RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Nerve Conduction Study

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't remember if I had that test done. I've had EMG's, but they didn't involve the prongs. At least it's over & brought good news. Hopefully, you'll never have to do it again!

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22

> To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:30:47 +1000> Subject: Nerve Conduction Study> > I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.> It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks are quite uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!> > xo > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

Hello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!

I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.

I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . .

Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .

Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:53 -0400Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

I don't remember if I had that test done. I've had EMG's, but they didn't involve the prongs. At least it's over & brought good news. Hopefully, you'll never have to do it again!

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22 > To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:30:47 +1000> Subject: Nerve Conduction Study> > I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.> It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks are quite uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!> > xo > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

, that is really weird. It was just fluid, not blood? I've never heard of that. Was that the first EMG you've had?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: wluce50@...Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:14:35 +0000Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

Hello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:53 -0400Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22 > To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:30:47 +1000> Subject: Nerve Conduction Study> > I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.> It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks are quite uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!> > xo > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

No, Rose, I've had many done prior to this; the same neurologist performed testing twice last year in the early stages of my diagnosis; (she was first to suspect neurosarc) but even though I had severe edema at that time, I did not "leak" then.

It was a fluid thicker than water, but not viscous, and just slightly off-clear -- a bit yellowish. It was the strangest thing, and as the Dr noted, a real nuisance, especially at bedtime or when I wanted to go out. But it's finally stopped; took just over a week before I could take off bandaid and move about without a "surprise" . . .

Even Dr really didn't know, and admitted it was "not normal" -- but she didn't believe it was cause for concern. So -- for other members of the group, if you "spring a leak" following EMG testing, you can count yourself into an even more "rare" group than the one to which we already belong -- and chalk the experience up to just another day in the odd and surprising life of a neurosarc "pwerhouse" :)

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 01:11:26 -0400Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

, that is really weird. It was just fluid, not blood? I've never heard of that. Was that the first EMG you've had?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: wluce50@...Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:14:35 +0000Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

Hello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

Guest guest

That's good news, but study was supposedly normal, but the thing was that I did not feel any pain when they stuck me, I guess my nerves responded, but I had no feeling.  that fact that you felt it and it was normal is good. 

Marla " Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. " - Irish Proverb  

I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.

It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks are quite uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!

xo

Guest guest

Next time just tell them you are extraordinarily unigue, I have never heard of that reaction; wonder if it would work on my fat....Glad things are getting better, next time use Lasix it's not as messy (Just teasing)

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 9:14:35 AMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

Hello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a

nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:53 -0400Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyI don't remember if I had that test done. I've had EMG's, but they didn't involve the prongs. At least it's over & brought good news. Hopefully, you'll never have to do it again!

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22 > To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:30:47 +1000> Subject: Nerve Conduction Study> > I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.> It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks

are quite uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!> > xo > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

, I don't have a clue, but i am curious...Do you have gout, the fluid your describing makes me wonder..

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Wed, June 1, 2011 12:54:53 PMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

No, Rose, I've had many done prior to this; the same neurologist performed testing twice last year in the early stages of my diagnosis; (she was first to suspect neurosarc) but even though I had severe edema at that time, I did not "leak" then.It was a fluid thicker than water, but not viscous, and just slightly off-clear -- a bit yellowish. It was the strangest thing, and as the Dr noted, a real nuisance, especially at bedtime or when I wanted to go out. But it's finally stopped; took just over a week before I could take off bandaid and move about without a "surprise" . . .Even Dr really didn't know, and admitted it was "not normal" -- but she didn't believe it was cause for concern. So -- for other members of the group, if you "spring a leak" following EMG testing, you can count yourself into an even more "rare" group than the one to which we already belong -- and chalk

the experience up to just another day in the odd and surprising life of a neurosarc "pwerhouse" :)

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 01:11:26 -0400Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study, that is really weird. It was just fluid, not blood? I've never heard of that. Was that the first EMG you've had?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: wluce50@...Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:14:35 +0000Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyHello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . .

