the past 3-4 months I’ve noticed that my O2 sats have been dropping lower

when I exercised or otherwise exerted myself, and found that I was having

trouble negotiating inclines when I was at the get together in Chattanooga back

in Oct. I had had two six min walks in the previous three months, one of which

showed that I didn’t drop below 90 percent and the other I failed because

of my pulse rate going sky high. After explaining all this to my new Pulmo here

in Melbourne, he scheduled another 6 min walk. The results were as I expected,

dropping to 84 percent before being stopped and put on oxygen, and it looks as

though I will now be on O2 for exertion.

At

one point the 6 min walk generated a little personal amusement. After I was

hooked up to oxygen, I took off and started walking as I normally do.

Glancing at the oximeter, I saw that the sats were dropping like a rock again. I’m

going “Oh No! O2 isn’t helping!” At about this point the young

lady who was administering the test tells me to breathe in deeply through my

nose and out slowly through my mouth. Big DUH moment. How could I possibly get

oxygen if I’m breathing in through my mouth? Looks like I’m going

to have to retrain myself to breathe right, as I found that very difficult to

do.

Not

sure how I feel about having personally met this milestone. On the one hand it’s

nice to have finally convinced someone that I needed help, but it is a tad

depressing knowing that I need it. But life goes on. I now have a new learning

opportunity and will go back and review everything written here re oxygen

equipment, providers, etc. I know the info is here ‘cause I’ve seen

it. It’s just that this severe case of CRS that I have forces me to

constantly review. J

Bob

Dopher 67 IPF 04/07

Guest guest

Bob... let me join in with a giggle here. I've done the same thing and I've read where others have also. hehehee

MamaSher; IPF 2006, NSIP, PH 2009, OR.Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:27 AM

To: Breathe-Support

Subject: Milestone

For the past 3-4 months I’ve noticed that my O2 sats have been dropping lower when I exercised or otherwise exerted myself, and found that I was having trouble negotiating inclines when I was at the get together in Chattanooga back in Oct. I had had two six min walks in the previous three months, one of which showed that I didn’t drop below 90 percent and the other I failed because of my pulse rate going sky high. After explaining all this to my new Pulmo here in Melbourne, he scheduled another 6 min walk. The results were as I expected, dropping to 84 percent before being stopped and put on oxygen, and it looks as though I will now be on O2 for exertion.

At one point the 6 min walk generated a little personal amusement. After I was hooked up to oxygen, I took off and started walking as I normally do. Glancing at the oximeter, I saw that the sats were dropping like a rock again. I’m going “Oh No! O2 isn’t helping!” At about this point the young lady who was administering the test tells me to breathe in deeply through my nose and out slowly through my mouth. Big DUH moment. How could I possibly get oxygen if I’m breathing in through my mouth? Looks like I’m going to have to retrain myself to breathe right, as I found that very difficult to do.

Not sure how I feel about having personally met this milestone. On the one hand it’s nice to have finally convinced someone that I needed help, but it is a tad depressing knowing that I need it. But life goes on. I now have a new learning opportunity and will go back and review everything written here re oxygen equipment, providers, etc. I know the info is here ‘cause I’ve seen it. It’s just that this severe case of CRS that I have forces me to constantly review. J

Bob Dopher 67 IPF 04/07

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.716 / Virus Database: 270.14.103/2558 - Release Date: 12/11/09 02:06:00

Guest guest

Friend: My memory is shot and I sometimes can not spell or remember medical terms. I have two very good solutions for you.

1. Use lip-sink breathing techniques when you exercise. It will bring your oxygen level fast . I forgot to use it every minute of my last six walk and mine dropped to 86. I was walking fast.

2. Drink water or fluids often and before(during if possible) you exercise. It doesn't take much water to bring improvement. This too will bring up your oxygen level fast. Burns

Subject: MilestoneTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 12:27 PM

For the past 3-4 months I’ve noticed that my O2 sats have been dropping lower when I exercised or otherwise exerted myself, and found that I was having trouble negotiating inclines when I was at the get together in Chattanooga back in Oct. I had had two six min walks in the previous three months, one of which showed that I didn’t drop below 90 percent and the other I failed because of my pulse rate going sky high. After explaining all this to my new Pulmo here in Melbourne, he scheduled another 6 min walk. The results were as I expected, dropping to 84 percent before being stopped and put on oxygen, and it looks as though I will now be on O2 for exertion.

At one point the 6 min walk generated a little personal amusement. After I was hooked up to oxygen, I took off and started walking as I normally do. Glancing at the oximeter, I saw that the sats were dropping like a rock again. I’m going “Oh No! O2 isn’t helping!†At about this point the young lady who was administering the test tells me to breathe in deeply through my nose and out slowly through my mouth. Big DUH moment. How could I possibly get oxygen if I’m breathing in through my mouth? Looks like I’m going to have to retrain myself to breathe right, as I found that very difficult to do.

