RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why stay in the hospital?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/24/2006 11:54:19 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:

Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-4 days is? Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection? Are you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go? Is it because you get a lot of PT while you're there? Is it for the PMM? Is it so they can be sure you walk a certain amt? Bleeding? Clots? All of the above?

Thanks.

Ann

Hi Ann, I wasn't out of it with the pain meds. I took Percocet which made it better I guess. I didn't use the Morphine pump. I hardly got any PT except for the CPM machine and that didn't hurt me at all. I would fall asleep while using it. I would think that it would be clots, and infection. When the 4 days was up I was very ready to go home.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:15:53 A.M. Central Standard Time, blueopal@... writes:

Blood clots for one, infection and a host of other

problems. Once you're home you will wish you

had a few more days in the hospital especially if

you had both done at once like I did. Being whacked

out on IV drugs is a good thing. You will probably

have a "happy button" so you can administer your

own whoopee meds up to 2 times per ? hours. Once

home and on oral meds you won't be able to eat

hardly at all. The only think that tasted palatable to me were bananas and cottage cheese which of course

are constipating as are the pain meds. Oh you will

appreciate being in the hospital believe me. Buy

some prune juice before you go in. You will need

it when ya get home.

Sherry

Yeah, that's right, I did eat lots of prunes also. I remember I sent my husband to go buy some. I had an appetite but it was weird. It was still for snack things like I got in the hospital, see everyone is different. I didn't really like the hospital food. I had a very nice nurse smuggle me 4 oranges in the middle of the night. I was like addicted to them. I guess maybe I needed them? I did miss being waited on hand and foot, but my husband was pretty good. He got tired of bringing water and froze a milk jug and as it melted I could drink it. I also had a goody bag right by the bed with ready to eat stuff. Also, try to get some of those straws that bend, I just saved mine from my water at the hospital.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:26:05 A.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:

I don't object to being in the hospital, just wondered why so long. I don't suppose anyone here managed to make it w/o pain drugs? I hate them. I'm sure I'd love the self-administered morphine drip, but I got horribly constipated just from one little Vicodin tablet (capsule?). They hadn't warned me that it was constipating. This was an outpatient surgery (partial meniscectomy). I'll never forget that day.

Ann

Nope, but I know from experience that Morphine makes me very uptight. You can always stop it though, the Dr. will have ordered the meds too. I also asked if I could up my dosage of the Percocet and he had no problem with that at all.

Guest guest

Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-4 days is? Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection? Are you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go? Is it because you get a lot of PT while you're there? Is it for the PMM? Is it so they can be sure you walk a certain amt? Bleeding? Clots? All of the above?

Thanks.

Ann

Guest guest

hardly at all. The only think that tasted palatable to me were bananas and cottage cheese which of course

it when ya get home.

Sherry

Why stay in the hospital?

Thanks.

Ann

Guest guest

I craved oranges when I was preggers with my first

kid back when dinasoars walked the earth. One

good thing about me not being able to eat was I

lost almost 22 lb's ....then gained it back in a few

months. Oh well I'm an old bag and don't care.

Sherry

Re: Why stay in the hospital?

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:15:53 A.M. Central Standard Time, blueopalhutchtel (DOT) net writes:

it when ya get home.

Sherry

Yeah, that's right, I did eat lots of prunes also. I remember I sent my husband to go buy some. I had an appetite but it was weird. It was still for snack things like I got in the hospital, see everyone is different. I didn't really like the hospital food. I had a very nice nurse smuggle me 4 oranges in the middle of the night. I was like addicted to them. I guess maybe I needed them? I did miss being waited on hand and foot, but my husband was pretty good. He got tired of bringing water and froze a milk jug and as it melted I could drink it. I also had a goody bag right by the bed with ready to eat stuff. Also, try to get some of those straws that bend, I just saved mine from my water at the hospital.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:43:29 P.M. Central Standard Time, meuw@... writes:

I know what you mean. My hubby got so constipated from the pain meds that he had to go to the Doctor and have it literally dug out and that was painful.On Aug 24, 2006, at 10:23 PM, Ann wrote:> I don't object to being in the hospital, just wondered why so long. I > don't suppose anyone here managed to make it w/o pain drugs? I hate > them. I'm sure I'd love the self-administered morphine drip, but I > got horribly constipated just from one little Vicodin tablet > (capsule?). They hadn't warned me that it was constipating. This was > an outpatient surgery (partial meniscectomy). I'll never forget that > day.

