RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: disney

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just go to Guest Services and tell them you have a child with Autism...they will give you and your party a pass. Easy and simple and makes a world of difference at Disney.

RobinCheck out AOL Money Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

Guest guest

Just go to Guest Services and tell them you have a child with Autism...they will give you and your party a pass. Easy and simple and makes a world of difference at Disney.

RobinCheck out AOL Money Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

Guest guest

No letter needed. Just go to any of the parks and go directly to Guest Services and ask for a Guest Assistance Pass. They will give you one for the length of your stay and it is good for all the Disney parks. You can also get one at Universal and Sea World. For anyone that doesn't already know, Sea World offers a 50% discount to anyone that has a disability and one companion on their tickets. Have fun! allisonnelson2002 wrote: I wanted to know if anyone has been to Disney lately? What are the requirements to get the special disability pass? And where do you go to get this? I am assuming a letter from a Neurologist will do. Thanks for any info to make our trip a little easier. Yahoo! Groups

Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sList/<*> Your email settings:Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sList/join(Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email:mailto:sList-digest mailto:sList-fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

No letter needed. Just go to any of the parks and go directly to Guest Services and ask for a Guest Assistance Pass. They will give you one for the length of your stay and it is good for all the Disney parks. You can also get one at Universal and Sea World. For anyone that doesn't already know, Sea World offers a 50% discount to anyone that has a disability and one companion on their tickets. Have fun! allisonnelson2002 wrote: I wanted to know if anyone has been to Disney lately? What are the requirements to get the special disability pass? And where do you go to get this? I am assuming a letter from a Neurologist will do. Thanks for any info to make our trip a little easier. Yahoo! Groups

Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sList/<*> Your email settings:Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sList/join(Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email:mailto:sList-digest mailto:sList-fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

No letter is needed. We have been going to Disney and the other parks for almost five years and we go about once a month or so and all you have to say is that your child has autism and can you please have a guest assistance pass. No questions asked. Sea World and Disney are very accomodating. Universal sometimes will actually ask to see the child and everyone in the party.durriya shamsi wrote: Just get a letter from your doctor that your child hasautism and then go a guest relations office and theywill make you a pass that you can use in all theparks. They have never asked to see the letter but Ialways take it with me. It is very simple. EvenUniversal gave us a pass this time...it really helps. Enjoy your trip. Durriya--- allisonnelson2002 wrote:> I wanted to know

if anyone has been to Disney> lately? What are the > requirements to get the special disability pass? And> where do you go to > get this? I am assuming a letter from a Neurologist> will do. Thanks for > any info to make our trip a little easier. > > ____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ

Guest guest

and all: Universal is not the most accomodating with the passes. However, they will issue a pass to include all the family members. You just have to insist on it or ask for a manager. There are 5 of us in our immediate family and when my 2 step children visit for the summer and holidays we ask for a pass to accommodate all 7 of us. Don't let them fool you. We are die hard Disney fans and to be honest, it is our only source of saneness with my son. When we go to Orlando, he is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT kid, that's why we go so often. It's definitely a break from reality for us. We have been going to Disney, Sea World and Universal for the last five years and Universal always gives us a hard time. Just stick to your guns. Remember what they say...the squeaky wheel gets the grease! RosemarieDIANA BORUCHIN

wrote: Hi! do not know how it works in Disney but recently, we were at Universal and Islands of Adventure. When we inquired about this "Pass"(having a behaviorist's note since her neurologist does not really see her for her "disability"), they were willing to issue it to cover my daughter and one(1) parent. We were together with my husband and 2 other children so we opted not to get it but did splurge on 4 "fast passes"(instead of 5) because there was always one adult who did not feel like going on one of the rides. In late October, there was really no wait on any ride except those mega- roller coasters. Also, I think a few months ago, someone circulated the best times to go to disney(which

e-mail I saved). If you need it, please tell me and I will circulate it or send it to you. To: sList From: nallis5@...Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:15:17 +0000Subject: Disney I wanted to know if anyone has been to Disney lately? What are the requirements to get the special disability pass? And where do you go to get this? I am assuming a letter from a Neurologist will do. Thanks for any info to make our trip a little easier. Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now! Always sunny in Miami...;)

