RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

in our school system, the spec ed is in the reg ed classrooms. they are completely with the rest of the kids, unless they need "pull out" time or OT, ST, PT social skills classes, reading classes, math tutoring etc... And yes, I'm thrilled he makes A's. Problem is 1st grade is completely factual and 2nd is not. He cannot write legibily at all, and does not understand pragmatic language at all. This they dont care about, because right now he is making A's reciting exactly what he has read.

Re: ( ) question

From: ASC <aschristensencharter (DOT) net>Date: 2007/05/20 Sun PM 10:22:04 CDT Subject: ( ) questionPersonally, I think you should be thrilled that he holds it together so well in school and I certainly wouldn't want him in a special ed setting with that kind of success. If he has had an OT eval then he would be eligible for services I would think. Unfortunately there aren't very many good social skills curriculums in the public schools and many parents have to look for that elsewhere or provide opportunities yourself. I wish that my daughter would save her meltdowns for home-she doesn't, so now she is in a substantially separate classroom with only 6 other kids and she is very smart....breaks my heart.I had an IEP eligibility meeting with my sons school 2 weeks ago. For a short back story, my ds (age 6.5 years, 1st grade) was dxed with AS in September of 2006. One of the leading ASD docs in the southeast made the dx. She said he is a text book case. Fortunately/unfortunately he "holds it together" for the vast majority of the school day and leaves the tantrums/meltdowns and more severe of his quirks for when he gets home with me (dad lives 10+ hours away and doesnt see him much). Its fortunate because he is pretty functional, but unfortunate because the school see just another kid with ADHD (ruled out by the ASD doc, has symptoms, but only due to the AS.) They prefer him on meds. I and his peds doc have removed him from all meds except melatonin (so nice to have him sleep all night without tossing and turning and waking up grumpy).  So the question is this: The school says well his dr says he has AS, but we dont see any of the symptoms (testing all done while on major meds) so hes not eligible under the Autism category, and yes he meets all criteria for Gifted except that hes got straight A's so its not negatively affecting him. His docs all say because they have made the dx he is more than eligible. I have disagreed and stated as much and pointed out numerous problems with their logic (especially since his 1st grade teachers assessment literally was the textbook definition of AS.) I have asked for an IEE or for them to reconsider based on all available info (to include all his docs input and testing info.) Are they right? Can a child with the dx not be elig? Are the docs right that since they made the dx he is eligible? What else can anyone suggest for me to do at this point? I know school funding is very low here (TN is 48th lowest in funding in the US and our county is 138th lowest of 140 in the state) but as we all know our kids need major help early to hopefully be more independent later on. I'm not asking for much at this point, just OT, social skills, a sensory diet, and an aid throughout the day (especially during unstructured time). Help please? AndiDS 6.5 years AS (1st grade) melatonin 3mgDS 4.5 years no dx at present "I must have walked ten million milesMust have walked ten million milesWore some shoes that weren't my styleFell into the rank and fileSo just say I was here a whileA fool in search of your sweet smileTen million miles"~Patty ~

Guest guest

Andi,Have you had him assessed by a speech therapist? They're the ones who look at pragmatics. S/he could include him in a pragmatics group if the evaluation showed that he needed it.LizOn May 21, 2007, at 8:08 PM, Andi wrote:in our school system, the spec ed is in the reg ed classrooms.  they are completely with the rest of the kids, unless they need "pull out" time or OT, ST, PT social skills classes, reading classes, math tutoring etc...  And yes, I'm thrilled he makes A's.  Problem is 1st grade is completely factual and 2nd is not.  He cannot write legibily at all, and does not understand pragmatic language at all.  This they dont care about, because right now he is making A's reciting exactly what he has read.

Guest guest

It makes total sense that you would pull him off the meds! This is such a hard thing. You were doing what you needed to protect your family...and to stop the roller coaster.

I went through a similar thing...though not as severe. The school pressured us to try meds with our then 6 yr old. The neurologist put my son on Focalin...it brought out aggression in him like we've never seen! He was sent to the Asst Principal's office 3 out of the 7 school days he was on the meds! We stopped it before the two week trial was out!!!

I was very hesitant to try anything else, but the Dr. suggested we try the lowest dose of Adderall...and then give up if that didn’t work. It did improve his impulsivity and focus (not drastically - but noticeably) ..without aggression - so we've kept him on it for the last 6 weeks. She told us we didn’t have to medicate him on the weekends or during the summer!

( ) question

I had an IEP eligibility meeting with my sons school 2 weeks ago. For a short back story, my ds (age 6.5 years, 1st grade) was dxed with AS in September of 2006. One of the leading ASD docs in the southeast made the dx. She said he is a text book case. Fortunately/unfortunately he "holds it together" for the vast majority of the school day and leaves the tantrums/meltdowns and more severe of his quirks for when he gets home with me (dad lives 10+ hours away and doesnt see him much). Its fortunate because he is pretty functional, but unfortunate because the school see just another kid with ADHD (ruled out by the ASD doc, has symptoms, but only due to the AS.) They prefer him on meds. I and his peds doc have removed him from all meds except melatonin (so nice to have him sleep all night without tossing and turning and waking up grumpy).

