RemedySpot.com

hello

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I didn't have a problem day or night. My husband is hard of hearing and he did just fine too. MarilouDr. AcevesVSG~February 5, 2010 On May 11, 2010, at 4:44 PM, SuzanneSH@... wrote:During the day ALL the nurses when I was there spoke excellent English. It is only at night that this is some language barriers. And you can work around that pretty easy. Suzanne In a message dated 5/11/2010 2:07:25 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, wmsobczykwi (DOT) rr.com writes: My family was the same. In fact, they thought I was nuts.It's all good though. And now that I'm back and they see that I'm down nearly 30 lbs in just over 3 weeks, I don't think they know what to say. It's not really talked about anymore in terms of worry, just - how much have you lost now? Wow, I can really tell, especially in your face. Stuff like that.Dr. Aceves and his staff are very professional and on top of things. I was skeptical going into this, but I am a believer now.They will take care of you, don't worry. The only minor downside is the language barrier with the nurses, but you can get around that with the english/spanish translation sheet they provide to you for common requests and responses.---- "angela.usry" <angela.usry > wrote: So, I have made up my mind to get the sleeve, but my family is not on board. My husband is, but my sisters and parents are not. They are nervous for me to go to Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hey Pam,

We all have to experience what you did. Being scared, questioning if we are doing the right thing. You had seen other people post about how great it was and how well taken care of you are, but until you experienced it yourself it is hard to give you that feeling that you wanted or needed--now you know what we were talking about.

I am thrilled that you feeling this way. The things that you are posting are helping someone who is right behind you and not sure about if they are doing the right thing. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. You are going to be fine, and when I say that, now you believe me don't you. Fly home will be OK too.

Please listen to this and know we are here for you. The next 30 days are going to be the hardest for you. But, girl you can do anything for 30 days and when you get bored just remember I said it only last for 30 days and you can do it.

Come back at us with any questions that you have there are so many people on here who will jump in and help you. There are no stupid or bad questions--ask away please. We are you new best friends from here on out. We want you to be successful, happy, and healthy which you are going to be.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Guest guest

Hi Pam,

So that just proves what I just said. You made her feel so much better and she may have a little easier time because of what you said. Look her up tomorrow and tell her HI. It is always nice to make weight loss friends when you are there. Exchange E-mails and stay in contact with each other. Take some before pictures of yourself and your new friends who have had weight loss surgery. One year from now you will cherish this pictures I promise you!

Suzanne

Guest guest

Have you read the documents sent to you by link when you joined?

A lot of your questions will be answered by that.

What will your dose be at 16 drops of 5%? You should figure that

out, it would help.

Donna in IL

iodine [mailto:iodine ] On Behalf Of boystyle

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:06 PM

iodine

Subject: Re: Hello

Hello can someone answer my questions please :)

>

> Hello All,

>

> I just joined the group and need a advices / suggestions.

>

> I just got lugols and trying to start supplementing, previously I was

> supplementing with Iosol which is a weaker version I suppose...

>

> I know that the patch test isnt reliable but I tried it anyways, I painted

a

> 2x2 area and lugols was completely absorbed within a few hours.

>

> I also have companion supplements to go with it:

>

> 2000mg vit c

> 200mcg selenium

> 400mg magnesium

>

> I am thinking of doing 16 drops of lugols per day as I've heard its a bear

> minimum.

>

> I am 28 M and I just wanted to have sufficient levels of Iodine, not for

any

> specific issue..

>

> Some questions:

>

> - If the thyroid is ok, would Luglos hurt it? and can Iodine cause

> hypo/hyper conditions?

> - Should I continue with Iosol instead?

> - Is 16 drops per day a lot? for maintenance..

>

> Thanks a lot! and happy to meet all of you :)

>

Guest guest

The dose will be 100mg @ 16 drops of 5% LugolsOn Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Donna Iler <Donna@...> wrote:

out, it would help.

Donna in IL

iodine

>

> Hello All,

>

>

>

a

>

>

> 2000mg vit c

> 200mcg selenium

> 400mg magnesium

>

> minimum.

