RemedySpot.com

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi, Kel. I am in Canada myself. I suspect it doesn't make a diff where you

live...the struggle is the same. The beauty of modern technology! :)

>

> Hi all. Thanks for the welcome. During the night all of the messages came

through, when reading them I realised you all write mom not mum! I did not

realise this was not an Australian group, do you think that matters?

> Kel

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Welcome, Sonya.My daughter Liz is 13. We are in the process of getting her evaluated now, but I have little doubt what the answer will be. You pretty much just described her! From: sonya13@...Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:17:39 +1000Subject: ( ) Newbie

Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya

and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers

a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high

functioning but as you all know there are still issues, her school work is

suffering because she doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she

wants to get back on the computer and watch anime (this is her obsession),

cleanliness is another issue.. constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash

her hair etc and she has social problems which break my heart because she

desperately wants to fit in and just can’t. I can’t wait to talk to other

people with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful!

Any hints and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be

appreciated and what has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am

very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is

hope J

Sonya

Guest guest

My daughter is 13 and I have just had all the evaluations done. I had no doubt what the dx would be, however I was really thrown for a loop when the doctor said no he didn't find any asperger he thinks she is "gifted underachiever" she has all the symptoms of asperger. He has recommended counseling for self help and her lack of wanting to shampoo, shower, teeth brushing, etc all the hygene stuff. She want do any chores around the house. She has lots of problems with sensory issues clothes, lights, noises, and crowds don't even think of taking her to the mall even when I purchase clothes for her it takes forever to get her to try something on. I am going to try home schooling this year, last year (1st yr in middle school) was a disaster she had lots of anxiety. She has

social problems too. She can make friends easy enough but the friendship only last for a short time, does better making friends on the internet and stays on the computer all day long and up until the 2-3 in the morning. She is very artisy and really enjoys drawing. I am really frustrated and at a loss as to which way to go from here. I just can't give up I keep reading books and trying different things but it isn't easy.

From: Barbara Pinckney <b-pinckney@...>Aspergers Treatment Sent: Wed, July 28, 2010 10:50:16 AMSubject: RE: ( ) Newbie

Welcome, Sonya.My daughter Liz is 13. We are in the process of getting her evaluated now, but I have little doubt what the answer will be. You pretty much just described her!

From: sonya13netspace (DOT) net.auDate: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:17:39 +1000Subject: ( ) Newbie

Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high functioning but as you all know there are still issues, her school work is suffering because she doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she wants to get back on the computer and watch anime (this is her obsession), cleanliness is another issue.. constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash her hair etc and she has social problems which break my heart because she desperately wants to fit in and just can’t. I can’t wait to talk to other people with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful! Any hints and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be appreciated and what has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is hope J

Sonya

Guest guest

Sonya, you have just described my 15 1/2 year old daughter to a T also including the anime obsession. They learn many social things with the anime so I am letting her do it with some monitoring. My daughter is sometimes defiant and angry, however she has many problems in addition to the Aspergers.. Cleanliness is such a fight. She now has gingivitis because she won't brush and floss.. I dont' know what to do either. i hope time and growing up helps.

( ) Newbie

Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high functioning but as you all know there are still issues, her school work is suffering because she doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she wants to get back on the computer and watch anime (this is her obsession), cleanliness is another issue.. constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash her hair etc and she has social problems which break my heart because she desperately wants to fit in and just can’t. I can’t wait to talk to other people with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful! Any hints and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be appreciated and what has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is hope J

Sonya

Guest guest

Thanks Liz.. after years of not knowing it was just a relief to finally get an

official diagnosis, when we found out I bawled my eyes out because it was so

final but the relief was bigger than the grief.. I hope you get the answers you

need :)

Sonya

Quoting Barbara Pinckney <b-pinckney@...>:

>

>

>

>

> Welcome, Sonya.

> My daughter Liz is 13. We are in the process of getting her evaluated now,

> but I have little doubt what the answer will be. You pretty much just

> described her!

>

>

> From: sonya13@...

> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:17:39 +1000

> Subject: ( ) Newbie

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya

> and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with

> Aspergers

> a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high

> functioning but as you all know there are still issues, her school work is

> suffering because she doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she

> wants to get back on the computer and watch anime (this is her obsession),

> cleanliness is another issue.. constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash

> her hair etc and she has social problems which break my heart because she

> desperately wants to fit in and just can’t. I can’t wait to talk to other

> people with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful!

> Any hints and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be

> appreciated and what has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

>

> My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am

> very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is

> hope J

>

> Sonya

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au

Guest guest

My daughter who is much like the below girls but also Oppositional Defiant and ADHD was started on Intuniv today. It should take 3-4 weeks to reach an effective dose, so I will let you know how it works out. I know it is hard for people who meet her to believe, but she is actually a sweet girl in so many ways. This year, has been a nightmare, however, and today is an example. She had a doctor's appointment where I was asking for Intuniv. My doctor is a wonderful GP, but tends to be long winded and is an Aspie himself. I am sure. He was trying to convince me that several of the stimulants, which she has already tried, might be the way to go. About that time she got impatient and said, "I'm leaving!" and she did. He then suggested that Intuniv for OD is probably a good choice.. I am just hanging on by my fingernails!

( ) Newbie

Sonya

Guest guest

Just so you're prepared, what I found with Intuniv - at least at the lower doses while you're building to the theraputic levels - is that with my daughter (8 yo) she became MORE agigtated, grouchy and just not nice. Keep going...it did get better. This is our second time trying Intuniv. We hurridly tried to get her on during the school year when things were falling apart in major ways, and with no immediate results (and we NEEDED immediate results then), we stopped and tried something else after a couple of weeks (which also didn't work). This time, the doc suggested we SLOWLY put her on Intuniv - 2 weeks on each of the mg levels. levels. Right now we are at 2mg daily - and will likely increase to 3mg next week. Even going on slowly, we noticed increased anger at the 1 mg. level....but it did get better. Just wanted to share our experience so that you won't be discouraged if things get harder at first.

( ) Newbie

Sonya

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10 02:34:00

Guest guest

My daughter was diagnosed at 2 and is now 5 1/2. Obviously we're dealing with different issues. But, the behaviors are the same and, I think, sometimes the things that help are the same.USE her obsessions. Make anime her reward for keeping up with hygiene. It's quite possible that all the 'steps' in proper hygiene are just so much to think about.. shower: wash hair w shampoo then condition(anime is cool), then wash body (don't forget soap!(anime is cool)  Do you have a washcloth in there already? Did you plan ahead? Do you have a towel ready? Then comb out the hair.. where the heck is the brush anyway? (anime is cool). Try to do anything with your brain all over the place. This is what I see in my daughter.

Since your daughter can read, you can make a checklist. Everytime she fulfills the checklist (in order that you do the steps), she gets 10 mins of anime. When she completes her homework to the best of her ability and you agree that she TRIED her best, another 10 mins of anime. However, this anime time must be done during a certain time and the same time every day. You could limit her use of the anime time to 30mins a day if she has collected that much. Use something to keep track of her anime " points " like making checkmarks on a paper that you keep (to avoid any sudden 'extra checkmarks' that might appear).

Start slowly and calmly. She sure as heck will hate your guts and be very angry but this is how she learns that rewards come AFTER we do what is needed. BUT she does probably need help remembering and understanding the steps that need to be taken to keep good hygiene so it would be unfair to expect her to do it on her own. Write the list on the computer so you can print it up as many times as needed. Better yet, laminate it and post it in the bathroom!!

Maybe get her one of those shower bins they sell for college students. Let her pick out her own shampoo, conditioner, brush, toothbrush (do they have an anime one online? I bet they do! My daughter has a Bakugan one SIGH) and antiperspirant. This portable bin would have everything she needs in one spot so she sees her 'tools' and maybe won't forget. PS With the sensory stuff, she might like all unscented / fragrance free stuff! Might be why she doesn't want to shower! Some of this stuff really stinks!

