RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re:My Daughter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi everyone out there.

Things are going along well. We are ending day 3 of the intro diet and no diarrhea at all. I'm still amazed.

Here's my latest concern. I swear I can't go one day without a worry. So here it is:

someone heard me talking about Rach and this diet and this woman said that her sister had done something similar. She said she used to be plump and then went on a similar diet and she got to where she looked like a Holocaust survivor. That freaked me out a bit.

Then I'm talking to a friend today who is a nurse and she got me all worried too. So, I looked on line at a height/weight chart and Rach is in the perfect zone. Whew!!

But all that to say - What can she eat that won't let her lose a ton of weight? She can't afford to lose anymore. She's 13 years old, 5 foot, and 106 pounds.

She can't have dairy. That's her food intolerance. So on this intro she's eating chicken, chicken broth, carrots, jello and hamburger patties. and a few times she's fried up some egg yolks (as she can't have egg whites). A few more days of this and then we will start Phaze 1 of the diet which I think adds some fruits and veggies. But, is this enough? Is she getting fat? What do I do differently so she doesn't lose weight?

My hubby said that of course she's lost some weight because before the SCD she was eating tons of dairy, including ice cream every night. plus gluten free goodies, (brownies, etc.)

Just wanted some feedback.

I guess I also want to make sure this is a very healthy diet. I guess I know it is, compared to what other teens eat on a daily basis. But is she getting enough nutrients?

Plus with not being able to eat dairy, that eliminates the homemade yogurt.

Is there a smoothie out there that is dairy free and ok on this diet? Anyway, let me know what you all think of my latest worry.

If I survive parenthood, it will be a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marla

m: Wizop Marilyn L. Alm To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:50:21 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

At 03:46 PM 12/3/2008, you wrote:

Just to say that ascorbic acid is a form of Vitamin C that irritates the gut. It gives me diarrhea. Try fruit puree from the health food shop with nothing in at all.Find a form of Vitamin C which is not derived from corn and you may be able to tolerate it. Apple sauce or other fruit purees should be homemade for this very reason.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

>

> How long til the D stops on the intro diet?

No one knows.

> Also, with this chicken broth, do I take the chicken pieces out once it cooks

for 4

> hours? So, all she eats is the broth with pureed carrots, - is what I'm

understanding.

> Is that right?

Per the recipe on page 68:

" Simmer for 4 hours and the strain soup through a colander.

Skim off top layer of fat.

Puree carrots in blender and return to broth.

Remove skin from chicken parts and return to broth.

Onions, celery and parsley should not be used at the start of the

dietary regime because the fibrous parts of these vegetables may cause

problems. "

> also, do I keep her on her supplements during the 5 day intro?

Skip them if you can.

> And as far as applesauce, - I know that it's not listed but she needs it in

order to open her

> probiotic and other supplements as she can't swallow capsules. So can I still

let her have

> a little applesauce to get the supplements in her?

Is the applesauce homemade? If not it's suspect. (Rule of thumb:

anything not homemade is suspect.) Apple skins contain pectin and can

be a problem. Is homemade yogurt an option? How about mashed banana?

(Make sure they're v-e-r-y ripe.)

> I'm desperate at this point and on the verge of tears and just

> losing it. I honestly can't take much more. When it's happening to you, it's

one thing. But

> when it's your kid and you're a mom who feels hopeless, it's very difficult.

I'm not a parent so I can't help you there. Someone else mentioned

about getting her involved with everything. Have her read the book,

choose the foods and help cook. Heck, I'm a 46 year-old guy and now I

have to spend 10 times more time than I used to shopping and cooking.

(At LEAST 10 times, probably more like 20.)

> As far as school, she went the last two days for 1 hour and is doing well with

going. The

> anxiety is gut related, but it also is that she'll feel trapped in the class

and can't get out if

> she has a panic attack, etc.

Anxiety is the right word to use instead of stress. Stress is

anything that causes a reaction in the body -- being hot or cold,

tired, hungry, full, injury, having to pee, illness, anxiety, etc.

(IOW anxiety is a type of stress.) Another vicious cycle is the

anxiety is gut related and the gut [problem] is exacerbated by

anxiety. Your body has a certain capacity to handle stress/insult.

All stresses consume that capacity and once certain thresholds are

reached things go wonky. Be sure to look at all aspects -- exercise,

sleep, hygiene, environmental issues, etc.