>

any

> specific issue..

>

> Some questions:

>

> hypo/hyper conditions?

>

>

Guest guest

Yes, I am very happy with my choice. I met here today and she will be going into surgery tomorrow. So best of luck to a great experience, you will do fine as the rest of us did. I am 3 days in so only 27 more days Suzanne and my 30 will be over. Thanks everyone for being there, it is so nice to know there are so many out there giving support to the newbys, and soon it will be us.

Its a great day,

Pam

From: "SuzanneSH@..." <SuzanneSH@...> Sent: Tue, June 8, 2010 8:40:40 PMSubject: Re: Hello

Hey Pam,

We all have to experience what you did. Being scared, questioning if we are doing the right thing. You had seen other people post about how great it was and how well taken care of you are, but until you experienced it yourself it is hard to give you that feeling that you wanted or needed--now you know what we were talking about.

I am thrilled that you feeling this way. The things that you are posting are helping someone who is right behind you and not sure about if they are doing the right thing. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. You are going to be fine, and when I say that, now you believe me don't you. Fly home will be OK too.

Please listen to this and know we are here for you. The next 30 days are going to be the hardest for you. But, girl you can do anything for 30 days and when you get bored just remember I said it only last for 30 days and you can do it.

Come back at us with any questions that you have there are so many people on here who will jump in and help you. There are no stupid or bad questions--ask away please. We are you new best friends from here on out. We want you to be successful, happy, and healthy which you are going to be.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Guest guest

Hi Pam,

There was a great group of people there for me when I was a newby too! I promised myself that this was the most amazing wonderful journey I had ever done for myself and I was going to try to give the same support I got.

27 days is such a short amount of time and you can do that hands down. Just take one day at a time. Before you know it you will be done with the clear liquids and moving on to stage two the creamy liquids and that is a pretty good stage. A lot more variety to chose from. Tell, Dr. Aceves I said Hi for me.

Enjoy your stay at the amazing hospital where they are going to take excellent care of you. Take some naps when you want and get up and walk around too.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Guest guest

Thanks for the reply...I am doing 20mg now, and I noticed that my head barely itches now... it used to itch a lot.. and I sleep better...On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM, wendy 56789 <wendy56789@...> wrote:

Usually people stay at around 50 mg a day if they don't have any problems.  If you're doing well where you are, there shouldn't be any harm at staying at 100.  You'll just pee out the excess.

~W

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM, NS <overloaded@...> wrote:

The dose will be 100mg @ 16 drops of 5% LugolsOn Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Donna Iler <Donna@...> wrote:

out, it would help.

Donna in IL

iodine

>

> Hello All,

>

>

>

a

>

>

> 2000mg vit c

> 200mcg selenium

> 400mg magnesium

>

> minimum.

>

any

> specific issue..

>

> Some questions:

>

> hypo/hyper conditions?

>

>

Guest guest

here!  Hi Pam.  It was so nice to meet you here in Mexicali.  I was so nervous when I got there and meeting you prior to the surgery did help some.  Surgery was thursday, yesterday was pretty rough for me, but I feel way better today.  I am able to drink without gagging on every sip!  I go in for my contrast xray soon so I am glad to get that step over with.  I will keep you updated and hope you continue to do so well Pam!

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Pam Farrington <pamfarrington58@...> wrote:

Yes, I am very happy with my choice.  I met here today and she will be going into surgery tomorrow.  So best of luck to a great experience, you will do fine as the rest of us did.  I am 3 days in so only 27 more days Suzanne and my 30 will be over.  Thanks everyone for being there, it is so nice to know there are so many out there giving support to the newbys, and soon it will be us.

Its a great day,

Pam

Sent: Tue, June 8, 2010 8:40:40 PM

Hey Pam,

We all have to experience what you did.  Being scared, questioning if we are doing the right thing.  You had seen other people post about how great it was and how well taken care of you are, but until you experienced it yourself it is hard to give you that feeling that you wanted or needed--now you know what we were talking about.

