RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You are doing awesome Craig!

I was banded on 3/13/06 and have lost 15 lbs. I think that is pretty good myself, not 25, but good enough.

By the way, how is everyone determining their goal weight? I've seen numbers from 135 to 200 or so, is this a number you came up with yourself, or is there some sort of formula to figure it out?

:-)

DOB 3/13/06

230/215/145 <---- what I would like to be

RE: Questions

:

Yes I was banded on 3-9-06

Yes I have lost 25 so far, but I am obsessive, as are most of us or we wouldn’t have arrived here in the first place J I work out on a treadmill 60 min a day going 4+miles. I am still below about 400 cal/day but that is about to change. I have very little hunger at all. I am able to tolerate everything so far and have felt no restriction as of yet.

The number convention, as I understand it, is Weight at banding/Current Weight/Goal

I lost 17 the first week and then hit a plateau for about 4 days and then it took off again. Everyone is different. Logic alone will tell you that if you reduce intake and increase output you will effect a change. Have faith in that logic and try not to sweat the small things. 25Lbs is just a number. It may have the same effect on me as 10 lbs would on another. ( I’m talking to myself here J) I’m trying to remind myself that this is not a game of numbers but rather of lifetime change and health. This group ROCKS

Craig

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of SpenceSent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:29 AM Subject: RE: Questions

Craig, I’m confused did you just have yours done 3/9/06???......and have you lost 25 pds ??...what is the numbers below your name??

VSpence

-----Original Message-----From: Craig [mailto:ccarothers@...] Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:41 AM Subject: RE: Questions

Jen:

I’m sure you’ll get a ton of replies but I’m gonna put in my 2 cents anywayJ

The responses are below under the questions

Craig

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of jenn83704Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 11:25 PM Subject: Questions

Hi all, As my surgery date gets closer I have a few questions I am wondering if someone/anyone could answer for me. Should I exchange some American money for Peso's or is our money accepted anywhere? Do I need to know the exchange rate for any reason? How much money did you bring with you for tips, etc. Did any of you tip Ernesto or whoever was driving you around?

There is no need to bring any Pesos. Just about all places take, and even prefer, dollars. Credit cards make the conversion automatically. The exchange rate is so close to 10 that you can just divide Pesos by 10 and be pretty close. I brought a couple of hundred dollars and didn’t need but about 20. That was spent on lunch and dinner the day before surgery. Unable to spend a dime after that until I got back to San Diego. I tipped Ernesto because we were caught in a snow storm and it took 8 hrs to get to San Diego and he had to spend the night in a hotel there so he could get the patient the next morning. Tipping is a personal thing and not required but very appreciated.

I haven't been able to find liquid Gas X- just the chewable- is that OK right after surgery? How about the multi-vitamiin. Is it OK to use chewable vitamins? What vitamins are the best or your favorite?

I had famotodine (Pepsid) for the heartburn. Gas is probably a fact of life after the surgery. It will find its own way out J but if you need something I’m sure you will get many responses about that.

Did most of you stay in the Hotel or were you admitted directly to the hospital that first day?

Depends. I got there about 1:00 the day before surgery. After tests I was taken to my hotel and then picked up again the morning of surgery. The hotel was included in the price so it didn’t cost me anything extra. Very nice room and excellent restaurant at the Hotel Lucerna. Be sure that if you are arriving the day before surgery and you are going to have the tess done then you need to be “fasting”. I either didn’t know, or more likely forgot J but it had been 8 hrs since breakfast for me so that worked OK.

Do any of you have QWEST cell phone service? If so were you able to call out on your cell phone? If my cell phone does not have service can I get a calling card or call collect home? If I get a calling card- can I buy any calling card or does it have to be an "international" card?

I have Sprint and it worked as well as it does here, almost acceptable J

My brother has Cingular and he had some problems. Nina can answer the questions regarding in room phone service.

I hear to pack light if you are going alone- which I am... but should I bring my own bottled water, juice, broth, etc? I am unable to find my birth certificate.... can I get across the border with just my driver's license or should I try to get a copy of my birth certificate?

I had my Passport but a driver License is all that is required for now. A passport will become necessary in another year but there has been so much confusion that for the moment it appears that a driver License is adequate. Again Nina is the final authority on these issues.

I think that is all the questions I have for now. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Ask away, we all understand the apprehension before going. Once you get there you will be amazed at how easy and smooth they make everything. They will adapt to your own specific needs for re-assurance and care. Good luck and I’m sure you will be as happy as the rest of us.

