RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Answering more ? including my Laser notes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Rita, thank u so much.. And typing those words is not enough thank u. May God bless more and more each day....Sent from my iPhone

Since I've been asked off-list 2x for more laser info, I thought I'd also put the info up to the group. Below is a copy of one of the off-list exchanges which is the easiest way for me to get you the info...sorry for the jeapardy, I did not have his permission to post his e-mail to me...each item you see answers to are items he directly inquired of me about:

----------

Re: Great Post - More Info Please

R,

Surfactants: Immusist are natural food grade surfactants (over 80) that I have found to be very effective in helping my son (as you see from some of my more recent posts some of our experiences). As mentioned on-list the surfactants oxygenate, hydrate & reduce the surface tension of the cells. Surfactants are used in many rx forms, including to increase the survivability of premature babies. Through PUBMED research information you will find that surfactants are anti-viral, anti-bacterial & good immune support. The properties in Immusist, with over 80 surfactants which are specifically chosen for their benefitial properties to the body, make it very safe & effective in "turning on" & support the immune system. My family, and many in our WA Biomed recovery group have been successfully using them for over a year now.

Kangen: As stated in my post, my friend has the Kangen Water made by Enagic (http://www.enagic.com/) which is the best of these types of units. I have a bunch of info that I can dig up for you from A LOT of research I did on it a few years ago. If you would like to talk w/my friend that is a distributer I would be happy to connect you up as I trust this person & her high knowledge level...over the years she's worked w/our docs, treats some in our ASD group, is the RN that trained w/our Herbalist & knows A LOT about the Kangen. BTW, as a research scientist our Herbalist actually went to Japan to the hospital that uses only Kangen through all their water faucets....he said their healing success rate is amazing at this hospital through diet, reducing the toxin load on the patient & Kangens alkalized, ionized & micro-clustered water.

Lasers: About the lasers, I also have quite a bit of info from the research project that I did several years ago prior to my investing in the laser treatments for my sons neurological regeneration. QN is Quantum Neurology (uses the GRT lasers..Great Stuff...see here for more):

http://quantumneurology.com/

The Scalar laser is what our Herbalist that received his PhD in lasers used as one of his top recommendations (he also uses a highly concentrated laser for his acupuncture (it's great for our kids as it does not penetrate the skin as a needle would...yet goes deeper & is more effective than a needle). This laser also has many organ supporting settings & other highly benefitial uses:

http://www.scalarwavelasers.com/scalar-laser.html

In my laser research there were so many benefits to help our kids, from it's cellular support, reduced inflamation & neurological regeneration including uses by NASA for 1st line injury support to wound healing in military submarines to helping stroke victums. Lasers have many highly substantiated uses....they just haven't got a lot of press as to the benefits transfer to our ASD children.

----------

Copy of Notes I took during the research I did on lasers as I was desiding whether we should invest in this therapy w/. We had limited funds w/specific goals to try & help keep him in his area school..a tall order w/little time. As I mentioned, it did improve him to the point that he successfully stayed. I spent many months, night after night researching instead of sleeping to help us make a wise decision.

While the lasers were not specified for ASD use...I could see the properties that could benefit him. What also might be of interest to you, my small home laser really helped one of the moms in our recovery group with her swollen/inflammed absessed tooth (her 2nd round of antibiotics left her still with a swollen lump & in pain...45 min on my little home laser & we watched the lump sebstantially subside & she felt better than she had in 2 weeks:

Here's some of the specific properties that I pulled from the notes that I was particularly interested in w/his biomedical recovery:

* "Nearly 2000 different investigations from over eighty countries on the effect of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) on humans and animals have been published in the medical literature"

* "Cells exposed to LED light in this range have been found to grow 150% to 200% faster than cells not given and LED "bath" because, in simple terms, the light arrays speed up the healing process by increasing energy inside the cells." (My Note...THIS one spoke loudly to me);

* "the LEDs boost energy to the cells and accelerate healing." ;

* "wound with poor blood or oxygen supply"

* "LEDs also grow human muscle and skin cells up to five times faster than normal."

* "DNA synthesis in fibroblasts and muscle cells has been quintupled using NASA LED light alone, in a single application "

"The light is absorbed by mitochondria where it stimulates energy metabolism in muscle and bone, as well as skin and subcutaneous tissue"

"Central nervous system regeneration would be of particular benefit"

""Near infrared (IR) light has documented benefits promoting wound healing in human and animal studies. Our preliminary results have also demonstrated two to five-fold increases in growth-phase-specific DNA synthesis in normal fibroblasts, muscle cells, osteoblasts, and mucosal epithelial cells in tissue cultures treated with near-IR light.;

* "Biologists have found that cells exposed to near-infrared light — that is, energy just outside the visible range — from LEDs grow 150 to 200 percent faster than those cells not stimulated by such light. The light arrays increase energy inside cells that speed up the healing process."