Oohh, so what is a partial meniscectomy. What I had was done while I was setting on the toilet! The nurse though did literally dig it out.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:57:11 P.M. Central Standard Time, meuw@... writes:

Another reason you stay in the hospital is you have a couple of small drains in you leg and they monitor the blood that is collected. When the drains are removed tit doesn't hurt though. You also wear those ted stockings and they will remove them to see how your legs are. Clotting is one thing they watch closely for.On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Elaine Poage wrote:

See with my back fusion they had the blood draining into this little ball thing, and with my knees they pumped it back into me somehow.

Guest guest

there are a lot of reasons. they monitor you quite closely and watch

how well you can walk. Believe me I would not want to go home right

after surgery. Also they must change the dressing and for the first

couple of days you wear these sock like things that pump air around you

leg and release it so help with the circulation plus you are on the

pain pump.. You need therapy for 6-8 weeks after surgery. Do a google

search on your computer for TKR and you will learn a lot about it.

Both of mine went excellent but i would have been very nervous to have

gone straight home. You won't be as capable as you might think the

first few days.

On Aug 24, 2006, at 9:51 PM, Ann wrote:

> Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-4

> days is?  Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection?  Are

> you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go?  Is it because

> you get a lot of PT while you're there?  Is it for the PMM?  Is it so

> they can be sure you walk a certain amt?  Bleeding?  Clots?  All of

> the above?

>  

> Thanks.

>  

> Ann

>

>

" It is risky to go out on a limb but that is where the fruit is. "

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 1:53:45 P.M. Central Standard Time, blueopal@... writes:

They do that a lot for knee surgery rather than give you a blood transfusion. I had predonated my own blood a few days before surgery and I got it back but

they still filtered and put the blood lost during surgery

back into me. I refuse to take blood off the shelf. I'd

rather take my dogs.

Sherry

Yeah, for my back I also gave my own blood. But for my knees he didn't say I need too. That's probably why I had the trouble with the #2 also, cause I had to take iron before the surgery and boy, that's constipating also. It was just a bad combination. I would probably rather take my dogs blood also.

Guest guest

I know what you mean. My hubby got so constipated from the pain meds

that he had to go to the Doctor and have it literally dug out and

that was painful.

On Aug 24, 2006, at 10:23 PM, Ann wrote:

> I don't object to being in the hospital, just wondered why so long.  I

> don't suppose anyone here managed to make it w/o pain drugs?  I hate

> them.  I'm sure I'd love the self-administered morphine drip, but I

> got horribly constipated just from one little Vicodin tablet

> (capsule?).  They hadn't warned me that it was constipating.  This was

> an outpatient surgery (partial meniscectomy).  I'll never forget that

> day. 

>  

> Ann

>  

>  

>> Why stay in the hospital?

>>>

>>>

>>> Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-4

>>> days is?  Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection?  Are

>>> you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go?  Is it because

>>> you get a lot of PT while you're there?  Is it for the PMM?  Is it

>>> so they can be sure you walk a certain amt?  Bleeding?  Clots?  All

>>> of the above?

>>>  

>>> Thanks.

>>>  

>>> Ann

>>>

>

" Relying on God has to begin every day as if nothing had yet been done. "

Guest guest

Another reason you stay in the hospital is you have a couple of small

drains in you leg and they monitor the blood that is collected. When

the drains are removed tit doesn't hurt though. You also wear those

ted stockings and they will remove them to see how your legs are.

Clotting is one thing they watch closely for.

On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Elaine Poage wrote:

> there are a lot of reasons. they monitor you quite closely and watch

> how well you can walk. Believe me I would not want to go home right

> after surgery. Also they must change the dressing and for the first

> couple of days you wear these sock like things that pump air around

> you leg and release it so help with the circulation plus you are on

> the pain pump.. You need therapy for 6-8 weeks after surgery. Do a

> google search on your computer for TKR and you will learn a lot about

> it. Both of mine went excellent but i would have been very nervous to

> have gone straight home. You won't be as capable as you might think

> the first few days.

