RemedySpot.com

Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

,Thanks again for the informative response.  Because the religious/ non-religious issue doesn't apply to NFP and FA, what would you say the differences are?  Is it only a difference in name?

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Hanna Klaus <hannaklaus@...> wrote:

Beyond what Fehring has written,   NFP instruction programs which are sponsored by the Catholic Church will include not only what has already been well described,  but speak about the Sacrament of Matrimony and the religious implications of the marital relationship.  You can go online and find the Catechism of the Catholic Church,  then go to Marriage…  you’ll find lots.

Hanna Klaus 

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:48 PM Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

:

I was thinking about your questions this morning – while biking (pedal not Harley) to work. NFP is essentially the ability to track and estimate the fertile

phase of the menstrual cycle by use of natural indictors of fertility (i.e., temp, mucus, urinary hormones). With the information as to when the fertile phase occurs the woman and her partner (i.e., spouse) can then decide to use that information to either

achieve or avoid pregnancy. NFP states that to avoid – the couple does not use barriers or withdrawal during the fertile phase – but instead abstain from intercourse.

Monitoring fertility and abstaining does not make NFP Catholic – but it does follow Catholic beliefs – but also natural law and personalistic philosophy –

and I would say the Green movement type beliefs – e.g., not putting artificial hormones/steriods into one’s body, the water system, and/or polluting the world with latex.

FA also involves monitoring fertility – but, for some, also includes (the choice) to use condoms or other barriers or withdrawal during the fertile phase –

but that choice again has a consequence of not being honest with the language of the body of giving totally of oneself to one another. It also separates fertility from sexuality – which is not integrative or as nature intended/designed.

Catholics and others who provide NFP services do not force couples not to use condoms or withdrawal – and I suspect plenty of their couple/clients/patients

do use those means even if taught by Catholic systems. However, NFP teachers (whether Catholic or not) do let couples know that use of NFP (including periodic abstinence) is enriching of the human person, the marital relationship, and is integrative and healthy.

Hopefully NFP teachers are always inviting in the proper use of NFP and not condemning.

FA with the choice to use condoms or withdrawal or other barriers – is based on a belief and value system that has a false sense of freedom, i.e., that as adults

we can do anything we wish as long as we do not hurt others --or a belief in “it is our bodies and we have the freedom to use our bodies as we see fit.” To me that is a value system that is void of a strong ethical/moral base and one that blows with the

winds of relativism, i.e., no ethical boundaries other than – I am really not sure. I suspect that those who provide FA from that value system also feel that they are being open minded, non-judgmental, and liberal/progressive thinkers. But if you think about

it – FA guided condom use – is somewhat distrustful of the body and places trust in the latex condom – and does nothing to help the couple develop self-mastery.

There really is a wide anthropological difference/chasm between use of NFP and use of FA guided barrier use.

I wish you well with your assignment and discernment.

On Behalf Of Hartman

Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 1:11 PM

Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Thanks again for the informative response. Because the religious/ non-religious issue doesn't apply to NFP and FA, what would you say the differences are? Is it only a difference in name?

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Hanna Klaus <hannaklaus@...> wrote:

Beyond what Fehring has written, NFP instruction programs which are sponsored by the Catholic Church will include not only

what has already been well described, but speak about the Sacrament of Matrimony and the religious implications of the marital relationship. You can go online and find the Catechism of the Catholic Church, then go to Marriage… you’ll find lots.

Hanna Klaus

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of akayh421

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:48 PM

Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge?

Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce

the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy.

I think the biggest

difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting

on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

Dear a,

May i use your response to for a project I am currently involved in? I think it is just great. And, it is also fitting to add the Great's thoughts on Periodic Continence and NFP:

"Periodic continence as a method of regulating conception...not only...preserves the "naturalness" of intercourse, but...must be grounded in...virtue...The love of man and woman loses nothing as a result of temporary abstention..but on the contrary gains: the personal union takes deeper root, grounded as it is...in affirmation of the value of the person and not...in sexual attachment." (Love & Responsibility)

and also:

"When a man and a woman who have marital intercourse decisively preclude the possibility of paternity and maternity, their intentions are thereby diverted from the person and directed to mere enjoyment: "the person as co-creator of love" disappears and there remains only the "partner in an erotic experience" (p.234, Love & Responsibility)

Dr. Peck, MD, CCD, ABFM, Marquette NFP Instructor

Pecks Family Practice, PLC

1688 W Granada Blvd, Ste 2A

Ormond Beach, FL 32174

(386) 677-2018 fax: (386) 676-0737 cell: (386) 212-9777

From: NFP Lethbridge <nfplethbridge@...> Sent: Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:16 AMSubject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception)

and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience.

Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple

that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Guest guest

Certainly.a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: rbamer2@...Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:27:13 -0700Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Dear a,

May i use your response to for a project I am currently involved in? I think it is just great. And, it is also fitting to add the Great's thoughts on Periodic Continence and NFP:

"Periodic continence as a method of regulating conception...not only...preserves the "naturalness" of intercourse, but...must be grounded in...virtue...The love of man and woman loses nothing as a result of temporary abstention..but on the contrary gains: the personal union takes deeper root, grounded as it is...in affirmation of the value of the person and not...in sexual attachment." (Love & Responsibility)

and also:

"When a man and a woman who have marital intercourse decisively preclude the possibility of paternity and maternity, their intentions are thereby diverted from the person and directed to mere enjoyment: "the person as co-creator of love" disappears and there remains only the "partner in an erotic experience" (p.234, Love & Responsibility)

Ormond Beach, FL 32174

From: NFP Lethbridge <nfplethbridge@...> Sent: Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:16 AMSubject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception)

and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience.

Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple

that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Guest guest

Thank you a and for your responses as well!  I appreciate the both your perspectives and thoughts.Does anyone know of any online resources or books that speak of NFP in non-Catholic terms?  

Thanks!On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM, a V <nfplethbridge@...> wrote:

Certainly.a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

From: rbamer2@...Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:27:13 -0700Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Dear a,

" Periodic continence as a method of regulating conception...not only...preserves the " naturalness " of intercourse, but...must be grounded in...virtue...The love of man and woman loses nothing as a result of temporary abstention..but on the contrary gains: the personal union takes deeper root, grounded as it is...in affirmation of the value of the person and not...in sexual attachment. " (Love & Responsibility)

and also:

" When a man and a woman who have marital intercourse decisively preclude the possibility of paternity and maternity, their intentions are thereby diverted from the person and directed to mere enjoyment: " the person as co-creator of love " disappears and there remains only the " partner in an erotic experience " (p.234, Love & Responsibility)

Ormond Beach, FL  32174

(386) 677-2018  fax: (386) 676-0737 cell: (386) 212-9777

Sent: Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:16 AM

Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar.  They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy.   The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary.   Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method.   On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception.  Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception.  Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy.

I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception)

and it's effect on the relationship.  Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods.   Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice.  Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc.   Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well.   They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special.   If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship.  Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other.  They grow in self mastery and patience. 

Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family.   Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy.  All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting!  They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement.  They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it.  Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person.  Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility).  

A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple

that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa.  So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility.  The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge.

a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

Guest guest

There are many posts that go to this discussion, however, I would like to propose that those of us who support NFP in its true sense use the word “postpone” rather than “avoid” to refer to those times when a couple discern to temporarily postponing their family. The word connotes the “temporary” status of that discernment while maintaining the lifestyle of being open to life. Avoid suggests another intent and, I believe, disavows the meaning of NFP. Not a big point, just one of my pet nuances!Les Ruppersberger From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

Dear Les,While i certainly agree with you whole-heartedly, i just wanted to point out that there are certain "definitions" of NFP which have been long established which use the tems "avoid" in these very defintions. I point to Theresa Notare (Assistant Director of the Diocesan Development Program for NFP, Secretariat for ProLife Activities of the USCCB): "...NFP is an umbrella term for certain methods used to achieve and avoid pregnancy. These methods are based on observation of the naturally occurring signs and symptoms of the fertile and infertile phases of a woman's menstrual cycle." And the WHO defined NFP in 1988: "Methods of NFP are based on observations of naturally occurring signs and symptoms of the fertile and

infertile phases of the menstrual cycle. Awareness of the fertile phase can allow a couple to time intercourse, either to avoid or achieve pregnancy..." And in 1972 the National Insittute of Child Health and Human developjment (under the NIH) along with Dr Urrichio and defined NFP as:"...NFP methods are means by which a couple uses the daily observations of signs and symptoms of the fertile and infertile phases of the menstrual cycle to guide the timing of intercourse according to their desire to achieve or avoid pregnancy" It is also interesting that many of these defintions emphasized that abstinence is a part of the method, hence the term periodic abstinence. Finally, I would end with a quote from Dr.

Uricchio, who was a Professor and Chairman of the Dep of Biology at Carlow College in Pittsburgh, PA and the past President of a group called the International Federation for Family Life Promotion (IFFLP) who was involved with promoting NFP worldwide. In his monograph on NFP, Dr. Urricchio stated that NFP is "more than a technique of fertility control...methods of NFP also involve the challenging task of education in which conjugal love is intimately linked with openness to life". (Module I, Introduction of NFP, Marquette Online Course for Medical Professionals (HEAL) Course) Dr. Peck, MD, CCD, ABFM, Marquette NFP InstructorPecks Family Practice, PLC1688 W

Granada Blvd, Ste 2AOrmond Beach, FL 32174(386) 677-2018 fax: (386) 676-0737 cell: (386) 212-9777 From: Les Ruppersberger <lruppersberger@...> Sent: Sunday, May 6, 2012 4:31 PM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

