RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re: Stories/Updates

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In Lexi's case..................................

her scoli was unofficalially diganosed at 4 mo old during xrays and we were told not to worry about it ( little did we know ) at 12 mo old my husband and i noticed her one night before bathtime while she was undressed and saw that she was "crooked". at a year old then she was 21 degrees and again were told by her ortho not to worry, she would probably self correct. that was in november. january she was about 28 degrees.........in march when we went to erie for the first time she was still about the same and in august ( 19 mo old) she was at 31o and we casted. in cast she was 13o ( 1st cast ) november we went back for 2nd cast which was modified to be removable and again in cast she was still at 13o although miss mehta said she pry could have gotten more correction had it been a full blown cast. lexi is now going on 26 mo old january 11th. we have been VERY satisfied with the casting procedure and are sue back in erie feb 10th for the 3rd casting which will be the regular cast ( not removable ).

tracey

Re: Stories/Updates

Like, , Chesney, Lacie, Kenzie, Lexi, Tess...What was their curve degree before 1st Cast?What age did they receive their first cast?How many casts have they gone through?What are their angles now?How old are they now?Just interested in seeing others outcomes from this if any of you have time, I would really appreciate it. I don't mean to ask all girls either, just because I have a daughter, would be interested in boys answers too even, anyone really who has time to share the above info and any additional info. would be appreciated! Even via personal e-mail if you want.. thanks so much!>> While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to access > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm just > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your kids > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first cast put > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how responsive > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics posted > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going for them.> > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). He uses > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type lining > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should find out > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names that I > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had only had to > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is that > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! She's > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while she's in > the rapid growth period. Thanks.>

Guest guest

you are welcome and thanks! she is a cutie, but a total pill sometimes!!! lol i did mention however, she was still at 28o at first casting and that was inaccurate. she was actually between 35 & 37o at first cast and was down to 13o after. again, we were very pleased with the amount of correction dr. sanders was able to achieve. we just hope with the next cast they get more correction and hopefully this will all be over soon. miss mehta examined her in november and her best " guesstimate" was anywhere from 18-22 mo total casting. while living with the cast isn't bad ( lexi adapted very well) it is just hard to see your little ones live in a thing like that. i will have to go back and read posts to get your daughter's story......there are so many of us, i lose track sometimes!! lol i hope you guys have great success with the casting and it is an easy transistion. the thing that amazes me most is how well these children adapt and cope with it all. the cast has never once kept lexi from doing what she wants. they are truly amazing children!!!!

have a wonderful new years weekend!!!!!

tracey

Goodness, that's so great to hear, she's very adorable & I'm happy for the success you guys have seen thus far. Thank you so much for sharing a brief history w/me/us, I hope it continues to correct & pray that our daughters does too! > >> > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to access > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm just > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your > kids > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first cast > put > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how responsive > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics posted > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going for > them.> > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). He > uses > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type > lining > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should find > out > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names that > I > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had only > had to > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is that > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! > She's > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while > she's in > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> >> > > > > > >

Guest guest

O.K., my understanding of the differences between Mehta casts and others is (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) that all other casts are just put on with no back manipulation. Other casts are not expected to improve/fix the curve, just hold it in place and hope the curve doesn't progress. The Mehta cast technique is put on as the back is being manipulated by some sort of machine (not sure of the name). This device holds the back in place, with a corrected curve, while the cast is being applied. My understanding is that there are only a few of these devices in the U.S. that are being used. Not a lot of docs have access to them currently. That is my understanding of the differences. Anyone else have a better explaination? Lily 2 1/2 years Cole 10 months (first cast! New cast in 2 weeks! Can't wait!) Jack 10 months mosunshinebaby

<mosunshinebaby@...> wrote: Thanks for the additional info. My dd was diagnosed w/Scoli. @ 9 mos. with 26o left thoratic curve, measured same @ 12 mos. & progressed to 50o by 15 mos. MRI report was normal & confirmed Idio. Scoli.Now since you're consulting w/M.Mehta I'm assuming it's Mehta cast then (and not Risser?) Can somebody tell me the difference or maybe some websites where I can see the difference in casting.(I know you said to let you know C. if I needed more info on that.. do you know of any sites?) I know I just got that one positive response from a plaster casted patient that wasn't neccessarily referred to as Mehta, I'm a little confused on what the differences are.I know what you're saying about going through this w/the babies, especially while they're so

little! I'm not looking forward to it but know it'll be worth every ounce of time & energy if the treatment pays off! I just want to be sure we start off with the right kind of cast/treatment and I'm a little confused on it all.Our ortho is hesitant to give us any kind of "time frame" on length of casting too & says that real agressive curves are sometimes leaving us battling them through all their years of growing & that really makes me nervous to think about this not being correcting for her curve. His idea is of course to correct it but won't neccessarily make any guarantees you know. But from reading Min Mehta's statistical report listed in the files here she falls into the catagory of it taking about 12-24 mos. of casting, her report just states plaster/plaster of paris casts so I was assuming that any plaster cast would be okay & this ortho that we're seeing has the right idea, I'm wondering if

that's the case now though. I've been in touch w/his assistant on a regular basis while I'm looking into this and having questions, I emailed her that Mehta report and she said that's the same kind of casting they're doing & it looks similar to the one pictured on the baby.. the only difference being the arm & thigh for leverage which makes sense to me when thinking about it. Anyway, thanks again everyone for any input! & Happy New Year! > > >> > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to > access > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm > just > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your > > kids > > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first > cast > > put > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how > responsive > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics > posted

> > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going > for > > them.> > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). > He > > uses > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type > > lining > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should > find > > out > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names > that > > I > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone

here who had > only > > had to > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is > that > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! > > She's > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while > > she's in > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

, (founder of this group) usually suggests that you read the website www.infantilescoliosis.org and also read Miss Mehta's article posted on this list serve. There is also a short video available through the website which explains the casting purpose and some of the technique. Maybe that would be a good place to start in understanding the casting process and what it is for. Shellie Grant (Moriah's Mom) Baird <michelle_r_baird@...> wrote: O.K., my understanding of the differences between Mehta casts and others is (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) that all other casts are just put on with no back manipulation. Other casts are not expected to improve/fix the curve, just hold it in place and hope the

curve doesn't progress. The Mehta cast technique is put on as the back is being manipulated by some sort of machine (not sure of the name). This device holds the back in place, with a corrected curve, while the cast is being applied. My understanding is that there are only a few of these devices in the U.S. that are being used. Not a lot of docs have access to them currently. That is my understanding of the differences. Anyone else have a better explaination? Lily 2 1/2 years Cole 10 months (first cast! New cast in 2 weeks! Can't wait!) Jack 10 months mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote: Thanks for the additional info. My dd was diagnosed w/Scoli. @ 9 mos. with 26o left thoratic curve, measured same @ 12 mos. &

