Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Date: Mon Apr 3, 2006 1:27 pm

Subject: Re: Some questions busterchi2000

Send Email

Invite to 360º

Thanks very much for the advise. Yes it will be my first hip so there

is a lot for me to consider and try and prepare for.

Dan

" So this is your first hip right. Really look into the metal on

metal. The OS said that it could last my husband his whole life.

Some OS say you are too young to get them they are feeding you a

line. It is young people that should have them. They work like a

bearing the more and the faster you move the more fluid gets in there

and the less it wears. Look all over the web about all the different

types of hip. Be ready to ask questions. The metal ion concern that

most people have isn't really anything to worry about. I sent all

the info to my brother who is a micro biologist with a minor in micro

something else. Works at the Ottawa hospital and teaches at the

Universitybut any way he said that it is very small amounts that you

get. If you work as a grinder man for few days you will get more in

your body then you get from that in a year. The first three years it

will wear due to the way it is made.,,,, "

Guest guest

Well I went to the clinic for my first visit today. A nurse

practitioner spent most of the time with me after my xrays. When the

doctor came in and looked at my xrays he said it was the worst hip he

had seen. He's sending me to get a cat scan on my hip to see what he

might be able to do to help me. He said a revision wouldn't be

possible but maybe a total replacement. So taking it one step at a

time and see what happens. He seemed very confident and was very

personable which was a big plus.

>

>

> ---------------------------------

>

>

>

>

>>

Guest guest

Sorry this is kinda long. Hope it explains everything that is going through my head. If anyone has farther questions of what I am think just write I will try to explain.

I am glad that you like your doctor and feel comfortable with him this is a very important. You are on your way to feeling better. The wait is the worsed part.

Did he say why he was sending you for a cat scan other then to see what can be done? Is it to see what types of hips can be used in your case?

I hate it when they don't explain why they want to do things.

I feel telling the truth is the best thing. Be it the worst or the best. You can not say there are not risks.

The guy I was telling you about I wish I knew how he was doing today. I was just using his story as an example of patients not being comfortable with a doctor or a hip and being pushed into it and not being happy. My husband waited 18 years for a hip to come out that he thought would he could be happy with. It was getting to the point that he was going to have to settle with the plastic in the next few years. But the luck happened that the m/m became available in Canada the Month before.

Don't let them push you into things you don't like. Go to another doctor, wait until you find something you like, or until the pain is too bad and two say the same thing. Not a doctor the first recommended and don't say what the other doctor said until after the other has said what they have to say. Doctors stick together (especially friends) on things. Which is good and bad all at once.

There are problems with being put under, there are infections, there are blood clots (as long as you get active as soon as possible these can be avoided), there are all sorts of things, it is called life. Any number of these things without having a hip replace in a healthy person.

But by knowing what you are getting into is the best. The hips have come a long way since they started out. The failed just about every time they put them in the 60's. Screws that are three inches long into your pelvic. Look at how many of you have had great hips. Lots. my husband has been really lucky his hip was flat, it is now at UNBC it is a University in BC. He went eight years ago to see if he could get the ball of the hip rotated, all he was told is no its too far gone. We asked about resurface, no it is too short and it is flat. When he had it done it was petrified like an old dog bone. It was flat, and it had bone spurs that would barely allow it to move. He could no longer clip his toe nails, he had to lift his foot up behind to get a sock on. It was bad he came through well. In fact great.

We prepared for the worst. We had no idea what to expect. Was he going to be off his feet for months. The old hips you could not stand on them for months as the glue dried and bone grew and all that stuff. Was he going to be in the hospital for a week or two. Lots of people in Canada are in the hospital for five or more days. His aunt is a nurse she was sure that he was going to be in the hospital for a week. But the doctor said only a day. The nurses at the hospital said it was not going to be less then five days. The doctor came in the next morning, asked my husband if he would like to get up and around. Husband said he had already been standing, the doctor said what are you still doing here then. See you in three months for x-ray and follow up. It seems to go on how you are doing, the hip you got, the doctor, and your age and what type of support you have at home. If you have no one to go home to they keep you longer. Which is a good thing in my books. Oh and in Canada if you can give your blood thinners to yourself. A needle to the stomach once a day for eight days.

If I remember correctly about 99% of people come through hip replacements fine and happy. Knee is less, shoulder is a lot less. I could be wrong on the percent.

You have to be your own judge of how you feel, about the doctor, about your pain, and the risks. No one knows you like you.

If everyone jumped off a bridge would you?

Personally if they said I needed a hip replaced and I felt I did too. I would get one.

"skyepyper" <skyepyper@...>Reply-Joint Replacement To: Joint Replacement Subject: Re: Some questionsDate: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:22:19 -0000Well I went to the clinic for my first visit today. A nurse practitioner spent most of the time with me after my xrays. When the doctor came in and looked at my xrays he said it was the worst hip he had seen. He's sending me to get a cat scan on my hip to see what he might be able to do to help me. He said a revision wouldn't be possible but maybe a total replacement. So taking it one step at a time and see what happens. He seemed very confident and was very personable which was a big plus.**************************************************************> > > ---------------------------------> > > > >>

Guest guest

I don't know if my earlier e-mail came out or not. I am glad that you like your OS. That is very important. Did he say why he was sending you for a cat scan? The hardest part is the wait.