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Guest guest

and all: Universal is not the most accomodating with the passes. However, they will issue a pass to include all the family members. You just have to insist on it or ask for a manager. There are 5 of us in our immediate family and when my 2 step children visit for the summer and holidays we ask for a pass to accommodate all 7 of us. Don't let them fool you. We are die hard Disney fans and to be honest, it is our only source of saneness with my son. When we go to Orlando, he is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT kid, that's why we go so often. It's definitely a break from reality for us. We have been going to Disney, Sea World and Universal for the last five years and Universal always gives us a hard time. Just stick to your guns. Remember what they say...the squeaky wheel gets the grease! RosemarieDIANA BORUCHIN

wrote: Hi! do not know how it works in Disney but recently, we were at Universal and Islands of Adventure. When we inquired about this "Pass"(having a behaviorist's note since her neurologist does not really see her for her "disability"), they were willing to issue it to cover my daughter and one(1) parent. We were together with my husband and 2 other children so we opted not to get it but did splurge on 4 "fast passes"(instead of 5) because there was always one adult who did not feel like going on one of the rides. In late October, there was really no wait on any ride except those mega- roller coasters. Also, I think a few months ago, someone circulated the best times to go to disney(which

e-mail I saved). If you need it, please tell me and I will circulate it or send it to you. To: sList From: nallis5@...Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:15:17 +0000Subject: Disney I wanted to know if anyone has been to Disney lately? What are the requirements to get the special disability pass? And where do you go to get this? I am assuming a letter from a Neurologist will do. Thanks for any info to make our trip a little easier. Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now! Always sunny in Miami...;)

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thank you! I will be more insistent next time.

To: sList From: tova1125@...Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:18:47 -0800Subject: RE: Disney

and all:

Universal is not the most accomodating with the passes. However, they will issue a pass to include all the family members. You just have to insist on it or ask for a manager. There are 5 of us in our immediate family and when my 2 step children visit for the summer and holidays we ask for a pass to accommodate all 7 of us. Don't let them fool you.

We are die hard Disney fans and to be honest, it is our only source of saneness with my son. When we go to Orlando, he is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT kid, that's why we go so often. It's definitely a break from reality for us. We have been going to Disney, Sea World and Universal for the last five years and Universal always gives us a hard time.

Just stick to your guns. Remember what they say...the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

RosemarieDIANA BORUCHIN <grncardhotmail> wrote:

Hi! do not know how it works in Disney but recently, we were at Universal and Islands of Adventure. When we inquired about this "Pass"(having a behaviorist's note since her neurologist does not really see her for her "disability"), they were willing to issue it to cover my daughter and one(1) parent. We were together with my husband and 2 other children so we opted not to get it but did splurge on 4 "fast passes"(instead of 5) because there was always one adult who did not feel like going on one of the rides. In late October, there was really no wait on any ride except those mega- roller coasters. Also, I think a few months ago, someone circulated the best times to go to disney(which e-mail I saved). If you need it, please tell me and I will circulate it or send it to you.

To: sList From: nallis5aolDate: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:15:17 +0000Subject: Disney

I wanted to know if anyone has been to Disney lately? What are the requirements to get the special disability pass? And where do you go to get this? I am assuming a letter from a Neurologist will do. Thanks for any info to make our trip a little easier.

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!

Always sunny in Miami...;)

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Share now!

Guest guest

Thank you! I will be more insistent next time.

To: sList From: tova1125@...Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:18:47 -0800Subject: RE: Disney

and all:

Universal is not the most accomodating with the passes. However, they will issue a pass to include all the family members. You just have to insist on it or ask for a manager. There are 5 of us in our immediate family and when my 2 step children visit for the summer and holidays we ask for a pass to accommodate all 7 of us. Don't let them fool you.

We are die hard Disney fans and to be honest, it is our only source of saneness with my son. When we go to Orlando, he is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT kid, that's why we go so often. It's definitely a break from reality for us. We have been going to Disney, Sea World and Universal for the last five years and Universal always gives us a hard time.

Just stick to your guns. Remember what they say...the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

RosemarieDIANA BORUCHIN <grncardhotmail> wrote:

Hi! do not know how it works in Disney but recently, we were at Universal and Islands of Adventure. When we inquired about this "Pass"(having a behaviorist's note since her neurologist does not really see her for her "disability"), they were willing to issue it to cover my daughter and one(1) parent. We were together with my husband and 2 other children so we opted not to get it but did splurge on 4 "fast passes"(instead of 5) because there was always one adult who did not feel like going on one of the rides. In late October, there was really no wait on any ride except those mega- roller coasters. Also, I think a few months ago, someone circulated the best times to go to disney(which e-mail I saved). If you need it, please tell me and I will circulate it or send it to you.

To: sList From: nallis5aolDate: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:15:17 +0000Subject: Disney

I wanted to know if anyone has been to Disney lately? What are the requirements to get the special disability pass? And where do you go to get this? I am assuming a letter from a Neurologist will do. Thanks for any info to make our trip a little easier.

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!

Always sunny in Miami...;)

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Share now!

