RemedySpot.com
Guest guest

Dr. Weil and olive leaf extract

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Some notes on olive leaf extract from Dr. Weil

Curious About Olive Leaf Extract? I've been reading about olive leaf extract being so good for so many things. What can you tell me about it?-- Anonymous

(Published 8/4/00) Olive leaf extract (Olea europa) is being heavily promoted these days as a treatment for a variety of viral conditions (including the flu) as well as for the prevention of heart disease. The active ingredient is said to be oleuropein, a bitter substance that is removed from olives during processing. In fact, a number of laboratory studies have shown that this compound may help protect against both heart disease and cancer. Scientists in Rome, for instance, recently published results from a study with rabbits. They found that a diet supplemented with oleuropein had a beneficial effect on the bunnies' low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol -- making it more resistant to oxidation, a change that would lower the risk of heart disease if it were proven to work in humans, too. Preliminary research from Italy looks promising. A recent study concluded that the lower rates of heart disease among people who follow a Mediterranean diet were due to the consumption of olive oil itself, as well as the "unique antioxidant properties" of the phenol compounds (including oleuropein) it contains. Olive leaf extract has also shown promise as an antiviral in the treatment of hepatitis C and is an ingredient in the formula Chinese physician Qingcai Zhang, M.D., has developed to treat this disease. All of this is very promising, but so far, no good studies have confirmed that taking olive oil extract actually enhances human health. I don't see the point in taking this supplement until we know for sure that olive leaf extract can protect against heart disease or increase the potency of treatments for viral infections. However, we have ample evidence that the Mediterranean diet -- which relies on olive oil as its principal dietary fat -- is protective against heart disease and cancer. I have long advocated using olive oil, a monounsaturated fat, in place of polyunsaturated vegetable oils or saturated fats such as butter.