*"in mitochondrial energy production and antioxidant cellular protection";

* "increasing cellular ATP;

* "promotes regeneration and functional recovery and alters the immune response after spinal cord injury"

* " LLLT accelerated collateral circulation and enhanced microcirculation";

* "accelerates collateral circulation and enhances microcirculation";

* In stroke victums, "a marked and significant improvement in neurological deficits" (of note, Rita D & I have an incredible personal testimony witnessing a surgeon's stroke rehab at a conference)

* "The literature shows that among different therapeutic effects of laser emission, the most studied are neurotropic, methabolic, immunomodulating, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory as well as its ability to stimulate the regeneration of wounds and bones. The authors stressed on biostimulative effect of laser therapy";

* reducing inflammation (major issue in our ASD kids);

* "demonstrated two- to five-fold increases in growth-phase-specific DNA synthesis in normal fibroblasts, muscle cells, osteoblasts, and mucosal epithelial cells in tissue cultures (Whelan et al., 2001)";

* "about 50% of near-infrared light is absorbed by mitochondrial chromophores such as cgtochrome c oxidase";

* NASA is using lasers to "stimulate the little engine in every cell, which is the mitochondria"

------------------------------------

Below is a copy of the entire research paper notes done in 2009:

Laser Notes Combined - Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT)

Rev 7/26/09

Notes -Cold Laser:

http://www.nasa.gov/

Search enter "light emitting diode", link is:

http://search.nasa.gov/search/search.jsp?nasaInclude=light+emitting+diode

NASA site - Warp 10 Commercial

Marshall Space Flight Center, 1998 Phase II, WARP 10 Light-Emitting Diode (LED) Quantum Devices, Inc.

- http://sbir.gsfc.nasa.gov/SBIR/successes/ss/8-066text.html

NASA site:

"The WARP 10 has received FDA clearance as safe and effective for its intended use. Product offering is currently available through the QDI Web page at: www.quantumdev.com. "

- Emerson Worldwide: http://www.emersonww.com/InfraredTherapy.htm

FDA approval letter on the site.

http://www.emersonww.com/LowLevelLaser_Humans.htm

http://www.emersonww.com/

2) Low-Level (Cold)Laser Therapy:What is Laser Therapy?

(LLLT) has been widely used in Europe for over thirty five years in addition to being the subject of numerous studies with over 3,500 scientific papers published worldwide. There have been no reported side effects to LLLT treatments, which are painless and non-toxic.

People worldwide are realizing the benefits of LLLT more than ever before and at the same time, American consumers are increasingly interested in alternative treatments. The LLLT used in the TerraQuant is non-invasive and without any known side effects.

For a long time now L.A.S.E.R. (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) was an acronym and today a word of common use. The word LASER is the name of a device that projects intense radiation of the light spectrum. It produces a beam of light in which high energies can be concentrated. Laser light has unique physical properties, which no ordinary light has. The unique properties of coherence and monochromaticity are the key to why laser light is so effective compared to other kinds of light in pain reduction and healing. Laser therapy, also known as phototherapy and low level laser therapy, involves the application of low power coherent light to injuries and lesions to stimulate healing and reduce pain. It is used to increase the speed, quality and strength of tissue repair, resolve inflammation and give pain relief. Laser therapy has been found to offer superior healing and pain relieving effects compared to other electrotherapeutic modalities such as ultrasound, especially in chronic problems and in the early stages of acute injuries. Laser therapy is a complete system of treating muscle, tendon, ligament, connective tissue, bone, nerve, and dermal tissues in a non-invasive, drug-free modality.

How does it work?

Lasers can strengthen damaged cells. Using photochemical processes, laser light inserts bio-photons into damaged cells. The cells begin to produce energy (ATP), which improves their function, assists their division, strengthens the body's immune system, and causes the secretion of various hormones. The tissues are healed, and pain disappears. If damaged cells have died, the bio-photons help the division of neighbouring cells, generating new tissues, and thus bring about healing.

• LLLT promotes healing in many conditions because it penetrates the skin, increases the ATP and activates enzymes in the targeted cells.

• Growth factor response within the cells and tissue as a result of increased ATP and protein synthesis.

• Improved cell proliferation.

• Pain relief as a result of increased endorphin release.

• Strengthening the immune system response via increasing levels of lymphocyte activity.

4) Infrared Light Therapy

http://www.emersonww.com/InfraredTherapy.htm

- Studies have proven that Infrared Light brings wound healing and pain relief for scars, arthritis, fibromyalgia, sprains, headaches, diabetic ulcers, neuralgia, bursitis, sinsusitis, tennis elbow, TMJ, Carpal Tunnel, inflammation, edema, skin care, and the list goes on and on. It is often administered to prevent scar tissue formation, inflammation, and degenerative osteoarthritis.See Before & After photos of ulcers and bruises. Latest studies are on Alzheimers and dementia patients.

- Light therapy has been shown in over 40 years of independent research worldwide to deliver powerful therapeutic benefits to living tissues and organisms. Both visible and infrared light have been shown to effect at least 24 different positive changes at a cellular level. Visible light penetrates tissue to a depth of about 8-10 mm. It is very beneficial in treating problems close to the surface such as wounds, cuts, scars, trigger and acupuncture points and is particularly effective in treating infections. Infrared light (904nm) penetrates to a depth of about 30-40mm which makes it more effective for bones, joints, deep muscle, etc.

Depth of penetration is defined as the depth at which 60% of the light is absorbed by the tissue, while 40% of the light will continue to be absorbed in a manner that is less fully understood. Treating points with light can have a dramatic effect on remote and internal areas of the body through the stimulation of nerves, acupuncture and trigger points that perform function not unlike transmission cables.