>

> canadine, veget. polysaccharide capsule, cellulose,

> cellulose, silica, stearic acid, rice flour. contains soybean

> oil.

> Magnesium citrate, magnesium ascorbate, zinc, stevia, natural orange flavor

> probiotic:

> hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, cellulose,

> water, fructose, hydroxylated lecithin, potassium sorbate, citric acid.

> contains lecithin from soy

> inositol:

> cellulose, gelatin, veget. stearate

> L-Glutamine:

> gelatin, water, glycerin

> iodine drops:

> citric acid, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sure others have responded but

there are may illegal/suspect ingredients here.

> But she just said

> that she's never totally felt great yet on this diet. (When she got

> diagnosed with celiac and went GF, within 2 weeks we saw a huge positive

> change in her.)

Avoiding gluten may have been the step-function improvement and now

it's more incremental. (I have more theories on celiac but don't have

time now...)

> So, do you think she hasn't felt totally great on this diet

> due to these supplements that are illegal?

Could be...?

> And once we stop them which will

> be immediately, we'll see more improvement?

Don't know.

> Also, her anxiety isn't totally

> gone. and I know her anxiety is gut related. So could her anxiety also

> improve once these supplements are eliminated?

Don't know.

I've theorized that during healing/improving the chronic symptoms

improve but you, or at least *I*, become more sensitive to little

things. In my case (ulceritive colitis 1.5 years) my daily episodes

are greatly reduced but I have widely (and wildly) varying acute

episodes, both within days and day-to-day.

Take a look here for more resources if you haven't already: http://scdiet.net/

Cheers,

DF in MA

UC June '07

SCD Nov '08

Guest guest

Is there a smoothie that doesn't use dairy?

Does a person get all of the nutrients they need on this diet?

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:11:54 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Hi everyone out there.

Things are going along well. We are ending day 3 of the intro diet and no diarrhea at all. I'm still amazed.

Here's my latest concern. I swear I can't go one day without a worry. So here it is:

someone heard me talking about Rach and this diet and this woman said that her sister had done something similar. She said she used to be plump and then went on a similar diet and she got to where she looked like a Holocaust survivor. That freaked me out a bit.

Then I'm talking to a friend today who is a nurse and she got me all worried too. So, I looked on line at a height/weight chart and Rach is in the perfect zone. Whew!!

But all that to say - What can she eat that won't let her lose a ton of weight? She can't afford to lose anymore. She's 13 years old, 5 foot, and 106 pounds.

She can't have dairy. That's her food intolerance. So on this intro she's eating chicken, chicken broth, carrots, jello and hamburger patties. and a few times she's fried up some egg yolks (as she can't have egg whites). A few more days of this and then we will start Phaze 1 of the diet which I think adds some fruits and veggies. But, is this enough? Is she getting fat? What do I do differently so she doesn't lose weight?

My hubby said that of course she's lost some weight because before the SCD she was eating tons of dairy, including ice cream every night. plus gluten free goodies, (brownies, etc.)

I guess I also want to make sure this is a very healthy diet. I guess I know it is, compared to what other teens eat on a daily basis. But is she getting enough nutrients?

Is there a smoothie out there that is dairy free and ok on this diet? Anyway, let me know what you all think of my latest worry.

If I survive parenthood, it will be a miracle!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Marla

m: Wizop Marilyn L. Alm <LouisianaSCDLagniap pegmail (DOT) com>To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.comSent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:50:21 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Just to say that ascorbic acid is a form of Vitamin C that irritates the gut. It gives me diarrhea. Try fruit puree from the health food shop with nothing in at all.Find a form of Vitamin C which is not derived from corn and you may be able to tolerate it. Apple sauce or other fruit purees should be homemade for this very reason.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

