RemedySpot.com

Anyone know of a sleep away facility to help teens with severe symptoms

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a teenage son who was diagnosed with Aspergers only about 3 years ago.

Unfortunately he has been extremely uncooperative about trying diet, supplements

and other natural treatments to help his severe anxiety, anger and difficulty

concentrating in school. He was always very high functioning, but now he can

barely function. He used to take all of the supplements that I gave him - but

now he refuses to take any of them. His diet is a disaster. Since he is old

enough to just run out of the house if he doesn't want to do something it is

difficult to get him to comply. He sees me as the enemy and doesn't believe that

I am trying to get him well. Therapy has not helped so far.

I fear that if I don't help him now, soon enough he will be old enough to leave

home and he will never get helped. I have been trying to find a facility that I

could send him to, perhaps for the summer, that is a controlled environment and

serves either gluten/casein free or GAPS diet and will administer supplements. I

haven't had any luck finding one. Has anyone heard of one either in this country

or elsewhere in the world? I am fearful that he will wind up in the hospital,

and psychotropic drugs will not heal him, and could make his body even more

toxic.

Any input would be most appreciated. If you don't know of any, then a prayer

would be welcome as well.

Thanks so much.

Arielle

Arielle,

I perosnally don't know of any facilities that do that, unless Kennedy Kreiger Institute or Shepard Pratt here in land do. I"m not totally sure what protocols they follow, but both are pretty reputable places, but just not sure about their outlook on the drugs vs supps. Maybe KKI more so as they are quite involved with Autsim spectrum disorders, and neurological issues. Might be worth making a phone call to them.

I can surely pray for your son, as I understand your concern for sure. Hang in there and don't give up.. you are doing all you can as a mom. That is the best that we can do for our children. They do have their free will once they arrive at a certain age. we can only pray and help guide them and hopefully they will choose the best paths.

xoxoxo

Patty T. from Baltimore.

I have a teenage son who was diagnosed with Aspergers only about 3 years ago. Unfortunately he has been extremely uncooperative about trying diet, supplements and other natural treatments to help his severe anxiety, anger and difficulty concentrating in school. He was always very high functioning, but now he can barely function. He used to take all of the supplements that I gave him - but now he refuses to take any of them. His diet is a disaster. Since he is old enough to just run out of the house if he doesn't want to do something it is difficult to get him to comply. He sees me as the enemy and doesn't believe that I am trying to get him well. Therapy has not helped so far.

I fear that if I don't help him now, soon enough he will be old enough to leave home and he will never get helped. I have been trying to find a facility that I could send him to, perhaps for the summer, that is a controlled environment and serves either gluten/casein free or GAPS diet and will administer supplements. I haven't had any luck finding one. Has anyone heard of one either in this country or elsewhere in the world? I am fearful that he will wind up in the hospital, and psychotropic drugs will not heal him, and could make his body even more toxic.

Any input would be most appreciated. If you don't know of any, then a prayer would be welcome as well.

Thanks so much.

Arielle

I was thinking Kennedy Krieger too. I don't know if they have exactly what you're looking for, but I used to work in their children's inpatient unit for severe developmental disorders many years ago as a patient helper, and some of the kids were on special diets, tube feedings, etc. The staff developed protocols to teach the child new behaviors to replace whatever severe behaviors put them in the unit (self-injurious, aggressive, socially unacceptable, etc.). Some kids were only there for a week or two, some were there for months. I'm not sure if the unit still exists, but it was in KKI's facility in Baltimore.

Arielle,

I perosnally don't know of any facilities that do that, unless Kennedy Kreiger Institute or Shepard Pratt here in land do. I"m not totally sure what protocols they follow, but both are pretty reputable places, but just not sure about their outlook on the drugs vs supps. Maybe KKI more so as they are quite involved with Autsim spectrum disorders, and neurological issues. Might be worth making a phone call to them.

I can surely pray for your son, as I understand your concern for sure. Hang in there and don't give up.. you are doing all you can as a mom. That is the best that we can do for our children. They do have their free will once they arrive at a certain age. we can only pray and help guide them and hopefully they will choose the best paths.

xoxoxo

Patty T. from Baltimore.

I have a teenage son who was diagnosed with Aspergers only about 3 years ago. Unfortunately he has been extremely uncooperative about trying diet, supplements and other natural treatments to help his severe anxiety, anger and difficulty concentrating in school. He was always very high functioning, but now he can barely function. He used to take all of the supplements that I gave him - but now he refuses to take any of them. His diet is a disaster. Since he is old enough to just run out of the house if he doesn't want to do something it is difficult to get him to comply. He sees me as the enemy and doesn't believe that I am trying to get him well. Therapy has not helped so far.

