RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am more worried about the nausea, tiredness,bone pain, headaches etc. Generally, how soon do the side effects hit youif you are going to get them?

Hi Faye, welsome to the group!

I have just finished four IV chemos of Adriomyacin and Cytoxin from my breast cancer and only had one day of nausea after the first round- I had taken the nausea meds incorrectly (not enough of them!!!) and when I straightened that out I had no other problems after the other treatments. I was able to walk fast about three miles daliy as is my regular routine only a few days after each session. I am 50 years old and will start my radiation next week.

I used bath salts in tub baths as well as plenty of fluids to help rid the body of the chemicals once they had done their job. I did shave my head after the first month but was surprised I kept healthy hair that long...I expect my hair will start to grow back in a couple more weeks or so- My mom died of cancer and was a hairdresser- so I was used to seeing hair in the trash can and female baldness- I think our heads are beautiful whether we have hair or not and don;t hesitate to walk with only a hat to protect me from the sun.

take good care of yourself and let us know what types of treatment and how many will be involved for you,

Andree

www.essentialsoapsinc.com

Guest guest

Hi Faye,

Welcoem to the group. Everyone is different. I had CMF and just had a little

nausea and was tired. I worked Mon. Had chemo Tues and stayed home Tues. and

Wed. and back to work Thurs. and Fri. I had no bone pain or headaches. Do

you know what type of chemo you will be getting? I will keep you in my

prayers.

Hugs

nne

Breast Cancer Patients Soul Mates for Life

http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/breastcancerpatients.html

Check out my breast cancer ornaments at:

http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/bcornament.html

also check out my other ornaments and lots of nice gifts at:

http://www.cancerclub.com

> Hello,

>

> My name is Faye. I am 46, was diagnosed on 5/4/04 and had a mastectomy on

> the left side on 5/11/04. My first chemo session is on June 1st. After

> chemo is completed, I will do radiation, then hormonal therapy.

>

> I have a lot of questions regarding chemo and radiation, so I am glad to

> have found this group. The folks at the Cancer Care Treatment Center are

> all wonderful and try to answer all questions but they have not actually

> been through it. I know about the hair loss, but right now that isn't

> my biggest concern to me. I am more worried about the nausea, tiredness,

> bone pain, headaches etc. Generally, how soon do the side effects hit you

> if you are going to get them? Do most people get them? I also wonder

how

> many are able to work during chemo or do most find they must take off work

> due to the adverse side effects.

>

> I look forward to your support and help during this time of my life, and I

> hope that somehow I will be able to return that support.

>

> Thank you,

>

> Faye

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Faye,

prayers.

Hugs

nne

> Hello,

>

>

how

>

>

> Thank you,

>

> Faye

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Faye,

prayers.

Hugs

nne

> Hello,

>

>

how

>

>

> Thank you,

>

> Faye

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

faye, Hi my name is Jeana. I had a lumpectomy 5 yrs ago. I had A/C radiation and taxol. I had Nausea, and I lost my sense of taste.. I took premeds for nausea. I also was told to drink something cold during shemo to keep from getting mouth sores. I lost my hair just before the 2nd treatment, so I had my friend shave my head. I didn't work as I worked in retail and didn't want to be around sick people. Also I just didnt feel like working I wanted to just concentrate on getting well. With radiation I was tired, my daughter drove me to the last few appointments I had. I had to drive 45 minutes for a 10 minutes treatment. I agree with we all have some sort of chemo brain, some days its worse than others. I had bone pain with the last chemo I took, also neurophthy in hands and feet. I am like Cheryl, have arthritis, and I also have osteoporsis. Ask your Dr for port so much easier than getting stuck every time. They can do the blood draw and give the chemo through it. (I had a groshong catheter) You will have many test done before chemo starts. MRI, bone scan ect. Many prayers for you .

Hugs

Jeana

Guest guest

faye, Hi my name is Jeana. I had a lumpectomy 5 yrs ago. I had A/C radiation and taxol. I had Nausea, and I lost my sense of taste.. I took premeds for nausea. I also was told to drink something cold during shemo to keep from getting mouth sores. I lost my hair just before the 2nd treatment, so I had my friend shave my head. I didn't work as I worked in retail and didn't want to be around sick people. Also I just didnt feel like working I wanted to just concentrate on getting well. With radiation I was tired, my daughter drove me to the last few appointments I had. I had to drive 45 minutes for a 10 minutes treatment. I agree with we all have some sort of chemo brain, some days its worse than others. I had bone pain with the last chemo I took, also neurophthy in hands and feet. I am like Cheryl, have arthritis, and I also have osteoporsis. Ask your Dr for port so much easier than getting stuck every time. They can do the blood draw and give the chemo through it. (I had a groshong catheter) You will have many test done before chemo starts. MRI, bone scan ect. Many prayers for you .