I know that I will also find a very good therapist for my daughter when she gets older. We are not objective and cannot separate our emotions from the situation enough to help these kids cope with all the crap they have to deal with especially in school. Might want to think about that too.

Hope this helps!On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Sonya <sonya13@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya

and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers

a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high

suffering because she doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she

My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am

very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is

hope J

Sonya

-- ***The Will Of God Will Never Take You ... Where the Grace Of God Will Not Protect You***

Guest guest

Wow Juiie, that gives me something to think about. We will get our feedback on Tuesday...I wonder if I, too, will be surprised by the answer. Your daughter also sounds a lot like mine! From: julie.blood@...Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:13:43 -0700Subject: Re: ( ) Newbie

My daughter is 13 and I have just had all the evaluations done. I had no doubt what the dx would be, however I was really thrown for a loop when the doctor said no he didn't find any asperger he thinks she is "gifted underachiever" she has all the symptoms of asperger. He has recommended counseling for self help and her lack of wanting to shampoo, shower, teeth brushing, etc all the hygene stuff. She want do any chores around the house. She has lots of problems with sensory issues clothes, lights, noises, and crowds don't even think of taking her to the mall even when I purchase clothes for her it takes forever to get her to try something on. I am going to try home schooling this year, last year (1st yr in middle school) was a disaster she had lots of anxiety. She has

social problems too. She can make friends easy enough but the friendship only last for a short time, does better making friends on the internet and stays on the computer all day long and up until the 2-3 in the morning. She is very artisy and really enjoys drawing. I am really frustrated and at a loss as to which way to go from here. I just can't give up I keep reading books and trying different things but it isn't easy.

From: Barbara Pinckney <b-pinckneyhotmail>Aspergers Treatment Sent: Wed, July 28, 2010 10:50:16 AMSubject: RE: ( ) Newbie

Welcome, Sonya.My daughter Liz is 13. We are in the process of getting her evaluated now, but I have little doubt what the answer will be. You pretty much just described her!

From: sonya13netspace (DOT) net.auDate: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:17:39 +1000Subject: ( ) Newbie

Sonya

Guest guest

Thanks. I'm Barb, by daughter is Liz From: sonya13@...Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:06:30 +1000Subject: RE: ( ) Newbie

Thanks Liz.. after years of not knowing it was just a relief to finally get an

official diagnosis, when we found out I bawled my eyes out because it was so

final but the relief was bigger than the grief.. I hope you get the answers you

need :)

Sonya

Quoting Barbara Pinckney <b-pinckney@...>:

>

>

>

>

> Welcome, Sonya.

> but I have little doubt what the answer will be. You pretty much just

> described her!

>

>

> From: sonya13@...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya

> and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with

> Aspergers

> a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high

> functioning but as you all know there are still issues, her school work is

> suffering because she doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she

> wants to get back on the computer and watch anime (this is her obsession),

> cleanliness is another issue.. constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash

> her hair etc and she has social problems which break my heart because she

> desperately wants to fit in and just can’t. I can’t wait to talk to other

> people with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful!

> Any hints and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be

> appreciated and what has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

>

> My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am

> very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is

> hope J

>

> Sonya

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

----------------------------------------------------------

Guest guest

Thank you so much Lori because today is her 2nd day of 1mg and wow what a grouch! Your post was so timely! I was already discouraged as she was really accusatory towards me and asked me what I had dosed her with now! The guilt is tremendous but she just cannot do without.. Fortunately or unfortunately, I am her biggest target and if she is going to be vengeful it will be by telling the world what a monster I am.. I just have to roll with it and people are so shocked because they all think I should do something to her and I just let it roll..

My doctor advised 1 week on each dose level so that is what I will do . We have 1 1/2 weeks until school. Wish I had started in June. How old is your daughter and how is she on the 2mg?

( ) Newbie

Sonya

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10 02:34:00

Guest guest

I now see that you daughter is 8 .. Thanks!