Guest guest

If you stay on Universal property, your room key is your fast pass. We went in June and it was great. My daughter loved it. RM wrote: and all: Universal is not the most accomodating with the passes. However, they will issue a pass to include all the family members. You just have to insist on it or ask for a manager. There are 5 of us in our immediate family and when my 2 step children visit for the summer and holidays we ask for a pass to accommodate all 7 of us. Don't let

them fool you. We are die hard Disney fans and to be honest, it is our only source of saneness with my son. When we go to Orlando, he is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT kid, that's why we go so often. It's definitely a break from reality for us. We have been going to Disney, Sea World and Universal for the last five years and Universal always gives us a hard time. Just stick to your guns. Remember what they say...the squeaky wheel gets the grease! RosemarieDIANA BORUCHIN <grncardhotmail> wrote: Hi! do not know how it works in Disney but recently, we were at Universal and Islands of Adventure. When we inquired about this "Pass"(having a behaviorist's note since her neurologist does not really see her for her "disability"), they were willing to issue it to cover

my daughter and one(1) parent. We were together with my husband and 2 other children so we opted not to get it but did splurge on 4 "fast passes"(instead of 5) because there was always one adult who did not feel like going on one of the rides. In late October, there was really no wait on any ride except those mega- roller coasters. Also, I think a few months ago, someone circulated the best times to go to disney(which e-mail I saved). If you need it, please tell me and I will circulate it or send it to you. To: sList From: nallis5aolDate: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:15:17 +0000Subject: Disney I wanted to know if anyone has been to Disney lately? What are the requirements to get the special disability pass? And where do you go to get this? I am assuming a letter from a

Neurologist will do. Thanks for any info to make our trip a little easier. Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now! Always sunny in Miami...;) Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

I saw your post about Disney and I actually got back last night

from 4 days there with my 2 year old autistic son… we did get the special

needs pass with no problems and it was wonderful – we got on every ride

with no wait and it was so much nicer ( we’ve been there 12 times already

with him and this was the first time we got the pass )

We did go to the Christmas party and it’s worth every

penny, it was fabulous !

Animal Kingdom and Epcot are both awesome for pre-schoolers –

there are a ton of things to do in each one for them - If you get the

pass it’s even better because then you won’t wait in lines….

If you have any questions you can e-mail me, JM8031@... … I’ve

been to Disney over 100 times in the past 10 years and over 20 times in just

the past 2 years since my son was born so I know a lot about it.

J

Have a great day

Jeannine

[mailto:sList ]

Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:44 AM

To: sList

Subject: Digest Number 2988

's List

In This Digest (14 Messages)

FW: FAAST 2008 Bill Tracking Report

12/17/07 From: Karp

DR Phil show this Wed on autism

3a.

Disney From: Long

FW: New! 2-day ASD training - Febr 7-8,

2008 - Atlanta, GA From: D & M

5a.

Anyone use Vyvanse? From:

Marie-

Tasteless Cartoon From:

& Jazel zell

7a.

Reverse Inclusion From:

& Jazel zell

7b.

Re: Reverse Inclusion From:

Cohane

7c.

Re: Reverse Inclusion From: Nila

Benito

8a.

Re: BodyMed DAN! Practitioners' New Year

Resolution !!! From: celesteleo2725

8b.

Resolution !!! From: gary0323_44

Fw: Holiday tips for families of children

with autism From: TinaTerriAustin

SchaferAutismReport: Immune System May

Target Some Brain Synapses, R From: Karp

SchaferAutismReport: Schools Accused of

Pushing Mainstreaming to Cut From: Karp

View All Topics | Create New Topic

FW: FAAST 2008 Bill Tracking Report 12/17/07

Posted by: " Karp " deniseslist@... deniseslist

Mon

Dec 17, 2007 1:42 pm (PST)

Note: forwarded message attached.

---------------------------------

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post

Messages in this topic (1)

Mon

blessingsx10@...

wrote: THIS Wednesday on Dr. Phil:

Wednesday

Parents' Ultimate Test: Dealing with Autism

The ultimate test for any parent is loving a child who is difficult,

sometimes frightening, to the whole family. It's a test parents of

autistic children are put to daily. Ten-year-old Luce throws

screaming tantrums, barks like a dog, and tells his mother, ,

that he plans to kill her. has long felt despair at Luce's out-

of-control behavior, yet she was shocked when a doctor diagnosed him

with autism. Go inside the daily life of this family, see Luce's wild

behavior caught on tape, and learn why 's main coping mechanisms

might be putting her at risk. Then, a member of Dr. Phil's own staff

achieved miraculous results for her autistic child and her whole

family through an intensive program. Could a similar treatment work

for Luce? Plus, what causes autism? Several recent media reports and

high-profile parents, such as McCarthy, have pointed the finger

at vaccinations. Is there a link? Child care expert and pediatrician

Dr. Jim Sears weighs in. Then, imagine having a crime committed

against you, but not having a voice or any way to tell someone you'd

been wronged. Some mothers in Las Vegas say that's exactly what

happened when a teacher allegedly abused their autistic children, and

they've filed a lawsuit. Hear them recount the painful details of the

alleged abuse. What are their chances of winning in court?

Don't let any child become the victim of abuse at school!

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

3a.

Disney

Posted by: " Long " salong12@... salong12

Mon

Hi!

