RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

By Carrington PhD, EFT Master

Rate this topic

Guest guest

By Carrington PhD, EFT MasterPart 1: The Starting PointYou may have heard of, or seen The Secret the popular movie that is being sold as a DVD, and its companion book of the same name. Based on a concept known as the Law of Attraction, the DVD is a runaway best seller that has already been featured twice on the Oprah Winfrey show and many other major television shows. Many of those who learned about the Law of Attraction from the pioneering work of Abraham Hicks in this area, consider the impressive success of The Secret as a sign of a change in consciousness occurring in our world today, one which they hope will bring us to a more enlightened stage of evolution.There are some grounds for concern about The Secrets' startling success, however. This is because the movie neglects to mention certain pieces of information that must be known for

the method to be fully successful. If The Secret is not used correctly it cannot fulfill the promises made in its name, and if this happens the public could easily conclude that they have tried that idea and it doesn't work, an attitude which could have very undesirable consequences for a concept that is, at the very least, worthy of serious consideration.Actually, EFT may turn out to be a powerful aid to The Secret, because what is omitted from the movie is a viable method for changing a person's vibrational frequency. Yet it is clear that a means of changing one€ ¢â’ ’¹s energy frequency must be used with The Secret or it cannot work. An energy intervention is therefore necessary if one is to apply the concepts of The Secret successfully. To explain why, I will refer to the book,The Secret.This book is described by its authors as giving details of the concepts expressed in the movie that were

discarded on the cutting room floor when the movie was edited. Of necessity the director had to select only certain portions of the original footage so that the film would fit within a certain time frame, and the book claims to have reinstated much of this information. For this reason, I will consider the book to be the authoritative source of information about this concept. Here, in essence, are the main principles of The Secret as described in the book:The Law of Attraction is based on a premise that € ¢â’ ’¼like attracts like, "so that when you think a thought, you will also be attracting like thoughts to you.Thoughts are said to be magnetic, to have a frequency of their own. As you think, your thoughts are sent out into the universe where they magnetically attract all like things which are on the same frequency. In short, everything sent out returns to the sender oneself.The

authors liken each human being to a human transmission tower transmitting a frequency by means of their thoughts. Therefore, if you want to change anything in your life, you are advised to change the frequency of your energetic signals by changing your thoughts.Inherent in this idea is the concept that your current thoughts are creating your future. What you think about the most and focus on the most will, according to the theory, appear in your life. As the book puts it, "your thoughts become things"; they become your reality.It is clear that the authors are not just talking here just about the words you use to speak to yourself, although these are considered very important, but also to the feelings that accompany your words. The latter are seen as strongly influencing your basic energy vibration. This idea reminds me of the EFT Discovery Statement, which states that € ¢â’ ’¼the cause of all

negative emotions is a disruption in the body€ ¢â’ ’¹s energy system€ ¢â’ ’½. The additional suggestion in The Secret, however, is that your energy vibrations radiate outwards, acting much as a tuning fork might, to bring about similar vibrations in the universe. When we strike a tuning fork, objects at a distance from that fork will start to resonate at the same sound frequency as the fork itself (provided they contain certain similar ingredients). These new objects will have been "entrained€ ¢â’ ’½ by the vibratory rate of the original tuning fork.The book describes your thoughts as magnetic forces that attract back to you the same frequencies that you are sending out.I won€ ¢â’ ’¹t take time here to discuss the value of the Law of Attraction, although this would make an interesting discussion, but consider the implications of viewing reality this way.It is

clear that, seen from this perspective, thoughts take on a tremendous importance that we have not previously granted them. The Law of Attraction implies that the vibrational frequency we radiate is of the greatest importance to our life. Not only do we feel deep distress when this frequency is discordant, but it is said that we will attract into our lives an outer manifestation of this same type of distress, as the same negative frequencies that we radiated out to the Universe are now reflected back to us.If this is so, obviously we would want to do everything within our power to change our negative frequencies to positive ones, and do so continuously. Only in this way could we avoid attracting negative consequences and bring about desirable ones.Changing our negative frequencies to positive ones is certainly a good idea, even if we were not to accept the basic premises of The Secret, but there is a missing

