RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Potty Training

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,

Have you tried the Cheerio cereal game. This is how it goes put a few Cheerio cereals in the toilet and tell him he has to sink them in the toilet by urinating on them. It worked for me and my son has been going to the toilet every since. lol Sometimes we have to be have a little fun while we teach them things.

From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>Subject: Re: Potty trainingautism Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 11:04 PM

My son is 12 and still wets the bed and messes in his pants. He just won't go on the toilet. He sees a GI doc next week. His family doc says he has encopresis. it is very frustrating. At least I have moved into a house with a washer and dryer.

Guest guest

Hi TJ,

It really helps to hear about your experiences. I'll have to try the Elmo video

(with ear plugs in). I hope after some pragmatic speech therapy he will be able

to tell us what's bothering him about diaper changing. He's always eaten lots

of fruits & veggies so he's never had a constipation problem. I've been giving

him more time to think about getting changed before I set a timer, then I ask

him to turn the timer off so we can get him cleaned up. It worked well last

week; we'll see what happens this week.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Becky

> >

> > My husband & I take care of our 3 1/2 yr old grandson 3 to 4 days a week and

he was recently diagnosed with asperger's (a lot of things make sense now). Of

course I would like to get him potty trained in the near future but at this

moment I would be happy if he would let me change him without first screaming &

throwing himself on the floor. Eventually, he willingly takes my hand and we go

in his room to change him. He never minded it when he was younger. I always

sang songs to him and he smiled while I changed him.

> >

> > He's so sweet most of the time but does meltdown over small issues and since

he has difficulty communicating, we have a hard time figuring out what the

problem is.

> >

> > He'll start ECDD pre-school soon and we're hoping for improved

communication. I'm reading a book and trying to understand the syndrome so I

can help him. It breaks my heart to see him struggle so any advice will be

appreciated.

> > t/u

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi! My 40 month old toddler is " learning " potty training, but it seems like he

does not know what all this is about. Sometimes he just says " no " i dont want

to. We have been trying for two weeks now and he always pees his pants though we

also take him to the bathroom and he pees there (no poop yet)

Does any one have an idea of how long this will take? Next year he needs to go

to the potty to go to pre school as this year they change his diaper but next

year they won't :( I am not sure if he will be able to go to the next level :(.

Thanks a lot for your comments!!

Guest guest

Our son is 4yrs and 9mo old and just finished potty training not too long ago. It was a long process. Don't expect it to happen in a couple of weeks, or even a couple of months. You have to stick with it and eventually they'll get it. He would go pee when we prompted him to go, but otherwise would have accidents. It is harder for them to sense the need to go, this may have something to do with sensory integration difficulties.

Try to make it more about the accomplishments than the 'failures'. Our son also started telling us 'no' he didn't want to go. I am not sure if this is because he actually didn't feel the need or was just tired of us making him go. Our son is heavily into the Train. I printed pictures off of the internet of trains (made the images fit an 8x10 sheet) I cut them up into pieces (just squares) and numbered them. When our son went 'potty' in the toilet he got a piece of the 'puzzle' to glue on a background sheet I made with the squares drawn on and numbers written in them matching the pieces so he could easily glue them in the correct spot. I started with 4 pieces so he could see the accomplishment quickly. Then moved to 6 then 8 pieces. We actually bought him the trains that he was able to get when he completed the puzzle and turned it in for the train. But you can vary this,

using whatever your child likes. Certain tv programs he can watch when the puzzle is completed. Or getting to do certain activities when the puzzle is complete. We would hang the puzzle on the bathroom door so he could see his progress. Then I started telling him, if you go potty on your own without me telling you I will give you 2 pieces. This took a little while, but he figured it out. So then the number1 part was done.

Try some good age appropriate books. We never used a book for number1 but a good book that worked for our son for number2 was "Everyone Poops" by Taro Gomi. It basically talks about how all animals go poop in different ways and different places, then gets to humans with kids, babies (in diapers), and adults. It is somewhat graphic in the sense that is shows people sitting on the potty and poop in the toilet, but not actual pictures it is drawings. We talked about who my son was, not a baby but a little boy so he could identify with the child going on the toilet. I also took his number 2 into the bathroom each time he went in his pants and dumped what I could of it into the toilet with him watching. I would have him flush the toilet and talk about that is where the 'poo-poo' is supposed to go. I gave big incentive for going number2 in the potty. He was told he could have a train for going just one

time in the potty. When I saw him squatting (the number2 is coming squat) I would tell him, hurry put it in the potty and you can have the train. After a few days of this he went #2 in the toilet. Then I used a few treat incentives for keeping him going in the toilet. We used cake like treats, cupcakes, brownies, etc. Not food he usually got to have. It worked for us.

I also started a reward chart for anything we have difficulty with. Going only in the toilet, staying in your chair when eating, brushing teeth, getting dressed by yourself, etc. This also helped.

Hope some of this helps you. Hang in there, it will happen. Some of our kids just need more time. Keeping it positive helps them, otherwise they want to avoid the entire situation.

~ P.

From: ssandia <ssandiacr@...>Subject: ( ) Potty Training Date: Friday, September 17, 2010, 7:51 PM

Hi! My 40 month old toddler is "learning" potty training, but it seems like he does not know what all this is about. Sometimes he just says "no" i dont want to. We have been trying for two weeks now and he always pees his pants though we also take him to the bathroom and he pees there (no poop yet)Does any one have an idea of how long this will take? Next year he needs to go to the potty to go to pre school as this year they change his diaper but next year they won't :( I am not sure if he will be able to go to the next level :(. Thanks a lot for your comments!!