Heading up to Disney in a couple of days and appreciate the tip about getting a

special needs pass!! I have hope that the trip will be much more enjoyable! I was

wondering if any of you have been there in Dec.......is the after hours

Christmas party worth the money? Also.....I was wondering which offers more for

preschoolers....Epcot or Animal Kingdom (or we may just do a second day of

Magic Kingdom). I know some of you go there frequently. Ive only lived in

Florida for 20 years. Havent bee to Magic Kingdom in 12 years. Sad, but true!!!

Thanks for advice!

to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post

Messages in this topic (14)

FW: New! 2-day ASD training - Febr 7-8, 2008 - Atlanta, GA

Posted by: " D & M " specialkids@... baileyminerva

Mon

-----Original

Message-----

Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:49 PM

To: 'HANDLE Front Desk'

Subject: New! 2-day ASD training - Febr 7-8, 2008 - Atlanta, GA

cid:image001.png@...

The HANDLER Institute International, LLC is pleased to announce " Get a

HANDLE on Autism Spectrum Disorders, " a 2-day intensive course, February

7th-8th, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. This is the first time the training has

been offered in the U.S. It is open to everyone interested in learning more

about HANDLE's unique perspective on ASD.

In this course you will:

o Gain an introduction to HANDLE's holistic perspective on the Autism

Spectrum Disorders, including recent ASD research and other therapies

o Begin to learn how to interpret " autistic " behaviors and what they

indicate about system irregularities

o Explore how to recognize signs of stress as expressed by people along the

spectrum and why Gentle EnhancementR is so important for improving

neurological functioning

o Discover how to use the activities in The Fabric of Autism and apply the

information you have acquired to help individuals on the autism spectrum

The registration fee is $260, and special hotel rates are available through

the Institute. Further details are on the attached flyer and registration

form.

If you are unable to attend the training and would like to arrange for one

to be held in your area, please e-mail our Outreach Coordinator Peg Simon,

peg@...

.. If you know of anyone else who

might be interested in this course, please forward this e-mail to them.

Best wishes for a happy holiday season to all,

The Staff at the HANDLE Institute International, LLC

To be removed from our e-mail list, send a reply with the subject line

" opt-out " .

5a.

Anyone use Vyvanse?

Posted by: " Marie- "

mctheodore@... mctheodore

Mon

My

neurologist just prescribed 50mg capsules of the stimulant Vyvanse for my

son (PDD-NOS). He's been on Focalin XR (10mg) for the past 2 1/2 years but

the Focalin had become increasingly less efficient in keeping his attention

deficit and hyperactivity in check. Plus he's been experiencing increased

fidgetiness, impulsiveness and even some aggressiveness especially at

rebound once the medication wears out. There also has been an overall

increase of his OCD behaviors. I know several parents who stopped Focalin

on their child because of these effects and then some.

The neurologist said many of his other patients had a good response to

Vyvanse. The website ( <http://www.vyvanse.com/> www.vyvanse.com)

and the

informational CD ROM certainly make it look quite promising (its 12 hours

duration being the most attractive feature).

But I was curious to learn about real actual experiences with it. Any input,

anyone?

Thanks for sharing.

Marie-

<http://www.paperfollies.com/>

http://www.paperfollies.com

Messages in this topic (2)

Tasteless Cartoon

Posted by: " & Jazel

zell " phony_engineer@... phony_engineer

Mon

This

jerk needs sensitivity training - let's put him with an ASD kid for a week and

let him see what parents have to go through. Maybe then we'll see what type of

cartoon he can come up with.

Does anyone have the name and e-mail address of the editor? He needs a kick in

the ass as well.

What a slap in the face for all ASD kids and ASD parents. This is what

ignorance does. But then again, how much education does he have to be a

cartoonist?

Jazel

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

7a.

Reverse Inclusion

Mon

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how it (is supposed to) work? Any

reference articles, websites or books to be read on the subject would be

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Messages in this topic (3)

7b.

Re: Reverse Inclusion

Posted by: " Cohane " thecohanes@... ecohane

Mon

Dec 17, 2007 5:21 pm (PST)

Hi,

I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) this is when “typical”

kids are

brought into your child’s classroom to interact with them instead of your

child being brought into a “typical” classroom setting. I thinks

it’s meant

to be a kind of step towards inclusion for those who are not quite ready for

the full deal just yet. Sorry, I do not have any references for you.

On

Behalf Of & Jazel zell

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 10:22 AM

Subject: Reverse Inclusion

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how it (is supposed to) work?

Any reference articles, websites or books to be read on the subject would be

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

_____

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http:/tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/ca

tegory.php?category=shopping> them fast with Yahoo! Search.

7c.