( ) Newbie

Sonya

Guest guest

We had a misdiagnosis with Savannah when she was 10, I was told to take her to

gymnastics to improve her posture and enrol her in a theatre group to improve

her social skills! I believed the psychologist and so began another 5 years of

frustration, until she had a major meltdown at school where I had to go and

pick her up, I went straight to my local GP who gave me a referral to another

psychologist who was fantastic (think it helped that her son had aspergers so

she recognised the symptoms). In Australia you need a psychiatrist to give any

official diagnosis of Apsergers and so after evaluating Savannah over a month,

we then had a conference with a psychiatrist who confirmed Savannah's

diagnosis.. girls are notoriously hard to diagnose and this makes the whole

thing very frustrating.. I don't know if you have the option to get a second

opinion but if you do I would do it.

Not all aspies display all symptoms and that is where I ran into problems

because Savannah was able to make eye contact and was high functioning I didn't

think she had aspergers, it was only after readign about it more and talking to

the pychologist that I realised these kids don't fit into neat little boxes.

Good luck .. I know what you are going through!

Sonya

Quoting JULIE BLOOD <julie.blood@...>:

> My daughter is 13 and I have just had all the evaluations done. I had no

> doubt

> what the dx would be, however I was really thrown for a loop when the doctor

> said no he didn't find any asperger he thinks she is " gifted underachiever "

> she

> has all the symptoms of asperger. He has recommended counseling for self help

> and her lack of wanting to shampoo, shower, teeth brushing, etc all the

> hygene

> stuff. She want do any chores around the house.  She has lots of problems

> with

> sensory issues clothes, lights, noises, and crowds don't even think of taking

> her to the mall even when I purchase clothes for her it takes forever to get

> her

> to try something on.  I am going to try home schooling this year, last year

> (1st

> yr in middle school) was a disaster she had lots of anxiety. She has social

> problems too. She can make friends easy enough but the friendship only last

> for

> a short time,  does better making friends on the internet and stays on the

> computer all day long and up until the 2-3 in the morning. She is very

> artisy

> and really enjoys drawing. I am really frustrated and at a loss as to

> which way

> to go from here. I just can't give up I keep reading books and trying

> different

> things but it isn't easy.

>  

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Barbara Pinckney <b-pinckney@...>

> Aspergers Treatment

> Sent: Wed, July 28, 2010 10:50:16 AM

> Subject: RE: ( ) Newbie

>

>  

> Welcome, Sonya.

> but I

> have little doubt what the answer will be. You pretty much just described

> her!

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> From: sonya13netspace (DOT) net.au

>

>  

>

>

> Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya and I live in

> Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers a few

> months

> ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high functioning

> but

> as you all know there are still issues, her school work is suffering because

> she

> doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she wants to get back on

> the

> computer and watch anime (this is her obsession), cleanliness is another

> issue..

> constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash her hair etc and she has

> social

> problems which break my heart because she desperately wants to fit in and

> just

> can’t. I can’t wait to talk to other people with similar issues, just

> feeling

> not alone is going to be so helpful! Any hints and tips on maybe controlling

> the

> obsession a bit would be appreciated and what has everyone done about

> encouraging hygiene?

> My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am very lucky in that

> respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is hope J

> Sonya

>  

>

>

Guest guest

Wow I am so glad I joined this group, I was feeling very lost and just knowing

that you guys all know what it is like is so reassuring :)

Sonya

Quoting or Sandee Culliton <jculliton@...>:

> Sonya, you have just described my 15 1/2 year old daughter to a T also

> including the anime obsession. They learn many social things with the anime

> so I am letting her do it with some monitoring. My daughter is sometimes

> defiant and angry, however she has many problems in addition to the

> Aspergers.. Cleanliness is such a fight. She now has gingivitis because she

> won't brush and floss.. I dont' know what to do either. i hope time and

> growing up helps.

>

Guest guest

I have to agree with the likelyhood of a wrong diagnosis.. Some doctors just don't want to give an Aspergers diagnosis because it is so complicated. Try another doctor..

