RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

some hurts it depends where they are at and how deep. It more like a sting.Shirleyi RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes>>>>>> | I've been having worse & worse pain in my whole leg, which started >> about 6>> months after a RTKR that was doing great. My OS tells me that this is>> referred pain from my hip, which is bone-on-bone. So I just got my >> date for>> hip surgery (cemented), Friday Dec. 8. I'm fed up with the pain & >> disability, but have tried to stay mobile & have done water exercise >> about>> twice/week.>> |>> | Since I just had my right knee replaced a year ago, I've been >> assuming>> that my recovery will be similar from the hip operation. What do you >> think?>> |>> | I'd like to

know what kind of clothes I'll be able to get on; that >> is,>> will I have a big thick bandage or a wrap or what? Were you able to >> wear>> stretchy slacks?>> |>> | Barbara Ward>> | Macomb County, Michigan>>>> Send instant messages to your online friends >> http://au.messenger.>>>>>>

Guest guest

A lot will depend on the "touch" of the nurse removing them, but at its worst, it's not as bad as having a splinter removed.

Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of lindySent: 18 November, 2006 4:28 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes

speaking of staples, do they hurt to be removed -- i've never had staples.

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

It was a breeze -- a pinch at most. And that is what everyone else has told me their experience was. It's a vulnerable time -- just when you feel that even a pinch could put you over the edge. But truly, I had mine removed effortlessly. And the PT said said, "Okay, guess what, because you did that and it's a beautiful fall afternoon, you can play hooky. No therapy." And my friend who went with me took me took me on my first outing -- at the mall -- in a wheel chair we picked there. I will remember it as one of the best days.I was out in the real world. Bought some fall t-shirts and pumpkin candles. I've never given the staple removal another thought until I read this message. on <mdavison@...> wrote: A lot will depend on the "touch" of the nurse removing them, but at its worst, it's not as bad as having a splinter removed. Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004 mdavisonnetvision (DOT) net.il From:

Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of lindySent: 18 November, 2006 4:28 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes speaking of staples, do they hurt to be removed -- i've never had staples. My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Sponsored Link Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro-*Terms

Guest guest

When I had my Staples remove from my hip they left them in to long their for they where harder to get out and hurt :-( Susie on <mdavison@...> wrote: A lot will depend on the "touch" of the nurse removing them, but at its worst, it's not as bad as having a splinter removed. Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004 mdavisonnetvision (DOT) net.il From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of lindySent: 18 November, 2006 4:28 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Re:

RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes speaking of staples, do they hurt to be removed -- i've never had staples. My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

Hi That is so strange I always hear that the Hip is not as hard as the knee I had both done on my right side and I have to say that the Hip was harder then the knee to me:-( SusieMargaret <zztinau@...> wrote: Hi Barbara,I haven't had a knee done, but the general "folk lore" is that knees are harder than hips, so you should be ok.I didn't have any problem wearing my normal clothes after my THR. Infact the covering was more like a big band-aide

(Like what you would put on a cut finger). The covering only stayed on for a couple of weeks and was more to stop the staples catching on my clothes than anything else. Once all the staples were out we didn't cover it any more.Good luck with it.Aussie MargaretRTHR 1990 revised 2004 RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes| I've been having worse & worse pain in my whole leg, which started about 6 months after a RTKR that was doing great. My OS tells me that this is referred pain from my hip, which is bone-on-bone. So I just got my date for hip surgery (cemented), Friday Dec. 8. I'm fed up with the pain & disability, but have tried to stay mobile & have done water exercise about

twice/week.|| Since I just had my right knee replaced a year ago, I've been assuming that my recovery will be similar from the hip operation. What do you think?|| I'd like to know what kind of clothes I'll be able to get on; that is, will I have a big thick bandage or a wrap or what? Were you able to wear stretchy slacks?|| Barbara Ward| Macomb County, MichiganSend instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

The general consensus is that the hip replacement is more work for the surgeon, but the rehab is easier for the patient. How true this is for each individual differs somewhat from case to case, depending on so many variables that it's hard to predict which will be easier for a particular person, but more people find the hip surgery easier to recover from than the knee.

It can depend on the comparative state of the joints (if you were bone-on-bone in the hip, but not in the knee, it's likely that hip rehab will be harder-- you have more to "unlearn" and rehabilitate), the skill of the surgeon and the PT staff, your own pain tolerance, your determination and consistency in the rehab PT and so much more...

