RemedySpot.com

Re: Cast Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

to your questions, i will base on my experience with lexi and hope it helps.

1 ) each child is different in time they will have to be casted. i know we were told by miss mehta, possibly another 18 - 22 months. it is really an individual thing that determines the amount of casting time. As far as amount of correction each time, I have never been told anything like that. as they place the child in traction to cast, i would assume they get as much correction as possible in traction, then cast to hold it there. again, that is a varying number on each child.

2 ) as far as clothing, we bought lexi's clothes about a size bigger. with a girl it is easier because you can get dresses and jumpers....etc which are easy just to place over the cast. pants are a little trouble as i have noticed the waistband wants to fall below the cast and i constantly have to pull her britches back up!! lol but i have had to buy them a size bigger to get them to come up over the cast. with some experimentation, you will find what works best for you guys.

3 ) as far as car seats, there should be no issues i wouldn't think. i haven't heard of too many problems in this area on the board. lexi is in a general graco seat i believe and it works fine and plenty of room.

4 ) i want to mention this since you didn't and in case you haven't thought about it. diapering. most of us do the same thing with a little variation. most of us buy a size smaller diaper and place maxi pads in them, tuck them up under the cast gently, you don't want to be shoving up underneath there. after the diaper is placed, some will place a pull up over that to help hold all in place. again, you will find what works best for you after experimenting. i personally take 2 thinner size maxi pades, run them the length of the diaper, let it extend about a half inch on each end, then gently tuck that in. i personally do not use a pull up as i found it didn't help us much, but everyone is different.

good luck with the casting!! it is overwhelming at first, but it gets easier. one other thing we did when lexi came home from the 1st cast was buy her a beanbag to sit in. it takes a little while to get adjusted to learning to resit and all of that. remember, they won't be so free to bend at the waist as they were precast. he will get the hang of it, but a beanbag made lexi's sitting more comfortable until she adjusted.

tracey

Cast Question

Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer the questions. They totally make sense- I wasn't sure and figured that each kid was diff as far as the time in the cast and the traction thing- I understand that they do it the best they can and straightest they can! Hadn't thought about diapering being different, I kind of visualize how you do that. I guess its harder for them to stay up w/the cast on. What do the maxi pads do? Thanks again. Tracey <pthahn@...> wrote: to your questions, i will base on my experience with lexi and hope it helps. 1 ) each child is different in time they will

have to be casted. i know we were told by miss mehta, possibly another 18 - 22 months. it is really an individual thing that determines the amount of casting time. As far as amount of correction each time, I have never been told anything like that. as they place the child in traction to cast, i would assume they get as much correction as possible in traction, then cast to hold it there. again, that is a varying number on each child. 2 ) as far as clothing, we bought lexi's clothes about a size bigger. with a girl it is easier because you can get dresses and jumpers....etc which are easy just to place over the cast. pants are a little trouble as i have noticed the waistband wants to fall below the cast and i constantly have to pull her britches back up!! lol but i have had to buy them a size bigger to get them to come up over the cast. with some experimentation, you will find what works best

for you guys. 3 ) as far as car seats, there should be no issues i wouldn't think. i haven't heard of too many problems in this area on the board. lexi is in a general graco seat i believe and it works fine and plenty of room. 4 ) i want to mention this since you didn't and in case you haven't thought about it. diapering. most of us do the same thing with a little variation. most of us buy a size smaller diaper and place maxi pads in them, tuck them up under the cast gently, you don't want to be shoving up underneath there. after the diaper is placed, some will place a pull up over that to help hold all in place. again, you will find what works best for you after experimenting. i personally take 2 thinner size maxi pades, run them the length of the diaper, let it extend about a half inch on each

end, then gently tuck that in. i personally do not use a pull up as i found it didn't help us much, but everyone is different. good luck with the casting!! it is overwhelming at first, but it gets easier. one other thing we did when lexi came home from the 1st cast was buy her a beanbag to sit in. it takes a little while to get adjusted to learning to resit and all of that. remember, they won't be so free to bend at the waist as they were precast. he will get the hang of it, but a beanbag made lexi's sitting more comfortable until she adjusted. tracey ----- Original