I am thrilled that you feeling this way.  The things that you are posting are helping someone who is right behind you and not sure about if they are doing the right thing.  Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience.  You are going to be fine, and when I say that, now you believe me don't you.  Fly home will be OK too. 

Please listen to this and know we are here for you.  The next 30 days are going to be the hardest for you.  But, girl you can do anything for 30 days and when you get bored just remember I said it only last for 30 days and you can do it. 

Come back at us with any questions that you have there are so many people on here who will jump in and help you. There are no stupid or bad questions--ask away please.  We are you new best friends from here on out.  We want you to be successful, happy, and healthy which you are going to be.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Guest guest

Congratulations to you both. The best is yet to come!!  =Dhttp://mwlj2010.blogspot.com/

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM, <nsalex75@...> wrote:

here!  Hi Pam.  It was so nice to meet you here in Mexicali.  I was so nervous when I got there and meeting you prior to the surgery did help some.  Surgery was thursday, yesterday was pretty rough for me, but I feel way better today.  I am able to drink without gagging on every sip!  I go in for my contrast xray soon so I am glad to get that step over with.  I will keep you updated and hope you continue to do so well Pam!

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Pam Farrington <pamfarrington58@...> wrote:

Yes, I am very happy with my choice.  I met here today and she will be going into surgery tomorrow.  So best of luck to a great experience, you will do fine as the rest of us did.  I am 3 days in so only 27 more days Suzanne and my 30 will be over.  Thanks everyone for being there, it is so nice to know there are so many out there giving support to the newbys, and soon it will be us.

Its a great day,

Pam

Sent: Tue, June 8, 2010 8:40:40 PM

Hey Pam,

We all have to experience what you did.  Being scared, questioning if we are doing the right thing.  You had seen other people post about how great it was and how well taken care of you are, but until you experienced it yourself it is hard to give you that feeling that you wanted or needed--now you know what we were talking about.

I am thrilled that you feeling this way.  The things that you are posting are helping someone who is right behind you and not sure about if they are doing the right thing.  Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience.  You are going to be fine, and when I say that, now you believe me don't you.  Fly home will be OK too. 

Please listen to this and know we are here for you.  The next 30 days are going to be the hardest for you.  But, girl you can do anything for 30 days and when you get bored just remember I said it only last for 30 days and you can do it. 

Come back at us with any questions that you have there are so many people on here who will jump in and help you. There are no stupid or bad questions--ask away please.  We are you new best friends from here on out.  We want you to be successful, happy, and healthy which you are going to be.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Guest guest

, hope you did well today with that nasty stuff we have to drink before the xray. LOL Sorry to hear you were having issues with the drinking but glad to hear you are doing better. It does get better as each day passes, even though the day before you do not think it will. I just keep setting my goals 10 days at a time. I am now almost up to 2 1/2 oz of broth a time so yeah for me. ;-) Stay focused and you can do it, tomorrow is your big travel day, take something before leaving the hospital (it is about an hour and a half just getting through the boarder) to help you relax for the ride to airport. The roads can be pretty bumppy at times. Good luck in your new journey and keep me posted of your progress. Pam

From: <nsalex75@...> Sent: Sat, June 12, 2010 8:47:51 AMSubject: Re: Hello

here! Hi Pam. It was so nice to meet you here in Mexicali. I was so nervous when I got there and meeting you prior to the surgery did help some. Surgery was thursday, yesterday was pretty rough for me, but I feel way better today. I am able to drink without gagging on every sip! I go in for my contrast xray soon so I am glad to get that step over with. I will keep you updated and hope you continue to do so well Pam!

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Pam Farrington <pamfarrington58> wrote:

Yes, I am very happy with my choice. I met here today and she will be going into surgery tomorrow. So best of luck to a great experience, you will do fine as the rest of us did. I am 3 days in so only 27 more days Suzanne and my 30 will be over. Thanks everyone for being there, it is so nice to know there are so many out there giving support to the newbys, and soon it will be us.