.. I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:53 -0400Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyI don't remember if I had that test done. I've had EMG's, but they didn't involve the prongs. At least it's over & brought good news. Hopefully, you'll never have to do it again!

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22 > To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:30:47 +1000> Subject: Nerve Conduction Study> > I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.> It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks

are quite uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!> > xo > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

Marla, I've had EMGs of my legs & right arm. They warned me of how painful it

would be. I could feel the sticks, but no pain. I wonder what it would have been

like if I had one years earlier, before symptoms. I'll bet I would have

caterwauled so you could hear me for miles!

Re: Nerve Conduction Study

That's good news, but study was supposedly normal, but the thing was that I

did not feel any pain when they stuck me, I guess my nerves responded, but I

had no feeling. that fact that you felt it and it was normal is good.

Marla

" Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk

less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. " - Irish

Proverb* *

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Sutherland <

denise@...> wrote:

>

>

> I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are

> normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.

> It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks are quite

> uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the

> electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and

> elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!

>

> xo

>

>

Guest guest

Connie: no to the gout (have regular bloodwork done and been to podiatrist, GP (Family Dr) recently and regularly who watch for this and diabetes. And I tested negative for Gout in the past . . but I will ask about this again when I see my GP on June 15. (Of course, when I was in his office during the "leaking" phase, my bandaids and face cloth were dry, and nothing happened after I took off the bandaid-- until I got home, of course. While this was happening, I kept thinking I should go to a clinic or hospital where they could take a swab/sample but I am terrified of picking up an infection while I wait with the general (sick) public -- and I am kind of glad I didn't go as it's just become public news that the hospital ER I would have gone to now officially has an outbreak of C-difficle; h owever, that began a couple of weeks ago . .. and new cases are coming in as well as discharged patients returning with symptoms.

"Good news": I finally started the Remicade protocol this past Tuesday -- all went well at the clinic (I laughed when I read some of the posts about the recliners--my clinic is blue), but I did get a lingering headache through Wed, and since Wednesday have experienced periods of nausea and a few bouts of diarraeah (??spelling??). I believe these are rather common side effects of the drug, and am not concerned; nothing that can't cope with.

But the weird thing, (I always seem to have something odd/unusual happen) is with my left knee: the left leg/side of my body is most affected by disease, so this could be a neurosarc flare-up and not the remicade -- anyhow, yesterday I developed a raised, swollen lump on the upper, inside of my knee, that started off about two inches in diameter and is now three or so inches, that is very painful to touch; there is a red perimeter -- but not hot to touch or anything, and the redness has extended up my leg, almost to groin -- sort of along a vein -- again, not hot, nor do I have a fever. But these areas are very painful to touch and tender, while rest of leg -- except for ankle, is OK. Walking is very painful, too.

Have had different types of flare-ups in left leg before that mimic DVT, and I have Baker's cyst that acts up, but this is a new one!

I have a call in to my Remicade rep/RN but again, want to stay away from hospital and clinic waiting rooms because I don't want to just get put on antibitotic by an ER doc trying to clear beds and perhaps ruin the Remicade protocol I've waited six months to start . ..

Anyhow, thanks for the advice/suggestion, and again, I will talk to my doc(s) again about Gout, just to be sure. . . .

Sincerely,'

To: Neurosarcoidosis From: conaugusta@...Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:39:06 -0700Subject: Re: Nerve Conduction Study

, I don't have a clue, but i am curious...Do you have gout, the fluid your describing makes me wonder..

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Wed, June 1, 2011 12:54:53 PMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

No, Rose, I've had many done prior to this; the same neurologist performed testing twice last year in the early stages of my diagnosis; (she was first to suspect neurosarc) but even though I had severe edema at that time, I did not "leak" then.It was a fluid thicker than water, but not viscous, and just slightly off-clear -- a bit yellowish. It was the strangest thing, and as the Dr noted, a real nuisance, especially at bedtime or when I wanted to go out. But it's finally stopped; took just over a week before I could take off bandaid and move about without a "surprise" . . .Even Dr really didn't know, and admitted it was "not normal" -- but she didn't believe it was cause for concern. So -- for other members of the group, if you "spring a leak" following EMG testing, you can count yourself into an even more "rare" group than the one to which we already belong -- and chalk the experience up to just another day in the odd and surprising life of a neurosarc "pwerhouse" :)

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 01:11:26 -0400Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study, that is really weird. It was just fluid, not blood? I've never heard of that. Was that the first EMG you've had?