progressed to 50o by 15 mos. MRI report was normal & confirmed Idio. Scoli.Now since you're consulting w/M.Mehta I'm assuming it's Mehta cast then (and not Risser?) Can somebody tell me the difference or maybe some websites where I can see the difference in casting.(I know you said to let you know C. if I needed more info on that.. do you know of any sites?) I know I just got that one positive response from a plaster casted patient that wasn't neccessarily referred to as Mehta, I'm a little confused on what the differences are.I know what you're saying about going through this w/the babies, especially while they're so little! I'm not looking forward to it but know it'll be worth every ounce of time & energy if the treatment pays off! I just want to be sure we start off with the right kind of cast/treatment and I'm a little confused on it all.Our ortho is hesitant to give us any kind

of "time frame" on length of casting too & says that real agressive curves are sometimes leaving us battling them through all their years of growing & that really makes me nervous to think about this not being correcting for her curve. His idea is of course to correct it but won't neccessarily make any guarantees you know. But from reading Min Mehta's statistical report listed in the files here she falls into the catagory of it taking about 12-24 mos. of casting, her report just states plaster/plaster of paris casts so I was assuming that any plaster cast would be okay & this ortho that we're seeing has the right idea, I'm wondering if that's the case now though. I've been in touch w/his assistant on a regular basis while I'm looking into this and having questions, I emailed her that Mehta report and she said that's the same kind of casting they're doing & it looks similar to the one pictured on the baby.. the

only difference being the arm & thigh for leverage which makes sense to me when thinking about it. Anyway, thanks again everyone for any input! & Happy New Year! > > >> > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to > access >

> > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm > just > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your > > kids > > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first > cast > > put > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how > responsive > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics > posted > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going > for > > them.> > > > > > Also, I think you're on

this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). > He > > uses > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type > > lining > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should > find > > out > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names > that > > I > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had > only > > had to > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is > that > > > complete wishful

thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! > > She's > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while > > she's in > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

That is my understanding too . I will post a more detailed reply to the casting thread.

Noelle (12-2-01)Ian (8-15-04)

O.K., my understanding of the differences between Mehta casts and others is (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) that all other casts are just put on with no back manipulation. Other casts are not expected to improve/fix the curve, just hold it in place and hope the curve doesn't progress. The Mehta cast technique is put on as the back is being manipulated by some sort of machine (not sure of the name). This device holds the back in place, with a corrected curve, while the cast is being applied. My understanding is that there are only a few of these devices in the U.S. that are being used. Not a lot of docs have access to them currently.

That is my understanding of the differences. Anyone else have a better explaination?

Lily 2 1/2 years

Cole 10 months (first cast! New cast in 2 weeks! Can't wait!)

Jack 10 months mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote:

Thanks for the additional info. My dd was diagnosed w/Scoli. @ 9 mos. with 26o left thoratic curve, measured same @ 12 mos. & progressed to 50o by 15 mos. MRI report was normal & confirmed Idio. Scoli.Now since you're consulting w/M.Mehta I'm assuming it's Mehta cast then (and not Risser?) Can somebody tell me the difference or maybe some websites where I can see the difference in casting.(I know you said to let you know C. if I needed more info on that.. do you know of any sites?) I know I just got that one positive response from a plaster casted patient that wasn't neccessarily referred to as Mehta, I'm a little confused on what the differences are.I know what you're saying about going through this w/the babies, especially while they're so little! I'm not looking forward to it but know it'll be worth every ounce of time & energy if the treatment pays off! I just want to be sure we start off with the right kind of cast/treatment and I'm a little confused on it all.Our ortho is hesitant to give us any kind of "time frame" on length of casting too & says that real agressive curves are sometimes leaving us battling them through all their years of growing & that really makes me nervous to think about this not being correcting for her curve. His idea is of course to correct it but won't neccessarily make any guarantees you know. But from reading Min Mehta's statistical report listed in the files here she falls into the catagory of it taking about 12-24 mos. of casting, her report just states plaster/plaster of paris casts so I was assuming that any plaster cast would be okay & this ortho that we're seeing has the right idea, I'm wondering if that's the case now though. I've been in touch w/his assistant on a regular basis while I'm looking into this and having questions, I emailed her that Mehta report and she said that's the same kind of casting they're doing & it looks similar to the one pictured on the baby.. the only difference being the arm & thigh for leverage which makes sense to me when thinking about it. Anyway, thanks again everyone for any input! & Happy New Year! > > >> > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to > access > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm > just > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your > > kids > > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first > cast > > put > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how > responsive > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics > posted > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going > for > > them.> > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). > He > > uses > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type > > lining > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should > find > > out > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names > that > > I > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had > only > > had to > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is > that > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! > > She's > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while > > she's in > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

I kind of addressed your question in my previous post about the differences, but did want to mention why plaster-of-paris may be more beneficial than other types of materials. Again, this comes from Mehta's study. "Plaster-of-Paris is more mouldable than the newer synthetic materials. It flattens the rib hump and restores the body shape more efficiently".

Also, I should mention that Dr. Khoury with Shriners is treating Ian not Mehta. We got to meet Mehta for the ETTP last month and she did assess him, but Dr. Khoury is his main physician and is the one who applied the cast.

Let me try to find some info for you on the internet...I don't think anyone has done a study on Risser Casts, but I will see what I can find for you.

Thanks for the additional info. My dd was diagnosed w/Scoli. @ 9 mos. with 26o left thoratic curve, measured same @ 12 mos. & progressed to 50o by 15 mos. MRI report was normal & confirmed Idio. Scoli.Now since you're consulting w/M.Mehta I'm assuming it's Mehta cast then (and not Risser?) Can somebody tell me the difference or maybe some websites where I can see the difference in casting.(I know you said to let you know C. if I needed more info on that.. do you know of any sites?) I know I just got that one positive response from a plaster casted patient that wasn't neccessarily referred to as Mehta, I'm a little confused on what the differences are.I know what you're saying about going through this w/the babies, especially while they're so little! I'm not looking forward to it but know it'll be worth every ounce of time & energy if the treatment pays off! I just want to be sure we start off with the right kind of cast/treatment and I'm a little confused on it all.Our ortho is hesitant to give us any kind of "time frame" on length of casting too & says that real agressive curves are sometimes leaving us battling them through all their years of growing & that really makes me nervous to think about this not being correcting for her curve. His idea is of course to correct it but won't neccessarily make any guarantees you know. But from reading Min Mehta's statistical report listed in the files here she falls into the catagory of it taking about 12-24 mos. of casting, her report just states plaster/plaster of paris casts so I was assuming that any plaster cast would be okay & this ortho that we're seeing has the right idea, I'm wondering if that's the case now though. I've been in touch w/his assistant on a regular basis while I'm looking into this and having questions, I emailed her that Mehta report and she said that's the same kind of casting they're doing & it looks similar to the one pictured on the baby.. the only difference being the arm & thigh for leverage which makes sense to me when thinking about it. Anyway, thanks again everyone for any input! & Happy New Year! > > >> > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to > access > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm > just > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your > > kids > > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first > cast > > put > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how > responsive > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics > posted > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going > for > > them.> > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). > He > > uses > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type > > lining > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should > find > > out > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names > that > > I > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had > only > > had to > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is > that > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! > > She's > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while > > she's in > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Here is a link with several articles that you can download.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?list=T

That site also has a message board there too if you are interested.