> On Aug 24, 2006, at 9:51 PM, Ann wrote:

>

>> Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-4

>> days is?  Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection?  Are

>> you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go?  Is it because

>> you get a lot of PT while you're there?  Is it for the PMM?  Is it so

>> they can be sure you walk a certain amt?  Bleeding?  Clots?  All of

>> the above?

>>  

>> Thanks.

>>  

>> Ann

>>

>>

> " It is risky to go out on a limb but that is where the fruit is. "

>

The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace

of God will not protect you.

Guest guest

Hi Bob,

Actually, when I started my PT they were very concerned about my discoloration. Even my bottom

was bruised. The gal actually asked if my husband

ever beat me. I was shocked but.... She called my

OS and he told her a lot of people have that experience and it is not all that unusual. It took months before it finally left. They'd never seen anyone in that shape.

Sherry

Re: Why stay in the hospital?> > > > Blood clots for one, infection and a host of other> problems. Once you're home you will wish you> had a few more days in the hospital especially if> you had both done at once like I did. Being whacked> out on IV drugs is a good thing. You will probably> have a "happy button" so you can administer your> own whoopee meds up to 2 times per ? hours. Once> home and on oral meds you won't be able to eat> hardly at all. The only think that tasted palatable to me were bananas and cottage cheese which of course> are constipating as are the pain meds. Oh you will> appreciate being in the hospital believe me. Buy> some prune juice before you go in. You will need> it when ya get home.> > Sherry>

Guest guest

Impaction... :o( owweee

Sherry

Why stay in the hospital?Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-4 days is? Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection? Are you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go? Is it because you get a lot of PT while you're there? Is it for the PMM? Is it so they can be sure you walk a certain amt? Bleeding? Clots? All of the above? Thanks. Ann "Relying on God has to begin every day as if nothing had yet been done."

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:27:45 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:

A partial meniscectomy is where they remove part of a meniscus (which, as you probably know, is a thick piece of (non-articular) cartilage that lives on the top of your tibia. It's thicker on the outer edges, I think to help keep the femur from sliding off the tibia. I had a tear all the way through the thinner part of the meniscus & the thinner part was removed. This means the femur is now sitting on the tibia & will lead to arthritis. I've had lateral partial meniscectomies in both knees. As you get older, your menisci get more brittle, and this is the consequence. Strangely, after the 1st one I had zero pain, and after the 2nd one, minimal pain. You'd think removing part of the meniscus so the femur sits on the tibia would hurt, but it didn't, much.

Ann

Thanks, I had never heard of that.

Guest guest

bob, I think yo0u may have gotten the two Sherry's..i's

mixed up. I haven't posted anything till today about

being black and blue except today and the previous

time was way back in January I believe. Oh well. Most of us get discolored.

Sherry

Re: Why stay in the hospital?> > > > Blood clots for one, infection and a host of other> problems. Once you're home you will wish you> had a few more days in the hospital especially if> you had both done at once like I did. Being whacked> out on IV drugs is a good thing. You will probably> have a "happy button" so you can administer your> own whoopee meds up to 2 times per ? hours. Once> home and on oral meds you won't be able to eat> hardly at all. The only think that tasted palatable to me were bananas and cottage cheese which of course> are constipating as are the pain meds. Oh you will> appreciate being in the hospital believe me. Buy> some prune juice before you go in. You will need> it when ya get home.> > Sherry>

Guest guest

They do that a lot for knee surgery rather than give you a blood transfusion. I had predonated my own blood a few days before surgery and I got it back but

they still filtered and put the blood lost during surgery

back into me. I refuse to take blood off the shelf. I'd

rather take my dogs.

Sherry

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:57:11 P.M. Central Standard Time, meuwwhidbey writes:

Another reason you stay in the hospital is you have a couple of small drains in you leg and they monitor the blood that is collected. When the drains are removed tit doesn't hurt though. You also wear those ted stockings and they will remove them to see how your legs are. Clotting is one thing they watch closely for.On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Elaine Poage wrote:

See with my back fusion they had the blood draining into this little ball thing, and with my knees they pumped it back into me somehow.

Guest guest

So many Sherry's...So little time...

Bob...Happy health to all!!!

>

> bob, I think you may have gotten the two Sherry's...