I am sorry if my story about the guy across from my husband bothered you like it did others. But all I was trying to stress was if you have to like your OS and the hip they are going to give you. Don't be pushed into anything that you don't feel is right. It is your body. You are the only one that know it. I don't know what happened to that e-mail earlier it explained this all better.

It was long winded. Well read what you can find. There is lots of good info on the web. It is overwhelming.

I don't know how bad your hip is. But did you catch my e-mail last week about the femur replacement it was very interesting. It is just a good thing to have stored in the back of ones mind if things get that bad.

My husbands hip was flat and petrified, with bone spurs that wouldn't let it move enough to clip toe nails or put a sock on. It is now at a University. He had to bend his leg at he knee and bring his foot backwards to get his sock on.

From: "skyepyper" <skyepyper@...>Reply-Joint Replacement To: Joint Replacement Subject: Re: Some questionsDate: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:07:04 -0000From: " Larsen" <Busterchi@...> Date: Mon Apr 3, 2006 1:27 pm Subject: Re: Some questions busterchi2000 Offline Send Email Invite to 360º Thanks very much for the advise. Yes it will be my first hip so there is a lot for me to consider and try and prepare for. Dan******************************************************************"So this is your first hip right. Really look into the metal on metal. The OS said that it could last my husband his whole life. Some OS say you are too young to get them they are feeding you a line. It is young people that should have them. They work like a bearing the more and the faster you move the more fluid gets in there and the less it wears. Look all over the web about all the different types of hip. Be ready to ask questions. The metal ion concern that most people have isn't really anything to worry about. I sent all the info to my brother who is a micro biologist with a minor in micro something else. Works at the Ottawa hospital and teaches at the Universitybut any way he said that it is very small amounts that you get. If you work as a grinder man for few days you will get more in your body then you get from that in a year. The first three years it will wear due to the way it is made.,,,,"

Guest guest

Johanna, I have "repaired" congenital hip dysplasia and advanced OA at age 41. I'm looking into resurfacing and wondering how the procedure failed in your case, particularly if you are also a dysplasia patient. I don't want to start a debate or doctor bashing. Please e-mail me privately if you would rather, pinkthang at msn dot com. If not at all, I do understand. Best of luck with your MOM THR. -Barb, R CDH

Re: Some questions

Hi heather

sorry to interrupt your conversation, but what you said made a lot of sense to me and cleared up a lot of unanswered questions. I am 25 and I am having a THR in May. I had a resurfacing last October which has been unsuccessful. I was told about this site through the hipsrus site. I haven't posted on here before, there's a lot of info some of it quite daunting. My THR will be MOM.

Any other advice is welcome.

Thank you

Johanna

RH durrom zimmer 3/10/06

Guest guest

Like I said before to other people. we have been there we know how hard it is. We all do here. fire the questions away. I said to the other person I am on MSN lots so ask, talk, you need to talk about the weather, whatever. Busterchi@... or e-mail directly. I check them more then the postings. Been sick at home so I have been following this a little more.

You can't get an answer if you don't ask.

Hence the reason I try to add if I can think of it.

From: johanna sykes <johanna.sykes@...>Reply-Joint Replacement To: Joint Replacement Subject: Re: Some questionsDate: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:02:45 +0100 (BST)

Hi heather

sorry to interrupt your conversation, but what you said made a lot of sense to me and cleared up a lot of unanswered questions. I am 25 and I am having a THR in May. I had a resurfacing last October which has been unsuccessful. I was told about this site through the hipsrus site. I haven't posted on here before, there's a lot of info some of it quite daunting. My THR will be MOM.

Thank you

Johanna

RH durrom zimmer 3/10/06 Larsen <Busterchi@...> wrote:

So this is your first hip right. Really look into the metal on metal. The OS said that it could last my husband his whole life. Some OS say you are too young to get them they are feeding you a line. It is young people that should have them. They work like a bearing the more and the faster you move the more fluid gets in there and the less it wears. Look all over the web about all the different types of hip. Be ready to ask questions. The metal ion concern that most people have isn't really anything to worry about. I sent all the info to my brother who is a micro biologist with a minor in micro something else. Works at the Ottawa hospital and teaches at the Universitybut any way he said that it is very small amounts that you get. If you work as a grinder man for few days you will get more in your body then you get from that in a year. The first three years it will wear due to the way it is made.

But he OS told my husband to do anything that doesn't hurt. Dig with a shovel, vibration will not hurt it. with this one you can jog and run. Ride a horse. Cycling. The one thing he really didn't want him doing was the extreme sports of sky diving, and high impact landing sports. Along with the sports that involve being tackled and pushed down all the time. But these are things that are livable. I also think he is worried that he of other bones breaking and having to come back for more pieced.