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Suzanne SnyderSent: 18 November, 2006 10:16 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes

Hi That is so strange I always hear that the Hip is not as hard as the knee I had both done on my right side and I have to say that the Hip was harder then the knee to me:-(

Susie

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

Barbara asked:

> | I'd like to know what kind of clothes I'll be able to get on;

> that is,

> will I have a big thick bandage or a wrap or what? Were you able to

> wear

> stretchy slacks?

The covering on your wound will be either like a giant band-aid, or

taped on gauze (if you are sensitive to the glue on the sticky-style

dressings.)

With regards to clothes, you may find your thigh is rather swollen

and tender at the start, so loose soft clothing is very useful.

Nothing that puts pressure on the area, or rubs. Very loose-cut

pyjama-style trousers are my favourite thing for post-surgery. You'll

be stiff, too, so clothes that you have to struggle with are tricky.

It's much easier to get loose clothing on with little bending or

wriggling than to fight your way into something snug or stretchy.

Might be worth finding a few pairs of boxer-style underpants, too. So

you don't have any tight elastic cutting across fresh scars.

All extra comfort is good when you're feeling a bit bashed-up after

an operation.

good luck with the op!

Guest guest

after watching that surgery of the knee online the other day, OUCH, i would have to think the knees would be worse, but never having either done, well i don't know. do you all know whether or not they chisel away bone on the hip joint the same way they do on the knee -- and measure with that instrument to get the pefect angle, etc. it's so precise, which is good, but i had no idea what all went into it. it's amazing really, what they can do. 0

----- Original Message -----

Hi That is so strange I always hear that the Hip is not as hard as the knee I had both done on my right side and I have to say that the Hip was harder then the knee to me:-(

Susie

Guest guest

hi again michael,

what does this mean exactly?

you have more to "unlearn"

The general consensus is that the hip replacement is more work for the surgeon, but the rehab is easier for the patient. How true this is for each individual differs somewhat from case to case, depending on so many variables that it's hard to predict which will be easier for a particular person, but more people find the hip surgery easier to recover from than the knee.

It can depend on the comparative state of the joints (if you were bone-on-bone in the hip, but not in the knee, it's likely that hip rehab will be harder-- you have more to "unlearn" and rehabilitate), the skill of the surgeon and the PT staff, your own pain tolerance, your determination and consistency in the rehab PT and so much more...

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Suzanne SnyderSent: 18 November, 2006 10:16 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes

Susie

Guest guest

good advice katie

Might be worth finding a few pairs of boxer-style underpants, too.

Barbara asked:> | I'd like to know what kind of clothes I'll be able to get on; > that is,> will I have a big thick bandage or a wrap or what? Were you able to > wear> stretchy slacks?The covering on your wound will be either like a giant band-aid, or taped on gauze (if you are sensitive to the glue on the sticky-style dressings.)With regards to clothes, you may find your thigh is rather swollen and tender at the start, so loose soft clothing is very useful. Nothing that puts pressure on the area, or rubs. Very loose-cut pyjama-style trousers are my favourite thing for post-surgery. You'll be stiff, too, so clothes that you have to struggle with are tricky. It's much easier to get loose clothing on with little bending or wriggling than to fight your way into something snug or stretchy.Might be worth finding a few pairs of boxer-style underpants, too. So you don't have any tight elastic cutting across fresh scars.All extra comfort is good when you're feeling a bit bashed-up after an operation.good luck with the op!

Guest guest

The staple removal burns a little

but I think with me it was more from the alcohol they

wiped me down with first. For all it hurts the relief afterwards makes

up for it. Now you

get to deal with the itching when all of the little holes start to

heal!

Guest guest

As the joints grow worse, we tend to develop bad walking habits to compensate. After surgery, we have to unlearn these habits before we can progress.

By the way, about dressing: The rehab personnel showed us a simple but effective way to minimize the effort of getting pants on...

Take two clamps or hefty clothespins, and tie them to a length of cord about 7 feet long. When you want to put on your pants, clip the clamps/pins to opposite sides of the beltline, and lay the pants on the floor opposite your chair.

Insert your feet into the top of the pants legs, and draw the pants over your legs by reeling them in like a fish on a line. It works perfectly, and doesn't force you to bend the hip past the allowable 90 defree angle to get your pants on. This "gadget" is taught to the knee replacement candiates, too... everyone used them.

mdavison@...

hi again michael,

mdavison@...

