RemedySpot.com

Effect of Straterra on EEG?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Has anyone answered this? I'm curious about it too - have a new client who is on it."Glenn Weiner, Ph.D." <glennweiner@...> wrote:

Does anyone know how Straterra effects a person’s EEG?

Thanks much,

Glenn

Glenn Weiner, Ph.D.

Dominion Behavioral Healthcare

703 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 101

Richmond, VA 23236

(804)794-4482 glennweiner@... www.BiofeedbackForTheBrain.com

Guest guest

Jack stone at Q metrrx would most likely have the answer to this one. I am copying this to his significant other type person thingy.

Hank Mann

Henry Mann, MDWork 860-536-6023Cell 860-705-9211188 Wolf Neck RoadStonington, CT 06378

Guest guest

Hey folks

This is way oversimplified, and may be nothing new to you at all. (actually I find the action of some antidepressants the most confusing on what I see when I train kids... it's like their EEG is far more active, and yet, SOME (definitely all) of their symptoms are decreased.

Anyway .. Stimulant drugs increase levels of the neurotransmitter chemicals dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin. Higher levels of dopamine are thought to reduce hyperactivity, while an increase in norepinephrine improves attention. A norepinephrine inhibitor should (in theory) act as a stimulant without being a stimulant ... make sense... I've never seen to much difference really, however, stimulant medication is proposed to reduce cortical slowing (which makes sense) and strattera just a bastard cousin could probably do the same thing. We might conclude then that theta/beta ratios would be more "normalized"

This is one study that might be of some interest.

Would like to hear more from others

The effects of stimulant therapy, EEG biofeedback, and parenting style on the primary symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Monastra VJ, Monastra DM, S.FPI Attention Disorders Clinic, 2102 E. Main Street, Endicott, New York 13760, USA. poppidoc@...One hundred children, ages 6-19, who were diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), either inattentive or combined types, participated in a study examining the effects of Ritalin, EEG biofeedback, and parenting style on the primary symptoms of ADHD. All of the patients participated in a 1-year, multimodal, outpatient program that included Ritalin, parent counseling, and academic support at school (either a 504 Plan or an IEP). Fifty-one of the participants also received EEG biofeedback therapy. Posttreatment assessments were conducted both with and without stimulant therapy. Significant improvement was noted on the Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA; L. M. Greenberg, 1996) and the Attention Deficit Disorders Evaluation Scale (ADDES; S. B. McCarney, 1995) when participants were tested while using Ritalin. However, only those who had received EEG biofeedback sustained these gains when tested without Ritalin. The results of a Quantitative Electroencephalographic Scanning Process (QEEG-Scan; V. J. Monastra et al., 1999) revealed significant reduction in cortical slowing only in patients who had received EEG biofeedback. Behavioral measures indicated that parenting style exerted a significant moderating effect on the expression of behavioral symptoms at home but not at school.

Guest guest

I meant "definitely NOT all of their symptoms are decreased

From: Key [mailto:danielkey@...] Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 8:00 AM Subject: RE: Effect of Straterra on EEG?

Hey folks

This is way oversimplified, and may be nothing new to you at all. (actually I find the action of some antidepressants the most confusing on what I see when I train kids... it's like their EEG is far more active, and yet, SOME (definitely all) of their symptoms are decreased.

Anyway .. Stimulant drugs increase levels of the neurotransmitter chemicals dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin. Higher levels of dopamine are thought to reduce hyperactivity, while an increase in norepinephrine improves attention. A norepinephrine inhibitor should (in theory) act as a stimulant without being a stimulant ... make sense... I've never seen to much difference really, however, stimulant medication is proposed to reduce cortical slowing (which makes sense) and strattera just a bastard cousin could probably do the same thing. We might conclude then that theta/beta ratios would be more "normalized"

The effects of stimulant therapy, EEG biofeedback, and parenting style on the primary symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Monastra VJ, Monastra DM, S.FPI Attention Disorders Clinic, 2102 E. Main Street, Endicott, New York 13760, USA. poppidoc@...One hundred children, ages 6-19, who were diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), either inattentive or combined types, participated in a study examining the effects of Ritalin, EEG biofeedback, and parenting style on the primary symptoms of ADHD. All of the patients participated in a 1-year, multimodal, outpatient program that included Ritalin, parent counseling, and academic support at school (either a 504 Plan or an IEP). Fifty-one of the participants also received EEG biofeedback therapy. Posttreatment assessments were conducted both with and without stimulant therapy. Significant improvement was noted on the Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA; L. M. Greenberg, 1996) and the Attention Deficit Disorders Evaluation Scale (ADDES; S. B. McCarney, 1995) when participants were tested while using Ritalin. However, only those who had received EEG biofeedback sustained these gains when tested without Ritalin. The results of a Quantitative Electroencephalographic Scanning Process (QEEG-Scan; V. J. Monastra et al., 1999) revealed significant reduction in cortical slowing only in patients who had received EEG biofeedback. Behavioral measures indicated that parenting style exerted a significant moderating effect on the expression of behavioral symptoms at home but not at school.

Guest guest

I meant "definitely NOT all of their symptoms are decreased

From: Key [mailto:danielkey@...] Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 8:00 AM Subject: RE: Effect of Straterra on EEG?

Hey folks