Craig Carothers

3/9/06

354/329/200 Down 25 and feeling GREAT

Guest guest

"Craig THATS RIGHT WTG YOU LL GET THERE IT TOOK YEARS TO PUT IT ON ITS NOT GOING TO GO AWAY OVER NIGHT Craig <ccarothers@...> wrote: : Yes I was banded on 3-9-06 Yes I have lost 25 so far, but I am obsessive, as are most of us or we wouldn’t have arrived here in the first place J I work out on a treadmill 60 min a day going 4+miles. I am still below about 400 cal/day but that is about to change. I have very little hunger at all. I am able to tolerate everything so far and have felt no restriction as of yet.

The number convention, as I understand it, is Weight at banding/Current Weight/Goal I lost 17 the first week and then hit a plateau for about 4 days and then it took off again. Everyone is different. Logic alone will tell you that if you reduce intake and increase output you will effect a change. Have faith in that logic and try not to sweat the small things. 25Lbs is just a number. It may have the same effect on me as 10 lbs would on another. ( I’m talking to myself here J) I’m trying to remind myself that this is not a game of numbers but rather of lifetime change and health. This group ROCKS Craig From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of SpenceSent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:29 AM Subject: RE: Questions Craig, I’m confused did you just have yours done 3/9/06???......and have you lost 25 pds ??...what is the numbers below your name?? VSpence -----Original Message-----From: Craig [mailto:ccarothers@...] Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:41 AM Subject: RE:

Questions Jen: I’m sure you’ll get a ton of replies but I’m gonna put in my 2 cents anywayJ The responses are below under the

questions Craig From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of jenn83704Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 11:25 PM Subject: Questions Hi all, As my surgery date gets closer

I have a few questions I am wondering if someone/anyone could answer for me. Should I exchange some American money for Peso's or is our money accepted anywhere? Do I need to know the exchange rate for any reason? How much money did you bring with you for tips, etc. Did any of you tip Ernesto or whoever was driving you around? There is no need to bring any Pesos. Just about all places take, and even prefer, dollars. Credit cards make the conversion

automatically. The exchange rate is so close to 10 that you can just divide Pesos by 10 and be pretty close. I brought a couple of hundred dollars and didn’t need but about 20. That was spent on lunch and dinner the day before surgery. Unable to spend a dime after that until I got back to San Diego. I tipped Ernesto because we were caught in a snow storm and it took 8 hrs to get to San Diego and he had to spend the night in a hotel there so he could get the patient the next morning. Tipping is a personal thing and not required but very appreciated. I haven't been able to find liquid Gas X- just the chewable- is that OK right after surgery? How about the multi-vitamiin. Is it OK to use chewable vitamins? What vitamins are the best or your favorite? I had famotodine (Pepsid) for the heartburn. Gas is probably a fact of life after the surgery. It will find its own way out J but if you need something I’m sure you will get many responses about that. Did most of you stay in the Hotel or were you admitted directly to the hospital that first day? Depends. I got there about

1:00 the day before surgery. After tests I was taken to my hotel and then picked up again the morning of surgery. The hotel was included in the price so it didn’t cost me anything extra. Very nice room and excellent restaurant at the Hotel Lucerna. Be sure that if you are arriving the day before surgery and you are going to have the tess done then you need to be “fasting”. I either didn’t know, or more likely forgot J but it had been 8 hrs since breakfast for me so that worked OK. Do any of you have QWEST cell phone service? If so were you able to call out on your cell phone? If my cell phone does not have service can I get a calling card or call collect home? If I get a calling card- can I buy any calling card or does it have to be an "international" card? I have Sprint and it worked as well as it does here, almost acceptable

J My brother has Cingular and he had some problems. Nina can answer the questions regarding in room phone service. I hear to pack light if you are going alone- which I am... but should I

bring my own bottled water, juice, broth, etc? I am unable to find my birth certificate.... can I get across the border with just my driver's license or should I try to get a copy of my birth certificate? I had my Passport but a driver License is all that is required for now. A passport will become necessary in another year but there has been so much confusion that for the moment it appears that a driver License is adequate. Again Nina is the final authority on these issues. I think that is all the questions I have for now. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. Ask away, we all understand the apprehension before

going. Once you get there you will be amazed at how easy and smooth they make everything. They will adapt to your own specific needs for re-assurance and care. Good luck and I’m sure you will be as happy as the rest of us. Craig Carothers 3/9/06 354/329/200 Down 25 and feeling GREAT

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

Hi ,

Welcome to the losing side! 15 lbs. is great! keep

in mind men lose faster than women so Craig, who is

doing great, has an advantage over us. I think you

did your goal weight just right. I just put down what

I want to be. Actually it is the weight I was when I

got married many years ago and never saw again! When

I get down closer, I think I will know if it is

realistic or not and can change it if needed. That's

how I have done it.

