RemedySpot.com

Help!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Reading, writing most all language art, while he does well at math. I quess social he is always trying to see where he fits in. Speech I always thought his difficulty making friends was based on his expressive language skills.Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: What are his/her areas of difficulty? Liz On Oct 31, 2007, at 1:19 PM, tao3822 wrote: My 8 year old was just diagnosed with aspergers, I don't know what to do next?

Tamatha,First of all, you want to write a letter to the principal, requesting that your son be evaluated for special education services, due to weaknesses in academic and social areas. Be sure to have a speech and language evaluation, especially focusing on pragmatic speech (this is "social speech" -- how he communicates with others, a hugely common problem with people who have AS). Basically, your goal is to get him an IEP (Individualized Education Plan). Start a file, and keep a copy of your letter. Somebody else can tell you how many days the school system has to get your son evaluated (my son is older, and it may have changed since we first did this). Good luck. Don't be a stranger. We've all been where you are now.LizOn Nov 1, 2007, at 8:56 AM, tamatha obrien wrote:Reading, writing most all language art, while he does well at math. I quess social he is always trying to see where he fits in. Speech I always thought his difficulty making friends was based on his expressive language skills.Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote:What are his/her areas of difficulty?LizOn Oct 31, 2007, at 1:19 PM, tao3822 wrote:My 8 year old was just diagnosed with aspergers, I don't know what to do next? 

Does he have an IEP at school yet?

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) help!

Reading, writing most all language art, while he does well at math. I quess social he is always trying to see where he fits in. Speech I always thought his difficulty making friends was based on his expressive language skills.Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote:

What are his/her areas of difficulty?

Liz

On Oct 31, 2007, at 1:19 PM, tao3822 wrote:

My 8 year old was just diagnosed with aspergers, I don't know what to do next?

Does he have an IEP at school yet?

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) help!

Reading, writing most all language art, while he does well at math. I quess social he is always trying to see where he fits in. Speech I always thought his difficulty making friends was based on his expressive language skills.Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote:

What are his/her areas of difficulty?

Liz

On Oct 31, 2007, at 1:19 PM, tao3822 wrote:

My 8 year old was just diagnosed with aspergers, I don't know what to do next?

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

{{{{}}}} Welcome to our group! I'm sure you'll find it to be very supportive and a great source of info. I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I'm certain that you are doing everything you can for your son. It sounds like you are very knowledgeable and that you do know your son very well. I can relate to you the frustration of trying to find providers, be they medical, therapy or couseling, who are knowledgeable in the area. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by sharing the info you have with them. They should be receptive to taking the info from you. Keep the pressure on the school. They should be able to provide your son with more services. He'll have to be seen by the child study team <or whatever they call it in your area> to assess him for his needs. It really sounds like you are overwhelmed. Make sure

that you take some time for yourself. Get rest. Eat. Distract yourself with something you enjoy. It will refresh you and make it easier for you to cope otherwise. Also, go ahead and cry. I find it a great stress reliever. Hang in there. Keep posting! Mims <stacy_pendley@...> wrote: Hello everyone! I joined this group awhile back and did not have muchtime at that point to post much. However, I am taking the time now toactually be able

to write this message. I am hoping some of you cangive me some insight. I have a six year old boy who was born threemonths premature. We have been through the whole OccupationalTherapy/Physical Therapy/Developmental Therapy type of thing when hewas younger, but he was discharged eventually. He is just nearing theend of his first year of kindergarden and a lot of the teachers havenoticed certain issues with him, he goes to another teachers room for30-45 minutes daily with a few of the other children to a Title Oneclass, is what it is called. They also offer special ed but this isdifferent than that, and he is not in special ed at this point. Thisis just for a little extra help. Anyway, the teachers all notice thathe has certain issues with touching certain things, and he wont lookanyone in the eye. He gets extremely nervous around crowds of peopleand has tantrums occasionally because of it. He is a VERY

finickyeater and hardly anything seems to meet his expectations. Ex. Mashedpotatoes are too lumpy, meat might have the occasional grissle in it,something is to messy, to dry, too hard to chew, too hard to swallow,exc. He cannot stand certain things touching him, haircuts used to bepure misery but they are improving mildly. Showers are anotherhorrible time for him, it just seems like no matter how much I turn onmore hot or more cold water, the temperature is just never right forhim. He seems to have processing issues also and it takes him awhileto "get" what is going on and actually do it. We have thought aboutAuditory processing disorder too, but he isn't like that all of thetime. I know in the past the OT had mentioned that he had somesensory integration disorder issues, and we done the whole trial offof milk and that sort of thing, but it just seemed like no matter whatwe did nothing made it any better. He has some

pretty significant GIissues and cannot drink much, if any, milk anyway because it causeshim extreme constipation. Whether he drinks milk or not, he has totake miralex every day, by the doctors order, or he cannot poop atall. I just wish there was something I could do to help him, nooneunderstands him like I do and they tend to think he is a brat or justbeing defiant. I demanded an ISP at school and they are in the worksof doing that now. However, we live in an extremely small town andeven though these therapists have had training and such, sometimes itseems like I know more than them, because some of the sensory thingsand stuff like that I have mentioned, seems to shock them, as if theyaren't all that familiar with it. My son was recently labeled withhaving ADHD and the doctor put him on Strattera, however that hasn'tseemed to make much of a difference. I just want him to be able tolive and enjoy a normal life, and he

