RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

RE: Vitamin B12

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I started taking it because i needed energy. I needed a little extra something & it along with my Monavie pulse helps me get & go when i feel like it. Of course there are those days when NOTHING helps...but on a normal everyday day..no pneumonia..no coughing spells..i get up & go!! 1st thing in the am...my symbicort 2 puffs, vit b 12 1000 mg, 1 jigger monavie, prednisone 30 mg (right now) still being weaned off...tylenol 3 w/codeine pill zertec, nexium, crestor & amlodopine + my nebulizer sol...it's been working for me so far..til night time i take 2 more puffs symbicort, another tylenol 3 w/codeine & my amtriptylin..my last breathing treatment & i'm ready to go...thats what i'm on right now--I am thinking about getting a 2nd opinion...i wonder if medicaid will cover if i cross states

dot/uip10/08/42/sa,tx

Subject: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-support Date: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 6:45 PM

I am curious...why are you taking vitamin B 12? That is one thing my doctor is testing for...a vit b12 deficiency.

I am not doing well.....I am beginning to think it is all in my mind..I just seem to get worse....I am even having a problem eating...too much effort. My doctor is having me take an X-ray and blood tests and stress test...all the blood tests are strange ones like Vit B12......How can I be deficient in Vitamins I am a Vegetarian and eat so many vegetables! Things like sitting at the computer are very hard for me now....I am nauseous too and get light headed....I am so puzzled by this...it just has to be all in my mind. There are times I feel like I cannot breath....I pull my oxygen off and just pant...it must be in my mind. Has anyone had anything like this happen to you? Sometimes I cannot lift my arms or move my legs. I get so weak that holding something makes my hand and arm tremble....Anyone have problems like these. Joyce Rudy AZ birds

Guest guest

rudy joyce

i wish, but doubt that it is in your head

listen to your body and see what the doc finds out

maybe your vegetarian diet is hurting you -- ask the doc about it

Pink Joyce R (IPF 3/06) IFA 5/09 Pennsylvania

Donate Life Listed 1/09 Inactive 4/09

www.transplantfund.org---

Subject: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-support Date: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 7:45 PM

I am curious...why are you taking vitamin B 12? That is one thing my doctor is testing for...a vit b12 deficiency.

I am not doing well.....I am beginning to think it is all in my mind..I just seem to get worse....I am even having a problem eating...too much effort. My doctor is having me take an X-ray and blood tests and stress test...all the blood tests are strange ones like Vit B12......How can I be deficient in Vitamins I am a Vegetarian and eat so many vegetables! Things like sitting at the computer are very hard for me now....I am nauseous too and get light headed....I am so puzzled by this...it just has to be all in my mind. There are times I feel like I cannot breath....I pull my oxygen off and just pant...it must be in my mind. Has anyone had anything like this happen to you? Sometimes I cannot lift my arms or move my legs. I get so weak that holding something makes my hand and arm tremble....Anyone have problems like these. Joyce Rudy AZ birds

Guest guest

I'm also @ 12.5 each lung.. & my recent ct scan showed one of them getting worse..i thought i was doing good..

dot/uip10/08/42/sa,tx

From: BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com <BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com>Subject: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 6:45 PM

Guest guest

Joyce,

For what it's worth I don't think it's in your mind. Your doctor is testing you for B12 deficiency because your symptoms match pretty closely with B12 deficiency. Doesn't mean that's what's going on but your doctor is doing the right thing by testing.

Strict vegans are at higher risk for developing pernicious anemia (B12 deficiency). Obviously you make your own decisions about your diet but I do wish you would think about consuming some animal protein a couple of times a week. Given the demands put on your body trying to function with reduced lung capacity and your penchant for running around pretending you're Superwoman, a little protein on occasion would probably be appreciated by your body.

Just my opinion of course. It's worth what you paid for it. LOL I'm just concerned about you!