Penny

Penny Manville

Walden, Colorado

DOB 9/26/05

230/184/135

1st fill 12/9/05 1cc

2nd fill 1/27/06 0.5 cc 1.5 cc total

5'4 "

Guest guest

Hi Vesper!! (WAVE!! Glad to see you back on the list)

I drink occasionally and what I have noticed is if it is beer, the yeast or

carbonation is what get's me. If it is other drinks, I think it is the

quantity. We normally don't drink very much at one time (like water, and

stuff that is good for us) but when we are drinking alcoholic beverages, we

drink in more quantity which could bloat the pouch and give us that pain in

the left side and shoulder. Just my theory though! What was hurting you for

two weeks? The pain I talk about? I have never had it last longer then over

night. Are you still in pain or uncomfortable now?

Mills

http://www.tracyslapband.com

3/1/05

280/169/160

Questions

Tell me again why it is bad to drink alcohol with the band? Besides

having no nutritional value, and breaking up nutrients in your body.

Not that I am turning into an alcoholic, but I did go to a party and

had a few drinks and that is when some stomach pain began to occur. It

has lasted for about two weeks and I am concerned that the consumption

has hurt my band. What do you think?? And no lectures on the evils of

drinking. It was only one time. Thanks, Vesper

Guest guest

Hi Kerri, I had the lapband done but while I was in the Hospital I was with a woman named Stacey who had the Gastric Bypass done. Maybe if you go into the archives of messages you can find her and email her direct for information. There are several finance companies that will finance Medical. I think they are on Dr. A's home page. I chose to go with the in house financing through Dr. A. This is where he financed $3200.00 and I paid $5000.00. My payments are $313.00 per month for 12 months. But for yours it would be different because the GBP is more expensive. You should email Nina, or and they will be able to help you with the financial part. Good Luck To You! Tammy I. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Hi Kerri, my name is GInger. Dr. A does do the RNY and I know there

are several on here who have had it done. I was also denied by my

insurance company. There are several finance companies. Also, Dr. A

does a small amount of financing, too. They are a very nice group and

I was pleased with the service I was provided. I was banded 4/19/06.

Good luck to you. Ginger

>

> Hi. My name is Kerri. I am 29yrs old and 500lbs. I need

information for the gastric bypass. I know that most of the messages

I have read are for the lap band but it says that Dr. Aceves, also

does the gastric bypass. My insurance has denied any surgical

procedure. I need help with financing, payments, whatever info. I can

get. Thank you very much, Kerri

>

> email: sorker@...

>

Guest guest

A problem with SCRAM as an additional monitor is that it would pick up the incidental exposure, and with the respiratory theory, again a positive EtG could easily be mistaken as consumption, with corroborating evidence, not a good idea if one was actually out for trith and justice!Marcellus

Guest guest

Short reply: NO. Accidental vs intentional ingestion/exposure cannot be determined w/ a + result.jholbrook42 <jholbrook42@...> wrote: I am new to a drug court program and am wondering how this test works. my p o told me about it but did not explain it very well. I have been doing some research and am a bit worried. isnt there a way they can test the amount so they can tell if it was accidental exposure?

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs.

Try it free.

Guest guest

When SAMHSA discussed EtG in 2004, Dr. Skipper said, "We hope the 100 is going to be the cutoff that says you've definitely drunk more than just incidental dietary." Since that time, I think even Skipper's opinion has changed, as his August 2005 advisory states, "I would encourage clinical correlation, esp. when the level is below 1500, the patient denies drinking, and there is no other evidence of problems."

The cutoffs being used (100, 250, or 500) were not established by any scientific method. In fact, there is only one published abstract testing incidental alcohol (mouthwash) and its effect on EtG. I think I'd take a copy of Skipper's advisory to your p.o., let them know of your concern, and ask them if they take action solely on a number or if they take anything else into account.

questions

I am new to a drug court program and am wondering how this test works. my p o told me about it but did not explain it very well. I have been doing some research and am a bit worried. isnt there a way they can test the amount so they can tell if it was accidental exposure?

Guest guest

hi jh, welcome aboard...go to www.labone.com etg for pdf on the test...there are ways they can tell incidental trivial exposure...go back and review the posts on the blood biomarkers...do not worry...odds are very good that if you do not consume etoh you will not test positive...the odds are not 100%,though and a few false positives do occur... regards,jholbrook42 <jholbrook42@...> wrote: I am new to a drug court program and am wondering how this test works. my p o told me about it but did not explain it very well. I have been doing some research and am a bit worried. isnt there a way they can test the amount so they can tell if it was accidental exposure?

Guest guest

> I am new to a drug court program and am wondering how

this test works.

> my p o told me about it but did not explain it very well. I have

been

> doing some research and am a bit worried. isnt there a way they can

> test the amount so they can tell if it was accidental exposure?

>

I would like to thank everyone for your response, however I am still

a little confused. Do they test for certain levels and if so wouldnt

they be able to tell if a level was very low that it was accidental

exposure?