ingredient in The Secret that raises a question. This ingredient is the all-important "how to". The question we need to ask is: How do we go about changing a negative frequency to a positive one? Obviously simply deciding that you are not going to emit a negative frequency or that you want to send out a positive one, won€ ¢â’ ’¹t achieve the results you desire. I am reminded of the relevance of Craig's concept of "tail enders", those nagging inner contradictions that we so often have in the back of our minds when we express a positive thought the doubts and nay- saying that can easily negate our conscious positive intentions. Tail-enders can defeat any effort of ours to switch frequencies.In neurolinguistic programming (NLP) terms, we are all too often not € ¢â’ ’¼congruent". That is, we don't agree 100% with what we ourselves are thinking or feeling, we don't fully believe it.

The fact is that if we don't reach for something with one hundred percent of ourselves, we are not likely to get it.Consider this€ ¢â’ ¦If you were to send a positive signal into the Universe and at the same time unwittingly send out a negative signal at the same time, an interference pattern would be created with one signal tending to negate the other. At best, the positive signal would be ineffective and no particular identifiable effects would be seen. At worst, the negative signal might be stronger or more frequently emitted, in which case it would exert an overriding influence. In such a case, no matter how much you thought you were sending out a positive signal because that is what you had consciously tried to create through positive thinking, the negative signal would attract negative consequences.In order to be an effective € ¢â’ ’¼attractor€ ¢â’ ’½ therefore (bring

to yourself what you believe you are asking for) you would need to be free of inner contradictions about the issue at hand. But of course this is easier said than done. There may be deep negative patterns influencing your life which involve core issues that must be handled before your vibrational frequency, the energy that you radiate outwards, can change. Only when these core issues have been cleared will you be able to send unambiguous positive signals to the Universe.Fortunately, however, those who know EFT can use it to change their vibrational frequencies with respect to many spheres of their lives. Sometimes negative energy will be immediately replaced by a rush of positive energy, resulting in what Craig calls a One Minute Wonder. At other times, patience and persistence will be required to bring about a major energy shift, but the payoff can be tremendous. EFT is by definition a means of

accomplishing a major shift in energy by eliminating our negative emotional reactions. However, it can also be used to create positive vibrations directly. This is an EFT application that interests me greatly, and I have recently been writing about it on this website.It is interesting to note that the EFT self-acceptance phrase, "Even though I have (this problem), I deeply and completely accept myself." actually targets the level at which we vibrate. What more powerful means could we use to change our essential energy level than to deeply and completely accept ourselves? This is a positive suggestion which, over time, could create fundamental changes in our self image that might well alter the type of energy that we radiate outwards. When at the same time we tap on the Meridian endpoints, our energy systems can now vibrate at a different rate and emit a very different signal than before. If, on a practical

level, we want to find a way to combine EFT with the principles expressed in The Secret, what then might that be?Aside from its all-important use to eliminate troublesome issues mentioned above, there are several ways to use EFT directly to switch our energy toward the positive, and do this very quickly. I will be talking about these in my future articles in this series.Pat Carrington _____ Part 2: Appreciating Yourself with Loving KindnessThe "secret" of using EFT to implement The Secret(the Law of Attraction) is to create a positive vibrational level within yourself that is radically different from the one that you are accustomed to. It is the frequency of the signal that you send out to the Universe that is said to attract to you events and people of like frequency. This signal is not superficial, not words alone, nor is it just conscious intentions.Ask yourself -- what is the

primary type of signal I am sending to myself all day long? This is what you will be radiating outwards.The answer to this question may surprise you because you will discover, if you observe carefully, that most signals you give to yourself are of a corrective in nature: "Don't lean too far to the left or you will fall down." Or,"Don't move too fast or you spill the coffee." Our survival depends on this type of negative feedback. Objective reality-based correction like this doesnt adversely affect our vibrational level because we usually correct our errant behavior almost instantaneously. We might compare the process to the way a jet plane manages to stay on course when in flight. The planes are actually off course approximately 95% of the time, but their radar system corrects them constantly through its calculated negative feedback. This feedback is essential for the correct operation of

the flight system as well as all living systems.However, there is another kind of negative feedback that is not natural but learned, and which is almost exclusively human as far as we know, although animals closely identified with human beings may learn to display somewhat similar behavior. This involves the use of negative judgments about our own behavior. All day long we are telling ourselves that we have not done this correctly, not done something we should have done, not properly planned for something that€ ¢â’ ’¹s going to happen, aren€ ¢â’ ’¹t executing a present task properly, and so on and on. Our past, present and future actions are under our constant scrutiny and the resulting negative judgments are so automatic that we don€ ¢â’ ’¹t even notice them. This continuous stream of negative self-observations is at work on us in a manner that puts a damper on all that we do.