Message ----- From: basketsnboyds infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:41 PM Subject: Cast Question Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I

really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in

advance!Evan 8/7/05

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

the maxi pads will help absorb any extra wetness. since the diapers aren't fitting as well, and sometimes slipping from underneath the cast, you want to do whatever possible to keep the inside of that cast free of urine and other not so great things getting in there!! lol granted, a little urine will hit the edge of the cast i am sure, but when you leave erie, they will have lined the bottom of the cast with waterproof tape as well to help on this. you can always buy more and and keep it fresh if it starts to peel or loosen.

please feel free to ask any questions to us mothers who have gone through this. there were a million things i didn't think about until the cast was on and these women on here are absolutely wonderful for advice and help!!! while i am no expert, i hope i have helped you out somewhat :-)

tracey

Cast Question

Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05

PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Someone else also replied very well, just another point . . . sometimes there is no decrease in the degree of curvature in a cast but the rotation is improved. As the other person responded, the time period and results are different with each child. Shelliebasketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to

be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05

Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover Photo Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

that's actually a very good point. lexi in fact after her first cast went from 35o to 13o. in the second cast,she remained at 13o although more rotation was taken out of the spine that time. since we had the advantage of itbeing removable, we were able to see this as her shoulder blades were much more even this time which we were pleased to see. that little "hump" wasn't as pronounced. i just hope with her going into a brace in a few weeks, we can see some more improvement.

tracey

Someone else also replied very well, just another point . . . sometimes there is no decrease in the degree of curvature in a cast but the rotation is improved. As the other person responded, the time period and results are different with each child.

Shelliebasketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote:

Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcoverPhoto Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

Hi Tracey, sorry I spaced your name. I don't usually reply at night. Gotta get some sleep!!!! 13 is awesome!! Night. ShellieTracey <pthahn@...> wrote: that's actually a very good point. lexi in fact after her first cast went from 35o to 13o. in the second cast,she remained at 13o although more rotation was taken out of the spine that time. since we had the advantage of itbeing removable, we were able to see this as her shoulder blades were much more even this time which we were pleased to see. that little "hump" wasn't as pronounced. i just hope with her going into a brace in a few weeks, we can see some more improvement.

tracey Re: Cast Question Someone else also replied very well, just another point . . . sometimes there is no decrease in the degree of curvature in a cast but the rotation is improved. As the other

person responded, the time period and results are different with each child. Shelliebasketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to

bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05 Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcoverPhoto Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- The length of being in a cast is usually equal to the age of when they were put in the cast. Ian was 15 months, so they are guessing he'll be in the cast 12 to 15 months. As far as the amount of degrees they get them down to, it varies for each kiddo. Ian went from 43 to 7 degrees, BUT his curve is extremely flexible. I know some kiddos went from the 40's to the 20's in their first cast. Dr. Khoury also told me that they learned at the conference in November to try to not be as aggressive in getting them too straight too early because it can actually cause the curve to stiffen which is not good. He then told me that they barely had to manipulate Ian's curve to get the 7 degrees and he didn't want me to think they had been too aggressive.

2. Clothing- I actually didn't have to go up a size because I mostly have him in Gymboree clothes and they run bigger than other brands. BUT, I found that one piece outfits or overalls work best. Pants with elastic waist bands slip off when he bends over. I have started putting him in onesies for those outfits and that helps keep the pants up. But,your little guy is so small that you probably won't have those issues for now.

3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? If he is in an infant carrier, you might want to move up to a convertible seat before you go to Erie. It depends on how much room he still has if he is in the carrier. If you have a ton of room still, he may be okay. But, if he is getting close to the height and/or weight limit, I would go ahead and switch seats now. Ian is in a Britax Roundabout and it fits fine with his cast.

Noelle (12-2-01)Ian (8-15-04)

Cast Question

That helps out a bunch-Thanks so much for the ideas. He is close to growing out of his carrier car seat- he is 17lbs! We may go ahead and do the carseat switch- the only thing I dread is having to wake him up to put him in a stroller or something when I get him out of the carseat-It's easy (except to carry!) just keeping him in the carrier. The question about the casts helped out a lot- It would be awesome if he only needed to be in one for 5mos! Claflin <noellesmommy@...> wrote: 1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- The length of being in a cast is usually equal to the age of when they were put in the cast. Ian was 15