To: neurosarcoidosis From: wluce50@...Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:14:35 +0000Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyHello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

Guest guest

Connie: I think the "diet" water recommended yesterday would be an effective treatment for this problem; I will follow up and let all know. :)

To: Neurosarcoidosis From: conaugusta@...Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:31:49 -0700Subject: Re: Nerve Conduction Study

Next time just tell them you are extraordinarily unigue, I have never heard of that reaction; wonder if it would work on my fat....Glad things are getting better, next time use Lasix it's not as messy (Just teasing)

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 9:14:35 AMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

Guest guest

, I found that if I didn't come home and rest/nap I would get a headache, also really push the water after your treatment,  I learned that did help the headache too, like I would drink water during the infusion, and like two water bottles right after.  I too got diarrhea in the beginning,  really bad. 

but it got better after awhile, don't remember just how long?  Then when we increased the dosage, I got it again but not as long.  As for the bump around the knee, YOU should really have it checked out, see if you can get into your doctor, or do you have to go to the emergency room?  I would have a doc check it out, don't like the sound of it getting bigger, and the red streak, even if it's not warm to the touch, it's not normal.  

I too have more left side involvement, from the top of my head to my toes.  But do get the bump check, let us know what you find out, or what the RN says about it. (I'm an RN too, and I would tell you to get it checked,  oh guess I already did, sorry:)

Marla " Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. " - Irish Proverb  

Connie: no to the gout (have regular bloodwork done and been to podiatrist, GP (Family Dr) recently and regularly who watch for this and diabetes. And I tested negative for Gout in the past . . but I will ask about this again when I see my GP on June 15. (Of course, when I was in his office during the " leaking " phase, my bandaids and face cloth were dry, and nothing happened after I took off the bandaid-- until I got home, of course. While this was happening, I kept thinking I should go to a clinic or hospital where they could take a swab/sample but I am terrified of picking up an infection while I wait with the general (sick) public -- and I am kind of glad I didn't go as it's just become public news that the hospital ER I would have gone to now officially has an outbreak of C-difficle; h owever, that began a couple of weeks ago . .. and new cases are coming in as well as discharged patients returning with symptoms.

" Good news " : I finally started the Remicade protocol this past Tuesday -- all went well at the clinic (I laughed when I read some of the posts about the recliners--my clinic is blue), but I did get a lingering headache through Wed, and since Wednesday have experienced periods of nausea and a few bouts of diarraeah (??spelling??). I believe these are rather common side effects of the drug, and am not concerned; nothing that can't cope with.

But the weird thing, (I always seem to have something odd/unusual happen) is with my left knee: the left leg/side of my body is most affected by disease, so this could be a neurosarc flare-up and not the remicade -- anyhow, yesterday I developed a raised, swollen lump on the upper, inside of my knee, that started off about two inches in diameter and is now three or so inches, that is very painful to touch; there is a red perimeter -- but not hot to touch or anything, and the redness has extended up my leg, almost to groin -- sort of along a vein -- again, not hot, nor do I have a fever. But these areas are very painful to touch and tender, while rest of leg -- except for ankle, is OK. Walking is very painful, too.

Have had different types of flare-ups in left leg before that mimic DVT, and I have Baker's cyst that acts up, but this is a new one!

I have a call in to my Remicade rep/RN but again, want to stay away from hospital and clinic waiting rooms because I don't want to just get put on antibitotic by an ER doc trying to clear beds and perhaps ruin the Remicade protocol I've waited six months to start . ..

Anyhow, thanks for the advice/suggestion, and again, I will talk to my doc(s) again about Gout, just to be sure. . . .