Beth

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

To: Breathe-support Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 7:45:43 PMSubject: Vitamin B12

Guest guest

Joyce, I'm thinking of you and I hope you get over this terrible stuff soon.Beverley Joy,71, UIP,NSIP 1-09,Diabetes,Sjogren's,Fibromyalgia IdahoSubject: Re: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 4:59 PM

Patti I won't see the doctor until after the results of the tests come in....I did tell her and she is concerned. I am thinking this is not possible. All I seem to want to do now is sleep. It is even hard for me to talk on the phone. I don't understand what is going on....Joyce R AZ birds

In a message dated 12/19/2009 5:55:23 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, napa73 (AT) comcast (DOT) net writes:

Joyce....... .so sorry to hear you still aren't feeling better. I am thinking of you. When do you actually see the doctor again?

Might be a good idea to see him soon with all the different things going on. Be sure to mention the heaviness you are feeling in your arms and legs.

Patti IPF 2007 Indianapolis

Guest guest

Joyce-Rudy,

Like Beth I too am concered about your diet. Good nutrition is especially important in those with lung disease. We have advanced lung disease and need extra energy to power the muscles of respiration that are working overtime. We have a tenfold increase in energy expenditure over baseline compared to those with normal lung function. You may have significant protein calorie malnutrition. Vegetables are not protein.

Also, symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency can include weakness, fatigue, numbness, tingling in fingers and toes, decreased appetite, diarrhea, hair loss, or depression.

C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington

HOPE doesn't disappoint!

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 5:39:24 PMSubject: Re: Vitamin B12

Joyce,

For what it's worth I don't think it's in your mind. Your doctor is testing you for B12 deficiency because your symptoms match pretty closely with B12 deficiency. Doesn't mean that's what's going on but your doctor is doing the right thing by testing.

Strict vegans are at higher risk for developing pernicious anemia (B12 deficiency). Obviously you make your own decisions about your diet but I do wish you would think about consuming some animal protein a couple of times a week. Given the demands put on your body trying to function with reduced lung capacity and your penchant for running around pretending you're Superwoman, a little protein on occasion would probably be appreciated by your body.

Just my opinion of course. It's worth what you paid for it. LOL I'm just concerned about you!

Beth

From: "BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com" <BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com>To: Breathe-support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sat, December 19, 2009 7:45:43 PMSubject: Vitamin B12

I am not doing well.....I am beginning to think it is all in my mind..I just seem to get worse....I am even having a problem eating...too much effort. My doctor is having me take an X-ray and blood tests and stress test...all the blood tests are strange ones like Vit B12.......How can I be deficient in Vitamins I am a Vegetarian and eat so many vegetables! Things like sitting at the computer are very hard for me now....I am nauseous too and get light headed....I am so puzzled by this...it just has to be all in my mind. There are times I feel like I cannot breath....I pull my oxygen off and just pant...it must be in my mind. Has anyone had anything like this happen to you? Sometimes I cannot lift my arms or move my legs. I get so weak that holding something makes my hand and arm tremble....Anyone have problems like these. Joyce Rudy AZ birds

Guest guest

Joyce-R, I'm saying a prayer for you right now! Just stay home and rest this weekend until you can talk to your doctor. Or if your symptoms start to get worse got to ER!

HOPE doesn't disappoint!

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 6:47:03 PMSubject: Re: Vitamin B12

Beth if it does indeed turn ou tto be a Vitamin or iron deficiency I will change my diet immediately! What ever is happening to me is horrible! My heart is racing and i feel like I am dying....I am so exhausted and tired and weak....sometimes I feel like I can't breathe...I think my doctor will probably tell me the same thing...I will just realize my body can't be a vegan...or a vegetarian. Oh my! Joyce R AZ birds

Guest guest

I know how u feel I had the same issues but now I now longer need the o2 I feel great for the most part for me is was not all in my head it just takes time to get better keep ur faith never lose it hard but tu can do it Sent from my iPod

Guest guest

Joyce,

For what it's worth Joyce I agree completley with . Regardless of whatever else is going on with you I think you probably are not getting the protein your body needs to function.

I would be less concerned if you were just a vegetarian and not a vegan because you would at least be including eggs and milk products in your diet. Getting adequate protein as a vegan requires a tremendous amount of care and attention. And our protein needs may indeed be higher because of our struggles to do something as ordinary or mundane as breathe.