Marla,Sure. Make up your own recipe.For example: Try banana, coconut milk (homemade), orange juicediluted half and half with water, ice - if you livesomewhere warm, and fresh ginger if she likesthat. Add in a bit of legal vanilla too, if you like. Or you could use fresh cider instead of orange juice. (also diluted.) Once she starts eating berries, you could add inthose as well. Look, everyone loses weight during intro. So don't worryabout that. Once her guts are in better shape and some necessaryhealing has gone on and she starts eating the nuts again,she'll put more weight back on easily. Buy virgin coconut oil for cooking her food with. It'sa very healthy oil that is naturally anti-fungal and anti-microbial, which will help with the pathogenic bacterialovergrowth. Have you tried making ghee from (organic) butter? Itgets rid of al the milk solids leaving only the fat content,and (correct me if I'm wrong someone) I believepeople who can't tolerate casein from milk areable to eat ghee. And that of course is anotherhealthy fat. You can slather that on hercarrot puree and spinach puree. Or, if youdon't want to use that, try the coconut oilinstead. For vitamins, try the SCD freeda vitamins:SCD multi and B vitamin complex. MaraIs there a smoothie that doesn't use dairy?Does a person get all of the nutrients they need on this diet?MarlaTo: BTVC-SCD Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:11:54 PMSubject: Re: Re:My DaughterHi everyone out there.Things are going along well. We are ending day 3 of the intro diet and no diarrhea at all. I'm still amazed.Here's my latest concern. I swear I can't go one day without a worry. So here it is:someone heard me talking about Rach and this diet and this woman said that her sister had done something similar. She said she used to be plump and then went on a similar diet and she got to where she looked like a Holocaust survivor. That freaked me out a bit.Then I'm talking to a friend today who is a nurse and she got me all worried too. So, I looked on line at a height/weight chart and Rach is in the perfect zone. Whew!!But all that to say - What can she eat that won't let her lose a ton of weight? She can't afford to lose anymore. She's 13 years old, 5 foot, and 106 pounds. She can't have dairy. That's her food intolerance. So on this intro she's eating chicken, chicken broth, carrots, jello and hamburger patties. and a few times she's fried up some egg yolks (as she can't have egg whites). A few more days of this and then we will start Phaze 1 of the diet which I think adds some fruits and veggies. But, is this enough? Is she getting fat? What do I do differently so she doesn't lose weight?My hubby said that of course she's lost some weight because before the SCD she was eating tons of dairy, including ice cream every night. plus gluten free goodies, (brownies, etc.)Just wanted some feedback.I guess I also want to make sure this is a very healthy diet. I guess I know it is, compared to what other teens eat on a daily basis. But is she getting enough nutrients?Plus with not being able to eat dairy, that eliminates the homemade yogurt.Is there a smoothie out there that is dairy free and ok on this diet? Anyway, let me know what you all think of my latest worry.If I survive parenthood, it will be a miracle!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!Marla m: Wizop Marilyn L. Alm <LouisianaSCDLagniap pegmail (DOT) com>To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.comSent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:50:21 PMSubject: Re: Re:My DaughterAt 03:46 PM 12/3/2008, you wrote:Just to say that ascorbic acid is a form of Vitamin C that irritates the gut. It gives me diarrhea. Try fruit puree from the health food shop with nothing in at all.Find a form of Vitamin C which is not derived from corn and you may be able to tolerate it. Apple sauce or other fruit purees should be homemade for this very reason.— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

More questions-

where do I get coconut milk?

the fresh cider at our store has some other things in it besides apples - looks like preservatives. i'm assuming they aren't legal.

Virgin coconut oil to cook - can't I just use virgin olive oil?

how do you make ghee?

where do I get freeda vitamins?

Also, I had a brilliant idea. Tell me if I can use the dry curd c.c. for smoothies.

And I had a revelation. I used to fill plastic store bought water bottles with tap water every night for us to use the following day. Could that be where she got the bacteria?

Just wondering.

Also, what is legal vanilla?

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:52:53 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Marla,

Sure. Make up your own recipe.

For example: Try banana, coconut milk (homemade), orange juice

diluted half and half with water, ice - if you live

somewhere warm, and fresh ginger if she likes

that. Add in a bit of legal vanilla too, if you like.

Or you could use fresh cider instead of orange juice.

(also diluted.)

Once she starts eating berries, you could add in

those as well.

Look, everyone loses weight during intro. So don't worry

about that. Once her guts are in better shape and some necessary

healing has gone on and she starts eating the nuts again,

she'll put more weight back on easily.

Buy virgin coconut oil for cooking her food with. It's

a very healthy oil that is naturally anti-fungal and anti-

microbial, which will help with the pathogenic bacterial

overgrowth.