Guest guest

Thanks Shellie, We actually have the Mehta video. Cole is in a Mehta cast, which we decided to have put on after seeing it and reading the article. My understanding of the differences in casting techniques is still what I posted. Thanks for sharing Moriah's story on the web site. I have read all the stories numerous times, and have learned from everyone. Shellie Grant <shelliegrant@...> wrote: , (founder of this group) usually suggests that you read the website www.infantilescoliosis.org and also read Miss Mehta's article posted on this list serve. There is also a short video available through the website which explains the casting purpose and some of the technique. Maybe that would be a good

place to start in understanding the casting process and what it is for. Shellie Grant (Moriah's Mom) Baird <michelle_r_baird@...> wrote: O.K., my understanding of the differences between Mehta casts and others is (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) that all other casts are just put on with no back manipulation. Other casts are not expected to improve/fix the curve, just hold it in place and hope the curve doesn't progress. The Mehta cast technique is put on as the back is being manipulated by some sort of machine (not sure of the name). This device holds the back in place, with a corrected curve, while the cast is being applied. My understanding is that there are only a few of these devices in the U.S. that are being used. Not a lot of docs have access to them currently. That is my understanding of the differences. Anyone else have a better explaination? Lily 2 1/2 years Cole 10 months (first cast! New cast in 2 weeks! Can't wait!) Jack 10 months mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote: Thanks for the additional info. My dd was diagnosed w/Scoli. @ 9 mos. with 26o left thoratic curve, measured same @ 12 mos. & progressed to 50o by 15 mos. MRI report was normal & confirmed Idio. Scoli.Now since you're consulting w/M.Mehta I'm assuming it's Mehta cast then (and not Risser?) Can somebody tell me the difference or maybe some websites where I can see the difference in casting.(I know you said to let you know C. if I needed more info on that.. do you know

of any sites?) I know I just got that one positive response from a plaster casted patient that wasn't neccessarily referred to as Mehta, I'm a little confused on what the differences are.I know what you're saying about going through this w/the babies, especially while they're so little! I'm not looking forward to it but know it'll be worth every ounce of time & energy if the treatment pays off! I just want to be sure we start off with the right kind of cast/treatment and I'm a little confused on it all.Our ortho is hesitant to give us any kind of "time frame" on length of casting too & says that real agressive curves are sometimes leaving us battling them through all their years of growing & that really makes me nervous to think about this not being correcting for her curve. His idea is of course to correct it but won't neccessarily make any guarantees you know. But from reading Min Mehta's statistical

report listed in the files here she falls into the catagory of it taking about 12-24 mos. of casting, her report just states plaster/plaster of paris casts so I was assuming that any plaster cast would be okay & this ortho that we're seeing has the right idea, I'm wondering if that's the case now though. I've been in touch w/his assistant on a regular basis while I'm looking into this and having questions, I emailed her that Mehta report and she said that's the same kind of casting they're doing & it looks similar to the one pictured on the baby.. the only difference being the arm & thigh for leverage which makes sense to me when thinking about it. Anyway, thanks again everyone for any input! & Happy New Year! > > >> > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to > access > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm > just > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your > > kids > > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first

> cast > > put > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how > responsive > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics > posted > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going > for > > them.> > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). > He > > uses > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type > > lining > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should

> find > > out > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names > that > > I > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had > only > > had to > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is > that > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! > > She's > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while > > she's in > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> >

>> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

mosunshinebaby, The only two hospitals I know of that have the device required to manipulate the spine are Shriner's Salt Lake and Shriner's Erie. There may be one or two more hosp. but I don't know about them. My husband also was very impressed with our Doc at Rainbow Babies Children Hosp., and wanted us to go there for Cole's care. Supposedly he is one of the best in the country, but we chose another option after much research. Dr. Mehta's cast just makes so much sense. At the recent conference in Erie with Dr. Mehta, which we attended, I found it interesting that my Ped. Ortho Surg. here in Cleve. sent another collegue of his, and his personal nurse to find out more about this casting technique. My local Dr. who is the VP of the National research society for scoliosis was still learning about the procedure. At the conference I spoke with his nurse, and she said "you

know, we do do casting too, we just don't get these kinds of results." And I said to her, "That's why we're here!" I guess my point in all this is, that there are a lot of good docs all over the world, BUT that doesn't mean they know everything. We are our children's advocates, and it is our responsibilty to find out all information and options and chose what is best for our children. We have had great correction with the Mehta cast, and are VERY happy with our decision, as I think all on this board who have been casted with Mehta's technique feel. It is worth any amout of traveling and inconvenience. Good luck with your decision. And please always feel free to ask questions. I can tell you are trying to get as much info as possible. Kudos! Take care. mosunshinebaby

<mosunshinebaby@...> wrote: Wow, thank you so much , , & Shellie.. Tracey. Thank you so much for putting the time in on helping me out here. Those are the lines I was thinking along from seeing how successful the newer Mehta "technic" seems, but was having a hard time w/understanding the difference.. now I have a better idea. My husband is very impressed w/Children's Hospital and our ortho there so I'm having a hard time getting him to understand why there might be better options available that Children's Hospital physicians aren't yet familiar with or atleast practicing. And why I don't want to jump into throwing her in a cast there when we might be wasting the precious time of her infancy growth. He seems to think she's going to be just fine w/what the Dr. wants to do but I just don't

want to take the chance if there's a better alternative.. even if it means traveling. However our time is limited, she's already 15 mos. and it basically doubled it's curved state in the past 3 mos. Is Shriner's the only hospitals using this casting technic does anyone know? I'll also check out the other boards too , thanks. I guess now I would need to find out what our closest options for Mehta casting are without wasting anymore time. Thanks again for all your input!> > > >> > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem > to > > access > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. > I'm > > just > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how > your > > > kids > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's > first > > cast > > > put > > > > on and I'm curious what lies

ahead (how many casts, how > > responsive > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics > > posted > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > going > > for > > > them.> > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > (right?). > > He > > > uses > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex > type > >

> lining > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I > should > > find > > > out > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific > names > > that > > > I > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had > > only > > > had to > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or > is > > that > > >

> complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > appreciated! > > > She's > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right > while > > > she's in > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

as far as the mehta technique of casting, erie and salt lake city are the most common hospitals doing it right now. however, there were physicians at the november ettp in erie that are hopefully going back home and adopting it into their practices.