How about just trying a little animal protein over the next couple of days. It's not as though it's an unknown medication....it's just food. A scrambled egg for breakfast maybe? :) Hope you feel better soonest!

Beth

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 9:49:58 PMSubject: Re: Vitamin B12

Joyce-Rudy,

Like Beth I too am concered about your diet. Good nutrition is especially important in those with lung disease. We have advanced lung disease and need extra energy to power the muscles of respiration that are working overtime. We have a tenfold increase in energy expenditure over baseline compared to those with normal lung function. You may have significant protein calorie malnutrition. Vegetables are not protein.

Also, symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency can include weakness, fatigue, numbness, tingling in fingers and toes, decreased appetite, diarrhea, hair loss, or depression.

HOPE doesn't disappoint!

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sat, December 19, 2009 5:39:24 PMSubject: Re: Vitamin B12

Joyce,

Beth

From: "BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com" <BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com>To: Breathe-support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sat, December 19, 2009 7:45:43 PMSubject: Vitamin B12

I am not doing well.....I am beginning to think it is all in my mind..I just seem to get worse....I am even having a problem eating...too much effort. My doctor is having me take an X-ray and blood tests and stress test...all the blood tests are strange ones like Vit B12.......How can I be deficient in Vitamins I am a Vegetarian and eat so many vegetables! Things like sitting at the computer are very hard for me now....I am nauseous too and get light headed....I am so puzzled by this...it just has to be all in my mind. There are times I feel like I cannot breath....I pull my oxygen off and just pant...it must be in my mind. Has anyone had anything like this happen to you? Sometimes I cannot lift my arms or move my legs. I get so weak that holding something makes my hand and arm tremble....Anyone have problems like these. Joyce Rudy AZ birds

Guest guest

The diet I have been on - the McDougall Weight Loss Program doesn't want you to eat any fat or protien. He says you get all the protien you need from vegetagbles and fat is very bad for you. He says if you follow his diet your dieabetes and other problems will go away that the problem is with our diets. I went to a registered diatitian and she said it is ok to follow his diet and is excellent for diabetics.....but, I need more protien so she suggested tofu...now My instructor doesnt really like that but I do eat some tofu....But his program without being weight loss has no fat or protein accept what you get from vegeetables. He eats some but not a lot of Tofu because Tofu is processed. It is a starch based diet...you are supposed to eat mostly brown rice and potato...the extra is side stuff the greens etc....he says you can live totally on just potato alone. It is bad that I had to add tofu....my instructor told me instead of eating tofu I should try a tiny bit of pea powder with my food...like an eight of a teaspoonful. I ran into problems and the dietitian told me toeat tofu 3 times a day and my instructor wasn't too thrilled with that....I guess because Tofu has fat in it. By McDougall Protein is an abomination...unless it comes from vegetables. He states we get enough protein and fat from nature with vegetables. But his diet is starch based....You eat a high starch diet... a platefull of Brown rice with a dab of vegetabe or he likes a plateful of potato but not with any fat....if it is my diet that is causing this how can everyone else who eats this do so well and I do so poorly? Am I from outerspace.

Beth I blew going to get my blood drawn today because I was so hungry and forgot but I did have an egg with some sweet potato and morningstar Farms sausage...boy did that egg taste good! Joyce R

Guest guest

Oh, I am not supposed to eat nuts or peanut butter...any nut oil...it is said that a nut is too rich. It's purpose is to make more of it's kind and is loaded with things which make it too rich for us to eat...also, that is why you are not supposed to eat dairy. Joyce

Guest guest

Joyce,

Please take care of yourself, you don't want to get any sicker. If you like cheese, have a little cheese and crackers this morning.

HOPE doesn't disappoint!