Guest guest

lots of questions, and while they are all good, i

think you are in the stage where you are starting to

panic. take 1 day off completely from studying. (if

its not in your head or close to it it won't be there

on the test so don't worry) here is what i can answer

for you. maybe others can answer more, as I took the

test 8 years ago this test period!

#5) Beyond my schooling I have never seen QSAD used at

all. Its just qs. as in draw up 2mls of Magnesium

sulfate and QS to 8mls.

#7) I rememeber 2 booklets of some kind. one you

could mark up all you want and one you couldn't (the

one you couldn't may have been the answer sheet i'm

fuzzy here) as soon as you are allowed to (not sure

when) you can write down all the formulas,

conversions, ect. you think you might need on the

booklet but it has to come from your head. A lot of

this is on the PCTB website or any materials you may

get from them. check it out :)

#8) I believe that you can join the organizations you

want from now until you take the test as a technician

student. after that I don't know. call the

organizations you are interested in as maybe one of

their staff would know. I personally am currently in

AAPT, WSPA (my state's pharmacy org.) and NPTA. I

have been in APHA and ASHP in the past, and if i get

extra funds i would go back into ASHP. I get drug

topics, and I read a bunch of others that my work

subscribes to, as well as 2 newsletters that my work

puts out for its employees.

good luck on the test, and I'm sure you will exceed

your expectations!

--- pharmacy_000 <pharmacy_000@...> wrote:

Hello. I have some questions that have crossed my

mind while studying for the PTCE (I'm taking the one

on July 22). I know these are last minute questions,

but I definitely did not wait until now to start

studying, don't worry. ;) I apologize for the length

of this and also the fact that some may be

unanswerable, but I wanted to get them out there just

in case. Thanks if you answer anything,

> even if it's just

> to say " Nobody can really know that for sure, except

> the PTCE writers,

> and they wouldn't tell you " or " You're crazy for

> overthinking all of

> this. " And good luck to anyone else also taking the

> exam!

>

> 1. I've gone through various mock ptcb exams and

> have noticed in those

> particular ones that there were hardly (if any)

> questions dealing with

> the Apothecary system. How often does this appear on

> the exam,

> especially scruples, drams, and minims conversions?

>

> 2. Also, in many PTCE guides, I see Young's Rule,

> 's Rule,

> Fried's rule, BSA calculations, etc, followed by

> practice questions in

> these areas, but in the mock exams I've taken that

> supposedly are just

> like a real PTCE, I never see these kinds of

> questions. How commonly

> do they show up on the exam? I've seen plenty of

> mg/kg with converting

> lbs to kg types of questions though.

>

> 3. Is it possible that calculations involving any of

> the following

> could appear on the exam? (I've seen them in various

> tech resources,

> but I'm not sure if they could show up specifically

> on the PTCE, even

> if it's rare):

>

> Aliquots, specific gravity, adjusting isotonicity,

> working with pH and

> buffers, and hyperalimentation

>

> 4. I was doing the practice problems on the Tech

> Lectures site, and

> came across the following problem:

>

> Practice on Common Systems:

>

> How many 1/4gr morphine sulfate

> (SO4) tablets can be

> made from 1/8 oz of bottle of morphine sulfate?

>

> a) 36 tablets

> B) 124 tablets

> c) 218 tablets

> d) not enough

> information is given

>

> Originally, I converted the oz to gr using the

> avoirdupois system (1

> oz = 437.5 gr, instead of the Apothecary 1 oz = 480

> gr) and came up

> with 218 tablets, but the site says the answer is

> " not enough

> information is given " . This is because it didn't

> specify Apothecary or

> Avoirdupois, right? Will the exam or on-the-job

> experiences (I haven't

> had a job as a tech yet, I'm taking the exam first)

> always specify

> this? Because I've come across questions on other

> sites that don't,

> and also don't have a " not enough info " option, and

> the correct answer

> according to them is usually using Avoirdupois. Of

> course, I know that

> I can't always necessarily trust everything in every

> resource,

> especially online, so I'm asking.

>

> 5. Technically, I know that the difference between

> Qsad and Qs is Qsad

> = a sufficient quantity up to and Qs = a sufficient

> quantity.

> However, when I've seen them used in problems, they

> always seem to be

> used interchangeably. Is this the fault of the

> problem/prescription

> writers or are they really able to be used

> interchangeably? I saw in

> one resource that Qsad is supposed to be used when

> there's a specified

> quantity after it and Qs doesn't have a specified

> quantity, but I

> always see, for example, qs to 1000 ml in problems.

>

> 6. How hard would you say it is to tell the 15

> questions that don't

> count apart from the rest? If you took the exam,

> were there any

> questions that stuck out to you as ones that *might*

> be experimental,

> or you really had no clue/weren't thinking about it?