Posted by: " Nila Benito " mamanila@... disabilitiesmom

Mon

Reverse

inclusion is also called reverse mainstreaming. It's where same age typical

peers " visit " student in segregated, self-contained special

education. To have any real lasting impact it is best when the typical peers

are trained to be " tutors " and models for the students with

disabilities. The ratio should be at minimum 1 on 1. Reverse mainstreaming is

not as effective as inclusion(when it's done correctly), but it is an

improvement over students with disabilities staying segregated all day and only

interacting with adults.

Nila Benito

To: sList@...:

phony_engineer@...:

Mon, 17 Dec 2007 07:22:06 -0800Subject: Reverse Inclusion

Hi all,

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

The best games are on Xbox 360. Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360

Console.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/wheretobuy/

8a.

Re: BodyMed DAN! Practitioners' New Year Resolution !!!

Posted by: " celesteleo2725 " celesteleo2725@... celesteleo2725

Mon

Dec 17, 2007 1:43 pm (PST)

The improvements of the hbot improvements are cumulative, and there

are not reversible. With the vitamins and supplements, it is a

little bit different, children in teh autism spectrum need a good

supplementation becuase they aer not able to absorb the minerals

andvitamins obtain from foods, meaning thatuntil their gut isclear,

they are going to need the supplements.

We have all the research for the hbot and the mB12 combined, you can

call us any time and we will mail it or fax it to you, I would put it

here, but I don't know how to attach the files in the message.

Feel free to contact us if you have further questions

Luciana Leo

(954)584-3198

> > >

> > > After listening to the parents' stories, BodyMed decided to

make a

> > > new year's resolution to help more children this year by

offering

> > > discounts.

> > > Wishing that the new year will be the best year your child has

> ever

> > > had, we are offering our 6 week speech protocol, normally $3300

> > > dicounted to $1696.45.

> > >

> > > This protocol is designed to enhance speech, socialization, and

> > > emotion. Research has shown improvement in 80% of children,

> showing

> > > an increase in all phases of spontaneous language, more complex

> > > sentences,increase vocabulary, interactive play, understanding,

> eye

> > > contact, and social congnition in autims.

> > >

> > > What your child gets in the 6 week program...

> > >

> > > 2 Visits with our biomedical practitioner (Trained in DAN!

Method)

> > > 18 Hrs Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy dives

> > > 18 Methyl B12 treatments

> > > 18 Mineral baths treatments

> > > Daily vitamins, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and

oxytocin

> > > nasal sprays.

> > >

> > > All the treatments mentioned above arecovered by the $1696.45.

All

> > > new patients must see the practitioners prior to starting the

> > > protocol, the initial visit cost $200.

> > >

> > > Biomedical medicine is not covered by insurance. We have payment

> > > plans available. 12/18months with no interest.

> > >

> > > You can contact us by calling at(954)584-3198, or sending an

> email at

> > > bodymed@

> > >

> > > This promotion is going to be good for December and January.

> > >

> > > Other treatments, and testing are available, call if you have

any

> > > questions !

> > >

> >

>

Messages in this topic (4)

Fw: Holiday tips for families of children with autism

Posted by: " TinaTerriAustin " austintandt@... austintandt

Mon

Here's a great article about

things you can do to help prepare your

> family for the holidays. There's some great tips in this article:

>

> http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=holiday_tips

>

> I'm not sure if you have to log in first as a member of the

> ASA site(it's free) to sign up, but try the link above first and

> see if you can just get to the page that way.

>

> Have a lovely holiday.

>

> Sinclair

>

> PO Box 126, Ardsley, NY 10502-0126

>

> To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:

> http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?TGwMbKzstMysrCzs7BystEa0TJyMDAwMzA==

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

SchaferAutismReport: Immune System May Target Some Brain Synapses, R

Posted by: " Karp " denisekarp@...

Mon

Immune System May Target Some Brain Synapses, Researchers Find

SAR " Healing Autism:

Schafer Autism Report No Finer a Cause on the Planet "

Monday, December 17, 2007 Reader Supported Vol. 11 No. 180p

DEADLINE FOR JANUARY 2008

AUTISM EVENTS CALENDAR IS

MONDAY - December 24 !

Submit listing here: http://www.sarnet.org/frm/cal-frm.htm

RESEARCH

* Immune System May Target Some Brain Synapses, Researchers Find

* Data on Autism In Children Described

PUBLIC HEALTH

* Possible Prevention

TREATMENT

* Hospital Breaks Ground On Neurological Center In Houston

EDUCATION

* Despite Court Win, Parents Struggle To Pay Tuition

PEOPLE

* A Statesman To Be?

* A Mother's Autism Campaign

FORENSIC

* Sex Offender's Medical Condition At Issue, Madison, WI

MEDIA

* Responding to Autism Stories

* The Google Top Ten Searches By English Users Around The World

RESEARCH

Immune System May Target Some Brain Synapses, Stanford Researchers Find

http://tinyurl.com/ytnmcm

A baby's brain has a lot of work to do, growing more neurons and

connections. Later, a growing child's brain begins to pare down these

connections until it develops into the streamlined brain of an adult.