is happy some of the time, butwhen he gets upset he is very very moody and hard to handle. He hasmentioned wanting to play sports with his friends, but the one time Idid enroll him in Tball, he just stands back and wont go after theball or anything, kinda appears to be spacing out or something andthen he gets really upset in just a matter of time. Please advise meon anything you can, I am a single mom trying to do the best I can forhim, he just wears me out so bad sometimes that I can barely go.. Forexample, my back hurts really bad a lot of the time due to a car wreckI was in, and last night it was time for a shower, and he was in therewallowing around and having a fit when the water touched him, and soon and so forth, and I love my child with all my heart, (I have andwould do absolutely anything in the world that I could for him, thingshave been a struggle with his prematurity from the start, but doctorsalready said

that he is doing awesome because I go over and beyondwith my care for him and keeping him away from smoking, severesickness, exc) but I feel as if I am absolutely worn out and by thetime I was finished with him, my back hurt so bad that I just wantedto sit down and cry. Thanks for listening, I know each of youprobably know what I am going through and that my situation is noworse or different from anyone elses, but you know how it is, when itis your own life and you are the one dealing with it, it is reallyhard sometimes. Oh, and also, I would like to share (for anyone whois familiar with the situation), my little boy is showing up to have afew tics also. His father and grandfather (whom he no longer sees dueto their violent issues) have tourettes, I am aware that it usuallyskips a generation, but it didn't in their situation. Anyway, thedoctor said that my son definitely has tics but he is too young tolabel with

tourettes yet, he also has some obsessive compulsivetendencies, but doc said too young to label with that either, he hasto have everything in perfect order on his desk and in his room and ifanyone messes it up he gets extremely upset. I will have to say thatthe stratterra has helped him from not jumping off the back of thecouch and running non stop the whole time he is doing anything..Thanks again and I wish each of you the best,

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

Hi , I hope your back feels better soon. Are you getting help for your back? Maybe a chiropractor or P/T?. Is there any way you can apply to get some respite help? Maybe if someone where with him during T-ball practice to support him while playing a game by being right next to him and running with him to encourage him to continue playing the game would be helpful. Just until he gets comfortable enough to play without that one on one help. from what you described with your sons sensory issues, seems like he still needs to continue all those services. Why did they discontinue them?. Now that he's older and in school, you can request in writing that he needs to be re-evaluated again for all those services he was getting. WOW - to have back pain and doing everything you are doing for your son is double exhausting for you !. At your autism support group, would someone

there be able to help you get respite help for your son? or help you advocate for services to begin again. You are doing an awsome job !!!! I hope you feel better Hugs Rose <stacy_pendley@...> wrote: Hello everyone! I joined this group awhile back and did not have muchtime at that point to post much. However, I am taking the time now toactually be able to write this message. I am hoping some of you cangive me some insight. I have a six year old boy who was

born threemonths premature. We have been through the whole OccupationalTherapy/Physical Therapy/Developmental Therapy type of thing when hewas younger, but he was discharged eventually. He is just nearing theend of his first year of kindergarden and a lot of the teachers havenoticed certain issues with him, he goes to another teachers room for30-45 minutes daily with a few of the other children to a Title Oneclass, is what it is called. They also offer special ed but this isdifferent than that, and he is not in special ed at this point. Thisis just for a little extra help. Anyway, the teachers all notice thathe has certain issues with touching certain things, and he wont lookanyone in the eye. He gets extremely nervous around crowds of peopleand has tantrums occasionally because of it. He is a VERY finickyeater and hardly anything seems to meet his expectations. Ex. Mashedpotatoes are too lumpy, meat might have

the occasional grissle in it,something is to messy, to dry, too hard to chew, too hard to swallow,exc. He cannot stand certain things touching him, haircuts used to bepure misery but they are improving mildly. Showers are anotherhorrible time for him, it just seems like no matter how much I turn onmore hot or more cold water, the temperature is just never right forhim. He seems to have processing issues also and it takes him awhileto "get" what is going on and actually do it. We have thought aboutAuditory processing disorder too, but he isn't like that all of thetime. I know in the past the OT had mentioned that he had somesensory integration disorder issues, and we done the whole trial offof milk and that sort of thing, but it just seemed like no matter whatwe did nothing made it any better. He has some pretty significant GIissues and cannot drink much, if any, milk anyway because it causeshim extreme constipation.

Whether he drinks milk or not, he has totake miralex every day, by the doctors order, or he cannot poop atall. I just wish there was something I could do to help him, nooneunderstands him like I do and they tend to think he is a brat or justbeing defiant. I demanded an ISP at school and they are in the worksof doing that now. However, we live in an extremely small town andeven though these therapists have had training and such, sometimes itseems like I know more than them, because some of the sensory thingsand stuff like that I have mentioned, seems to shock them, as if theyaren't all that familiar with it. My son was recently labeled withhaving ADHD and the doctor put him on Strattera, however that hasn'tseemed to make much of a difference. I just want him to be able tolive and enjoy a normal life, and he is happy some of the time, butwhen he gets upset he is very very moody and hard to handle. He hasmentioned

wanting to play sports with his friends, but the one time Idid enroll him in Tball, he just stands back and wont go after theball or anything, kinda appears to be spacing out or something andthen he gets really upset in just a matter of time. Please advise meon anything you can, I am a single mom trying to do the best I can forhim, he just wears me out so bad sometimes that I can barely go.. Forexample, my back hurts really bad a lot of the time due to a car wreckI was in, and last night it was time for a shower, and he was in therewallowing around and having a fit when the water touched him, and soon and so forth, and I love my child with all my heart, (I have andwould do absolutely anything in the world that I could for him, thingshave been a struggle with his prematurity from the start, but doctorsalready said that he is doing awesome because I go over and beyondwith my care for him and keeping him away from smoking,