There are many posts that go to this discussion, however, I would like to propose that those of us who support NFP in its true sense use the word “postpone†rather than “avoid†to refer to those times when a couple discern to temporarily postponing their family. The word connotes the “temporary†status of that discernment while maintaining the lifestyle of being open to life. Avoid suggests another intent and, I believe, disavows the meaning of NFP. Not a big point, just one of my pet nuances!Les Ruppersberger From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid

pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics

are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations

tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of

those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

Thanks Completely understand your reply and your references; I do see those definitions and papers and, maybe I am nitpicking, but I think language is important and there is a subtle difference between avoid and postpone and I personally prefer that latter; I certainly don’t expect the entire NFP world to change all their language, I was just respectfully expressing my personal opinion and I use that language when I teach clients.  RespectullyLes From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of BameSent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:05 PM Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods Dear Les,While i certainly agree with you whole-heartedly, i just wanted to point out that there are certain " definitions " of NFP which have been long established which use the tems " avoid " in these very defintions. I point to Theresa Notare (Assistant Director of the Diocesan Development Program for NFP, Secretariat for ProLife Activities of the USCCB): " ...NFP is an umbrella term for certain methods used to achieve and avoid pregnancy. These methods are based on observation of the naturally occurring signs and symptoms of the fertile and infertile phases of a woman's menstrual cycle. " And the WHO defined NFP in 1988: " Methods of NFP are based on observations of naturally occurring signs and symptoms of the fertile and infertile phases of the menstrual cycle. Awareness of the fertile phase can allow a couple to time intercourse, either to avoid or achieve pregnancy... " And in 1972 the National Insittute of Child Health and Human developjment (under the NIH) along with Dr Urrichio and defined NFP as: " ...NFP methods are means by which a couple uses the daily observations of signs and symptoms of the fertile and infertile phases of the menstrual cycle to guide the timing of intercourse according to their desire to achieve or avoid pregnancy " It is also interesting that many of these defintions emphasized that abstinence is a part of the method, hence the term periodic abstinence. Finally, I would end with a quote from Dr. Uricchio, who was a Professor and Chairman of the Dep of Biology at Carlow College in Pittsburgh, PA and the past President of a group called the International Federation for Family Life Promotion (IFFLP) who was involved with promoting NFP worldwide. In his monograph on NFP, Dr. Urricchio stated that NFP is " more than a technique of fertility control...methods of NFP also involve the challenging task of education in which conjugal love is intimately linked with openness to life " . (Module I, Introduction of NFP, Marquette Online Course for Medical Professionals (HEAL) Course) Dr. Peck, MD, CCD, ABFM, Marquette NFP InstructorPecks Family Practice, PLC1688 W Granada Blvd, Ste 2AOrmond Beach, FL 32174(386) 677-2018 fax: (386) 676-0737 cell: (386) 212-9777 From: Les Ruppersberger <lruppersberger@...> Sent: Sunday, May 6, 2012 4:31 PMSubject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods There are many posts that go to this discussion, however, I would like to propose that those of us who support NFP in its true sense use the word “postpone†rather than “avoid†to refer to those times when a couple discern to temporarily postponing their family. The word connotes the “temporary†status of that discernment while maintaining the lifestyle of being open to life. Avoid suggests another intent and, I believe, disavows the meaning of NFP. Not a big point, just one of my pet nuances!Les Ruppersberger From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

Les,It is a " big point " which I and the Catholic Church affirm.Fr. Tom BartolomeoOn Sun, May 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Les Ruppersberger <lruppersberger@...> wrote:

There are many posts that go to this discussion, however, I would like to propose that those of us who support NFP in its true sense use the word “postpone” rather than “avoid” to refer to those times when a couple discern to temporarily postponing their family.  The word connotes the “temporary” status of that discernment  while maintaining the lifestyle of being open to life.  Avoid suggests another intent and, I believe, disavows  the meaning of NFP.  Not a big point, just one of my pet nuances!

Les Ruppersberger 

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar.  They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy.   The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary.   Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method.   On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception.  Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception.  Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy.

I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship.  Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods.   Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice.  Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc.   Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well.   They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special.   If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship.  Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other.  They grow in self mastery and patience.  Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family.   Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy.  All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting!  They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement.  They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it.  Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person.  Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility).  

A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa.  So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility.  The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge.

a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

Guest guest

I'll second that.

NFP is available to postpone conception for serious reason. This implies that the reason is unwelcome such that the couple is naturally striving to diminish or eliminate it, because the reason is a cause for hardship/difficulty/stress/unhappiness, or whatever, and not just (or even primarily) because they want another child.

I'm a little sorry to be sounding like a broken record, BUT the message that a child--a new human life with an eternal soul--is THE SUPREME GIFT from an all-loving God does not always appear to me to resonate with NFP users and advocates. That understanding or philosophy is culturally unpopular, so it's acceptance/embrace has to be argued from reason, for most people, I think.

Blessings.

Steve Koob

From: tom.bartolomeo@...Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 23:02:32 -0400Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Les,

It is a "big point" which I and the Catholic Church affirm.

Fr. Tom Bartolomeo

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Les Ruppersberger <lruppersberger@...> wrote:

There are many posts that go to this discussion, however, I would like to propose that those of us who support NFP in its true sense use the word “postpone” rather than “avoid” to refer to those times when a couple discern to temporarily postponing their family. The word connotes the “temporary” status of that discernment while maintaining the lifestyle of being open to life. Avoid suggests another intent and, I believe, disavows the meaning of NFP. Not a big point, just one of my pet nuances!