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 7:06:44 PMSubject: Re: Vitamin B12

C I am thinking I may have this. I sure do have the symptoms.... if so , I don't think I will continue being a Vegetarian. I didn't realize we use more energy and need more protein....didn' t know that. Joyce R

Guest guest

Joyce...think nuts and peanutbutter PF 01/05 diabetis forgver, pagents disease 75

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 11:14:10 AMSubject: Re: Vitamin B12

JoyceProtein is just the most essential nutrient while all serve some purposein the right quantities. For those of you having problems with some ofyour meds making you ill, I also offer this advice. Whereas you may havebeen told to take with food, I'll advise to take with protein. You'll besurprised how it might help. has morning meds that she must haveprotein in her system for. It doesn't matter how much other stuff sheeats in the morning, if she doesn't eat protein, the meds do affect herstomach.We also get misled sometimes on fats. While excessive amounts of fatsmay be a problem, there are certain essential fats our body needs too.If one is on a low fat diet they may well need some supplements forthese. That's part of the reason behind the explosion of the Omega 3oils in use.I often mention diabetic diets for all those on prednisone. Well, inreality, most of us would

benefit from such diets, whether or not wehave diabetes or a weight problem. The diets talked recently about hereare along those lines.>> Joyce,> For what it's worth Joyce I agree completley with . Regardless ofwhatever else is going on with you I think you probably are notgetting the protein your body needs to function.>> I would be less concerned if you were just a vegetarian and not avegan because you would at least be including eggs and milk productsin your diet. Getting adequate protein as a vegan requires atremendous amount of care and attention. And our protein needs mayindeed be higher because of our struggles to do something as ordinary ormundane

as breathe.>> How about just trying a little animal protein over the next couple ofdays. It's not as though it's an unknown medication.. ..it's just food. Ascrambled egg for breakfast maybe? :) Hope you feel better soonest!>> Beth> Moderator> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08> Â> Â>>>>> ____________ _________ _________ __> From: worth hope2thend@. ..> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 9:49:58 PM> Subject: Re: Vitamin B12>> Â> Joyce-Rudy,> Like Beth I too am concered about your diet. Good nutrition isespecially important in those with lung disease. We haveadvanced lung

disease and need extra energy to power the muscles ofrespiration that are working overtime. We have a tenfold increase inenergy expenditure over baseline compared to those with normal lungfunction. You may have significant protein calorie malnutrition. Vegetables are not protein.> Also,  symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency can includeweakness, fatigue, numbness, tingling in fingers and toes, decreasedappetite, diarrhea, hair loss, or depression.> Â> C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington> HOPE doesn't disappoint!>>>>>> ____________ _________ _________ __> From: Beth mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 5:39:24 PM> Subject: Re: Vitamin B12>> Â> Joyce,> For what it's worth I don't think it's in your mind. Your

doctoris testing you for B12 deficiency because your symptoms matchÂpretty closely with B12 deficiency. Doesn't mean that's what's going onbut your doctor is doing the right thing by testing.> Strict vegans are at higher risk for developing pernicious anemia (B12deficiency). Obviously you make your own decisions about yourdiet but I do wish you would think about consuming some animalprotein a couple of times a week. Given the demands put on yourbody trying to function with reduced lung capacity and your penchantfor running around pretending you're Superwoman, a little protein onoccasion would probably be appreciated by your body.>> Just my opinion of course. It's worth what you paid for it.ÂLOL I'm just concerned about you!> Â> Beth> Moderator> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08> Â>

Â>>>>> ____________ _________ _________ __> From: "BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com" BlueLiddy (AT) aol (DOT) com>> To: Breathe-support@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 7:45:43 PM> Subject: Vitamin B12>> Â> I am curious...why are you taking vitamin B 12? That is one thing mydoctor is testing for...a vit b12 deficiency.>> I am not doing well.....I am beginning to think it is all in mymind..I just seem to get worse....I am even having a problemeating...too much effort. My doctor is having me take an X-ray and bloodtests and stress test...all the blood tests are strange ones like VitB12.......How can I be deficient in Vitamins I am a Vegetarian and eatso many vegetables! Things like sitting at the computer are very hardfor me now....I am nauseous too and get light headed....I am so puzzledby this...it just has to

be all in my mind. There are times I feel likeI cannot breath....I pull my oxygen off and just pant...it must be in mymind. Has anyone had anything like this happen to you? Sometimes Icannot lift my arms or move my legs. I get so weak that holdingsomething makes my hand and arm tremble....Anyone have problems likethese. Joyce Rudy AZ birds>