severesickness, exc) but I feel as if I am absolutely worn out and by thetime I was finished with him, my back hurt so bad that I just wantedto sit down and cry. Thanks for listening, I know each of youprobably know what I am going through and that my situation is noworse or different from anyone elses, but you know how it is, when itis your own life and you are the one dealing with it, it is reallyhard sometimes. Oh, and also, I would like to share (for anyone whois familiar with the situation), my little boy is showing up to have afew tics also. His father and grandfather (whom he no longer sees dueto their violent issues) have tourettes, I am aware that it usuallyskips a generation, but it didn't in their situation. Anyway, thedoctor said that my son definitely has tics but he is too young tolabel with tourettes yet, he also has some obsessive compulsivetendencies, but doc said too young to label with that either,

he hasto have everything in perfect order on his desk and in his room and ifanyone messes it up he gets extremely upset. I will have to say thatthe stratterra has helped him from not jumping off the back of thecouch and running non stop the whole time he is doing anything..Thanks again and I wish each of you the best,

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

UGH.. I'm new to all this too.. well not dealing with my child... but

knowing a direction.. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.. AND

going it alone.. I know how that is.. I'm married.. and have 3 other

kids.. BUT.. (and that BUT is a whole other story lol)

Ironically enough though.. people who should be your support are

usually your biggest critics.. ` EX: my best friend and mother to my

niece..bought a pass for a nice hotel, pool, 180 ft water slide ,

double room, free pool passes, pizza 2 liter etc, enough for 5 people.

She has a daughter who is an only child and was diagnosed with ADHD,

this may be the case, but the more I read about AS the more I see " D " .

AT any rate, she invited my daughter who does alot of things with her

and " D " and as a second thought asked my son, who's 9, to come with

also.. on the condition that I came to help out with him. She said it

made her sad that he never gets to do anything and since it was for

5.. why should only the girls have fun?

So I agreed and the whole experience was alot of fun sometimes but as

usual when we try do do things together alot of drama... in the pool

area.. his sister and cousin refused to acknowledge him.. telling

people they didn't know him.. He then tried to make friends with other

kids.. only to get disgusted looks from some snobbish parents... whos

kids were less than than enthusiastic with my sons game ideas etc.

He really doesn't have a hard time finding friends.. just keeping them

for more than 30 minutes :( he got into a shoving match with his

cousin over who was in control over the elevator,. or rather who would

get on and off first, he didn't want the light on.. he was yelled at

by his cousin for having the tv too loud, he found out that his sister

and cousin were going to ride the carousal and he had to go home with

me instead of shopping with them. The free breakfast wasn't free so we

had to go back up to our room for money and he had to wait for

breakfast etc...

anyways later that night at bed time.. they wanted pay per view.. my

son and daughter wanted 1 movie and " D " the other... I might want to

add that shes a bit.. umm spoiled as well as her disorder AND her

mother is kind of blind to her faults while over criticizing others..

I however treat them all the same.. well sometimes i give my niece

more of a break than my own.. because they are mine and KNOW my rules

etc.. She really is a good kid though.. and knowing what i deal with

with MINE.. i would be the last to blame her issues solely on bad

behavior. She has alot to deal with.. doesn't have any friends except

my daughter who finds this relationship extremely taxing at school..

and i think she resents my son for messing with hers and my daughters

childhood fun by being born.. lol

but that night, trying to keep peace my daughter decided to side with

" D " and he didn't get to watch his movie.. we said we could watch it

the next day, we woke too late and didn't have time before check out

and to say he was disappointed would be an understatement.

Unfortunately... no one seems to understand.. its not a matter of he

wants it and not getting it.. me telling him YES and then going back

on it.. its more like him believing the sun is yellow this whole

time.. and then someone tells him its blue and proves it. It simply

doesn't compute. I said we could watch it.. WHY ARE WE NOT WATCHING IT?

When I finally got him to understand with JUST the facts.. he was ,,

well MAD.. his life was over. he knew he would NEVER be able to watch

it.. and i recieved a whole list of all the things that had gone wrong

in his long life :) and besides his older brother got to go to the

coffee shop and could play guitar because mom gave him talent when he

was born and she refused to give it to him... so he would never be

able to play guitar and mom did it on purpose etc.. i mean he can talk

at you and complain for hours..

NOT the problem.. the problem was my best friend egging him on when

she CLAIMED she was just trying to help and make him feel better..

when deep down on some level she was trying to control him, make him

see reason and basically reason with him...because SHE " S an adult and

by golly he should LISTEN to HER!!! what she didn't understand is that

we were past the point of him understanding.. the best option at this

point is.. Ok buddy you can feel what you feel.. and we can talk

later... and then move on.. get his interest into something else..and

come back to it another time when his world is not ending.. responding

to his complaints only keeps it all going with no resolution and many

hurt feelings.. usually on the adults receiving end. Because he

doesn't hear a word your saying.. and you can talk simultaneously..

a collection of several things going wrong and sudden changes in

several plans added up to this..He hadn't lost it over the movie.. he

lost it when the lady at the front desk told him he couldn't trade his

money for tokens... because she was out. Then he went off about the

movie etc..

See the problem with being a mom of an aspie is everyone thinking they

can parent your child BETTER than you.. I can't tell you how many

times i've heard people say.. get that kid ridlin... lock him in a

padded room.. in my day a good ass paddling would have taken care of THAT!

and so if you would drug your child, lock him up, and beat him once in

a while.. he wouldn't HAVE a disorder.. UGH!!.. hang in there.. stop

letting other people judge you..NO MATTER WHAT.. you are the best one

to raise your child...

when i had my first baby.. i was worried and said to my grandma..

" what if i screw up with him?. " and she said... " inexperience aside

hon, only YOU the mom knows whats best for that baby, you'll know what

he wants and when he wants it because you will FEEL it "

GOOD LUCK!!