months, so they are guessing he'll be in the cast 12 to 15 months. As far as the amount of degrees they get them down to, it varies for each kiddo. Ian went from 43 to 7 degrees, BUT his curve is extremely flexible. I know some kiddos went from the 40's to the 20's in their first cast. Dr. Khoury also told me that they learned at the conference in November to try to not be as aggressive in getting them too straight too early because it can actually cause the curve to stiffen which is not good. He then told me that they barely had to manipulate Ian's curve to get the 7 degrees and he didn't want me to think they had been too aggressive. 2. Clothing- I actually didn't have to go up a size because I mostly have him in Gymboree clothes and they run bigger than other brands. BUT, I found that one piece outfits or overalls

work best. Pants with elastic waist bands slip off when he bends over. I have started putting him in onesies for those outfits and that helps keep the pants up. But,your little guy is so small that you probably won't have those issues for now. 3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? If he is in an infant carrier, you might want to move up to a convertible seat before you go to Erie. It depends on how much room he still has if he is in the carrier. If you have a ton of room still, he may be okay. But, if he is getting close to the height and/or weight limit, I would go ahead and switch seats now. Ian is in a Britax Roundabout and it fits fine with his cast. Noelle (12-2-01)Ian (8-15-04) Cast Question Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to

cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true

blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05

Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

- My daughter Evanlee was casted when she was 4 months old, afterward she did go up one size on tops but pants stayed the same. Diapers we dropped down a size. The way the first cast was down around her thighs she was not able to sit properly in her infant seat because the leg part raises upward, but our hospital got us a special carseat on loan from Easter Seals. Now in her second cast they were able to cut away enough for her to raise her legs enough and she can now sit back in her infant seat. You may just want to bring your seat into the hospital and check him carefully before deciding what to do. I know we tried rolling a blanket and putting under her tush to try and lift her enough so her legs would be straight and not slanted but then with the cast on the straps were too tight and her circulation still cut off on her legs after a few minutes. Just make sure when you try him in his seat you let him sit a few minutes to

make sure the cast doesn't cut off his circulation. We are going at the end of this month to have her 3rd cast applied and then she will be going in a brace (hopefully) for Spring and Summer. She was originally at 35 degrees and he corrected her 75% in her first cast and now with the second cast she is 100%. I just pray that she doesn't go back too much when she goes in the brace, but I am sooooo looking forward to putting her in a bath. Good luck to you and Evan (really love the name by the way), our prayers are with you. , mom of Evanlee & is (7 mos.)basketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting

him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did

decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05Jim and Abercrombie

Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Thanks alot- We were thinking of going up to the next size carseat-the infant/toddler seat esp. since he is so big- he's 17lbs already and I figured that It'd be more comfortable and roomy than the infant carseat we have now. I think diapers are going to be hard to deal w/from what it sounds like- I hadn't even tought about diapering being a problem! It sounds like you've had awesome luck in your casts and not too much time in them-That is great. I hope that Evan won't have a lot of time in a cast either! I appreciate all the info- I'll be back in touch with you since it sounds liike we have similar situations. I can appreciate all the prayers- that's whats getting us through! Evan 8/7/05 P.s- I love the name Evanlee- I looked at that name first when I started looking through the pic section on the board! Jim & Abercrombie <dalerocks08@...> wrote: - My daughter Evanlee was casted when she was 4 months old, afterward she did go up one size on tops but pants stayed the same. Diapers we dropped down a size. The way the first cast was down around her thighs she was not able to sit properly in her infant seat because the leg part raises upward, but our hospital got us a special carseat on loan from Easter Seals. Now in her second cast they were able to cut away enough for her to raise her legs enough and she can now sit back in her infant seat. You may just want to bring your seat into the hospital and check him carefully before deciding what to do. I know we tried rolling a blanket and putting under her tush to try and lift her enough so her legs would be straight and not slanted but then with the cast on the straps were too tight and her circulation still cut off on her legs

after a few minutes. Just make sure when you try him in his seat you let him sit a few minutes to make sure the cast doesn't cut off his circulation. We are going at the end of this month to have her 3rd cast applied and then she will be going in a brace (hopefully) for Spring and Summer. She was originally at 35 degrees and he corrected her 75% in her first cast and now with the second cast she is 100%. I just pray that she doesn't go back too much when she goes in the brace, but I am sooooo looking forward to putting her in a bath. Good luck to you and Evan (really love the name by the way), our prayers are with you. , mom of Evanlee & is (7 mos.)basketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr.