The technology is now becoming accepted and widely used in human medicine as well. Light therapy stimulates the natural healing power in the cells of the body. This tool uses the energy of light, called photon energy, to stimulate the activity of certain cell components. By using photo energy, you have a simple, effective, non-pharmacological medical alternative. Conservative management of acute and chronic injuries and postoperative wounds has come to include the use of photo energy because it is quickly effective, cost effective, and easy to administer.

Future LED Applications

Much research is underway on the use of medical LED therapy to determine whether there are other applications for light therapy. "Research is currently being done on the different effects of different spectrums of light on living tissues," says Braden. It is thought that the visible red spectrum, which is roughly in the 600 to 700 nanometer range, is effective with surface issues such as wound care and that higher wavelengths, including infrared, are more penetrating. Studies also suggest that going down to the 400 or 500 nanometer spectrum, which is blue light, might be effective for treating skin disorders including acne and scarring.

"We've already seen how using LEDs can improve a bone-marrow transplant patient's quality of life," said Dr. Harry Whelan, professor of neurology, pediatrics and hyperbaric medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin . "These trials will hopefully help us take the next steps to provide this as a standard of care for this ailment."

"Companies in this business are looking at the medical research that is being conducted regarding different frequencies of light to see where this technology might take us," says Braden. He foresees wound care as being the next big application. "You can expect over the next few years to see LED therapy as being the primary treatment for wounds such as post-surgical and non-healing wounds like diabetic ulcers." Whelan and Ignatius say they would like to test their technology in other clinical situations such as spinal cord injuries and for treatment of Parkinson's disease, strokes, brain tumors, and tissue and organ regeneration."It may seem strange to some people because it is very much a change in the whole paradigm of medicine, which has been pretty much poisons and knives up until this point. The use of natural energy at an intensity that is brighter than the sun, but still nonetheless near infrared light at wavelengths that are helpful and not harmful, to enhance the cells' natural biochemistry truly has a lot of potential in the medical arena," says Whelan.

- Because lasers were used in early research, we see names such as low level laser, infrared laser, cold laser, low level light laser, and low power laser where we read about photon therapy. The term laser therapy is not all together appropriate for the photon therapy used today. Remember what is important is the type of energy produced which creates the biological effect. Bear in mind it is the interaction of light photons and molecules within the cell that creates cellular activity. LED's will penetrate just as deep as a laser. Once the laser enters the skin it is no longer a columated beam of light so it does the same as the LED's except the LED's have a wider viewing angle and cover a larger area than a single laser beam.

-LASER LIGHT VS LIGHT EMITTING DIODES (LED)

When this therapy reached the U.S. and Canada , both lasers and light-emitting diodes at 660 nanometers were being used. The LED diffuses; the single frequency laser does not. With this diffusion, the cell can actually be in control of the treatment and shut off the molecules when it was done. But with the laser, the cells are no longer in control; the doctor or the practitioner applying the laser is in control. If he does it too long or with too much strength, you would not only heal the tissue, but you would start a deterioration again. So basically, the use of light-emitting diodes eliminated the draw back of lasers, and light could be applied into such sensitive areas as the eyes and around the face. LEDs allowed this whole area to blossom into a much larger usage by average people in their homes. Tiina Karu, Ph.D. of the Laser Technology Center in Russia, and affiliated with the University of California at Berkely, probably the top researcher in the world on the use of lasers and light emitting diodes published a study in Health and Physics Digest called "Photobiological Effects of Lasers" which discusses photobiological stimulation without laser light. The article explains that you can do laser treatment without using laser light, by using light emitting diodes which are much safer. Since the cells are basically in control of the process, there is no way to overuse light.

- Facts about Wavelengths/frequencies/colors

"The different types of tissue and cell types in the body all have their own particular light absorption values and characteristics. These tissue and cells will only absorb light at specific wavelengths."

"Although both visible and infrared wavelengths penetrate the tissue to different depths and affect the tissues differently, their therapeutic effects are similar."

Wavelengths

Infrared - 950 nm

Red - 660 nm

Yellow - 590 nm

Orange - 612 nm

Green - 574 nm

Blue - 465 nm

Purple - 420 nm - VersaLite only

Visible red light, at wavelengths from 630 to 700 nm penetrates tissue to a depth of about 10 mm(just over 3/8"). Light at this wavelength is very beneficial in treating problems close to the surface such as wounds, cuts, scars, trigger and acupuncture points, and is particularly effective in treating infections. Infrared light (800 to 1000nm) penetrates to a depth of about 40mm( approximately 1.6") and deeper which makes it more effective for treating organs and provide relief for ailments of bones, joints, deep muscle tissue.

The diverse tissue and cell types in the body all have their own unique light absorption characteristics; that is, they will only absorb light at specific wavelengths and not at others. For example, skin layers, because of their high blood and water content, absorb red light very readily, while calcium and phosphorus absorb light of a different wavelength. Although both red and infrared wavelengths penetrate to different depths and affect tissues differently, the therapeutic effects are similar.