Its a great day,

Pam

From: "SuzanneSHaol (DOT) com" <SuzanneSHaol (DOT) com> @groups. comSent: Tue, June 8, 2010 8:40:40 PMSubject: Re: Hello

Hey Pam,

Hugs,

Suzanne

Guest guest

Thank you Suzanne, I am now home and doing well. I have set goals for 10 days at a time. My husband is taking very good care of me and I look so forward to when I have your sucess story and so many others to encourage those that will come after me. :-) Thank you

From: "SuzanneSH@..." <SuzanneSH@...> Sent: Thu, June 10, 2010 9:57:12 AMSubject: Re: Hello

Hi Pam,

There was a great group of people there for me when I was a newby too! I promised myself that this was the most amazing wonderful journey I had ever done for myself and I was going to try to give the same support I got.

27 days is such a short amount of time and you can do that hands down. Just take one day at a time. Before you know it you will be done with the clear liquids and moving on to stage two the creamy liquids and that is a pretty good stage. A lot more variety to chose from. Tell, Dr. Aceves I said Hi for me.

Enjoy your stay at the amazing hospital where they are going to take excellent care of you. Take some naps when you want and get up and walk around too.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Guest guest

Hello Suzanne, I have taken your advise and took pictures I so hate to do. But you are correct the before and after will do wonders for not just me but for others. I know others pictures of those that have gone before me have helped me. Thank you again

From: "SuzanneSH@..." <SuzanneSH@...> Sent: Tue, June 8, 2010 8:43:37 PMSubject: Re: Hello

Hi Pam,

So that just proves what I just said. You made her feel so much better and she may have a little easier time because of what you said. Look her up tomorrow and tell her HI. It is always nice to make weight loss friends when you are there. Exchange E-mails and stay in contact with each other. Take some before pictures of yourself and your new friends who have had weight loss surgery. One year from now you will cherish this pictures I promise you!

Suzanne

Guest guest

Hi Pam,

I also have another suggestion. Take a pictures of yourself or have some take a pictures every month about the same time each month. I would think I don't see much of a change in my body, but if I went back and looked at the pictures then I was say wow I do see the change. I think so many of us are visual so pictures really do help a lot--even if you hate doing it. I had a tri-pod and I would set the timer on my camera when no one was around and took the pictures.

Hugs,

Suzanne

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

Welcome aboard, Ed.

This is a very helpful supportive team.  You will be glad you joined.  So much

info to gather.

Have a great day!

Debbie Cole

Subject: Hello

Date: Sunday, July 18, 2010, 3:07 PM

Hello to the members. I just joined today based on a recommendation from

the Menieres.org site.

The doc and I are to the point now of going the CI route with my left ear. I

have had MM for the past 20 years and I'm completely deaf in the left ear.

Recently, as in a year ago, it went bi-latteral and rapidly took over my right

ear. HA's don't work well if at all due to distortion.

Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear and I'm

on here to read and learn.

Best to all,

Ed

Guest guest

Hi Ed,

In 2003 Menieres progressed in me so that hearing aids no longer worked. I got

one CI at that time and got my life back. Then in May of this year I got the

2nd ear implanted. Now my life's getting some depth and resonance to it. Shoot

if you have any questions.

Hello

Hello to the members. I just joined today based on a recommendation from the

Menieres.org site.

Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear and I'm

Best to all,

Ed

Guest guest

Hi Ed

I have Menieres as well for the past 20 years. I was deaf in my right ear and

wore a hearing aid in my left. I had my 1st CI last Nov with the activation in

Dec. I did very well with the first- about 98% comprehension of sentences and

about 75% comprehension of single words with noise at the 6 month post op. I

decided to check into having my left ear done and found out this past March I

qualified for a CI in that ear too .I .had menires symptoms in that ear starting

10 years ago. In March I had about 30% hearing in the left. I had the surgery

June 24th and will be activated this coming Tuesday. So I gave up some residual

hearing but I knew the left would eventually be as bad as right, just a matter

of time and the HA wasn t really helping all that much

It does take a while for the brain to adjust to the implan tbut I must say the

CI has given me my life back. there are positive changes everyday. An added

benefit for my right ear is that the tinnitus went away! I still have tinnitus

in my left ear, the recent implant ear, but it is different, not the pounding

sensation I often had before the surgery. Also the second surgery had a faster

recovery time then the first. Maybe because I knew what to expect

I'd be happy to respond to any questions you have regarding menieres and the CI.

