present for our now 16year old Autistic spectrum daughter Rebekah and couldn't have beenhappier (we were devastated when she finally died at 15 from arthritisas a result of her past fractures). She was totally "BOMB-PROOF". She got out of our yard once and was clipped by a truck. Her pelviswas broken on each side of the spine and she was in heaps of pain. Wewere quoted a vast sum of money to have her undergo surgery and whilewe were contemplating this prospect (was she really worth it???) ourdaughter toddled over and picked up the dog. She yelped in pain (wecould hear the bones grinding from across the room) but she didn'tturn to bite which any reasonable dog could be expected to do. Needless to say we had the surgery done and never regretted it. Shenever even curled a lip in annoyance and was playful, small, loyal,bright, intelligent and even her coat was no difficulty to managedespite the length. Once a week brisk brushing was enough. We havenow bought another German Spitz - Klein as Therese's dog and she isevery bit as loving and loyal as Tammy ever was. Therese adores herand they're always all over each other. We would never go past thisbreed again. They are not a particularly dime-a-dozen-easy breed tofind but well worth the trouble.UrsulaMum of Rebekah - 16 (ID, ADHD, PDD-NOS, CVS, Epilepsy) Grace - 6,Therese - 2 (DS, ASD)Melbourne, Australiapekeriuoptusnet.au>> Hello everyone. My son is 26 with DS and we had a cat for over 14 > years until she passed away last year. My son would love a dog. Any > suggestions on what would be best? I would want a medium sized dog > that he could help take for a walk (no fenced in yard) and be his > buddy. Any suggestions on where to get one too would help. I am in > Elmhurst, Illinois. Thanks.>

• 3 months later...

Hello Dear Ellen, I know what you are feeling. What we went through with our little dogs was the worst thing my husband and I have ever and I mean ever had to live through. If I had only known about the salt. Environmentalist have been using salt on pets to kill fleas for a long time. We caught something from our bird feeders. I have never seen a "mite" on us only little balls of fibers. Our vets...we saw 3...scraped and cut down into our little dogs skin and never found a thing yet they were in agony. Do their little faces first by hand. Dip your fingers into the salt water and rub around their eyes and nose. Wipe their eyes with a wet cotton ball after getting the salt water on. It might be easier to cut their hair short while living with this nightmare. Keep a spray bottle to spray down next to their skin during the day. I think you have to make fresh salt water every day. If mine sits out all night it doesn't even burn my eyes the next day. You might try the day old water on the dogs faces but I don't know if it will work like fresh salt water. We had two squirrels that lost all their hair in our back yard. I have been giving them that horse invermectin 1.87 % bought at our farm supply store since December, a little on a pecan every day. They have their hair back and no sign of this mess any more. Wash your floors down with salt water. Keep trying....you are in my prayers. Rita

Re: Do dogs carry and perpetuate a bird mite, that transfers quickly to people

Dear Mel,Thanks for shaing, like you, the dogs and I suffer, not mange,that was ruled out, but did they trasnfer to you quickly from holding your pets, where you would get bites up arms?Also, as you said worse in kitchen, computer, but now bedrooms too.Signed , Ellen> >> > Hi,> > We have a 4month ordeal, we thought was Cheyletellia.> > The first vet (of 4 now) thought she id'd an egg from tape, know > she is > > not sure based on lengevity of issue, and mentioned bird and rodent > > mites.> > Have 4 spaniels, and since October all dogs and myself itch and > have > > bites. I have bites on back as well, legs etc. Sometimes the dogs > bite > > at legs, other times scratch and the puppy bites at her rear and > runs > > across floor like something is on floor. snd she gets afraid.> > My heart is breaking over this, as I love my pets and we have taken > > great care of them and have a nice home and yard!> > Did Lympyps, Revolution and 4 Ivermectins on dogs, treated home 3x, > and > > if we even pet our dogs or hold them, we get bites op arms, onto > > shoulders etc.> > 90% is from dogs, but environment 10% bites.> > > > Have bites in ears, but not the nose, eye issues, mouth etc.> > > > Yes, we have spent thousands at Dermatologists, Vets, and are still > > going for more vet scrapings.> > Any input on a multiple dog household, w/our symptoms.> > Our lives are bagging clothes, washing, vacuuming,and we love our > dogs > > and do not hold them anymore, help!> > We have worked hard at this, and treated dogs and home, still it > > persists.> > I have had this 2 years. At first, my 2 dogs and 2 cats and me had > this. After a year of trying to get rid of this, I finally gave up > my pets. My cat was diagnosed with sarcoptic mange in the very > beginning, but it could have been a bird mite. I have not seen my > mites, so I tend to believe it is a sarcoptic mange mite that hit us > so hard. I still have this and cannot get rid of it, no matter what > i do. Another reason I don't think it is bird mites, is because only > certain areas of the house is infested, only areas where i frequent, > like the kitchen, my computer areas, the bed... I hear that people > with bird mites, that all their furniture and home gets infested. > This is not the case with me. Mel> >>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.5/1278 - Release Date: 2/14/2008 10:28 AM

Ellen Filarski

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.6/1280 - Release Date: 2/15/2008 9:00 AM

• 10 months later...