on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed

we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05 Jim and Abercrombie PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover Photo Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

What carseat do you have her in now? I am looking and trying to figure out a good one-Jim & Abercrombie <dalerocks08@...> wrote: - My daughter Evanlee was casted when she was 4 months old, afterward she did go up one size on tops but pants stayed the same. Diapers we dropped down a size. The way the first cast was down around her thighs she was not able to sit properly in her infant seat because the leg part raises upward, but our hospital got us a special carseat on loan from Easter Seals. Now in her second cast they were able to cut away enough for her to raise her legs enough and she can now sit back in her infant seat. You may just want to bring your seat into the hospital and check him carefully before deciding what to do. I know we tried rolling a blanket and

putting under her tush to try and lift her enough so her legs would be straight and not slanted but then with the cast on the straps were too tight and her circulation still cut off on her legs after a few minutes. Just make sure when you try him in his seat you let him sit a few minutes to make sure the cast doesn't cut off his circulation. We are going at the end of this month to have her 3rd cast applied and then she will be going in a brace (hopefully) for Spring and Summer. She was originally at 35 degrees and he corrected her 75% in her first cast and now with the second cast she is 100%. I just pray that she doesn't go back too much when she goes in the brace, but I am sooooo looking forward to putting her in a bath. Good luck to you and Evan (really love the name by the way), our prayers are with you. , mom of Evanlee & is (7 mos.)basketsnboyds

<basketsnboyds@...> wrote: Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there

problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05 Jim and Abercrombie PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

We had a special car seat as well. If you call the hospital ahead of time and bring this up as a concern, they may have one that they can loan to you to use while he is casted. And if not you'll have to play around with the car seat because sometimes they fit into the seat, but the belts won't go around, so you may want to ask friends who might have an old one sitting around if you can try it out, because each cast is different.

E

From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:46 AMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: Cast Question

Thanks alot- We were thinking of going up to the next size carseat-the infant/toddler seat esp. since he is so big- he's 17lbs already and I figured that It'd be more comfortable and roomy than the infant carseat we have now.

I think diapers are going to be hard to deal w/from what it sounds like- I hadn't even tought about diapering being a problem!

It sounds like you've had awesome luck in your casts and not too much time in them-That is great. I hope that Evan won't have a lot of time in a cast either!

I appreciate all the info- I'll be back in touch with you since it sounds liike we have similar situations. I can appreciate all the prayers- that's whats getting us through!

Evan 8/7/05

P.s- I love the name Evanlee- I looked at that name first when I started looking through the pic section on the board! Jim & Abercrombie <dalerocks08@...> wrote:

-

My daughter Evanlee was casted when she was 4 months old, afterward she did go up one size on tops but pants stayed the same. Diapers we dropped down a size. The way the first cast was down around her thighs she was not able to sit properly in her infant seat because the leg part raises upward, but our hospital got us a special carseat on loan from Easter Seals. Now in her second cast they were able to cut away enough for her to raise her legs enough and she can now sit back in her infant seat. You may just want to bring your seat into the hospital and check him carefully before deciding what to do. I know we tried rolling a blanket and putting under her tush to try and lift her enough so her legs would be straight and not slanted but then with the cast on the straps were too tight and her circulation still cut off on her legs after a few minutes. Just make sure when you try him in his seat you let him sit a few minutes to make sure the cast doesn't cut off his circulation. We are going at the end of this month to have her 3rd cast applied and then she will be going in a brace (hopefully) for Spring and Summer. She was originally at 35 degrees and he corrected her 75% in her first cast and now with the second cast she is 100%. I just pray that she doesn't go back too much when she goes in the brace, but I am sooooo looking forward to putting her in a bath.

Good luck to you and Evan (really love the name by the way), our prayers are with you.