> Hello everyone! I joined this group awhile back and did

not have much

> time at that point to post much. However, I am taking the time now to

> actually be able to write this message. I am hoping some of you can

> give me some insight. I have a six year old boy who was born three

> months premature. We have been through the whole Occupational

> Therapy/Physical Therapy/Developmental Therapy type of thing when he

> was younger, but he was discharged eventually. He is just nearing the

> end of his first year of kindergarden and a lot of the teachers have

> noticed certain issues with him, he goes to another teachers room for

> 30-45 minutes daily with a few of the other children to a Title One

> class, is what it is called. They also offer special ed but this is

> different than that, and he is not in special ed at this point. This

> is just for a little extra help. Anyway, the teachers all notice that

> he has certain issues with touching certain things, and he wont look

> anyone in the eye. He gets extremely nervous around crowds of people

> and has tantrums occasionally because of it. He is a VERY finicky

> eater and hardly anything seems to meet his expectations. Ex. Mashed

> potatoes are too lumpy, meat might have the occasional grissle in it,

> something is to messy, to dry, too hard to chew, too hard to swallow,

> exc. He cannot stand certain things touching him, haircuts used to be

> pure misery but they are improving mildly. Showers are another

> horrible time for him, it just seems like no matter how much I turn on

> more hot or more cold water, the temperature is just never right for

> him. He seems to have processing issues also and it takes him awhile

> to " get " what is going on and actually do it. We have thought about

> Auditory processing disorder too, but he isn't like that all of the

> time. I know in the past the OT had mentioned that he had some

> sensory integration disorder issues, and we done the whole trial off

> of milk and that sort of thing, but it just seemed like no matter what

> we did nothing made it any better. He has some pretty significant GI

> issues and cannot drink much, if any, milk anyway because it causes

> him extreme constipation. Whether he drinks milk or not, he has to

> take miralex every day, by the doctors order, or he cannot poop at

> all. I just wish there was something I could do to help him, noone

> understands him like I do and they tend to think he is a brat or just

> being defiant. I demanded an ISP at school and they are in the works

> of doing that now. However, we live in an extremely small town and

> even though these therapists have had training and such, sometimes it

> seems like I know more than them, because some of the sensory things

> and stuff like that I have mentioned, seems to shock them, as if they

> aren't all that familiar with it. My son was recently labeled with

> having ADHD and the doctor put him on Strattera, however that hasn't

> seemed to make much of a difference. I just want him to be able to

> live and enjoy a normal life, and he is happy some of the time, but

> when he gets upset he is very very moody and hard to handle. He has

> mentioned wanting to play sports with his friends, but the one time I

> did enroll him in Tball, he just stands back and wont go after the

> ball or anything, kinda appears to be spacing out or something and

> then he gets really upset in just a matter of time. Please advise me

> on anything you can, I am a single mom trying to do the best I can for

> him, he just wears me out so bad sometimes that I can barely go.. For

> example, my back hurts really bad a lot of the time due to a car wreck

> I was in, and last night it was time for a shower, and he was in there

> wallowing around and having a fit when the water touched him, and so

> on and so forth, and I love my child with all my heart, (I have and

> would do absolutely anything in the world that I could for him, things

> have been a struggle with his prematurity from the start, but doctors

> already said that he is doing awesome because I go over and beyond

> with my care for him and keeping him away from smoking, severe

> sickness, exc) but I feel as if I am absolutely worn out and by the

> time I was finished with him, my back hurt so bad that I just wanted

> to sit down and cry. Thanks for listening, I know each of you

> probably know what I am going through and that my situation is no

> worse or different from anyone elses, but you know how it is, when it

> is your own life and you are the one dealing with it, it is really

> hard sometimes. Oh, and also, I would like to share (for anyone who

> is familiar with the situation), my little boy is showing up to have a

> few tics also. His father and grandfather (whom he no longer sees due

> to their violent issues) have tourettes, I am aware that it usually

> skips a generation, but it didn't in their situation. Anyway, the

> doctor said that my son definitely has tics but he is too young to

> label with tourettes yet, he also has some obsessive compulsive

> tendencies, but doc said too young to label with that either, he has

> to have everything in perfect order on his desk and in his room and if

> anyone messes it up he gets extremely upset. I will have to say that

> the stratterra has helped him from not jumping off the back of the

> couch and running non stop the whole time he is doing anything..

>

> Thanks again and I wish each of you the best,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of

Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

>

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Lynn

It is normal to be worried, etc.

You will need more than Tylenol for the first few weeks. Don't worry about

the pain med's just take them when you need them and at least 30 min. before

PT. The pain med's help you to heal, help you to move around without pain

and to sleep better.

Most of us have less pain after the surgery but that's not the next day! You

will have the pain for the surgery - remember this is a big deal and it

hurts. But in 4 to 6 weeks as my Dr's told me you will have about the same

level as prior maybe better. Most of the folk I've talk with, say it is a

whole lot better at 4 to 6 weeks afterward.

Yep, they have you mark the spot that will be " repaired " . This is so

everyone knows the correct spot or the old saying " the other right side " .

It is just to be sure that everyone knows where the X for the treasure is.

Me I drew a happy face on both knees but an X is fine.

Yes, you need to speak up, ask questions, tell them how you feel, or if you

want/need something. If you don't tell them, they might not ask you. My

nurses were always asking on a scale of 1 to 10 how are you doing? Because

of my upset stomach from the med's, etc. the nurses would also make sure I

had a snack of pudding, ice cream, crackers with my pills. Esp. the night

nurse would not remember so you betcha I asked.

You will be fine, it wil be over soon and please report back to us.