Les Ruppersberger

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

Guest guest

With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of "obligatory sex". As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly. As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex. On

the flipside, with FAM the couple is taking on the additional risk of contraceptive failure at the height of their fertility.Elaine Mills

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic

abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in

self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have

the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

Guest guest

why are we discussing barrier methods on this list as any kind of viable option? Some cars may run a few miles on molasses, but it definitely is contrary to the car's operation isn't it. Then why discuss barriers as if it's only a question of how one can disrupt fertility and still enjoy sexuality? They are not, in fact, enjoying sexuality, in the classic sense; they rather are making a drug out of it.

Can we not do better than this on this group?

Sincerely yours,

Dominic M. Pedulla MD, FACC, CNFPMC, ABVM, ACPh

Interventional Cardiologist, Endovascular Diplomate, Varicose Vein Specialist, Noncontraceptive Family Planning Consultant, Family Planning Researcher

Medical Director, The Oklahoma Vein and Endovascular Center (www.noveinok.com, veininfo@...)

Executive Director, The Edith Stein Foundation (www.theedithsteinfoundation.com)

405-947-2228 (office)

405-834-7506 (cell)

405-947-2307 (FAX)

pedullad@...

"...the priestly ministry is not just a pastoral service; it ensures the continuity of the functions entrusted by Christ to the Apostles and the continuity of the powers related to those functions. Adaptation to civilizations and times therefore cannot abolish, on essential points, the sacramental reference to constitutive events of Christianity and to Christ himself." (Inter Insignores)

Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Guest guest

Many  women find the interest in intercourse is highest premenstrually,  at a time when estrogen and progesterone are low, and do not overshadow free testosterone,  which is related to lobido.  Not every woman finds the time of the slippery mucus the  time when she is most interested in sex. Hanna Klaus.M.D. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of elaine millsSent: Monday, May 07, 2012 10:06 AM Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of " obligatory sex " . As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly. As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex. On the flipside, with FAM the couple is taking on the additional risk of contraceptive failure at the height of their fertility.Elaine Mills From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

I think in this case it is helpful to look at the biological reality: the most natural thing in the world is to use the day of highest desire which, oddly enough, coincides with the time of highest fertility. Up until the twentieth century, that would have meant a high probability of nine months of pregnancy followed by a lengthy amenorreic period while the mother lactated. Once reliable barrier contraceptives became available, those high libido days could recur much more frequently than they had for our ancestors. Getting to use those days without getting pregnant is a 20th century development. It quickly became a cultural norm but it is by no means the natural order of things. I am sympathetic to the plight of those women who have low libido outside the time of ovulation, but what they want is something that no one had until very recently in human history. We have become very conditioned to the idea that it is our right to have access to that time without consequences. On the other hand, the situation of only being willing to engage in relations only one time per month is likely to cause problems for the couple eventually. It might behove the medical community to consider the value of helping women with low libido, though it also might be a good idea of everyone to consider what "low libido" really means: the definition seems to vary a great deal depending on who you are talking to. It may be that counseling (first question: is there a history of sexual abuse?) or medical advice is needed for the couple, It is certainly a moment when an NFP teacher should refer to the couple back to their physician. Lee Ann DoerflingerSTM teacher for the Archdiocese of Washington From: millselaine@...Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:05:46 -0700Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of "obligatory sex". As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly. As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex. On

the flipside, with FAM the couple is taking on the additional risk of contraceptive failure at the height of their fertility.Elaine Mills

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic

abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in

self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have

the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

Guest guest

Though the Billings's themselves were Catholic, I don't believe any of the materials on the actual method include theology. The philosophy of the Billings Ovulation Method is that every woman is entitled to the knowledge of her fertility, so religion is not a part of the instruction in this method.This is the most current edition of the book:http://www.penguin.com.au/products/9781876026455/billings-method-using-body-s-natural-signal-fertility-achieve-or-avoid-pregnaThere is also plenty of information on the local and international websites.http://www.boma-usa.orghttp://www.thebillingsovulationmethod.org/a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 14:46:59 -0400Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Thank you a and for your responses as well! I appreciate the both your perspectives and thoughts.Does anyone know of any online resources or books that speak of NFP in non-Catholic terms?

Thanks!On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM, a V <nfplethbridge@...> wrote:

Certainly.a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

From: rbamer2@...Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:27:13 -0700Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

Dear a,

and also:

Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Sent: Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:16 AM

, Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy.

I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception)

Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility).

A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple

that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge.