Not sure how I feel about having personally met this milestone. On the one hand it’s nice to have finally convinced someone that I needed help, but it is a tad depressing knowing that I need it. But life goes on. I now have a new learning opportunity and will go back and review everything written here re oxygen equipment, providers, etc. I know the info is here ‘cause I’ve seen it. It’s just that this severe case of CRS that I have forces me to constantly review. J

Bob Dopher 67 IPF 04/07

Guest guest

Hi Stefani, Please what are the breathing techniques you speak of. Since i do not have insurance I have to use my treadmill at home and I always see you post about breathing techniques. The doctors said anything that works is fine. What is lip sink breathing?I have tried your exhale stepping up but then end up out of sync.

sharon asthma ph 2008

Subject: Re: MilestoneTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 5:59 PM

makes some very valid points. I would drink 8 ounces of water BEFORE starting exercise and have water available DURING exercise. Yes, the breathing technique makes a big difference too. That is what they attributed my marked improvement in distance on my final six minute walk test as opposed to my "incoming" 6 minute walk test.Stefani 61 year old UtahnILD 2/2006, NSIP (fibrotic) 10/2009, Diabetes II 2/2006, Sleep Apnea 4/2009> > > From: Bob Dopher <rdopher@... >> Subject: Milestone> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Date: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 12:27 PM> > > > > > > > > For the past 3-4 months I’ve noticed that my O2

sats have been dropping lower when I exercised or otherwise exerted myself, and found that I was having trouble negotiating inclines when I was at the get together in Chattanooga back in Oct. I had had two six min walks in the previous three months, one of which showed that I didn’t drop below 90 percent and the other I failed because of my pulse rate going sky high. After explaining all this to my new Pulmo here in Melbourne, he scheduled another 6 min walk. The results were as I expected, dropping to 84 percent before being stopped and put on oxygen, and it looks as though I will now be on O2 for exertion. > > At one point the 6 min walk generated a little personal amusement. After I was hooked up to oxygen, I took off and started walking as I normally do. Glancing at the oximeter, I saw that the sats were dropping like a rock again. I’m going “Oh No! O2 isn’t helping!†At about this point the young lady who

was administering the test tells me to breathe in deeply through my nose and out slowly through my mouth. Big DUH moment. How could I possibly get oxygen if I’m breathing in through my mouth? Looks like I’m going to have to retrain myself to breathe right, as I found that very difficult to do. > > Not sure how I feel about having personally met this milestone. On the one hand it’s nice to have finally convinced someone that I needed help, but it is a tad depressing knowing that I need it. But life goes on. I now have a new learning opportunity and will go back and review everything written here re oxygen equipment, providers, etc. I know the info is here ‘cause I’ve seen it. It’s just that this severe case of CRS that I have forces me to constantly review. J> > Bob Dopher 67 IPF 04/07> > >

Guest guest

Sharon,

posted the term "lip sink breathing". I don't know what that is. Perhaps he is talking about "pursed lip breathing". Which is just inhale through the nose and exhale with your mouth through pursed lips. This pretty much always works to calm my breathing and bring my sats up if I'm low. This breathing technique is taught in pretty much every rehab and to those with pretty much any type of lung disease. It's useful for anyone.

The other thing anyone can practise is diaphragmatic breathing. The best way to get the hang of it is to lie on your back with your hands on your tummy. Inhale and try to keep your chest still and let your tummy rise with your inhalation. When you exhale let your tummy fall back down. By breathing this way you are using and exercising your diaphragm. Many people with lung disease tend to use muscles other than what we should when we breathe. It takes practise to learn to use these techniques but they can help tremendously.

Stefani will respond to you I'm sure. She's had some great posts about specific breathing techniques when exercising. I've been taught the same things but she is better at explaining it than I am. My understanding is that we should always try to exhale on the exertion. So for instance if I'm climbing stairs I try to inhale then exhale when I'm actually lifting my foot and climbing. Then inhale again, next step up, exhale.

Sharon, please also remember that you have an entirely different type of lung disease than anyone else on this board. You have asthma which is obstructive lung disease. The rest of us have different types of pulmonary fibrosis which is restrictive. While some of the breathing techniques that help us can help you too it is in your best interest to make sure that something applies to your own situation before adopting it for your own use.