where do you live again???? we travel from houston to erie for lexi's cast and while there is an doctor in austin doing the mehta cast, we are sticking with erie only due to the fact that dr. sander's knows lexi's history with all of this and we feel comfortable with him as he has been doing it longer.

tracey

Wow, thank you so much , , & Shellie.. Tracey. Thank you so much for putting the time in on helping me out here. Those are the lines I was thinking along from seeing how successful the newer Mehta "technic" seems, but was having a hard time w/understanding the difference.. now I have a better idea. My husband is very impressed w/Children's Hospital and our ortho there so I'm having a hard time getting him to understand why there might be better options available that Children's Hospital physicians aren't yet familiar with or atleast practicing. And why I don't want to jump into throwing her in a cast there when we might be wasting the precious time of her infancy growth. He seems to think she's going to be just fine w/what the Dr. wants to do but I just don't want to take the chance if there's a better alternative.. even if it means traveling. However our time is limited, she's already 15 mos. and it basically doubled it's curved state in the past 3 mos. Is Shriner's the only hospitals using this casting technic does anyone know? I'll also check out the other boards too , thanks. I guess now I would need to find out what our closest options for Mehta casting are without wasting anymore time. Thanks again for all your input!> > > >> > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem > to > > access > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. > I'm > > just > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how > your > > > kids > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's > first > > cast > > > put > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how > > responsive > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics > > posted > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > going > > for > > > them.> > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > (right?). > > He > > > uses > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex > type > > > lining > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I > should > > find > > > out > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific > names > > that > > > I > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had > > only > > > had to > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or > is > > that > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > appreciated! > > > She's > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right > while > > > she's in > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

i know this was posted to michelle, but wanted to clarify something. it isn't a machine they use to manipulate ths spine. it is actually a frame of some sort that the child is place in traction upon.

in the album section of the group or photos, go and look at bethany's album......there are pictures of her being casted and you can see better what it is they use.

tracey

infantile scoliosis treatment

Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 2:52 PM

Subject: Re: Stories/Updates

Yes, thanks so much for the info. . We actually, coincidentally, are vacationing in Park City from the 8th-15th of this month (flying into SLC) and were planning on getting her casted immediately upon returning. I agree that travel would be worth it if someone can guarantee her success, I would do anything.. inconvenient or no it's not even an issue. So Mehta casting uses a machine huh? Where is Cole at now with his treamtment? I'm wondering if we might be able to set something up while we're out there.. any contact info. or sites you might have to give would be appreciated. Would I just contact Shriner's in Salt Lake about this? > > > > >> > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > seem > > to > > > access > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > profile. > > I'm > > > just > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & > how > > your > > > > kids > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > daughter's > > first > > > cast > > > > put > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > how > > > responsive > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > w/pics > > > posted > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > > going > > > for > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > (right?). > > > He > > > > uses > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > gortex > > type > > > > lining > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I > > should > > > find > > > > out > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > specific > > names > > > that > > > > I > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who > had > > > only > > > > had to > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > success??? Or > > is > > > that > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > appreciated! > > > > She's > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > right > > while > > > > she's in > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

It's called an AMIL frame. Hyatt can tell you more. Tracey <pthahn@...> wrote: i know this was posted to michelle, but wanted to clarify something. it isn't a machine they use to manipulate ths spine. it is actually a frame of some sort that the child is place in traction upon. in the album section of the group or photos, go and look at bethany's album......there are pictures of her being casted and you can see better what it is they use. tracey From: mosunshinebaby infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 2:52 PM Subject: Re: Stories/Updates Yes, thanks so much for the info. . We actually, coincidentally, are vacationing in Park City from the 8th-15th of this month (flying into SLC) and were planning on getting her casted immediately upon returning. I agree that travel would be worth it if someone can guarantee her success, I would do anything.. inconvenient

or no it's not even an issue. So Mehta casting uses a machine huh? Where is Cole at now with his treamtment? I'm wondering if we might be able to set something up while we're out there.. any contact info. or sites you might have to give would be appreciated. Would I just contact Shriner's in Salt Lake about this? > > > > >> > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > seem > > to > > > access > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in

your > profile. > > I'm > > > just > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & > how > > your > > > > kids > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > daughter's > > first > > > cast > > > > put > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > how > > > responsive > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > w/pics > > > posted >

> > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > > going > > > for > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > (right?). > > > He > > > > uses > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > gortex > > type > > > > lining > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I > > should >

> > find > > > > out > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > specific > > names > > > that > > > > I > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who > had > > > only > > > > had to > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > success??? Or > > is > > > that > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > >

appreciated! > > > > She's > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > right > > while > > > > she's in > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Here is a link to the one in Salt Lake: http://www.shrinershq.org/shc/intermountain/index.html

If you call and explain your situation and that you will be there on those dates, they might be able to squeeze you in. I just called the one in Erie and got my appt. scheduled over the phone. I would definitely explain how significant her curve is and they might be able to get you in quicker. Maybe someone has Dr. D'Astous' (spelling?) email addy and you could talk to him (or is it a her?) directly that way. Dr. Khoury is really good about getting right back to me.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. We saw the number 1 guy here in Richmond and while he is a good surgeon he didn't know anything about this technique.

Anyway, good luck no matter what method of treatment you end up choosing.

Yes, thanks so much for the info. . We actually, coincidentally, are vacationing in Park City from the 8th-15th of this month (flying into SLC) and were planning on getting her casted immediately upon returning. I agree that travel would be worth it if someone can guarantee her success, I would do anything.. inconvenient or no it's not even an issue. So Mehta casting uses a machine huh? Where is Cole at now with his treamtment? I'm wondering if we might be able to set something up while we're out there.. any contact info. or sites you might have to give would be appreciated. Would I just contact Shriner's in Salt Lake about this? > > > > >> > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > seem > > to > > > access > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > profile. > > I'm > > > just > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & > how > > your > > > > kids > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > daughter's > > first > > > cast > > > > put > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > how > > > responsive > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > w/pics > > > posted > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > > going > > > for > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > (right?). > > > He > > > > uses > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > gortex > > type > > > > lining > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I > > should > > > find > > > > out > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > specific > > names > > > that > > > > I > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who > had > > > only > > > > had to > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > success??? Or > > is > > > that > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > appreciated! > > > > She's > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > right > > while > > > > she's in > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Tracey, I think it is called a Cotrel table or something like that.

Guest guest

Even if they can't get her in to be casted on those dates, they may be able to at least see her, evaluate her and answer your questions. If you have to go back, places like Miracle flights and Angel Flights can fly you for free.