It often effectively holds back our natural exuberance at being alive, in the name of "improvement", efficiency excellence or some other misapplied value.This doesnt mean we should do away with self evaluation. Not at all. It is important in our value oriented world, but what fails to occur here is a balancing of our own negative observations with our positive ones. We tend to have a lack of positive feedback in our daily lives, because we are actually not noticing most of the things that we do correctly.You can, however, effectively alter this situation by using a simple EFT exercise that I call simply Giving Loving Appreciation To Yourself. It involves a kind of self-awareness that results in a new form of self acknowledgment. If you€ ¢â’ ’¹d like to try it, here€ ¢â’ ’¹s how to go about it:Set aside 20 minutes, preferably each day, but at least occasionally, to notice

everything that you do for yourself € ¢â’ ’³ EVERYTHING € ¢â’ ’³â’ ’³ during this short time period, then thank yourself for it.. Every little effort that you make to meet your needs or the needs of others around you, is to be noticed and appreciated. You are to thank yourself by doing EFT for everything that you do to serve yourself or others physically, mentally, or emotionally during this time.Heres how a session of self appreciation of this sort would go if, for example, you were doing it first thing in the morning.Suppose that, after arising in the morning, you engaged in a ritual of brushing your teeth not unlikely I would think. You will probably have performed this simple ritual tens of thousands of times before in your life and Im sure that you dont ordinarily identify it as an accomplishment, unless of course you have suffered from a handicap and have noticed how extremely

complex this and most of the other simple acts that we take for granted, actually are.The fact is that brushing your teeth takes both skill and effort. It takes directed intention, and requires making decisions on a small but constant scale. You need to decide, for example, how much toothpaste to feed onto the brush at one time, how often to replenish the supply of toothpaste, which spots on your teeth to target with your brush € ¢â’ ’³â’ ’³many acts make up the process of tooth-brushing and you actually expend considerable effort daily, both mental and physical, on this task.When you finish your tooth-brushing operation then do one round of EFT in the following manner:Tap first on the karate chop spot, or the sore spot (whichever you use as your psychological reversal point for EFT) while repeating out loud, three times, the phrase, "I thank myself for brushing my teeth ¦ I thank

myself for brushing my teeth ¦ I thank myself for brushing my teeth. Or, you can use your own name instead of thanking yourself formally. When I do this exercise (I love it) I will often say’ Thank you, Pat, for brushing your (or teeth)instead of I thank myself. It always feels comforting to hear my own name used in such a kindly, aware fashion. And by doing this I am thanking myself for something that is usually a totally thankless task.You will repeat this thanks at each of the EFT tapping points, and do one full round of EFT, "I thank myself for brushing my teeth", € ¢â’ ’¼Thank you, Pat, for brushing my teeth€ ¢â’ ’½, "I thank myself for brushing my teeth€ ¢â’ ’½ etc.,at each point.For the rest of the exercise you repeat this procedure after every single task that you perform for yourself or others during your allotted 20 minutesThank you, Pat, for cooking

this egg."I thank myself for putting breakfast on the table.Thank you, Pat, for making that phone call etc.You will discover that every single thing you do in preparation for the day takes effort and thought, and this will probably be the first time ever that you have been thanked for doing it.During this 20 minutes, the more that each act you perform is classified by you as insignificant, the more important it is to appreciate the fact that you've accomplished it. In other words, the smaller the act the better! Those very small things that you continually do for yourself are the unsung heroes of your life. They are finally being appreciated, and because you tap on them, these statements are € ¢â’ ’¼going in on a very deep level.The impression you take away from this exercise is that someone(yourself) is at last recognizing how faithful you are in fulfilling your needs. I cant