So the question is this: The school says well his dr says he has AS, but we dont see any of the symptoms (testing all done while on major meds) so hes not eligible under the Autism category, and yes he meets all criteria for Gifted except that hes got straight A's so its not negatively affecting him. His docs all say because they have made the dx he is more than eligible. I have disagreed and stated as much and pointed out numerous problems with their logic (especially since his 1st grade teachers assessment literally was the textbook definition of AS.) I have asked for an IEE or for them to reconsider based on all available info (to include all his docs input and testing info.) Are they right? Can a child with the dx not be elig? Are the docs right that since they made the dx he is eligible? What else can anyone suggest for me to do at this point? I know school funding is very low here (TN is 48th lowest in funding in the US and our county is 138th lowest of 140 in the state) but as we all know our kids need major help early to hopefully be more independent later on. I'm not asking for much at this point, just OT, social skills, a sensory diet, and an aid throughout the day (especially during unstructured time). Help please?

Andi

DS 6.5 years AS (1st grade) melatonin 3mg

DS 4.5 years no dx at present

Guest guest

Date: 2007/05/21 Mon PM 08:01:50 CDT

Subject: Re: ( ) question

Gee, I thought adderall could cause aggression. Maybe I'm thinking of something

else. My daughter is on Risperdal and she has calmed down a lot. She plays much

better with kids and is more tolerant of others' faults.

It makes total sense that you would pull him off the meds!  This is such a

hard thing.  You were doing what you needed to protect your family...and to

stop the roller coaster. I went through a similar thing...though not as

severe.  The school pressured us to try meds with our then 6 yr old. 

The neurologist put my son on Focalin...it brought out aggression in him like

we've never seen!  He was sent to the Asst Principal's office 3 out of the

7 school days he was on the meds!  We stopped it before the two week trial

was out!!!   I was very hesitant to try anything else, but the Dr.

suggested we try the lowest dose of Adderall...and then give up if that

didn’t work.  It did improve his impulsivity and focus (not drastically -

but noticeably) ..without aggression - so we've kept him on it for the last 6

weeks.  She told us we didn’t have to medicate him on the weekends or

during the summer!      

( ) question  

I had an IEP eligibility meeting with my sons school

2 weeks ago.  For a short back story, my ds (age 6.5 years, 1st

grade) was dxed with AS in September of 2006.  One of the

leading ASD docs in the southeast made the dx.  She said he is

a text book case.  Fortunately/unfortunately he " holds it

together " for the vast majority of the school day and leaves the

tantrums/meltdowns and more severe of his quirks for when he gets

home with me (dad lives 10+ hours away and doesnt see him

much).  Its fortunate because he is pretty functional, but

unfortunate because the school see just another kid with ADHD

(ruled out by the ASD doc, has symptoms, but only due to the

AS.)  They prefer him on meds.  I and his peds doc have

removed him from all meds except melatonin (so nice to have him

sleep all night without tossing and turning and waking up

grumpy).    So the question is this:  The

school says well his dr says he has AS, but we dont see any of the

symptoms (testing all done while on major meds) so hes not

eligible under the Autism category, and yes he meets all criteria

for Gifted except that hes got straight A's so its not negatively

affecting him.  His docs all say because they have made the dx

he is more than eligible.  I have disagreed and stated as much

and pointed out numerous problems with their logic (especially

since his 1st grade teachers assessment literally was the textbook

definition of AS.)  I have asked for an IEE or for them to

reconsider based on all available info (to include all his docs

input and testing info.)  Are they right?  Can a child with

the dx not be elig?  Are the docs right that since they made

the dx he is eligible?  What else can anyone suggest for me to

do at this point?  I know school funding is very low here (TN

is 48th lowest in funding in the US and our county is 138th

lowest of 140 in the state)  but as we all know our kids

need major help early to hopefully be more independent later

on.  I'm not asking for much at this point, just OT, social

skills, a sensory diet, and an aid throughout the day (especially

during unstructured time).  Help please?  

Andi DS 6.5 years AS (1st grade) melatonin 3mg

" I must have walked ten million miles

Must have walked ten million miles

Wore some shoes that weren't my style

Fell into the rank and file

So just say I was here a while

A fool in search of your sweet smile

Ten million miles "

~Patty ~

Guest guest

I have also read that Adderall could cause aggression and was very hesitant for my son to try it since the Focalin caused aggression...but our neurologist explained that these type of meds can work differently on some kids than it does on others. She also said a lot of trial and error is involved in getting the right med and right dosage. So far...she was right for my son.

( ) question  I had an IEP eligibility meeting with my sons school 2 weeks ago. For a short back story, my ds (age 6.5 years, 1st grade) was dxed with AS in September of 2006. One of the leading ASD docs in the southeast made the dx. She said he is a text book case. Fortunately/unfortunately he "holds it together" for the vast majority of the school day and leaves the tantrums/meltdowns and more severe of his quirks for when he gets home with me (dad lives 10+ hours away and doesnt see him much). Its fortunate because he is pretty functional, but unfortunate because the school see just another kid with ADHD (ruled out by the ASD doc, has symptoms, but only due to the AS.) They prefer him on meds. I and his peds doc have removed him from all meds except melatonin (so nice to have him sleep all night without tossing and turning and waking up grumpy).  So the question is this: The school says well his dr says he has AS, but we dont see any of the symptoms (testing all done while on major meds) so hes not eligible under the Autism category, and yes he meets all criteria for Gifted except that hes got straight A's so its not negatively affecting him. His docs all say because they have made the dx he is more than eligible. I have disagreed and stated as much and pointed out numerous problems with their logic (especially since his 1st grade teachers assessment literally was the textbook definition of AS.) I have asked for an IEE or for them to reconsider based on all available info (to include all his docs input and testing info.) Are they right? Can a child with the dx not be elig? Are the docs right that since they made the dx he is eligible? What else can anyone suggest for me to do at this point? I know school funding is very low here (TN is 48th lowest in funding in the US and our county is 138th lowest of 140 in the state) but as we all know our kids need major help early to hopefully be more independent later on. I'm not asking for much at this point, just OT, social skills, a sensory diet, and an aid throughout the day (especially during unstructured time). Help please?  Andi DS 6.5 years AS (1st grade) melatonin 3mg DS 4.5 years no dx at present    "I must have walked ten million milesMust have walked ten million milesWore some shoes that weren't my styleFell into the rank and fileSo just say I was here a whileA fool in search of your sweet smileTen million miles"~Patty ~