Guest guest

Elaine,I wouldn't say that the marital act outside the fertile window isn't enjoyable - it just takes a bit more time to get ramped up, but the addition of lubrication (we like astroglide) does help greatly. It does take some mental exercise to get over the fact that I'm not initially in the mood...but I think if the couple implements SPICE and include plenty of foreplay, they will find that it can help with the mood. Of course, it is difficult to abstain during my fertile window/phase 2 of my cycle, but it's a cross we face together. I'm going to be 32 this June, so I'd consider myself to be a " typical " example of an NFP practicing couple. We were also a contracepting couple at the beginning of our marriage, when we went off it took a few months for us to get pregnant. When I was pregnant and my grandfather died, it triggered my reversion back to the Church and embrace all its teachings. We took a CCL class when I was 8 months pregnant. With our second baby, we got pregnant right away because I knew my body. :) I do think that  FAM (different from FA - fertility appreciation - all women - married, celibate, single, etc.) does take a big risk using contraception during the most fertile time of the cycle - for just some pleasure that quickly fades - and it does nothing for the couple in their self-mastery, or respect for their partner. 

- On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM, elaine mills <millselaine@...> wrote:

With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of " obligatory sex " . As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly.

As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex.

On

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic

abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship.  Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods.   Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice.  Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc.   Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well.   They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special.   If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship.  Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other.  They grow in

self mastery and patience.  Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family.   Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy.  All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting!  They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement.  They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it.  Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person.  Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility).  

A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have

the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa.  So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility.  The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge.

Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods 

Guest guest

It’s best not to generalize. Remember, the brain is still the most powerful sex organ.Hanna Klaus, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of & Dan O'C.Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 4:07 PM Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods Elaine,I wouldn't say that the marital act outside the fertile window isn't enjoyable - it just takes a bit more time to get ramped up, but the addition of lubrication (we like astroglide) does help greatly. It does take some mental exercise to get over the fact that I'm not initially in the mood...but I think if the couple implements SPICE and include plenty of foreplay, they will find that it can help with the mood. Of course, it is difficult to abstain during my fertile window/phase 2 of my cycle, but it's a cross we face together. I'm going to be 32 this June, so I'd consider myself to be a " typical " example of an NFP practicing couple. We were also a contracepting couple at the beginning of our marriage, when we went off it took a few months for us to get pregnant. When I was pregnant and my grandfather died, it triggered my reversion back to the Church and embrace all its teachings. We took a CCL class when I was 8 months pregnant. With our second baby, we got pregnant right away because I knew my body. :) I do think that FAM (different from FA - fertility appreciation - all women - married, celibate, single, etc.) does take a big risk using contraception during the most fertile time of the cycle - for just some pleasure that quickly fades - and it does nothing for the couple in their self-mastery, or respect for their partner. - On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM, elaine mills <millselaine@...> wrote: With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of " obligatory sex " . As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly. As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex. On the flipside, with FAM the couple is taking on the additional risk of contraceptive failure at the height of their fertility.Elaine Mills From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

Dear elaine, thank you for having the courage to voice this question. As a "lay" instructor does that mean you are an atheist? Even if you have no belief in God, can you not see a "design" regarding life in your work as a NFP Instructor? Why would human beings have increased arousal at the height of fertility - well for starters, to further the species. Sounds like a good plan to me. And so if we can agree that there is a design regarding human creation, then we must also acknowledge a Creator, who many of us call GOD and that this God is the designer of life. And just as cars have rules about what kind of substances to put in gas tanks, that people also have rules or natural laws applicable to how their bodies must be used to ensure maximal performance. You may think molasses is going to make that car hum, but you find out you are wrong. We may need that strong physical urge to convince us to become more open to life. We may need to learn to love our husbands more and to be open to them even when it is slightly harder to get in the mood. That openess to them may be changing us in very important ways, strengthening our marriage.Now ultimately your premise (that NFP is not fair because it deprives the woman of maximal potential self-gratifying sex) is flawed in many ways but is a dominant attitude in our secular society. Firstly, this is a contraceptive mentality that seeks to divorce the unitive and procreative ends of intercourse. But your patients' philosophy goes a step further -- you not only just want the pleasure of intercourse without the "pain" of a potential baby. You are saying to your patients that they can still be united with their spouse on nonfertile days, but even THAT is not enough -- they have to be "biologically-stimulating" days to suit your design. This is the height of "using" somebody, not LOVING somebody. Even if you do not believe in God, what about cultivating virtues, such as self-mastery over instincts, patience, and true Love (which is sacrificing for the other and being gift for the other), rather than seeking maximal utilitarian gain from the other.This utilitarian philosophy also seems angry at a Creator who would design such a system. We see this same line of reasoning in homosexual unions and same sex operations -- the Creation is flawed and we must recreate it, thus making ourselves equal to God. It is the age-old apple in the Garden.Blessings, rebeccaSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: elaine mills <millselaine@...>Sender: Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:05:46 -0700 (PDT) < >Reply Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of "obligatory sex". As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly. As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex. Onthe flipside, with FAM the couple is taking on the additional risk of contraceptive failure at the height of their fertility.Elaine Mills From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodicabstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow inself mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't havethe same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

To reinforce what Dr. Hanna Klaus mentioned that the brain is the most powerful sex organ, a the turn of the 19th to the 20th century -- research studies on women's attitudes as to when their libido was the highest -- it was around the menses. At that

time many (including scientists/physicians) thought that ovulation occurred around that time -- if I can find the actual graphs from that time I will make a PDF.