emphasize strongly enough how immensely comforting this can be and how understood you can feel when you do this exercise. Its as though you had the most attentive, caring and aware parent at your side, watching with loving eyes each thing you do, and smiling with genuine appreciation at all that you do to simply manage to live.Please realize, however, that I am not suggesting that you praise yourself only for your successes. You will not be saying, in effect, Good Girl!or Good Boy!€to yourself just giving simple thanks. Thats all. Rewarding yourself with praise is a different exercise which can be valuable in f itself, but it is not the one that I'm talking about here. I am suggesting something far more fundamental that you recognize, at last, everything you actually do for yourself just in order to remain alive. This recognition is a major gift.To sum up these instructions the total EFT exercise

consists of doing (at least) one round of EFT for every act of service you perform for yourself or another during a stated 20 minute period. Even if you make a mistake while preparing your breakfast, for example € ¢â’ ’³â’ ’³ suppose you dropped a glass so that it shattered on the kitchen floor € ¢â’ ’³â’ ’³ then thank yourself for the simple act of picking up the broken pieces, placing them in the trash can, cleaning up the floor, and making certain that all splinters of glass have been eliminated from the area so that they endanger no one. The same procedure applies to your acts of service to others. If for example you were caring for a small child during this 20 minute period, you would thank yourself for every act that you performed for that child, each tiny act that would ordinarily go entirely unrecognized and unappreciated. How many care-takers ever experience this kind of

appreciation? This in itself could transform your day. There is actually no limit to the type of acts that you can recognize and express this kind of gratitude for:"Thank you,(your name) for checking the e-mail. (This phrase would be repeated at each tapping spot)Thank you, (your name) for deleting that email.Thank you, (your name) for answering the phone and talking to that person.And so on, and on, and on ¦If you tap repeatedly in recognition of the humblest services that you perform for yourself and others, you may well find that you feel an entirely new kind of love from yourself. It is totally without strings attached, deeply appreciative, and can change your entire vibrational frequency. You will be radiating this loving appreciation out into the Universe. Can you imagine what the repercussions of this powerful act could be, in addition to its immediate benefit?In the

next article in this series, I will be writing about how you can € ¢â’ ’¼tap in€ ¢â’ ’½ the positive when you fail to perform certain acts that you would like to do, that is, when you experience unfulfilled intentions. The method works equally well for this purpose. Pat Carrington _____ Part 3: Tapping In Gratitude for Positive IntentionsToday I will be talking about another way in which we can change our essential vibrational level, not just in words, but with deep conviction.It is an EFT exercise I call "Tapping in Positive Intentions". Everyone realizes a number of times each day that something they definitely intended to do, they haven't gotten around to doing. You may find that some new habit that you hoped to establish is not being put into place. Or that you have failed to respond to a phone call that you needed to answer, and so on and on. No matter how

much you appreciate the small acts of service that you perform for yourself each day (the subject of last week€ ¢â’ ’¹s article in this series) there will always be things you fail to do which you would have liked to do. The fact is, however, that you will never be able to fulfill all your intentions on any given day. It is simply not possible, given human imperfections and the fact that we do not (to put it mildly!) have unlimited time to get done what we feel we should have gotten done. It's fine to have intentions, it helps to structure our lives, but it is unproductive to allow our energy level to be affected when we do not fulfill them.Here is what I suggest you do when you are down on yourself because you have not done all those things which you intended to do today.Every time that you fail to realize your good intentions, you will create an EFT statement such as the following, and then

€ ¢â’ ’¼tap it in€ ¢â’ ’½. Do this by repeating this statement three times while tapping on the karate chop spot (or rubbing the sore spot, whichever point you use in your variation of EFT), and then repeat the statement again at each tapping point, for one round of EFT. Sometimes you may want to do more than one round, that€ ¢â’ ’¹s fine too. There is no "even though" part to this statement for you will be using EFT just for the purpose of tapping in the positive. The exercise will consist of thanking yourself for every unfilled intention of yours by tapping in your gratitude for that intention with using EFT. This may seem strange at first because ordinarily we don€ ¢â’ ’¹t even notice our own positive intentions, just our actions, and we certainly don€ ¢â’ ’¹t express appreciation for them.In order to do this exercise, you will create an EFT statement that