Guest guest

That will be handled during the PT, OT, ST eval this summer.

Andi,

Have you had him assessed by a speech therapist? They're the ones who look at pragmatics. S/he could include him in a pragmatics group if the evaluation showed that he needed it.

Liz

On May 21, 2007, at 8:08 PM, Andi wrote:

in our school system, the spec ed is in the reg ed classrooms. they are completely with the rest of the kids, unless they need "pull out" time or OT, ST, PT social skills classes, reading classes, math tutoring etc... And yes, I'm thrilled he makes A's. Problem is 1st grade is completely factual and 2nd is not. He cannot write legibily at all, and does not understand pragmatic language at all. This they dont care about, because right now he is making A's reciting exactly what he has read.

Guest guest

That sounds like our son. Our school is also like that - very "mainstreamed" and pulled out for the extra's. He was great academically, but when he got into 2/3rd grade,,,,it became more frustrating because it didnt' come "as easy" as he was used to. He then, began to have "obvious" struggles with handwriting - so he continued with OT until they realized that he would "do his best",,,but be allowed to do it on the computer or basically, dictate what he wants said,,,,and then I wrote it for him. My son now is 11 and types like a fricken whizzz!!!! Spelling tests have never been under a 95 because, like yours,,,,,,simply memorizes what he needs to. It's hard when they get older,,,,cause not many can understand how a kid can be so damned smart and yet,,,,,so lost with other things................... When they have the "state testing",,,,he does the "comprehension" part VERBALLY. He can

tell you,,,,,,,but reading it and then picking the "best" is unbelievably hard for him. And if it's fiction...............lets just say,,,,,he'll explain how stupid it is, cause "it's not real".....so they've struggled with what to "accept" from him and what he "just has to do". I struggled too........I want him to have to learn to "do".....because that's life,,,,,and yet, if he can't,,,,,how do you know when to stand up and say, "no - he can't - let it be". I'm always confused........ha ha. I'm wondering now,,,what I was wanting to say to you.....ha ha..........gee - I wonder where my son gets his adhd from!!! Robin Andi <aschristensen@...> wrote:  in our school system, the spec ed is in the reg ed classrooms. they are completely with the rest of the kids, unless they need "pull out" time or OT, ST, PT social skills classes, reading classes, math tutoring etc... And yes, I'm thrilled he makes A's. Problem is 1st grade is completely factual and 2nd is not. He cannot write legibily at all, and does not understand pragmatic language at all. This they dont care about, because right now he is making A's reciting exactly what he has read. Re: ( ) question From: ASC <aschristensencharter (DOT) net>Date: 2007/05/20 Sun PM 10:22:04 CDT Subject: ( ) questionPersonally, I think you should be thrilled that he holds it together so well in school and I certainly wouldn't want him in a special ed

setting with that kind of success. If he has had an OT eval then he would be eligible for services I would think. Unfortunately there aren't very many good social skills curriculums in the public schools and many parents have to look for that elsewhere or provide opportunities yourself. I wish that my daughter would save her meltdowns for home-she doesn't, so now she is in a substantially separate classroom with only 6 other kids and she is very smart....breaks my heart.I had an IEP eligibility meeting with my sons school 2 weeks ago. For a short back story, my ds (age 6.5 years, 1st grade) was dxed with AS in September of 2006. One of the leading ASD docs in the southeast made the dx. She said he is a text book case. Fortunately/unfortunately he "holds it together" for the vast majority of the school day and leaves the tantrums/meltdowns and more severe of his quirks for when he gets home with me (dad lives 10+ hours

away and doesnt see him much). Its fortunate because he is pretty functional, but unfortunate because the school see just another kid with ADHD (ruled out by the ASD doc, has symptoms, but only due to the AS.) They prefer him on meds. I and his peds doc have removed him from all meds except melatonin (so nice to have him sleep all night without tossing and turning and waking up grumpy).  So the question is this: The school says well his dr says he has AS, but we dont see any of the symptoms (testing all done while on major meds) so hes not eligible under the Autism category, and yes he meets all criteria for Gifted except that hes got straight A's so its not negatively affecting him. His docs all say because they have made the dx he is more than eligible. I have disagreed and stated as much and pointed out numerous problems with their logic (especially since his 1st grade teachers assessment literally

was the textbook definition of AS.) I have asked for an IEE or for them to reconsider based on all available info (to include all his docs input and testing info.) Are they right? Can a child with the dx not be elig? Are the docs right that since they made the dx he is eligible? What else can anyone suggest for me to do at this point? I know school funding is very low here (TN is 48th lowest in funding in the US and our county is 138th lowest of 140 in the state) but as we all know our kids need major help early to hopefully be more independent later on. I'm not asking for much at this point, just OT, social skills, a sensory diet, and an aid throughout the day (especially during unstructured time). Help please? AndiDS 6.5 years AS (1st grade) melatonin 3mgDS 4.5 years no dx at present "I must have walked ten million milesMust have walked ten million milesWore some shoes

that weren't my styleFell into the rank and fileSo just say I was here a whileA fool in search of your sweet smileTen million miles"~Patty ~