( ) Newbie> >  > > > Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya and I live in> Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers a few> months> ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high functioning> but> as you all know there are still issues, her school work is suffering because> she> doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she wants to get back on> the> computer and watch anime (this is her obsession), cleanliness is another> issue..> constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash her hair etc and she has> social> problems which break my heart because she desperately wants to fit in and> just> can’t. I can’t wait to talk to other people with similar issues, just> feeling> not alone is going to be so helpful! Any hints and tips on maybe controlling> the> obsession a bit would be appreciated and what has everyone done about> encouraging hygiene?> My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am very lucky in that> respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is hope J> Sonya>  > > ----------------------------------------------------------This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au

Guest guest

This is similar to what my daughter's therapist suggested, but she fails to take into consideration that this increases the OD behavior which is natural anyway at 15. We do do the organizing, but I am trying other things for hopefully having better hygiene. The idea of nonscented soaps is a good one.

Re: ( ) Newbie

My daughter was diagnosed at 2 and is now 5 1/2. Obviously we're dealing with different issues. But, the behaviors are the same and, I think, sometimes the things that help are the same.USE her obsessions. Make anime her reward for keeping up with hygiene. It's quite possible that all the 'steps' in proper hygiene are just so much to think about.. shower: wash hair w shampoo then condition(anime is cool), then wash body (don't forget soap!(anime is cool) Do you have a washcloth in there already? Did you plan ahead? Do you have a towel ready? Then comb out the hair.. where the heck is the brush anyway? (anime is cool). Try to do anything with your brain all over the place. This is what I see in my daughter.Since your daughter can read, you can make a checklist. Everytime she fulfills the checklist (in order that you do the steps), she gets 10 mins of anime. When she completes her homework to the best of her ability and you agree that she TRIED her best, another 10 mins of anime. However, this anime time must be done during a certain time and the same time every day. You could limit her use of the anime time to 30mins a day if she has collected that much. Use something to keep track of her anime "points" like making checkmarks on a paper that you keep (to avoid any sudden 'extra checkmarks' that might appear).Start slowly and calmly. She sure as heck will hate your guts and be very angry but this is how she learns that rewards come AFTER we do what is needed. BUT she does probably need help remembering and understanding the steps that need to be taken to keep good hygiene so it would be unfair to expect her to do it on her own. Write the list on the computer so you can print it up as many times as needed. Better yet, laminate it and post it in the bathroom!!Maybe get her one of those shower bins they sell for college students. Let her pick out her own shampoo, conditioner, brush, toothbrush (do they have an anime one online? I bet they do! My daughter has a Bakugan one SIGH) and antiperspirant. This portable bin would have everything she needs in one spot so she sees her 'tools' and maybe won't forget. PS With the sensory stuff, she might like all unscented / fragrance free stuff! Might be why she doesn't want to shower! Some of this stuff really stinks!I know that I will also find a very good therapist for my daughter when she gets older. We are not objective and cannot separate our emotions from the situation enough to help these kids cope with all the crap they have to deal with especially in school. Might want to think about that too.Hope this helps!

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Sonya <sonya13netspace (DOT) net.au> wrote:

Sonya

-- ***The Will Of God Will Never Take You ... Where the Grace Of God Will Not Protect You***

Guest guest

Thanks that does help! Brings up another question do most of you do therapy? I

have not been doing any therapy and am wondering if I should.. let me know your

thoughts :)

Sonya

Quoting Holmes <jenuhferr@...>:

> My daughter was diagnosed at 2 and is now 5 1/2. Obviously we're dealing

> with different issues. But, the behaviors are the same and, I think,

> sometimes the things that help are the same.

>

> USE her obsessions. Make anime her reward for keeping up with hygiene. It's

> quite possible that all the 'steps' in proper hygiene are just so much to

> think about.. shower: wash hair w shampoo then condition(anime is cool),

> then wash body (don't forget soap!(anime is cool) Do you have a washcloth

> in there already? Did you plan ahead? Do you have a towel ready? Then comb

> out the hair.. where the heck is the brush anyway? (anime is cool). Try to

> do anything with your brain all over the place. This is what I see in my

> daughter.

