RemedySpot.com
Guest guest

softening stools

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all,I have been on SCD for about 3 months. I am doing okay I think. About a week ago, I got completely off the steroids (yay!!). I don't have diarrhea or constipation, and I almost have no abdominal cramping. I only have 2 to 3 bowel movements a day (as opposed to 4 to 6 when I am flaring) and the stool is fully formed and normal looking (not watery or small). In other words, I seemed to be in good health. In addition to which, I saw my GI this week and he confirmed that I am NOT flaring up. 

Buuuuut. I am still having some problems. Right at the point I actually pass stool, I have a noticeable burning sensation. I do not get this sensation ever when I have a flare (and i've had plenty in the past 10 years). When I flare, its always painfully severe constipation, violent diarrhea, and abdominal cramping. In this case, the pain is comparable to my hemorrhoids being irritated and inflamed. On a pain scale between 1-10, I'd say its a 2 or a 3. In other words, its uncomfortable and annoying but nothing i couldn't live with. However, I don't want it to burn when I have a bowel movement. :)

I talked to my GI about this and i mentioned that I feared it was an anal fissure. He checked me out and said he didn't think so.  He prescribed anucort (its a hydrocortisone suppository). I am supposed to use this twice daily for two weeks and see if that makes the pain go away. Its certainly possible that I am just irritated and inflamed down there as a side effect of the crohns and it'll eventually dissipate on its own.

I wonder though if modifying my diet or using over the counter scd legal meds would help to soften the stools. My stools are probably slightly too hard and I wonder if by softening them I can reduce the burning sensation and let my posterior heal. I tried miralax and that led to violent diarrhea. Anyone have recommendations for an SCD legal stool softener? Also, diet recommendations are welcome. here's what i am eating currently:

-chicken soup (from intro diet)-DCCC-ripe bananas-cooked butternut squash- apple (with skin removed) (i have one apple once every 2 or 3 days)-broiled hamburger

-homemade ketchup-cooked and pureed carrots-SCD yogurt-chicken-eggs-mild cheddar cheeseI am wondering if I should start to add in some more fruit and whether that will make my stools softer. What sort of intro fruits would  people recommend? I have a stricture so grapes are a big no no.

Thanks,JoeCrohns 10 years,SCD 3 monthsHumira, 40 mg per weekLDN, 4.5mg per day