Current studies show that the weekend is the most frequent time that couples have intercourse -- which indicates that the stress of daily life has a big factor on sexual activity -- i.e., the energy mentally and physically.

Furthermore, there is evidence that those who use NFP and periodic abstinence have better sex -- i.e., the honeymoon effect, keeping sex new and exciting.

Common sense dictates that condomized sex (even during the estimated fertile phase) is not very satisfying -- i.e., placing latex between two people --- and the actions to place the condom on, to make sure there is no spillage, then the proper discarding

---- that is all disrupted of the sexual act. Just read the government steps on the proper use of condoms. Then there are the studies (qualitative) of why teens and others do not like the use of condoms --- " It does not feel good " " it is not natural " ---

and these statements are not from prudish Catholics. All of these studies that I refer to can be found in my CMR reviews.

J. Fehring

Professor

Marquette University

Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 3:40 PM

Dear elaine, thank you for having the courage to voice this question.

As a " lay " instructor does that mean you are an atheist? Even if you have no belief in God, can you not see a " design " regarding life in your work as a NFP Instructor?

Why would human beings have increased arousal at the height of fertility - well for starters, to further the species. Sounds like a good plan to me. And so if we can agree that there is a design regarding human creation, then we must also acknowledge a Creator,

who many of us call GOD and that this God is the designer of life. And just as cars have rules about what kind of substances to put in gas tanks, that people also have rules or natural laws applicable to how their bodies must be used to ensure maximal performance.

You may think molasses is going to make that car hum, but you find out you are wrong. We may need that strong physical urge to convince us to become more open to life. We may need to learn to love our husbands more and to be open to them even when it is slightly

harder to get in the mood. That openess to them may be changing us in very important ways, strengthening our marriage.

Now ultimately your premise (that NFP is not fair because it deprives the woman of maximal potential self-gratifying sex) is flawed in many ways but is a dominant attitude in our secular society. Firstly, this is a contraceptive mentality that seeks to divorce

the unitive and procreative ends of intercourse. But your patients' philosophy goes a step further -- you not only just want the pleasure of intercourse without the " pain " of a potential baby. You are saying to your patients that they can still be united with

their spouse on nonfertile days, but even THAT is not enough -- they have to be " biologically-stimulating " days to suit your design. This is the height of " using " somebody, not LOVING somebody. Even if you do not believe in God, what about cultivating virtues,

such as self-mastery over instincts, patience, and true Love (which is sacrificing for the other and being gift for the other), rather than seeking maximal utilitarian gain from the other.

This utilitarian philosophy also seems angry at a Creator who would design such a system. We see this same line of reasoning in homosexual unions and same sex operations -- the Creation is flawed and we must recreate it, thus making ourselves equal to God.

It is the age-old apple in the Garden.

Blessings, rebecca

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

Sender:

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:05:46 -0700 (PDT)

< >

With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their

ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of " obligatory sex " . As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly.

As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women

that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex.

On the flipside, with FAM the couple is taking on the additional risk of contraceptive failure at the height of their fertility.

Elaine Mills

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of NFP Lethbridge

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM

Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from

method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence

on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will

reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy.

I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile

days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship,

non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special.

If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to

delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have

a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own

fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person

as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility).

A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge

(and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge.