Guest guest

Hi Pink- my dietitian is a licensed dietition with our local hospital. She is also a vegetarian. She thought a very low fat Vegan diet was excellent for diabetes and helped me. She was the person who said I NEED MORE PROTEIN then the McDougal diet called for and told me to eat Tofu 3 times a day. My instructor was the one who really didn't like that. McDougal does eat tofu once in awhile but considers it having too much fat. Yes, I ate my egg and then I had a egg salad sandwich for lunch...a whole one and pickles.....a nice big Clausen pickle which they object too because of the salt. After a bit I felt alive and went to the store to shop for food. I bought a small standing rib roast because it was only $3.77 LB and after I take my blood tests tomorrow I am cooking it for dinner -just to be safe....I am having a friend for dinner and I am going to serve the roast....I only hope I can eat it...it has been so long since I have eaten meat. Afer remembering what the pulmonary therapist said and having this trouble I am afraid I may not be able to be a vegetarian..it may be that my lung disease just doesn't allow for it. I didn't know that we need more energy just to breath and I didn't remember that a high carb diet can cause you to need more oxygen....both those things can have a tremendous affect..when you eat mostly vegetables you are not eatin gmany calories either...and I have lost 20 lbs on the diet.....I know my doctory does NOT want me to be a VEGAN. She says NO! And, it might be because a vegetarian is high carb my lung disease won't allow for it...Things are just so complicated when you can't breathe! until Beth said something- I think it was Beth- I didn't know my blood was nay differnt then those without lung disease....and it sure does make sense that if I become anemic it will hit me harder then most. Boy have I learned something from this epidsode! Joyce R AZ birds

Guest guest

Joyce,

I know nothing at all about the McDougall program. But honestly any diet that is extreme in nature...that labels an entire group of foods an "abomination" is suspect to me. Humans need protein and fat. It's absurd and dangerous to say that no one needs or should eat them.

As for why other people would do well and you wouldn't, do all those other people have lung disease? Are they diabetics? There is no one diet that is good for everyone. It may be good for some people but not for you. It certainly wouldn't be good for me.

I would be more inclined to follow the advice of your dietician. It sounds like she is thinking more reasonably and wants to modify this plan to suit your circumstances. (though I can't/won't eat tofu if you like it at least it's a source of protein) You, like all of us are a unique individual. Your body has specific needs that must be met or it won't work the way it's supposed to. Giving yourself the fuel you need can't hurt and can only help.

Beth

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 2:54:35 PMSubject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12

The diet I have been on - the McDougall Weight Loss Program doesn't want you to eat any fat or protien. He says you get all the protien you need from vegetagbles and fat is very bad for you. He says if you follow his diet your dieabetes and other problems will go away that the problem is with our diets. I went to a registered diatitian and she said it is ok to follow his diet and is excellent for diabetics... ..but, I need more protien so she suggested tofu...now My instructor doesnt really like that but I do eat some tofu....But his program without being weight loss has no fat or protein accept what you get from vegeetables. He eats some but not a lot of Tofu because Tofu is processed. It is a starch based diet...you are supposed to eat mostly brown rice and potato...the extra is side stuff the greens etc....he says you can live totally on just potato alone. It is bad that I had to add tofu....my instructor told me instead of eating tofu I should

try a tiny bit of pea powder with my food...like an eight of a teaspoonful. I ran into problems and the dietitian told me toeat tofu 3 times a day and my instructor wasn't too thrilled with that....I guess because Tofu has fat in it. By McDougall Protein is an abomination. ..unless it comes from vegetables. He states we get enough protein and fat from nature with vegetables. But his diet is starch based....You eat a high starch diet... a platefull of Brown rice with a dab of vegetabe or he likes a plateful of potato but not with any fat....if it is my diet that is causing this how can everyone else who eats this do so well and I do so poorly? Am I from outerspace.

