Rate this topic

Guest guest

There are frequent conversations/questions about Alpha-Theta training on

this list. Until recently I was too busy focused on trying to do what I

needed to do for my daughter to pay much attention to anything else. Now, I

would like to understand A-T training and was unable to find anything

specific by doing an archive search.

Have there been any articles about it? I would like to know when someone

would consider using it, what exactly it does, and how does one do it.

Thanks,

D

Guest guest

This is a nice short question that would require a LONG answer to be at all

complete.

Alpha/Theta (A/T) is one of the oldest protocols in brain training. It is

used to take a client to the level where he/she enters a hypnagogic state,

the same place you go to when you are drifting off to sleep and just about

there...but not quite. It is based on the facts that, for most adult

brains, alpha is a waking state and theta is a twilight state, either

waiting to fall asleep or actually in stage 2 sleep. When alpha is higher,

the client is awake and present; when theta is higher, the client is more

likely to be asleep at some early level.

Remember that alpha is defined (by many) as 8-12 Hz, where theta is defined

as 3-7. Hence, when lots of brain cells which were firing 8 times a second

slow down just enough to " cross over " to the 7 Hz theta state (which, by

the way, is a prime speed for visualization) we enter that twilight state

where we are observers at the well of our own subconscious.

With neurofeedback, it is possible to " hold " a client at the point where

the brain " crosses over " from the waking to the twilight sleep state. At

this place, we are at the interface between the conscious and sub-conscious

parts of our mind. Hence, it is a place where subconscious material can be

accessed, re-programed and/or integrated into our more conscious awareness.

That makes this kind of training both potentially very powerful and also

potentially somewhat risky.

If a client has hidden emotional material, as many Disconnect client may,

it is possible that jumping right into A/T can result in what is called an

" abreaction " , which is basically a re-experiencing of traumatic old

emotional material. Not just remembering--actually going there and feeling

it all over again. In skilled hands, and when it doesn't catch the trainer

by surprise, this can be handled to good therapeutic effect. In fact, one

of the earlier uses of A/T was with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and

especially with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality),

where it was used specifically to take the client to the point of

abreacting, which was considered to be the only way to re-integrate the

split-off parts of their experience. The work of Penniston and Kulkowsky

with chronic alcoholics using A/T created a somewhat gentler picture,

suggesting that old material could be integrated without the painful

abreaction process. Whether or not this is true remains a point of

disagreement. , for example, is a strong believer in the need to

abreact (see his posts on mesolimbic scripting or MLS); Val Brown, Bill

and others (including me, though I'm not a pro in this area) believe

the effects can be very powerful and lasting without abreaction.

So, assuming you aren't interested in abreactive experience, the protocol

problem in doing A/T is:

1. Get the client into the alpha state (the non-judgmental observer)

2. Take the client in that observer state down to the cross-over point at

the visualizing entrance to theta

3. Avoid going all the way down into the very slow theta states (3-5Hz)

where either abreaction or sleep are likely to occur.

I generally recommend that trainers not do A/T with a client until they

have done some other training first (preferably something that will

actually help stabilize and increase flexibility for that particular

brain). I also recommend that you don't do A/T with anyone who isn't able

to produce an alpha/theta ratio with eyes closed in the parietal lobes of

about 1.5 or higher. If a client can't get into the alpha state, then

alpha/theta becomes theta/theta and it's just a kind of extended daydream.

I believe I have posted a couple times the protocol I use with BrainMaster

to do A/T, though I greatly prefer using a Waverider or using BioExplorer

software with the BrainMaster, both of which give much greater sound

options. Since this training is done with eyes closed, sound is all you

have to hang on to, and beeps and clicks are not particularly useful in

terms of supporting the desired state.

I hope this is helpful, and I hope others who have worked with this

fascinating modality will chime in with their thoughts and experiences as

well.

Pete

VanDeusen

Practical Brain Training.

305/251-0337

pvdadp@...

Re: Alpha-Theta question

Have there been any articles about it? I would like to know when someone

would consider using it, what exactly it does, and how does one do it.

Thanks,

D

Guest guest

Alpha-Theta is very powerful to help curtail the effect of sub-cortical loops or programmed reactions, Still the skill of learning to let go and not hold in emotional trauma, judgmental thinking and misperceptions based on interpretations of observations are learned skills. Read "The Unteathered Soul" by Singer.

Reich

jreichnan@...