We're in San Diego CA.. quite a ways I know! :) Travel is no issue, we'll do anything we have too & have a time share in Park City we can always use for stay if need be. So Lexi's @ 13o right now right? With a projected 18-22 mos. correction period (if I remember correctly?!) So how much longer does that leave you guys until your supposed to be done? Well I'd like to try & set something up while we're out there, maybe even casted, forget about my vacation! I wonder how feasible that is?! > > > > >> > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > seem > > to > > > access > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > profile. > > I'm > > > just > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & > how > > your > > > > kids > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > daughter's > > first > > > cast > > > > put > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > how > > > responsive > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > w/pics > > > posted > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > > going > > > for > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > (right?). > > > He > > > > uses > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > gortex > > type > > > > lining > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I > > should > > > find > > > > out > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > specific > > names > > > that > > > > I > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who > had > > > only > > > > had to > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > success??? Or > > is > > > that > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > appreciated! > > > > She's > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > right > > while > > > > she's in > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

lexi just had her 2nd cast put on in november by miss mehta while at the ettp in erie. she was still at 13o in the cast, same as from first cast placed in august. again though, this cast was modified to be removable because we thought we were doing a hand operation in december. she has been out of it a week now due to some pneumonia, so i seriously doubt she is still at 13o. miss mehta did say however, had this been a full unremovable cast, she felt she may have gotten more correction.

we started in august with casting and lexi was 21 months at the time. she "guess"timated 18-22 months total, but remember it's not so much about when they hit a zero degree curve or even 2 or 3o.....it is when the spine is solid and strong enough to continue growing on its own in a straight direction. i know there was a mom here ( can't remember name) but her daughter was still being casted at like 1 or 2o due to the flexibility still in the spine. so, i don't count the months down because ti could always be longer and this way if it isn't..we are all pleasantly surprised. we go back feb 7 for lexi's 3rd cast and i am hoping to see some good correction as she will be back in the cast and it won't be removable. we go to her ortho here in houston tomorrow for a "talk" (looooooong story) but i am going to have him take a film to see what progression has occured this week out of the cast mainly for my own knowledge i suppose.

tracey

We're in San Diego CA.. quite a ways I know! :) Travel is no issue, we'll do anything we have too & have a time share in Park City we can always use for stay if need be. So Lexi's @ 13o right now right? With a projected 18-22 mos. correction period (if I remember correctly?!) So how much longer does that leave you guys until your supposed to be done? Well I'd like to try & set something up while we're out there, maybe even casted, forget about my vacation! I wonder how feasible that is?! > > > > >> > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > seem > > to > > > access > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > profile. > > I'm > > > just > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & > how > > your > > > > kids > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > daughter's > > first > > > cast > > > > put > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > how > > > responsive > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > w/pics > > > posted > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > > going > > > for > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > (right?). > > > He > > > > uses > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > gortex > > type > > > > lining > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I > > should > > > find > > > > out > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > specific > > names > > > that > > > > I > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who > had > > > only > > > > had to > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > success??? Or > > is > > > that > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > appreciated! > > > > She's > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > right > > while > > > > she's in > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

I wanted to add that the one thing I learned at the conference is that the rotation plays a big part in the progression (Dr. Khoury even told me that he hadn't realized how much of a role it played until the conference). Ian's rotation was 45 degrees which is considered significant. The EDF cast address this issue...I don't know if the risser casts address that or not.

Yes yes, I see it's the RVAD angle they're aiming to descrease w/Mehta casting & I understand now after reading all these articles about it how much more sense it makes then simply bending the spine straight & casting it that way. Good luck w/her continued success, hopefully it hasn't progressed too much while being out.. thanks again for sharing!! As you can see I'm extremely interested in all of these detailed experiences!> > > > > >> > > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I > can't > > seem > > > to > > > > access > > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > > profile. > > > I'm > > > > just > > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the > pics & > > how > > > your > > > > > kids > > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > > daughter's > > > first > > > > cast > > > > > put > > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many > casts, > > how > > > > responsive > > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > > w/pics > > > > posted > > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things > are > > > going > > > > for > > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > > (right?). > > > > He > > > > > uses > > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > > gortex > > > type > > > > > lining > > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name > that I > > > should > > > > find > > > > > out > > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > > specific > > > names > > > > that > > > > > I > > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here > who > > had > > > > only > > > > > had to > > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > > success??? Or > > > is > > > > that > > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > > appreciated! > > > > > She's > > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > > right > > > while > > > > > she's in > > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

No problem! When we first found out about Ian having scoli, I was so overwhelmed. I received so much support from the other parents here that I like to give back when I can.

Yes, I'm going to for sure.. thanks for the link and again so much for your help!> > > > > >> > > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > > seem > > > to > > > > access > > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > > profile. > > > I'm > > > > just > > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics > & > > how > > > your > > > > > kids > > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > > daughter's > > > first > > > > cast > > > > > put > > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > > how > > > > responsive > > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > > w/pics > > > > posted > > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things > are > > > going > > > > for > > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > > (right?). > > > > He > > > > > uses > > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > > gortex > > > type > > > > > lining > > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that > I > > > should > > > > find > > > > > out > > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > > specific > > > names > > > > that > > > > > I > > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here > who > > had > > > > only > > > > > had to > > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > > success??? Or > > > is > > > > that > > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > > appreciated! > > > > > She's > > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > > right > > > while > > > > > she's in > > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

You have to take advantage of being in Salt Lake and having your child at least looked at, if not casted! Shriner's is about 25 miles from Park City. We live in Ohio now, but we are from Salt Lake and plan on going back when my husband finishes law and mba school. I think gave you the site and/or contact info. I'm jealous you're going to Park City! They will never guarantee success, but if you read Mehta's research, she produces amazing results. It makes so much sense. Just like when you plant a young tree, and you have to stick a rod next to it so it will grow straight. Once it is strong and straight, you no longer need the rod anymore. Also, alot like braces on your teeth. Cole was casted for the first time in Nov. at the ettp. trial in Erie, we are going back for a cast change in two weeks. Cole was 8 months when he was casted with a 40 degree curve. He was corrected to 20 degrees in this first cast. He is expected to wear a cast for 12-15

months since he was so young and started so early. Hopefully next year at this time we will be done with the casting. Good luck! Call Shriner's and tell them your situation.mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote: Yes, thanks so much for the info. . We actually, coincidentally, are vacationing in Park City from the 8th-15th of this month (flying into SLC) and were planning on getting her casted immediately upon returning. I agree that travel would be worth it if someone can guarantee her success, I would do anything.. inconvenient or no it's not even an issue. So Mehta casting uses a machine huh? Where is Cole at now with his treamtment? I'm wondering if we might be able to set something up while we're out there.. any contact info. or sites you might have to give

would be appreciated. Would I just contact Shriner's in Salt Lake about this? > > > > > > > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > seem > > to > > > access > > > > > most of your

e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > profile. > > I'm > > > just > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & > how > > your > > > > kids > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > daughter's > > first > > > cast > > > > put > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > how > > > responsive > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > w/pics >

> > posted > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are > > going > > > for > > > > them. > > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > (right?). > > > He > > > > uses > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > gortex > > type > > > > lining > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific

name that I > > should > > > find > > > > out > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > specific > > names > > > that > > > > I > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who > had > > > only > > > > had to > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > success??? Or > > is > > > that > > > > > complete

wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > appreciated! > > > > She's > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > right > > while > > > > she's in > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

You are lucky your ortho is so willing to discuss your concerns and is not offended by you looking into other options. I know several of here didn't have it so lucky.