goes something like this: "I thank myself (or € ¢â’ ’¼thank you (insert your name) for having had the intention to start that exercise program today.€ ¢â’ ’½Or,"Thank you (your name) for having had the intention to work on that project today.€ ¢â’ ’½Or,"Thank you (your name) for having had the intention to get back to (person) with an e-mail explaining the situation."Or give thanks to yourself for having thought of whatever you genuinely wanted to do that you have not done.These expressions of gratitude refer to things that you had sincerely intended to but did not do for one reason or another, and therefore the list can be very large. There are many intentions that each of us have every day which are not fulfilled, and for which we can thank ourselves using this method.You may be surprised at how this lifts a burden from you. For once you

will feel acknowledged for actually having had the idea of making that call, or the intention of performing that act, The fact that you didn't actually do it is not relevant in this context, and it is immensely relieving to have someone (yourself in this case) notice that you did genuinely want to do such and such.How often have you heard someone say to another person (in self-defense), "But I did intend to do that! I thought about it." This person was trying to indicate that there is a positive value in intending to do something, even if you don€ ¢â’ ’¹t do it. In fact, thoughts being the powerful things that they are there is real value in intentions, for correctly used they can pave the way for our most positive future acts.However, you must not tell another person your good intentions and expect that, except in unusual cases, they will give you much credit for them, because we are not trained

to do this in our society You can however learn to give yourself that credit, and when you do, you won't have to ask for recognition of your good intentions from anyone else. Once again you are changing your own relationship to yourself by giving yourself loving recognition.One of the interesting effects of doing this is that when you genuinely recognize and thank yourself for your own good intentions, you are less likely to resist doing the act in question the later on or the following day. Focusing on your intention often fixes the idea of doing a certain act in your mind in an easy, supportive way. You know that you are loved and appreciated by yourself for actually having taken the trouble to formulate the thought of doing it, the intention to do it. You have recognized that it is a genuine accomplishment to have considered that thing worthy of doing € ¢â’ ’³â’ ’³ even if you

didn€ ¢â’ ’¹t put your idea into action yet. Like all other acts of appreciation, this is very apt to result in changed behavior.But please make sure of one thing. You should not be doing this exercise in order to manipulate your own behavior, or trying to sneak in self-control. You are simply appreciating something that has hitherto gone unnoticed € ¢â’ ’³ the fact that you really do have good ideas which you would like to put into practice, and that ideas and intentions count.The old saying that € ¢â’ ’¼The road to hell is paved with good intentions" is actually much misunderstood. What this saying obviously refers to are insincere intentions, the kind that are mouthed glibly but not felt. Instead, in this EFT exercise you will not be acknowledging yourself for empty promises to yourself that you might have made, perhaps in order to gain somebody else's approval, but will be

thanking yourself for things that you thought were worth doing and that you wanted to do, but just somehow didn€ ¢â’ ’¹t.It goes without saying that if you find yourself strongly resisting doing the thing that you think you intend to do, you will need to ask yourself some important questions, such as € ¢â’ ’¼Is this really my own intention or is it someone else€ ¢â’ ’¹s for me?€ ¢â’ ’½ or, € ¢â’ ’¼Do I really want to do this?€ ¢â’ ’½ Such questions as these can unearth what Craig refers to as € ¢â’ ’¼tail enders€ ¢â’ ’½, your inner objections and conflicts about the situation. If this happens, you will want to tap on these tail enders first.Since unfulfilled intentions form a large part of our lives, they give you a wonderful opportunity to do EFT many times a day in loving appreciation of the fact that you actually thought of

these good things and would genuinely like to do them. In my experience, it is much more likely that I will do these neglected things within the next day or so after having acknowledged the validity of my own positive intentions. This is an important way to create a new and different vibrational level within yourself and thereby send out very different signals to the Universe.In my next article in this series I will discuss how we can use EFT when we have made an actual mistake, or have done something we would much rather not have done. The tapping in€ ¢â’ ’½ method is equally effective for this purpose.Pat Carrington _____ Part 4: Handling Your Mistakes with CompassionIn this series I have been describing ways in which you can change your vibrational level to provide a new kind of self acceptance and self-love, one that radiates out into the universe as