Hugs

Jeana

Guest guest

.. Do

> you know what type of chemo you will be getting? I will keep you in my

> prayers.

> Hugs

> nne

Yes, I will be getting adriamycin and cytoxan for 2 months, then taxol for

2 months.

Faye

Guest guest

.. Do

> you know what type of chemo you will be getting? I will keep you in my

> prayers.

> Hugs

> nne

Yes, I will be getting adriamycin and cytoxan for 2 months, then taxol for

2 months.

Faye

Guest guest

hi Faye my name is ....I am 65 and have also had a mastectomy on Jan 11, 2002 and chemo I did not have radiation so can't help you there.....when I was taking chemo they told me to keep my mouth cold either have ice or a popcile and they had them where I took my chemo and all I had to do is ask for them and sometime they would just bring me one....this will help keep the chemo from giving you sores in the mouth....some say it doesn't help but it was in the book they gave me and they gave me an anti-nausa med in my port before the chemo....I got a little weezy but not to the throwing up.....I was very weak and tired I could not work but I think a lot of it was due to previous 5 by-pass surgery....plus other health problems....and to I did not want to be around anyone that was sick because you are very vunerable to sickness.....I am a hairdresser and you know ladies are going to get thier hair done regardless of how sick they are (thank goodness)....just

remember everyone is different and meds affect in different ways....I had the A/C every third week I think oh and yes you will end up with chemo brain.....you forget a lot and misplace things anyway every thing that doesn't go right just blame it on Chemo brain......oh and do you have a port or in-line.....they are wonderful....they save a lot of needles....they do EVERYTHING through there....I thake it Ray is your husband prayers that he will be your rock through all this.....I am a widow and my son just could not accept the fact that his mother had cancer....so I don't see him too much...a good attitude about the whole thing will do wonders....the girls that work here would not let me have my pitty-parties.....they were wonderful.... Good luck and prayers coming your way......Angel Huggs and Prayers ....from Texas Faye and Ray wrote:

Hello,My name is Faye. I am 46, was diagnosed on 5/4/04 and had a mastectomy onthe left side on 5/11/04. My first chemo session is on June 1st. Afterchemo is completed, I will do radiation, then hormonal therapy.I have a lot of questions regarding chemo and radiation, so I am glad tohave found this group. The folks at the Cancer Care Treatment Center areall wonderful and try to answer all questions but they have not actuallybeen through it. I know about the hair loss, but right now that isn'tmy biggest concern to me. I am more worried about the nausea, tiredness,bone pain, headaches etc. Generally, how soon do the side effects hit youif you are going to get them? Do most people get them? I also wonder howmany are able to work during chemo or do most find they must

take off workdue to the adverse side effects.I look forward to your support and help during this time of my life, and Ihope that somehow I will be able to return that support.Thank you,Faye

Guest guest

hi Faye my name is ....I am 65 and have also had a mastectomy on Jan 11, 2002 and chemo I did not have radiation so can't help you there.....when I was taking chemo they told me to keep my mouth cold either have ice or a popcile and they had them where I took my chemo and all I had to do is ask for them and sometime they would just bring me one....this will help keep the chemo from giving you sores in the mouth....some say it doesn't help but it was in the book they gave me and they gave me an anti-nausa med in my port before the chemo....I got a little weezy but not to the throwing up.....I was very weak and tired I could not work but I think a lot of it was due to previous 5 by-pass surgery....plus other health problems....and to I did not want to be around anyone that was sick because you are very vunerable to sickness.....I am a hairdresser and you know ladies are going to get thier hair done regardless of how sick they are (thank goodness)....just

remember everyone is different and meds affect in different ways....I had the A/C every third week I think oh and yes you will end up with chemo brain.....you forget a lot and misplace things anyway every thing that doesn't go right just blame it on Chemo brain......oh and do you have a port or in-line.....they are wonderful....they save a lot of needles....they do EVERYTHING through there....I thake it Ray is your husband prayers that he will be your rock through all this.....I am a widow and my son just could not accept the fact that his mother had cancer....so I don't see him too much...a good attitude about the whole thing will do wonders....the girls that work here would not let me have my pitty-parties.....they were wonderful.... Good luck and prayers coming your way......Angel Huggs and Prayers ....from Texas Faye and Ray wrote:

Hello,My name is Faye. I am 46, was diagnosed on 5/4/04 and had a mastectomy onthe left side on 5/11/04. My first chemo session is on June 1st. Afterchemo is completed, I will do radiation, then hormonal therapy.I have a lot of questions regarding chemo and radiation, so I am glad tohave found this group. The folks at the Cancer Care Treatment Center areall wonderful and try to answer all questions but they have not actuallybeen through it. I know about the hair loss, but right now that isn'tmy biggest concern to me. I am more worried about the nausea, tiredness,bone pain, headaches etc. Generally, how soon do the side effects hit youif you are going to get them? Do most people get them? I also wonder howmany are able to work during chemo or do most find they must

take off workdue to the adverse side effects.I look forward to your support and help during this time of my life, and Ihope that somehow I will be able to return that support.Thank you,Faye

Guest guest

Guest guest

faye i had the same as marianne and no radiation at alll and i never got sick of stomach i not once did i throw up so that part didnt happen bone pain i did have but i have rhemotoid so naturally my bones were hurting but other than that i didnt have headaches either my only discomfort was bone pain

cheryl

New Member> Hello,>> My name is Faye. I am 46, was diagnosed on 5/4/04 and had a mastectomy on> the left side on 5/11/04. My first chemo session is on June 1st. After> chemo is completed, I will do radiation, then hormonal therapy.>> I have a lot of questions regarding chemo and radiation, so I am glad to> have found this group. The folks at the Cancer Care Treatment Center are> all wonderful and try to answer all questions but they have not actually> been through it. I know about the hair loss, but right now that isn't> my biggest concern to me. I am more worried about the nausea, tiredness,> bone pain, headaches etc. Generally, how soon do the side effects hit you> if you are going to get them? Do most people get them? I also wonderhow> many are able to work during chemo or do most find they must take off work> due to the adverse side effects.>> I look forward to your support and help during this time of my life, and I> hope that somehow I will be able to return that support.>> Thank you,>> Faye>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

Dear Faye, I just finished my 4 rounds of Adriamycin/Cytoxan on Wed. I begin Taxol in 2 weeks. My biggest problems have been the fatigue and constant nausea. Even though I take the anti-nausea drugs, the nausea is always there--sometimes not too bad, sometimes not so good. If I try to push myself through the fatigue, the nausea is worse. So make sure you listen to your body and rest.

I am off work because I work around sick people (I'm a nurse), and the oncologist didn't want me around folks with viruses, pneumonia, colds, and infections. If I worked a desk job, I would try to work, but not push it.

The best piece of advice I can give you is drink lots and lots of fluids. My fluid of choice has been tea, iced, hot or warm. I try to drink 2 liters a day. It seems to really help the nausea, too. Stay away from acid stuff--it can irritate your mouth. I haven't gotten mouth sores, but my mouth has been tender. Lots and lots of fluids help.

Good luck with your chemo. It's not been pleasant, but it hasn't been horrible either. Bev. Faye and Ray wrote:

Guest guest

Dear Faye, I just finished my 4 rounds of Adriamycin/Cytoxan on Wed. I begin Taxol in 2 weeks. My biggest problems have been the fatigue and constant nausea. Even though I take the anti-nausea drugs, the nausea is always there--sometimes not too bad, sometimes not so good. If I try to push myself through the fatigue, the nausea is worse. So make sure you listen to your body and rest.

I am off work because I work around sick people (I'm a nurse), and the oncologist didn't want me around folks with viruses, pneumonia, colds, and infections. If I worked a desk job, I would try to work, but not push it.

The best piece of advice I can give you is drink lots and lots of fluids. My fluid of choice has been tea, iced, hot or warm. I try to drink 2 liters a day. It seems to really help the nausea, too. Stay away from acid stuff--it can irritate your mouth. I haven't gotten mouth sores, but my mouth has been tender. Lots and lots of fluids help.

Good luck with your chemo. It's not been pleasant, but it hasn't been horrible either. Bev. Faye and Ray wrote:

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Faye welcome to the group. My name is Michele and I start my

treatment for a double mastectomy,though I only had cancer on the rt

side,on June 3rd. I'll let you know how I do after that.