BUt the m/m is only available the first time after that they take too much bone away to get the plastic one in.

THe ceramic ones there was a recall two years ago that they could break for no reason. They also can break in some minor car accidents.

The m/m if it gets a small scratch in it it will wear it smooth, were a plastic one will break off larger chunks causing it to wear out faster. Plastic often has to be replaced because the plastic chunks from normal wear get in and around it and the bone attacks itself trying to clean this out of the system. Well it can not so it ends up eating the bone away around it and then the hip comes loose and needs to be replaced. (this can happen with the metal but doesn't nearly as often).

So the best thing to do is read and read. Write down questions and if you don't feel comfortable with what the OS is trying to get you to do walk away and see another one. It is your body and there are options you need to know about them and feel comfortable with it. You are the one that has to live with it.

The guy across from my husband (different doctor). He was early fifties very active guy and he was told that the metal one is for really old people, so that he couldn't have one. Okay he didn't really like this but went with it. As they put in his plastic hip they fractured his pelvis. He wasn't allowed to stand or put any weight on it for eight weeks. Okay life throws you curve balls sometime. For a week he was really sick, it took three nurses, forty five minutes to get him from his bed to the wheel chair. Then the day that after my husband had his they found out that this poor guy was allergic to all the pain killers other then plain Tylenol. So he wasn't allowed any more pain killers. All because of the type of hip his OS put in, it wasn't a grow in type and the screws that hold it in place fractured his pelvis. Why they used screws i will never know.

So not to scary you but this guy didn't feel right about his OS and this is what happened. Things can happen anyway, but it is better to be comfortable with the person doing the work on you.

Oh and the epidural isn't that bad. Craig had it and then they gave him some other drug to be sort of out of it. The OS showed him his hip after it was cut off. At the hospital Craig had it done at they had been using them since the seventies and had a lot less problems with it. And with the normal stuff you have to stay in for a few days after.

You will have to stay in until you can pee on your own. (lions gate hospital). Hope this helps some. If you have any more questions just write. I will try to tell you what I know. WHere are you from?

From: "skyepyper" <skyepyper@...>Reply-Joint Replacement To: Joint Replacement Subject: Re: Some questionsDate: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:15:04 -0000Thanks and Craig for the good adivse. I'm 47 by the way. Wow, Craig really healed fast. Dan*******************I've missed much. I don't know your age. My husband had his done on July 4 2005. He was just about 35. He he needed his result of an accident when he we 18. He was standing 3 hours after and walked out using crutches for balance the next day. HE ditched the crutches totally with in three weeks. Week five he was climbing up a water fall. He went back to work in January. IS OS kept him off because his work is manual labor, monkey job. Then with ice and snow up here, and coming down off trains and track equipment on steep ballast beds. It was better to let all the muscles get very strong. Now his scar hurts a little if he sleeps on it all night. He couldn't sleep on that hip at all. All his transferred pain is gone, nut, knee, back, everything. Being younger may have helped that.They lengthened his leg out 2-2.5 inches. But with your other leg being shorter they should shorten it. The red cross in canada has stuff that you can borrow, like reaches ( a must), raised toilet seat (he didn't use), transfer benches, walkers, and so on. My husband used a walker in the house for the first week home. It just worked better then crutches as it was more stable with dogs, and didn't knock over like crutches when it is set somewhere. Get a TV tray and zip lock bags. Then you can put small things in the zip lock bag and pack it around with you if need be. And a TV tray to be by the couch to set remotes, magazines, water bottles (work good for any cool drink has a lid). Stretch out your socks before you go in. This way if someone has to help you with them they have been pulled on and off once. So they are a little looser for them to get on. This way they don't have to wrestle with it as much.Our OS is not worried about dislocation that much. He just said not to lift and twist at the same time. Craig has slipped on the ice three times this winter and hasn't had a problem yet. Thankfully. You may go through night sweats for the first week after. This seems to be normal from what others have said. I hope this helps you. Again age, physical fitness and out look are big things to it. If you don't like what one OS says go to another. It doesn't hurt to get more opinions. Also look at the different types of hips and what could work good with you. And write questions down so you don't forget to ask them. Good luck. & Craig BC Canada

Guest guest

sorry if there are any spelling error in that last one. It is 1am and I forgot to spell check.

From: johanna sykes <johanna.sykes@...>Reply-Joint Replacement To: Joint Replacement Subject: Re: Some questionsDate: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:02:45 +0100 (BST)

Hi heather

Thank you

Johanna

RH durrom zimmer 3/10/06 Larsen <Busterchi@...> wrote:

So this is your first hip right. Really look into the metal on metal. The OS said that it could last my husband his whole life. Some OS say you are too young to get them they are feeding you a line. It is young people that should have them. They work like a bearing the more and the faster you move the more fluid gets in there and the less it wears. Look all over the web about all the different types of hip. Be ready to ask questions. The metal ion concern that most people have isn't really anything to worry about. I sent all the info to my brother who is a micro biologist with a minor in micro something else. Works at the Ottawa hospital and teaches at the Universitybut any way he said that it is very small amounts that you get. If you work as a grinder man for few days you will get more in your body then you get from that in a year. The first three years it will wear due to the way it is made.