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel and lay it on us.

http://us.rd./evt=48516/*http://surveylink./gmrs/_panel_invite.asp?a=7 hot CTA = Join 's user panel

Guest guest

My son was only on the Adderall for 8 weeks. Most people swear he has ADHD, and if it wasnt for all the rest of his problems I would agree. But total combined issues, the dx of Asperger's fits him so well. Much like many of you I would love to "fix" the issues for him, however, I love him as is and wouldnt change him. The joy he brings me outweighs the struggles we all have when dealing with the meltdowns/tantrums/impulsivity etc that comes with having our kids. Not to say if something worked for him I wouldnt give it a go, but our docs and I agree right now on what we would like to try. OT/PT/ST social skills training etc. Those things first. If we then need to work on Anxiety/Depression/OCD or anything else that beings to become a problem, then yes by all means I will be the first one saying this is not right, what do we do next? Is it time to try a med(s) etc. I hope the Adderall continues to work for your family. My neighbor has a son with ADD and it works really well for him also without the aggression problem. :)

( ) question

I had an IEP eligibility meeting with my sons school 2 weeks ago. For a short back story, my ds (age 6.5 years, 1st grade) was dxed with AS in September of 2006. One of the leading ASD docs in the southeast made the dx. She said he is a text book case. Fortunately/unfortunately he "holds it together" for the vast majority of the school day and leaves the tantrums/meltdowns and more severe of his quirks for when he gets home with me (dad lives 10+ hours away and doesnt see him much). Its fortunate because he is pretty functional, but unfortunate because the school see just another kid with ADHD (ruled out by the ASD doc, has symptoms, but only due to the AS.) They prefer him on meds. I and his peds doc have removed him from all meds except melatonin (so nice to have him sleep all night without tossing and turning and waking up grumpy).

So the question is this: The school says well his dr says he has AS, but we dont see any of the symptoms (testing all done while on major meds) so hes not eligible under the Autism category, and yes he meets all criteria for Gifted except that hes got straight A's so its not negatively affecting him. His docs all say because they have made the dx he is more than eligible. I have disagreed and stated as much and pointed out numerous problems with their logic (especially since his 1st grade teachers assessment literally was the textbook definition of AS.) I have asked for an IEE or for them to reconsider based on all available info (to include all his docs input and testing info.) Are they right? Can a child with the dx not be elig? Are the docs right that since they made the dx he is eligible? What else can anyone suggest for me to do at this point? I know school funding is very low here (TN is 48th lowest in funding in the US and our county is 138th lowest of 140 in the state) but as we all know our kids need major help early to hopefully be more independent later on. I'm not asking for much at this point, just OT, social skills, a sensory diet, and an aid throughout the day (especially during unstructured time). Help please?

Andi

Guest guest

4th grade this year for us has been a nightmare !!! He went from A

2ND/3RD grade student to C-D student. Seems like many AS kids " hit a

brick wall " academically at this time ??? Like you guys say- it's so

hard to convince school staff that even though he is bright- he still

has real struggles and there should be accomodations. We are changing

schools next Fall to special needs alone ADD/ASD/learning differences

private school. I hope he regains his self-esteem, and 5Th grade goes

smoother ??? and that I can find the money !!!

Kim

Conner 10yo, AS/ADD/BP? Seroquel, Lexapro, Concerta

Guest guest

We had a similar reaction with my stepson. He became VERY disrupted with the adderol. Sometimes a good ol' detox is what they need and then start over with lower dose meds along with the therapies. I think you are on the right track

I also want you to look at these products. A lady I know loves them and I have seen the difference

In her child.. However I must stress.. Herbal remedies are medicines and you should consult professionals when using them too..

Here is the link http://www.nativeremedies.com/

Focus is the first one that she uses

Bright spark is the second one

And Mindsoothe Jr.. Is the third..

She swears by it.. And I have seen it with my own eyes!

-- Re: ( ) question

My son was only on the Adderall for 8 weeks. Most people swear he has ADHD, and if it wasnt for all the rest of his problems I would agree. But total combined issues, the dx of Asperger's fits him so well. Much like many of you I would love to "fix" the issues for him, however, I love him as is and wouldnt change him. The joy he brings me outweighs the struggles we all have when dealing with the meltdowns/tantrums/impulsivity etc that comes with having our kids. Not to say if something worked for him I wouldnt give it a go, but our docs and I agree right now on what we would like to try. OT/PT/ST social skills training etc. Those things first. If we then need to work on Anxiety/Depression/OCD or anything else that beings to become a problem, then yes by all means I will be the first one saying this is not right, what do we do next? Is it time to try a med(s) etc. I hope the Adderall continues to work for your family. My neighbor has a son with ADD and it works really well for him also without the aggression problem. :)

