RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome, PrincessPurple! I, too, am in Elk Grove (just a little bit south of Sacramento) and go to Kaiser South Sac. I have been in the referral/approval process for 7 months, and just got my approval letter from Kaiser last week. I did, however, go to the surgery support group at Point West. Is that the one you mean? Or do you mean the meeting with the nutritionist (which is the first step in Kaiser's referral process). We can answer your question about what happens at the appointment if you let us know a little more.

The next time you're at Kaiser, stop by the Education office (some Kaisers call it the library) and pick up the booklet on Obesity Surgery. They don't put it out -- you have to ask for it. You know, it's a secret club, LOL!

Assuming you're at the beginning of the process, I'll answer some of the stuff I know. Others will pitch in, and you'll get some wonderful information.

After you have the meeting with the nutritionist, you'll get an appointment with a psychologist. Michal Dubineck in South Sacramento is WONDERFUL and works with lots of gastric bypass patients. They'll evaluate you for appropriate mental state (no big deal, just to find out if you understand the risks of the procedure, the changed eating required, the need for exercise, etc.) Then your PCP will submit the paperwork to SSF (where they coordinate all California surgeries) and they will send you an approval letter.

You will be approved for either South San Francisco or San Diego. If you get San Diego (Pacific Bariatrics through Mercy Scripps Medical Center) - as I am - Kaiser will pay for all of your travel expenses, hotel, plane fare, etc., except meals (which you won't have to worry about anyway, following the surgery.) I'm attending a Pacific Bariatrics meeting on January 13 (the soonest one they offer in Sacramento). I'll know more then.

If you get assigned to South San Francisco, you'll meet with a surgeon there, be required to go to support group and informational meetings, etc. I'm not really sure about the whole process for SSF. Others here will be able to tell you that. But I know there are 3 or 4 required meetings/appointments in SSF.

When you get some free time, go back into the archives (i.e. the previous messages) on this list (at Yahoogroups.com) and you'll learn a LOT by reading the old messages. Keep posting here -- this is an incredible group of people with lots and lots of knowledge about Kaiser and WLS.

Welcome!

Laurie W.

Hi, I just got my first appointment for obesity surgery support group, can anyone tell me what to expect from this first appointment? I was so excited to find this group, I'm with kaiser sacramento and this is the first time I've ever joined an internet group. I would love to here from someone on what to expect from here on in from kaiser, I have done alot of research on the surgery itself but have not found any info from kaiser. Thanks alot in advance!

Guest guest

Hi boots,

Welcome to the club. Are there any specific questions you have? If

there are please feel free to post them and we will try our best to

answer them. Also feel free to read past post as there has been a ton

of wonderful information shared already that im sure would help you.

Shell

> I have recently joined this group hoping to find out more info.

about

> gastric bypass. I am a Kaiser patient with a BMI of approx. 50 and

at

> least 2 possibly more comorbidities. So any information any of you

> can pass on to me will be a big help.

Guest guest

What is it you want to know? Feel free to list specific questions and we will answer for you. Also, you can go to obesityhelp.com for more general information about different types of surgeries and insurance. Thanks.

Hugs,

Pat B.

-----Original Message----- Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 7:40 PMTo: gastric-bypass-support-kaiser-patients Subject: New memberI have recently joined this group hoping to find out more info. about gastric bypass. I am a Kaiser patient with a BMI of approx. 50 and at least 2 possibly more comorbidities. So any information any of you can pass on to me will be a big help.

Guest guest

Welcome Oreta!

Where are you located? I'm also in the pre-stages and currently

attending the required nutrition class through Kaiser here in socal.

This group is a wonderful source of info and support.

Another source for info is www.obesity.com and

www.pacificbariatric.com (Most Kaiser patients are referred to

Pacific Bariatric after approval). The site is also a good source of

info.