positive.Today I will suggest a way that you can use EFT to deal with any mistakes you may have made during the day, or anything you have done which you regret, and do so with compassion and self understanding. Most people, and I am no exception, are not comfortable with having done something during the day which they consider stupid or impulsive or unkind or undesirable in some other respect. This sort of behavior on our parts can lead to much self recrimination. I will tell you about a way you can use EFT to reverse how you handle your mistakes of the day, and be much more likely to prevent them in the future. It is more effective than any verbal self blame. It is a kind technique that involves what I call € ¢â’ ’¼Redoing The Incident€ ¢â’ ’½. Here is how it works.First stop as soon as you realize that you have made a mistake, or as soon after that as is convenient, and observe

exactly what you did. Then ask yourself, "How would I like to handle this if I had it to do over again? How do I want to handle this kind of situation in the future?"Your answer to these questions must be detailed, generalizations won't work here. What you will do is create a "movie" in your mind of exactly how you would like to behave if you find yourself in this situation in the future. This takes a little imagination but is well worth it.Once you have your movie clearly in mind, then "tap it in€ ¢â’ ’½ in the way I will illustrate in the following true story.Recently I had occasion to use this EFT technique when I was driving on a deserted and icy road, and suddenly found that I had run out of gas, so that I had a hard time pulling the car to the side of the road. This was clearly not a desirable situation, but I knew that there was a gas station no more than about a half mile away, and I

also knew how difficult it can be in that area to persuade a service station attendant by telephone to come to a stranded car with gasoline. So I decided that the best plan was to get out of the car, walk to the gas station, and attempt to persuade the attendants in person. So this is what I did. It turned out to be an icy and unpleasant walk in very high wind but I did arrive at the service station, only to find that the attendants were engaged in other matters so I had to wait well over half an hour before I could finally persuade one of them to drive me back to my car and put enough gasoline in it to get me back to the garage. When we did arrive back, their fuel pump was not working and I eventually had to go to another service station to fill the tank.As my gas tank was finally being filled, my first inclination, which I am pleased to say I managed to stifle quickly, was to tell myself how stupid it

was of me to have allowed the tank to get that low. I immediately stopped myself from doing this however and decided to do EFT instead. To do so, I created a mental movie in my mind of how I would like to handle this kind of situation in the future. It was interesting what happened at that point. As I constructed the movie, I realized that the reason that I had not gone into a service station earlier to refuel was because when I had realized that the tank was getting low, I didn€ ¢â’ ’¹t have enough cash on hand for a full tank, and I refuse to use my credit card at service stations. I imagine a service station attendant whom I don€ ¢â’ ’¹t know disappearing with my card into the interior of the shop and only emerging many minutes later. What would stop them, I tell myself, from copying my credit card numbers during that interval and making identity theft? I realize, of course, that I allow

people waiting on me at restaurants to take my credit card out of the room, but somehow this seems safer to me than when on the road, irrational as this may be. Given that I feel this way, however, I realized that I need not let this concern of mine prevent me from having at least a half a tank of gas in my car at all times. What I decided to do, and consequently the way I constructed my movie of the future, was that, if for some reason I didn€ ¢â’ ’¹t have enough cash in my purse to buy the needed gas, then I would get out of the car and accompany the station attendant into the garage where I would stand nearby and watch as they ran my credit card through the machine. In my imagined movie, therefore, I first saw myself getting gas when my tank was low by paying cash for it, and then if I had no cash, I saw myself following the attendant and watching as they used my card. I then tapped on the

following EFT phrase, using the positive statement only.€ ¢â’ ’¼Always half a tank of gas no matter what.€ ¢â’ ’½â’ ¦â’ ’¼Always half a tank of gas no matter what.€ ¢â’ ’½â’ ¦â’ ’¼Always half a tank of gas no matter what.€ ¢â’ ’½ I repeated this phrase at each EFT spot. When I was finished, the impression of exactly what I would do in the future was so clear and deep in me that it felt like present reality.It was interesting to see what happened in the week following this incident. I did travel some distance in the car that week and of course the gas gauge showed a sharp lowering of fuel level as a result. As the needle moved down toward the halfway point, I was unusually aware of this, and the words € ¢â’ ’¼â’ ’¼Always half a tank of gas no matter what.€ ¢â’ ’½ came strongly into my mind.Then I checked whether I had enough

cash to get a decent amount of gasoline, knowing that if I didn€ ¢â’ ’¹t have the cash on hand, I wouldn€ ¢â’ ’¹t this time use this as an excuse not to stop and attend to the matter. As it happened, I did have enough cash in my purse and so I did get the gasoline at the next service station, following the steps of the first part of the movie € ¢â’ ’³â’ ’³ the film strip of me getting the gasoline ahead of time. Had I not done this for any reason, however, I would have followed the steps of the final part of the movie which showed me following the attendant into the service station and watching my credit card be processed.Ever since the time I did that tapping my awareness of this problem and my way of handling it has been different. I have made good resolutions about future behavior before, but it was quite different this time when I had tapped on my positive movie of the future.