a Van Uden, LPN

Accredited Instructor,

Billings Ovulation Method

www.facebook.com/BillingsMethod

Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000

Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods

I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they

connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

We use a program in our Marriage Prep called “Love is a Decision” and we use it precisely because, as humans, we are all created in the image and likeness of God with intellect and free will. Most people most of the time of their lives are “abstaining” and no one ever died from sexual abstinence relating to chastity and temperance. Regardless of “biological urges” which may motivate us to wish to engage in marital intimacy, we use our intellect and free will along with reason and faith to discern whether to engage or not in marital relations based on our judgments toward responsible parenthood. We need to keep all these issues in mind when we consider not just biology (which is our created nature) but also our theology of that body which JPII gave us in such a beautiful way. God bless all and let us all be kind and considerate with out posts. ThanksLes Ruppersberger, D.O. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 5:34 PM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods To reinforce what Dr. Hanna Klaus mentioned that the brain is the most powerful sex organ, a the turn of the 19th to the 20th century -- research studies on women's attitudes as to when their libido was the highest -- it was around the menses. At that time many (including scientists/physicians) thought that ovulation occurred around that time -- if I can find the actual graphs from that time I will make a PDF. Current studies show that the weekend is the most frequent time that couples have intercourse -- which indicates that the stress of daily life has a big factor on sexual activity -- i.e., the energy mentally and physically.Furthermore, there is evidence that those who use NFP and periodic abstinence have better sex -- i.e., the honeymoon effect, keeping sex new and exciting. Common sense dictates that condomized sex (even during the estimated fertile phase) is not very satisfying -- i.e., placing latex between two people --- and the actions to place the condom on, to make sure there is no spillage, then the proper discarding ---- that is all disrupted of the sexual act. Just read the government steps on the proper use of condoms. Then there are the studies (qualitative) of why teens and others do not like the use of condoms --- " It does not feel good " " it is not natural " --- and these statements are not from prudish Catholics. All of these studies that I refer to can be found in my CMR reviews. J. FehringProfessorMarquette University From: [ ] on behalf of rbamer2@... [rbamer2@...]Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 3:40 PM Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness MethodsDear elaine, thank you for having the courage to voice this question. As a " lay " instructor does that mean you are an atheist? Even if you have no belief in God, can you not see a " design " regarding life in your work as a NFP Instructor?Why would human beings have increased arousal at the height of fertility - well for starters, to further the species. Sounds like a good plan to me. And so if we can agree that there is a design regarding human creation, then we must also acknowledge a Creator, who many of us call GOD and that this God is the designer of life. And just as cars have rules about what kind of substances to put in gas tanks, that people also have rules or natural laws applicable to how their bodies must be used to ensure maximal performance. You may think molasses is going to make that car hum, but you find out you are wrong. We may need that strong physical urge to convince us to become more open to life. We may need to learn to love our husbands more and to be open to them even when it is slightly harder to get in the mood. That openess to them may be changing us in very important ways, strengthening our marriage.Now ultimately your premise (that NFP is not fair because it deprives the woman of maximal potential self-gratifying sex) is flawed in many ways but is a dominant attitude in our secular society. Firstly, this is a contraceptive mentality that seeks to divorce the unitive and procreative ends of intercourse. But your patients' philosophy goes a step further -- you not only just want the pleasure of intercourse without the " pain " of a potential baby. You are saying to your patients that they can still be united with their spouse on nonfertile days, but even THAT is not enough -- they have to be " biologically-stimulating " days to suit your design. This is the height of " using " somebody, not LOVING somebody. Even if you do not believe in God, what about cultivating virtues, such as self-mastery over instincts, patience, and true Love (which is sacrificing for the other and being gift for the other), rather than seeking maximal utilitarian gain from the other.This utilitarian philosophy also seems angry at a Creator who would design such a system. We see this same line of reasoning in homosexual unions and same sex operations -- the Creation is flawed and we must recreate it, thus making ourselves equal to God. It is the age-old apple in the Garden.Blessings, rebecca Sent via BlackBerry by AT & TFrom: elaine mills <millselaine@...> Sender: Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:05:46 -0700 (PDT) < >Reply Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods With FAM, the woman can participate in the marital act at the time that she has biological interest (ovulation). With NFP, she is limited to those times where she may be biologically not in the mood. Some women have little interest outside of their ovulatory time and they feel doomed to a lifetime of " obligatory sex " . As NFP instructors, we need to be honest about the good the bad and the ugly. As a lay NFP instructor, I have a hard time counseling women in this situation because I do feel sympathetic to their plight. Of course nothing is to stop them from participating in the marital act during ovulation.... but it does seem unfair to those women that they have two choices: potentially get pregnant & take on the physical discomfort of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc or never get to enjoy sex. On the flipside, with FAM the couple is taking on the additional risk of contraceptive failure at the height of their fertility.Elaine Mills From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

Thanks Fr. TomLes From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of gotombSent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:03 PM Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods Les,It is a " big point " which I and the Catholic Church affirm.Fr. Tom Bartolomeo On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Les Ruppersberger <lruppersberger@...> wrote: There are many posts that go to this discussion, however, I would like to propose that those of us who support NFP in its true sense use the word “postpone” rather than “avoid” to refer to those times when a couple discern to temporarily postponing their family. The word connotes the “temporary” status of that discernment while maintaining the lifestyle of being open to life. Avoid suggests another intent and, I believe, disavows the meaning of NFP. Not a big point, just one of my pet nuances!Les Ruppersberger From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of NFP LethbridgeSent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:16 AM Subject: RE: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods , Certainly, NFP and Fertility Awareness Methods are similar. They all teach a couple to identify the woman's times of fertility and infertility, so that the information may be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The way fertility is monitored varies from method to method and the rules for avoiding pregnancy vary. Effectiveness rates vary, depending on each individual method or the barrier of choice for a couple using a Fertility Awareness Method. On the very practical level of effectiveness, abstinence on fertile days eliminates the possibility of conception. Barrier contraception on fertile days will reduce the possibility of conception. Both NFP and FAM agree that waiting on days with fertile signs is the more effective way to postpone pregnancy. I think the biggest difference of all would be in the behavior (periodic abstinence versus contraception) and it's effect on the relationship. Embracing periodic abstinence as per a method of NFP is markedly different experience than contracting on fertile days as per Fertility Awareness Methods. Very different dynamics are bound to emerge within the relationships, depending on which behavior they practice. Waiting on fertile days can challenge a couple to grow in other areas of their relationship - friendship, non-sexual affection, communication, etc. Of course, growing in all those areas will naturally lead to a more satisfying sexual experience when the time comes as well. They may find that re-uniting during the infertile phase is particularly special. If they find the waiting difficult, it may challenge them to communicate about some delicate issues in their relationship. Or it may also provide them an opportunity to support each other. They grow in self mastery and patience. Waiting teaches them to delay gratification for the greater good of each other or their family. Waiting may challenge them to re-examine their reasons for avoiding pregnancy. All sorts of important conversations tend to spring up when you're waiting! They usually grow to have a deeper respect for the experience of sexual love, regarding it more as a privilege and less as an entitlement. They are less inclined to take their sexual relationship for granted or become bored with it. Both spouses take responsibility for their own fertility by making the mutual decision to wait, rather than the burden of responsibility being all on one person. Sexual expression becomes the gift of each person as they are, to the other - without resisting any part of themselves or their partner (particularly, fertility). A couple using contraceptives on fertile days won't have the same experience as a couple that embraces periodic abstinence will, and vice versa. So NFP and FAM connect on the grounds of knowledge of fertility. The behaviors practiced in response to that knowledge (and the corresponding consequences of those behaviors) is where they diverge. a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethod From: akayh421@...Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:14 +0000Subject: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods I'm working on a project that compares NFP (all the different forms) with its secular counterpart--fertility awareness. What do you think are the biggest differences? What do you see as the pros/cons of each? Where do they connect? Where do they diverge? Any ideas, opinions or comments are welcome!

