RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Question about pre-op Pepcid prior to c/section

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We give Bicitra po and anesthesia will either give pepcid or zantac iv once the patient is on the table

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This email and any attachments are confidential and may contain privileged attorney-client information or protected patient health information. If you are not the above named intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver this email to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, printing, copying, or distribution of this email or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or reply email and destroy this email and any attachments. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----From: gin11153@... Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 5:38 PMTo: ob-gyn-l@...; csen-anesthesia-mailing-list Cc: OBNURSES Subject: [OBnurses] Question about pre-op Pepcid prior to c/sectionHave any of you OB/GYNs either ordered or have seen anesthesiologists order 20mg of IV Pepcid prior to a section? The hospitals I have worked in give Bicitra(sp) orally but not anything like Pepcid IV. Thanks in advance for your responses.Gail Neuman RNC CPHW SNPPerinatal educationPerinatal Nurse AssociatesTustin, CA Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

Have any of you OB/GYNs either ordered or have seen anesthesiologists order 20mg of IV Pepcid prior to a section?

Yes, I had one order Bicitra, Pepcid IV, and Reglan IV, but only once. It was for an unscheduled case who had been eating throughout the day. And it was an anesthesiologist I don't normally work with. And if I remember correctly, that pt puked in the OR and RR. Normally, we just see the Bicitra ordered by the anesthesia docs, but never by the CRNA's. ???

Carla

Attached Mommy to Tanner 7, 4, & my waterbaby Tatum 1

Guest guest

Have any of you OB/GYNs either ordered or have seen anesthesiologists order 20mg of IV Pepcid prior to a section?

Yes, I had one order Bicitra, Pepcid IV, and Reglan IV, but only once. It was for an unscheduled case who had been eating throughout the day. And it was an anesthesiologist I don't normally work with. And if I remember correctly, that pt puked in the OR and RR. Normally, we just see the Bicitra ordered by the anesthesia docs, but never by the CRNA's. ???

Carla

Attached Mommy to Tanner 7, 4, & my waterbaby Tatum 1

Guest guest

We give PO Bicitra, IVPB Zantac, and IV Reglan.

> Have any of you OB/GYNs either ordered or have seen

anesthesiologists order

> 20mg of IV Pepcid prior to a section? The hospitals I have worked

in give

> Bicitra(sp) orally but not anything like Pepcid IV.

>

> Thanks in advance for your responses.

>

> Gail Neuman RNC CPHW SNP

> Perinatal education

> Perinatal Nurse Associates

> Tustin, CA

Guest guest

We use bicitra before all c/s, and some of our anesthesiologists also want

bicitra before epidurals.

Reglan and pepcid are given once in a while.

Laurie

Guest guest

We use bicitra before all c/s, and some of our anesthesiologists also want

bicitra before epidurals.

Reglan and pepcid are given once in a while.

Laurie

Guest guest

Why do we give the antiemetics anyway? There is practically no nauseawith spinal

I think that most of the nausea is cause by hypotension during an epidural or spinal, and the second cause is vagal response from manipulating the baby out. Guess they just want the stomach as empty and as acid-neutralized as they can in case of an aspiration. Still not quite sure why our docs give bicitra before a labor epidural...only place I've worked where they do that.

Laurie

Guest guest

Each anesthesiologist is different. Most frequently it is the " Section

Cocktail " (Bicitra, Pepcid, and Reglan). Then sometimes it's just the IV

meds, and then sometimes just the Bicitra. We do have one

anesthesiologist that just hydrates with LR x2L.

Personally, I think Bicitra is an unnecessary that often induces nausea

(I took it myself before my section). <bleh!> IV Reglan often makes the

pt. anxious (I piggyback it over 15 minutes). Pepcid seems to be

sufficient.

Why do we give the antiemetics anyway? There is practically no nausea

with spinal. I did experience some waves of nausea when as they finished

the spinal for my own section. The anesthesiologist just pushed

something (boy was it good :) ) and it was gone within seconds.

jenn

mom to Zachariah 12/18/02

Guest guest

Our elective c-sections get Ranitidine (I think another name is Zantac?) the night before. Prior to our emergency sections (if time permits) we give bromo seltzer (drink)

Chrisgin11153@... wrote:

Have any of you OB/GYNs either ordered or have seen anesthesiologists order 20mg of IV Pepcid prior to a section? The hospitals I have worked in give Bicitra(sp) orally but not anything like Pepcid IV. Thanks in advance for your responses.Gail Neuman RNC CPHW SNPPerinatal educationPerinatal Nurse AssociatesTustin, CA Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

We give bicitra only if we have to do a general and the patient has eaten within 8 hrs. Otherwise we don't give anything. Deb

"The fingerprint of God is often a paw print." Chernak McElroy

Re: [OBnurses] Question about pre-op Pepcid prior to c/section

We use bicitra before all c/s, and some of our anesthesiologists also want bicitra before epidurals.Reglan and pepcid are given once in a while.LaurieWelcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

We routinely use Bicitra po. But if it is an emergency and the patient had eaten within 6 hours or so, then they order IV pepcid and reglan.

sue

We use IV Reglan before scheduled procedures.

DebWelcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

We routinely give 1-2 liter hydration just before the epidural. If we do get N & V with a B/P drop, the CRNA gives meds for the B/P. Deb

"The fingerprint of God is often a paw print." Chernak McElroy

Why do we give the antiemetics anyway? There is practically no nauseawith spinal

I think that most of the nausea is cause by hypotension during an epidural or spinal, and the second cause is vagal response from manipulating the baby out. Guess they just want the stomach as empty and as acid-neutralized as they can in case of an aspiration. Still not quite sure why our docs give bicitra before a labor epidural...only place I've worked where they do that.

LaurieWelcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

Why do we give the antiemetics anyway? There is practically no nauseawith spinal.

I think it is more to settle the acids in the stomach to hopefully minimize the risk of aspiration of gastric acid.

ChrisPost your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals

Guest guest

Our anesthesiologists say we give Bicitra before even a labor epidural just "in case" something happens and maybe the epidural travels up or something weird like that..to neutralize stomach acid in case it is aspirated. Very rare..but they insist we do it anyway!

sue

LaurieWelcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.