Beth

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 13, 2009 9:54:35 PMSubject: Re: Re: Milestone

Hi Stefani, Please what are the breathing techniques you speak of. Since i do not have insurance I have to use my treadmill at home and I always see you post about breathing techniques. The doctors said anything that works is fine. What is lip sink breathing?I have tried your exhale stepping up but then end up out of sync.

sharon asthma ph 2008

From: Stefani <sfshaner (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Subject: Re: MilestoneTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 5:59 PM

makes some very valid points. I would drink 8 ounces of water BEFORE starting exercise and have water available DURING exercise. Yes, the breathing technique makes a big difference too. That is what they attributed my marked improvement in distance on my final six minute walk test as opposed to my "incoming" 6 minute walk test.Stefani 61 year old UtahnILD 2/2006, NSIP (fibrotic) 10/2009, Diabetes II 2/2006, Sleep Apnea 4/2009> > > From: Bob Dopher <rdopher@... >> Subject: Milestone> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Date: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 12:27 PM> > > > > > > > > For the past 3-4 months I’ve noticed that my O2 sats have been dropping lower when I exercised or otherwise exerted myself, and found that I was

having trouble negotiating inclines when I was at the get together in Chattanooga back in Oct. I had had two six min walks in the previous three months, one of which showed that I didn’t drop below 90 percent and the other I failed because of my pulse rate going sky high. After explaining all this to my new Pulmo here in Melbourne, he scheduled another 6 min walk. The results were as I expected, dropping to 84 percent before being stopped and put on oxygen, and it looks as though I will now be on O2 for exertion. > > At one point the 6 min walk generated a little personal amusement. After I was hooked up to oxygen, I took off and started walking as I normally do. Glancing at the oximeter, I saw that the sats were dropping like a rock again. I’m going “Oh No! O2 isn’t helping!†At about this point the young lady who was administering the test tells me to breathe in deeply through my nose and out slowly through my

mouth. Big DUH moment. How could I possibly get oxygen if I’m breathing in through my mouth? Looks like I’m going to have to retrain myself to breathe right, as I found that very difficult to do. > > Not sure how I feel about having personally met this milestone. On the one hand it’s nice to have finally convinced someone that I needed help, but it is a tad depressing knowing that I need it. But life goes on. I now have a new learning opportunity and will go back and review everything written here re oxygen equipment, providers, etc. I know the info is here ‘cause I’ve seen it. It’s just that this severe case of CRS that I have forces me to constantly review. J> > Bob Dopher 67 IPF 04/07> > >

Guest guest

Thanks Beth , Your always there when needed. Now another question. While at the hospital visiting my brother in law whose ALS is now progressing rapidly,. He is down to a ventilator, cannot move at all and has tubes everywhere . It was very sad and it started to make my breathing difficult . I had to leave the room and a nurse in the hallway told me to get using my inhaler so much that it can make my breathing worse. By being so upset I thought it would help. Do you know why she said that? I feel blessed that I am not him and I wish he would pass to end his suffering

Sharon asthma ph 2008

From: Stefani <sfshaner (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Subject: Re: MilestoneTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 5:59 PM

makes some very valid points. I would drink 8 ounces of water BEFORE starting exercise and have water available DURING exercise. Yes, the breathing technique makes a big difference too. That is what they attributed my marked improvement in distance on my final six minute walk test as opposed to my "incoming" 6 minute walk test.Stefani 61 year old UtahnILD 2/2006, NSIP (fibrotic) 10/2009, Diabetes II 2/2006, Sleep Apnea 4/2009> > > From: Bob Dopher <rdopher@... >> Subject: Milestone> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Date: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 12:27 PM> > > > > > > > > For the past 3-4 months I’ve noticed that my O2 sats have been dropping lower when I exercised or otherwise exerted myself, and found that I was

having trouble negotiating inclines when I was at the get together in Chattanooga back in Oct. I had had two six min walks in the previous three months, one of which showed that I didn’t drop below 90 percent and the other I failed because of my pulse rate going sky high. After explaining all this to my new Pulmo here in Melbourne, he scheduled another 6 min walk. The results were as I expected, dropping to 84 percent before being stopped and put on oxygen, and it looks as though I will now be on O2 for exertion. > > At one point the 6 min walk generated a little personal amusement. After I was hooked up to oxygen, I took off and started walking as I normally do. Glancing at the oximeter, I saw that the sats were dropping like a rock again. I’m going “Oh No! O2 isn’t helping!†At about this point the young lady who was administering the test tells me to breathe in deeply through my nose and out slowly through my

mouth. Big DUH moment. How could I possibly get oxygen if I’m breathing in through my mouth? Looks like I’m going to have to retrain myself to breathe right, as I found that very difficult to do. > > Not sure how I feel about having personally met this milestone. On the one hand it’s nice to have finally convinced someone that I needed help, but it is a tad depressing knowing that I need it. But life goes on. I now have a new learning opportunity and will go back and review everything written here re oxygen equipment, providers, etc. I know the info is here ‘cause I’ve seen it. It’s just that this severe case of CRS that I have forces me to constantly review. J> > Bob Dopher 67 IPF 04/07> > >