RemedySpot.com

Re: Penzey's vs blend it up

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Where do you find the " blend it up kit " at Costco?  On the Spice isle?RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, *praise* God. Difficult moments, *seek* God. Quiet moments, *worship* God. Painful moments, *trust* God. Every moment, *thank* God.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM, kristenshallcross <kristenshallcross@...> wrote:

Hi,

I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly liked from there.

Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the blend it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there anything at penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little jars rather than the big ones I purchased at Costco.

Now that it is getting cold out, I am using my vitamix mostly for soups!

Thanks,

A question about soups. I too am making more soups. I just made the potato soup adn teh flavor was great, but it was very very foamy. Should I use the same method that us used in the smoothies to get rid of the foam? Any suggestions?

~Kathy

Hello Kathy,Yes, slowing down the blade speed until there is just a tiny vortex at the top, and slowly stirring the top to help the bubbles get sucked down into this hole, should help reduce the foam. Sometimes, just scooping off some of the foam helps too…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 5, 2012, at 2:00 PM, Kathy Lennon wrote:

A question about soups. I too am making more soups. I just made the potato soup adn teh flavor was great, but it was very very foamy. Should I use the same method that us used in the smoothies to get rid of the foam? Any suggestions?

~Kathy

Hello Rena,The Blend It Up is only sold through the demonstrators during a Road Show. Or, at their website. If you go to the recipe page of my website, you can find a discount code for 20% off. This code is listed in the Tortilla Soup recipe, and I believe, the Salsa recipe as well.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 5, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

Where do you find the "blend it up kit" at Costco? On the Spice isle?RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, *praise* God. Difficult moments, *seek* God. Quiet moments, *worship* God. Painful moments, *trust* God. Every moment, *thank* God.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM, kristenshallcross <kristenshallcross@...> wrote:

Hi,

I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly liked from there.

Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the blend it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there anything at penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little jars rather than the big ones I purchased at Costco.

Thanks,

I tried the southwest blend.

Tony

Penzey's vs blend it up

Hi,I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly liked from there.Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the blend it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there anything at penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little jars rather than the big ones I purchased at Costco.Now that it is getting cold out, I am using my vitamix mostly for soups!Thanks,

Ahh, that explains why I never saw it on the spice isle (LOL!).  Would the cost be about the same to purchase it during a show compared to using the coupon?  

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Hello Rena,The Blend It Up is only sold through the demonstrators during a Road Show.  Or, at their website.  If you go to the recipe page of my website, you can find a discount code for 20% off.  This code is listed in the Tortilla Soup recipe, and I believe, the Salsa recipe as well.

Blessings,Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.VitamixLady.com

))><'>www..com<:)))><

Where do you find the " blend it up kit " at Costco?  On the Spice isle?RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Hi,

Thanks,

You could ask the sales person. I think I might do that next time I am there. Its probaly just a all natural spice blend. (like lawrys w/o the msg) From: Wes Thierry <westhierry@...> Sent: Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:03 PM Subject: Re: Penzey's vs blend it up

for those of us who are not near a roadshow and want to try an off the shelf substitute for blend it up are there any suggestions?

The closest I've ever come to re-creating the flavor of Blend It Up, is to get some Taco Spice Mix (getting it from an organic source would be best) and making a 50/50 blend of Taco Spice Mix with Ground Cumin. The better and more flavorful the Taco Spice Mix, the better the flavor your soup will be. What I like about the Blend It Up is a "fresh" veggie flavor - I've never found anything with the dehydrated veggies (onion, garlic, red and green bell peppers, and cilantro) that comes in Blend It Up.But the 50/50 blend of Taco Spice Mix with Cumin will come as close as possible…

On Jan 5, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Wes Thierry wrote:

for those of us who are not near a roadshow and want to try an off the shelf substitute for blend it up are there any suggestions?

Using the coupon, you can choose to buy one bottle. At the Road Show, you can only buy the 3-pack. Lately, the 3-pack is 2 of Blend It Up, and one of Italian Seasoning.

On Jan 5, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Rena Glubay wrote:

Ahh, that explains why I never saw it on the spice isle (LOL!). Would the cost be about the same to purchase it during a show compared to using the coupon?

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Hello Rena,The Blend It Up is only sold through the demonstrators during a Road Show. Or, at their website. If you go to the recipe page of my website, you can find a discount code for 20% off. This code is listed in the Tortilla Soup recipe, and I believe, the Salsa recipe as well.

Blessings,Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.VitamixLady.com

))><'>www..com<:)))><

Where do you find the "blend it up kit" at Costco? On the Spice isle?RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Hi,

Thanks,

Hello ,It is more of a "Southwest Spice" flavor than a general natural spice blend. I have both and they are very different. :-)

On Jan 5, 2012, at 3:08 PM, jeremy wethal wrote:

You could ask the sales person. I think I might do that next time I am there. Its probaly just a all natural spice blend. (like lawrys w/o the msg) From: Wes Thierry <westhierry@...> Sent: Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:03 PM Subject: Re: Penzey's vs blend it up

_Hi ,

I use Penzey's Arizona Dreaming which is a SouthWest blend. Can't say how

that compares to Blend it up, sorry. Lucky you to have a store near you. Enjoy

and be sure to smell all those luscious samples! Be sure to sign up for their

catalog. They often have coupons for freebies with your purchases, either online

or in the store.