>

> Since your daughter can read, you can make a checklist. Everytime she

> fulfills the checklist (in order that you do the steps), she gets 10 mins of

> anime. When she completes her homework to the best of her ability and you

> agree that she TRIED her best, another 10 mins of anime. However, this anime

> time must be done during a certain time and the same time every day. You

> could limit her use of the anime time to 30mins a day if she has collected

> that much. Use something to keep track of her anime " points " like making

> checkmarks on a paper that you keep (to avoid any sudden 'extra checkmarks'

> that might appear).

>

> Start slowly and calmly. She sure as heck will hate your guts and be very

> angry but this is how she learns that rewards come AFTER we do what is

> needed. BUT she does probably need help remembering and understanding the

> steps that need to be taken to keep good hygiene so it would be unfair to

> expect her to do it on her own. Write the list on the computer so you can

> print it up as many times as needed. Better yet, laminate it and post it in

> the bathroom!!

>

> Maybe get her one of those shower bins they sell for college students. Let

> her pick out her own shampoo, conditioner, brush, toothbrush (do they have

> an anime one online? I bet they do! My daughter has a Bakugan one SIGH) and

> antiperspirant. This portable bin would have everything she needs in one

> spot so she sees her 'tools' and maybe won't forget. PS With the sensory

> stuff, she might like all unscented / fragrance free stuff! Might be why she

> doesn't want to shower! Some of this stuff really stinks!

>

> I know that I will also find a very good therapist for my daughter when she

> gets older. We are not objective and cannot separate our emotions from the

> situation enough to help these kids cope with all the crap they have to deal

> with especially in school. Might want to think about that too.

>

> Hope this helps!

>

Guest guest

Sandee,

I can sympathize with the guilt, but we are in the same boat - we have to have medication of some kind. And 3 years later, we're still looking for the medication that works best for her, and that has the fewest side effects. I'm the target too - sometimes I think I should paint a bullseye on my back. :) I just don't take it personally anymore. I know I love her, and I know I'm trying to make the best and most educated decisions I can for her. I gave up worrying about what other people think or suggest. They don't know AS like we do! :) 2mg has been going very well - we are definitely seeing results. Supposedly, the theraputic level is at 4mg, but we are seeing results now. And the grouchyness has faded - just give it time. (Just watch for increased tiredness as you increase - you may need to split dosing, or move dosing to evening, but talk with your doc about that before you change anything) We are 2 weeks away from the start of school too....I can feel my blood pressure increase just typing those words. Ugh!

Lori

( ) Newbie

Sonya

Guest guest

Thanks! I feel a little better.. I have my own bout of depression starting today for some reason..

( ) Newbie

Sonya

Guest guest

Thanks, Lori. My daughter probably weighs twice as much as yours anyway so the

dose would have to be higher. (134 lbs currently and losing). I have been

searching for the right med since she was 8, so it is about 7 years or more..

some meds work for awhile and then they don't seem to work anymore. It is odd.

Last year she developed seizures and I don't know why. She is on Keppra now,

also, and has not had one for almost a year.. She had just finished the Gardisil

series and I don't advise them for high risk girls anymore. Don't know if it was

a coincidence or not, but our world just fell apart after those shots. One just

never knows what causes what.

>

> Sandee,

>

> I can sympathize with the guilt, but we are in the same boat - we have to have

medication of some kind. And 3 years later, we're still looking for the

medication that works best for her, and that has the fewest side effects. I'm

the target too - sometimes I think I should paint a bullseye on my back. :) I

just don't take it personally anymore. I know I love her, and I know I'm trying

to make the best and most educated decisions I can for her. I gave up worrying

about what other people think or suggest. They don't know AS like we do! :)

2mg has been going very well - we are definitely seeing results. Supposedly, the

theraputic level is at 4mg, but we are seeing results now. And the grouchyness

has faded - just give it time. (Just watch for increased tiredness as you

increase - you may need to split dosing, or move dosing to evening, but talk

with your doc about that before you change anything) We are 2 weeks away from

the start of school too....I can feel my blood pressure increase just typing

those words. Ugh!