Now researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine have

discovered the sculptor behind that paring process: the immune system.

The value of this discovery goes beyond understanding how connections

are weeded out in a normal, developing brain. The finding could also help

explain some neurodegenerative disorders - such as glaucoma, Alzheimer's

disease and multiple sclerosis - that result from the loss of too many

neuronal connections, which are known as synapses.

The advance, which has implications for drugs that could halt or

reverse such conditions, will be published in the Dec. 14 issue of the

journal Cell.

It was widely known that synapse elimination occurs during normal

development of a child's brain, but until now, no one knew how certain

synapses were flagged for removal. " We have identified the long-mysterious

mechanism by which excess synapses are sculpted away in the developing

brain, " said the study's senior author, Ben Barres, MD, PhD, professor of

neurobiology.

Barres' team found that the brain-sculpting process was controlled by

a component of the immune system known as the classical complement cascade.

The complement cascade is one part of the multipronged attack the

immune system launches throughout the body when it detects a foreign

invader. Consisting of more than 20 small proteins that normally circulate

in the blood in their inactive forms, the complement system is triggered

into action by an invading parasite. The first activated protein activates a

second one, which in turn activates a third, continuing down the line in a

domino effect, ultimately yielding a membrane-attack response that kills

cells.

Barres' team produced the first proof that the complement system also

plays a role in the brain by showing that complement proteins bind to

unwanted synapses, targeting them for elimination. Future studies will

determine how the synapses are marked for death.

When children reach the age of 10, synapse elimination normally shuts

down. But the researchers found that this elimination process becomes

reactivated very early in glaucoma, a neurodegenerative disease that is a

major cause of blindness. They found that the earliest known sign in

glaucoma was the complement cascade becoming active at synapses, followed by

massive synapse loss. Only much later did the neurons die, which is the

hallmark of neurodegenerative diseases.

" This is interesting, as these complement proteins are known to be

drastically up-regulated in nearly every neurodegenerative disease process

that has been examined, " said Barres. Up-regulation is the process by

which

a cell increases the amount of a molecule, such as a protein, in response to

a change in its environment. Alzheimer's disease, which involves massive

synapse loss, has a hundredfold up-regulation of complement proteins, he

said.

Read more: http://tinyurl.com/ytnmcm

For rest of today's SAR click here:

http://www.sarnet.org/frm/forsar.htm

For missed editions see archive:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/-AuTeach/messages

SARnets mailing list

SARnets@...

http://lists.igc.org/mailman/listinfo/sarnets

You can unsubscribe send email:

http://www.sarnet.org/frm/unsub2.htm

--

You are subscribed as:

denisekarp@...

SchaferAutismReport: Schools Accused of Pushing Mainstreaming to Cut

Mon

SAR " Healing Autism:

Friday, December 14, 2007 Reader Supported Vol. 11 No. 179p

MONDAY - December 24 !

EDUCATION

* Schools Accused of Pushing Mainstreaming to Cut Costs

CARE

* Students Electro-Shocked In Prank

* Caregivers Left Special Needs Trio Locked In Car For 3 Hours, UK

* Child Left On Bus For Hours

PEOPLE

* NY Killer Sentenced

TREATMENT

* Complaints Hit Chelation / HBOT Doctor

MEDIA

* Publication Offers Methods for Teaching Children With Autism

EVENTS

* Long Island is Rockin' For Autism

COMMENTARY

* My Turn: Don't Immunize Children On Blind Trust

LETTERS

EDUCATION

Schools Accused of Pushing Mainstreaming to Cut Costs

By Hechinger in the Wall Street Journal.

http://tinyurl.com/2kjj3e

Greece, N.Y - For years, Schuster's mother begged the public

schools here to put her son in a special program where he could get extra

help for his emotional problems. By 11th grade, had broken his hand

punching a wall and been hospitalized twice for depression -- once because

he threatened to kill himself with a pocket knife.

But teachers insisted that , who suffers from attention

deficit disorder, learning disabilities and bipolar disorder, could get by

in regular classrooms. His mother, Kathleen Lerch, says the reason was cost.

" It was all about the bottom line, " she says. Citing confidentiality,

school

officials declined to discuss 's case but said they seek to provide

an appropriate education to all children.

Advocates for the disabled have long promoted the inclusion of

special-education children in regular classes, a practice called

mainstreaming. Many educators view mainstreaming as an antidote to the

warehousing of children with special needs in separate, and often deficient,

classrooms and buildings.

Now, some experts and parents complain that mainstreaming has

increasingly taken on a new role in American education: a pretext for

cost-cutting, hurting the children it was supposed to help. While studies

show that mainstreaming can be beneficial for many students, critics say

cash-hungry school districts are pushing the practice too hard, forcing many

children into classes that can't meet their needs. Inclusion has evolved

into " a way of downsizing special education, " says Fuchs, a

Vanderbilt University education professor.

