Sweet potatoes are a particular type of potatoes from the same order as regular ones with the difference that they are part of different species and a different family. You can find sweet potatoes in a variety of colors.
The most frequently found are the ones with white-cream and yellow-orange color. There are also sweet potatoes with purple flesh and they are extremely abundant in antioxidants. The most important thing about them is that they have excellent nutritional values.
15 Nutritious Facts
1. Sweet potatoes contain carotenoids which help in producing Vitamin A. This vitamin regenerates the respiratory system. So, people with respiratory problems, especially smokers should consume sweet potatoes more often.
2. Sweet potatoes are an excellent choice for diabetics since they contain natural sugars that decrease and stabilize the insulin resistance in diabetics. They are also good for the regulation of the sugar levels.
3. Sweet potatoes are rich in dietary fibers which are good for digestion. They also prevent colon cancer and help with constipation.
4. Vitamin D is also contained in sweet potatoes. This vitamin is good for the teeth, heart, skin, bones, energy levels as well as for the normal function of the thyroid gland.
5. In general there can be an improvement of the heart functioning with the help of the potassium. This vitamin lowers the impact of the sodium, regulates blood pressure and makes a balance of the electrolytes.
The sweet potato has Vitamin B6 that prevents heart attacks, strokes and degenerative diseases.
6. Vitamin C is crucial for the entire body’s function and sweet potatoes have abundance of it.
7. Did you know that you can use the water from the boiled potatoes for treating your skin? Especially for irritation of the skin, cleaning the pores and absorbing impurities.
The Vitamin C contained in the sweet potato will produce collagen while the vitamin E will help in the improvement of the complexion of the skin. Anthocyanins will help you in removing wrinkles and purifying the dark circles around the eyes.
8. The potassium in the sweet potatoes is good for healthy tissues and muscles. It also helps in reducing swelling and cramps, provides with energy and relaxes the muscles. It also regulates heartbeats and nerve signals.
9. Beta –carotene in the sweet potato acts like an anti –oxidant. It helps with arthritis, gout and asthma, protects against lung and breast cancer and it also reduces aging effects.
10. Since sweet potatoes are rich in folic acid, they are a great source of folic for healthy fetal development. Pregnant women should consume more sweet potatoes.
11. The potassium content in potatoes increases the flow of oxygen, regulates the balance of the body’s water and normalizes the heartbeats. The magnesium content on the other hand acts as an anti-stress agent.
12. Sweet potatoes are also rich in iron that has a crucial role in the producing of red and white blood cells. That’s why they help against anemia.
13. If you suffer from painful pre-menstrual symptoms, the iron and manganese in sweet potatoes will soothe them.
14. Having problems with damaged hair and dandruff? The beta-carotene will prevent them and it will also stimulate hair growth.
15. Since sweet potatoes have an abundance of the vitamins vital for the enzyme, protein and carbohydrate metabolism you should consume them more often. However, you need to consult a doctor if you have ever had oxalate urinary tract stones.