My desired future was made remarkably real by this tapping.To recap, here are the steps to follow if you want to use this technique:1. Identify what it is you did that you would not like to do again. If possible, figure out what your reasoning was behind doing it. 2. Construct a mental € ¢â’ ’¼movie€ ¢â’ ’½ in your mind showing exactly how you would like to behave in a similar situation in the future.3. Run this movie in your mind as you € ¢â’ ’¼tap in€ ¢â’ ’½ your positive statements that describe the behavior you want to have. Use short positive statements, they might be considered the € ¢â’ ’¼title€ ¢â’ ’½ of your movie.4. Observe what happens during the next few days and weeks with regard to the issue you tapped on. You are likely to see a permanent change in your behavior when you confront similar situations, and this change

will be instituted without any self recrimination.Once again, you are changing your energy system so that your vibrational level becomes positive and life enhancing.Pat Carrington _____ Part 5: Using the "Future Thanks" Method to Create What You Want"The Secret", and other ways of using the Law of Attraction, emphasize the fact that you must clearly visualize (or at least conceptualize) your desired goals as though they were occurring in the present moment, in order to achieve them. The phrase "in the present moment" is the key factor here. These goals must not be seen separate from you, as something you wanted, but be experienced as something that already. However, creating the future as though it were the present is not something that comes easily or naturally to many people. Using EFT for this purpose can therefore be an excellent move.One way of doing this, which I will

describe in today€ ¢â’ ’¹s article, was suggested to me by the experience of an EFT user who was a former client of mine. "Pete" was one of the most successful manifestors (if there is such a word) that I have ever come across.I reported his experiences several years ago in this newsletter, but I€ ¢â’ ’¹ll summarize his story here to emphasize a possible reason for his success that I just recently realized. Pete was an experienced EFT'er who was accustomed to using the EFT Choices Method. However, he employed it in a very special way which I now think was an important factor in the success of his tapping to create what he wanted. Instead of saying the phrase "I choose" to introduce the positive portion of his EFT statements, as is customarily done in the Choices Method, he would say, "I thank the Universe for...€ ¢â’ ’½ and follow this with a detailed description of his desired

outcome.By using what I call his "Future Thanks" method, he was suggesting to both his conscious and unconscious minds that he was already in the future. Because it is not possible to say € ¢â’ ’¸thank you€ ¢â’ ’¹ for something that has not yet occurred without shaking up one's perception of time, in a sense this moved him into a state which was quite outside ordinary experience. Moving outside of our present concept of time obviously places us in a different position relative to creating what we want in our lives. We are, in a sense, accessing a different Reality when we do that.Obviously, the act of expressing gratitude is also powerful in its effects and we should include this in the equation. I have written the use of gratitude in previous articles, but I want to call your attention to the fact that when you indicate gratitude for something that has not yet occurred, you are asking

yourself to bypass the ordinary laws of time . You are therefore jarring yourself out of your usual ways of thinking. This is similar to the tactics used by a Zen monk who poses a Koan (paradoxical question) to a pupil, such as "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" Because the question cannot be answered by ordinary logic, it requires the pupil to shift gears mentally, and that is its value.Here is what Pete did.His automobile had seen better days and was about to break down and become unrepairable. He badly wanted a new car but did not see how he could possibly afford the model that he wanted. He had searched the Internet for several months, visiting such sites as autotrader.com every day, but had not found even a trace of the car that he desired.Pete's taste was very definite and you will notice the specific manner in which he referred to what he desired in the Choices portion of the EFT

statement which he created for this problem. Craig has repeatedly emphasized the importance of specificity in the negative portion of the EFT statement. I believe that specificity in the positive portion can be equally important. Pete's EFT statement went as follows:"Even though I don't know how this will happen, I thank the Universe for giving me a light blue model 240 Volvo station wagon built between the years of € ¢â’ ’¸91 and € ¢â’ ’¸93."You can't be much more specific than that! Pete diligently tapped on this EFT statement for over two weeks, at the end of which time an interesting thing happened. The car he wanted suddenly appeared in the online listings. The ad he saw offered a light blue Model 240 Volvo station wagon manufactured in 1992. It had all the amenities Pete wanted, and the seller was only a two hour drive from Pete's home. The car would be feasible to buy