Angie

Guest guest

that's only is you have a BMI of 50 or more

Marisa,I forgot a couple of points. At the Kaiser seminar, you will be told that Kaiser requires you to lose 10% of your body weight. If you're referred to PB, it varies by surgeon. After I heard about Kaiser's policy, I began Weight Watchers on January 3rd to get a head start -- this was knowing that Kaiser had my original referral weight on file.One other thing I thought of -- when I was weighed back in October at my PCP visit - -the Medical Assistant saw the scale rising -- I guess to numbers she thought were high enough and said "that's good,you can get off the scale" -- but it wasn't done calculating. I rescheduled an appointment after I found out the Kaiser requires a certain BMI to qualify. When I was re-weighed I had the 50%+ BMI. It helped me from having to qualify with co-morbidities.Again, good luck to you!-Chris-Pre-OpDr. Rumsey/PB

Guest guest

Kaiser did not require me to lose 10% of my body weight. However, I

was told that if I'd gained any weight at my pre-surgical appointment

the day before my surgery, it would be cancelled. Check with your

surgeon. This requirement varies.

> Marisa,

>

> I forgot a couple of points. At the Kaiser seminar, you will be

told that

> Kaiser requires you to lose 10% of your body weight. If you're

referred to

> PB, it varies by surgeon. After I heard about Kaiser's policy, I

began

> Weight Watchers on January 3rd to get a head start -- this was

knowing that

> Kaiser had my original referral weight on file.

>

> One other thing I thought of -- when I was weighed back in October

at my

> PCP visit - -the Medical Assistant saw the scale rising -- I guess

to

> numbers she thought were high enough and said " that's good,you can

get off

> the scale " -- but it wasn't done calculating. I rescheduled an

appointment

> after I found out the Kaiser requires a certain BMI to qualify.

When I was

> re-weighed I had the 50%+ BMI. It helped me from having to qualify

with

> co-morbidities.

>

> Again, good luck to you!

>

> -Chris-

> Pre-Op

> Dr. Rumsey/PB

Guest guest

Carol,

I'm not sure about the waiting period before the procedure, although you'll probably be about a year before it gets done with or without a waiting period. Do you have co-morbidities that are documented by your PCP? My BMI was 43 and Kaiser denied me because I only had GERD and mild sleep apnea...no diabetes or high blood pressure. Get all your physical problems documented as soon as possible. I ended up switching insurance so I wouldn't have to wait, but Kaiser has a FABULOUS program...just a long waiting period and stricter BMI guidelines.

I wish you the best!

Hugs,

Kennedy Lap RNY 11/5/02 265/177/135 (-88#)

-----Original Message-----Hi, I am new to this support group. I am at the beginning stages of this journey. I am being referred by my doctor, but have not had any appointments yet. My BMI is 42 and I am in N. Ca. Kaiser. My question is this:I was with Kaiser for 6 years, changed jobs and was without Kaiser for 5 months. I stayed with my Kaiser doctor though, because he also takes other insurances. Am I going to have to wait a year for Kaiser to approve tests for this, or is that just in S. Ca. Kaiser that you have to be with Kaiser for a year before you can start any of this?Thanks for the help. cc

Guest guest

Welcome to the group !!

I'm pretty new to the group myself - just joined last week!

I really like scrambled eggs (or Egg Beaters) with some cheese melted into

them!! YUM!! At almost 5 months post-op, I still find hard-boiled eggs

a bit heavy, but we all tolerate foods differently.

Hugs,

Jen

vmonteve wrote:

Hi!

I just found this group, and I'm so glad I did! I'm a new post-op

patient, and it's nice to find a Kaiser group. My surgery was July

7th in KSSF with Dr. Gorrin. I'm 18 days post op, on Stage III foods

(just the "mild" stuff like fish, mashed potatoes, etc.), and looking

for some food suggestions from other post-ops. I have my protein

shake every day, so my sweet tooth is somewhat satisfied. What I

really want is "real" food -- savory stuff, not sweet. I've had

poached and hard boiled eggs. They were just a little heavy, but

delicious! I might wait another week before I try eggs again. I do

well with fish, even tuna, and cottage cheese mixed with just about a

tsp of turkey lunchmeat. Any other ideas? Has anyone ever tried any

of those veggie burgers? I'm open to any suggestions! The mashed

potatoes are divine, but I'm focusing on protein. How long did you

wait to try shrimp or crab?

Thank you!

Current 7/25/03: 243

Surgery 7/7/03: 264

Orientation 12/2003: 289

Guest guest

Nice Too Meet You,

I'm pretty new here too. Only a few short weeks.

I found out it's pretty much a learn as you go meal ride.

I still can't do well with a lot of things. It seems after a single bite I feel sick. Unless it's Cottage Cheese or Toast.

