RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

- swimming

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI ,

I was thinking of taking some adult swimming classes myself - I'm not very confident in the water - especially open water - I love to play in the pool though and find it so relaxing that I really should improve my skills so I can enjoy it even more. I may look into it - trouble is finding the time!

Take care!Donna

Subject: Re: Sunday- Humbled by a !To: exercisevideos Date: Sunday, November 2, 2008, 7:27 PM

Wow! I don't have this one but I might need it! Sounds like a fun workout to do, great going too Donna!

I love the pool pass idea, I should think about doing that too. We certainly have enough "stuff" around here! We were doing swim lessons then ran out of money for them, then had money but no time and are back to being in the potentially no money so I'm not signing up for lessons right now but want to get my kids back into it. My DS had a lot of problems with it when he first started, mostly because of his sensory issues, but did great with it last time we did it. DD was doing really well too. DS is pretty comfortable in the water but needs to improve his strokes and learn rhythmic breathing and DD is really just starting to learn strokes and is not comfortable without a life jacket. All in good time we'll get back to it. I love swimming but DH does a mean dog paddle but that's about it (so ideally, he should take lessons too but isn't interested).

Thanks for this review and the pool pass idea too!

Sunday- Humbled by a !

Hi,

Today I tried a new (to me) workout - her Walk Away the Pounds Walk Strong. I'm not sure when this one came out - I'm guessing around the time of her Walk Away the Pounds workouts?? says she just turned 40 in this one - so, if anyone know how old she is now, we can figure out when this came out (mabye 5 years ago?) Anyway, this one humbled me! It is a circuit training workout - 3 minutes of 's walk aerobics followed by 3 minutes of strength training. The strength training portions made me really see how out of practice I am w/ weights. In the strength portions you do basic exercises, squats, lunges, overhead presses, tricep extensions, bicep curls, etc. No really chest or back work. often uses compound movements - squat w/ overhead press, lunge w/ bicep curl, etc. I used 5's (like ) and really felt it! I would say this one could be ramped up by using

heavier weights - maybe up to 10's if you are used to using weights. 's backgrounders show different weight options - one does the entire workout (even the walking parts) w/ weighted gloves, one uses the walk-away-the- pounds balls (I think they're 2 lbs), I think someone else uses 3's and one backgrounder does everything w/out weights. Like I said, I can tell I haven't trained w/ weights in a while b/c the 5's were pretty challenging for me and I can feel that I'll be sore in my lower body tomorrow. The good news is for the most part my back handled the workout. I was careful on form - my chrio had told me not to do squats w/ weights or to do any overhead lifting, and I admit, I didn't follow his instructions here. I figured I was using light enough weight - and those are somewhat functional moves so I should probably do them sometimes (w/ good form) - perhaps I'm rationalizing. I haven't suffered any ill

effects though, and I did stretch out well afterwards to decompress my spine.

I also added on a 3 minute 2 mile walk from this series on - it is called the 30 min walk. Basic - not as fast paced as some of her newer walks, though. I may consider trying this one on a step sometime - modifying the walking moves to a step. I didn't want to do that today, since I figured I'd introduce one "new" thing at a time.

I wanted to do some Pilates, but due to changing our clocks last night, DD was up earlier than usual so I didn't have time. I hope to sneak some in this afternoon, after church and before we take a family trip to the park to walk in the woods. The weather is really great here today and yesterday! YAY!

Oh, DD had her first swim lesson at the Y yesterday. I don't know if I mentioned that we tried swim lessons a few weeks ago in a non-parent-particip ation class - well it didn't go well and we dropped the class - but she LOVED the parent participation class. I'm so happy we found a parent participation class that was for her age group. At the place we tried her other lesson, she was to "old" for their parent participation classes and the only option they could offer me was private lessons. I'm glad we found this class at the Y. It goes up to age 6 - so we'll keep taking it until she is ready to "graduate" to the next level. It was wonderful to see her enjoying it (she got really scared at the other class) and at the end of the class she was even dog paddling all by herself w/ the floaties on. She wasn't thrilled w/ floating on her back, but the teacher was very understanding. Her philosophy was not to

scare them. I now have another idea for a Xmas present for her that will be good for her (and me, since I get to take her!) - a pool pass to the pool! It won't take up any space in our house and it will get us some good exercise and practice in the water.

Oh well - better run. Take care,

Donna