Alpha-theta question

We're newbies to braintraining, following the training program that Pete developed.. Since we have our own equipment we can do several sessions a week. I, Jody, have been through the training cycle 4 or 5 times now and had very stong reactions from the alpha-theta on 2 occasions. I had small reactions during the session but got hit with much "emotional detox" a day or two later. Now, I know there is plenty of garbage down in my "basement" so my question is: can you clean it out without all this emotional baggage coming up? Are there other protocols to soothe the mind after such a "detox"--especially related to sleep? Or any other ideas?

The one time I, Vicki, did the one alpha-theta seesion, I had a strong reaction. I have severe PTSD from horrific childhood abuse and I cried for several hours after the alpha-theta session. I still have 7 kids at home who were wondering around asking why I was crying so much. Is this to be expected? I do want to get rid of or minimize the PTSD, but do not want to traumatize my kids with my reaction to alpha-theta. Or maybe is was something esle. So my question is, should I expect this reaction with alpha-theta and if so, what can I do to minimize it? Or should I just expcet it and find a private place to get rid of the emotions.?

Guest guest

Vicki and Jody,You are doing A/T every fifth session, as suggested in the training plan, right?  If you are doing 4 sessions of your identified training, then one A/T, and having uncomfortable reactions, then try doing A/T only every 10 sessions for a while.

You can " suggest " to your brain several times a day during the 3-4 days preceding an A/T session that you would prefer that it bring up material that is less upsetting to you (though usually brains do that on their own).  Don't forget the powerful ability to prepare a visualization to carry into the session.  If there is a a behavior or habit that you would like to change, visualize yourself in detail going into a situation that would normally trigger that behavior (or has recently done so).  But change the script.  When you get to the point in the visualization where you would normally do X, take a breath and smile and do Y instead.  See yourself doing it.  Once you have run through the visualization once or twice, your brain will normally begin bringing up material of its own, and you can drop the visualization.  You are carrying a new program into your subconscious--an image-based program, since imagery is the language of the subconscious--and dropping it there.  Repeat these several times over several sessions, and you'll be surprised how the patterns begin to change automatically.

Another thing to mention:  The first goal of A/T is to move into the still/present " observer " state, where you are watching what is happening within and around you--that's alpha.  The visualization will help carry you down into theta (the 7Hz visualization and memory state), but if you can go there as an observer, that " distance " will help you deal with what the brain brings up without falling into it quite so hard.

One thing that I find very helpful--absent a therapist you can talk with after the session (I know you guys don't live near much of anything)--is to either write or (even easier) get yourself a little digital recorder.  After the session, you may choose to keep your eyes closed and just dictate what you remember, how you felt, any connections that come up for you, etc.  Some people prefer to get up and go out for a walk and do the same thing.  As with dreams, in many cases moving the imagery and memories into language helps to integrate the left and right sides of the experience and remove its more primitive power.

It's no surprise to you that all that stuff is down there, and probably you are well aware that it will have to be integrated for you to be able truly to let it go and move past it, but it should not be a frightening or seriously painful process.  As for the children, it is an opportunity to tell your young ones--all of whom have their own historical issues to deal with--that finding some of those things and facing them as an observer of your own past and current life, is a part of getting better.  When they see you crying, if they understand that it is something you are choosing to do--to let out tears that have been dammed up for many years, because you want to reclaim the parts of yourself that have been submerged beneath them--it won't be scary but hopeful.  And as they see the new yous emerging from the process, it will be a very positive  model for them.

Pete-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com

USA 678 224 5895BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Vicki Dalia <20.vicki@...> wrote:

We're newbies to braintraining, following the training program that Pete developed..  Since we have our own equipment we can do several sessions a week. I, Jody, have been through the training cycle 4 or 5 times now and had very stong reactions from the alpha-theta on 2 occasions.  I had small reactions during the session but got hit with much " emotional detox "  a day or two later.  Now, I know there is plenty of garbage down in my " basement " so my question is:  can you clean it out without all this emotional baggage coming up?  Are there other protocols to soothe the mind after such a " detox " --especially related to sleep?  Or any other ideas?

The one time I, Vicki, did the one alpha-theta seesion, I had a strong reaction.  I have severe PTSD from horrific childhood abuse and I cried for several hours after the alpha-theta session. I still have 7 kids at home who were wondering around asking why I was crying so much. Is this to be expected? I do want to get rid of or minimize the PTSD, but do not want to traumatize my kids with my reaction to alpha-theta. Or maybe is was something esle. So my question is, should I expect this reaction with alpha-theta and if so, what can I do to minimize it? Or should I just expcet it and find a private place to get rid of the emotions.?