That's been the best for me so far.

Eating repeats of what I had the day before I get very sick to my stomach. (Strange I know).

My mind isn't letting me seek out with too many new things yet, I'm still so worried of getting sick that I'm sticking to the first few stages longer than where I know most are.

I did try Shrimp it was ok. I have had Calamari, It did really well. I'm going to try the imitation crab this week.

Chicken an I are dating at this point. Along with my Protein Shakes. I use 2% milk, I put a Banana in with my Strawberry Shake, In the Vanilla I use Mocha Coffee Decaffeinated, As I can't zip through good OLE Starbucks anymore.

As far as having a sweet side, I like to go get some frozen yogurt once a week, Our local yogurt store makes all Non Fat with 5 flavors to pick from.

Oh FYI, On your cottage cheese,, it's great mixed with the juice from a nice steak. OHHHHH YEAH!

Enjoy your weekend,

Cat

Guest guest

99% fat free Turkey Chili. I know Dennisons makes one. There may be

other brands. When I was at the place where you are, it tasted like

ambrosia to me! Remember about that chewing. If that works, try ground

turkey with onions and mushrooms (thoroughly cooked), add some salt and

just a glaze of BBQ sauce. Make enough for 2 meals. For that I used

1/3# turkey, 1/2 onion, 1/4# mushrooms.

Good luck learning to eat your new way.

Cheryl

4/16/03 SSF Umbach

291/215/150

> Hi!

>

> I just found this group, and I'm so glad I did! I'm a new post-op

> patient, and it's nice to find a Kaiser group. My surgery was July

> 7th in KSSF with Dr. Gorrin. I'm 18 days post op, on Stage III foods

> (just the " mild " stuff like fish, mashed potatoes, etc.), and looking

> for some food suggestions from other post-ops. I have my protein

> shake every day, so my sweet tooth is somewhat satisfied. What I

> really want is " real " food -- savory stuff, not sweet. I've had

> poached and hard boiled eggs. They were just a little heavy, but

> delicious! I might wait another week before I try eggs again. I do

> well with fish, even tuna, and cottage cheese mixed with just about a

> tsp of turkey lunchmeat. Any other ideas? Has anyone ever tried any

> of those veggie burgers? I'm open to any suggestions! The mashed

> potatoes are divine, but I'm focusing on protein. How long did you

> wait to try shrimp or crab?

>

> Thank you!

>

>

> Current 7/25/03: 243

> Surgery 7/7/03: 264

> Orientation 12/2003: 289

>

>

>

Guest guest

What I'm getting tired of

> is the Pro-Complex. Have you found a different way of

> preparing it?

Try mixing the chocolate flavor with a tablespoon of sugar free/fat

free chocolate pudding. You can mix the vanilla with either vanilla

or chocolate pudding. Try adding a small piece of banana with the

vanilla. You can mix vanilla with " Crystal Light " . These are some

of the ways I've been drinking the " Pro COmplex. "

W.

Guest guest

Wow !! You are lucky!! I go to Peninsula YMCA in San Mateo, and

a family membership is $114/mo. with no discount after any period of

time. Also, it's an extra $3/mo. to add on the feature of going to any

of the 33 Ys in the Bay Area!! I love my Y though - they've got a great

pool and hot tub, and a wonderful Cardio-Kickboxing class I go to a

couple times/week. :0)

Hugs,

Jen

Norton wrote:

> Sheena,

>

> I joined the YMCA in Oakley. There is a gym in Oakley and Antioch.

> You can use any YMCA in California for free. I have been going to

> Pleasant Hill because they have a pool and water aerobics. A family

> membership which includes two adults is 77.00 a month for the first 6

> months and then drops to 52.00 a month. You can also do a single

> membership but it is more expensive. Oakley is the cheapest Y to join

> and then you can use any of them. I am very pleased with the

> classes. Everyone is very nice and encouraging.

>

>

> Pittsburg

Guest guest

Hi, Sheena--

I've heard wonderful things about Curves. I'm so impressed that

you're joining a gym, and at only three weeks out! I'm still too

intimidated to walk into a gym, but I'll get there!

> ,

> I live in Pittsburg and it gets pretty hot here too.