Superluminous LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) are safe concentrated light sources used to produce the specific wavelengths of light that provide therapeutic benefits of light therapy without adverse side effects.

WAVELENGTH OF CELL TISSUE

The University of Chicago researchers discovered that the average wavelength of cell tissue in the human body ranged between 600 nanometers and 720 nm; 660 is the mid-point.

Excellent studies have been done using light for pain relief, degenerative osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel tendonitis, skin ailments, acne, psoriasis, healing of the sinus cells, throat and ear problems, whiplash and lower back problems.

PENETRATING THROUGH THE BLOOD STREAM

You can even get light into the blood stream. One of the best ways is through your belly button, because the aorta artery is behind the belly button. So if you insert the light there for 20 minutes, every drop of blood in the body will pass in front of the light, increasing the activity of your white cells, red cells, B-cells and T-cells, so you can boost your whole immune system.

Why do we use different wavelengths/colors? "Because of the green lights and the frequencies of the red and infrared lights, and in some models also orange and yellow, when you place it on a sore spot, you or your animal may feel a sort of tingling sensation just as you leg waking up from being asleep. The blood flow is actually increasing."

The red and infrared diodes are absorbed by the skin, muscles, tissues, bone as well as working at the physical cellular level.

The green diodes are absorbed by the Bio-Electro-Magnetic Energy Field (E-Field) which surrounds the body. It is here that the stress and strain build up and develop into "weak spots." If these spots are not eliminated from the E-Field, eventually under hard work or performance pressure they can become problem areas. Green is also considered a master color and has reported usefulness as an anti-inflammatory as well as for painful joints and allergies.

The orange light is considered a rejuvenating color. It can help with muscle cramps and boosts energy in the lungs and stomach.

The yellow lights can be great stimulants for the sensory and motor nervous system, as well as toning muscles. It helps to increase your energy state. It, reportedly, helps relieve arthritis pain and improves the lymphatic system.

The blue lights are believed to be contractors and restrictors.They have reportedly helped with inflammation, burns, headaches, fever, etc., as well as provided a calming and relaxing effect. The blue lights are available in the switchable model.

The purple lights are FDS cleared for acne, and are great for tightening pores. These are in our VersaLite 5 unit.

There are many other colors that are used in color therapy, however, we feel at this time the combination we have developed are appropriate for general use.The "warm colors" are of positive polarity and the "cool" colors are of the negative polarity.

Nearly 2000 different investigations from over eighty countries on the effect of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) on humans and animals have been published in the medical literature.

- http://www.laser.nu/

- Quantum Neurology docs – nervous system (motor & sensory deficits) w/cold laser

grtseminars.com http://www.quantumneurology.com/ .

PubMed:

This message contains search results from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM). Do not reply directly to this message

Sent on: Thu Feb 14 10:45:01 2008

Entrez PubMed Results Items 1 -12 of 12

179209251: J Photochem Photobiol B. 2007 Nov 12;89(1):50-5. Epub 2007 Sep 6.Related Articles, Substance (MeSH Keyword),

Anti-inflammatory effects of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) with two different red wavelengths (660 nm and 684 nm) in carrageenan-induced rat paw edema.

Albertini R, Villaverde AB , Aimbire F, Salgado MA, Bjordal JM, Alves LP, Munin E, Costa MS.

Instituto de Pesquisa & Desenvolvimento, IP & D, Universidade do Vale do Para'ba, UNIVAP, Av. Shishima Hifumi, 2911, CEP: 12244-000 S‹o JosŽ dos Campos , SP, Brazil .

It has been suggested that low-level laser therapy (LLLT) can modulate inflammatory processes. The aim of this experiment was to investigate what effects red laser irradiation with two different wavelengths (660

nm and 684 nm) on carrageenan-induced rat paw edema and histology.

Thirty two male Wistar rats were randomly divided into four groups. One group received a sterile saline injection, while inflammation was induced by a sub-plantar injection of carrageenan (1 mg/paw) in the

three other groups. After 1 h, LLLT was administered to the paw in two of the carrageenan-injected groups. Continuous wave 660 nm and 684 nm red lasers respectively with mean optical outputs of 30 mW and doses of 7.5 J/cm(2) were used. The 660 nm and 684 nm laser groups developed significantly (p<0.01) less edema (0.58 ml [sE+/-0.17] ml and 0.76 ml [sE+/-0.10] respectively) than the control group (1.67 ml [sE+/-0.19]) at 4h after injections. Similarly, both laser groups showed a significantly lower number of inflammatory cells in the muscular and conjunctive sub-plantar tissues than the control group. We conclude that

both 660 nm and 684 nm red wavelengths of LLLT are effective in reducing edema formation and inflammatory cell migration when a dose of 7.5 J/cm(2) is used.

Publication Types:Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't PMID: 17920925 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

----------------------------------------------------------

176784912: Expert Rev Neurother. 2007 Aug;7(8):961-5. Related Articles, LinkOut

Laser treatment for stroke.

Lampl Y. Edith Wolfson Medical Center , Department of Neurology, Holon , Israel . y_lampl@...