Gloria

Guest guest

I wrote Lynn off list, but to those of you are about to undergo TKR,

yes the literature the hospital or doctor gives you can make you

nervous. We all get nervous when we face something new especially

surgery. As a nurse I was also nervous as I faced my TKR on 6/17, but

I was surprised at how little pain I had in my knee. I did have pain

in quad but nothing like I had expected.

Take the pain meds your surgeon offers, you will know when you need

to step down to something less strong. I was on Dilaudid IV for one

day then on the second day was able to go to Darvocet by mouth. I

went home on the 2nd day post op with the Darvocet, and in about a

week or so I was on just Tylenol. I did take the Darvocet before PT

sessions in the beginning.

Lynn and everyone else pre-op just keeep a positive attitude. You

will be surprised at the results

We are all different and have different pain levels your body will

let you now when it is time to go a less strong med. If you need it

take it.

Lucinda

Guest guest

Oh, Lynn, I SO hear you. I was so busy getting equipment in place, going to

classes, getting pre-op tests, etc, that it was not until the night before that

I actually realized what was going to be done to me with my THR.  I almost

panicked when it all really hit me. Then I sat up in bed, the arthritis kicked

in, and sanity returned.

As to the drugs, let your medical team do their job. Take what they give you -

it's their expertise, not ours. Some people are concerned about addiction

because it is serious surgery and serious drugs are required to still the pain,

let you sleep, help you to move, etc. At home, I still needed medication. When

the pain began to abate, I began to " feel " the RX, and, for me, it was time to

switch to the OTC. At 26 days after surgery, I don't need any pain meds except 

when the unoperated leg pain begins. I do take it 45-30 mins before PT. I think,

by paying attention to our bodies and following doctor's ordes, addiction is no

danger.

The discomfort for me after surgery barely registered compared with the

fierceness of  the prior pain. It was surgical pain, it was different, and it

was somehow less for me. Now, depending on the day's exercises, I sometimes have

muscle aches, but they feel good - they're proof to me that I'm recovering, if

that makes sense.

Now, I'm without a cane at home most of the time, I'm driving, I can sit, I can

walk, I can stand, I feel my life, my real life, coming back to me. It's SO

worth it.

FWIW, deep breathing exercises helped calm me a lot when I got nervy. I breathe

in deeply hold for a count of 5, then breathe out for a count of five.

I wish you well, and will look for you to report back afterwards, ok?

Hugs,

a

Subject: Help!

Joint Replacement

Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 11:13 AM

Good Luck next Monday Margaret!

Someone say something soothing to me. I've just been reading the

brochures the hospital gave me to read and though the hospital sounds

wonderful I am getting so nervous I have diarhea!

Their brochures say to speak up. Ask everyone, including your

surgeon, if they have washed their hands. Ask them if they know who

you are and what is being done. They are to mark the place being

operated on while you are still awake so you and they know the right

area. Etc ETc and so forth. I'm impressed with that but it's only two

days away and I am suddenly scared.

Did most of you have less pain after surgery than you had before? I'm

thinking maybe I don't want any pain medication but Tylenol.

Lynn

>

> My hip surgery (LTHR) will be this coming Monday 4th Aug., at

Poriyya

> Hospital, Tiberias, Galilee.

>

> My post-surgery hiking ambitions don't rise to the Alps or

Appalachians -

> simply looking forward to hiking my local Galilee Hills with my

dogs!

>

> Luckily for me, my hip hasn't been too painful recently, so I have

been able

> to keep up daily short walks in the forest and hill trails right up

to now.

> But am looking forward to longer hikes with my new hip!

>

>

>

> I find Nordic walking poles very helpful - they are very light-

weight

> titanium, not meant to be weight-bearing like crutches; but I find

them very

> useful to help me keep balance, stability and symmetry in my

walking,

> especially on uneven and hilly ground.

>

>

>

> Wishing successful operations and good healing to all of you

undergoing

> surgeries about this time - and good hiking afterwards!

>

> Margaret

>

>

>

> From: Total_Joint_ Replacement

> [mailto:Total_Joint_ Replacement] On Behalf Of Tammy

Klaus

> Sent: 29 July 2008 02:24

> Total_Joint_ Replacement

> Subject: Re: [Total_Joint_ Replacement] Re: Off topic Appalachian

Trail

>

>

>

> Lynn, like I said, I was doing LIGHT hiking, so yeah, I think I

could. In a

> little while. :) And yes, you will feel that good too!

>

> Tammy Klaus

> tammy.kl@... <mailto:tammy. kl%40verizon. net>

>

>

Guest guest

Thank you.

What did you guys bring to the hospital with you? Or leave in the

car for the days after the hospital in rehab?

26 days to doing so many things, walking, no cane, sounds wonderful.

I'm trying to deep breathe, meditate, I don't want to panic myself.

Lynn

>

> >

>

> > My hip surgery (LTHR) will be this coming Monday 4th Aug., at

>

> Poriyya

>

> > Hospital, Tiberias, Galilee.

>

> >

>

> > My post-surgery hiking ambitions don't rise to the Alps or

>

> Appalachians -

>

> > simply looking forward to hiking my local Galilee Hills with my

>

> dogs!

>

> >

>

> > Luckily for me, my hip hasn't been too painful recently, so I

have

>

> been able

>

> > to keep up daily short walks in the forest and hill trails right

up

>

> to now.

>

> > But am looking forward to longer hikes with my new hip!

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I find Nordic walking poles very helpful - they are very light-

>

> weight

>

> > titanium, not meant to be weight-bearing like crutches; but I

find

>

> them very

>

> > useful to help me keep balance, stability and symmetry in my

>

> walking,

>

> > especially on uneven and hilly ground.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Wishing successful operations and good healing to all of you

>

> undergoing

>

> > surgeries about this time - and good hiking afterwards!