, mom of Evanlee & is (7 mos.)basketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote:

Jim and Abercrombie

PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcoverPhoto Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

she is in an evenflo infant seat now, Easter Seals told us to hold on to theirs in case she has problems in her next cast. I looked at the carseats she would go into next but all that I saw the leg part also is at an angle like the infant carriers. The one from Easter Seals the leg part is completely flat. <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: What carseat do you have her in now? I am looking and trying to figure out a good one-Jim & Abercrombie <dalerocks08@...> wrote: - My daughter Evanlee was casted when she was 4 months old, afterward she did go up one size on tops but pants stayed the same. Diapers we dropped down a size. The way the

first cast was down around her thighs she was not able to sit properly in her infant seat because the leg part raises upward, but our hospital got us a special carseat on loan from Easter Seals. Now in her second cast they were able to cut away enough for her to raise her legs enough and she can now sit back in her infant seat. You may just want to bring your seat into the hospital and check him carefully before deciding what to do. I know we tried rolling a blanket and putting under her tush to try and lift her enough so her legs would be straight and not slanted but then with the cast on the straps were too tight and her circulation still cut off on her legs after a few minutes. Just make sure when you try him in his seat you let him sit a few minutes to make sure the cast doesn't cut off his circulation. We are going at the end of this month to have her 3rd cast applied and then she will be going in a brace (hopefully) for Spring and Summer.

She was originally at 35 degrees and he corrected her 75% in her first cast and now with the second cast she is 100%. I just pray that she doesn't go back too much when she goes in the brace, but I am sooooo looking forward to putting her in a bath. Good luck to you and Evan (really love the name by the way), our prayers are with you. , mom of Evanlee & is (7 mos.)basketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a

few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and

infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05 Jim and Abercrombie PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP. PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP. Jim and Abercrombie

Wow, ! That just goes to show the earlier they are treated the better.

Noelle (12-2-01)Ian (8-15-04)

-

My daughter Evanlee was casted when she was 4 months old, afterward she did go up one size on tops but pants stayed the same. Diapers we dropped down a size. The way the first cast was down around her thighs she was not able to sit properly in her infant seat because the leg part raises upward, but our hospital got us a special carseat on loan from Easter Seals. Now in her second cast they were able to cut away enough for her to raise her legs enough and she can now sit back in her infant seat. You may just want to bring your seat into the hospital and check him carefully before deciding what to do. I know we tried rolling a blanket and putting under her tush to try and lift her enough so her legs would be straight and not slanted but then with the cast on the straps were too tight and her circulation still cut off on her legs after a few minutes. Just make sure when you try him in his seat you let him sit a few minutes to make sure the cast doesn't cut off his circulation. We are going at the end of this month to have her 3rd cast applied and then she will be going in a brace (hopefully) for Spring and Summer. She was originally at 35 degrees and he corrected her 75% in her first cast and now with the second cast she is 100%. I just pray that she doesn't go back too much when she goes in the brace, but I am sooooo looking forward to putting her in a bath.

Good luck to you and Evan (really love the name by the way), our prayers are with you.

, mom of Evanlee & is (7 mos.)basketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote:

Jim and Abercrombie

PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

just thought I would throw in what worked for us...after Madison's first cast she longer fit in her infant seat either and we moved her up to her current car seat which has worked out fine with her brace also. It can go forwards or backwards, so it should work for you.....Britax Marathon Racer. I know that a couple of other Moms use this one as well and it seems to work out great for them too. Good luck on casting and best wishes to you and your entire family. JenJim & Abercrombie <dalerocks08@...> wrote: she is in an evenflo infant seat now, Easter Seals told us to hold on to theirs in case she has problems in her next cast. I looked at the carseats she would go into next but all that I saw the leg part also is at an angle like the infant carriers. The one from Easter

Seals the leg part is completely flat. <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: What carseat do you have her in now? I am looking and trying to figure out a good one-Jim & Abercrombie <dalerocks08@...> wrote: - My daughter Evanlee was casted when she was 4 months old, afterward she did go up one size on tops but pants stayed the same. Diapers we dropped down a size. The way the first cast was down around her thighs she was not able to sit properly in her infant seat because the leg part raises upward, but our hospital got us a special carseat on loan from Easter Seals. Now in her second cast they were able to cut away enough for her to raise her

