RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: boycott costco raw almonds

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Any "raw" almonds that you buy from anyone, other than the grower, have been pasteurized. It's been a law for a few years and they can still label them as raw because they aren't heated over a certain temp, or something like that. You can buy truly raw Italian almonds, at some stores, though. I order directly from the grower. Not cheap, but at least I know they're raw. JodiSent from my iPhone

Guest guest

I'll continue to buy them at Costco, thank you!!Ginny From: runner_dude <christopher_cms@...> vitamix < > Sent: Monday, July 2, 2012 4:40 PM Subject: boycott costco raw almonds

spread the word ...

whatever happened to full disclosure ?

i'm really angry with costco ...

by the way, trader joes uses steam

to pasteurize their raw almonds

spread the word

chris

----- Forwarded Message -----From: Costco MemberServices <memberservice@...>christopher_cms@... Sent: Monday, July 2, 2012 8:59 AMSubject: Re: Warehouse Product Information [#3716708]

Dear We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale.

The Kirkland Signature Almonds are pasteurized by Propylene Oxide (PPO) treatment.

Propylene Oxide (PPO) treatment: PPO is also a surface treatment which has been approved for use on foods since 1958, and is widely used for a variety of foods such as other nuts, cocoa powder and spices. PPO is very effective at reducing harmful bacteria on almonds and poses no risk to consumers. In fact, PPO residue dissipates after treatment. The effectiveness and safety of this process was revalidated in July 2006, when PPO underwent a stringent re-registration process with the environmental Protection Agency. The EPA confirmed that PPO poses no health risk.

The treatment does not affect the nutritional and sensory characteristics of almonds. A number of other commonly consumed foods, such as milk, juice, eggs and canned foods are pasteurized in order to ensure safety by removing bacteria that can make consumers ill. While almond pasteurization achieves this same safety factor, the processes used for almonds are slightly different in that they only treat the surface. Since consumers choose almonds for their taste as well as their health benefits, to augment the government research findings the Almond Board has invested in independent expert and lab analyses of pasteurized and un-pasteurized almonds. As stated above, those tests reveal that there is no degradation of the taste, quality or nutritional value of

treated almonds.

Please let us know if there is anything else we may assist you with.

Thank you,Toby Costco Wholesale CorporationNote this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 06/30/2012 19:51:24 PSTComment/Suggestion/Request/Question Text:hi ...i just read that kirkland raw almonds(the 3 pound bags) are pasteurizedusing jet fuel ... this is all over the internet ...can you please let me know officiallyhow kirkland raw almonds are pasteurized ...?by law, all raw almonds must be pasteurized ...i live in california and ama costco member ...thanks,christopher

Guest guest

the only place I know of that you can purchase almonds that are not treated is to purchase them from the grower and then it is hard. Green smoothie girl does a group purchase on her sight once a year from a grower that are not treated. You can go online and get on her list and next year when she purchases you can get some. Becky

Guest guest

Jodi,Where do you get your raw almonds? Would you please send me the info? I've been buying them mostly at Costco and sometimes at WFM. We don't have a Trader Joes... :(Thanks!Chryste

Guest guest

Chryste - A woman in our homeschool co op gets them in bulk for our group from, I think, The Nutty Guys.  When I've bought them online, I've bought them from here:  

http://www.california-almonds.com/  We don't have Trader Joes here, either.  I feel your pain.  Sigh!JodiOn Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Foxlore <foxloretft@...> wrote:

Jodi,Where do you get your raw almonds? Would you please send me the info? I've been buying them mostly at Costco and sometimes at WFM. We don't have a Trader Joes... :(

Thanks!Chryste

Guest guest

No almonds labeled " raw " in stores in the US are natural and raw...they are either sprayed with PPO (a very bad cancer-causing chemical) or cooked with steam.  " Truly raw " almonds must be bought directly from a grower or from another country (imported raw almonds are raw).  It annoys me that this isn't revealed on the labels.

I posted a long list of sources for " truly raw " almonds not long ago-you can search the archives if you want to find out places and prices.-- 

Guest guest

hello i cant afford them online i live in NJ where else can i get them or know how there processed, survied cancer last year and i have to watch what goes into my body. We bjs trader joes and whole foods. blessings Joe From: berlinsmith <berlinsmith@...> Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 11:07 AM Subject: Re: boycott costco raw almonds

Hi-- I buy almonds directly from this farm (Briden Farm): http://homegrownalmonds.com/index.html I've ordered from them for a couple years now and their almonds are excellent! -Amber

Guest guest

<<hello i cant afford them online i live in NJ where else can i get them or know how there processed, survied cancer last year and

i have to watch what goes into my body. We bjs trader joes  and whole foods.                                   blessings Joe>>Joe,I shared a bunch of sources of truly raw almonds a couple months ago.  The cheapest (non-organic) was $5.27 a pound, including shipping.  They sell the " fake raw " almonds in local stores for $5 a pound, so that price seems reasonable to me.  Of course, you have to get 50 lbs at once!  It might work if you set up a group of local people who will split the order with you.  Also, imported almonds are usually truly raw--you might find those locally for a decent price.

--