Best

Regina

Sent: Sun, July 18, 2010 11:07:38 AM

Subject: Hello

Hello to the members. I just joined today based on a recommendation from the

Menieres.org site.

Best to all,

Ed

Guest guest

Ed,

Since Menieres also affects the vestibular system, you might want to have your

balance function checked - rotational chair testing, VEMP, platform testing,

VNG/ENG, head thrust, etc. In my case, after 20 years of Menieres (bilateral

for the last 11), my worst hearing ear was my better balance ear and my better

hearing ear showed almost no remaining vestibular function whatsoever. Since

implantation can affect the balance function they were concerned about wrecking

my only remaining vestibular function by implanting my worst hearing ear. The

brain tolerates slow vestibular loss (ie further decay from Menieres over time)

much better than it tolerates abrupt surgically-induced losses such as could

happen with implantation. (For non-Menierians, I think this problem of

implantation affecting balance function is more of a concern with

already-degraded balance capability than it is for people with normal vestibular

function.) I was implanted in my better hearing ear last year and it has worked

wonderfully for me. I hope this makes sense.

> I have had MM for the past 20 years and I'm completely deaf in the left ear.

>

> Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear and

I'm on here to read and learn.

> Ed

Guest guest

It makes perfect sense and is a great suggestion..this was mentioned to me by my

audiologist when I was thinking about a second CI. However, when I spoke with my

surgeon who is a menieres specialist as well as surgeon (U PENN ranked 7th in

the country for ENT) he said it was not an issue for me. Not sure if it was just

me or menieres patients in general Hmm..I had balance tests early on in the

disease but none before the surgery. I will see him for a 3 month check and ask

his opinion again. I have had no vestibular problems (dizziness) at all since

both the surgeries. I attributed it to the fact my vestibular function was

burned out from the disease. I'll let the forum know what he says..(2 months

from now)

Sent: Sun, July 18, 2010 2:14:03 PM

Ed,

Since Menieres also affects the vestibular system, you might want to have your

balance function checked - rotational chair testing, VEMP, platfosense and is a

great suggestionrm testing, VNG/ENG, head thrust, etc. In my case, after 20

years of Menieres (bilateral for the last 11), my worst hearing ear was my

better balance ear and my better hearing ear showed almost no remaining

vestibular function whatsoever. Since implantation can affect the balance

function they were concerned about wrecking my only remaining vestibular

function by implanting my worst hearing ear. The brain tolerates slow

vestibular loss (ie further decay from Menieres over time) much better than it

tolerates abrupt surgically-induced losses such as could happen with

implantation. (For non-Menierians, I think this problem of implantation

affecting balance function is more of a concern with already-degraded balance

capability than it is for people with normal vestibular function.) I was

implanted in my better hearing ear last year and it has worked wonderfully for

me. I hope this makes sense.

> I have had MM for the past 20 years and I'm completely deaf in the left ear.

>Recently, as in a year ago, it went bi-latteral and rapidly took over my right

>ear. HA's don't work well if at all due to distortion.

>

> Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear and

>I'm on here to read and learn.

> Ed

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of pal? This group is great for support. And we are honest about

the upsides and downsides of MGB - it's not just a cheerleading session.

So talk to us.

Cris

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Everett <everettabney@...> wrote:

>

>

> I'm actually looking for a pal here but i dont know if its worth it online

> but i am open to email if anyone will like to chat.. or send me an email

>

>

>

Are you looking for an MGB pal? Someone to chat with about your upcoming

surgery? I'm happy to be an MGB pal for you. Let me know what you are

looking for.