> Hello,

>

> My name is Faye. I am 46, was diagnosed on 5/4/04 and had a

mastectomy on

> the left side on 5/11/04. My first chemo session is on June 1st.

After

>

> I have a lot of questions regarding chemo and radiation, so I am

glad to

> have found this group. The folks at the Cancer Care Treatment

Center are

> all wonderful and try to answer all questions but they have not

actually

> been through it. I know about the hair loss, but right now that

isn't

> my biggest concern to me. I am more worried about the nausea,

tiredness,

> bone pain, headaches etc. Generally, how soon do the side effects

hit you

> if you are going to get them? Do most people get them? I also

wonder how

> many are able to work during chemo or do most find they must take

off work

>

> I look forward to your support and help during this time of my

life, and I

>

> Thank you,

>

> Faye

Guest guest

> Hello,

>

mastectomy on

After

>

glad to

Center are

actually

isn't

tiredness,

hit you

wonder how

off work

>

life, and I

>

> Thank you,

>

> Faye

Guest guest

> Hello,

>

mastectomy on

After

>

glad to

Center are

actually

isn't

tiredness,

hit you

wonder how

off work

>

life, and I

>

> Thank you,

>

> Faye

Guest guest

Mimi, you walk proud with your bald head. That is what helped me the most. A friend told me that. She said walk proud because you are beating this dragon. Dont be concerned what people think, most wont even turn to look. I hope the anti nausea med keep working for you. Stay strong.

I also had a lumpectomy 5 yrs ago, I am close to being able to stop taking tamoxifen.

Hugs

Jeana

Guest guest

Mimi, you walk proud with your bald head. That is what helped me the most. A friend told me that. She said walk proud because you are beating this dragon. Dont be concerned what people think, most wont even turn to look. I hope the anti nausea med keep working for you. Stay strong.

I also had a lumpectomy 5 yrs ago, I am close to being able to stop taking tamoxifen.

Hugs

Jeana

Guest guest

Hugs

Jeana

Guest guest

they felt the need to tell me how horrible it was.

This is unfortunate and unkind. YOU STAY POSTIVE AND GIVE THEM A NEW STORY TO TELL....There have been so many new improvements and research in chemotherapy that outdates treatment received even recently- and side effects in your treatment depends on the individual case!

Before I started my treatment several women friends called that had breast cancer treatment and chemotherapy to let me know everything would be fine- ALL OF THEM continued with work- when they lost their hair- where they got wigs- if they were tired or felt queasy how often- what mouthwash one used from the doctor in case you had mouth sores..even what they liked to eat!!!...etc...everyone was a little different but very positive to me. I did not expect to have bad side effects because of this FIRSTHAND knowledge and that self-fulfilling phrophecy took place...I am so sorry the well- meaning individuals that were so negative cared to share horror stories with you as you begin your treatment. You need support and love, NOT scare tactics. Write us as often as you wish so we can let you know the truth of recent treatment firsthand, and be sure to share your treatment experiences wiht us when you begin,

Andree

Guest guest

This is unfortunate and unkind. YOU STAY POSTIVE AND GIVE THEM A NEW STORY TO TELL....There have been so many new improvements and research in chemotherapy that outdates treatment received even recently- and side effects in your treatment depends on the individual case!

Before I started my treatment several women friends called that had breast cancer treatment and chemotherapy to let me know everything would be fine- ALL OF THEM continued with work- when they lost their hair- where they got wigs- if they were tired or felt queasy how often- what mouthwash one used from the doctor in case you had mouth sores..even what they liked to eat!!!...etc...everyone was a little different but very positive to me. I did not expect to have bad side effects because of this FIRSTHAND knowledge and that self-fulfilling phrophecy took place...I am so sorry the well- meaning individuals that were so negative cared to share horror stories with you as you begin your treatment. You need support and love, NOT scare tactics. Write us as often as you wish so we can let you know the truth of recent treatment firsthand, and be sure to share your treatment experiences wiht us when you begin,

Andree

Guest guest

Andree

Guest guest

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and words of

encouragement. I am not as nervous about chemo now. After being

diagnosed, it seemed like everyone I knew had a " friend or relative " that

had been through it and they felt the need to tell me how horrible it was.

I can see from reading all of your experiences that it probably won't be as

bad as I had imagined.

Again, thank you

Faye