Carol K

I tried the southwest blend.

Tony

Penzey's vs blend it up

Hi,

I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I

never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly

liked from there.

Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the

blend it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there

anything at penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little

jars rather than the big ones I purchased at Costco.

Thanks,

I had my quarterly post throat cancer checkup today at the Cleveland Clinic. That went well I am glad to say.   When I go to Cleveland I like to stop at the West Side Market because it not only a great place to buy fruits and vegetables and ethnic foods from around the world it is also a great place to see.  When I got there I looked across the street and low and behold there was a Penzeys Store so I thought I would go in and check it out.  I shouldn't have though; I think I walked out with half the store.  I did buy the Arizona Dreaming blend because it had no sodium.  I also have a bottle of Blend It Up Southwest blend and I did a finger test of each.  I find them both similar but the Arizona Dreaming had a little more bite to it but both are good.  I have made the Tortilla Soup with the Blend It Up and I enjoyed it.  I also got a bag of Penzeys Forward.  It is a blend of mostly peppers and it smelled like it would be a great addition to beans. I also noticed Penzeys carries soup bases.  I have been using Minor's Soup bases for years.  As I understand Minor's soup bases are used in many restaurants and Minor's is located in Cleveland too.  As it happens I was also going to pick up some Minor's this trip as well because I was almost out.  The great thing about both bases the first ingredient is beef if buying beef stock or chicken if buying chicken stock and so on.  No bouillon cubes can say the same that I know of.  Minor's makes a low sodium version of most stocks and since my wife and I watch closely our sodium intake it is perfect.  The sodium content of both beef and chicken base is 135mg per serving.  The Penzeys beef base has 560mg and the chicken base has 610mg but that doesn't break the bank so I got both to compare with my beloved Minor's.  Both have a long shelf life and I make enough sauces and soups I am sure I'll use them all.  I also splurged a little and got a ham base at Penzeys too.  It has 740mg per serving but I love bean soup and there is nothing better than a ham stock to cook the beans in. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ckarnes@...Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 6:35 PM Subject: Re: Penzey's vs blend it up _Hi ,I use Penzey's Arizona Dreaming which is a SouthWest blend. Can't say how that compares to Blend it up, sorry. Lucky you to have a store near you. Enjoy and be sure to smell all those luscious samples! Be sure to sign up for their catalog. They often have coupons for freebies with your purchases, either online or in the store.Carol K__________________________________________________________I tried the southwest blend.Tony-----Original Message-----From: kristenshallcrossSent: Jan 5, 2012 1:27 PM Subject: Penzey's vs blend it up Hi,I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly liked from there.Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the blend it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there anything at penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little jars rather than the big ones I purchased at Costco.Now that it is getting cold out, I am using my vitamix mostly for soups!Thanks,

---- Tom Matuschak <pmatus@...> wrote:<< ..... When I got there I looked

across the street and low and behold there was a Penzeys Store so I thought I

would go in and check it out. I shouldn't have though; I think I walked out

with half the store.....>>>

Ahh, Tom, but it was fun, wasn't it?? (I did the same thing when I went to

Buffalo.) There was a small independent spice store in a strip mall here in

Canandaigua for awhile. I kept thinking that I needed to stop in there, but

never got around to it. Then the next thing I knew, it was gone. Feel bad that I

never got in there...apparently I probably could have kept them in business

single-handed!! Let us know how your like the soup bases. Didn't get any of

those but have used up all of my others, so I need to replenish the supply and I

would be interested in your opinion of the Penzeys offerings.

Carol K

________________________________________________________________________________\

> I also noticed Penzeys carries soup bases. I have been using Minor's Soup

bases for years. As I understand Minor's soup bases are used in many

restaurants and Minor's is located in Cleveland too. As it happens I was also

going to pick up some Minor's this trip as well because I was almost out. The

great thing about both bases the first ingredient is beef if buying beef stock

or chicken if buying chicken stock and so on. No bouillon cubes can say the

same that I know of. Minor's makes a low sodium version of most stocks and

since my wife and I watch closely our sodium intake it is perfect. The sodium

content of both beef and chicken base is 135mg per serving. The Penzeys beef

base has 560mg and the chicken base has 610mg but that doesn't break the bank so

I got both to compare with my beloved Minor's. Both have a long shelf life and

I make enough sauces and soups I am sure I'll use them all. I also splurged a

little and got a ham base at Penzeys too. It has 740mg per serving but I love

bean soup and there is nothing better than a ham stock to cook the beans in.

> Tom

________________________________________________________________________________\

> From:

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of

ckarnes@...

> Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 6:35 PM

>

> Subject: Re: Penzey's vs blend it up

> _Hi ,

> I use Penzey's Arizona Dreaming which is a SouthWest blend. Can't say how that

compares to Blend it up, sorry. Lucky you to have a store near you. Enjoy and be

sure to smell all those luscious samples! Be sure to sign up for their catalog.

They often have coupons for freebies with your purchases, either online or in

the store.

> Carol K

>

> __________________________________________________________

> I tried the southwest blend.

> Tony

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: kristenshallcross

> Sent: Jan 5, 2012 1:27 PM

>

> Hi,

> I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I

never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly

liked from there.

> Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the blend

it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there anything at

penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little jars rather

than the big ones I purchased at Costco.

> Now that it is getting cold out, I am using my vitamix mostly for soups!

> Thanks,

>

Carol you are right I did have a great time exploring all the spices they have.  Penzeys has a jar by each spice so you can smell test it before buying.  This weekend we have our 3 grandchildren because their parents are working the RV Show in Cleveland.  My son in law is the general manager of a local RV dealership.   We went today to Cleveland to see the show.  That makes two days in a row for me going to Cleveland.  We did not stop at Penzeys this time though!  Tonight I cooked some chicken, rice and with a can of low sodium pinto beans.  It was a simple meal because we got back a little later then I thought from the show.  In the beans I put a little of Penzeys Forward and a touch of taco sauce and everyone loved it including my finicky eating grandchildren.  When I smelled Forward in the store I was sure it would be great in some beans and it was. I was near Canandaigua last summer.  We stayed at the Mirbeau Inn in Skaneateles.  The Mirbeau is a great place in a beautiful area. I have not tried Penzeys soup bases yet but I have Minor's and it is good.  If you want to try some here is a link.  This place sells a lot more Minor's stuff then the web site shows so it may be worth a call to see what they have to offer.  The low sodium bases are under Low or Reduced Sodium on the products on the left.http://soupbase.com/view.asp?cid=2668 Amazon offers some Minor's stuff too.  At this link you can read some reviews.http://www.amazon.com/Minors-Original-Formula-Beef-Base/dp/B0001GUQ20 Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ckarnes@...Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 5:50 PM Subject: RE: Penzey's vs blend it up ---- Tom Matuschak <pmatus@...> wrote:<< ..... When I got there I looked across the street and low and behold there was a Penzeys Store so I thought I would go in and check it out. I shouldn't have though; I think I walked out with half the store.....>>>Ahh, Tom, but it was fun, wasn't it?? (I did the same thing when I went to Buffalo.) There was a small independent spice store in a strip mall here in Canandaigua for awhile. I kept thinking that I needed to stop in there, but never got around to it. Then the next thing I knew, it was gone. Feel bad that I never got in there...apparently I probably could have kept them in business single-handed!! Let us know how your like the soup bases. Didn't get any of those but have used up all of my others, so I need to replenish the supply and I would be interested in your opinion of the Penzeys offerings.Carol K__________________________________________________________ > I also noticed Penzeys carries soup bases. I have been using Minor's Soup bases for years. As I understand Minor's soup bases are used in many restaurants and Minor's is located in Cleveland too. As it happens I was also going to pick up some Minor's this trip as well because I was almost out. The great thing about both bases the first ingredient is beef if buying beef stock or chicken if buying chicken stock and so on. No bouillon cubes can say the same that I know of. Minor's makes a low sodium version of most stocks and since my wife and I watch closely our sodium intake it is perfect. The sodium content of both beef and chicken base is 135mg per serving. The Penzeys beef base has 560mg and the chicken base has 610mg but that doesn't break the bank so I got both to compare with my beloved Minor's. Both have a long shelf life and I make enough sauces and soups I am sure I'll use them all. I also splurged a little and got a ham base at Penzeys too. It has 740mg per serving but I love bean soup and there is nothing better than a ham stock to cook the beans in. > Tom __________________________________________________________> From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ckarnes@...> Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 6:35 PM> > Subject: Re: Penzey's vs blend it up > _Hi ,> I use Penzey's Arizona Dreaming which is a SouthWest blend. Can't say how that compares to Blend it up, sorry. Lucky you to have a store near you. Enjoy and be sure to smell all those luscious samples! Be sure to sign up for their catalog. They often have coupons for freebies with your purchases, either online or in the store.> Carol K> > __________________________________________________________> I tried the southwest blend.> Tony> > -----Original Message-----> From: kristenshallcross> Sent: Jan 5, 2012 1:27 PM> > Hi, > I remember about a year ago, someone raved about a penzey's spice store. I never heard of it and didn't save the post.....and what they had particularly liked from there.> Well, low and behold, a penzey's just opened up in my town. I bought the blend it up kit at Costco last month and have not opened it yet. Is there anything at penzey's that would be similar? I am thinking I just need little jars rather than the big ones I purchased at Costco.> Now that it is getting cold out, I am using my vitamix mostly for soups!> Thanks,>