Meg

Hello

I'm actually looking for a pal here but i dont know if its worth it

online but i am open to email if anyone will like to chat.. or send me

an email

Hello Buddy and Regina.. Thanks for the responses.

Buddy, over the past 10 years or so I've had a couple of balance tests, the

latest being about 6 months ago at Baylor. Interesting results in that the doc

says I have very little vestibular balance. I guess I should be falling down

all the time LOL.. the body does compensate but my basketball game has gone to

the pits!

Regina, I'm interested experiences with hearing after implant and to the extent

I will be able to have a conversation in a crowd (be it a noisy restaurant or a

game). My work has me in those situations and right now, I can't function (I at

least fake it well). I'm also interested in recovery times and how long it

takes to " tune " the new ear. I think it's called activation. I've heard from 2

week to 2 months depending on the person. I must admit, if the tinnitus goes

away, or even diminishes, I won't know how to act! 20 years of ringing....

Apologies for all the questions. The reason is that I've decided today to go

with a CI in my left ear. The OTO and Audiologist are doing the

scheduling/insurance/etc now. Plan is to do it on the 22nd of Sept pending the

approvals. I've been at this quite a while now and I think they have the

documentation they need.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Ed

ps. what CI did you go with? I've been very impressed with AB

technology/software. I've spoken with a few users of all the technology as well

as 2 audiologist.

>

> > I have had MM for the past 20 years and I'm completely deaf in the left ear.

> >Recently, as in a year ago, it went bi-latteral and rapidly took over my

right

> >ear. HA's don't work well if at all due to distortion.

> >

> > Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear and

> >I'm on here to read and learn.

>

> > Ed

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Ed - I'm not Buddy or Regina, but I thought I would inject my experience here. 

I was implanted with the Cochlear Americas Nucleus Freedom in 2007, after being

almost totally deaf in my right ear for most of my 51 years of life at that

time.  The main reason why I pursued the CI was because of difficulty hear in

meetings at work (I'm an Internal Audit Manager), and difficulty in joining

friends in a group environment whether sitting around a campfire or at a

restaurant.

My healing time was about a week.  I actually went back to work 5 days after my

first surgery, but developed complications (fluid drainage from the ear caused

by a possible hole on either side of where they insert the electrode into the

middle ear).  I had a second surgery to seal the openings and made myself

behave

for a week after the second surgery.  :)  But I felt really good after both

surgeries.  I just made sure the anesthesiologist knew of my sensitive stomach

so they got anti-nausea medication on board right away after surgery.

I was activated 2 weeks after my second surgery.  I heard sounds right away

(actually I heard these sounds right before my second surgery, the surgeon

wanted to make sure the equipment he implanted the week before was working okay

prior to going in a second time).  Because I had been deaf in that ear for so

long, it took 8 months before I could tolerate hearing sounds at the normal

hearing range.  But for someone who had normal hearing in the implanted ear

for

most of their life will have a much quicker adaptation to hearing with the

implant.  Every person is different so it is hard to say how it will go for

you.  If you are motivated to do all you can to rehab the ear, you will have a

faster recovery rate.

All three CI products are excellent, and provide value in different areas. 

This

is where your research, and questions of your surgeon and audiologist, can help

you make the best decision based on your situation.  In my case, I chose

the Nucleus Freedom for the water resistence and for the reliability of the

implant (lower failure rate).  Subsequently I've learned that Cochlear Americas

has provided excellent post activation services, which is very important for a

person who doesn't want to be without hearing for a minute.  :)

BTW - my hearing loss is caused by LVAS, which fortunately for me did not affect

my balance nor did it make me dizzy.  I really consider myself very fortunate

in

this regard because I know this can be an issue for many people.

Best of luck to you as you embark on your journey to better hearing!

Sent: Mon, August 16, 2010 9:50:55 PM

Hello Buddy and Regina.. Thanks for the responses.

Buddy, over the past 10 years or so I've had a couple of balance tests, the

latest being about 6 months ago at Baylor. Interesting results in that the doc

says I have very little vestibular balance. I guess I should be falling down all

the time LOL.. the body does compensate but my basketball game has gone to the

pits!