Guest guest

Dear elaine, thank you for having the courage to voice this question. As a "lay" instructor does that mean you are an atheist? Even if you have no belief in God, can you not see a "design" regarding life in your work as a NFP Instructor?Oh no! By "lay" instructor I mean I am a layperson, not a medical professional- I am a volunteer for CCL. :)It is a subject that wives

bring up to me- usually their husbands are frustrated by their lack of responsiveness, etc... and they are frustrated by lack of interest during the infertile time. I don't know how to counsel them because we are faithful Catholics. I just know that it is a problem that DOES exist and the rote answers aren't always what the couples want to hear. They want compassion about this conundrum. The wife starts feeling like an object of her husband's sexual desire because she has no interest but he does... so she is charitable to his needs and feels resentful at the same time. I cannot be the only instructor that has had disgruntled couples with this issue!Elaine

Guest guest

Elaine, I'm pretty new to the teaching field, so I haven't had any couples complain *yet*. But CCL has the TOB component - the video by Fr. Polmeier?? I believe that's the new priest's name since they updated and took out Fr. Hogan's video. I have found it a bit flat - so after the video, I reiterate what he said, and so far, I haven't gotten any complaints from the couples - yet. I also encourage them to read the book " The Good News about Sex and Marriage " by West if they have never been exposed to TOB. It's a very easy to read format of q & a.  And being a military wife with a husband on deployment, I am very sympathetic to the abstinence issue! :)

- On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM, elaine mills <millselaine@...> wrote:

Dear elaine, thank you for having the courage to voice this question.

As a " lay " instructor does that mean you are an atheist? Even if you have no belief in God, can you not see a " design " regarding life in your work as a NFP Instructor?

Oh no! By " lay " instructor I mean I am a layperson, not a medical professional- I am a volunteer for CCL. :)It is a subject that wives

bring up to me- usually their husbands are frustrated by their lack of responsiveness, etc... and they are frustrated by lack of interest during the infertile time. I don't know how to counsel them because we are faithful Catholics. I just know that it is a problem that DOES exist and the rote answers aren't always what the couples want to hear. They want compassion about this conundrum. The wife starts feeling like an object of her husband's sexual desire because she has no interest but he does... so she is charitable to his needs and feels resentful at the same time.

I cannot be the only instructor that has had disgruntled couples with this issue!Elaine

Guest guest

Dear Elaine, my apologies to you (and the group) for my mistaken assumption of your faith identity. I did not mean to insult you in any way but was merely trying to find common ground on which to have a discussion. I agree that it is hard to convince the couples of how to embrace the cross that NFP can be but I think the previous comments (especially the comments by Les) are excellent. It is our challenge to hold out the hope that NFP promises: of life, strengthened marriages, acquisition of virtue and ultimately... holiness. In peace, rebecca Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: elaine mills <millselaine@...>Sender: Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 15:57:40 -0700 (PDT) < >Reply Subject: Re: Comparing NFP with Other Fertility Awareness Methods Dear elaine, thank you for having the courage to voice this question. As a "lay" instructor does that mean you are an atheist? Even if you have no belief in God, can you not see a "design" regarding life in your work as a NFP Instructor?Oh no! By "lay" instructor I mean I am a layperson, not a medical professional- I am a volunteer for CCL. :)It is a subject that wivesbring up to me- usually their husbands are frustrated by their lack of responsiveness, etc... and they are frustrated by lack of interest during the infertile time. I don't know how to counsel them because we are faithful Catholics. I just know that it is a problem that DOES exist and the rote answers aren't always what the couples want to hear. They want compassion about this conundrum. The wife starts feeling like an object of her husband's sexual desire because she has no interest but he does... so she is charitable to his needs and feels resentful at the same time. I cannot be the only instructor that has had disgruntled couples with this issue!Elaine