>

> >

>

> > Margaret

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > From: Total_Joint_ Replacement

>

> > [mailto:Total_Joint_ Replacement] On Behalf Of

Tammy

>

> Klaus

>

> > Sent: 29 July 2008 02:24

>

> > Total_Joint_ Replacement

>

> > Subject: Re: [Total_Joint_ Replacement] Re: Off topic Appalachian

>

> Trail

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Lynn, like I said, I was doing LIGHT hiking, so yeah, I think I

>

> could. In a

>

> > little while. :) And yes, you will feel that good too!

>

> >

>

> > Tammy Klaus

>

> > tammy.kl@ <mailto:tammy. kl%40verizon. net>

>

> >

>

> >

Guest guest

On 7/29/2008 1:32:22 PM, Lynn Badler (coalvilleut@...) wrote:

> Thank you.

> What did you guys bring to the hospital with you? Or leave in the

>

Your hospital should tell you what they would like you to bring (or not

bring). Light reading or puzzles as you will be using the pain meds. Slip

on shoes, slippers, exercise clothes, hair brush, toothbrush and paste, fav.

lotion but no perfumes or other scents. My hospital encouraged a short night

gown and robe as this will help the mood and feeling less like a " patient " .

Clothes for the trip home. I wore baggy pants to the hospital with a t-shirt

knowing they would work for the trip home. The shorts for exercise would

have worked also, I'm just not a shorts type of person and our weather is a

little cool anytime of the year.

If you attened the pre-op class they should cover all these and more.

Gloria

Guest guest

Lynn, you are going to be fine!! Calm down, girl! Save your strength. Call

close friends to help boost you, if you need to. You'll be fine. Heck, if *I*

can get through hip surgery, ANYBODY can!!

If you have questions, ASK! Don't be shy about it. This is your body we're

talkin' 'bout here.

You'll have pain, I won't lie to you. But, in time, that will dissipate. When

it comes to the pain, don't be afraid to ask for pain medication. YOU CAN NOT

DO PHYSICAL THERAPY PROPERLY IN YOU ARE IN PAIN!!!! Don't worry about OD'ing;

the staff won't let you. But you should be given enough to control the pain so

you can work on getting your muscles and everything working again. AND, you

have to sleep at night. Again, you can't do PT properly if you're fatigued.

Margaret, and everyone else with an upcoming joint surgery, this stuff applies

to you, too.

Tammy Klaus

tammy.kl@...

Guest guest

I AM A PHYSICAL THERAPIST WITH 29 YEARS OF PRACTICE IN ORTHO. MAYBE I COULD

ANSWER SOME SPECIFIC QUESTIONS FOR YOU ALL. YES I AM FROM THE SOUTH! DON'T HOLD

IT AGAINST ME. MAYBE I COULD BE OF HELP TO SOME OF YOU. LET ME KNOW.

Subject: Re: Help!

Joint Replacement

Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:11 PM

Lynn, you are going to be fine!! Calm down, girl! Save your

strength. Call close friends to help boost you, if you need to. You'll be

fine. Heck, if *I* can get through hip surgery, ANYBODY can!!

talkin' 'bout here.

You'll have pain, I won't lie to you. But, in time, that will dissipate. When

it comes to the pain, don't be afraid to ask for pain medication. YOU CAN NOT

DO PHYSICAL THERAPY PROPERLY IN YOU ARE IN PAIN!!!! Don't worry about OD'ing;

the staff won't let you. But you should be given enough to control the pain so

you can work on getting your muscles and everything working again. AND, you

have to sleep at night. Again, you can't do PT properly if you're fatigued.

to you, too.

Tammy Klaus

tammy.klverizon (DOT) net

Guest guest

Lost track of who/what/when.

I am going for RTHR on Monday. Who else is going to the Hospital on the same

day?

Maybe we can compare notes as we recover.

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Christa Pritchett <

christa.pritchett@...> wrote:

> I AM A PHYSICAL THERAPIST WITH 29 YEARS OF PRACTICE IN ORTHO. MAYBE I

> COULD ANSWER SOME SPECIFIC QUESTIONS FOR YOU ALL. YES I AM FROM THE SOUTH!

> DON'T HOLD IT AGAINST ME. MAYBE I COULD BE OF HELP TO SOME OF YOU. LET ME

> KNOW.

>

>

> From: Tammy Klaus <tammy.kl@... <tammy.kl%40verizon.net>>

> Subject: Re: Help!

> To:

Joint Replacement <Joint Replacement%40groups.co\

m>

> Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:11 PM

>

> Lynn, you are going to be fine!! Calm down, girl! Save your strength. Call

> close friends to help boost you, if you need to. You'll be fine. Heck, if

> *I* can get through hip surgery, ANYBODY can!!

>

> If you have questions, ASK! Don't be shy about it. This is your body we're

> talkin' 'bout here.

>

> You'll have pain, I won't lie to you. But, in time, that will dissipate.

> When it comes to the pain, don't be afraid to ask for pain medication. YOU

> CAN NOT DO PHYSICAL THERAPY PROPERLY IN YOU ARE IN PAIN!!!! Don't worry

> about OD'ing; the staff won't let you. But you should be given enough to

> control the pain so you can work on getting your muscles and everything

> working again. AND, you have to sleep at night. Again, you can't do PT

> properly if you're fatigued.

>

> Margaret, and everyone else with an upcoming joint surgery, this stuff

> applies to you, too.