Low-level laser therapy is an irradiation technique that has the ability to induce biological processes using photon energy. There are studies showing proliferation and angiogenesis after irradiation in skeletal muscle post-myocardial infarction tissue cells. Most evidence of efficacy is based on the increase in energy state and the activation of mitochondrial pathways. In the brain, there is similar evidence ofcellular activity with laser irradiation. In vivo studies reinforced the efficacy of this technique for a better neurological and functional outcome post-stroke. The evidence is based on in vivo animal studies of various models and one human clinical study. Although the data is very promising, some fundamental questions remain to be answered, such as the exact mechanism along the cascade of post-stroke interconnective molecular disturbance, the optimal technique and time of treatment, and the long-term safety aspects. The answers to these questions are expected to evolve within the next few years.

Publication Types: Review PMID: 17678491 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

176075463: Inflamm Res. 2007 Jun;56(6):228-9.

Related Articles, CoreNucleotide (RefSeq), Gene, Gene (GeneRIF), HomoloGene, Nucleotide (RefSeq), Protein (RefSeq), Substance (MeSH Keyword), Taxonomy via GenBank, UniGene, GEO Profiles, LinkOut

COX-2 mRNA expression decreases in the subplantar muscle of rat paw subjected to carrageenan-induced inflammation after low level laser therapy.

Albertini R, Aimbire F, Villaverde AB, Silva JA Jr, Costa MS. IP & D - UNIVAP, Av, Shishima Hifumi 2911, CEP: 12244-000, S‹o JosŽ dos Campos, Brazil.

OBJECTIVE AND DESIGN: Low level laser therapy (LLLT) has been presented as a novel therapy to treat inflammation. Herein we studied the effect of LLLT on the COX-2 mRNA expression in subplantar tissue taken from rats treated with carrageenan. MATERIAL: The groups consisted of 32 rats: A(1) (Saline), A(2) (Carrageenan), A(3) (Carrageenan + laser 660 nm) and A(4) (Carrageenan + laser 684 nm). TREATMENT: A(3) and A(4) were irradiated in the first hour after carrageenan. METHODS: The edema was measured by a plethysmometer and COX-2 mRNA was by RT-PCR. Statistical were evaluated by ANOVA and Tukey-Kramer Test. RESULTS: Carrageenan increased both edema (A 1)= 0.6 +/- 0.04 vs. A(2)= 2.24 +/- 0.08) and COX-2 mRNA (A(1)= 1.1 +/- 0.26 vs. A(2)= 3.52 +/- 0.69). Irradiation reduced the edema (A(3)= 0.84 +/- 0.09; A(4)= 1.31 +/- 0.05) and the COX-2 mRNA (A(3)= 2.16 +/- 0.28; A(4)= 1.86 +/- 0.20).

CONCLUSION: LLLT reduce the expression of COX-2 mRNA.

Publication Types:Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 17607546 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

175088464: Photomed Laser Surg. 2007 Apr;25(2):107-11. Related Articles, LinkOut

Promotion of regenerative processes in injured peripheral nerve induced by low-level laser therapy.

Mohammed IF, Al-Mustawfi N, Kaka LN. Department of Anatomy, Al-Kindy Medical College , Baghdad University , Baghdad , Iraq . ihsan20042002@...

OBJECTIVE: This study aimed to assess in vitro the influence of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) on the regenerative processes of a peripheral nerve after trauma. BACKGROUND DATA: In peripheral nerve injury initiated after severing due to accident or by a surgeon during operation, photomodulation by light in the red to near-infrared range (530-1000 nm) using low-energy lasers has been shown to accelerate nerve regeneration. METHOD: Twenty-four New Zealand adult male rabbits were randomly assigned to two equal groups (control and laser-treated).

General anesthesia was administered intramuscularly, and exploration of the peroneal nerve was done in the lateral aspect of the left leg. Complete section of the nerve was performed, which was followed by suturing of the neural sheath (epineurium). Irradiation was carried out directly after the operation and for 10 consecutive days. The laser used was diode with wavelength of 901 nm (impulsive) and power of 10 mW; it

was a square-shaped window type (16 cm(2)), and its energy was applied by direct contact of the instrument's window to the site of the operation. Three rabbits from each group were sacrificed at the end of weeks 2, 4, 6, and 8, and specimens were collected from the site of nerve suturing and sent for histopathological examination. RESULTS: Two important factors were examined via histopathology: diameter of the nerve fibers and individual internodal length. Compared to the control group, significant variations in regeneration were observed, including thicker nerve fibers, more regular myelin layers, clearer nodes of Ranvier with absence of short nodes in the treated group. Variations between the two groups for diameter were significant for the 2(nd) week (p < 0.05), highly significant for the 4(th) and 6(th) weeks, respectively (p < 0.01), and very highly significant for the 8(th) week (p < 0.001). Variations between the two groups for internodal length were highly significant for the 2(nd) and 4(th) weeks (p < 0.01), and very highly significant for the 6(th) and 8(th) weeks (p < 0.001).

CONCLUSION: This experiment affirms the beneficial effect of LLLT on nerve regeneration, since LLLT produced a significant amount of structural and cellular change. The results of the present study suggest that laser therapy may be a viable approach for nerve regeneration, which may be of clinical relevance in scheduled surgery or microsurgery.

PMID: 17508846 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

173484065: Biofizika. 2007 Jan-Feb;52(1):137-40.