Susie

Guest guest

that's such a cool idea -- i'm definitely saving THIS message. thanks michael!

lin DUH lu

As the joints grow worse, we tend to develop bad walking habits to compensate. After surgery, we have to unlearn these habits before we can progress.

By the way, about dressing: The rehab personnel showed us a simple but effective way to minimize the effort of getting pants on...

Take two clamps or hefty clothespins, and tie them to a length of cord about 7 feet long. When you want to put on your pants, clip the clamps/pins to opposite sides of the beltline, and lay the pants on the floor opposite your chair.

Insert your feet into the top of the pants legs, and draw the pants over your legs by reeling them in like a fish on a line. It works perfectly, and doesn't force you to bend the hip past the allowable 90 defree angle to get your pants on. This "gadget" is taught to the knee replacement candiates, too... everyone used them.

mdavison@...

hi again michael,

mdavison@...

Susie

Guest guest

ouch, sorry susie

When I had my Staples remove from my hip they left them in to long their for they where harder to get out and hurt :-(

Susie

Guest guest

this is a relief to know thanks donna

lindy

It was a breeze -- a pinch at most. And that is what everyone else has told me their experience was. It's a vulnerable time -- just when you feel that even a pinch could put you over the edge. But truly, I had mine removed effortlessly. And the PT said said, "Okay, guess what, because you did that and it's a beautiful fall afternoon, you can play hooky. No therapy." And my friend who went with me took me took me on my first outing -- at the mall -- in a wheel chair we picked there. I will remember it as one of the best days.I was out in the real world. Bought some fall t-shirts and pumpkin candles. I've never given the staple removal another thought until I read this message.

Guest guest

i can handle splinters. ;-)

A lot will depend on the "touch" of the nurse removing them, but at its worst, it's not as bad as having a splinter removed.

Guest guest

and, i can handle a sting,

lindy

some hurts it depends where they are at and how deep. It more like a sting.Shirley

Guest guest

denise,

that's a big relief. ;-)

lindy

I never had them either and I was so scared to have them removed, but it didn't hurt at all!! I was amazed at how easily they came out!

Guest guest

great!

Mine didn't either time as i have had both knees done.

speaking of staples, do they hurt to be removed -- i've never had staples.

Guest guest

Hi Linny Thanks I guess everyones Drs are differant :-( Susielindy <everyothername.istaken@...> wrote: ouch, sorry susie When I had my Staples remove from my hip they left them in to long their for they where harder to get out and hurt :-( Susie

Guest guest

Hi , You are right but what gets me is that I wanted my Knee done first and my dr said no that I needed the hip done first ,Well after I get my Hip replacement done That good Dr tells me that my Hip bone wastn't that bad the Dr never to me anything about my knee .Well you take care and have a nice day . Susie on <mdavison@...> wrote: The general consensus is that the hip replacement is more work for the surgeon, but the rehab is easier for the patient. How true this is for each individual differs somewhat from case to case, depending on so many variables that it's hard to predict which will be easier for a particular person, but more people find the hip surgery easier to recover from than the knee. It can depend on the comparative state of the

joints (if you were bone-on-bone in the hip, but not in the knee, it's likely that hip rehab will be harder-- you have more to "unlearn" and rehabilitate), the skill of the surgeon and the PT staff, your own pain tolerance, your determination and consistency in the rehab PT and so much more... Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004 mdavisonnetvision (DOT) net.il From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Suzanne SnyderSent: 18 November, 2006 10:16 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Re:

RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes Hi That is so strange I always hear that the Hip is not as hard as the knee I had both done on my right side and I have to say that the Hip was harder then the knee to me:-( Susie My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

Susie--

Doctors seem to consider themselves above us mere mortals-- if you need to know something, don't wait for a doctor to bring it up, just ASK! If you don't ask, it's awfully unlikely that the doc will volunteer information.

Second opinions are always a good idea, too.

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Suzanne SnyderSent: 21 November, 2006 9:46 AMJoint Replacement Subject: RE: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes

Hi ,

You are right but what gets me is that I wanted my Knee done first and my dr said no that I needed the hip done first ,Well after I get my Hip replacement done That good Dr tells me that my Hip bone wastn't that bad the Dr never to me anything about my knee .Well you take care and have a nice day .