>

>

> 7. I read that the exam booklet can be used for

> scrap and there is no

> separate scrap paper given. Do we just use the empty

> space next to the

> questions for scrap, or is there a special blank

> page(s) in the front

> or back of the booklet for scrap? (I have no idea

> why I can't wait

> until the exam to find out, it's just bugging me)

> Also, if I wanted to

> write down conversions, formulas, whatever else, on

> the booklet as

> soon as the exam starts, just to have it down for

> ease & also make

> sure don't forget something later on, do you think I

> could do that, or

> whoever sees the booklet might think I was cheating

> somehow?

>

8. As I said somewhere above, I'm not currently a

tech, nor have I ever been one. I am very interested

in joining pharmacy-related organizations. Once I take

the PTCE, and before I receive my grade, I'm going to

be looking to volunteer in a hospital pharmacy. Once

I'm volunteering, would I be able to join

pharmacy-related organizations or do I have to wait

until I have a paid job as a tech? I've looked at some

organization sites and see that they want you to give

company/hospital names where you work, and your title,

but I'm not sure if I could be a volunteer and sign up

under their tech subscription.

Also, I'm not sure which ones to join, and also which

publications to get, as there are so many out there. I

keep coming across new ones all the time. The problem

isn't finding orgs, I know what most of them are, it's

just which ones are the best for me to join. I

definitely wanted to join one or both of the

technician-specific ones, the NPTA and the AAPT, but

then read on this forum by Mr. Medina of Tech

Lectures, that the NPTA isn't so good? Should I then

join just the AAPT? Since I'm really interested in

hospital pharmacy, I thought ASHP was a good one to

join too. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd

appreciate it.

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be. "

- Yogi Berra

ONLY AFTER YOU'VE LOST EVERYTHING ARE YOU FREE TO DO ANYTHING

if you have the time to click on an e-mail link like this one:

http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/ID/2425657 you really can earn some extra cash!

Guest guest

Hi There-

No problem on the length or content of your post. Chances are there are

others out there with similar thoughts and questions.

Use your booklet as scratch paper. As soon as they say " begin " write down

your formulas and conversions.

Its highly unlikely that you'll see any problems dealing with specific

gravity, ph, isotonicity adjustments, etc. I doubt you'll see much on the

apothecary system.

Its a good idea to know your kg,mg,mcg conversions, pounds to kg and vice

versa.

Ratio and proportions

retail---percetage mark ups

basic dosage calculations,

drip rates

temperature conversions

As for the Tech lectures sample question (morphine)

There's not enough info...

As for memberships...that's really your decision. If you work in a hospital,

ASHP is a good one...though keep in mind, that as a technician, you aren't

allowed to vote on some of the key issues. I'm also a member of NPTA. Yes, its

a for profit organization. That bothers some folks, but I really don't care---as

long as the organization is providing me with the information and resources I

need. Also check with your state's pharmacy association. I've heard good

things about AAPT, though it seems to vary from region to region.

Bottom line---everybody wants $$$ for membership, and all are about the same

price. You just have to find the right " fit "

Please check our files section for words of wisdom regarding " test day "

Have fun and RELAX---

Dora

Group Mod

New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved

message search.

Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

Recent Activity

New Members

Visit Your Group

Guest guest

I am glad to see I am not the only one *freaking out* about the test on Sat!

I have been hitting the books and I am starting to worry hard core. I went

to school for this, but it ended in March, and I have not yet found a job in

the field, so much of the knowledge has been buried. I just hope I pass!

>

> .,___

>

--

Maxwell

On the beach In VA

Guest guest

I know how you feel. I'm taking the test Sat. Paid over $300

including the book for a ten week class at the local community

college and didn't really learn a thing. I think I've wasted the

$120 that I had to pay to test Sat. I am pretty familiar with the

math but our instructor said there would not be any of the generic

drugs or drug classes. Do you think they are on the test?

>

> I am glad to see I am not the only one *freaking out* about the

test on Sat!

> I have been hitting the books and I am starting to worry hard core.

I went

> to school for this, but it ended in March, and I have not yet found

a job in

> the field, so much of the knowledge has been buried. I just hope I

pass!

> >

> > .,___

> >

>

> --

> Maxwell

> On the beach In VA

>

>

>

Guest guest

The problem with our vocation is that there is too many " diploma

mills " or ventures to get your money promising to teach you what you

will need to know, not only for the national exam, but to work in the

pharmacy setting. I am finding many instructors simply do not know

what is on the national exam and blindly teach a class that is rich in

meaning for the student taking it. This really upsets me a great deal

as the student is the loser.

As for your question on generic, trade names and classifications of

drugs, you will see some on the national exam. Common sense would

indicate that this aspect would be part of a Pharmacy national exam.