Related Articles, Compound (MeSH Keyword), Substance (MeSH Keyword), LinkOut

[Protective effect of low-power laser radiation in acute toxic stress][Article in Russian]

Novoselova EG, Glushkova OV, Khrenov MO, Chernenkov DA, Lunin SM, Novoselova TV, Chudnovskii VM, Iusupov VI, Fesenko EE.

The effect of preliminary short-term irradiation with He-Ne laser light (632.8 nm, 0.2 mW/cm2) of the thymus zone projection of male NMRI mice subjected to acute toxic stress on the responses of immune cells was studied. Stress was modeled by lipopolysaccharide injection, 250 mg/100 g of body weight, which induced a significant increase in the production of several macrophage cytokines, IL-1alpha, IL-1beta, IL-6, IL-10 and

TNF-alpha. A single irradiation with laser light did not provoke considerable variations in NO production in cells but induced an enhancement in the production of heat shock proteins Hsp25, Hsp70, and Hsp90. Nevertheless, when irradiation with red laser light was applied prior to toxic stress, considerable normalization of production of nearly all cytokines studied and nitric oxide was observed. Moreover, the normalization of production of heat shock proteins has been shown in these conditions. Thus, preliminary exposure of a small area of animal skin surface provoked a significant lowering in the toxic effect of lipopolysaccharide.

Publication Types: English Abstract Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 17348406 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

173346776: Lasers Med Sci. 2007 Nov;22(4):245-51. Epub 2007 Mar 3. Related Articles, LinkOut

The importance of coherence length in laser phototherapy of gingival inflammation: a pilot study.

Qadri T, Bohdanecka P, TunŽr J, Miranda L, Altamash M, Gustafsson A.

Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden. talat.qadri@...

The aim of this study was to investigate if coherence length is of importance in laser phototherapy. Twenty patients with moderate periodontitis were selected. After oral hygiene instructions, scaling

and root planing (SRP), one side of the upper jaw was randomly selected for HeNe (632.8 nm, 3 mW) or InGaAlP (650 nm, 3 mW) laser irradiation.

One week after SRP, the following parameters were measured: pocket depth, gingival index, plaque index, gingival crevicular fluid volume, matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-8), interleukin (IL-8) and subgingival microflora. The irradiation (180 s per point, energy 0.54 J) was then performed once a week for 6 weeks. At the follow up examination, all clinical parameters had improved significantly in both groups. A more pronounced decrease of clinical inflammation was observed after HeNe treatment. MMP-8 levels were considerably reduced on the HeNe side, while there was no difference for IL-8 or microflora. Coherence length appears to be an important factor in laser phototherapy.

PMID: 17334677 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

171002417: Lik Sprava. 2006 Jun;(4):51-7. Related Articles, LinkOut

[Clinical and experimental aspects of the treatment effect of laser irradiation] [Article in Russian]

Korpan MI, Magomedov S, Samosiuk NI, Brusko AT, Bur'ianov AA, Omel'chenko TN, Fialka-Mozer V.

The article summarizes literature data and results of the authors' studies on clinical experimental aspects of the treatment effect of laser emission. The literature shows that among different therapeutic effects of laser emission, the most studied are neurotropic, methabolic, immunomodulating, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory as well as its ability to stimulate the regeneration of wounds and bones. The authors stressed on biostimulative effect of laser therapy.

Publication Types: English AbstractPMID: 17100241 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

168945848: Lasers Surg Med. 2006 Sep;38(8):779-86. Related Articles, Substance (MeSH Keyword),

Low-level laser irradiation modulates matrix metalloproteinase activity and gene expression in porcine aortic smooth muscle cells.

Gavish L, L, Gertz SD. Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The Hebrew University, Hadassah

Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel. lilach_g@...

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: The vascular extracellular matrix is maintained by a dynamic balance between matrix synthesis and degradation. This equilibrium is disrupted in arterial pathologies such as abdominal aortic aneurysm. Low-level laser irradiation (LLLI) promotes wound healing. However, its effect on smooth muscle cells (SMCs), a central player in these responses, has not been established. The current study was designed to determine the effects of LLLI on arterial SMC proliferation, inflammatory markers, and matrix proteins.

STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS: Porcine primary aortic SMCs were irradiated with a 780 nm laser diode (1 and 2 J/cm(2)). Trypan blue exclusion assay, immunofluorescent staining for collagen I and III, Sircol assay, gelatin zymography, and RT-PCR were used to monitor proliferation; collagen trihelix formation; collagen synthesis; matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) activity, and gene expression of MMP-1,

MMP-2, tissue inhibitor of MMP-1 (TIMP-1), TIMP-2, and IL-1-beta, respectively. RESULTS: LLLI-increased SMC proliferation by 16 and 22% (1 and 2 J/cm(2), respectively) compared to non-irradiated cells (P<0.01 and P<0.0005). Immediately after LLLI, trihelices of collagen I and III appeared as perinuclear fluorescent rings. Collagen synthesis was increased twofold (2 days after LLLI: 14.3+/-3.5 microg, non-irradiated control: 6.6+/-0.7 microg, and TGF-beta stimulated control: 7.1+/-1.2 microg, P<0.05), MMP-2 activity after LLLI was augmented (over non-irradiated control) by 66+/-18% (2 J/cm(2); P<0.05), and MMP-1 gene expression upregulated. However, TIMP-2 was upregulated, and MMP-2 gene expression downregulated. IL-1-beta gene expression was reduced.

