RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

- Advice on IM injections

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Gwen,

The shots are no sweat! I gave them to myself all the time in the butt. Your butt is a MUCH better place to do these than your thigh. You need to go all the way in with those long needles (or close to all the way) since the object is to do it intramuscularly (IM). So, when you look at the needle and you think no way I can't poke this into myself that deep, you will be surprised how easy it is to go deeper. I was told by several nurses that my thigh would hurt much worse than my bottom. So I wouldn't try this.

Here is how I did it in my butt. I sat up on the counter in my bathroom so I can get a side view of my bottom. You can inject directly into the muscular part of your butt on the side, it doesn't have to be in the back. So, the mirror in the bathroom really helps. I did this in lots of hotels too!

When you get ready to inject make a deliberate smooth motion going in...not too fast and not too slow. Don't worry, you will get practice from your subcutaneous injections. When you have broken the skin the needle slips in VERY easily and it is painless. Before I start to push on the plunger I pull back slightly to see if I am in a blood vessel. If the plunger doesn't pull back blood into the syringe (very rare that this occurs) then I go ahead and push the oil in. When you deliver the oil, push the syringe slowly, this helps to prevent pain. Then rub the area for a few minutes as I mentioned before. IM injections are actually quite painless and I found them to be easier than the SC injections after I got good at them.

If you find yourself quite squeemish and having anxiety attacks before your first attempts, this is quite normal. Don't worry, you will get through it and it will get better quickly. I had these attacks in the beginning too. Now I feel silly about it, but I think it's normal.

Hope this helps.

and : Thank you both for the great advice on injections. I am a little concerned as it appears that I will be giving them to myself!! And therefore, will have to do them in my thigh as I can't imagine that doing them in my own behind would be very easy to do. My DH is VERY squeamish and also works evenings at least a few nights each week (he's a hotel manager) and therefore won't be home to give me evening injections all the time. So, I'm hoping that doing it in my thigh won't hurt too much....we'll see. I think I can do the Repronex subcutaneously instead of intramuscularly so those I can do in my stomach just under the skin instead of deep in the muscle.....so I shouldn't have to worry about the intramuscular until the progesterine shots....I'll try warming the shots and massaging afterwards as you suggested, thanks!

I really appreciate all the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions are this procedes! So nice to know I have people who have "been there"!

Gwen