( ) question

Andi

Guest guest

Good luck next year with the new school!!! I would love it if there were 1 of those here!!!!!!!! Our son seemed to hit "a brick wall" as well. He was still good academically,,,,,it's just that it didn't come easy anymore and he started having to think about "what if's"/hypothitically... that was a killer. They still have to learn to do that,,,,,,,but with kids who HAVE to be right and in many cases, feel they already know everything (ha ha),,,,,,,it's a real esteem-crusher. When Ian hit that "wall" is when he started experiencing stress, tension, anxiety, anger. Looking back now,,,,,,I can actually see the moment. Ugh. Robinmaternalcaregiver <mcgkcc@...> wrote: 4th grade this year for us has been a nightmare !!! He went from A 2ND/3RD grade student to C-D student. Seems like many AS kids "hit a brick wall" academically at this time ??? Like you guys say- it's so hard to convince school staff that even though he is bright- he still has real struggles and there should be accomodations. We are changing schools next Fall to special needs alone ADD/ASD/learning differences private school. I hope he regains his self-esteem, and 5Th grade goes smoother ??? and that I can find the money !!!KimConner 10yo, AS/ADD/BP? Seroquel, Lexapro,

Concerta

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.

Guest guest

It used to be that you did have to prove that social dysfunction matters and that it affects ones education. I don't know that you have to prove that now though. Maybe some schools do still make parents fly through that hoop. I'm sure if they can, they do. <g> I think most people know (or can prove) that social ability affects ones ability to learn and function in the classroom.

The law says that you not only have to have a disability, but the disability has to impair your ability to learn. In other words, an IEP is only for kids who need specialized instruction in order to learn. We do have a "504" plan that picks up some slack - for people with disabilities that do not need specialized instruction and still need help/accommodations. So it makes sense overall. Ok, not always. lol.

RoxannaAutism Happens

( ) question

Andi

Guest guest

Thank you. We tried the Focus, but none of the others. It didn't really seem to help my son much though.

( ) question

Andi

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/22/2007 12:23:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mcgkcc@... writes:

4th grade this year for us has been a nightmare !!! He went from A

2ND/3RD grade student to C-D student. Seems like many AS kids "hit a

brick wall" academically at this time ???

Mine hit it going into 6th, and 7th grade has been a total disaster. Mind you, this is a kid who skipped 1st grade and the school considered having him skip 2nd, he is that smart, but I didn't think a 6 year old needed to be with 8 year olds.

This year he is failing due to behavior, lack of homework, being disruptive, poor classwork, but you know what, his quarterly standardized tests, and his terranova tests, are all excellent and 99th percentile so the school has dragged their feet the whole year saying he's bright, just lazy. I'm still fighting to get him evaluated by the school so we can get some sort of accommodations but it's May, and this year is over. I just can't deal with going from such a bright kid, who won the Presidential Academic Excellence award for 2 years, to someone who is in "possible year failure" for his best subjects, reading and writing.

Barbara

"We learned more from a three minute record baby than we ever learned in school"

Bruce Springsteen, No Surrender

Guest guest

Andi,

This is why you should request a full educational evaluation. It will highlight areas of need that are not solely at the whim of grades. Grades are very subjective. A good OT eval and a ST eval would catch problems with writing and pragmatic language.

RoxannaAutism Happens

From: ASC <aschristensencharter (DOT) net>Date: 2007/05/20 Sun PM 10:22:04 CDT Subject: ( ) questionPersonally, I think you should be thrilled that he holds it together so well in school and I certainly wouldn't want him in a special ed setting with that kind of success. If he has had an OT eval then he would be eligible for services I would think. Unfortunately there aren't very many good social skills curriculums in the public schools and many parents have to look for that elsewhere or provide opportunities yourself. I wish that my daughter would save her meltdowns for home-she doesn't, so now she is in a substantially separate classroom with only 6 other kids and she is very smart....breaks my heart.I had an IEP eligibility meeting with my sons school 2 weeks ago. For a short back story, my ds (age 6.5 years, 1st grade) was dxed with AS in September of 2006. One of the leading ASD docs in the southeast made the dx. She said he is a text book case. Fortunately/unfortunately he "holds it together" for the vast majority of the school day and leaves the tantrums/meltdowns and more severe of his quirks for when he gets home with me (dad lives 10+ hours away and doesnt see him much). Its fortunate because he is pretty functional, but unfortunate because the school see just another kid with ADHD (ruled out by the ASD doc, has symptoms, but only due to the AS.) They prefer him on meds. I and his peds doc have removed him from all meds except melatonin (so nice to have him sleep all night without tossing and turning and waking up grumpy).  So the question is this: The school says well his dr says he has AS, but we dont see any of the symptoms (testing all done while on major meds) so hes not eligible under the Autism category, and yes he meets all criteria for Gifted except that hes got straight A's so its not negatively affecting him. His docs all say because they have made the dx he is more than eligible. I have disagreed and stated as much and pointed out numerous problems with their logic (especially since his 1st grade teachers assessment literally was the textbook definition of AS.) I have asked for an IEE or for them to reconsider based on all available info (to include all his docs input and testing info.) Are they right? Can a child with the dx not be elig? Are the docs right that since they made the dx he is eligible? What else can anyone suggest for me to do at this point? I know school funding is very low here (TN is 48th lowest in funding in the US and our county is 138th lowest of 140 in the state) but as we all know our kids need major help early to hopefully be more independent later on. I'm not asking for much at this point, just OT, social skills, a sensory diet, and an aid throughout the day (especially during unstructured time). Help please? AndiDS 6.5 years AS (1st grade) melatonin 3mgDS 4.5 years no dx at present "I must have walked ten million milesMust have walked ten million milesWore some shoes that weren't my styleFell into the rank and fileSo just say I was here a whileA fool in search of your sweet smileTen million miles"~Patty ~

