RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Oh Bonnie, This is so wonderful for Patty. I hope one day Kim can do something like that. Lydia mom to chrgr Kim 15, Alia 15, 17, 20 Perkins Trip I don't know if I told everyone but today is the day Patty goes to Perkins for three weeks

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh Bonnie, This is so wonderful for Patty. I hope one day Kim can do something like that. Lydia mom to chrgr Kim 15, Alia 15, 17, 20 Perkins Trip I don't know if I told everyone but today is the day Patty goes to Perkins for three weeks. Because Patty is going to be a junior in high school we are looking at the future, her independence from us in some manner- whether she goes to some sort of college or get a job or whatever. She desperately wants to move out eventually and live with a roommate or something like that. Well, to get her there we have so much to do. Today we are drooping her off at Perkins, near Boston, for a sort of camp (?) thing. It is called "Dealing with the Present while Preparing for the Future." The write - the students will be taught to utilize problem solving, teamwork, personal management and specialized skills-like computers. It has intensive socialization and recreational activities and opportunities to improve self-confidence. She will be living kind of like in an apartment. They are responsible for food preparation and their personal finances. It even says independent shopping! Then they will be going swimming, canoeing, and even white water rafting. Seeing how she really hurts socially this is one of the best things for her. The last time she was there for a three day program she actually made a couple of friends there instantly, and THEY CALL HER still. I have to say the only time she was ever away from us without a family member with her was the three day program at Perkins. This time she will be at Perkins till we pick her up to go to the conference in Indy. God I will miss her. She says don't worry because she wont' miss us, she will be coming back. "It's only three weeks and not like I am going to college or anything." I can't believe she has the opportunity to do this. It is exactly what she needs. Three weeks though, boy will the house be quiet... Bonnie, Mom to Kris 18, Patty CHARGE 16, and wife to 5th International CHARGE Syndrome Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana,July20-22, 2001. Information is available at our websitewww.chargesyndrome.org or by calling 1-.For information about the CHARGE Syndrome Foundation or to become a member (and get the newsletter)please contact marion@... or visit the CHARGE Syndrome Foundation web page at http://www.chargesyndrome.org