RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

grinding corn

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've been reading old posts on grain mills and have one lingering questions.

Has anybody used the Family Grain Mill for grinding corn? How well does it

work? Is there a different mill I should consider if I plan to do alot of corn?

The Diamant Mill is just too expensive!

Many thanks

-Linnea

Guest guest

Nope, unless it's limed corn your not going to get corn tortillas but corn

cakes.

 Sent from my iPadHD

On Jul 10, 2012, at 12:14 PM, " koffeekam " <kmcdonald24@...> wrote:

> I KNOW there were a bunch of messages on this - which I can't seem to locate!!

(I really struggle with finding past messages on the .) I have to

remember to bookmark or Copy and Paste as soon as I see something I need. :)

>

> I am interested in making my own corn tortillas and see they call for Masa. Is

this Corn Flour? Can I create this in the Dry Container? I know I can create

Corn meal...do I just keep grinding to get to masa?

>

> Also, the thread I was looking for (and could not find) discussed the

different kinds of corn to buy for griding cornmeal. I remember that it said NOT

" popcorn " kernals.

>

> My natural food store carries: popcorn, roasted corn and raw corn.

>

> I bought the roasted corn, assuming it was different from " popcorn " . Does

anybody know if this was the proper thing to buy? I did not buy the " raw " since

I am not really eating raw, just " clean " .

>

> Any help is appreciated!

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

Nixtamalization typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater, and hulled. The term can also refer to the removal via an alkali process of the pericarpfrom other grains such as sorghum. Maize subjected to the nixtamalization process has several benefits over unprocessed grain for food preparation: it is more easily ground; itsnutritional value is increased; flavor and aroma are improved; and mycotoxins are reduced. These benefits make nixtamalization a crucial preliminary step for further processing of maize into food products, and the process is employed using both traditional and industrial methods, in the production of tortillas, tamales, corn chips,hominy and many other items. Sent from my iPadHDOn Jul 10, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Terry Pogue <tpogue@...> wrote:Nope, unless it's limed corn your not going to get corn tortillas but corn cakes. Sent from my iPadHDOn Jul 10, 2012, at 12:14 PM, "koffeekam" <kmcdonald24@...> wrote:I KNOW there were a bunch of messages on this - which I can't seem to locate!! (I really struggle with finding past messages on the .) I have to remember to bookmark or Copy and Paste as soon as I see something I need. :)I am interested in making my own corn tortillas and see they call for Masa. Is this Corn Flour? Can I create this in the Dry Container? I know I can create Corn meal...do I just keep grinding to get to masa?Also, the thread I was looking for (and could not find) discussed the different kinds of corn to buy for griding cornmeal. I remember that it said NOT "popcorn" kernals.My natural food store carries: popcorn, roasted corn and raw corn.I bought the roasted corn, assuming it was different from "popcorn". Does anybody know if this was the proper thing to buy? I did not buy the "raw" since I am not really eating raw, just "clean".Any help is appreciated!------------------------------------Please bookmark these pages:/links/ (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

THANKS for the info!

Do you think the the roasted corn is OK for making cornmeal in the Vitamix for Cornbread or polenta? I mean, it's better than straight popcorn, right?

Is this nixtamalized corn something that can be purchased - or is it something I need to do?

Now that you gave me something to search on, I found some info. Alton Brown gave some instructions on how to do the process. Does this seem right?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corn-tortillas-recipe/index.html

Nixtamal :1 pound dried corn kernels, approximately 2 cups 6 cups water1/2-ounce slaked lime* (commonly called cal), approximately 2 tablespoons

*Cook's Note: Both dried corn and slaked lime (cal) are available online and in most Latin markets.

Rinse the corn under cool water; drain and set aside.

Place the water and the lime into a 3 1/2 to 4-quart, non-reactive stockpot, set over medium-low heat, and stir to combine. Add the corn and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Make sure that it takes at least 30 to 45 minutes to come to a boil. Once the mixture comes to a boil, remove from the heat, cover, and allow to sit at room temperature overnight. Do not refrigerate.

Drain the corn in a large colander and rinse under lukewarm water for 5 to 6 minutes while rubbing the corn kernels between your fingers in order to remove the outer coating. Place the corn into a large bowl, cover with lukewarm water, and allow to soak for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse, and repeat. Use immediately to make masa dough for tortillas.

Yield: approximately 1 1/2 to 2 pounds nixtamalPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutesInactive Prep Time: 12 hours

> > > >> I KNOW there were a bunch of messages on this - which I can't seem to locate!! (I really struggle with finding past messages on the .) I have to remember to bookmark or Copy and Paste as soon as I see something I need. :)> >> > >> I am interested in making my own corn tortillas and see they call for Masa. Is this Corn Flour? Can I create this in the Dry Container? I know I can create Corn meal...do I just keep grinding to get to masa?> >> > >> Also, the thread I was looking for (and could not find) discussed the different kinds of corn to buy for griding cornmeal. I remember that it said NOT "popcorn" kernals.> >> > >> My natural food store carries: popcorn, roasted corn and raw corn.> >> > >> I bought the roasted corn, assuming it was different from "popcorn". Does anybody know if this was the proper thing to buy? I did not buy the "raw" since I am not really eating raw, just "clean".> >> > >> Any help is appreciated!> >> > >> > >> > >> ------------------------------------> >> > >> Please bookmark these pages:> >> > >> /links/ > >> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> >> > >> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> >> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!