Beth I blew going to get my blood drawn today because I was so hungry and forgot but I did have an egg with some sweet potato and morningstar Farms sausage...boy did that egg taste good! Joyce R

Guest guest

Oh my! I buy my Tofu in a health food grocery store and I hope it is pesticide free! i wouldn't eat it if it had pesticide residue! I'll look into that. I don't care if things are genetically modified...I see no harm in that...most all our food is genetically modified. We have been modifiying it for centuries...but it really bothers me to think I could be eating pesticide. Where would I look to find out about that? do you know? Let me know if you do because that is quite important. Joyce R AZ Birds

Guest guest

Yeah!! Rudy Joyce

glad you ate the egg

where did you find this dietician?

is he or she legit?

is he or she affialated with a local hospital

Subject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 2:54 PM

The diet I have been on - the McDougall Weight Loss Program doesn't want you to eat any fat or protien. He says you get all the protien you need from vegetagbles and fat is very bad for you. He says if you follow his diet your dieabetes and other problems will go away that the problem is with our diets. I went to a registered diatitian and she said it is ok to follow his diet and is excellent for diabetics... ..but, I need more protien so she suggested tofu...now My instructor doesnt really like that but I do eat some tofu....But his program without being weight loss has no fat or protein accept what you get from vegeetables. He eats some but not a lot of Tofu because Tofu is processed. It is a starch based diet...you are supposed to eat mostly brown rice and potato...the extra is side stuff the greens etc....he says you can live totally on just potato alone. It is bad that I had to add tofu....my instructor told me instead of eating tofu I should

try a tiny bit of pea powder with my food...like an eight of a teaspoonful. I ran into problems and the dietitian told me toeat tofu 3 times a day and my instructor wasn't too thrilled with that....I guess because Tofu has fat in it. By McDougall Protein is an abomination. ..unless it comes from vegetables. He states we get enough protein and fat from nature with vegetables. But his diet is starch based....You eat a high starch diet... a platefull of Brown rice with a dab of vegetabe or he likes a plateful of potato but not with any fat....if it is my diet that is causing this how can everyone else who eats this do so well and I do so poorly? Am I from outerspace.

Guest guest

rudy

i don't trust this diet -- from your description sounds to weird for me

sounds like a very very very unhealthy diet to me

Subject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 2:56 PM

Oh, I am not supposed to eat nuts or peanut butter...any nut oil...it is said that a nut is too rich. It's purpose is to make more of it's kind and is loaded with things which make it too rich for us to eat...also, that is why you are not supposed to eat dairy. Joyce

Guest guest

Bruce,

personally i think a well balanced diet with portion control is the healthiest diet for life

wish i could follow it all of the time

cheesecake sounds good right now lol

Subject: Re: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 4:37 PM

JoyceI found the diet and McDougall has his center in Santa Clara and manyfollowers. There are those with autoimmune diseases and multiplesclerosis referring to it as life saving. There is so much still tolearn about diet and nutrition and there are so few real studies. Ipersonally find the diet with no protein and no fat, but instead lots ofstarches very disturbing but thats just a personal opinion. However, thereality is that you're not feeling well so I'd advise coming off of itjust in case. I'd advise this to anyone on a fairly extreme diet. Forinstance, I'm a believer in low carb but if someone went on one andquickly was struggling, I'd advise to go back to balance until figuringout the medical problems. I think 50 years from now they'll be able totake blood from each of us and tell us the ideal diet for us (unless wejust take pills instead of eating by then). But for now we must

listento our bodies.>> The diet I have been on - the McDougall Weight Loss Program doesn'twant> you to eat any fat or protien. He says you get all the protien youneed from> vegetagbles and fat is very bad for you. He says if you follow hisdiet> your dieabetes and other problems will go away that the problem iswith our> diets. I went to a registered diatitian and she said it is ok tofollow his> diet and is excellent for diabetics... ..but, I need more protien soshe> suggested tofu...now My instructor doesnt really like that but I doeat some> tofu....But his program without being weight loss has no fat orprotein>