Sincerely,'

To: Neurosarcoidosis From: conaugusta@...Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:39:06 -0700

Subject: Re: Nerve Conduction Study

To: neurosarcoidosis

Sent: Wed, June 1, 2011 12:54:53 PMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study 

No, Rose, I've had many done prior to this; the same neurologist performed testing twice last year in the early stages of my diagnosis; (she was first to suspect neurosarc) but even though I had severe edema at that time, I did not " leak " then.

It was a fluid thicker than water, but not viscous, and just slightly off-clear -- a bit yellowish. It was the strangest thing, and as the Dr noted, a real nuisance, especially at bedtime or when I wanted to go out. But it's finally stopped; took just over a week before I could take off bandaid and move about without a  " surprise " . . .

Even Dr really didn't know, and admitted it was  " not normal " -- but she didn't believe it was cause for concern. So -- for other members of the group, if you  " spring a leak " following EMG testing, you can count  yourself into an even more " rare " group than the one to which we already belong -- and chalk the experience up to just another day in the odd and surprising life of a neurosarc " pwerhouse " :)

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 01:11:26 -0400

Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study, that is really weird.  It was just fluid, not blood?  I've never heard of that.  Was that the first EMG you've had?

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator

A merry heart is good medicine.  Proverbs 17:22 

To: neurosarcoidosis From: wluce50@...Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:14:35 +0000

Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyHello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had  " sprung a leak " !!

I was eating dinner, and ended up with a  " soaker "  -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.

I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said -- " It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious " . . . 

Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was " dry at night " ; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .

Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect? 

To: neurosarcoidosis From: mamadogrose@...Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:53 -0400

Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyI don't remember if I had that test done.  I've had EMG's, but they didn't involve the prongs.  At least it's over & brought good news.  Hopefully, you'll never have to do it again!

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator

A merry heart is good medicine.  Proverbs 17:22 

> To: Neurosarcoidosis > From: denise@...

> Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:30:47 +1000> Subject: Nerve Conduction Study> > I've just had my nerve conduction study done, and all my results are normal, thankfully! So that provides a good baseline.

> It wasn't very pleasant to have done, the electric shocks are quite uncomfortable, but the most painful bit for me was when they pushed the electrodes (2 blunt metal prongs in a handle) hard into my ankle and leg and elbow ... anyway, it didn't take long, and is all over now!

> > xo > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-

> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.

> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

, here's another nurse advising you to get that skin lesion checked out. You are right to worry about c. dif, but MRSA can be very serious. Two of my grandkids have had MRSA that started from small bumps & progressed to cellulitis (large area of inflammation; very painful). Let us know how it goes.

To: Neurosarcoidosis From: mebramer@...Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 11:10:56 -0600Subject: Re: Nerve Conduction Study

, I found that if I didn't come home and rest/nap I would get a headache, also really push the water after your treatment, I learned that did help the headache too, like I would drink water during the infusion, and like two water bottles right after. I too got diarrhea in the beginning, really bad. but it got better after awhile, don't remember just how long? Then when we increased the dosage, I got it again but not as long. As for the bump around the knee, YOU should really have it checked out, see if you can get into your doctor, or do you have to go to the emergency room? I would have a doc check it out, don't like the sound of it getting bigger, and the red streak, even if it's not warm to the touch, it's not normal. I too have more left side involvement, from the top of my head to my toes. But do get the bump check, let us know what you find out, or what the RN says about it. (I'm an RN too, and I would tell you to get it checked, oh guess I already did, sorry:) Marla "Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours." - Irish Proverb