But he OS told my husband to do anything that doesn't hurt. Dig with a shovel, vibration will not hurt it. with this one you can jog and run. Ride a horse. Cycling. The one thing he really didn't want him doing was the extreme sports of sky diving, and high impact landing sports. Along with the sports that involve being tackled and pushed down all the time. But these are things that are livable. I also think he is worried that he of other bones breaking and having to come back for more pieced.

BUt the m/m is only available the first time after that they take too much bone away to get the plastic one in.

THe ceramic ones there was a recall two years ago that they could break for no reason. They also can break in some minor car accidents.

The m/m if it gets a small scratch in it it will wear it smooth, were a plastic one will break off larger chunks causing it to wear out faster. Plastic often has to be replaced because the plastic chunks from normal wear get in and around it and the bone attacks itself trying to clean this out of the system. Well it can not so it ends up eating the bone away around it and then the hip comes loose and needs to be replaced. (this can happen with the metal but doesn't nearly as often).

So the best thing to do is read and read. Write down questions and if you don't feel comfortable with what the OS is trying to get you to do walk away and see another one. It is your body and there are options you need to know about them and feel comfortable with it. You are the one that has to live with it.

The guy across from my husband (different doctor). He was early fifties very active guy and he was told that the metal one is for really old people, so that he couldn't have one. Okay he didn't really like this but went with it. As they put in his plastic hip they fractured his pelvis. He wasn't allowed to stand or put any weight on it for eight weeks. Okay life throws you curve balls sometime. For a week he was really sick, it took three nurses, forty five minutes to get him from his bed to the wheel chair. Then the day that after my husband had his they found out that this poor guy was allergic to all the pain killers other then plain Tylenol. So he wasn't allowed any more pain killers. All because of the type of hip his OS put in, it wasn't a grow in type and the screws that hold it in place fractured his pelvis. Why they used screws i will never know.

So not to scary you but this guy didn't feel right about his OS and this is what happened. Things can happen anyway, but it is better to be comfortable with the person doing the work on you.

Oh and the epidural isn't that bad. Craig had it and then they gave him some other drug to be sort of out of it. The OS showed him his hip after it was cut off. At the hospital Craig had it done at they had been using them since the seventies and had a lot less problems with it. And with the normal stuff you have to stay in for a few days after.

You will have to stay in until you can pee on your own. (lions gate hospital). Hope this helps some. If you have any more questions just write. I will try to tell you what I know. WHere are you from?

From: "skyepyper" <skyepyper@...>Reply-Joint Replacement To: Joint Replacement Subject: Re: Some questionsDate: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:15:04 -0000Thanks and Craig for the good adivse. I'm 47 by the way. Wow, Craig really healed fast. Dan*******************I've missed much. I don't know your age. My husband had his done on July 4 2005. He was just about 35. He he needed his result of an accident when he we 18. He was standing 3 hours after and walked out using crutches for balance the next day. HE ditched the crutches totally with in three weeks. Week five he was climbing up a water fall. He went back to work in January. IS OS kept him off because his work is manual labor, monkey job. Then with ice and snow up here, and coming down off trains and track equipment on steep ballast beds. It was better to let all the muscles get very strong. Now his scar hurts a little if he sleeps on it all night. He couldn't sleep on that hip at all. All his transferred pain is gone, nut, knee, back, everything. Being younger may have helped that.They lengthened his leg out 2-2.5 inches. But with your other leg being shorter they should shorten it. The red cross in canada has stuff that you can borrow, like reaches ( a must), raised toilet seat (he didn't use), transfer benches, walkers, and so on. My husband used a walker in the house for the first week home. It just worked better then crutches as it was more stable with dogs, and didn't knock over like crutches when it is set somewhere. Get a TV tray and zip lock bags. Then you can put small things in the zip lock bag and pack it around with you if need be. And a TV tray to be by the couch to set remotes, magazines, water bottles (work good for any cool drink has a lid). Stretch out your socks before you go in. This way if someone has to help you with them they have been pulled on and off once. So they are a little looser for them to get on. This way they don't have to wrestle with it as much.Our OS is not worried about dislocation that much. He just said not to lift and twist at the same time. Craig has slipped on the ice three times this winter and hasn't had a problem yet. Thankfully. You may go through night sweats for the first week after. This seems to be normal from what others have said. I hope this helps you. Again age, physical fitness and out look are big things to it. If you don't like what one OS says go to another. It doesn't hurt to get more opinions. Also look at the different types of hips and what could work good with you. And write questions down so you don't forget to ask them. Good luck. & Craig BC Canada

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Mellissa have you tried the blue wrap around type ones that you

can heat or put in the frezer?? I got mine at Walmart and I've been

thru 2 of them in the last few years. They have a cover with velco

so you can attach them around your neck. Also a package of frozen

peas works great on your neck wrap them in a towel and then wrap it

around your neck. You can freeze them several times over and over.