accept what you get from vegeetables. He eats some but not a lot ofTofu because> Tofu is processed. It is a starch based diet...you are supposed toeat> mostly brown rice and potato...the extra is side stuff the greensetc....he> says you can live totally on just potato alone. It is bad that I hadto add> tofu....my instructor told me instead of eating tofu I should try atiny bit> of pea powder with my food...like an eight of a teaspoonful. I raninto> problems and the dietitian told me toeat tofu 3 times a day and myinstructor> wasn't too thrilled with that....I guess because Tofu has fat in it.By> McDougall Protein is an abomination. ..unless it comes fromvegetables. He> states we get enough protein and fat from nature with vegetables. Buthis diet> is starch based....You eat a high starch diet... a platefull of Brownrice> with a dab of

vegetabe or he likes a plateful of potato but not withany> fat....if it is my diet that is causing this how can everyone elsewho eats> this do so well and I do so poorly? Am I from outerspace.>> Beth I blew going to get my blood drawn today because I was sohungry> and forgot but I did have an egg with some sweet potato andmorningstar> Farms sausage...boy did that egg taste good! Joyce R>

Guest guest

JoyceR,

That diet just sounds too extreme. I think we need to eat something from all the four food groups, in moderation and by cutting calories you'll lose weight. Eating all one type of food doesn't seem very healthy and I don't know of any vegetable that has protein in it?

Time to say bye-bye to Mr. McDougall and his diet.

HOPE doesn't disappoint!

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 11:54:35 AMSubject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12

try a tiny bit of pea powder with my food...like an eight of a teaspoonful.. I ran into problems and the dietitian told me toeat tofu 3 times a day and my instructor wasn't too thrilled with that....I guess because Tofu has fat in it. By McDougall Protein is an abomination. ..unless it comes from vegetables. He states we get enough protein and fat from nature with vegetables. But his diet is starch based....You eat a high starch diet... a platefull of Brown rice with a dab of vegetabe or he likes a plateful of potato but not with any fat....if it is my diet that is causing this how can everyone else who eats this do so well and I do so poorly? Am I from outerspace.

Guest guest

Joyce,

It's not that I don't like tofu. I've never eaten it. I realize it is pretty flavorless on it's own and takes on the taste of whatever it's cooked in. I've never eaten it because more than 90% of the tofu sold in the US is made from genetically modified and pesticide contaminated soy. There is also some question of whether the consumption of soy raises one's risk for breast cancer.

I'm sure that whatever you make would be delicious, no doubt about that at all. It's just that tofu is something I don't eat. Since I'm not a vegetarian, I've got absolutely no reason to. :)

Beth

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 3:48:25 PMSubject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12

MB- you don't like tofu??? Go to Panda Express and get their Tofu and eggplant...I' ll bet you won't mind it in that! It it isn't the taste of tofu most people find bad it is the texture because tofu takes on the taste of whatever it's in. i thought I hated it but since I have learned to cook with it I like it. come on over and I'll whip up some Thai tofu and asperagus! If you like spicey food it is delicious! And for dessert I'll have Vegan cheesecake and coffee! joyce R

Guest guest

Joyce you need to buy organic tofu, that should have no pesticides etc.. That goes for any other foods, I try to eat all organic, gets alittle hairy in the middle of no where. Froze a lot of vege's this summer.. Gascoigne SD, 50 yrs old, IPF 7/2009To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 8:35:07 PMSubject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12

Oh my! I buy my Tofu in a health food grocery store and I hope it is pesticide free! i wouldn't eat it if it had pesticide residue! I'll look into that. I don't care if things are genetically modified...I see no harm in that...most all our food is genetically modified. We have been modifiying it for centuries... but it really bothers me to think I could be eating pesticide. Where would I look to find out about that? do you know? Let me know if you do because that is quite important. Joyce R AZ Birds

Guest guest

Joyce,

Soy is no different from any other crop. Most produce grown commercially has pesticide residue. Unless you're buying certified organic tofu you run the risk of pesticide contamination. Just buying it in the health food store is no guarantee that something is organic or pesticide free.