Connie: no to the gout (have regular bloodwork done and been to podiatrist, GP (Family Dr) recently and regularly who watch for this and diabetes. And I tested negative for Gout in the past . . but I will ask about this again when I see my GP on June 15. (Of course, when I was in his office during the "leaking" phase, my bandaids and face cloth were dry, and nothing happened after I took off the bandaid-- until I got home, of course. While this was happening, I kept thinking I should go to a clinic or hospital where they could take a swab/sample but I am terrified of picking up an infection while I wait with the general (sick) public -- and I am kind of glad I didn't go as it's just become public news that the hospital ER I would have gone to now officially has an outbreak of C-difficle; h owever, that began a couple of weeks ago . .. and new cases are coming in as well as discharged patients returning with symptoms. "Good news": I finally started the Remicade protocol this past Tuesday -- all went well at the clinic (I laughed when I read some of the posts about the recliners--my clinic is blue), but I did get a lingering headache through Wed, and since Wednesday have experienced periods of nausea and a few bouts of diarraeah (??spelling??). I believe these are rather common side effects of the drug, and am not concerned; nothing that can't cope with.But the weird thing, (I always seem to have something odd/unusual happen) is with my left knee: the left leg/side of my body is most affected by disease, so this could be a neurosarc flare-up and not the remicade -- anyhow, yesterday I developed a raised, swollen lump on the upper, inside of my knee, that started off about two inches in diameter and is now three or so inches, that is very painful to touch; there is a red perimeter -- but not hot to touch or anything, and the redness has extended up my leg, almost to groin -- sort of along a vein -- again, not hot, nor do I have a fever. But these areas are very painful to touch and tender, while rest of leg -- except for ankle, is OK. Walking is very painful, too.Have had different types of flare-ups in left leg before that mimic DVT, and I have Baker's cyst that acts up, but this is a new one!I have a call in to my Remicade rep/RN but again, want to stay away from hospital and clinic waiting rooms because I don't want to just get put on antibitotic by an ER doc trying to clear beds and perhaps ruin the Remicade protocol I've waited six months to start . .. Anyhow, thanks for the advice/suggestion, and again, I will talk to my doc(s) again about Gout, just to be sure. . . .Sincerely,'

To: Neurosarcoidosis From: conaugusta@...Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:39:06 -0700Subject: Re: Nerve Conduction Study

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Wed, June 1, 2011 12:54:53 PMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study No, Rose, I've had many done prior to this; the same neurologist performed testing twice last year in the early stages of my diagnosis; (she was first to suspect neurosarc) but even though I had severe edema at that time, I did not "leak" then.It was a fluid thicker than water, but not viscous, and just slightly off-clear -- a bit yellowish. It was the strangest thing, and as the Dr noted, a real nuisance, especially at bedtime or when I wanted to go out. But it's finally stopped; took just over a week before I could take off bandaid and move about without a "surprise" . . .Even Dr really didn't know, and admitted it was "not normal" -- but she didn't believe it was cause for concern. So -- for other members of the group, if you "spring a leak" following EMG testing, you can count yourself into an even more "rare" group than the one to which we already belong -- and chalk the experience up to just another day in the odd and surprising life of a neurosarc "pwerhouse" :)

To: neurosarcoidosis From: wluce50@...Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:14:35 +0000Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyHello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

Guest guest

please see somebody about that leg, I got cellulitis one time, the leg just swoll up and got red. That does not sound good and the fact that it is running upward is not something to play with. I hate hospitals too, but that sounds serious. take care

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Fri, June 3, 2011 10:38:39 AMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

Connie: no to the gout (have regular bloodwork done and been to podiatrist, GP (Family Dr) recently and regularly who watch for this and diabetes. And I tested negative for Gout in the past . . but I will ask about this again when I see my GP on June 15. (Of course, when I was in his office during the "leaking" phase, my bandaids and face cloth were dry, and nothing happened after I took off the bandaid-- until I got home, of course. While this was happening, I kept thinking I should go to a clinic or hospital where they could take a swab/sample but I am terrified of picking up an infection while I wait with the general (sick) public -- and I am kind of glad I didn't go as it's just become public news that the hospital ER I would have gone to now officially has an outbreak of C-difficle; h owever, that began a couple of weeks ago . .. and new cases are coming in as well as discharged patients