CONCLUSIONS: LLLI stimulates SMC proliferation, stimulates collagen synthesis, modulates the equilibrium between regulatory matrix remodeling enzymes, and inhibits pro-inflammatory IL-1-beta gene expression. These findings may be of therapeutic relevance for arterial diseases such as aneurysm where SMC depletion, weakened extracellular matrix, and an increase in pro-inflammatory markers are major pathologic components. © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Publication Types: Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't PMID: 16894584 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

164446979: Lasers Surg Med. 2006 Jan;38(1):70-3. Related Articles, LinkOut

Transcranial application of low-energy laser irradiation improves neurological deficits in rats following acute stroke.

Detaboada L, Ilic S, Leichliter-Martha S, Oron U, Oron A, Streeter J.

Photothera, Inc., 2260 Rutherford Road, Carlsbad, California 92008, USA.

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) has been shown to have beneficial effects on ischemic skeletal and heart muscles tissues. The aim of the present study was to approve the effectiveness of LLLT treatment at different locations on the brain in acute stroked rats. STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS: Stroke was induced in 169 rats that were divided into four groups: control non-laser and three laser-treated groups where laser was employed ipsilateral, contralateral, and both to the side of the induced stroke. Rats were tested for neurological function. RESULTS: In all three laser-treated groups, a marked and significant improvement in neurological deficits was evident at 14, 21, and 28 days post stroke relative to the non-treated group. CONCLUSIONS: These observations suggest that LLLT applied at different locations in the skull and in a rather delayed-phase post stroke effectively improves neurological function after acute stroke in rats.

Publication Types: Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't PMID: 16444697 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1596687610: J Clin Periodontol. 2005 Jul;32(7):714-9. Related Articles, Substance (MeSH Keyword),

The short-term effects of low-level lasers as adjunct therapy in the treatment of periodontal inflammation.

Qadri T, Miranda L, TunŽr J, Gustafsson A. Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden. talat.qadri@...

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this split-mouth, double-blind controlled clinical trial was to study the effects of irradiation with low-level lasers as an adjunctive treatment of inflamed gingival tissue.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Seventeen patients with moderate periodontitis were included. After clinical examination, all teeth were scaled and root planed (SRP). One week after SRP, we took samples of gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) and subgingival plaque. The laser therapy was started 1 week later and continued once a week for 6 weeks. One side of the upper jaw was treated with active laser and the other with a placebo. The test side was treated with two low-level lasers having wavelengths of 635 and 830 nm. The patients then underwent another clinical examination with sampling of GCF and plaque. The GCF samples were analysed for elastase activity, interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) and metalloproteinase-8 (MMP-8). We examined the subgingival plaque for 12 bacteria using DNA probes.

RESULTS: The clinical variables i.e. probing pocket depth, plaque and gingival indices were reduced more on the laser side than on the placebo one (p<0.01). The decrease in GCF volume was also greater on the laser side, 0, 12 microl, than on the placebo side, 0.05 microl (p=0.01). The total amount of MMP-8 increased on the placebo side but was slightly lower on the laser side (p=0.052). Elastase activity, IL-1beta concentration and the microbiological analyses showed no significant differences between the laser and placebo sides. CONCLUSION: Additional treatment with low-level lasers reduced periodontal gingival inflammation.

Publication Types: Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 15966876 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1595481711: Photomed Laser Surg. 2005 Jun;23(3):289-94.

Related Articles, Compound (MeSH Keyword), Substance (MeSH Keyword),

Low-level laser therapy accelerates collateral circulation and enhances microcirculation.

Ihsan FR. Department of Anatomy, AL-Kindy College of Medicine, University of Baghdad , Iraq .

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) on collateral circulation and microcirculation if a blood vessel is occluded.

BACKGROUND DATA: Investigators have attempted prostaglandin and ultrasound therapy to promote improvements in the vascular bed of deprived tissue after an injury, which may lead to occlusion of the blood vessels.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Thirty-four adult rabbits were used in this study, two of them considered 0-h reading group, while the rest were divided into two equal groups, with 16 rabbits each: control and those treated with LLLT. Each rabbit underwent two surgical operations; the medial aspect of each thigh was slit, the skin incised and the femoral artery exposed and ligated. The site of the operation in the treated group was irradiated directly following the operation and for 3 d after, one session daily for 10 min/session. The laser system used was a gallium-aluminum-arsenide (Ga-Al-As) diode laser with a wavelength of 904 nm and power of 10 mW. Blood samples collected from the femoral artery above the site of the ligation were sent for examination with high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) to determine the levels of adenosine, growth hormone (GH) and fibroblast growth factor (FGF). Tissue specimens collected from the site of the operation, consisting of the artery and its surrounding muscle fibers, were sent for histopathological examination to determine the fiber/capillary (F/C) ratio and capillary diameter. Blood samples and tissue specimens were collected at 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 48 and 72 h postoperatively from the animals of both groups, control and treated.