>

> Tammy Klaus

>

> tammy.klverizon (DOT) net

>

>

Guest guest

Hi, Christa,

I am 3 1/2 mos post TRH surgery.  Prior to surgery I had quite a severe limp

from bone on bone hip with no movement.  I  - ldid not have significant pain.  I

was going for PT for several mos prior to surgery so my muscles had been

strengthened. Post surgery I did very well - walking was normal after about 6

wks. I did continue with PT.  For about 2 wks I have had slight pain with a

stressed feeling in my upper thigh extending around to the right side hip area. 

This only happens when I walk.  I've reduced the excersises for a while upon

advice of PT who said there was inflammation.  I've iced the area and I've

continued the bike which does not cause the pain. Walking is still uncomfortable

and there does not seem to be any improvement.  Any experience with this?

Subject: Re: [Total_Joint_ Replacement] Help!

Total_Joint_ Replacement

Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:11 PM

Lynn, you are going to be fine!! Calm down, girl! Save your strength. Call close

friends to help boost you, if you need to. You'll be fine. Heck, if *I* can get

through hip surgery, ANYBODY can!!

talkin' 'bout here.

You'll have pain, I won't lie to you. But, in time, that will dissipate. When it

comes to the pain, don't be afraid to ask for pain medication. YOU CAN NOT DO

PHYSICAL THERAPY PROPERLY IN YOU ARE IN PAIN!!!! Don't worry about OD'ing; the

staff won't let you. But you should be given enough to control the pain so you

can work on getting your muscles and everything working again. AND, you have to

sleep at night. Again, you can't do PT properly if you're fatigued.

to you, too.

Tammy Klaus

tammy.klverizon (DOT) net

Guest guest

I am going in for a LTHR on August 12.......8 days after you.

> From: Tammy Klaus <tammy.klverizon (DOT) net <tammy.kl%40verizon .net>>

> Subject: Re: [Total_Joint_ Replacement] Help!

> Total_Joint_ Replacement<Total_Joint_ Replacement%

40groups. com>

> Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:11 PM

>

> Lynn, you are going to be fine!! Calm down, girl! Save your strength. Call

> close friends to help boost you, if you need to. You'll be fine. Heck, if

> *I* can get through hip surgery, ANYBODY can!!

>

> If you have questions, ASK! Don't be shy about it. This is your body we're

> talkin' 'bout here.

>

> You'll have pain, I won't lie to you. But, in time, that will dissipate.

> When it comes to the pain, don't be afraid to ask for pain medication. YOU

> CAN NOT DO PHYSICAL THERAPY PROPERLY IN YOU ARE IN PAIN!!!! Don't worry

> about OD'ing; the staff won't let you. But you should be given enough to

> control the pain so you can work on getting your muscles and everything

> working again. AND, you have to sleep at night. Again, you can't do PT

> properly if you're fatigued.

>

> Margaret, and everyone else with an upcoming joint surgery, this stuff

> applies to you, too.

>

> Tammy Klaus

>

> tammy.klverizon (DOT) net

>

>

• 1 month later...

See if you can find a clinical study in your area doing this .

spinal problems

Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 3:16 PM

I'm new to this group and I am here because I need your help and

experience.  I had a terrible fall in June 2007.  After months of misdiagnoses,

steroids, muscle relaxers, pain killers, anti-inflamatories, facet injections,

lumbar injections, and finally a discography my doctors have decided I need disc

replacement surgery.  The problem is my " wonderful " insurance, Blue Cross/Blue

Shield, will not cover replacement surgery but will cover spinal fusion.

What are you thoughts and experiences with disc replacement vs spinal fusion? 

Please don't hold back...I want to know everything. 

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Jill

Hey , thanks for your response. I've done research and the short term

success rate for disc replacement is about 15% higher than spinal fusion. The

studies I have found include a 20% decrease in pain as success. I would like to

hear how these surgeries have worked for real people and any side effects

they've had. 

spinedisorderssuppo rtgroup@gro ups.com

Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 3:16 PM

I'm new to this group and I am here because I need your help and experience.  I

had a terrible fall in June 2007.  After months of misdiagnoses, steroids,

muscle relaxers, pain killers, anti-inflamatories, facet injections, lumbar

injections, and finally a discography my doctors have decided I need disc

replacement surgery.  The problem is my " wonderful " insurance, Blue Cross/Blue

Shield, will not cover replacement surgery but will cover spinal fusion.

What are you thoughts and experiences with disc replacement vs spinal fusion? 

Please don't hold back...I want to know everything. 

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Jill

I'd love to help you, but I have BCBS, too... no replacement for me,

either! :-O

>

> I'm new to this group and I am here because I need your help and

experience.  I had a terrible fall in June 2007.  After months of

misdiagnoses, steroids, muscle relaxers, pain killers, anti-

inflamatories, facet injections, lumbar injections, and finally a

discography my doctors have decided I need disc replacement surgery. 

The problem is my " wonderful " insurance, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, will

not cover replacement surgery but will cover spinal fusion.

>  

> What are you thoughts and experiences with disc replacement vs

spinal fusion?  Please don't hold back...I want to know everything. 

>  

> Your help is greatly appreciated!

>  

> Jill

>

>

>

>

>

• 1 month later...

Is your brother on any type of medicine for his syndrome? Is he in

any treatment program, or does he see a psychologist or psychiatrist

at all. This is where he needs to start if he isnt. He needs to get

on the correct type of medicine to help with his abusive behavior. He

also could very well be suicidal due to depression and I would take

it seriously, I dont care if he says he would never do it or not,

anyone is capable of it if they are that sick. He does need help.

Since he is 39 he needs to read up on his disorder and understand it.

You as his sister needs to also and so does the rest of your family.