Guest guest

My younger son wasn't toilet trained til 4- was very frustrating. What finally

did it was finding the right incentive. While I wouldn't recommend candy at all

times, some parents find the M & M method (rewarding each successful toilet

experience and perhaps an extra treat for a dry day) works. What worked for us

was a Mickey Mouse watch. After 7 days of dry days, that was teh reward. Good

luck

>

> Hi! My 40 month old toddler is " learning " potty training, but it seems like he

to. We have been trying for two weeks now and he always pees his pants though we

> Does any one have an idea of how long this will take? Next year he needs to go

>

Guest guest

Hi ,You have no idea how much I appreciate your answer, it really helped!Sandy From: missypruden@...Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 09:29:16 -0700Subject: Re: ( ) Potty Training

Our son is 4yrs and 9mo old and just finished potty training not too long ago. It was a long process. Don't expect it to happen in a couple of weeks, or even a couple of months. You have to stick with it and eventually they'll get it. He would go pee when we prompted him to go, but otherwise would have accidents. It is harder for them to sense the need to go, this may have something to do with sensory integration difficulties.

Try to make it more about the accomplishments than the 'failures'. Our son also started telling us 'no' he didn't want to go. I am not sure if this is because he actually didn't feel the need or was just tired of us making him go. Our son is heavily into the Train. I printed pictures off of the internet of trains (made the images fit an 8x10 sheet) I cut them up into pieces (just squares) and numbered them. When our son went 'potty' in the toilet he got a piece of the 'puzzle' to glue on a background sheet I made with the squares drawn on and numbers written in them matching the pieces so he could easily glue them in the correct spot. I started with 4 pieces so he could see the accomplishment quickly. Then moved to 6 then 8 pieces. We actually bought him the trains that he was able to get when he completed the puzzle and turned it in for the train. But you can vary this,

using whatever your child likes. Certain tv programs he can watch when the puzzle is completed. Or getting to do certain activities when the puzzle is complete. We would hang the puzzle on the bathroom door so he could see his progress. Then I started telling him, if you go potty on your own without me telling you I will give you 2 pieces. This took a little while, but he figured it out. So then the number1 part was done.

Try some good age appropriate books. We never used a book for number1 but a good book that worked for our son for number2 was "Everyone Poops" by Taro Gomi. It basically talks about how all animals go poop in different ways and different places, then gets to humans with kids, babies (in diapers), and adults. It is somewhat graphic in the sense that is shows people sitting on the potty and poop in the toilet, but not actual pictures it is drawings. We talked about who my son was, not a baby but a little boy so he could identify with the child going on the toilet. I also took his number 2 into the bathroom each time he went in his pants and dumped what I could of it into the toilet with him watching. I would have him flush the toilet and talk about that is where the 'poo-poo' is supposed to go. I gave big incentive for going number2 in the potty. He was told he could have a train for going just one

time in the potty. When I saw him squatting (the number2 is coming squat) I would tell him, hurry put it in the potty and you can have the train. After a few days of this he went #2 in the toilet. Then I used a few treat incentives for keeping him going in the toilet. We used cake like treats, cupcakes, brownies, etc. Not food he usually got to have. It worked for us.

I also started a reward chart for anything we have difficulty with. Going only in the toilet, staying in your chair when eating, brushing teeth, getting dressed by yourself, etc. This also helped.

Hope some of this helps you. Hang in there, it will happen. Some of our kids just need more time. Keeping it positive helps them, otherwise they want to avoid the entire situation.

~ P.

From: ssandia <ssandiacr@...>Subject: ( ) Potty Training Date: Friday, September 17, 2010, 7:51 PM

Hi! My 40 month old toddler is "learning" potty training, but it seems like he does not know what all this is about. Sometimes he just says "no" i dont want to. We have been trying for two weeks now and he always pees his pants though we also take him to the bathroom and he pees there (no poop yet)Does any one have an idea of how long this will take? Next year he needs to go to the potty to go to pre school as this year they change his diaper but next year they won't :( I am not sure if he will be able to go to the next level :(. Thanks a lot for your comments!!

Guest guest

My son with AS was almost six before he was all the way trained. If we took him

on schedule, he would do ok with peeing but wouldn't tell us he had to go. But

poop didn't happen at all until he was almost 6. When he was finally ready, he

did great on his own without much prompting but it took him FOREVER to really

get the idea. And yes we literally tried everything (naked method, potty

charts, underwear, cool sensation pullups, potty dolls, dvds, books, cutting the

hole in the pull up, picture charts, etc) I feel for ya, but I don't have much

advice other than talk to the school. They do have to accommodate him if he has

special needs.

>

> Hi! My 40 month old toddler is " learning " potty training, but it seems like he

> Does any one have an idea of how long this will take? Next year he needs to go

>

Guest guest

I potty trained my son while he was in a cast but he was over 3 and was walking. It wasn't any harder than potty training a child that is not in a cast. We never really had any issues with getting the cast wet or dirty, we always put him to bed in a pullup and during the day he would run around naked alot and we would put him on the potty chair constantly and reward with m and m's. Good luck. I am sure she will do great. Girls are usually easier. Joanmom to Hayden 439 degrees down from 62After 4 casts, now in a brace 23 hours/dayTreated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

From: juliechafin2005 <juliechafin2005@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Wed, January 12, 2011 9:12:11 AMSubject: Potty Training

Getting ready to start potty training Abby (who is now 17 months old) this Spring. She is in her 2nd cast and is still not walking on her own. My question is - Have any of you found casting to make it harder to potty train your kids? Any advice on how to make this training easier on her while still helping to keep the cast dry? Is it even possible to train a child who is not walking on her own? (also, she is not saying much yet either - just a very few words)Thanks,, mom of Abby (17 months) 48* down to 14 degrees in 2nd cast