Guest guest

I requested one through the school, but as most of us have experienced, the schools will do anything at all NOT to have to give services to our kids because most of them are academically functional in the lower grades (meaning that yes they have average or above IQs and usually have great memories so they can literally regurgitate factual info on letters/words/numbers.) When his teacher did her eval everything she said that was going on in the classroom with him was 100% textbook aspergers. The school even went so far as to completely state that there was no evidence of any type of autistic spectrum type behaviors. I went straight from that meeting to his doc, who said what planet do they live on??? lol. She has already sent us to get a real OT/ST/PT eval that is extremely comprehensive (the doc there has 2 kids on the spectrum and the practice is for everyone, but they specialize in Spectrum kids). I'm taking the info I get from them straight to the school as yet more documented Physican info that he has issues that need to be addressed in school. His doc has already stated that she would be surprised if he wasn't dx'd with Sensory Integration disorder (fairly severe in that it affects all of his senses, sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell.) She also sees the issues with his handwritting in that he should be writting pretty clearly although larger than an adult, and his handwriting is illegible. Hes now chewing holes in his shirts and pillow cases/sheets/blankets. We have to "reset" his senses just about nightly during school by wrapping him up snuggly in a blanket and me holding him (which is really funny since hes only 18 inches shorter than me and over half my weight). However after 10 minutes of that hes happy go lucky again. Basically at this point his school will do everything they can to state that he is absolutely normal.

Thank everyone so much for all of the info and support. School is out for the summer. hes not having tantrums so far. Hes going to his dads for 3 weeks, then back home for 2 then back to dads for 3 weeks then school again. Hopefully we can get the OT/ST/PT eval in during the 2 weeks back home and start the therapy when he gets back. Then we can take in all of the paper work with the information and see what they do then. Im fairly sure at this point they are going to say not matter what that he is normal and that its great that he has a dx but that they dont see it. Thats why im considering moving next summer. Hopefully that will make things better.

Guest guest

Hello, I just joined the group yesterday so forgive me if I'm

stepping on toes. I read this post and had to comment.

I too would question the teacher's ability to change your son's

classification. As wonderful as teachers are, she is not authorized

to make those decisions. I would push for a re-evalution buy

whomever is authorized to do so, MD, Spec Ed, or whomever does that

in your area. When support and services are based on classification,

the decision to change that should not be taken lightly.

Best of luck to you!

Noel

>

> Why would they change his classification just based on the

teacher's opinion? Shouldn't this be a team decision? I would ask

for a meeting to discuss this in more detail and push the fact that

he still requires all the services. I would also make sure they have

solid data showing improvement. Also shouldn't they do a re-

evaluation before deciding to change a classification? I would

expect that. No offense to teachers, but I would not appreciate my

child's program being dictated by the whim of one teacher.

>

>

> Roxanna

> Autism Happens

> ( ) question

>

>

> Hello,

> I haven't posted in a while due to being soooo busy. I wanted to

ask

> if anyone knows of an organization with funds or grants to help

with

> the expense of doctor/evaluations fees for (autism/aspergers)?

you can

> e-mail me off line if you like and in 'subject' type aspergers.

> the school CSE changed my sons diagnosis because they said today

he is

> doing much better, that his teacher doesn't see him as having

aspergers

> anymore. hmmmmmm, but they said he still needs all the services,

> including resource, speech, social skills, life skills, but

because he

> is improving, they changed his classification.

> now I'm back to the doctors.

> any information on organizations to help with the fees would be

great.

> hugs.

>

Guest guest

You are absolutely right, Roxanna. And teachers do

not diagnose or UNdiagnose AS. And if she " doesn't

see " him having it anymore....UGH. That is the

dumbest statement I have ever heard. It is totally

subjective and based on NOTHING at all.

Kaye, a teacher who would NEVER do such a thing. (And

what is wrong with the rest of the team? They are

idiots too????)

--- Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote:

> Why would they change his classification just based

> on the teacher's opinion? Shouldn't this be a team

> decision? I would ask for a meeting to discuss this

> in more detail and push the fact that he still

> requires all the services. I would also make sure

> they have solid data showing improvement. Also

> shouldn't they do a re-evaluation before deciding to

> change a classification? I would expect that. No

> offense to teachers, but I would not appreciate my

> child's program being dictated by the whim of one

> teacher.

>

>

> Roxanna

> Autism Happens

> ( ) question

>

>

> Hello,

> I haven't posted in a while due to being soooo

> busy. I wanted to ask

> if anyone knows of an organization with funds or

> grants to help with

> the expense of doctor/evaluations fees for

> (autism/aspergers)? you can

> e-mail me off line if you like and in 'subject'

> type aspergers.

> the school CSE changed my sons diagnosis because

> they said today he is

> doing much better, that his teacher doesn't see

> him as having aspergers

> anymore. hmmmmmm, but they said he still needs all

> the services,

> including resource, speech, social skills, life

> skills, but because he

> is improving, they changed his classification.

> now I'm back to the doctors.