Just make sure you don't eat them later :) Hope this helps you some.

Sharon Group Owner

>

> I've written the group before describing pain in the back of neck

and shoulders. My doctor says I should use icepacks 15 minutes out

of every hour which is hard to do at work since the back of my chair

is lower than my neck and shoulders and since it's hard to balance

an icepack on my neck comfortably while typing and talking on the

phone.

> So here are my two questions and I hope I'm making since. Is there

some type of Lombard attachment that I can get to use on the back of

my chair to make it higher so I can make my neck and shoulders more

comfortable? Or, has any one come out with something like icepacks

especially made for the neck and shoulders like neck wraps? I know

some of this sounds silly but I was born totally blind and sometimes

I don't know what's out there if I don't ask. I work a full time

job and put in long hours talking on the phone and typing. I've

been doing it now for over 10 years and I guess it's now catching up

with me. Any help is appreciated.

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Mellissa have you tried the blue wrap around type ones that you

can heat or put in the frezer?? I got mine at Walmart and I've been

thru 2 of them in the last few years. They have a cover with velco

so you can attach them around your neck. Also a package of frozen

peas works great on your neck wrap them in a towel and then wrap it

around your neck. You can freeze them several times over and over.

Just make sure you don't eat them later :) Hope this helps you some.

Sharon Group Owner

>

> I've written the group before describing pain in the back of neck

and shoulders. My doctor says I should use icepacks 15 minutes out

of every hour which is hard to do at work since the back of my chair

is lower than my neck and shoulders and since it's hard to balance

an icepack on my neck comfortably while typing and talking on the

phone.

> So here are my two questions and I hope I'm making since. Is there

some type of Lombard attachment that I can get to use on the back of

my chair to make it higher so I can make my neck and shoulders more

comfortable? Or, has any one come out with something like icepacks

especially made for the neck and shoulders like neck wraps? I know

some of this sounds silly but I was born totally blind and sometimes

I don't know what's out there if I don't ask. I work a full time

job and put in long hours talking on the phone and typing. I've

been doing it now for over 10 years and I guess it's now catching up

with me. Any help is appreciated.

>

>

• 4 months later...

Hi Cherri, and welcome!

We seem to have a similar profile in terms of our

hearing loss. I started losing my hearing at around

age 9 or 10 and it progressed until I couldn't really

benefit from hearing aids (about 10 years ago--and I'm

43 now) and about a year and a half ago I got my

Nucleus Freedom implant. It has been a wonderful ride!

Happy to share more with you privately, feel free to

email me.

Unfortunately I don't have doctor info for you as I'm

in Colorado and as I have HMO insurance by default I

worked with my surgeon through this plan. Dr.

Nisan, he is awesome but too far away from you!

Deb

--- cherrisebree <Bestpumkin@...> wrote:

> Hello everyone! I'm new here. My name is Cherri, I

> am 45 and have

> had hearing loss most of my life. It started when I

> was around 13

> years old and has gotten worse over time. I am in

> the beginning

> stages of considering a CI. I see more talk about

> the Freedom than

> any other CI. My doctor gave me information on the

> Freedon and also

> The Advanced Bionics HiRes. Is anyone using the

> Bionics HiRes? Can

> you tell me what the big differences are? I have

> read the literature

> and watched the dvd's. They both sound really good

> (however, all info

> from the company is going to sound great!).

>

> Also, do you know how I can find info on doctors? I

> have tried and

> tried, but can't find anything online.

>

> Has anyone used Dr. in Lexington, Ky or Dr.

> Osetinsky?

>

> Thank you all for any information!! I greatly

> appreciate it!!

>

> Cherri

>

>

Hi Cherri,

Welcome to the list!

To find a CI center in your area, you can visit the Cochlear website at:

http://www.cochlearamericas.com

and click on the link, " Find a Clinic. " Scroll to the bottom of the page and

click on the link, " North America. " You will be taken to another page.

Once again, scroll down to the bottom and select your city and state.

Hope this helps!

Left ear - Nucleus 24 Contour Advance with Freedom BTE

Implanted: 12/22/04 Activated: 1/18/05

Right ear - Nucleus Freedom

Implanted: 2/1/06 Activated: 3/1/06

Deafblind/Postlingual

Hi Cherri,

Welcome to the group. Good to do your homework when you are making a

decision this important.

there have been more Nucleus implants done than any other kind in the

world. They have been in business longer, and are done all over the

world. Their reliability rates are the best. Check the website

www.cochlear.com for the statistics.

To find an implant surgeon, go to the same website and look for the

" find a clinic " section. Not every ENT does cochlear implants, so you

need to find someone near you.

You will be evaluated for the implant (there are criteria to be met),

and if you are a candidate, then you can start the process. More time is

probably spent with the audiologist who will map your implant, than with

the surgeon.

The Nucleus Freedom offers 5 different mapping strategies and all the

variations of each strategy, so you can have a unique map, designed just

for you and your hearing loss. The Freedom processor (that you wear to

hear the sounds through your implant) holds 4 different programs. These

are both more than any other company offers. So for a wide range of

mapping strategies, Nucleus is the one.