>

> Lori

>

> ( ) Newbie

>

>

>

>

> Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya and I

live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers a few

months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high

suffering because she doesn't focus on the work she needs to do because she

desperately wants to fit in and just can't. I can't wait to talk to other people

with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful! Any hints

and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be appreciated and what

has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

>

> My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am very lucky

in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is hope J

>

> Sonya

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

> Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10

02:34:00

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

> Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10

>

Guest guest

My pediatrician's office will no longer give the Gardisil vaccine based on the

reaction it caused in one of their patients. They did not reveal all of the

specifics, but said that the young lady was once headed off to college and that

now her life was devastated as the result of the effects of the vaccine. So sad.

By the way, about the Keppra, another child we know takes that and her parents

have found that there is a world of difference between how effective the generic

and brand name versions are. I used to think that the generic prescriptions were

exactly the same, but it turns out not to be the case.

> >

> > Sandee,

> >

> > I can sympathize with the guilt, but we are in the same boat - we have to

have medication of some kind. And 3 years later, we're still looking for the

the target too - sometimes I think I should paint a bullseye on my back. :) I

just don't take it personally anymore. I know I love her, and I know I'm trying

to make the best and most educated decisions I can for her. I gave up worrying

about what other people think or suggest. They don't know AS like we do! :)

2mg has been going very well - we are definitely seeing results. Supposedly, the

theraputic level is at 4mg, but we are seeing results now. And the grouchyness

has faded - just give it time. (Just watch for increased tiredness as you

increase - you may need to split dosing, or move dosing to evening, but talk

with your doc about that before you change anything) We are 2 weeks away from

the start of school too....I can feel my blood pressure increase just typing

those words. Ugh!

> >

> > Lori

> >

> > ( ) Newbie

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya and I

live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers a few

months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high

suffering because she doesn't focus on the work she needs to do because she

desperately wants to fit in and just can't. I can't wait to talk to other people

with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful! Any hints

and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be appreciated and what

has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

> >

> > My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am very

lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is hope J

> >

> > Sonya

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

> > Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date:

07/29/10 02:34:00

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >

> >

> >

> > Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10

> >

>

Guest guest

One thing we know about AS - if we don't have patience BEFORE we have a child with AS, you will FIND it after. I definitely fit into this category. :) Each day is a test of patience for me. Things do get better - even if it's only temporary. I love the summers now - I have little to no stress - but the school year is approaching - and who knows what will happen then. ;)

( ) Newbie

Sonya

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3040 - Release Date: 07/30/10 14:34:00

Guest guest

I used to say the good Lord looked at me after 14 years of

raising children and said, “You still have not learned to be patient.  You will

learn now!”  LOL!!

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Lori

Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:53 AM

Subject: Re: ( ) Newbie

One

thing we know about AS - if we don't have patience BEFORE we have a child with

AS, you will FIND it after. I definitely fit into this

category. :) Each day is a test of patience for me. Things do

get better - even if it's only temporary. I love the summers now - I have

little to no stress - but the school year is approaching - and who knows what

will happen then. ;)

-----

Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, July 30,

2010 11:28 AM

Subject: Re:

( ) Newbie

Thanks!

I feel a little better.. I have my own bout of depression starting today for

some reason..

-----

Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, July 30,

2010 8:27 AM

Subject: Re:

( ) Newbie

Sandee,

I

can sympathize with the guilt, but we are in the same boat - we have to have

medication of some kind. And 3 years later, we're still looking for the

the target too - sometimes I think I should paint a bullseye on my back.

:) I just don't take it personally anymore. I know I love her, and

I know I'm trying to make the best and most educated decisions I can for her. I

gave up worrying about what other people think or suggest. They don't

know AS like we do! :) 2mg has been going very well - we are definitely

seeing results. Supposedly, the theraputic level is at 4mg, but we are

seeing results now. And the grouchyness has faded - just give it

time. (Just watch for increased tiredness as you increase - you may need to split

dosing, or move dosing to evening, but talk with your doc about that

before you change anything) We are 2 weeks away from the start of school

too....I can feel my blood pressure increase just typing those words. Ugh!