> any information on organizations to help with the

> fees would be great.

> hugs.

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

___

You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

in the all-new Beta.

http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_html.html

Guest guest

Why would a teacher even take it upon herself to diagnose a child.

Does she even know what AS is??? It's not something that just GOES

away!! This is something our children will live with for all of their

lives!!! It's not like my son or anyone else's child will wake up

tomorrow and DECIDE to NOT be Autistic!!!

Jackie

On Jun 15, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Kaye Bates wrote:

> You are absolutely right, Roxanna. And teachers do

> not diagnose or UNdiagnose AS. And if she " doesn't

> see " him having it anymore....UGH. That is the

> dumbest statement I have ever heard. It is totally

> subjective and based on NOTHING at all.

>

> Kaye, a teacher who would NEVER do such a thing. (And

> what is wrong with the rest of the team? They are

> idiots too????)

>

>

>

> --- Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote:

>

>> Why would they change his classification just based

>> on the teacher's opinion? Shouldn't this be a team

>> decision? I would ask for a meeting to discuss this

>> in more detail and push the fact that he still

>> requires all the services. I would also make sure

>> they have solid data showing improvement. Also

>> shouldn't they do a re-evaluation before deciding to

>> change a classification? I would expect that. No

>> offense to teachers, but I would not appreciate my

>> child's program being dictated by the whim of one

>> teacher.

>>

>>

>> Roxanna

>> Autism Happens

>> ( ) question

>>

>>

>> Hello,

>> I haven't posted in a while due to being soooo

>> busy. I wanted to ask

>> if anyone knows of an organization with funds or

>> grants to help with

>> the expense of doctor/evaluations fees for

>> (autism/aspergers)? you can

>> e-mail me off line if you like and in 'subject'

>> type aspergers.

>> the school CSE changed my sons diagnosis because

>> they said today he is

>> doing much better, that his teacher doesn't see

>> him as having aspergers

>> anymore. hmmmmmm, but they said he still needs all

>> the services,

>> including resource, speech, social skills, life

>> skills, but because he

>> is improving, they changed his classification.

>> now I'm back to the doctors.

>> any information on organizations to help with the

>> fees would be great.

>> hugs.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

> _______________________________________________________________________

> ____________

> You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

> in the all-new Beta.

> http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_html.html

>

>

>

Guest guest

ONLY a doctor can diagnose AUTISM/ASPERGERS ~ schools are getting way out of hand.

-- Re: ( ) question

You are absolutely right, Roxanna. And teachers donot diagnose or UNdiagnose AS. And if she "doesn'tsee" him having it anymore....UGH. That is thedumbest statement I have ever heard. It is totallysubjective and based on NOTHING at all. Kaye, a teacher who would NEVER do such a thing. (Andwhat is wrong with the rest of the team? They areidiots too????)--- Roxanna <madideaszoominternet (DOT) net> wrote:> Why would they change his classification just based> on the teacher's opinion? Shouldn't this be a team> decision? I would ask for a meeting to discuss this> in more detail and push the fact that he still> requires all the services. I would also make sure> they have solid data showing improvement. Also> shouldn't they do a re-evaluation before deciding to> change a classification? I would expect that. No> offense to teachers, but I would not appreciate my> child's program being dictated by the whim of one> teacher. > > > Roxanna> Autism Happens> ( ) question> > > Hello, > I haven't posted in a while due to being soooo> busy. I wanted to ask > if anyone knows of an organization with funds or> grants to help with > the expense of doctor/evaluations fees for> (autism/aspergers)? you can > e-mail me off line if you like and in 'subject'> type aspergers. > the school CSE changed my sons diagnosis because> they said today he is > doing much better, that his teacher doesn't see> him as having aspergers > anymore. hmmmmmm, but they said he still needs all> the services, > including resource, speech, social skills, life> skills, but because he > is improving, they changed his classification. > now I'm back to the doctors. > any information on organizations to help with the> fees would be great.> hugs. > > > > __________________________________________________________You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheckin the all-new Beta.http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_html.html

Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Recent Activity

New Members

New LinksVisit Your Group

Get cancer support

Connect w/ others

find help & share

Cancer Support

on

Connect w/ others

find help & share

Yoga Groups

Find Enlightenment

& exhange insights

with other members

Guest guest

I'm not sure about the heavy metal toxicity of the items you listed,

but metals can definitely be a problem for some kids. We haven't

gone that route, but chelation is a popular DAN treatment.

You don't hear this a lot, but I think we absorb more mercury from

our amalgam fillings than from our diet or environment. My teeth are

genetically rotten (both parents have awful teeth). My parents

invested so much effort into protecting my teeth, and it was all for

nothing. They look very nice, but I've had many cavities, six root

canals, and two or three minor oral surgeries. I must be loaded with

mercury... Yuck.

in NJ

>

> Drank decaf iced tea like crazy during pregnancy with son and quite

a

> bit with daughter. Ate too much chocolate then too. Took extra

strength

> tylenol a lot then too for back and kidney pain. Drank flouridated

water

> the entire time. Who knows what is in the town water heavy metal

wise

> (showers)?

>

> While I am following through with celiac testing I am curious about

this:

>

> Could too much heavy metal from this stuff, *maybe* even further

trapped

> by the tylenol, be part of this? The reading I have done tells me

that

> heavy metal toxicity may cause food allergies and celiac-like

stuff. If

> the genetic stuff comes back negative I would be curious. Once

again I

> am over my head. Anyone know about the plausibility of this?