Have you tried making ghee from (organic) butter? It

gets rid of al the milk solids leaving only the fat content,

and (correct me if I'm wrong someone) I believe

people who can't tolerate casein from milk are

able to eat ghee. And that of course is another

healthy fat. You can slather that on her

carrot puree and spinach puree. Or, if you

don't want to use that, try the coconut oil

instead.

For vitamins, try the SCD freeda vitamins:

SCD multi and B vitamin complex.

Mara

Is there a smoothie that doesn't use dairy?

Does a person get all of the nutrients they need on this diet?

Marla

From: Dusty Pruett <dustman8625@ sbcglobal. net>To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.comSent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:11:54 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Hi everyone out there.

If I survive parenthood, it will be a miracle!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Marla

m: Wizop Marilyn L. Alm <LouisianaSCDLagniap pegmail (DOT) com>To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.comSent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:50:21 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Guest guest

>

> Is there a smoothie that doesn't use dairy?

Any that you make.

For clarification purposes what do you mean when you say " dairy? "

Fluid milk? Homemade yogurt? Fermented cheese? If your daughter's

dairy intolerance is to fluid milk you may find she's OK with homemade

yogurt and legal cheese.

Have you made yogurt? It's one of the staples of the SCD. Perhaps

you could try introducing it assuming the intro period goes well. And

it can make a great smoothie :-)

> Does a person get all of the nutrients they need on this diet?

Yes, assuming you eat a variety of food, not just a handful of favorites.

Marla, may I suggest you trim previous posts to make them more readable?

--

Cheers,

DF in MA

UC June '07

SCD Nov '08

Guest guest

>

> where do I get coconut milk?

Sorry, can't help you there.

> the fresh cider at our store has some other things in it besides apples -

> looks like preservatives. i'm assuming they aren't legal.

I'd be cautious. Cider containing only apples shouldn't be hard to find.

> Virgin coconut oil to cook - can't I just use virgin olive oil?

Olive oil is legal but safflower oil behaves better when exposed to

heat. Olive oil is better as a cold ingredient.

> how do you make ghee?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee#Preparation

> where do I get freeda vitamins?

http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/freedavitamins.html

> Also, I had a brilliant idea. Tell me if I can use the dry curd c.c. for

> smoothies.

Yes. And brilliant :-)

> And I had a revelation. I used to fill plastic store bought water bottles

> with tap water every night for us to use the following day. Could that be

> where she got the bacteria?

Probably not since the bacteria you'd find on a water bottle is

probably different than what you'll find in her colon. That said,

it's a good idea to wash water bottles frequently. Bleach is a good

disinfectant -- use sparingly and very diluted.

> Also, what is legal vanilla?

Natural vanilla extract, not that fabricated crap -- it's spendy though...

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/kb/vanilla_extract.htm

IMHO I'd go easy with vanilla out of the gate...and this is coming

from a person who searched his kitchen this morning for vanilla

extract while making banana pancakes :-) Extracts of all kinds are

highly concentrated and could be an irritant.

--

Cheers,

DF in MA

UC June '07

SCD Nov '08

Guest guest

>

> someone heard me talking about Rach and this diet and this woman said that

> her sister had done something similar. She said she used to be plump and

> then went on a similar diet and she got to where she looked like a Holocaust

> survivor. That freaked me out a bit.

Ignore her.

> But all that to say - What can she eat that won't let her lose a ton of

> weight? She can't afford to lose anymore. She's 13 years old, 5 foot, and

> 106 pounds.

That's not crazy skinny. Nothing to worry about. I know adult women

that weigh less than that.

> She can't have dairy. That's her food intolerance. So on this intro she's

> eating chicken, chicken broth, carrots, jello and hamburger patties.

What's in the jello? I recommend grinding your own beef vs. store

bought hamburger.

> A few more days of this and then we will start Phase 1 of the diet which I

> think adds some fruits and veggies. But, is this enough? Is she getting

> fat?

She'll be fine.

> I guess I also want to make sure this is a very healthy diet. I guess I know

> it is, compared to what other teens eat on a daily basis. But is she getting

> enough nutrients?

Absolutely. Think about it -- there are only a two things she can't

eat: di- and polysaccharides :-)

It's a matter of unlearning old dietary habits, which is actually

harder than learning new ones. I'd be lying if I said I don't crave

bagels, pizza, pasta and an occasional brownie but considering the

downside it's an easy decision to make.

> Anyway, let me know what you all think of my latest worry.