Lori

( ) Newbie

Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is

Sonya and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with

Aspergers a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She

is high functioning but as you all know there are still issues, her school work

is suffering because she doesn’t focus on the work she needs to do because she

My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I

am very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is

hope J

Sonya

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10

Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10

Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3040 - Release Date: 07/30/10

14:34:00

Guest guest

She is on the generic Keppra and it works well for her. She almost died on the Lamictal generic. She developed s- which can be fatal.. We did catch it right away so that is good. Those symptoms are gone, but I swear, her other odd behaviors are worse since the shots and the reaction to Lamictal.. I guess we will just wait and see. We registered for school today and she was just on the verge of a meltdown.. so was my husband. the crowds, noise and confusion.. I am keeping my fingers crossed...From: bridget <beanniferj@...> Sent: Fri, July 30, 2010 9:18:12 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Newbie

My pediatrician's office will no longer give the Gardisil vaccine based on the reaction it caused in one of their patients. They did not reveal all of the specifics, but said that the young lady was once headed off to college and that now her life was devastated as the result of the effects of the vaccine. So sad. By the way, about the Keppra, another child we know takes that and her parents have found that there is a world of difference between how effective the generic and brand name versions are. I used to think that the generic prescriptions were exactly the same, but it turns out not to be the case.

> >

> > Sandee,

> >

> > I can sympathize with the guilt, but we are in the same boat - we have to have medication of some kind. And 3 years later, we're still looking for the medication that works best for her, and that has the fewest side effects. I'm the target too - sometimes I think I should paint a bullseye on my back. :) I just don't take it personally anymore. I know I love her, and I know I'm trying to make the best and most educated decisions I can for her. I gave up worrying about what other people think or suggest. They don't know AS like we do! :) 2mg has been going very well - we are definitely seeing results. Supposedly, the theraputic level is at 4mg, but we are seeing results now. And the grouchyness has faded - just give it time. (Just watch for increased tiredness as you increase - you may need to split dosing, or move dosing to evening, but talk with your doc about that before you change anything) We are 2 weeks away from the start of school

too....I can feel my blood pressure increase just typing those words. Ugh!

> >

> > Lori

> >

> > ( ) Newbie

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi everyone, I have just joined this group, my name is Sonya and I live in Australia, my 15 ½ year old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers a few months ago and we have been working through it ever since. She is high functioning but as you all know there are still issues, her school work is suffering because she doesn't focus on the work she needs to do because she wants to get back on the computer and watch anime (this is her obsession), cleanliness is another issue.. constantly nagging her to wear deodorant, wash her hair etc and she has social problems which break my heart because she desperately wants to fit in and just can't. I can't wait to talk to other people with similar issues, just feeling not alone is going to be so helpful! Any hints and tips on maybe controlling the obsession a bit would be appreciated and what has everyone done about encouraging hygiene?

> >

> > My daughter is very rarely defiant or angry so I know I am very lucky in that respect and she is open to helping herself... so there is hope J

> >

> > Sonya

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ----------------------------------------------------------

> >

> >

> >

> > Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10 02:34:00

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ----------------------------------------------------------

> >

> >

> >

> > Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3036 - Release Date: 07/29/10 02:34:00

> >

>

Guest guest

I agree with you there! I have learned so much by having this child and most people do not understand these things. Most professionals don't. From: Lori <lori.hayes6@...> Sent: Sat, July 31, 2010 8:52:47 AMSubject: Re: ( )

One thing we know about AS - if we don't have patience BEFORE we have a child with AS, you will FIND it after. I definitely fit into this category. :) Each day is a test of patience for me. Things do get better - even if it's only temporary. I love the summers now - I have little to no stress - but the school year is approaching - and who knows what will happen then. ;)

( ) Newbie

Sonya

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3040 - Release Date: 07/30/10 14:34:00