Districts have a powerful motivation to cut special-education costs.

U.S. schools spend almost twice as much on the average disabled student as

they do on a nondisabled peer, according to a 2004 federal study. But the

study also found that, in recent years, per-student special-education costs

rose more slowly than for the general population. One of the likely reasons,

researchers found, was cost savings from mainstreaming.

In 2003, Fairfax County, Va., an affluent Washington, D.C., suburb,

hired Gibson Consulting Group to study its special-education program.

Gibson, a firm specializing in education, says it has saved clients millions

of dollars by " improving productivity and eliminating inefficiencies. "

The

firm's president, Greg Gibson, says mainstreaming nearly always saves money

because regular classrooms have fewer teachers per student.

Gibson found that Fairfax spent an average of $14,671 per

special-education student in all types of classrooms -- 85% more than for a

pupil in general education. At 21 special-education centers, the per-student

cost was even higher: $22,195. Mr. Gibson estimated that the district, which

currently has a $2.2 billion school budget, could save $229 million through

2015 by closing 16 of the centers and taking other steps to teach more

disabled children in regular classrooms.

Fairfax shut down the centers, prompting some parent protests. Fairfax

officials acknowledge that the moves reduced costs, but say that children

are better off in mainstream classrooms. They would not specify how much has

been saved but said it was far less than Mr. Gibson's projections because

special-ed students have received additional support.

MacMillan, chair of the special-education department at

Bridgewater State College in Massachusetts, says the Plymouth, Mass., public

schools are currently cutting costs by moving students from separate centers

-- either public ones operated by multiple districts or private facilities

-- back into community schools and, where possible, into regular classrooms.

'For the Kids'

Cheryl Jacques, director of Plymouth's Pilgrim Academy, a separate

public center primarily for students with emotional and behavioral problems,

says her center's enrollment is dropping because districts are trying to be

" economically responsible. " Though she supports bringing students

back to

local schools if the children are ready, in some cases districts are likely

" keeping kids that don't belong there, " she says. Pilgrim charges

districts

$24,000 a year for each student. At Plymouth's public schools, the average

cost of a special-education student runs $13,343. Bruce Cole, Plymouth's

director of special education, counters: " I do what's best for the

kids. "

In the Greece Central School District, with 13,000 students, the push

for more mainstreaming began in 1998. That year, Walts, a former

land schools administrator, took over as superintendent in this

middle-class suburb near Rochester, N.Y., where many work for Eastman Kodak

Co. and Xerox Corp.

At the time, Mr. Walts was under pressure from New York state to

include more disabled children in regular classrooms. The federal

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act requires that students be

taught, when possible, in the " least restrictive " environment.

Making Gains

Since Congress started pushing for mainstreaming more than a quarter

century ago, many academic studies have found that the practice helps

children with disabilities make academic and social gains. The two largest

federal studies, each examining the records of 11,000 disabled school-age

children, concluded that while failure rates rose, mainstreamed students

overall tended to have higher grades and test scores than their counterparts

in separate classes.

In Greece, Mr. Walts slashed the number of students referred to

special outside schools, cutting separate classrooms and limiting

" resource

rooms, " or learning centers for students with disabilities.

+ Read more http://tinyurl.com/2kjj3e

http://www.sarnet.org/frm/forsar3.htm

SARnets mailing list

SARnets@...

--

You are subscribed as:

denisekarp@...

Recent

Activity

·

New Members

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups

Get cancer support

Connect w/ others

find help & share

Yahoo! Groups

A family Group

to share and learn

about healthy eating.

Yahoo! Health

Fit for Life

Getting fit is now

easier than ever.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the " Reply " links to

respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

MARKETPLACE

Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance

your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

Fed Lowers Rates Again - Think you pay

you much for your mortgage? No SSN Required - Estimate New Payment.

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID

required)

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to Traditional

Visit Your Group | Yahoo!

Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

Guest guest

penny, it was fabulous !

J

Have a great day

Jeannine

's List

3a.

5a.

Marie-

Tasteless Cartoon From:

& Jazel zell

7a.

Reverse Inclusion From:

& Jazel zell

7b.

Cohane

7c.

Benito

8a.

8b.

Mon

Mon

blessingsx10@...

Wednesday

3a.

Disney

Mon

Hi!

special needs pass!! I have hope that the trip will be much more enjoyable! I was

Thanks for advice!

Mon

-----Original

Message-----

In this course you will:

neurological functioning

form.

peg@...

" opt-out " .

5a.

Anyone use Vyvanse?

Mon

My

and the

anyone?

Thanks for sharing.

Marie-

Tasteless Cartoon

Mon

This

the ass as well.

cartoonist?

Jazel

7a.

Reverse Inclusion

Mon

Hi all,

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

7b.