Yes yes, I'm definitely going to see what they can fit us in for.. & my husband agrees, we'll take advantage of the time we'll be there. Yeah, we've been looking forward to PC too! We have a week in our time share once a year & I'm happy to incorporate some of the time there for this, it's actually strangely coincidental the way it's working out.. like 1 of the only 2 locations in the U.S. incorporating this into their treatment plan happens to be where we are flying to on Sat.?? Could it be anymore convenient? We'll have my 2 1/2 yr. old w/us too but g-ma & g-pa scheduled their own week they have @ a different property to spend some vacation time w/us so they can even help w/her if we need it! Our ortho here kind of explained it to us that way too with guiding the growth, he's definitely one for casting & had a very no nonsense approach to getting her wrapped up, I think it's just a matter of their knowledge & exposure to the way Mehta (and others here now too) are casting, I've got to imagine he's up on recent literature from this past year though? And hearing that Risser is an "older" cast to use & not used as widely anymore is surprising to me that it's what they are using @ S.D. Children's hospital? I have yet to speak w/him about all of this since her appt. last week but will for sure have the chance tomorrow he'll be back in. I've been back and forth with his nurse about everything though & she's been interested in discussing all the concerns I have & any info. I've had to share on Mehta that is being shared w/me.. requesting files be e-mailed etc. He & his staff are great and completely understand us wanting to explore our options for Solana's sake so I know they'll be supportive in working with us regarldess of where we end up starting treatment which is also comforting. (It's been my husband resisting any other ideas than what we're doing which has been hard but I've gathered enough info. that he's starting to come around more, this is all so new to both of us). That's so great the progress you have made w/Cole in only 1 cast, very encouraging, luckily you started early.. I pray we have the same luck! Her hump is barely noticable (except to me of course as well as her rib) and it straightens out nicely when you apply force, but it's obviously getting worse.Anywho, thanks again for everything, even if it's only a hand full of your guys' input I'm getting I appreciate anything, it's better than being in the dark.. by myself =P I will be on the phone quite a bit tomorrow I have a feeling, hopefully it all goes smooth! > > > > > >> > > > > > While looking through some of your pictures I can't > > seem > > > to > > > > access > > > > > > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your > > profile. > > > I'm > > > > just > > > > > > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics > & > > how > > > your > > > > > kids > > > > > > are now. We are just entering into having my > > daughter's > > > first > > > > cast > > > > > put > > > > > > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, > > how > > > > responsive > > > > > > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls > > w/pics > > > > posted > > > > > > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things > are > > > going > > > > for > > > > > them.> > > > > > > > > > > > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy > > > (right?). > > > > He > > > > > uses > > > > > > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & > > gortex > > > type > > > > > lining > > > > > > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that > I > > > should > > > > find > > > > > out > > > > > > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or > > specific > > > names > > > > that > > > > > I > > > > > > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here > who > > had > > > > only > > > > > had to > > > > > > cast there young infant once or twice & had > > success??? Or > > > is > > > > that > > > > > > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is > > > appreciated! > > > > > She's > > > > > > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done > > right > > > while > > > > > she's in > > > > > > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

This e- mail has really made me realize that I need to get Madison's story posted. (sorry ) I don't check the e-mail too terribly often, but this one caught my eye for some reason. At any rate.....My daughter, Madison, was first casted when she was 8 months old, by Dr. D'Astous in SLC, UT. Her cast was changed every six-eight weeks. She wore a cast for 15 months total and is now in a TLSO. We will be going to pick up her second one next Tuesday actually. Her original curve at first application was 54 Cobb and 45 RVAD. After just the first application she went down to 26 Cobb and 20 RVAD. (these measurements are to the best of my recollection) When the third cast was applied her curve actually increased and she had developed a compensatory curve. This was was explained to me because her rotation and wedging were being corrected. She wore a total of 7 casts. When the final cast came off (7/05) her

RVAD was zero and her COBB was 12. After just having x-rays done last week her RVAD remains at zero and her COBB is at 5. The only problems we ran into was skin breakdown one time, which we had treated locally at a diabetic wound care clinic. We just had her cast trimmed down a little bit where the breakdown was occuring and within 3 days she was fine. As for after effects, what I notice first and foremost is a VERY straight spine with incredible posture. Upon Dr. D'Astous's recommendation she is receiving PT twice a week to help strengthen her torso and improve her balance. I can see improvement almost every session. Where she was experieincing pulmonary disfunction, all seems to be well now. She goes back for a follow-up on that 2/24. Considering the alternatives, I think she's doing great. I feel like I have tried to tell you all the poitives and negatives involved. In my personal opinion, I think the

whole experience was tougher on me than her. She took her first steps ( she was 14 months old) in her 5th cast, at Shriners while walking with Dr. D'Astous, so it seemed very fitting to me. I guess because she learned to walk in the cast is why she has the balance issues, which really aren't that noticeable. And of cousre being in some type of brace or cast (born with sublexed hips) since the day she was born has attributed to the muscle atrophy in her torso. Because I can see constant improvement, I don't hesitate in saying I would do it all over again if I had to. You are going to be suprised how resiliant your little one is. I wish you and your family the very best. As I stated in the begining I am HORRIBLE about checking the posts. If you, or anyone, would like to chat, I would be more than happy to talk to you. I live in TX (CST), and my only request is please don't

call before 0700 or after 2000 my time. Otherwise, I am home all day usually and available for you. 325-651-9160. Sorry this is such a long e-mail, but I hope gives some of you new parents hope and maybe some who are in the journey and getting frustrated and renewed sense of hope. Happy New Year to each and every one of you. mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote: Like, , Chesney, Lacie, Kenzie, Lexi, Tess...What was their curve degree before 1st Cast?What age did they receive their first cast?How many casts have they gone through?What are their angles now?How old are they now?Just interested in seeing others outcomes from this if any of you have time, I would really appreciate it. I don't mean to ask

all girls either, just because I have a daughter, would be interested in boys answers too even, anyone really who has time to share the above info and any additional info. would be appreciated! Even via personal e-mail if you want.. thanks so much!>> While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to access > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm just > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your kids > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first cast put > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how responsive > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics posted > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going for them.> > Also, I think you're on this sight too

Ian's Mommy (right?). He uses > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type lining > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should find out > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names that I > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had only had to > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is that > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! She's > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while she's in > the rapid growth period. Thanks.>

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

I was hoping you would post. Your story is the one that really pushed me to cast Ian. I do hope you get your story up on the website. I know it really inspired me. I am glad to hear how well she is doing!!