> We go to the shopping malls to walk because of the

> airconditioning. I decided that this week I am going

> to check into some gyms. I have Curves and 24 hour

> Fitness close by. So that is my goal this week.

> Exercizing is so hard for me to get excited about but

> I know the weight will go away faster and I will feel

> better.

> Sheena

Guest guest

Hi ,

I was just wondering if you're the I met in San Diego on the

21st of July? Her surgon is Dr. . If you're the same

person " Hi " .

W.

Guest guest

welcome donna. feel free to ask away.

lori h.

> I'm a new member here and I just wanted to say hi. My surgery is

scheduled for Sept 23rd and I cant wait. I'm a little nervous but I

guess that is to be expected.

>

> Donna

Guest guest

I'm not sure what I had. Open staples on the top portion of my stomach and reroute the outlet tube. That's all I really know. What part of Concord do you live in?

RevenStampin' Up!cindyreven.stampinup.net

Hi Kaiser Group! I just found out about this group a couple days ago. I am pre-op. Attended orientation at Kaiser Richmond on 8/7/03. Have had my physician appointment with Dr. Fisher. He is requiring me to lose 10% of my weight prior to surgery. Do all Kaiser patients have this requirement? Or just Kaiser Richmond? Or just me?I live in Concord. Any of you Concord residents? Is there a Kaiser support group that meets in Concord?I'm so excited to learn about the Kaiser on-line support group! Thanks for existing!Looking forward to hearing from any of you.Ellen

Guest guest

I'm not sure what I had. Open staples on the top portion of my stomach and reroute the outlet tube. That's all I really know. What part of Concord do you live in?

Hi Kaiser Group! I just found out about this group a couple days ago. I am pre-op. Attended orientation at Kaiser Richmond on 8/7/03. Have had my physician appointment with Dr. Fisher. He is requiring me to lose 10% of my weight prior to surgery. Do all Kaiser patients have this requirement? Or just Kaiser Richmond? Or just me?I live in Concord. Any of you Concord residents? Is there a Kaiser support group that meets in Concord?I'm so excited to learn about the Kaiser on-line support group! Thanks for existing!Looking forward to hearing from any of you.Ellen

Guest guest

Congratulations ,

It is such a great feeling when you break on barrier. Before you know it you will be a part of the century club. Keep up the great work I am rooting for you

Ramona

1/13/2003

357./235/?

-- Re: New Member

Dear Ellen,

I'm glad to hear your in our group. It's a GREAT group of people. Losing the 10% isn't as hard as you would think it is. I lost more than my 10% before surgery. I had to loose 27 lbs. and lost 40 instead. Just by stop eating, bread, rice, pasta, fast food and sodas and going to the gym everyday.

I was born in Concord 43 years ago at Mt. Diablo Hospital, and was raised there. I didn't leave Concord until I was 21 years old. It's was a great town back then, I now live in Sacramento. I miss the house I was raised in, my grandparents help build it way back when.

My Orientation was 8-02-02, my surgery was 2-12-03, it took me that long to make up my mind if that was for me and I'm glad I did it. Once I made up my mind it only took 5 months to loose the weight. I'm am happy to say that as of today's date I am at, and still loosing, I broke that 300 mark finally I am so GLAD....

392/344/298/?

Guest guest

Congratulations ,

It is such a great feeling when you break on barrier. Before you know it you will be a part of the century club. Keep up the great work I am rooting for you

Ramona

1/13/2003

357./235/?

-- Re: New Member

Dear Ellen,

I'm glad to hear your in our group. It's a GREAT group of people. Losing the 10% isn't as hard as you would think it is. I lost more than my 10% before surgery. I had to loose 27 lbs. and lost 40 instead. Just by stop eating, bread, rice, pasta, fast food and sodas and going to the gym everyday.

I was born in Concord 43 years ago at Mt. Diablo Hospital, and was raised there. I didn't leave Concord until I was 21 years old. It's was a great town back then, I now live in Sacramento. I miss the house I was raised in, my grandparents help build it way back when.

My Orientation was 8-02-02, my surgery was 2-12-03, it took me that long to make up my mind if that was for me and I'm glad I did it. Once I made up my mind it only took 5 months to loose the weight. I'm am happy to say that as of today's date I am at, and still loosing, I broke that 300 mark finally I am so GLAD....

392/344/298/?