returning with symptoms. "Good news": I finally started the Remicade protocol this past Tuesday -- all went well at the clinic (I laughed when I read some of the posts about the recliners--my clinic is blue), but I did get a lingering headache through Wed, and since Wednesday have experienced periods of nausea and a few bouts of diarraeah (??spelling??). I believe these are rather common side effects of the drug, and am not concerned; nothing that can't cope with.But the weird thing, (I always seem to have something odd/unusual happen) is with my left knee: the left leg/side of my body is most affected by disease, so this could be a neurosarc flare-up and not the remicade -- anyhow, yesterday I developed a raised, swollen lump on the upper, inside of my knee, that started off about two inches in diameter and is now three or so inches, that is very painful to touch; there is a red perimeter -- but not hot to touch or anything, and the

redness has extended up my leg, almost to groin -- sort of along a vein -- again, not hot, nor do I have a fever. But these areas are very painful to touch and tender, while rest of leg -- except for ankle, is OK. Walking is very painful, too.Have had different types of flare-ups in left leg before that mimic DVT, and I have Baker's cyst that acts up, but this is a new one!I have a call in to my Remicade rep/RN but again, want to stay away from hospital and clinic waiting rooms because I don't want to just get put on antibitotic by an ER doc trying to clear beds and perhaps ruin the Remicade protocol I've waited six months to start . .. Anyhow, thanks for the advice/suggestion, and again, I will talk to my doc(s) again about Gout, just to be sure. . . .Sincerely,'

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Wed, June 1, 2011 12:54:53 PMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study No, Rose, I've had many done prior to this; the same neurologist performed testing twice last year in the early stages of my diagnosis; (she was first to suspect neurosarc) but even though I had severe edema at that time, I did not "leak" then.It was a fluid thicker than water, but not viscous, and just slightly off-clear -- a bit yellowish. It was the strangest thing, and as the Dr noted, a real nuisance, especially at bedtime or when I wanted to go out. But it's finally stopped; took just over a week before I could take off bandaid and move about without a "surprise" . . .Even Dr really didn't know, and admitted it was "not normal" -- but she didn't believe it was cause for concern. So -- for other members of the group, if you "spring a leak" following EMG testing, you can count yourself into an even more "rare" group than the one to which we already

belong -- and chalk the experience up to just another day in the odd and surprising life of a neurosarc "pwerhouse" :)

To: neurosarcoidosis From: wluce50@...Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:14:35 +0000Subject: RE: Nerve Conduction StudyHello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . .

.. I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?

Guest guest

You know you might have a plan there. I don't worry about it though, the pred has messed up my skin so bad if I did lose much weight I would look like I was melting. The skin got soft, then it tore like stretch marks. If I lost much I would need a good plastic surgeon, and someone to pay him.

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Fri, June 3, 2011 10:40:28 AMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study

Connie: I think the "diet" water recommended yesterday would be an effective treatment for this problem; I will follow up and let all know. :)

To: Neurosarcoidosis From: conaugusta@...Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:31:49 -0700Subject: Re: Nerve Conduction Study

To: neurosarcoidosis Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 9:14:35 AMSubject: RE: Nerve Conduction Study Hello all: I just recently (week ago Friday) had nerve conduction/EMG testing done by my neurologist -- and by that evening I had "sprung a leak"!!I was eating dinner, and ended up with a "soaker" -- a shoe filled with fluid, that I at first thought was the result of something I had spilled, but later realized it was because my leg was dripping out, like a small fountain almost, where the pins were pushed in: there were about 4 or 5 spots at first, then as time went on, just two, then one.I spent a whole weekend wrapping my lower leg in bath towels and plastic bags, day and night, and changing frequently. I contacted my Dr who said --"It's not normal, and I've never heard of this, but I don't think it's serious . . . I think it's a combination of me putting pins into an area filled with fluid (I have a serious water retention problem, especially legs and feet); it's

probably more of a nuisance than anything serious" . . . Slightly reassured, I was able to get down to bandaids by last Tuesday, and by Wednesday was "dry at night"; and since last Thursday, almost a full week afterwards, I have had only very slight leaks during the day . . .Has anyone else ever experienced this as a side effect?