Joe Medina, CPhT

--------------

I know how you feel. I'm taking the test Sat. Paid over $300

including the book for a ten week class at the local community

college and didn't really learn a thing. I think I've wasted the

$120 that I had to pay to test Sat. I am pretty familiar with the

math but our instructor said there would not be any of the generic

drugs or drug classes. Do you think they are on the test?

Guest guest

I have to agree with Joe, pharmacology will be on the exam:

1. Classifications = Ace Inhibitors, Antifungals, cardiac gylcosides etc

2. Uses - what disease states drugs are used for

3. Contraindications - when not to use a drug (if pt is pregnant etc)

4. Adverse Reactions

5. Storage and Handling

6. Trade and Generic name

7. What the drug does or how it works

9. What part of the body it affects, matabolism or absorption or excretion

10. Drug and Food and Herb interactions

11. Drug and other allergies

ARE ALL FAIR GAME!~

The reality is while ther eis a 'fair' share of this on the exam,

there are other topics and subjects that the exam must also cover. So

it can not be all pharmacology.

Technicians apply warning or auxiliary labels and therefore MUST know

what affects drugs may have in order to place the correct label on the

Rx. While computers may tell you which one, the computer has to be

updated and correct. It is OUR job to double check and add labels

accordingly.

Please see my previous posting in response to 'effective study'.

Respectfully,

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS

>

" As for your question on generic, trade names and classifications of

drugs, you will see some on the national exam. Common sense would

indicate that this aspect would be part of a Pharmacy national exam. "

Guest guest

Yep, you are

right. The more sauce or whatever on a food, the easier it will go down so you

have to be careful. It also depends on the food though. For instance ribs with

a lot of BBQ sauce is not gonna slip slide through the band. It will still sit

there, but the sauce will help when chewing it to a pulp instead of having

stringy beef or pork sitting in your pouch. Again, this has just been my

experience, others may say something different. Sometimes I have to have

chicken breast with mayo or some other kind of topping to help it go down. It

doesn’t mean it slides right through, but it could mean the difference

between a PB (productive burp, which is bad) and food staying where it should.

Mills

DOB 3/1/05

280/168/160

http://www.tracyslapband.com

Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 9:04

AM

Subject:

Questions

I haven't been banded yet, but I plan to do it soon.

I'm just waiting

for a HELOC to pull some equity out of my home. I have been reading this

group though and listening to some of the people who are having

problems, and I have some questions.

I know that we aren't supposed to drink with our meals because that will

create a kind of soupy mixture in our stomach and make the food pass

through the band more quickly. Wouldn't the same logic hold for eating

foods with sauces or creamy textures or even having salad dressing on a

salad. Wouldn't these liquidy kind of foods cause the other foods to

pass through our band more quickly.

The reason I'm asking is that I've heard a lot of people describe these

foods that they are eating and some of them sound god awful bad for you

and seem like they would have too much sauce or whatever and defeat the

purpose of the band.

What do you guys know about this?

G.

Guest guest

-kristy,

It is easy to read too much and get confused and worried. Once you

understand exactly what you are dealing with and learn more about

this disease you will know not to believe a lot of what you read

online.

While you can get a lot of good info online, I dont think anything

beats being able to talk to other parents who are dealing with what

you are.

None of us know what the future holds for our kids.. We do know that

they are wayyyy better off than just 20 years ago. Today there are

so many options available for treatment. In that regard we are

blessed.

I am thinking the heart involvement you talked about is possibly

pericarditis?? this is something that can happen to systemic kids.

it is were the lining of the heart can become immflammed. Systemics

can also get immflamation of the liver, the lymph nodes and the

spleen. But this doesnt happen to every kid. Nick has only ever had

a problem with his lymph nodes as far as we know.

Im not sure about the lung involvment except in the rare cases where

systemic kids can get MAS ( microphage activation syndrome) MAS is

VERY rare, but still possible. I think its wise to know about it but

not to freak over it. I carry articles in Nicks medcial file about

MAS in case he ever were to get really sick and in the ER. This way

I can alert the doctors to the possiblity of MAS and get treatment

started as quickly as possible, if god forbid, he did have that.

As to a wheelchair, you just never know, Nick has asked for one a

few times. These are the days when he can't walk far, gets tired and

I end up carrying him. We do now have a handicap parking pass and

can park close to where we are going, this has been a godsend. The

rheumy is very happy to sign off on this each year ( we usually get

a yearly one and then renew)

Ask away with the questions Kristy, its how we all learned in the

begining. I will be forever grateful to the wonderful parents on

this list with systemic kids who were always there for me and any

questions I had, even if I thought the questions I wanted to ask

were dumb ( theres no such thig as a dumb question)

good luck and enjoy that stew. I ADORE kidneys but i think my family

would mutany if they knew i " hid " those in there.

hugs Helen and (9,systemic)

-- In , " Kirsty " <mccarron@...> wrote:

>

> I hate this disease. I think I have been reading too much, and

getting confused with what I have read.