Hi Jill

HI THIS IS A great letter at safe to use , that explains the Rat/birdmite life

& extermination & skin cure.

it says The dog will need to have a series of flea baths, be dipped with lyme

sulfur or start a course of Revolution in conjunction with Frontline plus. Rat

mites are long lived, they have to feed on blood four times during the life

cycle and they are not particular (except a preference for human females) about

where they get their blood. This means you could be sharing an insect predator

with a rodent.......

more at this all in one link

www.safe2use.com/scabiesboard/2004_07/671 .html

Here is another excerpt in the post. The most important words are repeated

baths in oil , I think ( I use healthy oil and borax for a few day then epsom

for a few day , then borax & epsom together for a day or two then back to epsom

because it is non poisonness. This birdmite eradiction takes time.

Excerpt:

...... Repeated baths in water and bath oil, or repeated swims in chlorinated

swimming pools will kill adult mites and nymphs feeding close to the surface.

And you don & #39;t have to smell like a human pickle to accomplish breaking the

cycle.

Bye ,

Bill .

livingwithcritters wrote:

> First, I have to choose--and administer-- a new protocol for my

dogs.

> They are currently on Sentry and Frontline. Can someone tell me the

> advantages of switching to other products such as Revolution?

> They also go to the vet every other Friday for a bath, dip, and visit

> with their friends. That is the day the dog room is routinely cleaned

> out.

> Until I see that I am clear, I see no point in really bearing down on

> them or my environment. That doesn't mean I am not planning, and am

> also trying to determine where that point is. I have wasted so many

> hours and dollars doing this over and over and over....... just want to

> do it again when I get the most bang for my buck (and back--have

> degenerative arthritis in neck and lower back).

> I'm open open open to advice...

> KJ

>

Hi Jill

with a rodent.......

Excerpt:

And you don & #39;t have to smell like a human pickle to accomplish breaking the

cycle.

Bye ,

Bill .

dogs.

> out.

> KJ

>

Hi Jill

with a rodent.......

Excerpt:

cycle.

Bye ,

Bill .

dogs.

> out.

> KJ

>

KJ -- the active ingredient in Revolution is selamectin, which I

believe is similar to ivermectin. The active ingredient in Frontline

is S-methoprene. I have heard that bugs can get resistant to eitiher

of those chemicals.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pselect.asp?LV=201 & PG=Revolution

Another way to treat the dogs for parasites may be colloidal silver,

or silver hydrosol. I gave my cats colloidal silver for 7 weeks last

spring, and it seemed to benefit them. It didn't appear to harm them

at all. This website had info about colloidal silver, but it is not

the brand I used (there was only one brand available at my local

health food store).

http://www.earthbornproducts.com/

myrtle

>

> First, I have to choose--and administer--a new protocol for my dogs.

>

> out.

>

>

>

> KJ

>

Thank you, Myrtle, I'm going to suggest to my husband that he tell

the vet the dogs are helped by what they are on, but that they don't

do everything they should do, and ask if that could be why, that the

critters have become resistant to them.

Excellent thoughts from you as always.

KJ

> >

> > First, I have to choose--and administer--a new protocol for my

dogs.

> > They are currently on Sentry and Frontline. Can someone tell me

the

> > advantages of switching to other products such as Revolution?

> >

> > They also go to the vet every other Friday for a bath, dip, and

visit

> > with their friends. That is the day the dog room is routinely

cleaned

> > out.

> >

> > Until I see that I am clear, I see no point in really bearing

down on

> > them or my environment. That doesn't mean I am not planning, and

am

> > also trying to determine where that point is. I have wasted so

many

> > hours and dollars doing this over and over and over....... just

want to

> > do it again when I get the most bang for my buck (and back--have

> > degenerative arthritis in neck and lower back).

> >

> > I'm open open open to advice...

> >

> > KJ

> >

>

I've tried Ivervectin for my 6 dogs & found it completely useless.

Revolution helped a bit but from all my research Mitaban seemed to be

the favored one, although Ive haven't tried that. You must also be

sure to pick up your dog droppings to ensure they dont re-digest the

excrement. As u know many dogs will eat their own or each others poop,

for reasons known only to them. I also add 1tsp of cider vinegar/1qrt.

of water to their drinking bucket. it helps to flush their system,

keeps tics & fleas away, & is suppose to to dry the bugs frm the

inside out should they decide to bite them. I also bathe them 1 wk

with Hartz 2in1 Citrus flea/tick/lice shampoo. I found it works great

& we spray them several times a day with a solution of several drops

of lemon juiceor oil/3tblsp mint listerine mouthwash/2-4tblsp of epsom

salts mixed in a 710mlspray bottle. It seems to keep the kooties from

bothering them so much. I also spray their bedding with it or sprinkle

gold bond xstrenghth body pwdr (grn bottle) around their areas.

I also will sprinkle borax Mule20 around their bedding or add it to

the spray bttle just to change it frm time to time and mix cider

vinegar.My dogs are lrg. & dont always drink as much as they should so

I add 1/2 a lid of the vinegar to their food once a day also but you

want to be careful as it MAY upset their stomach at first.My dogs were

use to the mixture in the drinking water as its an old remedy to

prevents fleas/ticks. I hope this helps somewhat.TEE