RemedySpot.com

sleep video

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son keeps wanting to watch TV or a movie to help him fall asleep. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I hate when it doesn't on a school night. Anyone know of a good night time movie (like those relaxing CD's only a video/DVD). Just so he could have the TV on without it being stimulating.

TV to sleep by for me is old reruns of Law

and Order. Anything I have seen several times will work though.

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008

5:53 AM

Subject: Re: ( )

sleep video

Just a thought, what about one of those nature movies that have several

movies to follow them. something like little house on the prairie.

they have a few selections where you rent it on DVDs. We starting

watching one about a family (many years ago) that built their own cabin.

they had to hunt their own food, make their own clothes, had little excitement

that comes with those days with survival skills but the whole tape was relaxing

& nice watching the nature seens. Hope he's into nature?

Rose

Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net>

wrote:

My son keeps wanting to watch TV or a movie to help him fall asleep.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I hate when it doesn't on a

school night. Anyone know of a good night time movie (like those relaxing CD's

only a video/DVD). Just so he

could have the TV on without it being stimulating.

Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

Me too!!!! My husband teases me that I make it through the intro until ......"in the criminal justice system...." and then I am asleep.

RE: ( ) sleep video

TV to sleep by for me is old reruns of Law and Order. Anything I have seen several times will work though.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of RoseSent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:53 AM Subject: Re: ( ) sleep video

Just a thought, what about one of those nature movies that have several movies to follow them. something like little house on the prairie. they have a few selections where you rent it on DVDs. We starting watching one about a family (many years ago) that built their own cabin. they had to hunt their own food, make their own clothes, had little excitement that comes with those days with survival skills but the whole tape was relaxing & nice watching the nature seens. Hope he's into nature?

Rose Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote:

My son keeps wanting to watch TV or a movie to help him fall asleep. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I hate when it doesn't on a school night. Anyone know of a good night time movie (like those relaxing CD's only a video/DVD). Just so he could have the TV on without it being stimulating.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

Maggie, I enjoyed talking with you about the sleep video and thank you for links to websites and the

current research going on about baby's sleep. Netmums is also an excellent resource.I agree the film is going to be useful for HV training because of its authenticity as a real life story and the commonly found meaty issues it raises. It could be paused for discussion about background and research for training. It doesn't cover recent neuro-science about why sleep and

the methods for promoting it are important because by the time a mother asks for help she does not need the science or any persuading to do something about her problem. This is a practical look at helping parents to help babies learn to sleep. Falling somewhere between gradual withdrawal and controlled crying, it intends being responsive to both the parents' style and the baby's emotional development.Here is the link

to the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5kKiYMk2QI continued thinking about our chat and thought it might be interesting to share an idea I was mulling over with you and SENATE. There is a lot of research going on about sleep just now and I think you commented on how hard it is to keep up with it all especially as we are expected to be evidenced-based in what we do. in a previous email also commented that research evidence is hard to access for most practitioners. I was thinking about the video and

that the only references shown are old when I do know about 'toxic stress' and that there is relevant neuro-scientific knowledge that could be cited. I wondered if this video shows itself to be evidence-based practice? Then I reminded myself about the different types of research and the link for me between research and practice. This alongside method of practice has not emerged from scientific research, although the science has informed it. To be more truthful the science happens to fit a method that evolved out of practical experiences working with thousands of families over decades, because it works and because it suits the instinctive intuitive desires of how parents want to be with their children. I do love the way psychotherapy (and common sense?) now match up with science.So my points are firstly that in the video a book informed the mother Ruth's, thinking and planning. The next reference I drew on because it was illustrative of a way of explaining 'containment'. So this practical method has emerged from/is grounded in practice rather than science although science informs and helps to validate it as an acceptable method to use.My second point is that as collaborative action research, which is what alongside practice is for me, creates valid research evidence because it is validated through the continuing scrutiny of families and colleagues. So I suppose I have come full circle and reassured myself that the alongside approach to managing sleep is an

evidence-based approach.I needed to do this thinking for myself but pleased to receive comments.Robyn