The Freedom is the most recent internal array as well, and has the

ability to be upgraded. Cochlear is very good about upgrades. I was

implanted 9 1/2 years ago, and any time an improvement was made, Cochlear

made it backward compatable to the extent possible, to my internal array.

So you don't have to worry that something better will come out next

year, and you'll be left behind.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The Original

Posted by: " cherrisebree " Bestpumkin@... cherrisebree

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 am (PST)

Hello everyone! I'm new here. My name is Cherri, I am 45 and have

had hearing loss most of my life. It started when I was around 13

years old and has gotten worse over time. I am in the beginning

stages of considering a CI. I see more talk about the Freedom than

any other CI. My doctor gave me information on the Freedon and also

The Advanced Bionics HiRes. Is anyone using the Bionics HiRes? Can

you tell me what the big differences are? I have read the literature

and watched the dvd's. They both sound really good (however, all info

from the company is going to sound great!).

Also, do you know how I can find info on doctors? I have tried and

tried, but can't find anything online.

Has anyone used Dr. in Lexington, Ky or Dr. Osetinsky?

Thank you all for any information!! I greatly appreciate it!!

Cherri

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Hi Mark,

I haven't been doing the diet(s) or cleansing so others can advise

you better on those.

Look for Ray's protocol by clicking on the " Files " link on the left

of the birdmites forum (to the left of where messages are

displayed.

I have not had good luck with drycleaning (particularly my wool

suits) although others have not reported problems.

Another option for your apartment/clothing, besides soaking, is

microwaving. Or baking. Do a search through old messages -- both

of these have people who have had very good results with them.

I have done both: baking for large quantities of clothing together,

and microwaving for ALL clothing (just before and after wearing),

and same for bath towels.

Look for tips on old messages on how to do this safely: most

important is to cover all metal if possible (zippers, metal snaps,

etc.). I have burned/lost some items.

Good luck!

>

> Hello Everyone,

>  

> (I tried sending this out already once but seem to have failed. 

Sorry if this shows up twice.)

>  

> I've been struggling with this for almost a month and confess I am

not making much headway.  Perhaps I haven't been as thorough

cleaning my apartment and my laundry as I need to be.  I am hoping a

more zealous regimen there will help.  I have a few questions. 

>  

> First, RAY'S PROTOCOL.  I have seen people here refer to Ray's

protocol (and the importance of Windex).  Where can we find that? 

Is it on the birdmites.org website?  How important was diet to Ray's

protocol?

>  

> Second, DIET.  I am following a (i) no/low carb, (ii) high garlic

(supplements), (iii) high salt (three teaspoons added to food each

day) diet.  Does anyone have any experience (for or against)

eliminating caffeine?  I am still drinking quite a bit of coffee but

have eliminated all carbonated beverages (like Diet Coke).  I am

becoming relatively sleep deprived and I fear cutting out coffee

will make me a zombie.  Also, I still consume a few carbs in the

form of steamed broccoli and unsweetened cranberry juice.  I think

the broccoli is OK but I am not sure about the juice.  Does anyone

have any thoughts about cranberry juice?  I know that it may

function like a natural antibiotic.  Is that good or bad for this

dietary protocol.

>  

> Third, LAUNDRY.  Does everybody agree that dry cleaning works?  I

live in a building that does not allow laundry machines in the

apartment and, logistically, soaking isn't easy.  Are there any

alternatives?  Did I read that someone thinks washing the same load

twice may do the trick?  If I do soak, what's the minimum effective

time?  I think Rita soaks in plain water for eight hours or more. 

If I add Clorox is a shorter soak effective?

>  

> Sorry for all the questions.  On the recommendation of another

poster here, I bought an ozone machine.  I will let you all know if

it helps.

>  

> Thanks.

>  

> Mark

>

Guest guest

Thanks miteyman! I appreciate your quick response!

From: miteyman <miteyman@...>Subject: Re: Some Questionsbird mites Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 12:43 PM

Hi Mark,I haven't been doing the diet(s) or cleansing so others can advise you better on those.Look for Ray's protocol by clicking on the "Files" link on the left of the birdmites forum (to the left of where messages are displayed.I have not had good luck with drycleaning (particularly my wool suits) although others have not reported problems.Another option for your apartment/clothing, besides soaking, is microwaving. Or baking. Do a search through old messages -- both of these have people who have had very good results with them.I have done both: baking for large quantities of clothing together, and microwaving for ALL clothing (just before and after wearing), and same for bath towels.Look for tips on old messages on how to do this safely: most important is to cover all metal if possible (zippers, metal snaps, etc.). I have burned/lost some

items.Good luck! >> Hello Everyone,> > (I tried sending this out already once but seem to have failed. Sorry if this shows up twice.)> > I've been struggling with this for almost a month and confess I am not making much headway. Perhaps I haven't been as thorough cleaning my apartment and my laundry as I need to be. I am hoping a more zealous regimen there will help. I have a few questions. > > First, RAY'S PROTOCOL. I have seen people here refer to Ray's protocol (and the importance of Windex). Where can we find that? Is it on the birdmites.org website? How important was diet to Ray's protocol?> >