Beth

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 9:35:07 PMSubject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12

Oh my! I buy my Tofu in a health food grocery store and I hope it is pesticide free! i wouldn't eat it if it had pesticide residue! I'll look into that. I don't care if things are genetically modified...I see no harm in that...most all our food is genetically modified. We have been modifiying it for centuries... but it really bothers me to think I could be eating pesticide. Where would I look to find out about that? do you know? Let me know if you do because that is quite important. Joyce R AZ Birds

Guest guest

Rudy

glad you are starting to feel better

remember portion control when you eat the meat

i love rib roast, somehow i will try to join you for dinner

Subject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12To: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 7:51 PM

Hi Pink- my dietitian is a licensed dietition with our local hospital. She is also a vegetarian. She thought a very low fat Vegan diet was excellent for diabetes and helped me. She was the person who said I NEED MORE PROTEIN then the McDougal diet called for and told me to eat Tofu 3 times a day. My instructor was the one who really didn't like that. McDougal does eat tofu once in awhile but considers it having too much fat. Yes, I ate my egg and then I had a egg salad sandwich for lunch...a whole one and pickles..... a nice big Clausen pickle which they object too because of the salt. After a bit I felt alive and went to the store to shop for food. I bought a small standing rib roast because it was only $3.77 LB and after I take my blood tests tomorrow I am cooking it for dinner -just to be safe....I am having a friend for dinner and I am going to serve the roast....I only hope I can eat it...it has been so long since I have eaten meat. Afer

remembering what the pulmonary therapist said and having this trouble I am afraid I may not be able to be a vegetarian.. it may be that my lung disease just doesn't allow for it. I didn't know that we need more energy just to breath and I didn't remember that a high carb diet can cause you to need more oxygen....both those things can have a tremendous affect..when you eat mostly vegetables you are not eatin gmany calories either...and I have lost 20 lbs on the diet.....I know my doctory does NOT want me to be a VEGAN. She says NO! And, it might be because a vegetarian is high carb my lung disease won't allow for it...Things are just so complicated when you can't breathe! until Beth said something- I think it was Beth- I didn't know my blood was nay differnt then those without lung disease....and it sure does make sense that if I become anemic it will hit me harder then most. Boy have I learned something from this epidsode! Joyce R AZ

birds

Guest guest

Joyce-R,

You are on the right track adding protein back in your diet. Sounds like you are already feeling better too.

I saw a dietician yesterday and she also said I should have some protein with each meal and it doesn't always have to be meat. It can be beans, peanut butter, nuts or even a protein powder added to a fruit smoothie drink.

HOPE doesn't disappoint!

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 4:51:33 PMSubject: Re: Re: Vitamin B12

Hi Pink- my dietitian is a licensed dietition with our local hospital. She is also a vegetarian. She thought a very low fat Vegan diet was excellent for diabetes and helped me. She was the person who said I NEED MORE PROTEIN then the McDougal diet called for and told me to eat Tofu 3 times a day. My instructor was the one who really didn't like that. McDougal does eat tofu once in awhile but considers it having too much fat. Yes, I ate my egg and then I had a egg salad sandwich for lunch...a whole one and pickles..... a nice big Clausen pickle which they object too because of the salt. After a bit I felt alive and went to the store to shop for food. I bought a small standing rib roast because it was only $3.77 LB and after I take my blood tests tomorrow I am cooking it for dinner -just to be safe.....I am having a friend for dinner and I am going to serve the roast....I only hope I can eat it...it has been so long since I have eaten meat. Afer

remembering what the pulmonary therapist said and having this trouble I am afraid I may not be able to be a vegetarian.. it may be that my lung disease just doesn't allow for it. I didn't know that we need more energy just to breath and I didn't remember that a high carb diet can cause you to need more oxygen....both those things can have a tremendous affect..when you eat mostly vegetables you are not eatin gmany calories either...and I have lost 20 lbs on the diet.....I know my doctory does NOT want me to be a VEGAN. She says NO! And, it might be because a vegetarian is high carb my lung disease won't allow for it...Things are just so complicated when you can't breathe! until Beth said something- I think it was Beth- I didn't know my blood was nay differnt then those without lung disease....and it sure does make sense that if I become anemic it will hit me harder then most. Boy have I learned something from this epidsode! Joyce R AZ

birds