Mon

Hi,

kids are

it’s meant

On

Behalf Of & Jazel zell

Hi all,

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

_____

7c.

Mon

Reverse

interacting with adults.

Nila Benito

phony_engineer@...:

Hi all,

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

Console.

8a.

Mon

Luciana Leo

(954)584-3198

> > >

make a

offering

> > > discounts.

> ever

> > >

> showing

> eye

> > >

> > >

Method)

oxytocin

> > > nasal sprays.

> > >

All

> > >

> > >

> email at

> > > bodymed@

> > >

> > >

any

> > > questions !

> > >

> >

>

Mon

>

>

>

> Have a lovely holiday.

>

> Sinclair

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Mon

SAR " Healing Autism:

MONDAY - December 24 !

RESEARCH

PUBLIC HEALTH

* Possible Prevention

TREATMENT

EDUCATION

PEOPLE

* A Statesman To Be?

FORENSIC

MEDIA

RESEARCH

journal Cell.

neurobiology.

cells.

which

said.

SARnets mailing list

SARnets@...

--

You are subscribed as:

denisekarp@...

Mon

SAR " Healing Autism:

MONDAY - December 24 !

EDUCATION

CARE

PEOPLE

* NY Killer Sentenced

TREATMENT

MEDIA

EVENTS

COMMENTARY

LETTERS

EDUCATION

school

The

'For the Kids'

back to

districts

kids. "

Co. and Xerox Corp.

Making Gains

in separate classes.

" resource

SARnets mailing list

SARnets@...

--

You are subscribed as:

denisekarp@...

Recent

Activity

·

New Members

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups

Get cancer support

Connect w/ others

find help & share

Yahoo! Groups

A family Group

to share and learn

about healthy eating.

Yahoo! Health

Fit for Life

Getting fit is now

easier than ever.

Need to Reply?

MARKETPLACE

required)

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to Traditional

Guest guest

penny, it was fabulous !

J

Have a great day

Jeannine

's List

3a.

5a.

Marie-

Tasteless Cartoon From:

& Jazel zell

7a.

Reverse Inclusion From:

& Jazel zell

7b.

Cohane

7c.

Benito

8a.

8b.

Mon

Mon

blessingsx10@...

Wednesday

3a.

Disney

Mon

Hi!

Thanks for advice!

Mon

-----Original

Message-----

In this course you will:

neurological functioning

form.

peg@...

" opt-out " .

5a.

Anyone use Vyvanse?

Mon

My

and the

anyone?

Thanks for sharing.

Marie-

Tasteless Cartoon

Mon

This

the ass as well.

cartoonist?

Jazel

7a.

Reverse Inclusion

Mon

Hi all,

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

7b.

Mon

Hi,

kids are

it’s meant

On

Behalf Of & Jazel zell

Hi all,

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

_____

7c.

Mon

Reverse

interacting with adults.

Nila Benito

phony_engineer@...:

Hi all,

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jazel

Console.

8a.

Mon

Luciana Leo

(954)584-3198

> > >

make a

offering

> > > discounts.

> ever

> > >

> showing

> eye

> > >

> > >

Method)

oxytocin

> > > nasal sprays.

> > >

All

> > >

> > >

> email at

> > > bodymed@

> > >

> > >

any

> > > questions !

> > >

> >

>

Mon

>

>

>

> Have a lovely holiday.

>

> Sinclair

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Mon

SAR " Healing Autism:

MONDAY - December 24 !

RESEARCH

PUBLIC HEALTH

* Possible Prevention

TREATMENT

EDUCATION

PEOPLE

* A Statesman To Be?

FORENSIC

MEDIA

RESEARCH

journal Cell.

neurobiology.

cells.

which

said.

SARnets mailing list

SARnets@...

--

You are subscribed as:

denisekarp@...

Mon

SAR " Healing Autism:

MONDAY - December 24 !

EDUCATION

CARE

PEOPLE

* NY Killer Sentenced

TREATMENT

MEDIA

EVENTS

COMMENTARY

LETTERS

EDUCATION

school

The

'For the Kids'

back to

districts

kids. "

Co. and Xerox Corp.

Making Gains

in separate classes.

" resource

SARnets mailing list

SARnets@...

--

You are subscribed as:

denisekarp@...

Recent

Activity

·

New Members

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups

Get cancer support

Connect w/ others

find help & share

Yahoo! Groups

A family Group

to share and learn

about healthy eating.

Yahoo! Health

Fit for Life

Getting fit is now

easier than ever.

Need to Reply?

MARKETPLACE

required)

Guest guest

Hi

I wanted to get one of those plastic holders for our pass –

I saw a mom there with one around her neck on It’s A Small World and

thought that would be a great idea!

Where did you get it ? I cant’ seem to find them

anywhere for the exact size.

Can you please let me know, we are going again in January

and I’d love to get it before then

Thanks