Second, DIET. I am following a (i) no/low carb, (ii) high garlic (supplements) , (iii) high salt (three teaspoons added to food each day) diet. Does anyone have any experience (for or against) eliminating caffeine? I am still drinking quite a bit of coffee but have eliminated all carbonated beverages (like Diet Coke). I am becoming relatively sleep deprived and I fear cutting out coffee will make me a zombie. Also, I still consume a few carbs in the form of steamed broccoli and unsweetened cranberry juice. I think the broccoli is OK but I am not sure about the juice. Does anyone have any thoughts about cranberry juice? I know that it may function like a natural antibiotic. Is that good or bad for this dietary protocol. > > Third, LAUNDRY. Does everybody agree that dry cleaning works? I

live in a building that does not allow laundry machines in the apartment and, logistically, soaking isn't easy. Are there any alternatives? Did I read that someone thinks washing the same load twice may do the trick? If I do soak, what's the minimum effective time? I think Rita soaks in plain water for eight hours or more. If I add Clorox is a shorter soak effective?> > Sorry for all the questions. On the recommendation of another poster here, I bought an ozone machine. I will let you all know if it helps.> > Thanks.> > Mark>

Guest guest

Mark,

On the diet, try eliminating the cranberry juice for a week and see if

that helps. From what I've read, black coffee should not be a

problem. I've been drinking a decaf/real coffee blend and seem to be

okay. I get reactions (my skin starts to feel " buggy " ) if I eat

vegetable oils -- butter is okay. The person who wrote the lyme diet

ebook says that rice bran oil will not aggravate our condition, but it

is not available where I live. Maybe you can get it in New York. He

also mentioned other things like gelatin (even the gelatin in

capsules) and fennel seem to make the bugs go wild. A lot of sausages

contain fennel. Try to keep track of what you're eating and whether

or not you have reactions. Sometimes the reactions may happen several

hours or even a day or two after you eat the offending food.

myrtle

>

> Hello Everyone,

>

> (I tried sending this out already once but seem to have failed.

Sorry if this shows up twice.)

>

> I've been struggling with this for almost a month and confess I am

not making much headway. Perhaps I haven't been as thorough cleaning

my apartment and my laundry as I need to be. I am hoping a more

zealous regimen there will help. I have a few questions.

>

> First, RAY'S PROTOCOL. I have seen people here refer to Ray's

protocol (and the importance of Windex). Where can we find that? Is

it on the birdmites.org website? How important was diet to Ray's

protocol?

>

> Second, DIET. I am following a (i) no/low carb, (ii) high garlic

(supplements), (iii) high salt (three teaspoons added to food each

day) diet. Does anyone have any experience (for or against)

eliminating caffeine? I am still drinking quite a bit of coffee but

have eliminated all carbonated beverages (like Diet Coke). I am

becoming relatively sleep deprived and I fear cutting out coffee will

make me a zombie. Also, I still consume a few carbs in the form of

steamed broccoli and unsweetened cranberry juice. I think the

broccoli is OK but I am not sure about the juice. Does anyone have

any thoughts about cranberry juice? I know that it may function like

a natural antibiotic. Is that good or bad for this dietary protocol.

>

> Third, LAUNDRY. Does everybody agree that dry cleaning works? I

live in a building that does not allow laundry machines in the

apartment and, logistically, soaking isn't easy. Are there any

alternatives? Did I read that someone thinks washing the same load

twice may do the trick? If I do soak, what's the minimum effective

time? I think Rita soaks in plain water for eight hours or more. If

I add Clorox is a shorter soak effective?

>

> Sorry for all the questions. On the recommendation of another

poster here, I bought an ozone machine. I will let you all know if it

helps.

>

> Thanks.

>

> Mark

>

Guest guest

Has Anyone confirmed whether or not taking gelatin out of your diet has made a difference? So many of my supplements come with it that I have been reluctant to try going without since they are so small and the supplements seem to do so much for me.

Guest guest

Again, you are your advocate. If you feel they are doing you good, and they make you feel better as opposed to feeling worse, then there is no reason for you to change something based on someone else's experience. They may have different issues or health issues and their experience may be totally different with the same substance. My motto is the fewer ingredients, the better to ingest. Pronounciation of the ingredients is important to me as well. If I cannot pronounce it, I don't tend to buy it. I also tend to stay away from supplements containg silica, maltodextrin, and soy esp. I will make more exceptions to maltodextrin but I will never ingest soy knowingly. Kosher gelatin, magnesium stearate, and cellulose are ok for

me..................Frito

Re: Some Questions

Has Anyone confirmed whether or not taking gelatin out of your diet has made a difference? So many of my supplements come with it that I have been reluctant to try going without since they are so small and the supplements seem to do so much for me.

• 1 month later...

My Surgery was on the 16th (2 days before yours) my tongue had JUST become

normal. My surgeon did say it will take months.

