RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

I'm new on this forum too

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I found out about Misophonia about 2 weeks ago and have been reading everyones posts. I'm 51 years old and knowing about "misophonia" and learning that other people have this peculiar condition makes me feel so much better--I wish the internet had been around when I was younger. I have had problems with depression and GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) all my life. I believe now that it is all because of the misophonia I have. My 16 year old son was diagnosed with Autism when he was 2 years old and since then I thought maybe I just have a "mild" autism--which of course is a "spectrum disorder" (that means you can have it on a mild scale all the way to a severe scale). Maybe Misophonia is a "spectrum" kind of disorder as well? I know I don't have it as severely as some people on this forum, but I know I definitely have it.

Someone posted about not liking to be touched. I think all of these things are related (part of the brain that is effected?). And then there is that genetic component as well. For instance, my son has auditory sensitivities which of course is part of his autism. He also has sensory issues as well. I also have some visual aversions--which have always seemed silly to me and didn't make sense, but in reading about misophonia it all makes sense. I just hope research continues because this is a very difficult thing to live with.

I have always had a very difficult time with relationships as well. I get close to someone then eventually they figure out all my "abnormal" sound sensitivities and know one seems to really understand that these noises are not just "annoyances" but more of a torture than is absolutely untolerable and causes extreme anger and anxiety. Right now I have a boyfriend but he lost his job and moved in with us a few months ago and it has NOT been going well. I just can't sleep with him because of his snoring and breathing. I wear earplugs and have a sound machine but he doesn't understand I can't have the window open (crickets and dogs barking), he doesn't understand at all. I tried to tell him about misophonia, but he just rolled his eyes and thinks its ridiculas. Well, I know its not. I told my therapist about it a couple days ago and shes very excited for me.

I hope that more and more people with this disorder will come out and it will become more known and accepted.