> What exactly does it do to the heart and lungs????

> My oldest, Emma, keeps asking me if Devon has a life threatening

disease. I have told her no, and then she wants to know if she will

end up in a wheelchair. Again, I have said no, that we will get

whatever treatment we need to keep Devon healthy.

> Kirsty

> ----------

>

> No virus found in this outgoing message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.1.408 / Virus Database: 268.13.8/489 - Release Date:

10/20/2006

>

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks, I will check out this MAS thing. I like to know everything up front. I

had this silly little thought, that maybe when we finally get in to see the

Rheumatologist he would say that we were wrong, and Devon doesn't have JRA. But

then today, I read the Still's Disease website, and I found myself saying,

'Devon has that, Devon's done that, etc. " . Reality check. Some of the answers

I seek, are ones that cannot be answered here. Like, when we get to Halifax,

what tests will they do that day, or do we come back for another appointment.

What meds will they start her on now? How much pain will she be in, and how

will I manage it for her? Eeessh. I am more worried about this than the

diabetes, but that might be because I have lived with diabetes all my life.

As some in this group now know, I am a RN. So, in that respect, I feel even

more lost. I mean, I am, (as a nurse) supposed to know about these things. I

work with geriatrics, palliative care and alzheimers, not children. Maybe as a

RN I am trying to understand this as an adult situation, and not a child one.

OH, poo, I don't know.

Kirsty

Re: Questions

-kristy,

It is easy to read too much and get confused and worried. Once you

understand exactly what you are dealing with and learn more about

this disease you will know not to believe a lot of what you read

online.

While you can get a lot of good info online, I dont think anything

beats being able to talk to other parents who are dealing with what

you are.

None of us know what the future holds for our kids.. We do know that

they are wayyyy better off than just 20 years ago. Today there are

so many options available for treatment. In that regard we are

blessed.

I am thinking the heart involvement you talked about is possibly

pericarditis?? this is something that can happen to systemic kids.

it is were the lining of the heart can become immflammed. Systemics

can also get immflamation of the liver, the lymph nodes and the

spleen. But this doesnt happen to every kid. Nick has only ever had

a problem with his lymph nodes as far as we know.

Im not sure about the lung involvment except in the rare cases where

systemic kids can get MAS ( microphage activation syndrome) MAS is

VERY rare, but still possible. I think its wise to know about it but

not to freak over it. I carry articles in Nicks medcial file about

MAS in case he ever were to get really sick and in the ER. This way

I can alert the doctors to the possiblity of MAS and get treatment

started as quickly as possible, if god forbid, he did have that.

As to a wheelchair, you just never know, Nick has asked for one a

few times. These are the days when he can't walk far, gets tired and

I end up carrying him. We do now have a handicap parking pass and

can park close to where we are going, this has been a godsend. The

rheumy is very happy to sign off on this each year ( we usually get

a yearly one and then renew)

Ask away with the questions Kristy, its how we all learned in the

begining. I will be forever grateful to the wonderful parents on

this list with systemic kids who were always there for me and any

questions I had, even if I thought the questions I wanted to ask

were dumb ( theres no such thig as a dumb question)

good luck and enjoy that stew. I ADORE kidneys but i think my family

would mutany if they knew i " hid " those in there.

hugs Helen and (9,systemic)

-- In , " Kirsty " <mccarron@...> wrote:

>

> I hate this disease. I think I have been reading too much, and

getting confused with what I have read.

> What exactly does it do to the heart and lungs????

> My oldest, Emma, keeps asking me if Devon has a life threatening

disease. I have told her no, and then she wants to know if she will

end up in a wheelchair. Again, I have said no, that we will get

whatever treatment we need to keep Devon healthy.

> Kirsty

> ----------

>

10/20/2006

>

>

>

Guest guest

I think there are times you may have to limit Devon but most of the time she

will probably limit herself. When we started with all this, our Rheumy said

to take Jaye out of PE and limit her on alot of things. Other parents

have posted how many different things their kids are doing and even though

the kids come home at night tired and sore they are happy. Kids want to be

normal as much as they possibly can. So we pray for our kids and cheer them on

and then cry with them and for them.

Last year, was not able to participate in hardly anything that was

physically active, she had a hard enough time walking. Last year our battle

was whether or not she could use the stairs at school or if she had to use the

elevator. By the end of the school year she could use the stairs but only when

the other kids were not on them. They are narrow and she was on the third

floor.