RESULTS: Rapid increases in the level of adenosine, GH, and FGF occurred. The F/C ratio and capillary diameter peaked at 12-16 h; their levels declined gradually, reaching normal values 72 h after irradiation in the treated group. Numerous collateral blood vessels proliferated the area, with marked increases in the diameters of the original blood vessels.

CONCLUSIONS: The results indicated that LLLT accelerated collateral circulation and enhanced microcirculation and seemed to be unique in the normalization of the functional features of the injured area, which could lead to occlusion of the regional blood vessels.

PMID: 15954817 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1570409812: Lasers Surg Med. 2005 Mar;36(3):171-85. Related Articles, LinkOut

Light promotes regeneration and functional recovery and alters the immune response after spinal cord injury.

Byrnes KR, Waynant RW, Ilev IK, Wu X, Barna L, K, Heckert R, Gerst H, Anders JJ. Department of Anatomy, Physiology & Genetics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda , land 20814 , USA . krb27@...

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Photobiomodulation (PBM) has been proposed as a potential therapy for spinal cord injury (SCI). We aimed to demonstrate that 810 nm light can penetrate deep into the body and promote neuronal regeneration and functional recovery.

STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS: Adult rats underwent a T9 dorsal hemisection, followed by treatment with an 810 nm, 150 mW diode laser (dosage = 1,589 J/cm2). Axonal regeneration and functional recovery were assessed using single and double label tract tracing and various locomotor tasks. The immune response within the spinal cord was also assessed. RESULTS: PBM, with 6% power penetration to the spinal cord depth, significantly increased axonal number and distance of regrowth (P < 0.001). PBM also returned aspects of function to baseline levels and significantly suppressed immune cell activation and cytokine/chemokine expression.

CONCLUTION: Our results demonstrate that light, delivered transcutaneously, improves recovery after injury and suggests that light will be a useful treatment for human SCI. Copyright 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Publication Types: Research Support , U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S. PMID: 15704098 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dr Whelan, MD (Pediatric Neurology) -Preliminary Search results:

1) Nasa.gov search results: "photons laser healing" and "Whelan Light-Emitting Diode"

Note: Dr. Whelan's NASA-funded research

Light-Emitting Diode Homepage." [http://www.mcw.edu/whelan/].

http://doctor.mcw.edu/provider.php?1623

Harry T. Whelan, MD (Pediatric Neurology)

(Patient Age Range: All) Developmental Disorders of the Central Nervous System, Epilepsy, Headaches, Neuro-Oncology, Osteomyelitis, Pediatric Neurology, Wound Healing, Brain Tumors, Light Emitting DiodeTherapy, Air and Gas Embolism, Carbon Monoxide Poisioning and Smoke Inhalation, Decompression Sickness, Radiation Tissue Damage, Burn Injury

"Dr. Whelan is Professor of Neurology, Pediatrics, and Hyperbaric Medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin. He has over ten years of experience conducting research on the use of new light technologies in the treatment of cancer and wounds. He is also Principal Investigator on the only FDA approved treatment protocol for Photodynamic Therapy of childhood cancer. His use of NASA space-based LED technology to activate cancer killing drugs has now extended further into direct effects of near infrared LED light on human growth stimulation. Potential benefits to space station astronauts and special operations forces include preventing muscle atrophy and healing wounds, including visual and neurologic wounds."

2) http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/news/releases/2003/03-199.html

&

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2003/nov/HQ_03366_clinical_trials.html

"Biologists have found that cells exposed to near-infrared light — that is, energy just outside the visible range — from LEDs grow 150 to 200 percent faster than those cells not stimulated by such light. The light arrays increase energy inside cells that speed up the healing process."

http://www.msfc.nasa.gov/news

3) This is a REALLY COOL paper from the Second International Conference on Near-Field Optical Analysis: Photodynamic Therapy & Photobiology Effects (2nd NOA) held at the Center for Advanced Space Studies (CASS) in Houston, Texas on lasers (LLLT & LILAB):

http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/TRS/_techrep/CP-2002-210786.pdf

Here are some key phrases that I've noted from the conference paper:

"The scientific presentations and discussions emphasised results of clinical and in vitro biology studies demonstrating the dramatic therapeutic effects of LLLT and LILAB."

"LILAB has direct effects on mitochondrial functions and cytochromes. Studies on cultured nerve cells indicate that LLLT stimulates regeneration of neurites in damaged retinal cells. The materials published here are expected to become milestones, forming a novel platform in biomedical photobiology."

"Furthermore, DNA synthesis in fibroblasts and muscle cells has been quintupled using NASA LED light alone, in a single application "

"The light is absorbed by mitochondria where it stimulates energy metabolism in muscle and bone, as well as skin and subcutaneous tissue"

"Central nervous system regeneration would be of particular benefit"

""Near infrared (IR) light has documented benefits promoting wound healing in human and animal studies. Our preliminary results have also demonstrated two to five-fold increases in growth-phase-specific DNA synthesis in normal fibroblasts, muscle cells, osteoblasts, and mucosal epithelial cells in tissue cultures treated with near-IR light. Our animal models treated with near-IR have included wound healing in diabetic mice and ischemic bipedical skin flap in rats. Near-IR induced a thirty percent increase in the rate of wound closure in these animal models."