legs enough and she can now sit back in her infant seat. You may just want to bring your seat into the hospital and check him carefully before deciding what to do. I know we tried rolling a blanket and putting under her tush to try and lift her enough so her legs would be straight and not slanted but then with the cast on the straps were too tight and her circulation still cut off on her legs after a few minutes. Just make sure when you try him in his seat you let him sit a few minutes to make sure the cast doesn't cut off his circulation. We are going at the end of this month to have her 3rd cast applied and then she will be going in a brace (hopefully) for Spring and Summer. She was originally at 35 degrees and he corrected her 75% in her first cast and now with the second cast she is 100%. I just pray that she doesn't go back too much when she goes in the brace, but I am sooooo looking forward to putting her in a bath. Good luck to you and Evan (really love the name by the way), our prayers are with you. , mom of Evanlee & is (7 mos.)basketsnboyds <basketsnboyds@...> wrote: Hi!Evan is scheduled for and appointment w/Dr. on Feb 6th in the clinic and then Mar 14th for the cast.Wish they could be sooner on fitting him in for his cast--- OH well!We went to the Dr today for his 6th ear infection-we had to cancel the appointment w/the ENT b/c that is the day of our 1st Shriners appointment!I've got a few questions that I'd never really thought of until I really realized Evan was going to actually be casted-1. How long do the casts need to be applied to actually correct the scoli- I 've read around 12-18mos? ALSO, is there a certain number of degrees that they

try to bring them down to in the cast w/each application (does that make sense?)?2. Clothing- Once the cast is applied is it hard to find clothes to fit?3. Car seat- Are there problems with fitting in the carseat w/the cast on? You all are wonderful and I want to thank everyone who always helps me out. I never really figured we'd be one of the ones to be casted, I assumed we'd be in the 90% that corrects itself spontaneously!I also want to mention that the Shriners did decide they could sponser me and also help out w/travel expenses- which is awesome and a true blessing! You can guess where my donations and my families donations will go forever (Shriners and infantilescoliosis.org !)Thanks in advance!Evan 8/7/05 Jim and Abercrombie PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP. PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP. Jim and Abercrombie Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcoverPhoto Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

• 5 years later...

I agree with Sherry. My daughter seems to complain that her back hurts when out of cast. I too believe its from having to use muscles they aren't having to use anymore. Funny you would think they would want the cast off...our kiddos are amazing!Amy J mom to Allie(4) in 8th cast dwn to 13* in cast from 56* Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "Sherry" <srclancy@...>Sender: infantile scoliosis treatment Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:48:33 -0500<infantile scoliosis treatment >Reply infantile scoliosis treatment Subject: RE: cast question Chelsea,My daughter complained that her back hurtbetween castings in December (not this month though). Since my daughter isalso in cast #5, I speculate that they are used to the physical support of thecast, and their back and abdominal muscles have weakened.Sherry

Thaddeus hasn't been in a cast yet but recently he will not let me take his brace off. Sent from my iPhoneOn Feb 28, 2011, at 10:34 AM, "genericallyloud" <jennifer.leggett@...> wrote:

Cole would beg for his to be back on. He had lots of tears over it and would check before we left the hospital that it was back on. even now in his brace he does not like taking it off.

Jenn

Mommy to Cole

>

>

>

>

>

> Does anyone else' child seem more unhappy when having the cast off for a day or two compared to when they have it on? Aubrey seems happier when she has her cast on. When they take it off its as almost shes in pain but doesnt really show it..just not as happy.

>

> Chelsea mom to aubrey down to 14*in cast #5

>

Aubrey gets her cast offically off in may for the summer and gets brace. and im sort of glad shes unhappy when she has the cast off ..because im hopeing she will want to keep the brace on even though it does come off. Thanks so much for your guys input! I didnt know if i was the only one that noticed that or if other kiddos were like that too! Chelsea mom to aubrey!

infantile scoliosis treatment CC: candice_welch85@...From: scottandleah@...Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:51:36 -0600Subject: Re: Re: cast question

My daughter Joy is now in a brace and complains when it is off.

Mommy to Grace, Lilly, and Joy age 2 ( had 3 casts and now in a brace since Jan. '11)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM, <candice_welch85@...> wrote:

Thaddeus hasn't been in a cast yet but recently he will not let me take his brace off.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 28, 2011, at 10:34 AM, "genericallyloud" <jennifer.leggett@...> wrote:

Cole would beg for his to be back on. He had lots of tears over it and would check before we left the hospital that it was back on. even now in his brace he does not like taking it off.JennMommy to Cole>> > > > > Does anyone else' child seem more unhappy when having the cast off for a day or two compared to when they have it on? Aubrey seems happier when she has her cast on. When they take it off its as almost shes in pain but doesnt really show it..just not as happy.> > Chelsea mom to aubrey down to 14*in cast #5>

-- Leah Jeffries