Sounds like you are doing good job hence need more mappings.

Sorry can't be more of help with classroom as haven't been there yet, have you

spoken/emailed to your Audi, to ask for different program just for classroom?

Good luck

Charlotte

Some questions

Sorry if you all get this twice!

I had the surgery July 18th and my tongue still has some taste disturbance

on the surgery side. For those who had this, how long did it take to go away?

I feel as if I am progressing faster with the new implant than I did the

first time. (Too bad I can't get more frequent mappings). Has this been a

similar experience for other bilaterals implanted sequentially? If so, please

explain how with as much detail as possible.

Classrooms in older school buildings are horrible places for me

acoustically. The sound is too echoey and resonant. What do others do to hear

better in

this type of environment?

Thanks!!!

************ **It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel

deal here.

(http://information. travel.aol. com/deals? ncid=aoltrv00050 000000047)

Hi leslie,

Glad you getting on well. I had my cochlear implant surgery in april

and were switched on in may. It's now 5 month since i've had this

cochlear implant and it's amazing on what I can here.

I had the same problem, my tongue taste metalic, kinda numb and every

time I eat I can't really taste the flavour, This lasted about 3

month, it faded slowly but glad i can taste cochlate again lol.

so, don't worry to much it will come back eventually. good luck on

your other mapping.

katie

http://katie-louisescochlearimplant.blogspot.com/

>

> My Surgery was on the 16th (2 days before yours) my tongue had JUST

become normal. My surgeon did say it will take months.

>  

> Sounds like you are doing good job hence need more mappings.

>  

> Sorry can't be more of help with classroom as haven't been there

yet, have you spoken/emailed to your Audi, to ask for different

program just for classroom?

>  

> Good luck

>  

> Charlotte

>

>

>

> Some questions

>

>

> Sorry if you all get this twice!

>

> I had the surgery July 18th and my tongue still has some taste

disturbance

> on the surgery side. For those who had this, how long did it take

to go away?

>

> I feel as if I am progressing faster with the new implant than I

did the

> first time. (Too bad I can't get more frequent mappings). Has this

been a

> similar experience for other bilaterals implanted sequentially? If

so, please

> explain how with as much detail as possible.

>

> Classrooms in older school buildings are horrible places for me

> acoustically. The sound is too echoey and resonant. What do others

do to hear better in

> this type of environment?

>

> Thanks!!!

>

>

> ************ **It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find

your travel

> deal here.

> (http://information. travel.aol. com/deals? ncid=aoltrv00050

000000047)

>

>

- on my first implant side i had the taste problem; I think it took up to

3 months . I had the surgery in June and it was gone the end of Sept. I sucked

on brach's peppermint candies as that helped.

Now for ur classroom question; I have used the noise map with the sens turned

down and that helped a bit. You might want to experiment with your noise and

maybe your focus maps and see what works best for your hearing footprint.

When I got my 2nd implant; I was still in AVT so I think that helped me progress

faster and my brain knew what the sounds were from thr first time around.

Snoopy

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Hi, ,

I only had the tongue thing with my first implant, but I remember it

lasting a few months. For me it felt as though my tongue was just waking up

from

novacaine at the dentist. Suddenly one day it was just gone.

In those rooms where the acoustics are bad - I'm using a noise program -

adro with audosensitivity. I just got it a few weeks ago and it seems to be

working really well for me. I even use it for everyday a lot. As far as

going back for more frequent mappings - just call your audi and say you are not

happy and would like a " tweak " sooner rather than later. For years I would go

back every 3 months! This year is the first time I went over a year without a

new mapping. Now with the new smart sounds I think I will be going a few

times to " get tweaked " . HTH - Jackie :o)

**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel

deal here.

(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)

Hi ,

I had my bilateral implant on the left side on June 3, 2008. My doctor

told me I was a physilogical challenge. When he opened up saw 4 taste

nerves and could not navigate in between them so he had to cut one of

them. My taste was bad for the first couple of months and is NOW coming

back to normal. Don't worry it will be fine later on.

As far as classroom is concern I don't have much experience but have you tried

lowering the sensitivity of your processor.

Subject: Some questions

, forum@...

Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 10:17 PM

Sorry if you all get this twice!

I had the surgery July 18th and my tongue still has some taste disturbance

on the surgery side. For those who had this, how long did it take to go away?

I feel as if I am progressing faster with the new implant than I did the

first time. (Too bad I can't get more frequent mappings). Has this been a

similar experience for other bilaterals implanted sequentially? If so, please

explain how with as much detail as possible.

Classrooms in older school buildings are horrible places for me

acoustically. The sound is too echoey and resonant. What do others do to hear

better in

this type of environment?

Thanks!!!

************ **It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel

deal here.

(http://information. travel.aol. com/deals? ncid=aoltrv00050 000000047)

What is a sound blaster? Also, what do you mean by CI schools?

In a message dated 9/4/2008 10:29:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

wdywms@... writes:

In CI schools, sound blasters have been installed to help with the problem

of the acoustics.

**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel

deal here.

(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)