This e- mail has really made me realize that I need to get Madison's story posted. (sorry ) I don't check the e-mail too terribly often, but this one caught my eye for some reason. At any rate.....My daughter, Madison, was first casted when she was 8 months old, by Dr. D'Astous in SLC, UT. Her cast was changed every six-eight weeks. She wore a cast for 15 months total and is now in a TLSO. We will be going to pick up her second one next Tuesday actually. Her original curve at first application was 54 Cobb and 45 RVAD. After just the first application she went down to 26 Cobb and 20 RVAD. (these measurements are to the best of my recollection) When the third cast was applied her curve actually increased and she had developed a compensatory curve. This was was explained to me because her rotation and wedging were being corrected. She wore a total of 7 casts. When the final cast came off (7/05) her RVAD was zero and her COBB was 12. After just having x-rays done last week her RVAD remains at zero and her COBB is at 5. The only problems we ran into was skin breakdown one time, which we had treated locally at a diabetic wound care clinic. We just had her cast trimmed down a little bit where the breakdown was occuring and within 3 days she was fine. As for after effects, what I notice first and foremost is a VERY straight spine with incredible posture. Upon Dr. D'Astous's recommendation she is receiving PT twice a week to help strengthen her torso and improve her balance. I can see improvement almost every session. Where she was experieincing pulmonary disfunction, all seems to be well now. She goes back for a follow-up on that 2/24. Considering the alternatives, I think she's doing great. I feel like I have tried to tell you all the poitives and negatives involved. In my personal opinion, I think the whole experience was tougher on me than her. She took her first steps ( she was 14 months old) in her 5th cast, at Shriners while walking with Dr. D'Astous, so it seemed very fitting to me. I guess because she learned to walk in the cast is why she has the balance issues, which really aren't that noticeable. And of cousre being in some type of brace or cast (born with sublexed hips) since the day she was born has attributed to the muscle atrophy in her torso. Because I can see constant improvement, I don't hesitate in saying I would do it all over again if I had to. You are going to be suprised how resiliant your little one is. I wish you and your family the very best.

As I stated in the begining I am HORRIBLE about checking the posts. If you, or anyone, would like to chat, I would be more than happy to talk to you. I live in TX (CST), and my only request is please don't call before 0700 or after 2000 my time. Otherwise, I am home all day usually and available for you. 325-651-9160. Sorry this is such a long e-mail, but I hope gives some of you new parents hope and maybe some who are in the journey and getting frustrated and renewed sense of hope. Happy New Year to each and every one of you.

mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote:

Like, , Chesney, Lacie, Kenzie, Lexi, Tess...What was their curve degree before 1st Cast?What age did they receive their first cast?How many casts have they gone through?What are their angles now?How old are they now?Just interested in seeing others outcomes from this if any of you have time, I would really appreciate it. I don't mean to ask all girls either, just because I have a daughter, would be interested in boys answers too even, anyone really who has time to share the above info and any additional info. would be appreciated! Even via personal e-mail if you want.. thanks so much!>> While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to access > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm just > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your kids > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first cast put > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how responsive > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics posted > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going for them.> > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). He uses > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type lining > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should find out > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names that I > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had only had to > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is that > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! She's > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while she's in > the rapid growth period. Thanks.>

PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

Hi , I am really glad to hear Madison continues to do so well. It was lovely to meet you back in May. Dr D'Astous is amazing and such a compassionate and caring person. Madison's story is truly inspirational. Bert and Bridget <jenstewart73@...> wrote: This e- mail has really made me realize that I need to get Madison's story posted. (sorry ) I don't check the e-mail too terribly often, but this one caught my eye for some reason. At any rate.....My daughter, Madison, was first casted when she was 8 months old, by Dr. D'Astous in SLC, UT. Her cast was changed every six-eight weeks. She wore a cast for 15 months total and is now in a TLSO. We will be going to pick up her second one next

Tuesday actually. Her original curve at first application was 54 Cobb and 45 RVAD. After just the first application she went down to 26 Cobb and 20 RVAD. (these measurements are to the best of my recollection) When the third cast was applied her curve actually increased and she had developed a compensatory curve. This was was explained to me because her rotation and wedging were being corrected. She wore a total of 7 casts. When the final cast came off (7/05) her RVAD was zero and her COBB was 12. After just having x-rays done last week her RVAD remains at zero and her COBB is at 5. The only problems we ran into was skin breakdown one time, which we had treated locally at a diabetic wound care clinic. We just had her cast trimmed down a little bit where the breakdown was occuring and within 3 days she was fine. As for after effects, what I notice first and foremost is a VERY straight spine with incredible

posture. Upon Dr. D'Astous's recommendation she is receiving PT twice a week to help strengthen her torso and improve her balance. I can see improvement almost every session. Where she was experieincing pulmonary disfunction, all seems to be well now. She goes back for a follow-up on that 2/24. Considering the alternatives, I think she's doing great. I feel like I have tried to tell you all the poitives and negatives involved. In my personal opinion, I think the whole experience was tougher on me than her. She took her first steps ( she was 14 months old) in her 5th cast, at Shriners while walking with Dr. D'Astous, so it seemed very fitting to me. I guess because she learned to walk in the cast is why she has the balance issues, which really aren't that noticeable. And of cousre being in some type of brace or cast (born with sublexed hips) since the day she was born has attributed to the muscle

atrophy in her torso. Because I can see constant improvement, I don't hesitate in saying I would do it all over again if I had to. You are going to be suprised how resiliant your little one is. I wish you and your family the very best. As I stated in the begining I am HORRIBLE about checking the posts. If you, or anyone, would like to chat, I would be more than happy to talk to you. I live in TX (CST), and my only request is please don't call before 0700 or after 2000 my time. Otherwise, I am home all day usually and available for you. 325-651-9160. Sorry this is such a long e-mail, but I hope gives some of you new parents hope and maybe some who are in the journey and getting frustrated and renewed sense of hope. Happy New Year to each and every one of you. mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...>

wrote: Like, , Chesney, Lacie, Kenzie, Lexi, Tess...What was their curve degree before 1st Cast?What age did they receive their first cast?How many casts have they gone through?What are their angles now?How old are they now?Just interested in seeing others outcomes from this if any of you have time, I would really appreciate it. I don't mean to ask all girls either, just because I have a daughter, would be interested in boys answers too even, anyone really who has time to share the above info and any additional info. would be appreciated! Even via personal e-mail if you want.. thanks so much!>> While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to access > most of your

e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm just > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your kids > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first cast put > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how responsive > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics posted > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going for them.> > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). He uses > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type lining > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should find out > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names that I > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had only had to > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is that > complete wishful

thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! She's > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while she's in > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

Can I ask...what does RVAD and Cobb mean?