€ ¢â’ ’³â’ ’³ if he only had the money.How to pay for the car was the question Pete faced because he knew that no financial institution would agree to finance such an old car. However, he had been managing a property for a bank manager who had been very pleased with his work, and when Pete asked him about a car loan this man arranged for his bank to finance the car at the lowest possible interest rate, for two years. Pete took advantage of this welcome opportunity, purchased the car, and he was enjoying it greatly when he last contacted me several years ago.Interestingly, this was not the only external manifestation that Pete brought about through using EFT and the "Future Thanks€ ¢â’ ’½ method, however. When his old lawnmower broke down and he could not afford a new one, based on his success in finding the right car using EFT, he decided to use EFT to manifest a new lawnmower for

himself and created the following statement for this purpose:"Even though I don't have a useable lawnmower, I thank the Universe for giving me one that just fits my purpose and works excellently."Within a week of starting to tap daily for this new lawnmower, he was driving past a neighbor's house when he saw a lawnmower sitting with their trash by the curb. It looked in surprisingly good shape. He picked it up, brought it home, inserted a part that was apparently needed to generate sparks, and found that this did the trick. He now had a new lawnmower, at no cost.He hoped that this lawnmower would continue to work in the future but in the back of his mind he thought it would not be a bad idea to have another lawnmower just as a backup. So, he continued to use his EFT "Future Thanks" statement for a lawnmower, and a few weeks later, when his newest lawnmower showed some carburetor troubles, he was once

again driving around in his neighborhood when he saw a man cleaning out his shop, apparently in preparation for moving, and not one but three lawnmowers had been discarded at the curb. Pete managed to get all three back to his house and one of them started up right away, excellently (the others he discarded after removing some of the parts). He adopted the working one and was still using it when I last spoke with him.Pete's story did not end here however, and the other portion of it is equally important to note if you are planning to use EFT to help bring about those things which you desire.About a year later, Pete became concerned about a pending career change which would have involved a life style change about which he had much hesitancy. He wanted to tap to create an excellent job offer in a particular field but had conflicting feelings about getting it since it would involve moving to another town which

might cause problems for his present important relationship. This is what Craig has so aptly termed a € ¢â’ ’¼tail ender€ ¢â’ ’½, an inner conflict that creates an opposing voice in our minds which contradicts our avowed intentions (for a detailed description of Craig€ ¢â’ ’¹s important concept of tail enders, see his The Palace of Possibilities DVD). Because of his internal conflict about his goal, this time Pete had difficulty formulating his EFT statement, and not surprisingly no positive results were forthcoming from it no matter how many times he used it with his Future Thanks method. His tail enders needed to be worked on first, something which he did not pursue as far as I know.Pete€ ¢â’ ’¹s experience suggests that EFT can help a person create exactly what they want provided they have a clear and unequivocal desire for that thing, with no conflicts about

it or reservations. I would guess, however, that in the majority of cases when someone sets out to use EFT to bring a good thing into their lives, that they may have some reservations or conflicts around the receiving of that good, and they should address these first by using EFT. Once having cleared the blocks to receiving, these same people may then be able to use EFT for successful manifestation. If you want to use EFT for this purpose, using the Future Thanks method should help you project your consciousness into the future in a highly effective way, thereby increasing the possibility that you will achieve your desired goal.In the next article in this series I will tell you about another way of projecting yourself into a future consciousness when doing EFT which involves an even more radical departure from our usual ways of thinking it is a method of posing certain carefully constructed questions to

yourself in EFT. You will discover how it works.Pat CarringtonThe one who looks outside, dreams; but those who look inside, awaken. - Carl Gustav Jung"One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered." - J. Fox

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.