I fear that if I don't help him now, soon enough he will be old enough to leave home and he will never get helped. I have been trying to find a facility that I could send him to, perhaps for the summer, that is a controlled environment and serves either gluten/casein free or GAPS diet and will administer supplements. I haven't had any luck finding one. Has anyone heard of one either in this country or elsewhere in the world? I am fearful that he will wind up in the hospital, and psychotropic drugs will not heal him, and could make his body even more toxic.

Any input would be most appreciated. If you don't know of any, then a prayer would be welcome as well.

Thanks so much.

Arielle

Your post brings tears to my eyes, as we were in the same boat about five years ago. My daughter was diagnosed late (17) and she kept having emotional setbacks, saw me as the enemy, and before I knew it, things were out of control. I feared exactly what you are, and was afraid she would turn 18 and tell me to shove all my treatments and wind up on the street. We were strongly considering admitting her into a hospital, but I was the same as you, I didn't want them to throw drugs at her.

While I do not know of any facilities that do what you're asking about here, I can offer what I did. I called Living Well Today and began working with MP and his Zyto. I don't know if you've ever read anything about the Zyto but I sincerely believe it is what saved my daughter's life. What it did for me was take the guess work out of things....he was able to look at her, figure out what was the most prevalent problem at the time, and we worked on that. We didn't start with a lot of pills, he didn't even try to change her diet....we left that alone. The first thing we needed to do was get her in a calmer place. Eventually we discovered Lyme's and friends.

As she improved, she was open to different treatments, even messing with her diet, although that didn't come until later. It's a long road, and I empathize with you, but hang in there, it's NEVER too late.

My daugher is now 22, taking 19 credits at a community college, has maintained a relationship with a boy for 3 years....is doing very well. There are still a few things I'd like to see improve, but I guess I'm just greedy.

Shelly

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Wed, January 30, 2013 12:30:08 AMSubject: Anyone know of a sleep away facility to help teens with severe symptoms

I have a teenage son who was diagnosed with Aspergers only about 3 years ago. Unfortunately he has been extremely uncooperative about trying diet, supplements and other natural treatments to help his severe anxiety, anger and difficulty concentrating in school. He was always very high functioning, but now he can barely function. He used to take all of the supplements that I gave him - but now he refuses to take any of them. His diet is a disaster. Since he is old enough to just run out of the house if he doesn't want to do something it is difficult to get him to comply. He sees me as the enemy and doesn't believe that I am trying to get him well. Therapy has not helped so far.I fear that if I don't help him now, soon enough he will be old enough to leave home and he will never get helped. I have been trying to find a facility that I could send him to, perhaps for the summer, that is a controlled environment and serves either gluten/casein free

or GAPS diet and will administer supplements. I haven't had any luck finding one. Has anyone heard of one either in this country or elsewhere in the world? I am fearful that he will wind up in the hospital, and psychotropic drugs will not heal him, and could make his body even more toxic.Any input would be most appreciated. If you don't know of any, then a prayer would be welcome as well.Thanks so much.Arielle

Yes, That Unit still does exist.. they are down on Broadway and Monument Street in Baltimore.. so when looking up phine numbers, look for that address on Braodway, as KKI has many facilities here. Praying it is a place that can help!!

Patty T

disorders many years ago as a patient helper, and some of the kids were on special diets, tube feedings, etc. The staff developed protocols to teach the child new behaviors to replace whatever severe behaviors put them in the unit (self-injurious, aggressive, socially unacceptable, etc.). Some kids were only there for a week or two, some were there for months.

I'm not sure if the unit still

Thanks so much.

Arielle

Arielle - have you done any testing to determine what might be going in? Infections? Immune function? Gut?Ruth Sent from my iPhone

I was thinking Kennedy Krieger too. I don't know if they have exactly what you're looking for, but I used to work in their children's inpatient unit for severe developmental disorders many years ago as a patient helper, and some of the kids were on special diets, tube feedings, etc. The staff developed protocols to teach the child new behaviors to replace whatever severe behaviors put them in the unit (self-injurious, aggressive, socially unacceptable, etc.). Some kids were only there for a week or two, some were there for months. I'm not sure if the unit still exists, but it was in KKI's facility in Baltimore.

Arielle,

xoxoxo

Patty T. from Baltimore.

Thanks so much.

Arielle

ARI Will provide this webinar soon. If This can help...http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/renderllr=urleaacab & v=001Ro55SkI4QPYWRH3jvOd5pw9t-fvuH-_-IDybJ0F-W1y0L624_zwwGxUkIHBsRkQBjlkBMgUrzy_ZUPvvDUI-pDsiIneos_w1MvRGfjhwLcoV0Adszu8xEg%3D%3DGood luck!Enviado via iPadEm 30/01/2013, às 00:10, "lakemarymom" escreveu:

Thanks so much.

Arielle