> If I survive parenthood, it will be a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As has been mentioned, get her involved. How about getting her on the

e-mail list for support?

--

Cheers,

DF in MA

UC June '07

SCD Nov '08

Guest guest

More questions-where do I get coconut milk?buy shredded coconut with no additives. Boil water. in a 3:2 ratio (e.g. 3/3 cup of milkto 2/3 cup coconut, add the boiling water to the shredded coconut and let sit for a whilethen blend together for 4 minutes. Then strain using a fine strainer or a tea towel overa bowl. Push the coconut down or squeeze the cloth to extract all the liquid. Voilacoconut milk. the fresh cider at our store has some other things in it besides apples - looks like preservatives. i'm assuming they aren't legal.Some are. what additives. Go to pecanbread.com site to look up which additives are legal and illegal. Virgin coconut oil to cook - can't I just use virgin olive oil?you can, but variety is nice and they give a different taste and havedifferent health benefits. how do you make ghee?where do I get freeda vitamins?google it for the best price or buy it at Lucy's:http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/freedavitamins.html Also, I had a brilliant idea. Tell me if I can use the dry curd c.c. for smoothies.I thought she can't eat dairy? If she can eat DCCC, then make her cheesecakeas per the recipe in BTVC. And I had a revelation. I used to fill plastic store bought water bottles with tap water every night for us to use the following day. Could that be where she got the bacteria?Just wondering. Also, what is legal vanilla?Vanilla with no sugar added. This was discussed earlier today in a different thread. Read the other posts. Mara

Guest guest

I'm sure it's been posted 100 times but how do you make ghee?

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:43:20 AMSubject: Re:My Daughter

Hey Marla,I certainly understand you being depressed and feeling upset about allof this. There is so much data about the triggers of stress and thehormones it releases. What your daughter is going through is veryreal.. It's not just all in her head- I am not saying you are sayingthat!! I would think finding some of the reasons why she is sofearful in the first place and perhaps doing some energy bio-feedbackto help calm her.As for the soup:The soup needs to cook for four hours!! A slow rolling boil is best.All chicken parts (I like drum sticks) and carrots are permitted. Ialso load it up with sea salt. It is important that you buy the bigcarrots and not baby carrots. After the soup is done cooking take thecarrots out and puree them and add back to soup. I also find thatadding a marrow bone to the broth really enriches it! No onions,celery or parsely is permitted at this point. It

seems long andarduous but it will be over soon!! She can eat broiled meat patties like turkey, beef and even somebroiled fish is she can tolerate that.Apple Cider is good too (Elaine permitted store bought fresh applecider the opaque one that goes bad- not the one that sits on the shelf.)Since dairy is a problem for her I would also suggest you read GAPS byDr Natasha McBride. It stands for "Gut and PsychologySyndrome". This book is beyond enlightening. It basically is SCDwith some differences as NCM comes from the perspective of the Autismworld- she allows bifidus in the diet (which is SCD/Elaine illegal)and she also focuses on lifestyle and green living. Don't worry aboutthose things- the reason this book is so enlightening as it actuallydescribes how we get to this diseased state and how it effects us alsomentally and it really maps out how all of this stuff is

inter-connected.She also talks about dairy sensitivity and therefor doesn't allowdairy first 6 months on diet. She does however allow Ghee which isclarified butter. All of these ideas are things PecanBread discussesas well.. The thing is one has to kind of scratch the surface of PBto get this data. Therefor in GAPS it is right in front of us. Gheeis very delicious and satiating. Also, she has a protocol for addingeggs back into diet.. So perhaps after the couple of days you canlook into ghee.. As this will help her feel satiated.So there are options and it takes some work..I don't know how anti your daughter will be about this intro diet.Perhaps there is a way that you focus on this diet and explain to herso no emergencies will happen with her health- as her health is themost important things! In order to get out of this maybe schoolshouldn't be the focus -right now- so she won't feel

pressured andstressed about it. The stress is really bad for her and all of you!I know this seems like giving into her but I think maybe then you canexplore what is driving her anxiety about school..Good luck.. It's not easy and is very trying..I feel for you as I know how difficult it is with myself. I cannotimagine what it is to go through with a kid. Many of us have beenthere and also through this roller coaster.. this diet does work itjust takes time and patience.Hang in and be strong!!And ask as many questions as you need to..JodiSCD 14 monthsCrohn's/Colitis