Understanding the disorder is the beginning of trying to help him. If

he wont come home so you can help him I dont know wha to say. Is

anyone in your family able to go to him to stay for a while to get

him on track with meds and stuff?? I am not qualified in any way to

help you or to give you any mediacl advice, what I am saying to you

is just my opinion on what I would possibly try to do in your

situation. Some of us also think diet is a big issue in getting them

on a healthy path. You must read everything you can get your hands on

so you can become informed on his disorder. Tony Attwoods book called

Asperger's Syndrome (A guide for parents and professionals) also

Thinking in Pictures (My life with autism) By Temple Grandin, She

writes the book from her perspecitive view on autism, because she was

severly autistic and is now cured, its a great read and very

informative, just an amazing book, also The Everything Parent's guide

to children with Asperger's Syndrome by Stillman. There are

other great books out there but these are just a few of my favorites.

I sure hope you can get your brother the help he needs, and just to

let you know they can be very abusive towards the ones they love

because they are frustrated. Dont take it to heart but also dont

stand for it. Im sure all the other great people on this site can

give you alot more information and advice than I have given you but I

hope it helps a little. Good Luck to you and your family, .

-- In , " GWLAW99 " <gwlaw99@...> wrote:

>

> My brother is 39 years old and was diagnosed with Aspergers 2 years

> ago (he's had serious problems all his life with no correct

diagnosis).

>

> He has lost 5 jobs in the last 4 years and is completely incapable

of

> taking care of himself or keeping a job. My parents and I have been

> trying to take care of him for years but he is incredibly abusive to

> us and expects financial support when he gets fired despite being so

> abusive.

>

> Right now he has pretty much gone berzerk and is telling me he is

> considering suicide because he lost his job, has no money, and is in

> danger of being evicted(this may be a bluff as he as said this

before

> and also told us he would never do it even though he threatens). He

> won't come home so we can help him (he is on the opposite coast).

>

> I do not know what to do. He needs serious care and a professional

> program to help him every day. What can I do?

>

>

> I do not know what to do. He needs serious care and a professional

> program to help him every day. What can I do?

>

Since he has worked, he might qualify for social security disability.

Another thing you might try is googling for whatever autism advocacy

groups are in his geographic area and see if anyone there has any ideas.

You have some hard decisions to make. You might want to decide for

yourself what and how much you want to contribute to his welfare.

Decide where your boundaries are. That way, next time he asks, it

won't be so stressful since you will already have decided. He really

is your parents' responsibility, not yours. I think I would encourage

them to accept that he has a permanent disability and make plans

accordingly. Your parents may need to become his legal guardian again

and take care of him more hands on if he really can't take care of

himself or his finances. Your brother sounds very stressed out. I

wish you all the best of luck!

Ruth

• 1 month later...

This happened with my 11 yr. old son on Nystatin after working up to the full

dose after

only 3 days. He wouldn't take activated charcoal so we had him take a foot bath

with

Epsom Salts (which I see didn't help your son) and we gave him Natural Calm

magnesium.

The combination seemed to help a bit and I laid down with him until he fell

asleep after

about an hour and a half.

The next day he felt much better and then I lowered the dose and worked up to a

full dose

more slowly...over about 6 days I think. Even then he had an incredibly bad

tantrum which I

knew was die off because it was so severe and it was only soothed with the Epsom

Salts

foot bath and the Natural Calm again. It just may be that the die off is too

strong at that

dose. Can you check with your doctor about easing up to whatever dose you are at

now,

but more slowly?

Also, our doctor required that my son be on Probiotics at least three weeks

before starting

Nystatin. I'm not sure why. But in my son's case he had been on them for months

at that

point. I hope your son is already feeling better. The yeast does not go easily!

>

> I started my 13 yo on nystatin last week for yeast/fungus problems. I

> havent started the probiotics yet but had planned to do so. He is

> having a terrible stomach ache today ever since taking his

> supplements. I gave him one activated charcoal capsule and I had him

> take an epsom salt bath, but neither seem to have helped. he is very

> uncomfortable. does anyone have any suggestions?

>

okay, thanks! I'll see about backing off and get him fully on the

probiotics.

Kim

> >

> > I started my 13 yo on nystatin last week for yeast/fungus problems. I

> > havent started the probiotics yet but had planned to do so. He is

> > having a terrible stomach ache today ever since taking his

> > supplements. I gave him one activated charcoal capsule and I had him

> > take an epsom salt bath, but neither seem to have helped. he is very

> > uncomfortable. does anyone have any suggestions?

> >

>

• 3 months later...

In a message dated 2/22/2009 9:08:02 A.M. GMT Standard Time,

blueradiance6@... writes:

times. I'm SO SENSITIVE now that I have trouble even leaving the

apartment, because I am feeling these sensations BIGTIME from every

electrical thing that I pass--especially power lines & towers (which

Look at your diet and lifestyle at the moment, are you on any meds that

might be overloading you, re-appraise these, make a change in a few areas of

your

life small ones but changes to the way you live/think. Have you tried heavy

cardio exersise followed by meditation and so on, you need to give your body

a diversion, something else to worry about, I think sometimes that we try to

get to pure from all the esmog, making it worse for us when we re-emerge,

exposure to some is necessary and tolerance of this is necessary otherwise you

will go mad. Sadly I turned to puffing on ciggeretts for the last 2 weeks and

oddly it has a mild toning down effect on my ES, largely because in

poisining my cells with cigs they draw their attention away from esmog, but this

is

not sustainable so I have now stopped this and will have to weather the storm

when my body especially my lungs gets round to dealing with all that mess I

have poured into them ! So inversely I am sure that you can do some other

positive diversion tatic on your body just to get you through a difficult

time..

do you get my drift...

PUK