Guest guest

I was in the hospital for 4 days. I don't know about your experience

but I was pretty busy for at least 3 of those days. I spent 1-2 of

them hooked up to a Patient-controlled-anesthesia machine and with a

Foley. I was on an IV for three days. I got antibiotics through the

IV for a day. I had PT & OT each day. It took me three days to get

to the stair-climbing part. It took two people to roll me over on my

side periodically. I wasn't " out of it " as you termed it; instead I

got better each day. And by day 4 I was ready and eager to go home.

I guess I'd say that 4 days was a pretty good estimate of what it

would take to get me back on the road to recovery.

>

> Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-

4 days is? Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection?

Are you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go? Is it

because you get a lot of PT while you're there? Is it for the PMM?

Is it so they can be sure you walk a certain amt? Bleeding? Clots?

All of the above?

>

> Thanks.

>

> Ann

>

Guest guest

I do remember after an operation I had in 1977, they gave me something that lasted 2 days and it was then that I understood why people become addicted to drugs. It was a wonderful 2 days.

Ann

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:15:53 A.M. Central Standard Time, blueopalhutchtel (DOT) net writes:

it when ya get home.

Sherry

Guest guest

Lost weight, eh? Sounds like a good thing.

When I moved up here (WA, from CA), I had 30 days in which to pack a 2500 sf. house all by myself. I wasn't used to such work. First few days I could only work for 2 hrs or so before I collapsed. After I got my stamina built up, I worked essentially all day, packing boxes, moving them downstairs, etc. I lost 17 lbs in those 30 days. 17 lbs I could definitely afford to lose. I'm still 15 lb overweight, and would welcome total loss of appetite.

-- thanks for the straw idea. Yeah, I know I'll miss being waited on hand & foot. I'm sure I was born to the aristocracy but got lost through the floorboards at some point.

Ann

it when ya get home.

Sherry

Guest guest

AGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Ann

Why stay in the hospital?Does anyone know what the purpose of staying in the hospital for 3-4 days is? Do they want to make sure you don't get an infection? Are you so out of it w/pain drugs they can't let you go? Is it because you get a lot of PT while you're there? Is it for the PMM? Is it so they can be sure you walk a certain amt? Bleeding? Clots? All of the above? Thanks. Ann "Relying on God has to begin every day as if nothing had yet been done."

Guest guest

A partial meniscectomy is where they remove part of a meniscus (which, as you probably know, is a thick piece of (non-articular) cartilage that lives on the top of your tibia. It's thicker on the outer edges, I think to help keep the femur from sliding off the tibia. I had a tear all the way through the thinner part of the meniscus & the thinner part was removed. This means the femur is now sitting on the tibia & will lead to arthritis. I've had lateral partial meniscectomies in both knees. As you get older, your menisci get more brittle, and this is the consequence. Strangely, after the 1st one I had zero pain, and after the 2nd one, minimal pain. You'd think removing part of the meniscus so the femur sits on the tibia would hurt, but it didn't, much.

Ann

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:43:29 P.M. Central Standard Time, meuwwhidbey writes:

I know what you mean. My hubby got so constipated from the pain meds that he had to go to the Doctor and have it literally dug out and that was painful.On Aug 24, 2006, at 10:23 PM, Ann wrote:> I don't object to being in the hospital, just wondered why so long. I > don't suppose anyone here managed to make it w/o pain drugs? I hate > them. I'm sure I'd love the self-administered morphine drip, but I > got horribly constipated just from one little Vicodin tablet > (capsule?). They hadn't warned me that it was constipating. This was > an outpatient surgery (partial meniscectomy). I'll never forget that > day.

Oohh, so what is a partial meniscectomy. What I had was done while I was setting on the toilet! The nurse though did literally dig it out.

Guest guest

My doc told me I'd donate 1 pint of my own blood. I feel the same way. I'd rather have my cats' blood than random human blood.

Ann

In a message dated 8/25/2006 12:57:11 P.M. Central Standard Time, meuwwhidbey writes:

Guest guest

Well, pre donate unless your hubby or someone close

to a match or is O which is universal. I get horribly

ill when I donate blood even though my blood is too

rich. I created a rather embarrassing scene at the

Memorial Bood Bank.

Sherry