Regina, I'm interested experiences with hearing after implant and to the extent

I will be able to have a conversation in a crowd (be it a noisy restaurant or a

game). My work has me in those situations and right now, I can't function (I at

least fake it well). I'm also interested in recovery times and how long it takes

to " tune " the new ear. I think it's called activation. I've heard from 2 week to

2 months depending on the person. I must admit, if the tinnitus goes away, or

even diminishes, I won't know how to act! 20 years of ringing....

Apologies for all the questions. The reason is that I've decided today to go

with a CI in my left ear. The OTO and Audiologist are doing the

scheduling/insurance/etc now. Plan is to do it on the 22nd of Sept pending the

approvals. I've been at this quite a while now and I think they have the

documentation they need.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Ed

ps. what CI did you go with? I've been very impressed with AB

technology/software. I've spoken with a few users of all the technology as well

as 2 audiologist.

>

> > I have had MM for the past 20 years and I'm completely deaf in the left ear.

> >Recently, as in a year ago, it went bi-latteral and rapidly took over my

right

>

> >ear. HA's don't work well if at all due to distortion.

> >

> > Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear and

> >I'm on here to read and learn.

>

> > Ed

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Thanks for the post! That is great information. Being a former big 4 partner,

I completely understand where you were regarding work and I'm at that point

myself. I'm partners in a boutique IT consulting firm and it's really hurting

me not to be able to hear.

Reading what you experienced is giving me some comfort around what will happen

after the implant and over what time frame. My " hope " is that my implanted ear

will pick up the hearing quickly.

I've been leaning toward AB for the technology and software along with

clearvoice however, I do quite a bit of boating and water activity so that's a

consideration.

From what I'm reading, they all are very similar. It seems to come down to the

features.

Thanks again!!!

> >

> > > I have had MM for the past 20 years and I'm completely deaf in the left

ear.

>

> > >Recently, as in a year ago, it went bi-latteral and rapidly took over my

right

> >

> > >ear. HA's don't work well if at all due to distortion.

> > >

> > > Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear

and

>

> > >I'm on here to read and learn.

> >

> > > Ed

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Glad to be of some help Ed.  Best of luck to you as you make your decision

toward which product to go with, and the surgery.  I hope you will stay in

touch

with us and let us know how it goes.  We always welcome news on how

people surgery went, how their activation progess is going, etc. 

You are right, all three will do the job, but each of them have their own

features that will meet an individual's needs.  My sister has the Med-El...she

wanted that one because she didn't want to have to fiddle with changing

programs, and she wanted something with a smaller processor to fit behind her

small ears.  So each of us have our own needs and expectations, and the beauty

is that there are three different companies we can choose from to meet our

needs. 

I'm intrigued by your work history.  If you are willing to share, I would enjoy

hearing from you.  You can email me directly at jmkinsella55@.... 

Otherwise, best of luck to you!

Sent: Sat, August 21, 2010 10:43:05 PM

Thanks for the post! That is great information. Being a former big 4 partner, I

completely understand where you were regarding work and I'm at that point

myself. I'm partners in a boutique IT consulting firm and it's really hurting me

not to be able to hear.

Reading what you experienced is giving me some comfort around what will happen

after the implant and over what time frame. My " hope " is that my implanted ear

will pick up the hearing quickly.

I've been leaning toward AB for the technology and software along with

clearvoice however, I do quite a bit of boating and water activity so that's a

consideration.

From what I'm reading, they all are very similar. It seems to come down to the

features.

Thanks again!!!

> >

> > > I have had MM for the past 20 years and I'm completely deaf in the left

>ear.

>

>

> > >Recently, as in a year ago, it went bi-latteral and rapidly took over my

>right

>

> >

> > >ear. HA's don't work well if at all due to distortion.

> > >

> > > Anyway, the CI route seems to be the best option for me for the left ear

>and

>

>

> > >I'm on here to read and learn.

> >

> > > Ed

> >

> >

> >

> >