This year she is doing great and has not had any trouble. Her favorite class

is PE and she loves to run. We know that it may change at any time and I am

just praying that she continues in good health. She wants to play Basket Ball

this spring and so we will try for that. Many of the kids represented on

this site play sports and are very active. Last week Jaye told me that

she is going to do all she can as long as she can and if she gets down again

where she can't actively participate she will go and cheer her friends. She

said she just hopes she can keep a positive attitude about it if she does start

hurting again. We thank God each and every night that she is doing well and

pray that the arthritis will never come back.

Veri & Jaye 12 poly

Guest guest

Kirsty,

Hating this disease is one of the things that nearly every single parent on this

site has in common. Needing to ask questions is the other. Talking to others

that have been where you are now is also so very important. You will get

information from some that you will never use but there will also be some

information that is so invaluable that it will bring you to tears. In reading

the posts on this site I have come to the understanding that there is no better

place to be when you just need encouragement. Because it is here that people

truely care and not only care but have been in your shoes and want to help.

Other people in your life will care about you and your child and want to help

but when they have not been in your shoes they can not do or say what you really

need to hear somedays.

Veri

Questions

I hate this disease. I think I have been reading too much, and getting confused

with what I have read.

What exactly does it do to the heart and lungs????

My oldest, Emma, keeps asking me if Devon has a life threatening disease. I have

told her no, and then she wants to know if she will end up in a wheelchair.

Again, I have said no, that we will get whatever treatment we need to keep Devon

healthy.

Kirsty

----------

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.408 / Virus Database: 268.13.8/489 - Release Date: 10/20/2006

Guest guest

Thanks. I have found a lot of what is posted helpful, or should I say

confirmation? I really do appreciate it.

Now, here is a question. Devon is in the running club at school. She runs about

4 kms a day. Do I stop her or encourage her, or maybe limit her? Is she doing

damage with all that running? Her knees are the most affected right now, and I

have been reading about these kids needing knee replacements when they are

older.

Kirsty

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

----------

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Guest guest

My friend remarked the other day, that Devon seemed to stop running every once

in a while, rested, and then caught up with everyone. Everytime the kids run 15

kms they get a certificate, and she has a goal to get the most kms in this year.

Once the snow flies, there won't be any running going on, and by the feel of the

weather, that won't be too long. We haven't really spoken to Devon about what

is going on, as we feel we don't really know the answers ourself. She is a real

worry wort too, so I figure, for now, the less stress the better. She knows her

fevers = sore knees, but that is about it.

Sounds like Jaye is managing quite well now. Good for her for having

such a positive attitude!

Kirsty

I think there are times you may have to limit Devon but most of the time she

will probably limit herself. When we started with all this, our Rheumy said

to take Jaye out of PE and limit her on alot of things. Other parents

have posted how many different things their kids are doing and even though

the kids come home at night tired and sore they are happy. Kids want to be

normal as much as they possibly can. So we pray for our kids and cheer them on

and then cry with them and for them.

Last year, was not able to participate in hardly anything that was

physically active, she had a hard enough time walking. Last year our battle

was whether or not she could use the stairs at school or if she had to use the

elevator. By the end of the school year she could use the stairs but only when

the other kids were not on them. They are narrow and she was on the third

floor.

This year she is doing great and has not had any trouble. Her favorite class

is PE and she loves to run. We know that it may change at any time and I am

just praying that she continues in good health. She wants to play Basket Ball

this spring and so we will try for that. Many of the kids represented on

this site play sports and are very active. Last week Jaye told me that

she is going to do all she can as long as she can and if she gets down again

where she can't actively participate she will go and cheer her friends. She

said she just hopes she can keep a positive attitude about it if she does

start

hurting again. We thank God each and every night that she is doing well and

pray that the arthritis will never come back.

Veri & Jaye 12 poly

Guest guest

We have always told to encourage activity. My daughter takes dance

classes. She has had to skip the last three weeks due to

tendonitis, but as soon as that is better she will return.

I don't think knee replacements are at all the norm for JRA kids.

Only if they go with active inflammation for very long periods of

time and it does damage. If Devon doesn't have swelling or pain

when she isn't having a flare it seems like it would be okay to

run. I am not sure on this one, b/c my daughter is only six and

isn't involved in any organized sports. Hopefully others will help

you.

Sophie

>

> Thanks. I have found a lot of what is posted helpful, or should I

say confirmation? I really do appreciate it.

> Now, here is a question. Devon is in the running club at school.

She runs about 4 kms a day. Do I stop her or encourage her, or

maybe limit her? Is she doing damage with all that running? Her

knees are the most affected right now, and I have been reading about

these kids needing knee replacements when they are older.

> Kirsty

> Re: Questions

>

>

>

>

>

>

> -------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

10/20/2006

>

> ----------

>

10/20/2006

>

>

>