>

> As always you guys are my filter before heading to the doc. Any

thoughts?

>

Guest guest

I think a lot of times, the quiet kids get considered as not having problems. My ds was always paired up with another kid who had AS. The other kid was always mouthy, always trying to make people angry, always arguing for not reason than just to see you get mad. He always got attention. They never considered removing services from him. Then there was my ds - quiet, shy, selectively mute - he was ignored often because the other boy was always so loud and "in your face." When they talked about my kid, it was to compare him with the other and my kid was perfect - wonderful - well behaved - don't even know he has a disability. Apparently, never speaking wasn't considered a problem by anyone. He had major issues - he just kept them inside. It didn't mean he needed less. It just meant he wasn't going to throw chairs at people if he didn't get it.

I've also had experiences with my younger ds with teachers saying he was doing fine and not a problem only to find out later he was having a lot of problems in class, they were just good at ignoring or adapting to those problems. Ever have that happen? I was really upset at the end of 3rd grade when the teacher mentioned that my ds wasn't laying and rolling across the floor as much. I was like, "WHAT??" Apparently, the teacher just let him do it because he was autistic. Or he easily stopped when told to stop. I just wish we had known from the start so we could have helped him deal with whatever was going on in a better way.

I would hate to think any of those teachers over the years would/could have decided whether they felt my kid was autistic or not.

RoxannaAutism Happens

( ) question>>>>>> Hello,>> I haven't posted in a while due to being soooo>> busy. I wanted to ask>> if anyone knows of an organization with funds or>> grants to help with>> the expense of doctor/evaluations fees for>> (autism/aspergers)? you can>> e-mail me off line if you like and in 'subject'>> type aspergers.>> the school CSE changed my sons diagnosis because>> they said today he is>> doing much better, that his teacher doesn't see>> him as having aspergers>> anymore. hmmmmmm, but they said he still needs all>> the services,>> including resource, speech, social skills, life>> skills, but because he>> is improving, they changed his classification.>> now I'm back to the doctors.>> any information on organizations to help with the>> fees would be great.>> hugs.>>>>>>>>>>>> > __________________________________________________________ > ____________> You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck> in the all-new Beta.> http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_html.html>>>

Guest guest

Yeah, my 9 mercury fillings, one that leaked last year, are at issue.

bigcheech91 wrote:

>I'm not sure about the heavy metal toxicity of the items you listed,

>but metals can definitely be a problem for some kids. We haven't

>gone that route, but chelation is a popular DAN treatment.

>

>You don't hear this a lot, but I think we absorb more mercury from

>our amalgam fillings than from our diet or environment. My teeth are

>genetically rotten (both parents have awful teeth). My parents

>invested so much effort into protecting my teeth, and it was all for

>nothing. They look very nice, but I've had many cavities, six root

>canals, and two or three minor oral surgeries. I must be loaded with

>mercury... Yuck.

>

> in NJ

>

>

>

>

>>Drank decaf iced tea like crazy during pregnancy with son and quite

>>

>>

>a

>

>

>>bit with daughter. Ate too much chocolate then too. Took extra

>>

>>

>strength

>

>

>>tylenol a lot then too for back and kidney pain. Drank flouridated

>>

>>

>water

>

>

>>the entire time. Who knows what is in the town water heavy metal

>>

>>

>wise

>

>

>>(showers)?

>>

>>While I am following through with celiac testing I am curious about

>>

>>

>this:

>

>

>>Could too much heavy metal from this stuff, *maybe* even further

>>

>>

>trapped

>

>

>>by the tylenol, be part of this? The reading I have done tells me

>>

>>

>that

>

>

>>heavy metal toxicity may cause food allergies and celiac-like

>>

>>

>stuff. If

>

>

>>the genetic stuff comes back negative I would be curious. Once

>>

>>

>again I

>

>

>>am over my head. Anyone know about the plausibility of this?

>>

>>As always you guys are my filter before heading to the doc. Any

>>

>>

>thoughts?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I hear that all of the new 'environmentally conscious' light bulbs are loaded

with mercury. It may be that chelation is something we all have to do to avoid

all of the nasty diseases such as Alzheimers, parkinsons, ALS, et.

Kind of scary, this world we are building...

Janice

[sPAM] Re: [ ] Re: Question

bigcheech91 wrote:

>

>mercury... Yuck.

>

> in NJ

>

>

>

>

>>

>>

>a

>

>

>>

>>

>strength

>

>

>>

>>

>water

>

>

>>

>>

>wise

>

>

>>(showers)?

>>

>>

>>

>this:

>

>

>>

>>

>trapped

>

>

>>

>>

>that

>

>

>>

>>

>stuff. If

>

>

>>

>>

>again I

>

>

>>

>>

>>

>thoughts?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Sorry, it's Zavala...

Happy Father's Day :)

-------------- Original message --------------

bigcheech91 wrote:

>

>mercury... Yuck.

>

> in NJ

>

>

>

>

>>

>>

>a

>

>

>>

>>

>strength

>

>

>>

>>

>water

>

>

>>

>>

>wise

>

>

>>(showers)?

>>

>>

>>

>this:

>

>

>>

>>

>trapped

>

>

>>

>>

>that

>

>

>>

>>

>stuff. If

>

>

>>

>>

>again I

>

>

>>

>>

>>

>thoughts?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>