Deborah

This e- mail has really made me realize that I need to get Madison's story posted. (sorry ) I don't check the e-mail too terribly often, but this one caught my eye for some reason. At any rate.....My daughter, Madison, was first casted when she was 8 months old, by Dr. D'Astous in SLC, UT. Her cast was changed every six-eight weeks. She wore a cast for 15 months total and is now in a TLSO. We will be going to pick up her second one next Tuesday actually. Her original curve at first application was 54 Cobb and 45 RVAD. After just the first application she went down to 26 Cobb and 20 RVAD. (these measurements are to the best of my recollection) When the third cast was applied her curve actually increased and she had developed a compensatory curve. This was was explained to me because her rotation and wedging were being corrected. She wore a total of 7 casts. When the final cast came off (7/05) her RVAD was zero and her COBB was 12. After just having x-rays done last week her RVAD remains at zero and her COBB is at 5. The only problems we ran into was skin breakdown one time, which we had treated locally at a diabetic wound care clinic. We just had her cast trimmed down a little bit where the breakdown was occuring and within 3 days she was fine. As for after effects, what I notice first and foremost is a VERY straight spine with incredible posture. Upon Dr. D'Astous's recommendation she is receiving PT twice a week to help strengthen her torso and improve her balance. I can see improvement almost every session. Where she was experieincing pulmonary disfunction, all seems to be well now. She goes back for a follow-up on that 2/24. Considering the alternatives, I think she's doing great. I feel like I have tried to tell you all the poitives and negatives involved. In my personal opinion, I think the whole experience was tougher on me than her. She took her first steps ( she was 14 months old) in her 5th cast, at Shriners while walking with Dr. D'Astous, so it seemed very fitting to me. I guess because she learned to walk in the cast is why she has the balance issues, which really aren't that noticeable. And of cousre being in some type of brace or cast (born with sublexed hips) since the day she was born has attributed to the muscle atrophy in her torso. Because I can see constant improvement, I don't hesitate in saying I would do it all over again if I had to. You are going to be suprised how resiliant your little one is. I wish you and your family the very best.

As I stated in the begining I am HORRIBLE about checking the posts. If you, or anyone, would like to chat, I would be more than happy to talk to you. I live in TX (CST), and my only request is please don't call before 0700 or after 2000 my time. Otherwise, I am home all day usually and available for you. 325-651-9160. Sorry this is such a long e-mail, but I hope gives some of you new parents hope and maybe some who are in the journey and getting frustrated and renewed sense of hope. Happy New Year to each and every one of you.

mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote:

PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

Madison had a cast change every 6-8 weeks? I wonder how they determine how often to change it. Cole was 8 months when he was casted and we get our first cast change at 10 weeks. I feel like his current cast is about to fall apart and wish we could get a new one sooner. Plus , Iam anxious for under the arm cast! Great story. Very much like the beginning of Cole's, and we look forward to having the same results in a year from now. <jenstewart73@...> wrote: This e- mail has really made me realize that I need to get Madison's story posted. (sorry ) I don't check the e-mail too terribly often, but this one caught my eye for some reason. At any rate.....My daughter, Madison, was first casted when she was 8 months old, by Dr. D'Astous in SLC, UT. Her cast was

changed every six-eight weeks. She wore a cast for 15 months total and is now in a TLSO. We will be going to pick up her second one next Tuesday actually. Her original curve at first application was 54 Cobb and 45 RVAD. After just the first application she went down to 26 Cobb and 20 RVAD. (these measurements are to the best of my recollection) When the third cast was applied her curve actually increased and she had developed a compensatory curve. This was was explained to me because her rotation and wedging were being corrected. She wore a total of 7 casts. When the final cast came off (7/05) her RVAD was zero and her COBB was 12. After just having x-rays done last week her RVAD remains at zero and her COBB is at 5. The only problems we ran into was skin breakdown one time, which we had treated locally at a diabetic wound care clinic. We just had her cast trimmed down a little bit where the breakdown was

occuring and within 3 days she was fine. As for after effects, what I notice first and foremost is a VERY straight spine with incredible posture. Upon Dr. D'Astous's recommendation she is receiving PT twice a week to help strengthen her torso and improve her balance. I can see improvement almost every session. Where she was experieincing pulmonary disfunction, all seems to be well now. She goes back for a follow-up on that 2/24. Considering the alternatives, I think she's doing great. I feel like I have tried to tell you all the poitives and negatives involved. In my personal opinion, I think the whole experience was tougher on me than her. She took her first steps ( she was 14 months old) in her 5th cast, at Shriners while walking with Dr. D'Astous, so it seemed very fitting to me. I guess because she learned to walk in the cast is why she has the balance issues, which really aren't that

noticeable. And of cousre being in some type of brace or cast (born with sublexed hips) since the day she was born has attributed to the muscle atrophy in her torso. Because I can see constant improvement, I don't hesitate in saying I would do it all over again if I had to. You are going to be suprised how resiliant your little one is. I wish you and your family the very best. As I stated in the begining I am HORRIBLE about checking the posts. If you, or anyone, would like to chat, I would be more than happy to talk to you. I live in TX (CST), and my only request is please don't call before 0700 or after 2000 my time. Otherwise, I am home all day usually and available for you. 325-651-9160. Sorry this is such a long e-mail, but I hope gives some of you new parents hope and maybe some who are in the journey and getting frustrated and renewed sense of hope. Happy New

Year to each and every one of you. mosunshinebaby <mosunshinebaby@...> wrote: Like, , Chesney, Lacie, Kenzie, Lexi, Tess...What was their curve degree before 1st Cast?What age did they receive their first cast?How many casts have they gone through?What are their angles now?How old are they now?Just interested in seeing others outcomes from this if any of you have time, I would really appreciate it. I don't mean to ask all girls either, just because I have a daughter, would be interested in boys answers too even, anyone really who has time to share the above info and any additional info. would be appreciated! Even via personal e-mail if you want.. thanks so much!>> While looking through some of your pictures I can't seem to access > most of your e-mails b/c it's not listed in your profile. I'm just > wondering about some of the stories behind the pics & how your kids > are now. We are just entering into having my daughter's first cast put > on and I'm curious what lies ahead (how many casts, how responsive > kids curves have been etc.) Some of the baby girls w/pics posted > remind me of mine & I'm curious to know how things are going for them.> > Also, I think you're on this sight too Ian's Mommy (right?). He uses > an actual plaster cast with fiberglass outside & gortex type lining > too so it can get wet. Is there a specific name that I should find out > about the cast they're planning to use? And/or specific names that

I > should be having used on her? Is there anyone here who had only had to > cast there young infant once or twice & had success??? Or is that > complete wishful thinking? Any input or advice is appreciated! She's > only 15 mos. so we want to make sure this is done right while she's in > the rapid growth period. Thanks.> Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.