Susie

Guest guest

Hi , I think Dr's when they find out I'm Hard of Hearing they act liked they don't want to talked to you and its hard to get someone to go with me everyone works and has their own life :-) So I just live the best I can , I did start taking walks with my on Wheels that's the best thing my Son brought me . I went to a second Dr and he told me he didn't do the operation so he couldn't tell what was wrong with me and I should go back to the Dr that did the operations on me He did tell me I have 'bursit on the new hip. Well you take care and have a nice day:-) Susie on <mdavison@...> wrote: Susie-- Doctors seem to consider themselves above us mere mortals-- if you need to know something, don't wait for a doctor to bring it up, just ASK! If you don't ask, it's awfully unlikely that the doc will volunteer information. Second opinions are always a good idea, too. Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004 mdavisonnetvision (DOT) net.il From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Suzanne SnyderSent: 21 November, 2006 9:46 AMJoint Replacement Subject: RE: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes Hi , You are right but what gets me is that I wanted my Knee done first and my dr said no that I needed the hip done first ,Well after I get my Hip replacement done That good Dr tells me that my Hip bone wastn't that bad the Dr never to me anything about my knee .Well you take care and have a nice day . Susie My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

Hi Susie,

I just had an idea. In Australia you could ask for an interpreter. Do you

sign? If you do, I would ask that they organise an interpreter for you.

It is very difficult if the doctor cannot talk easily with you, and in Aust

there are services available to help.

I don't know about services in your country, but there might be something

you can tap into. Maybe there is a deaf society, or something like that.

Or maybe you lipread. If you lipread tell the doctor that you are hearing

impaired, but can lipread if he faces you when talking to you.

You must love the way the internet allows you to be able to communicate on

an equal footing.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

RE: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes

| Hi ,

| I think Dr's when they find out I'm Hard of Hearing they act liked they

don't want to talked to you and its hard to get someone to go with me

everyone works and has their own life :-)

| So I just live the best I can , I did start taking walks with my

on Wheels that's the best thing my Son brought me . I went to a second Dr

and he told me he didn't do the operation so he couldn't tell what was wrong

with me and I should go back to the Dr that did the operations on me He did

tell me I have 'bursit on the new hip. Well you take care and have a nice

day:-)

| Susie

|

|

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

Hey Susie

Let me throw in a few comments. Like you, I am severly hearing impaired and the written word is a haven for me. Aussie Margaret was so correct in saying how "equal" I feel in a forum like TJR. I have not been to a picture theatre for more than 40 years and never watch television, but I still feel that I have an enriched life.

I endorse all Margaret's suggestions but would also add another. There are portable induction loop devices which your doctor can wear around his neck and which you operate by moving the "T" switch on your aids. I have no idea of the price, unfortunately.

Even if you don't think that you lip-read you probably do it unconsciously. The ENT doc proved to me that I lip read extensively. Does your doctor have a beard? I have real problems hearing somebody with a beard because I cannot see the lips moving.

I was very angry when I read your comments that the doctors don't want to talk to you when they find you are hearing impaired. They should be reported to their professional association. Occasionally people become frustrated when i ask them to repeat something a number of times, but mostly I encounter tolerance. I do have a fear of people thinking me rude if I don't answer them because i don't hear them. When I was in the Army I tried to always take a partner to noisy functions. One lady I often went with used to say to people, "He's not bl**dy ignorant, he just didn't hear you!"

I hope you're having a great day Susie.

Aussie >Hi Susie,>>I just had an idea. In Australia you could ask for an interpreter. Do you>sign? If you do, I would ask that they organise an interpreter for you.>>It is very difficult if the doctor cannot talk easily with you, and in Aust>there are services available to help.>>I don't know about services in your country, but there might be something>you can tap into. Maybe there is a deaf society, or something like that.>>Or maybe you lipread. If you lipread tell the doctor that you are hearing>impaired, but can lipread if he faces you when talking to you.>>You must love the way the internet allows you to be able to communicate on>an equal footing.>>Aussie Margaret>RTHR 1990 revised 2004>> RE: RTHR coming Dec. 8, ? about clothes>>>| Hi ,>| I think Dr's when they find out I'm Hard of Hearing they act liked they>don't want to talked to you and its hard to get someone to go with me>everyone works and has their own life :-)>| So I just live the best I can , I did start taking walks with my >on Wheels that's the best thing my Son brought me . I went to a second Dr>and he told me he didn't do the operation so he couldn't tell what was wrong>with me and I should go back to the Dr that did the operations on me He did>tell me I have 'bursit on the new hip. Well you take care and have a nice>day:-)>| Susie>|>|>>Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.>>>